Forum Settings
Forums

MALers having a mean score of less than 5, what makes you continue watching anime?

New
May 13, 2019 8:03 AM
Mar 2018
Is it because of the hopes of finding a gem among rocks? Or do you just like watching stuff that you find average? I'm genuinely curious(not a bait thread)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 13, 2019 8:09 AM
Jan 2017
Steiner1411 said:
Is it because of the hopes of finding a gem among rocks? Or do you just like watching stuff that you find average? I'm genuinely curious(not a bait thread)

They just like watching average things.I am genuinely saying(not a bait).
May 13, 2019 8:10 AM

Feb 2010
Another time for my copypaste for this kind of thread:

Classic "My ratings 100% represent enjoyment so I'll automatically assume that goes for every single person on this planet."
We get one of these threads about every month. But the stream of ignorant people who can't fathom any perspective aside from their own, very narrow one, is never ending it seems.

Why do people think it's a more realistic conclusion to think that someone watches anime while literally hating everything he watches than to simply consider that for them the ratings mean something different than for you? 60% of this site don't use the scores with their intended meanings and opt for only the upper half of the 1-scale. Some people just do it the other way round. It doesn't really matter at all.

Scores only are relevant in relation to each other in the first place. Nobody can tell what you really think about a show just based on a number, and everyone who thinks they can is a retard. In that sense someone with a low mean score who at least uses the whole scale makes better use of the rating system than the 6-10 only users by using it to maximum effect when it comes to differentiating between the various shows he watched and how much he liked them. He might just be splitting up his favorites from 7-10 where others only fill their 10s with it, and then work himself downwards with 6 being good, 5 being decent, 4 being okay 3 being meh and 1 and 2 being shit. Suddenly a 4 mean score means about the same as a 8.5 mean score for a 6-10 only rater.

So yeah I'm continuously impressed by how presumptuous people can get about this topic. They want to point their fingers to people and shout 'dumb elitist, you don't like anything!' or something along those lines instead of rationally thinking about how the ratings might be intended for even one minute. It's really not that hard to come to the conclusion I came to. And there are countless other ways to use the rating scale in your own way. Some result in a high mean score, others in a low mean score. But that doesn't mean it shows who likes and who hates anime. The ONLY difference is how they apply the rating scale, not how they feel while watching a show.

I really think this logic of 'I enjoy anime more than you because I rate higher' is utterly questionable to me. If YOU need to rate everything highly just to convince yourself you had some fun, that's your cross to bear. Many other people are aware that the number they attach to a series will not make any enjoyment they felt while watching disappear (or magically appear) and use the full scale to differentiate without worrying about people thinking they 'hate' anime just because they're capable of more detailed distinctions.

So basically you're already asking the wrong question that already assumes you know exactly what their scores mean and how they feel about anime of any specific score, when these are the things you should really be asking first of people with lower mean scores. If they say something like 'Most anime are average or bad', which I'm sure some will, then you can ask them why the fuck they spend so much time on it then. But most people will just give you some explanation about their rating system that boils down to them simply using lower numbers to represent the same amount of enjoyment that others will use a 7 or 8 for.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 13, 2019 8:11 AM
Apr 2014
Steiner1411 said:

Looking for hidden gems. Why give a damn about scores anyway?
May 13, 2019 8:12 AM

Aug 2017
I think a lot of these users even if they liked the anime, they will evaluate it in a critical way.
May 13, 2019 8:14 AM

Nov 2017
In hope to find an anime better than Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
May 13, 2019 8:30 AM

Mar 2017
Users with scores lower than 5 are on a completely higher level than the rest. They are just on higher levels of thinking compared to the masses of casuals and fake anime fans.
May 13, 2019 8:30 AM
Mar 2018
Pullman said:
But most people will just give you some explanation about their rating system that boils down to them simply using lower numbers to represent the same amount of enjoyment that others will use a 7 or 8 for.

First of all, thanks for commenting on my post , this is what I want to know, why do some MALers have their own rating system when MAL has its own rating system? I remember someone for whom a score of 5 was still good, where MAL clearly defines 5 to be "average" , people like these fk up the ratings, I know some people dont rate seriously , but they shouldnt rate then , ratings might just look some numbers to you, but I can guarantee its means a lot to most of us.

