Forum Settings
Forums

MALers having a mean score of less than 5, what makes you continue watching anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 14, 2019 12:42 PM

Aug 2016
People rate shows differently obviously.
I like to stick to the wording that MAL provides. 10 is a masterpiece, 5 is average and 1 is appaling. I have a score of ~5.5 which means the means all anime I watched is average. This is true if I think about the animes I watched. There are just few that are very good, but also quite few that are shite. Most of the anime is pretty average. You watch it, enjoy it (maybe) and forget it.
May 14, 2019 3:07 PM

Oct 2015
i have a low mean score and i don't really watch anime anymore, so nothing really makes me continue watching it.
⠀     ‧     ⠀
May 14, 2019 9:37 PM

Jul 2016
You basically answered your own question with the first question you posed
May 15, 2019 1:29 AM

Mar 2019
because i don't give a damn about their opinions as long as i find an anime interesting i watch. its about my own satisfaction and happiness.

You Can Not Build The World With Beauty!
You Need Brain And Muscle!

Oh, Seriously?

Then You Can Not Destroy The World With Beauty!
Instead, You Need Brain And Muscle To Do So!
Only People With The Most Superior Brains And Muscles
Can Be The Best At Destroying This World!
But Who Has More Superior Brain And Muscle Anyway?
Me Or Her?

May 15, 2019 1:46 AM

Oct 2016
Platypus7 said:
Having a higher mean score because you haven't watched much you found bad or mediocre is very common. Not having seen anything bad also makes differentiating between the good shows more difficult. When I first made a MAL account I had a mean score close to 8, now shows I rated 7 are 5s and 6s, shows I rated 8 are 6s and 7s etc.
I completely agree with this one, because this happened to me. I used to have 8.. Actually I started with 9. As I explored more show, I started to judge them more and more. My mindset is pretty much "Need more anime as good as the Masterpiece I scored a long time ago." Until I looked back at the show I so-called "Masterpiece".. I literally went "WTF?"
May 15, 2019 2:40 AM
Jul 2018
It's 2019 now, but almost nothing has changed since 50.000 years ago. Human is still primitive in their way of thinking.
May 15, 2019 2:46 AM
Aug 2018
I have a score of 6.61 for a reason most of the anime I've watch are all average for that I will rate like 6. 10, 9, 8 for some really good stuffs and below 5 for garbage tier *coughs* *coughs* SAO *coughs* *coughs* Naruto
May 15, 2019 2:49 AM
May 2018
Sm0ggy said:
The same reason I won't stop watching movies, reading books, listening to music or playing videogames. If you are critical enough, you will easily realise that every medium is exactly the same: "90% of everything is crap".

Best answers in this thread, I agree!
Although, I wouldn't say the "proportion of shit" is exactly the same for each medium. I find anime are 99% shit, when music is closer to 80% and movies are close to 85%.

But I agree about the idea that we don't drop the medium because we're looking for the gems, the few percents that we'll find great.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
May 15, 2019 3:04 AM

Sep 2014
Dante012 said:
Sm0ggy said:
The same reason I won't stop watching movies, reading books, listening to music or playing videogames. If you are critical enough, you will easily realise that every medium is exactly the same: "90% of everything is crap".

Although, I wouldn't say the "proportion of shit" is exactly the same for each medium. I find anime are 99% shit, when music is closer to 80% and movies are close to 85%.

But I agree about the idea that we don't drop the medium because we're looking for the gems, the few percents that we'll find great.

sure with 60 completed shows you can make a statement like '99% of anime is shit' XD
May 15, 2019 3:14 AM

Oct 2008
Yes finding diamonds hiding among the rocks, rare coins among the ordinary ones and priceless jewellery among the cheap knockoffs.

Finding an 8/10 among 20+ series I watch every season. The 9/10 among all 70+ anime I watch in a year. And maybe the 10/10 some day.
May 15, 2019 6:56 AM
May 2018
Imaishi said:
Dante012 said:

sure with 60 completed shows you can make a statement like '99% of anime is shit' XD

Obviously my list is full, I put all the stuff I watched in it, it can't be otherwise...

