Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 21, 2019 4:56 AM

May 2018
Which video games bosses you fought are the hardest for you to defeat? Here's mine. I'm just going to put top 5.

5. Defiled Amygdala (Bloodborne)
Cheap boss since our HP is decrease by half, otherwise normal Amygdala is alright.

4. Orphan of Kos (Bloodborne)
Very fast and relentless especially 2nd phase. Can close in the gap very quickly. 1st phase I rely on back stab and need to save as much Blood Vials as possible for 2nd phase.

3. Laurence the First Vicar (Bloodborne)
Another tough fight.Has huge hit range and delayed swings.

2. Sigrun, the Valkyrie Queen(God of War 4)
I know how to counter her every move but she's faster than Orphan of Kos that you have to react very fast, otherwise, you're dead. Yeah, a non FromSoftware bosses actually beat Bloodborne bosses in difficulty.

1. Isshin, The Sword Saint (Sekiro)
FromSoftware does it again.1st phase is alright but 2nd phase with his giant spear is just hard. Big range and harder to deflect.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 21, 2019 9:02 AM

Oct 2018
-The final boss of Beyond Good & Evil (think the name was Dohm, or something like that), but that one is more of a pain in the ass because the controls are reversed for part of the battle. Never did beat the sucker.
-Necron (Final Fantasy IX) uses a cheap shot that more likely than not (depending on how your party is set up) will result in a Game Over.
-Orphan (Final Fantasy XIII) First fight, the second one is easy af. Don't know how long it took for me to finally beat this the first time.
-Abomination (Tomb Raider 1/Anniversary) This battle stuck with me when I played the PS1 version of the game for how hard it was and the Rage mechanic that was put in for Anniversary made it that much harder.
-Babel (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor) Of course I'm referring to the second stage of the battle, which was a real pain to do.

Honorable Mentions:
-Ozma (Final Fantasy IX) This optional boss is a real pain in the ass, but because you can use Shadow-damage absorbing equipment to make Doomsday heal the characters for 9999 HP, that makes things easier.
-Seymour Flux (Final Fantasy X) This battle sticks with you because of how hard it is and it's placement in the game.
-Shinryu (Dissidia Final Fantasy NT) Pain in the rump battle that is very easy to lose
-Yiazmat (Final Fantasy XII) Still haven't beat this S.O.B.
-Ultima (Final Fantasy XII) Due to the cycling magic fields this is a real pain in the butt to fight.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
May 21, 2019 9:10 AM
Mar 2011
FFXI Pre Patched warden
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 21, 2019 9:37 AM
Oct 2018
Mega man x and mega man zero have brutal bosses 😬
May 21, 2019 2:18 PM

Aug 2018
The only one that comes to mind is ornstein and smough from dark souls. Was stuck on that fucking boss for three whole weeks
May 21, 2019 2:36 PM

Feb 2015
May 21, 2019 2:40 PM

Apr 2016
Basically most mini bosses from sekiro and some of the main bosses.

Midir from dark souls 3.

Wouldn't say any bloodborne bosses were utterly difficult unless you're counting the chalice dungeon bosses.
May 21, 2019 2:41 PM

Jan 2013
Penance from Final Fantasy X.
Never managed to beat it fair and square. Only cheesed with Yojimbo.
May 21, 2019 3:22 PM

Dec 2013
How about Cerberus from DMC3? Although the game does have harder bosses later on, what makes Cerberus special is that he's the first proper boss of the game. Talk about throwing the player to the deep end. Not to mention the original Western release had increased the difficulty from the Japanese version and a limited continue system. If you didn't happen to have yellow orbs in store you had to beat the entire stage over to get another try at the boss.

The first time I played the game I got my teeth kicked in by him myself lol.
May 21, 2019 6:21 PM

Feb 2010
Sigrun's a good fight. So are Maria, Orphan, Gherman and Isshin.

But fuck Laurence. My first and last time defeating him was on NG+4. I never want to face him again.

I've yet to beat Owl (Father). Couldn't get him on my first run and went for a certain ending on my second, so I dread facing him on NG+2.
May 21, 2019 11:25 PM

Jun 2016
Devil May Cry 3 Vergil pre-Special Edition patch makes Soulsbourne look like a joke.
May 22, 2019 4:18 AM

May 2018
-Senpapi said:

Midir from dark souls 3.