There's a reason MAL has ratings and people should rate accurately using MAL's rating system.

Now please don't kill me guys :p
ccbestgirl1411May 13, 2019 8:34 AM
May 13, 2019 8:57 AM

Nov 2011
Steiner1411 said:
Pullman said:
But most people will just give you some explanation about their rating system that boils down to them simply using lower numbers to represent the same amount of enjoyment that others will use a 7 or 8 for.

First of all, thanks for commenting on my post , this is what I want to know, why do some MALers have their own rating system when MAL has its own rating system? I remember someone for whom a score of 5 was still good, where MAL clearly defines 5 to be "average" , people like these fk up the ratings, I know some people dont rate seriously , but they shouldnt rate then , ratings might just look some numbers to you, but I can guarantee its means a lot to most of us.

There's a reason MAL has ratings and people should rate accurately using MAL's rating system.

Because MAL rating system is weird.. To me for example, I am trying to use MAL score system where 10 means "masterpiece", 9 means "great", etc.. I use it because it will be easier to me to navigate the score.. But I don't know to use 1 and 2 in this system, "very bad" is enough to me, I don't know how that could be different from "horrible" or "appaling" ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 13, 2019 8:57 AM

Feb 2010
Steiner1411 said:
Pullman said:

The same arguments can be made about people with ridiculously high mean scores of 8+ which don't use any scores lower than 6 or 7. That's also not how the rating system was intended, only using less than half of the scale. There's plenty of people like that, or even people who just give everything on their list a 10. Imo that fucks up the ratings more than people who use the full scale even if they are gravitating toward the lower end.

As I mentioned how good someone thinks a show is and how much they enjoy it don't have to align with each other. So some people give anything they enjoyed a 7 or higher, while others will differentiate more based on additional criteria and/or biases. For example they might find a show bad and give it a 4 but still enjoy it because it's of their favorite genre, but they don't want it to be on the same level as their 7s which are shows they can appreciate on more than just the level of enjoyment.

Or in my case, I love animation and anime so even an average title from my most liked genres will always be decently enjoyable to watch. I still give them a 5 to set them apart from my 6s which I think are better. In the end the scores are always just relative to the rest of someone's list and using them in a more equal distribution across the board instead of just gravitating toward the top end (like you do for example) allows for more differentiation between different levels of like or dislike.

Arguably (and it seems some comments in this thread already agree) being able to differentiate between different levels of like is more meaningful and enjoyable and easier so some people prefer to only use 1 or 2 or 3 scores for shows they disliked, which is one reason to use your own scoring system, if you still want to use all the 10 available options. After all the site is calley MYanimelist and using it however you enjoy it the most is how it should be used. The average scores are not the primary function of this site, only a side result taken in after people use the site for their lists however they want to.

And given the large amount of users and people diverging from the intended scale in both directions, it averages out not just the actual scores but also the different rating systems people use, at least for the most part. If anything the scores tend to be skewed towards the higher end on MAL because people like that exist in larger numbers than the people that you are worrying about. So I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 13, 2019 9:00 AM

Jan 2013
Because sometimes I find a series worth 9 or 10.
That makes it all worth it.
May 13, 2019 9:08 AM
Mar 2018
Pullman said:
Steiner1411 said:

The same arguments can be made about people with ridiculously high mean scores of 8+ which don't use any scores lower than 6 or 7. That's also not how the rating system was intended, only using less than half of the scale. There's plenty of people like that, or even people who just give everything on their list a 10. Imo that fucks up the ratings more than people who use the full scale even if they are gravitating toward the lower end.

As I mentioned how good someone thinks a show is and how much they enjoy it don't have to align with each other. So some people give anything they enjoyed a 7 or higher, while others will differentiate more based on additional criteria and/or biases. For example they might find a show bad and give it a 4 but still enjoy it because it's of their favorite genre, but they don't want it to be on the same level as their 7s which are shows they can appreciate on more than just the level of enjoyment.

