Forum Settings
Forums

Rotting Pending Friend Requests. Why? [Poll Answers Provided]

New
Apr 22, 2019 9:30 AM

Oct 2018
Disclaimer:
This is not a let's make fun of people with too many friend requests pending.
If the answer you were looking for isn't within the poll just post it below. The following are my personal thoughts and manner of answering the question above:

Personally I like speaking to the individual first to see if we'll get along, have similar interest or are even compatible with each other since I have a very hyperactive behavior and my personal interests are not for most people's liking. (gore and what not hehe) I've accepted requests before just for them to never speak to me afterwards 'cause they just want to be attention whores who have over 3k friends when they really only speak to around 5 in reality. So far I have 69 pending though I'm sure some have around hundreds already.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Apr 22, 2019 9:41 AM

Apr 2012
>having pending requests
just say yes or no lol
Apr 22, 2019 9:46 AM

Jan 2013
EratiK said:
>having pending requests
just say yes or no lol
Lol right. It would bug the hell outta me to always have a notification dot on my panel.
Apr 22, 2019 2:15 PM

Jul 2016
i've removed all pending friend requests and closed off my requests completely because i specifically don't like
random friend requests. if i'm interested in someone, i'm perfectly happy to send them one myself. and if they're
at all interested in me (or i them), then either one of us could send a comment or pm first. i'd rather have a chance
to actually get to know someone before they become a number on a list.

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
Apr 22, 2019 2:30 PM

Feb 2017
I leave requests pending if they're randomly sent.

Usually I leave them so that person can't send another at a later time. There's been very few exceptions where I've gone back and accepted or denied them.

Generally, they've had to PM me, or talk to me for me to change the status from Pending. My theory behind that is pretty simple; If you're on my friends list, you're my friend. But I have standards for what I consider a friend.

I also periodically clean my list of people who fall out of touch.

Apr 22, 2019 2:40 PM
Jul 2018
Unless they are a jerk I would accept them, I don't care if they just want their number up to say they have more friends than they actually do. It's not a big deal since I am allowed an infinite number of friends and our lack of contact would show. Most people don't care how many friends someone else has anyway, so they only have self-satisfaction.
Apr 23, 2019 3:13 AM
Dec 2010
Wow, your poll is very detailed. I'm literally surprised you thought of so many reasons.

Though I'm not the right person to answer this thread.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Apr 23, 2019 3:40 AM

Mar 2008
I have 100 just sitting there because they never left a single message so I don't know who they are or why they wanted to ad me.
Apr 23, 2019 9:20 AM

Feb 2019
i just accept any Friend request cause declining just makes me feel douchey

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Apr 23, 2019 9:34 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
they've built up to the point where it'd take me forever to go and deny or accept each one of them. Honestly, I gloss over the whole friends thing but I've been trying to pay more attention lately after I found out that I've left people who I've been chatting to hanging with their FR lol.. I wanna avoid that at least
Apr 23, 2019 9:39 AM

Dec 2016
I don't really care about online "friends" so I just add everyone who sends me a request. Whether they want to talk to me or not talk to me at all is fine either way, especially because sometimes I can't be arsed to respond to conversations online (definitely not in a timely manner at least). In general I don't place much importance on the friends list on MAL.

What's the difference?
Apr 23, 2019 9:50 AM

Oct 2018
Random friend requests don't really bother me that much.
I just let the accumulate and sit there because i can't be bothered to deny them.

Random friend requests are a problem on any platform in which you can "befriend" someone, so at this point idrc.
You get used to it.

i'm a worm
Apr 23, 2019 9:58 AM

Apr 2013
I don't know them and sometimes I leave them pending so they can't resend it, asshole much? Yes, but not that it really matters to me. Idek you and I haven't even spoken to you once so expect such a result to happen.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Apr 23, 2019 10:32 AM
Feb 2017
I feel a lot of these choices can be condensed into just one...
Apr 23, 2019 11:05 AM

Sep 2018
To make me feel more wanted..... whenever I see a lot of friend requests on notif every time I log in makes me feel popular....
Though no one send me friend requests anyways XD so it doesnt matter anyways....
Apr 23, 2019 11:15 AM
魏无羡

Aug 2015
Random requests don't bother me at all. I'm more than happy to talk to new people and make friends. However I still don't acknowledge them all. Like most people, I check out the profile before accepting and if none of their favourites or interests are at least similar, and they just don't seem compatible, then I usually ignore it.
However, the reason I don't decline is bc when I sent a friend request a long time ago, they declined it and I got the notification for it and it kinda hurt at the time, so I refuse to decline mine so they don't get the notification. I don't want to make them feel bad. I don't really see people talking about that so I'm not sure if it was a glitch on my end or something but I still don't wanna do it in case.