Please, use your brain. I'm sure you have one. The list only shows the anime I put in the list. Do you want the number of Captain Obvious, to ask for his confirmation?
Dante012May 15, 2019 7:08 AM
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
May 15, 2019 7:34 AM

Sep 2017
I drop a bad show very quickly. At the end I'm actually spending most of my time watching shows that are 5-7.

I still rate dropped show because the score represent my impression of the show (you can already judge things like visual quality, storytelling and dialogue writing within the first episode.) and that will be useful for myself if years later I consider to give a show again try.
May 15, 2019 7:45 AM

Oct 2017
Mean scores below 5 don't necessarily mean they represent their enjoyment. They may also indicate/represent how appreciative they're towards anime/any content. Now the degree of appreciation depends upon every individual. And it's upon them how they set their limits.

There are also many other reasons like how some MAL users only use a rating system of either a 1 or 10, etc. But they're all in minorities. And I do believe the above one is the main reason.
May 15, 2019 7:52 AM

Oct 2015
What baffles me more are those with below 2 mean scores. They're 100% memeing at that point or just brain damage
May 15, 2019 8:26 AM

Feb 2017
mostly all anime is average, right?
in example on automobile (car) there is only few are really master piece / high value car that you can name it. the car we saw every day not always like that.

same as anime, it is just weird if i see a guy rate only >7 on his/her entire list.

we clearly got 1 to 10 rating with 5 as average.

also it would be wierd if you dont like some car even though other might seem to be liking it. IE hating on SAO (SAO clearly is a trash btw).

or not liking a blatantly ugly car. that mentality is just stupid and such a low taste person.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
May 15, 2019 8:34 AM

Jan 2018
Jim_Heart said:
Steiner1411 said:

First of all, thanks for commenting on my post , this is what I want to know, why do some MALers have their own rating system when MAL has its own rating system? I remember someone for whom a score of 5 was still good, where MAL clearly defines 5 to be "average" , people like these fk up the ratings, I know some people dont rate seriously , but they shouldnt rate then , ratings might just look some numbers to you, but I can guarantee its means a lot to most of us.

There's a reason MAL has ratings and people should rate accurately using MAL's rating system.

Now please don't kill me guys :p

Because MAL rating system is weird.. To me for example, I am trying to use MAL score system where 10 means "masterpiece", 9 means "great", etc.. I use it because it will be easier to me to navigate the score.. But I don't know to use 1 and 2 in this system, "very bad" is enough to me, I don't know how that could be different from "horrible" or "appaling" ...

For me, a 1 is "jesus fucking christ.."

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 15, 2019 8:44 AM

Mar 2012
I don't really understand how people can be thinking like that.

I have 4,5 as mean score and I do like watching anime.
First of all I rate my dropped so my mean is lower, plus for me a 5 isn't bad for exempler. (+ I rate OAV too and they are for most of them bad)

5 = average you say it yourself. And Average doesn't mean bad. For me it's a correct show put that I don't really enjoy. A 6 is already a show that I like.

I don't really understand what is strange in my situation...

May 15, 2019 9:49 AM

Jul 2010
I cannot answer about everyone but I can give you my point of view since my mean score is 6. I rate anime based on three main things - story, enjoyment and art. To give an anime a 10 for me all of these three must be present, but it's important to mention they don't have the same weight. What I mean is that the story and character development is the most important one then is the enjoyment level and lastly is the art. For example Neon Genesis Evangelion has an amazing story/character development, I enjoyed it a lot and I gave it a 10 even tho the art is not the best but the time it is made should be taken in consideration but the other two compensate for it. If the art and the story are on point then to decide if it's an 10, 9 or an 8 depends on enjoyment.
On the other hand I've watched a lot of animes because I liked the art style and found them pretty, but when it came to everything else there were just not that good. Perfect example for me is Yuri on Ice - good art style not amazing as everybody say, but still had some nice scenes definitely watched it till the end only because of the visuals since being honest the plot was so shallow that it was sad at times. Gave it a 5.

