Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 5, 2019 7:32 AM

Nov 2011

You know how it is, a male character that is average and sometime downright loser but then he got reincarnated/transported/whatever to another world and suddenly become super powerful,destroy bad guys and build their harem.

Why do they all need to be OP? I am not saying all isekai protagonist is OP but most of them are and these series tend to be copy paste of other isekai.

May 5, 2019 7:38 AM

May 2019
its simple, if u op, then u will be summoned if no-BB
i mean most of them were pros in some things... (usually games)
May 5, 2019 7:44 AM

Jan 2018
Don't know about the others but I love OP characters they are so badass imo I don't like useless, crybaby characters like Subaru
May 5, 2019 7:47 AM

May 2019
Congintive said:
Don't know about the others but I love OP characters they are so badass imo I don't like useless, crybaby characters like Subaru

yes op chars bestest, but konosuba just about fun....
May 5, 2019 7:50 AM

Jan 2018
Aklis said:
Congintive said:

yes op chars bestest, but konosuba just about fun....

Kazuma is love and he isn't actually that useless like his party members lol and my love would only grow for the character if they are OP and sadistic on the top of that only males.
May 5, 2019 7:52 AM
Feb 2017
There is a certain group of people that like the bare-bones protagonists, so they can get a feeling of a power trip by watching the series. Also, since a large majority of the anime community is Isekai trash, we will still watch the shows anyways (take this current season's Kenja no Mago). As such, if they make money off it they'll keep producing shows as such, and since there are SO many light novel series like this, it's easy to always just make them.
May 5, 2019 7:59 AM
Nov 2016
They try but they can't

I love op characters
but
in any isekai anime
there always comes a villan that is stronger than the
protagonist
which makes the whole reason to watch the show DISAPPEAR
May 5, 2019 8:03 AM

Feb 2013
anime producer saw the amount of MAL threads asking for op protagonist and decided to cash in
May 5, 2019 8:07 AM

Mar 2012
https://www.novelupdates.com/?s=strongest&post_type=seriesplans

I mean this is just one keyword. You can search it under "cheat" keyword too if you like and any other filter pointing at the same thing. And it's not like only male did it but female one did it too. They just haven't get any anime yet.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 5, 2019 8:14 AM

Mar 2018
I think the Japanese like that shit. And sometimes it is well done but the bummer is that you can already predict what's gonna happen
LOOKING FOR ARTISTS PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU'RE ONE
Review please!

May 5, 2019 9:05 AM

Jul 2017
Because it panders to some fat losers who think they will suddenly transform into said "OP protagonist" if they defend the anime on the internet and spend enough time watching it.
あなたは誰?
May 5, 2019 9:22 AM

Aug 2018
Because most times, Isekais are just used for making some generic harem with badly animated fights. My advice, try to watch the good ones and avoid anything that looks like a generic harem.

And to anwser your question, those mc are OP like that so the average otaku can self-insert and feel badass for once in their lifes.
May 5, 2019 9:28 AM

Nov 2014
Easy, boy. Most people who read and watch isekai are frustraed otakus who wants escapism. And most of the pople who writes isekai are hack who just want a quick cash, so they are as lazy as possible. So combine a hack writer who doesn't know any better form to resolve conflict that making acharacter OP, and a reader who just want a character that can never lose because he needs to self insert himself in a flat character who's never really challenged in the narrative, and so does he.
May 5, 2019 9:50 AM

Jul 2017
Idk I don't really mind for the most part. I mean, I'd rather have an OP protag who can actually do something than someone like Ganta or beginning Yuuki who can barely do anything right
May 5, 2019 9:53 AM

Nov 2014
Short_Circut said:
Idk I don't really mind for the most part. I mean, I'd rather have an OP protag who can actually do something than someone like Ganta or beginning Yuuki who can barely do anything right

both of them are examples of bad characters done in opposite ways.
May 5, 2019 9:56 AM
Mar 2016
BlancaXLobo said:
Easy, boy. Most people who read and watch isekai are frustraed otakus who wants escapism. And most of the pople who writes isekai are hack who just want a quick cash, so they are as lazy as possible. So combine a hack writer who doesn't know any better form to resolve conflict that making acharacter OP, and a reader who just want a character that can never lose because he needs to self insert himself in a flat character who's never really challenged in the narrative, and so does he.

That's right, i hope we get series like konosuba, grimgar and Rezero, it's 100000 times better than those OP MC shit
May 5, 2019 10:11 AM

Dec 2017
Because escapism is what most people in Japan want out of the genre, in spite of most of them probably having watched Evangelion. Apparently they learned nothing

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

May 5, 2019 10:14 AM

Jan 2013
Since when is isekai sentient?

KaiserNazrin said:

You know how it is, a male character that is average and sometime downright loser but then he got reincarnated/transported/whatever to another world and suddenly become super powerful,destroy bad guys and build their harem.

Why do they all need to be OP? I am not saying all isekai protagonist is OP but most of them are and these series tend to be copy paste of other isekai.