Wouldn't say any bloodborne bosses were utterly difficult unless you're counting the chalice dungeon bosses.

Midir? I found him easier than Laurence or Orphan unless you referring to non DLC bosses of Bloodborne. Chalice dungeon bosses isn't that hard unless you talking about the defile one.

Vorpality said:
Devil May Cry 3 Vergil pre-Special Edition patch makes Soulsbourne look like a joke.

Did they increase the difficulty after the patch or before the patch. I play DMC 3 Special Edition when I was a kid, never found Vergil to be difficult. Not sure if I play it before or after the patch.
May 22, 2019 8:35 AM

May 2018
Hm, leaving the Dark Souls games and anything from the same developer aside, as I haven't played them...

- Demi Fiend, the secret boss from Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga gets my first mentioning. There are lots of annoying bosses in jRPGs but I think this is THE one.

- Then I'd pick The End from Metal Gear Solid 3 as it might become a true endurance round to beat that old geezer.

- Let's take something from Devil May Cry as well, Devil May Cry 3's boss Geryon (the horse with the carrier) is the one I can't stand the least. I could've mentioned the witch Nevan as well but she's more an annoyance than being hard.

- Sans from Undertale. This one requires some muscle memory and there are dozens of youtube videos that take forever for him to beat.

- And at last, Absolute Radiance from the game Hollow Knight. There is. Too. Much. To. Dodge.
May 22, 2019 9:33 AM
Jul 2018
lingering will on critical-kingdom hearts 2.5, took me 3 hours to beat legitally

orphan of kos regular ng and lawrence the first vicar ng+ in bloodborne
(i never found ludwig that difficult other then his first phase)

i would also go with manus from dark souls 1
May 22, 2019 12:09 PM

Nov 2013
i remember it took ages for my child brain to figure out how to beat psycho mantis so i'll go with that lol
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 22, 2019 1:56 PM

Jul 2017
At first, Rafe from UC4 or Liquid from MGS4, because on the hardest difficulties they can literally 1 hit KO. When you get the timing down they aren't too bad

But nothing personally compared to defiled Amygdala. Such a small space and half hp, haha nope

ArrRti said:

- And at last, Absolute Radiance from the game Hollow Knight. There is. Too. Much. To. Dodge.

Nightmare King Grim is even more of a bigger bitch especially towards the end lel
May 22, 2019 5:13 PM

Feb 2019
The singing statue at the end of Drakengard was hard if you aren't good at rhythm games.
May 23, 2019 3:15 AM

Jun 2016
Gorochu said:
-Senpapi said:

Midir from dark souls 3.

Midir? I found him easier than Laurence or Orphan unless you referring to non DLC bosses of Bloodborne. Chalice dungeon bosses isn't that hard unless you talking about the defile one.

Vorpality said:

Did they increase the difficulty after the patch or before the patch. I play DMC 3 Special Edition when I was a kid, never found Vergil to be difficult. Not sure if I play it before or after the patch.

Before the Special Edition there was a translation error in the difficulty settings so easy was normal, normal was hard, and hard was Dante Must Die.
May 23, 2019 6:30 AM

Apr 2015
For me, it was the Cruiser Palace boss from Persona 5. (not saying the boss name to avoid spoilers for those who haven't played it)
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
May 23, 2019 6:33 AM

May 2018
Vorpality said:
Gorochu said:

Before the Special Edition there was a translation error in the difficulty settings so easy was normal, normal was hard, and hard was Dante Must Die.

LOL! Anyway, for me Vergil is certainly harder than Bloodbonre bosses in the main game but still much easier than Old Hunters bosses or the Defiled Chalice.
May 23, 2019 7:09 AM

May 2018
Short_Circut said:
At first, Rafe from UC4 or Liquid from MGS4, because on the hardest difficulties they can literally 1 hit KO. When you get the timing down they aren't too bad

But nothing personally compared to defiled Amygdala. Such a small space and half hp, haha nope

ArrRti said:

Nightmare King Grim is even more of a bigger bitch especially towards the end lel

Uh, no. Nightmare King Grimm is relatively easy to learn as his attacks have no randomness. Absolute Radiance is on a whole other level. Are you sure you mean the same Radiance as me? The one from the last free DLC? Look up "Absolute Radiance" on youtube if not.
May 23, 2019 9:28 AM

Jul 2017
ArrRti said:
Short_Circut said:

Uh, no. Nightmare King Grimm is relatively easy to learn as his attacks have no randomness. Absolute Radiance is on a whole other level. Are you sure you mean the same Radiance as me? The one from the last free DLC? Look up "Absolute Radiance" on youtube if not.