Also another reason why I give some animes high/low scores is because of the hype - how much an anime can keep me invested and live up to the hype created by other users even if it has some flaws for example Kuroko no Basket, even though there are a lot of things which didn't made sense and it was predictable it was still very light and enjoyable for me plus the characters were likable even tho not being too deep. On the other hand a lot of people will hate me for this I gave Ano Hana a 3. Why? Simple again because of how hyped it was, users were praising it SO much, describing it being one of the best thing ever to come on screen I'm exaggerating but you get my point. For me that anime is a perfect example that in some cases it brings the expectations too high and you get disappointed by the actual material.
In the end it all goes down to personal taste and if you found something in the show which speaks to you in some way. Preferred genres also play a big role when it comes to scoring.

May 15, 2019 9:55 AM

Mar 2012
Griff-ith said:
I cannot answer about everyone but I can give you my point of view since my mean score is 6. I rate anime based on three main things - story, enjoyment and art. To give an anime a 10 for me all of these three must be present, but it's important to mention they don't have the same weight. What I mean is that the story and character development is the most important one then is the enjoyment level and lastly is the art. For example Neon Genesis Evangelion has an amazing story/character development, I enjoyed it a lot and I gave it a 10 even tho the art is not the best but the time it is made should be taken in consideration but the other two compensate for it. If the art and the story are on point then to decide if it's an 10, 9 or an 8 depends on enjoyment.
On the other hand I've watched a lot of animes because I liked the art style and found them pretty, but when it came to everything else there were just not that good. Perfect example for me is Yuri on Ice - good art style not amazing as everybody say, but still had some nice scenes definitely watched it till the end only because of the visuals since being honest the plot was so shallow that it was sad at times. Gave it a 5.

Also another reason why I give some animes high/low scores is because of the hype - how much an anime can keep me invested and live up to the hype created by other users even if it has some flaws for example Kuroko no Basket, even though there are a lot of things which didn't made sense and it was predictable it was still very light and enjoyable for me plus the characters were likable even tho not being too deep. On the other hand a lot of people will hate me for this I gave Ano Hana a 3. Why? Simple again because of how hyped it was, users were praising it SO much, describing it being one of the best thing ever to come on screen I'm exaggerating but you get my point. For me that anime is a perfect example that in some cases it brings the expectations too high and you get disappointed by the actual material.
In the end it all goes down to personal taste and if you found something in the show which speaks to you in some way. Preferred genres also play a big role when it comes to scoring.

6 is a pretty high score tho.
I rate only based on enjoyment. But enjoyment came from story, art, characters etc..

Ano Hana is garbage, worst casting ever for me if we don't count harem-ecchi and Zeta/ZZ Gundam.
May 15, 2019 10:24 AM

Jul 2010
@HaarWyvern I wouldn't say it's pretty high, it's neutral more likely neither high or low.

Haven't seen Zeta/ZZ Gundam, but really not a fan of either harem or ecchi so that explains why. Ano Hana was interesting to me until the end... that soap opera scene ruined it for me.

May 15, 2019 10:24 AM

Jun 2014
I rarely finish an anime that I rate a 6 or below, but when I, it is because I hope it gets better towards the end.
May 15, 2019 12:38 PM

Oct 2015
Griff-ith said:
@HaarWyvern I wouldn't say it's pretty high, it's neutral more likely neither high or low.

Haven't seen Zeta/ZZ Gundam, but really not a fan of either harem or ecchi so that explains why. Ano Hana was interesting to me until the end... that soap opera scene ruined it for me.
It's really easy to arrive at that mean score the more entries you have honestly. Just rating 7's across the board (which is the MAL definition of mid-tier) and occasional 4's and 3's are enough to deflate your mean score.
May 15, 2019 12:45 PM

Sep 2015
@Steiner1411
As Pullman said, using the full scale makes the most sense. Let's use us as an example, 36% of all your ratings is a 9 and 14% is a 10. Don't you think it devalues those high ratings? If I were to look at your list, half the things you've seen are rated the same, so even in the context of the rest of your ratings, it'd be hard to find out how good you really think a certain series is. It's barely different than not rating at all.