Or in my case, I love animation and anime so even an average title from my most liked genres will always be decently enjoyable to watch. I still give them a 5 to set them apart from my 6s which I think are better. In the end the scores are always just relative to the rest of someone's list and using them in a more equal distribution across the board instead of just gravitating toward the top end (like you do for example) allows for more differentiation between different levels of like or dislike.

Arguably (and it seems some comments in this thread already agree) being able to differentiate between different levels of like is more meaningful and enjoyable and easier so some people prefer to only use 1 or 2 or 3 scores for shows they disliked, which is one reason to use your own scoring system, if you still want to use all the 10 available options. After all the site is calley MYanimelist and using it however you enjoy it the most is how it should be used. The average scores are not the primary function of this site, only a side result taken in after people use the site for their lists however they want to.

And given the large amount of users and people diverging from the intended scale in both directions, it averages out not just the actual scores but also the different rating systems people use, at least for the most part. If anything the scores tend to be skewed towards the higher end on MAL because people like that exist in larger numbers than the people that you are worrying about. So I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for your opinions and for clearing my misconceptions, I guess I was really barking up the wrong tree! You might be right about the "scores tend to be skewed towards higher end on MAL"

P.S. - Although I disagree with one point of yours. Using less than half the scale isnt going against how the rating system was supposed to be used as, it could just mean that the said individual hasnt really found anything horrible/appaling/bad , take my ratings for instance , my mean score is 8+ because I tend to watch high rated shows and I usually love all of them that I binge watch them, the lowest score I've ever given is 4/10 for Aku no Hana, I was really enjoying the anime but the ending destroyed it for me. Have a good day!
May 13, 2019 9:11 AM
Mar 2018
CondemneDio said:
Because sometimes I find a series worth 9 or 10.
That makes it all worth it.

You've got Steins;Gate and Hunter x Hunter in your favs so I guess you are right!
May 13, 2019 9:23 AM

Sep 2017
Ah shit, there we go again.........

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

May 13, 2019 9:30 AM

Jun 2014
I'll never understand the "critic" mindset.

All these people who purposely try to find problems with what they're watching/reading come across to me as miserable people. I'm sure glad that I have no idea what a "plot hole" is, and I don't care to find out, as I just want to enjoy what I'm watching/reading.

May 13, 2019 12:05 PM

Oct 2017
Steiner1411 said:
Pullman said:

Thanks for your opinions and for clearing my misconceptions, I guess I was really barking up the wrong tree! You might be right about the "scores tend to be skewed towards higher end on MAL"

P.S. - Although I disagree with one point of yours. Using less than half the scale isnt going against how the rating system was supposed to be used as, it could just mean that the said individual hasnt really found anything horrible/appaling/bad , take my ratings for instance , my mean score is 8+ because I tend to watch high rated shows and I usually love all of them that I binge watch them, the lowest score I've ever given is 4/10 for Aku no Hana, I was really enjoying the anime but the ending destroyed it for me. Have a good day!

Having a higher mean score because you haven't watched much you found bad or mediocre is very common. Not having seen anything bad also makes differentiating between the good shows more difficult. When I first made a MAL account I had a mean score close to 8, now shows I rated 7 are 5s and 6s, shows I rated 8 are 6s and 7s etc.
May 13, 2019 12:12 PM
Aug 2011
stand 5+ years ago: I might find something that moves me and that I can treasure for a long time.

stand 2019: gay cops
May 13, 2019 12:48 PM

May 2018
Wow I like those really deep topics where some random user tells what your scores should be, what you should do with them and more importantly when you should quit watching anime.
May 13, 2019 12:53 PM
Dec 2018
My mean is not below 5, but I still feel like I can answer that from my point of view. For me a 5 still refers to a show that I enjoyed to some extend and sometimes even enjoyed in general - but me enjoying that doesnt mean that I feel like the anime itself is good
May 13, 2019 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
Engage with these people you have in mind directly instead of creating a thread questioning something as trivial as a mean score.

Engaging with one of these people directly and having a conversation with them over specific anime series, anime genres in general, etc. would prove to be far more fruitful than this thread.