Is there any other AR? But nah, yea AR is difficult more so in the second part when the platforms come up, but it's more annoying than difficult tbh because a lot of the success comes from if you can get the timing right when moving platforms. Grimm is just a clusterf*ck of speed and a barrage of attacks, plus there's barely any keen opportunities to get decent hits without sacrificing a life or 2
May 23, 2019 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
darks souls boss its teh hardest game evar owo
May 23, 2019 11:39 AM

Jul 2014
The third and final fight with Vergil in DMC3. Hot damn that bastard's fast.
Take care of yourself

May 23, 2019 3:26 PM

Dec 2013
So many people saying Vergil when I'm the only thinking Cerb was tougher... It's just because by the time you reach Vergil 3, you know that you're strong enough to beat him... I personally think that the psychological damage from being creamed by the first boss you come across was much more devastating than losing to the final boss.

Of course, Vergil 3 was easily the best fight in the game though.

@Vorpality The game was actually made deliberately harder for the American version. Apparently the Western fanbase had been really harsh on how easy the-game-that-does-not-exist was, so they ramped up the difficulty extra hard (which is kinda silly since DMC3 is already way more difficult than DMC1 and especially that other one). They even programmed a separate hard mode for it that's now called 'Very Hard' in the SE. Dante Must Die was the same in all of the versions.
May 23, 2019 4:19 PM
Jul 2018
Crono Trigger's last boss. Never managed to defeat him. Also Sigma from Mega Man X5. Same thing.
May 24, 2019 11:13 AM
Feb 2016
Lawrence the First Vicar from Bloodborne. Orphan of Kos is pretty fucking hard (in its second phase especially), but at least in the first phase it has pretty recognizable patterns.

Lawrence though is a fucking pain in the ass. The camera's wonky, he soaks up damage like nothing else, really long fucking range, and his attacks are really wide at that.

Bloodborne is one of the few games I ever platinum'd, and Lawrence accounted for a good chunk of that time.

May 24, 2019 11:15 AM

Oct 2018
For me the original Mega Man bosses.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
May 24, 2019 11:59 AM

Jan 2011
Recently, Parace l'sia from Arcana Heart.
In the past, Faust from The Legend of Dragoon, Ethereal Queen from Valkyrie Profile, Baal (final form) from Grandia and some FF optional bosses especially Omega Weapon from FFVIII.
DeathNyxMay 24, 2019 12:04 PM
May 24, 2019 2:24 PM
Jul 2018
SaiDaiOuJou's Inbachi. Pretty sure no one has beat her yet. Probably no one will beat her tbh.
May 24, 2019 11:42 PM

May 2015
Take any SNK fighting game, set it to the highest difficulty, and play arcade mode.

If you really want to push it, General from Kaiser Knuckle...
May 29, 2019 2:06 AM

Jul 2009
No boss so far has taken me longer to beat than Alma from Ninja Gaiden. All of the Soulsborne bosses were a walk in the park comparing to her. In fact, I found Ninja Gaiden to be far tougher than any of the Soulsborne games.
May 29, 2019 3:19 AM

Aug 2017
A decade ago I got the Impossible Badge for the original flash version of Meat Boy
Don't know if it counts since its levels I defeated, rather than a character. But I still consider it my hardest gaming related victory.

If it has to be literally a boss.
Then it's the overpowered wyrms in the room of death in Tales of Maj'Eyal
Roguelike mode, Insane Difficulty

I also beat the Rebel Flagship in FTL: Captains Edition on Hard Mode once, using Federation A ship

LucenianMay 29, 2019 3:23 AM
May 29, 2019 6:45 AM

May 2018
Skittles said:
No boss so far has taken me longer to beat than Alma from Ninja Gaiden. All of the Soulsborne bosses were a walk in the park comparing to her. In fact, I found Ninja Gaiden to be far tougher than any of the Soulsborne games.