For me it's 6% for 9 and 3% for 10, so if you see that I rated something that high I really think highly of them since I don't throw these high ratings casually on anything like garbage. It's like a silver medal on the Olympics.
May 15, 2019 12:47 PM

Aug 2018
Scores do not matter. I rate pure subjetively what I see but other people may do it in other way. Mean score means nothing, because that would say that people with <5 mean score is suffering while watching anime or something like that. Everyone rates in his own criteria, but do not care about others' score, I think that is quite stupid.
May 15, 2019 1:02 PM

Aug 2017
Too much aspectation in new anime
You know, you see a good trailer with good animation and somehow interesting character but then the show is completly trash
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2019 1:14 PM

Aug 2010
for one, everyone has different value systems.

ive seen someone say he loves almost everything about a movie just to give it a 6/10
his standards are awkward but what can you say

Personally i watched a lot of stuff when i was younger, just trying out many kinds of shows and i used to be a completionist. So i would complete a lot of mediocre shows.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
May 15, 2019 4:05 PM

Dec 2017
Ah shit, here we go again. Another one of those "If you have such a low mean score it must mean you are watching bad shows, why do you watch anime if you don't enjoy it" threads.

Sorry, but i just prefer actually using the whole rating scale and not just 7-10, Like 80% on MAL does...
May 15, 2019 4:08 PM

Feb 2015
Because clearly anime is shit and the medium is so oversaturated with disgusting pedobait anime and isekai that clearly attempts to bait forever virgin otakus to fulfill their lust...

May 15, 2019 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
_Ako_ said:
Because clearly anime is shit and the medium is so oversaturated with disgusting pedobait anime and isekai that clearly attempts to bait forever virgin otakus to fulfill their lust...

Umm... uhhh... Ok? You have an interesting way with words...
May 15, 2019 4:41 PM

Apr 2018
Mainly curiosity. maybe the first few episodes are garbage maybe after a few more it will be intresting
May 15, 2019 5:37 PM

Apr 2015
If people bother to use the full-scale rating then we wouldn't have this problem in the first place.
May 15, 2019 6:07 PM

Apr 2016
because i need to watch it first so i can give it a score, if i made up my mind it's shite i drop it and give it a low score

except fairy tail because that thing is hilarious. it's like beating up your kid for the kicks of it
May 15, 2019 7:37 PM

Aug 2018
The reason I watch anime is because it makes me feel good. It gives me an odd satisfaction. But there are a lot of shows that are incredibly boring, but I watch them because anime is what makes me happy, even if it's trash. My mean score isn't under 5 YET. I also think the people with low mean are people who drop extremely fast. I usually drop the anime or put it on hold If I dislike the first episode. And some people also rate their anime by the first episode, which is odd but hey whatever.
Maloween 2020 candies

Main candies:

May 15, 2019 10:21 PM
Mar 2018
Heldengeist said:
@Steiner1411
As Pullman said, using the full scale makes the most sense. Let's use us as an example, 36% of all your ratings is a 9 and 14% is a 10. Don't you think it devalues those high ratings? If I were to look at your list, half the things you've seen are rated the same, so even in the context of the rest of your ratings, it'd be hard to find out how good you really think a certain series is. It's barely different than not rating at all.

For me it's 6% for 9 and 3% for 10, so if you see that I rated something that high I really think highly of them since I don't throw these high ratings casually on anything like garbage. It's like a silver medal on the Olympics.

My ratings are mostly based on how much I enjoyed watching them, the shows for which I have given 9, I binged watched most of them, they gave me feels, goosebumps and I would always wait for the next episode, the shows that I gave 10 are the ones which I enjoyed watching a lot and that had a very good and unique plot!