Apr 23, 2019 12:32 PM

Feb 2016
I'm the sort of person where I will accept a friend request because I don't want to seem rude, but then I don't ever speak to/respond to their messages because I'm too shy... which is actually being rude. I just can't win...
--- + ---
"Random quotes in signatures are like friends. Everyone seems to have them, except me."
Sun Tzu, probably

Apr 23, 2019 2:06 PM

Oct 2018
EratiK said:
>having pending requests
just say yes or no lol
Klad said:
EratiK said:
>having pending requests
just say yes or no lol
Lol right. It would bug the hell outta me to always have a notification dot on my panel.

Tagged Tenma's post 'cause that pretty much sums up my reasons for having pending friend requests as opposed to the 2 simple posts above that believe to have everything solved:

Tenma said:
I leave requests pending if they're randomly sent.

Usually I leave them so that person can't send another at a later time. There's been very few exceptions where I've gone back and accepted or denied them.

Generally, they've had to PM me, or talk to me for me to change the status from Pending. My theory behind that is pretty simple; If you're on my friends list, you're my friend. But I have standards for what I consider a friend.

I also periodically clean my list of people who fall out of touch.

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Apr 23, 2019 2:17 PM

Oct 2015
I accept all of them lol. It's good data when I look at the stats section of an anime to see the others' ratings and whatnot. I'll also try to start a conversation but ultimately fail since I suck at smalltalk. I'm not very interested in it either so it's not that big of a deal I suppose.
Apr 23, 2019 2:42 PM

Oct 2018
BrightFlashLight said:
Wow, your poll is very detailed. I'm literally surprised you thought of so many reasons.

Though I'm not the right person to answer this thread.
Thanks! I thought of about 10 more scenarios but they can pretty much be condensed into one.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Apr 23, 2019 11:33 PM

Feb 2017
I'll never ever understand why would someone in their right mind would even care about accepting or rejecting or leaving the friend request pending...i mean it's such a fucking small thing.
foscor70Apr 23, 2019 11:39 PM

Apr 24, 2019 8:05 AM

Dec 2012
If I get a random friend request with no comment then I usually wait a day or two to see if they leave a comment or send me a message. If they don't then I deny them because I don't see the point of accumulating random friends here. It just clogs up my friend updates which I'm actually interested in. The only reason I understand for not reacting at all would be if the person keeps sending you requests - So not reacting to their request makes it impossible for them to send another one.
Apr 24, 2019 10:21 AM

Oct 2014
I don't really see the need to add people. I can still chat with people in threads and profile comments.
Apr 24, 2019 12:48 PM

May 2009
Unless it's someone I've talked to before, I just don't accept friend requests. I guess I could deny them, but it doesn't really change anything if they're denied or pending.

Haibara said:
The only reason I understand for not reacting at all would be if the person keeps sending you requests - So not reacting to their request makes it impossible for them to send another one.

Yup, that's the main reason why I don't deny them. I've also went back to accept a few ones that were pending in the past.
Apr 24, 2019 1:16 PM

Oct 2018
Personally, I keep my friend requests set to disabled, cuz I don't even talk to the friends I already have, and I don't think it would that change for randoms.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Apr 24, 2019 10:06 PM

May 2013
I add pretty much anyone tbh. Sometimes it's random but... who cares.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Apr 24, 2019 10:24 PM

Jul 2009
Can't see the disadvantage of not accepting, so... I don't really care? I always accept friend requests, but whether a conversation will happen or not is a different story.
Apr 24, 2019 10:28 PM

Aug 2007
I approve any the comes in. I really don't chat on MAL anymore, so there is really no benefits for me if I approve or deny them. They're free to remove me from their friend list if they want to.

I have only denied 1 recently, only because they looked questionable.
Apr 25, 2019 12:38 AM

Dec 2012
DeadlyRaven said:
Unless it's someone I've talked to before, I just don't accept friend requests. I guess I could deny them, but it doesn't really change anything if they're denied or pending.

Haibara said:
The only reason I understand for not reacting at all would be if the person keeps sending you requests - So not reacting to their request makes it impossible for them to send another one.

Yup, that's the main reason why I don't deny them. I've also went back to accept a few ones that were pending in the past.
That makes sense especially for mods - I can imagine you guys get a lot of random friend requests and blocking so many users would be a pain :D So just leaving the request unanswered seems the easiest solution (or accepting, but not everyone wants a bunch of random strangers on their list)
Apr 25, 2019 6:40 AM

Oct 2018
Haibara said:
not everyone wants a bunch of random strangers on their list)
I've been judged by the people that I have on my friend list hence I'd hate to add strangers who will try to add me but not even try to get to know me at all.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Apr 25, 2019 6:33 PM

May 2016
i don't see the point of letting a friend request rot. just deny or accept it. if someone doesn't like random friend requests then just turn them off

i get one or two requests almost everyday and i accept everyone. tho i always try to start a convo with them

。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆。

from the days that i've
lived those i had spent
with you, seemed real

月光
Apr 25, 2019 7:44 PM
Mar 2019
can't accept if you don't receive any Friend Request

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

62 by 707supremacist »»
22 seconds ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

41 by 707supremacist »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

38 by cody »»
35 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - Today

28 by cody »»
44 minutes ago

» proxy

jackfrostenson - 1 hour ago

1 by vasipi4946 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.