Because the "reincarnation type" is what's "in" right now, you shouldn't include transported since that has always been a staple.

Anyway that wasn't case back in 80s, 90s, and up until the mid 00s.
If you want something a bit different there's: Aura Battler Dunbine (one of the first, by the creator of Gundam)
Maze
NG Knight Lamune
Magic Knight Rayearth
Escaflowne
12 Kingdoms
Fushigi Yuugi
El Hazard
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 5, 2019 12:06 PM

Dec 2017
Because, it's main audience is bunch of escapists who dream about being reborn in another world and be a badass unlike their real life, and most of them can relate with former pathetic and now OP guy in isekais.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

May 5, 2019 12:12 PM

Oct 2018
because people love it and at least to me it was very satisfying to see how the mc destroy everything and shocking everyone how op he is.
May 5, 2019 12:16 PM

Sep 2014
Wish fullfillment. Your life sucked so the next will be super epic for you.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 5, 2019 1:02 PM

May 2017
Because its simply more fun than when they are average or weak
May 5, 2019 1:12 PM

May 2013
Isn't it the same how it is in video games? Like Skyrim etc?

"You are special, you are strong, you will save the world, YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE" and other such platitudes.

So the person feels like they have a sense of purpose and can also feel free to get away with whatever they feel like.
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 5, 2019 11:41 PM

Nov 2014
Dali14 said:
BlancaXLobo said:

That's right, i hope we get series like konosuba, grimgar and Rezero, it's 100000 times better than those OP MC shit

I haven't watched KonoSuba and Re: Zero yet, so i don't know if they really manage to stand out from the rest, at least for me, or they're just gimmicky. But thanks for helping me rethink about watching them.

KreatorX said:
Isn't it the same how it is in video games? Like Skyrim etc?

"You are special, you are strong, you will save the world, YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE" and other such platitudes.

So the person feels like they have a sense of purpose and can also feel free to get away with whatever they feel like.

You've explained in a most kind way than I did, and yeah, it's the case with most of fiction.
May 6, 2019 12:07 AM
Jan 2012
They're incredibly common because most Isekai shows are completely reliant and dependent on being a power fantasy. There's a reason why a lot of these OP characters have the blandest personalities, and messy black hair, it's so people can self insert themselves into that role as the person above most others and having women throwing themselves at you.

Some people that enjoy it might not be lonely otaku craving escapism, but even so, that's still the target demographic. Conflict and development are basically gone, because it's targeted towards those that just want to be comfortable. Iyashikei anime make people forget about their problems by distracting you with soothing shows, while the modern Isekai make you forget by making anime that make you temporarily feel powerful. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, the problem is how specific it is. If someone's the target demographic of a power fantasy, chances are most of their attention will be on the MC alone, and his harem. Making interesting worlds and world building are incredibly difficult, and not very rewarding with this genre, which leads to all the shows with the same worlds but with different names.

It's basically a niche that got too involved in the mainstream due to how low effort many of these shows are, yet gain so much. The problem isn't the genre or idea itself, but the kind of writers it attracts. Unlike the west, people on the eastern part of the world are VERY forgiving when it comes to repetition, so if someone over there is a fan of the Isekai power fantasy, more often than not they won't complain about another Isekai anime showing up that's more or less identical. Many aspiring light novel authors and mangaka take advantage of this, and just decide to take the genre's formula and just put minimal effort in differentiating it, knowing full well it's target demographic is going to like it anyway. Isekai shows with OP main characters are not made for newcomers, it's made for people who are already invested in the idea and want more.
May 6, 2019 12:24 AM

Dec 2016
My new isekai IP.

"This is what happens when you reincarnate as the strongest Overlord Tyrant Killidia and she won't let you touch that fluffy tail."

With romance of course.

SoverignMay 6, 2019 2:02 AM
Apr 22, 2022 4:16 PM
Mar 2022
Cause they have no good idea of making a great protagonist and just uses a shitty male lead who sucks at personality and becomes a total pervert with his dumb unintelligent harem girls.
Apr 22, 2022 5:49 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Cause it's easier to write. You just any sort of character development or training arc. Your regular guy from Japan is reborn/transported to another world and he's immediately a badass. You don't have to worry too much about stuff like characters, world building, magic systems and the like; just make your mc cool.

If you're just an average Joe with little to no writting experience uploading your stuff to Narou or something this is kinda unpolished stuff you would come up with. There's also the demand angle to, of course, but I don't think these guys could write anything better even if something else were more popular with audiences.
Apr 22, 2022 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
Because some people in the audience think of themselves as "an average Joe" and like to see power fantasies, where they could be more than that.