I honestly dont think it devalues those high ratings , you can see that the majority of the shows I have rated 9 and 10 have a rating of 8+ , I have a lot of 9's and 10's because I mostly watch top rated shows,I generally have an idea on what shows I'm gonna like, 95% of times Im gonna love shows that are top rated , call me normie if you will, but its just how I am lol xD, I know what shows are garbage for me (all those idol shows, isekai , ecchi etc)

Its all about perspective I guess, you guys concentrate on flaws, I concentrate on the positives
ccbestgirl1411May 15, 2019 10:39 PM
May 15, 2019 11:17 PM
Feb 2008
[quote=Steiner1411 message=57617583]
Heldengeist said:

Its all about perspective I guess, you guys concentrate on flaws, I concentrate on the positives

While some people choose to approach the rating exercise on here from a more critical standpoint, I don't think that's really the popular explanation being made in this thread. I think it's more a matter that using more of the scale enables the rater to show greater differentiation in their opinion and/or feelings towards the title, whether that is based on subjective factors like enjoyment or more pseudo-objective evaluations based on criteria such as story, characters, art, etc. This differentiation is likely especially helpful if you have a larger list. As you watch more stuff and have more points of comparison, you can more easily distinguish a cline in quality in terms of what you have seen, and the full scale provides you more room to represent that than if you were to use only 3-4 points of it.

But there's nothing wrong with doing as you do and rating a lot of anime high up on the scale. As you say, it is all a matter of perspective. People can choose to judge anime however they want according to whatever system they choose; I just don't think it's fair to assume that lower ratings than yours should be attributed to looking for flaws or being overly critical.

As to a previous point you made about people with a lower mean "fking up" the scores, I would suggest that the reason why community ratings are so warped is because so many people overrate and only use the top end of the scale, resulting in 5 equating to, not average as specified by MAL, but bad, while a 7 is around average.
May 16, 2019 3:35 AM

Jan 2019
Because see there are a lot of shows and finding an average one is much easier than finding a masterpiece or a very good show. So a mean score of around 5~6 is normal. The ones which have a mean score of 8~9 are the odd ones. Like every show u have seen is great. (Or u are just new and have seen only top shows)
May 16, 2019 10:11 AM

Aug 2016
So in some cases people end up watching a bunch of bad shows. Despite there being reviews, synopsis, genre tags, studios, staff listings, trailers, various discussions etc. I don't think mean score is affected much if a person drops it early, but they don't for some reason. It's even funnier in cases like Sword Art Online where they hated the first season, yet will watch the later seasons and shit on it (sometimes even writing a review). I've even heard people say that they will give a show a low score in order to "balance" it out. (Ex: show average was 8.2, dude thought it was good, but gave it a 3).

Though the funniest thing to me is when they give a 3 or something. And then say well that isn't a bad score because, hey at least it isn't a 1 or 2! Just because I gave it a 3-4 doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it! Makes zero sense.

But it's interesting when you think about it. On average the person will find an anime to be "bad" or "very bad". I mean at that point it's very clear that you don't enjoy it and nothing stacks up to your handful of favorites. Might be best to move on at that point.
May 16, 2019 10:15 AM
Mar 2011
my means for both anime and manga would way below fove if fully listed all my hentai i read/viewed
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 16, 2019 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
thatrpgdude said:
Users with scores lower than 5 are on a completely higher level than the rest. They are just on higher levels of thinking compared to the masses of casuals and fake anime fans.

yes, indeed.
now this is just to meet the required character count :)
May 16, 2019 12:37 PM

Sep 2015
Steiner1411 said:
I honestly dont think it devalues those high ratings , you can see that the majority of the shows I have rated 9 and 10 have a rating of 8+ , I have a lot of 9's and 10's because I mostly watch top rated shows,I generally have an idea on what shows I'm gonna like, 95% of times Im gonna love shows that are top rated , call me normie if you will, but its just how I am lol xD, I know what shows are garbage for me (all those idol shows, isekai , ecchi etc)

This really is a non-explanation. Despite enjoying something you really can't differentiate what did you enjoy more and what less. There is a 1-10 rating system here, not a like-dislike. And if you say you only watch top anime because you watch top rated anime and you can tell if an anime will be good without watching it, you lie to yourself or everyone else. You are just infinitely biased and don't move out of your comfort zone therefore you don't have experience and as a consequence, you can't tell apart better from worse. That's what I see whan I look at your ratings and reply as a package.