I found Ninja Gaiden hard too but I won't rank it higher than SoulsBorne because a lot of the Ninja Gaiden difficulty come from annoying camera angle. The game wouldn't be that hard if it wasn't because of the camera angle.
May 31, 2019 4:17 AM

Apr 2012
The big Dracula boss from Rainbow Islands I found almost impossible to defeat even with infinite lives.

The balor in the underdark gnome encampment in Baldurs Gate 2 also sticks in the mind for some reason.
Jun 1, 2019 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
I guess the hardest one goes to to the one i still haven't beat: The OSRS Inferno. Fuck that shit.

Anyhow, Sister Friede and Midir from DS3, only played up to NG+3 tho.

Dark Souls 2... oh boy, NG+7 Lud and Zallen was absolute asscancer. Ivory king and Darklurker took me also long as fuck.

Demons Souls: Flamelurker, nuff said.

Oh yeah, DDDA: 7 Living Armor as a solo fighter, good god.
Jun 2, 2019 2:27 AM

Sep 2012
i havent played a lot of difficult games in recent years

it might of been a boss from final fantasy x, but i let @breeze- take care of them for me

so prolly one of the early bosses in dark souls, i remember giving up on that game pre early in.
Jun 2, 2019 3:38 AM

Jan 2017
Isn't dark fact from YS 1 a pretty hard boss? Dude was still pretty hard on easy, can't even imagine him on nightmare.
Jun 2, 2019 8:15 AM

Aug 2017
hate to say the obvious, but King Dice and Beppi the clown from Cuphead. i recently played it so it's fresh in my mind
Jun 2, 2019 8:46 AM

Aug 2010
chained ogre tbh, hardest boss i've ever faced.
Jun 2, 2019 10:01 AM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
The hardest boss I faced is, without a doubt, Elizabeth from Persona 3. To this day, I still haven't beaten her.
Jun 13, 2019 3:20 AM

Apr 2013
Zelda Majora's Mask Water Temple Boss will forever be my nemesis.
Jun 13, 2019 8:49 AM
Jul 2018
Any Dark Souls boss
Jun 13, 2019 11:54 AM

Jan 2019
If anybody here played Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005) I am sure they remember that little biatch Blacklist #9 Earl as being such a cheating little prick in the second race.
I ended up beating him in the Cobalt SS, but any time I am replaying the game I always skip Magic Earl the Migraine Inducer.
Jun 13, 2019 1:27 PM

Apr 2013
I'm currently working on beating Weapon's Refrain: Ultima in FFXIV.
Jun 19, 2019 8:16 AM

Oct 2015
Sigma(final form) from megaman x4 with x, died many times, u3 from resident evil 4, used all bullets and akuma full power in tekken 7
Jun 23, 2019 12:12 AM

Oct 2016
For what i remember:

- The last boss of FF XIII "Orphan", the fight took more than 2-3 hours straight from start to finish...man i was hardcore at that time
- Every damn boss in Nier Automata
- The elder dragon of the desert in Monster Hunter 3 "Jhen Mohran" that can only be fought in online coop

Jun 23, 2019 9:50 AM

May 2016
While Sister Friede's relentless attacks gave me more than enough trouble compared to everything else in Dark Souls 3, it definitely didn't compare to that damn Defiled Amygdala in Bloodborne. Most bosses didn't exceed more than 10 tries but that damn thing killed me at least 60 times with me keeping track of the count with how many Insight I've spent for summons half the time.

Jun 24, 2019 11:36 AM

Jul 2016
1) Flandere Scarlet (Touhou embodiment of scarlet devil)
This is the hardest boss I have played against it takes MONTHS of practice to beat her

2)Sans (undertale)
Don't think I need to explain this

3) The ladder on expert in MK 9
I wasn't that great in video games back then, but I remember it was really hard, might be different if I try it again
Jun 24, 2019 6:45 PM
Jul 2018
I still have nightmares of Orenstein and Smough in the first Dark Souls game.

Was not ready for the space jam.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

4 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
4 minutes ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
16 minutes ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
18 minutes ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

29 by _Nette_ »»
26 minutes ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Today

1 by Zettaiken »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.