But I dunno... this type of overpowered characters are boring to me.
I like some others, but they have to deal a lot with their responsibilities and all as someone, who is in charge of these powers.
Just tacking on powers on a fairly blank slate and doing nothing too interesting with it personality-wise is boring.
Apr 22, 2022 6:48 PM

Jul 2015
Short_Circut said:

If you want a protagonist who can "do something" wouldn't it be more interesting if they could affect the plot in more unique ways instead of just generically being the physically strongest person in the whole world
Apr 22, 2022 6:57 PM

Feb 2021
The only op isekai main character I like and respect is Sora from NGNL. If you can call him op.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 23, 2022 1:35 AM

Jan 2018
the spider isekai was a good watch, it gave that digimon vibe. all and all the writing could be improved to make it more solid but they still have that structured formula.
Apr 23, 2022 2:12 AM

Oct 2011
I always thought it was due to many people in this day and age having adhd or a shorter attention span.

20+ years ago when I was a kid/teenage there was a lot of grind in games and pacing was slower in anime and games so we invested more time in something.

Nowadays, there's just so much content and information out there, nobody has time or the attention span to wait on a character to slowly progress and improve over time. They just want to see the end results and move on. These shows often aren't memorable though unless they can somehow add some sort of shock value.
Apr 23, 2022 7:00 AM

Feb 2021
I always thought it was supposed to be marketed to Japanese students who think their conformist lives are boring and seek escapism through self inserting them into isekai
Apr 23, 2022 7:43 AM

Jun 2020
Because the audiences like it? Plus I think its easier to write character that can do anything without having 200+ years of development.
Apr 23, 2022 8:16 AM

Jul 2021
oyabuntaro said:
If you want a protagonist who can "do something" wouldn't it be more interesting if they could affect the plot in more unique ways instead of just generically being the physically strongest person in the whole world
I don't think that whether it would or not means generically being the strongest person in the whole world isn't interesting
Apr 23, 2022 10:07 AM
Jul 2018
The isekai genre is largely a male power fantasy, which is why you have 'average' usually boring guys become super OP just because they're in another world. It's not like power fantasies are obsolete in this world but they are overused - probably because it sells.
Apr 23, 2022 11:43 AM

Oct 2012
OP protagonists is within the definition of isekai. I mean it doesn't have to be, but it is.

Let's review why isekais exist in the first place. Look, if you're an author, you sit down, and think about what kind of story you want to tell. You flesh out your protagonist background, then try to make him fit into the story. There needs to be context. There needs to be an explanation for how the character is the way he is within the world that he exists. Sure, you could make a complete parody like One Punch Man and say he became super powerful from running laps. But if you want any kind of realism, you'd need to come up with some way to differentiate the main character from everyone else.

You could also go the way of donghua, and say that MC comes from a wealthy family filled with resources and stipends for becoming stronger. But this type of MC has another weakness -- relatability. People tend to want to relate to an underdog protagonist.

So on the one hand, you can write quality scripts to give your character a good constitution, have him work hard, etc. On the other hand, you have isekai: a magical bullet to allow you to create a protagonist that doesn't have to fit into the context of the world, doesn't have to be responsible for his powers, automatically has insights that no one else has in the world...

If you make a normal protagonist that must work through his way within the context of the new world, then that defeats the whole purpose of having isekai in the first place. You might as well script the MC in the new world to begin with. That's why you see OP MC's in isekais, because that's the advantage that isekais grant the author.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 23, 2022 11:50 AM

Sep 2018
I’m glad you asked, many anime fans are total sore loser dweebs that want to be cool, so they have to resort to a little thing called
Escapism
Apr 23, 2022 12:15 PM

Aug 2010
the question is why do shonen have OP protagonists or lets go even broader, why are most heros in action media OP.

The answer is simple, Escapism.
Besides, OP characters can be used in compelling story telling too and at worst, they can be put in cool action scenes.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Apr 23, 2022 12:20 PM
Dec 2017
few years later and this answer is pretty easy guess its all part of the power fantasy escapism.

Apr 24, 2022 6:39 AM
Dec 2017
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Because some people in the audience think of themselves as "an average Joe" and like to see power fantasies, where they could be more than that.

But I dunno... this type of overpowered characters are boring to me.
I like some others, but they have to deal a lot with their responsibilities and all as someone, who is in charge of these powers.
Just tacking on powers on a fairly blank slate and doing nothing too interesting with it personality-wise is boring.

I think as well many people would also have this sentiment of op mcs being just dull so you're not the only one on that boat.

Apr 24, 2022 6:51 AM

Feb 2021
It has pretty much become a common trope for isekai anime to have either an op protagonist or a super weak (who eventually becomes op), happy go, lucky protagonist. There's no in between.

Apr 24, 2022 6:52 AM
Jan 2020
dunno, they're entertaining to watch? kinda hilarious what pretentious bullshit essays are people writing lmao

Apr 24, 2022 7:02 AM

Oct 2021
Isekai (was) mainly targeted towards teenage boys, most of which like action and hype battles. What is the best way to aquire those two? Give your MC OP powers and have him fight strong enemies. Power fantasies are also something (generally) popular among teenage boys.
OP MC easily defeating strong enemies -> hype
Pretty simple really.

More topics from this board

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - 10 minutes ago

6 by Toooooooooohru »»
49 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 45 minutes ago

11 by MasterTasuke »»
1 minute ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 12 hours ago

20 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 5 hours ago

24 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

21 by PlasticRobot »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.