Steiner1411 said:

And you guess wrong. Getting pissed on everything as much as you turn your brain off would mean the opposite of you, which is a mean score of 2.
Some poeple just can't enjoy something with their brain turned off. That state called coma. And what happens when you turn on a show for comatosed people is that they will "binge watch" it and enjoy equally regardless what it is.
May 16, 2019 1:16 PM

Jun 2016
Oh shit, here we go again..........
May 16, 2019 2:00 PM

Aug 2018
Pullman said:
Another time for my copypaste for this kind of thread:

Classic "My ratings 100% represent enjoyment so I'll automatically assume that goes for every single person on this planet."
We get one of these threads about every month. But the stream of ignorant people who can't fathom any perspective aside from their own, very narrow one, is never ending it seems.

Why do people think it's a more realistic conclusion to think that someone watches anime while literally hating everything he watches than to simply consider that for them the ratings mean something different than for you? 60% of this site don't use the scores with their intended meanings and opt for only the upper half of the 1-scale. Some people just do it the other way round. It doesn't really matter at all.

Scores only are relevant in relation to each other in the first place. Nobody can tell what you really think about a show just based on a number, and everyone who thinks they can is a retard. In that sense someone with a low mean score who at least uses the whole scale makes better use of the rating system than the 6-10 only users by using it to maximum effect when it comes to differentiating between the various shows he watched and how much he liked them. He might just be splitting up his favorites from 7-10 where others only fill their 10s with it, and then work himself downwards with 6 being good, 5 being decent, 4 being okay 3 being meh and 1 and 2 being shit. Suddenly a 4 mean score means about the same as a 8.5 mean score for a 6-10 only rater.

So yeah I'm continuously impressed by how presumptuous people can get about this topic. They want to point their fingers to people and shout 'dumb elitist, you don't like anything!' or something along those lines instead of rationally thinking about how the ratings might be intended for even one minute. It's really not that hard to come to the conclusion I came to. And there are countless other ways to use the rating scale in your own way. Some result in a high mean score, others in a low mean score. But that doesn't mean it shows who likes and who hates anime. The ONLY difference is how they apply the rating scale, not how they feel while watching a show.

I really think this logic of 'I enjoy anime more than you because I rate higher' is utterly questionable to me. If YOU need to rate everything highly just to convince yourself you had some fun, that's your cross to bear. Many other people are aware that the number they attach to a series will not make any enjoyment they felt while watching disappear (or magically appear) and use the full scale to differentiate without worrying about people thinking they 'hate' anime just because they're capable of more detailed distinctions.

So basically you're already asking the wrong question that already assumes you know exactly what their scores mean and how they feel about anime of any specific score, when these are the things you should really be asking first of people with lower mean scores. If they say something like 'Most anime are average or bad', which I'm sure some will, then you can ask them why the fuck they spend so much time on it then. But most people will just give you some explanation about their rating system that boils down to them simply using lower numbers to represent the same amount of enjoyment that others will use a 7 or 8 for.

That's a really long-winded way of saying "some people are elitist"

on a scale of 1-10 anything below 5 is bad. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand this simple concept.
May 16, 2019 7:59 PM

Jan 2016
Most things that you watch in any genre are average, it’s rare to watch something outstanding. My rating don’t represent my enjoyment. Not to mention that I rate everything that I drop a (1) since I can’t sit through it long enough to finish the series. That has probably lowered my score by quite a margin.
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
May 16, 2019 9:03 PM
Jul 2018
thatrpgdude said:
Users with scores lower than 5 are on a completely higher level than the rest. They are just on higher levels of thinking compared to the masses of casuals and fake anime fans.

possible high iq comment unless you're not joking
May 17, 2019 12:10 AM
Mar 2018
Heldengeist said:
Steiner1411 said:

This really is a non-explanation. Despite enjoying something you really can't differentiate what did you enjoy more and what less. There is a 1-10 rating system here, not a like-dislike. And if you say you only watch top anime because you watch top rated anime and you can tell if an anime will be good without watching it, you lie to yourself or everyone else. You are just infinitely biased and don't move out of your comfort zone therefore you don't have experience and as a consequence, you can't tell apart better from worse. That's what I see whan I look at your ratings and reply as a package.