That's my advice. You won't get anything substantive here nor should you.
May 13, 2019 1:32 PM

Sep 2014
Because maybe, just maybe, pure enjoyment isn't everything one can score anime for? Because to some, the passion for anime goes beyond just having something to kill time with, and they want to know it better, recognize what works and what doesn't, and show what they consider well made, and what see as another failure? Because they can tell apart a piece made with passion and idea, from another, boring and uninspired ad?

But EVEN IF one was just to score on enjoyment and not even care for anything else, I still see no problem with them having a lower meanscore.
A low score, say 4, doesn't necessarily have to be something effectively be a negative experience, but maybe still enjoyable, just not as much as 5, and the 5 not as much as 6?

Hell, even if the low scores was actual pain to watch (they aren't for me, I generally just don't care for them) if the highs are so high they are worth sitting through a lot of garbage for? It definitely is this way for me. I could suffer through shitgatsu 20 fucking times to experience something the scope of Kill la Kill even once.

Also, a point made often in these threads, about the lower part of the scale being useless because "bad is bad". I think this notion is stupid and quite damaging. To me, a difference between, say, a 2 and a 4 is absolutely very meaningful. Even if both are something I consider some degree of bad, I think it's still important to recognize and value the things that they made good and as such, throwing everything into one been just because it's not something you love is IMO pretty silly. Some things you dislike can be better than other things you dislike, and I want to appreciate that.
May 13, 2019 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
Scoring for a review is different vs scoring for the list vs scoring after seeing the MAL average score.
May 13, 2019 3:48 PM

Apr 2015
We went over many threads like this already; stop taking mean scores as the main factor to determine whether someone likes anime or not.
May 13, 2019 4:01 PM

Jan 2018
I think everyone should rate anime on MAL like me :)
IangamebrMay 13, 2019 4:46 PM
May 13, 2019 4:04 PM

Aug 2017
Bait thread detected.

What's ur problem with the mean score from others?

Bad shows can be fun to watch. Fun things are fun.
NurguburuMay 13, 2019 4:49 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 13, 2019 4:10 PM

Jul 2014
langamebr said:
I think everyone should rate anime on MAL lile me :)

Looks like pretty sophisticated rating system, would you mind explaining the mechanics of it?
May 13, 2019 4:12 PM

Jun 2015
Because I drop the shows I don't like and keep watching the ones I do. Having a lot of shows scored low doesn't mean much time was spent watching them.
May 13, 2019 4:17 PM

Feb 2019
Probably because they can enjoy a show and still be critical about it and its flaws. Liking something isn't thinking it's flawless (it would be a pretty reductionist view of "good" and "bad"). So they can detract its shortcomings from their score, what doesn't mean they don't enjoy watching anime or that specific show.
May 13, 2019 4:36 PM

Jul 2017
I think part of it has to do with overall tastes changing as more shows being watched. Like as you watch more you start to pick up on common tropes and cliches present, which could thereby cause less enjoyment when shows overuse them. That and you start to get more of an understanding of the medium which also impacts your tastes
May 13, 2019 4:41 PM

Jun 2008
Masochistism was my first thought.

Why the fuck do they even bother? It’s clear they DONT enjoy anime.

My thing has ALWAYS been the same for years.

If I’m not entertained in some way or fashion after the first 3 episodes, I simply don’t continue...I won’t even “drop” it I don’t even list it.

So if I go the full length and eventually rate an anime a 5 or lower....it clearly fucked up in the later stages.

The most recent that comes to mind was Index III which was a total DISASTER!

But, at the beginning it was decent and that’s why I continued.
May 13, 2019 4:57 PM
Jan 2018
I remember when people asked me this exact same question when I was below a 6.
To that I answer: "I actually spend most of my time not watching garbage. Check my list in more detail.".

Shows I don't like are dropped almost instantly (unless it's a complete shit-show I can enjoy laughing at).

I give a score to it, too. That way, people know my first impressions from the show. It doesn't affect the score anyway.
May 13, 2019 5:12 PM

Sep 2010
It could mean that they rarely rate anime or only rate bad ones while the rest are "-".