Steiner1411 said:

And you guess wrong. Getting pissed on everything as much as you turn your brain off would mean the opposite of you, which is a mean score of 2.
Some poeple just can't enjoy something with their brain turned off. That state called coma. And what happens when you turn on a show for comatosed people is that they will "binge watch" it and enjoy equally regardless what it is.

You are making this complicated , what makes you think that I cant differentiate what I enjoyed more and what less? Lets look at your list , you have rated about 82 anime as 9 and 10. This means that you have loved 82 shows, and I have rated about 38 shows as 9 and 10. That means I loved 38 shows. So you assumed that I can't differentiate, but you can differentiate what you enjoyed more or less? Oh you mean that you can because you have more shows rated as 6 or 5? Why dont you understand that I just watched good stuff because I know my taste?

I have already said that I enjoy and mostly watch shows that have a rating of 8 plus , you can check my list, the only 8 plus ranked shows that I havent enjoyed as much as I thought I would are
Sora Yori Ma Tooi Basho (6/10)
Koe No Katachi (6/10)

I enjoyed Mahoutsukai No Yome(8/10) , Kyoukai no Kanata(8/10) , why I have given them 8? Because I enjoyed them less when compared to the shows I have given 9 rating

I liked Death Parade(7/10) , Clannad(7/10) , but I enjoyed them less when compared to shows I've given 8.

This clearly shows that I differentiate between my scores.

And yes I do understand that this isnt a like dislike scale, or else I would just use the top two and bottom two of the scale, but as you can see that's not the case here.
I have just not watched anything terrible or appalling or very bad.

And if you say you only watch top anime because you watch top rated anime and you can tell if an anime will be good without watching it, you lie to yourself or everyone else. You are just infinitely biased and don't move out of your comfort zone therefore you don't have experience and as a consequence, you can't tell apart better from worse.

I'm not lying to myself . Read my post , I clearly said that I 95% of times enjoy something thats top rated(8 plus) , you can clearly see there were just two top rated(8 plus) shows that I didnt enjoy that as much as I thought I would, this clearly shows that I have enjoyed more than 95% of top rated (8 plus) anime I have watched.

You are just infinitely biased and don't move out of your comfort zone therefore you don't have experience and as a consequence, you can't tell apart better from worse.

I dont want to move out of my comfort zone, I watch anime for entertaining myself, and time is valuable, so I mostly wouldnt wanna take any risk by watching shows that I'm not gonna like , yes I dont have experience and probably as a whole I cant tell apart better from worse, but I can clearly tell apart better from worse from the list of anime I have watched.

Guess I'm comatosed lol
May 18, 2019 10:48 AM

Oct 2015
My desire to die meaninglessly....

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

May 18, 2019 10:53 AM

Mar 2016
WinterFB said:
I think a lot of these users even if they liked the anime, they will evaluate it in a critical way.

MeisterDM said:
They do it because they can and still find value in anime.

Pretty much sums it up right there. I'm one of them, but it's not like I don't at least enjoy even most bad shows to a certain extent.

Jun 2015
So a mean below 5 is now considered bad lol
Maybe you should realize that not everyone uses the same rating scale

May 2014
Because anime is fun, therefore I watch, it's that simple.
May 18, 2019 10:58 AM
Jul 2018
Are you more likely to watch a show that's rated 9 or 6? Obviously the 9, cause just by looking at the rating you're expecting it to be more worth your time than the show that's rated 6. It's as simple logic as that. It doesn't matter, if you aren't rating a show just about when it is on the rating scale, that anime is either clearly not your cup of tea or you've simply just got a problem.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

10 by Daviljoe193 »»
12 seconds ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

36 by Gensouori »»
27 seconds ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

25 by xthewarwithinx »»
50 seconds ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 42 minutes ago

9 by Archean-Return »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 9 hours ago

37 by Bandulf »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.