Like if they rate everything and their mean score is 4.00~4.99 then I think its either time to find a new hobby or look at your highest scoring anime and hope to try and find something similar there is like 10,000+ shows out there so start digging.

Only reason my score got 10 points lower is cause I'm watching old 30s anime most with no sound, but I love watching classic stuff like REALLY old classic stuff I think some hit the mark and some when it comes to animation and sound/music (if it has any) it just falls flat. Most of the ones I watch fall into the latter category which is why my mean score is nearing 6, but I won't stop watching until I see all the classics that are on the Japan Film Archives cause I think its really interesting to see where anime all started and the different genres and stories that were considered "in" at the time.
RolokoMay 13, 2019 5:16 PM
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 13, 2019 5:13 PM

Aug 2018
Simply put when I rate a show I do not take into account how much I enjoyed watching it. So a series I've rated poorly could actually be one of my all time favorites but it's simply not something I would hold with any real esteem.

I continue watching because I enjoy watching.
May 13, 2019 5:25 PM
May 2019
Because I can't life without anime girls trying to suck me while whispering onii-chan in my ears every single day. Nah, just trying to find another Clannad.
May 13, 2019 5:33 PM

Feb 2016
Pullman said:
Another time for my copypaste for this kind of thread:

Classic "My ratings 100% represent enjoyment so I'll automatically assume that goes for every single person on this planet."
We get one of these threads about every month. But the stream of ignorant people who can't fathom any perspective aside from their own, very narrow one, is never ending it seems.

Why do people think it's a more realistic conclusion to think that someone watches anime while literally hating everything he watches than to simply consider that for them the ratings mean something different than for you? 60% of this site don't use the scores with their intended meanings and opt for only the upper half of the 1-scale. Some people just do it the other way round. It doesn't really matter at all.

Scores only are relevant in relation to each other in the first place. Nobody can tell what you really think about a show just based on a number, and everyone who thinks they can is a retard. In that sense someone with a low mean score who at least uses the whole scale makes better use of the rating system than the 6-10 only users by using it to maximum effect when it comes to differentiating between the various shows he watched and how much he liked them. He might just be splitting up his favorites from 7-10 where others only fill their 10s with it, and then work himself downwards with 6 being good, 5 being decent, 4 being okay 3 being meh and 1 and 2 being shit. Suddenly a 4 mean score means about the same as a 8.5 mean score for a 6-10 only rater.

So yeah I'm continuously impressed by how presumptuous people can get about this topic. They want to point their fingers to people and shout 'dumb elitist, you don't like anything!' or something along those lines instead of rationally thinking about how the ratings might be intended for even one minute. It's really not that hard to come to the conclusion I came to. And there are countless other ways to use the rating scale in your own way. Some result in a high mean score, others in a low mean score. But that doesn't mean it shows who likes and who hates anime. The ONLY difference is how they apply the rating scale, not how they feel while watching a show.

I really think this logic of 'I enjoy anime more than you because I rate higher' is utterly questionable to me. If YOU need to rate everything highly just to convince yourself you had some fun, that's your cross to bear. Many other people are aware that the number they attach to a series will not make any enjoyment they felt while watching disappear (or magically appear) and use the full scale to differentiate without worrying about people thinking they 'hate' anime just because they're capable of more detailed distinctions.

So basically you're already asking the wrong question that already assumes you know exactly what their scores mean and how they feel about anime of any specific score, when these are the things you should really be asking first of people with lower mean scores. If they say something like 'Most anime are average or bad', which I'm sure some will, then you can ask them why the fuck they spend so much time on it then. But most people will just give you some explanation about their rating system that boils down to them simply using lower numbers to represent the same amount of enjoyment that others will use a 7 or 8 for.

Thank you for this.
My mean score is 8.49 but that's because I tend to only vote on the things I really liked. One of the lowest scores I gave was a 6 to My Sister, My Writer. I still enjoyed that anime but there was a lot wrong with it. If I didn't enjoy it, I would have most likely given it a 3-4.
That being said, I still have a list of nearly 600 anime I am interested in and plan to watch. I think when I hit the 1000 mark of completed anime(at 300), my mean score will be a lot lower since I'm still picking and choosing the shows I really want to watch. When I say a lot lower I mean it, since the lowest score I've given is a 6 and only 5-6 shows have that. Ninja Batman being the second(still liked this anime).

The ending also changes the score dramatically in comparison to how it starts since it's the last thing I see. I don't drop anime either but there's a good list of shows I'll put myself through so I can finish and give a sub 4 to. Not anytime soon though.
PantsuSenseiUwUMay 13, 2019 5:36 PM
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
May 13, 2019 5:59 PM

Oct 2014
I enjoy a lot of anime that I think are bad. I put both quality and enjoyment into account when I rate anime so an anime that I enjoyed but was completely shit might end up with a low score. There are also anime I just watch to understand the medium more or just to fill time in my day without caring how good they'll be.

Not every anime I watch has to be a masterpiece, in fact I'd find it boring if they all were. Sometimes it's nice to watch an anime of lower quality and I don't think it's a bad thing for my list to contain a lot of them.
May 13, 2019 6:01 PM

Jan 2015
Steiner1411 said:

well many people have 1 episode rule /3 episode rule
will drop if it doesn't get interesting

they end up loosing out on great gems.
many of friends didn't watch steins;gate,monster,Sakurada Reset etc. for that reason.

i watch anime till my saturation point is reached.
eg. my friends told me go watch one piece . i ended up watching 450 episodes as he told me it gets better wait for marineford arc. i wasn't impressed and dropped the anime.

i only rate the anime that were one time watch or damn good(exception one piece which i rate 1/10 as 0 wasn't an option).

if I ended up rating all the anime on list my mean score would be around 2-3.

tl;dr hopes of finding a gem among rocks

May 13, 2019 6:05 PM

Aug 2013
The same reason I won't stop watching movies, reading books, listening to music or playing videogames. If you are critical enough, you will easily realise that every medium is exactly the same: "90% of everything is crap".
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

May 13, 2019 6:09 PM

Jan 2009
its understandable to have such a low score if you watch like 1000+ anime already
because as Sturgeons Law says "90% of everything is trash"
May 13, 2019 6:17 PM

Oct 2017
I mean this is just me but I like to think of anime on a bell curve, where the majority fall in the middle range of 3-8 and only a few are so bad/so good that they get your rare 1 2 9 and 10 scores. If i rated a show 5 or 6, it doesn't mean it's bad, it means that on the scale of how much I enjoyed the shows I watched, the 5s and 6s fell just about in the middle.

Of course my average is like 6.8 rn and I don't think I've given a score below a 3 because I'm pretty new to this anime thing so pls take my opinion with a grain of salt.
May 13, 2019 6:24 PM

Oct 2017
oh also just thought of this!

but - i think that for a lot of the people who have really low average ratings, they're the type to watch everything and then DROP a metric ton of shows, (and i mean if you dropped a show you're probably not going to be giving it a good score) so the loads of dropped shows are weighing down their score averages.
May 13, 2019 9:23 PM

Apr 2018
Some people just love shitting on stuff.

Some people are just looking for that perfect anime that rings just right with them (but are miserably failing at it cuz they're too picky).

Some people just don't know what they want.

Lots of reasons actually.

Me having a mean score of 5.45 just reflects on how I've gotten pickier over the years (If I had an account in this site in 2016, I am fairly sure my average would be in the 8's). I still give out plenty of 8's and 9's though lol
Imperio_nMay 13, 2019 9:31 PM
May 13, 2019 10:06 PM

Aug 2016
9/10 times those people all like the same shows. A pool of 20 or so shows and its very consistent. It's their way of misusing the rating scale to prop up shows and say everything else is shit but these few shows. Nothing in between.

They go on my block list.
May 13, 2019 10:13 PM

Jan 2014
Steiner1411 said:

Hmm I barely fit the cusp here but I am looking for a gem among rocks when I do choose to watch a show. I don't enjoy shows I find average, I'll just drop and rate. I barely watch anime anymore. I always like to give a show a chance, but 90% of the time I'll likely drop it once I lose interest, but hey sometimes a sleeper show is able to keep my interest all the way till the end.
May 14, 2019 2:09 AM

Jan 2009
deg said:
its understandable to have such a low score if you watch like 1000+ anime already
because as Sturgeons Law says "90% of everything is trash"

my sturgeons law comment got ninja'd there lol

but to add on why i choose 1000+ anime is because its the usual reliable sample size on any polls/survey/statistics
May 14, 2019 3:37 AM

Sep 2008
I'm really close to that line so I'll answer it.
Yes, finding gems is what drives me first and foremost. Plus I'm close to 1000 watched anime, why stop now?
You could say I have a "must watch" list that I plan to complete, it just never seem to go down.
Anything can catch my eye, a character, a soundtrack, opening, sakuga, premise.
If a show has any of those I'll check it out. I don't drop anime unless it annoys the shit out of me in some way or bores me that much, which hardly happens.

I score things using the system properly. My own enjoyment is still subjective of course.
10: masterpiece
9: super close but I'd change that one thing
8: greatly enjoyed it, I'd still recommend watching it
7: it was above average, I liked it a lot
6: there's one thing about it that makes it better than completely forgettable
5: completely mediocre, done a 1000 times. only watch it to pass time, but I'd never watch this show again with this knowledge.
4: bad, usually big problems with the execution, but watchable still
3: awful, akin to B movies you watch to laugh at.
2: borderline unawtchable, masochism on my part
1: this garbage pissed me off beyond everything

For a long while I thought that I'm just overly cynical and bitter. But it's wrong, it's none of that. Simply statistics. I've seen so much that it's hard to find something interesting or original. Everything feels like something else that came before. It's usually the case of copying what's popular, or directly referencing them. So over time, of course my scores will fall. But I like anime all the same, I'm still as interested in it as I was at the start.
As for why I watch mediocre stuff? I like to form my opinion on shows, and I'm hopeful that it'll turn out better than it started, or redeem itself in some way. As I said I like anime so I give it a chance. No show is mediocre for me from the first second, it just quickly falls there in a few episodes and has a hard time recovering.

You can't trust MAL's overal scores as a guide. It doesn't reflect reality, neither is it a sign of quality. This is how you should see it:
10-7 overhyped, it just means that a lot of people watched them, including absolute normies. they're entry level.
6-5 these shows have some actual merit to them just like the category above, just less people saw them.
under 5: nobody has seen these shows, they're hard to find, or incomprehensible to most.
Normies usually just watch a few shows recommended to them, which is how you get those really high numbers.
Let's just not talk about people bitching about general scores on MAL. "why is this underrated? why the hpye, it doesn't deserve a score like that!"
It's important to note that my personal scores are way more in line with the overal score when it comes to older anime from the 90s and 80s, which the general audience doesn't seek out.
A low score means different things to different people in different circumstances, with different worldviews.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
May 14, 2019 8:51 AM

Oct 2015
Because not everyone rates stuff using the same metrics as you do.

I personally only rate shows with reference to one other. If I value a show considerably more than I do another show, enough to have a higher level of appreciation for it, it gets 1 point higher from me, 1 point lower if it's the other way around. This is the only thing you can get by looking at my ratings. Anything else will be your interpretation which may not necessarily be true. That applies for a lot of the users here. So your "users with 5- mean scores don't enjoy anime" claim is completely misguided.

Edit: Clarification, by that I don't mean the same metrics that I use but an unconventional metric in general.
Auron_May 14, 2019 8:56 AM
May 14, 2019 9:39 AM

Feb 2011
My mean score at the moment is 4.89. Does it mean that I hate everything I watch? No. In fact, my "5" represents "good" score and therefore it means that most of the titles I watch are good according to my own standards.
Orhunaa said:
Because not everyone rates stuff using the same metrics as you do.

I wonder why so many people find this concept so difficult to comprehend.
May 14, 2019 12:32 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
They do it because they can and still find value in anime.
May 14, 2019 12:36 PM
Jan 2019
Simple. It's a mental illness.

Or it's just boredom.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
2 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

13 by _FRB_ »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 6 minutes ago

0 by Sanjay63773 »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

105 by Piromysl »»
15 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

41 by CheesyJen »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.