Forum Settings
Forums

how do u deal with people irl when they react negatively about the fact that u like anime

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 19, 2019 8:12 PM

Mar 2017
katsucats said:
I've never had anyone judge me negatively for liking anime. I can just imagine...

Him: What do you do for fun?
Me: I watch anime.
Him: Oh, haha. You like anime, LOL. Are you a pervert or something?
Me: Not a pervert, but I watch anime lol.
Him: That's sooo dumb that you like anime. You must be a loser.
Me: Okay lol bro.
Him: What are you, 12?
Me: You're pretty bad at math, aren't you?

Actually, I can't imagine this at all. I'd imagine most people have more social sense than to go on a limb and attack people over something innocuous. It's a losing strategy, unless the other guy loses his shit.

I agree.

I normally don't bring it up anyway unless I think they'll be interested in talking about it. Or if they bring it up. This guy asked me today if I liked anime without context whatsoever. I said, "yeah, you?" He just said he wasn't sure but he watched OPM and liked it. It was the only anime he's seen other than Dragonball when he was a kid.
Ezekiel said:
Never happened before, but I don't share it with the whole world. I just finished rereading Akira. When I come into work on Sunday, I'm gonna start rereading Battle Angel Alita between the really long wait times for calls. Kind of looking forward to any reactions. I just need enough padding in my backpack to protect the book. I'm hoping my supervisor won't tell me to put it away.

I've done this. People are like wtf you reading. Then I show them the art and what's actually happening and they are like oh shit that's cool actually.
Luna_Estlin said:
Never happened before, Watching anime is pretty common over here as weird as it may sound, i have seen people watch Eromanga-sensei & other Ecchi series in public

Where is this promised neverland?

Edit: I'm retarded. Its Japan lol
Apr 19, 2019 9:51 PM

May 2016
no one irl knows i watch anime anyway but if they did and reacted negatively towards it i legit wouldn't care zzz im too nonchalant to even care about what they think

。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆。

from the days that i've
lived those i had spent
with you, seemed real

月光
Apr 19, 2019 10:05 PM
Dec 2010
I don't think I have ever been judged negatively for watching anime. Not that it ever come up as a conversation topic.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Apr 19, 2019 10:40 PM
Apr 2019
A lot of my friends don't know I watch anime, I have a few that watch kinda like cartoonish anime like dragon Ball, since it gets shown on TV, but no one knows my personal interest of what I like. I do fear that if I told people they would have a negative outlook so I declare not to indulge other.
Apr 20, 2019 1:45 AM

Mar 2018
im very open about the fact i enjoy and watch anime since i do wear a few anime shirts here and there, yet no one has ever acted negatively towards me about it so im unsure how i would react :(
i would probably recommend them an anime to watch ROFL
Apr 20, 2019 1:52 AM

Jan 2009
Since I tend to not talk about it with people I meet in person, that doesn't really happen. I do use a profile picture of one of my Hibiki figurines in WhatsApp, but pretty much no one seems to care about that.
Apr 20, 2019 3:03 AM
Jul 2018
Depends on how negatively they react. If it's just ignorance you can try talking to them about animu and show them a few beginner-friendly ones and maybe they'll get into it. If they're really hostile about it, tell them to fuck off, you have better people to talk to.
Apr 20, 2019 3:13 AM
Dec 2018
Why would you care what other people think? It's your hobby if you're enjoying it you're not harming anybody.
Apr 20, 2019 4:57 AM

Nov 2013
I dom't care tbh, I don't even like anime, just few specific shows anyways
Signature was not removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Tulip & Flower Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2019 5:02 AM

Feb 2015
i beat them up

in my mind hahahahahaha
SEND ME DA FRIEND REQUEST AND COMMENT ON MY PROFILE <33

I LOVE YUKINO YUKINOSHITA, CHITOGE AND YUNO GASAI.. they changed my life.. every night b4 sleeping i think about them and pray that i meet a yukino/chitoge/yuno irl <33
i will stay virgin for them <33 i know they are out there and i will meet them <33 i love u yukino bbb
Apr 20, 2019 6:00 PM

Dec 2017
Ignore them, probably not worth your time tbh

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Apr 20, 2019 6:03 PM
魏无羡

Aug 2015
It's not typically something I bring up or talk about with people anyways. But if they react negatively then it's kind of just, whatever I guess. It's not like I'm asking them to watch it with me. They don't have to like everything I like, and if they decide they no longer want to associate with me because I watch it then: good riddance.

Apr 20, 2019 8:32 PM
May 2012
I'm just like "Whatever, I don't care."
Apr 20, 2019 8:38 PM

Dec 2008
If they don't like anime I tell them to go fuck off. It's their loss-not mine.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Apr 20, 2019 10:59 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Never have had a negative reaction although to be fair it's rarely ever come up in conversation.
Apr 20, 2019 11:09 PM

Mar 2015
Tell them to grow up and stop judging other peoples harmless hobbies.
Apr 21, 2019 9:12 AM
May 2016
I walk away. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life
Apr 21, 2019 9:18 AM

May 2018
I talk shit about them and don't help them when they needed help.
Apr 21, 2019 9:54 AM

Apr 2019
I've literally never met anyone in real life who reacted negatively to me watching anime. Literally never. It's not a big deal as some of you make it out to be. I've met both hot and average people who watch anime. Watching it doesn't make you a loser in the eyes of the world unless you're already a loser in the first place. lmao.
Apr 23, 2019 2:58 PM

Apr 2014
By negative reaction I understand some association of japanese anime with infantile tastes in adult people. This reaction is normal taking into account that most animes are childish since they are mainly aimed at a teenage audience.

I usually respond to these reactions with a smile and then put the weight scale in my favor, that is, I manage to install the doubt in the prejudiced mind of my interlocutors and sometimes I have managed that they see my recommended animes (like Monster or Cowboy Bebop). However, this happen because:

1. It is my policy to only enjoy animes that I am not ashamed to recommend to someone of my age. It is evident that few animes are really aimed at a adult audience so I rarely see japanese animation. The exceptions to this rule have been related to the payment for lost bets ( I was once forced to see a silly anime like Chihayafuru in exchange for a female friend forgive me a stupid debt of 1000 euros acquired by a card game) or to please an ex-otaku girlfriend who used to behave with exponential ardour and affectivity in my bed after we see her favorite animes haha.

2. Before new people know about my anime taste, they have interacted with me in environments that do not associate with anime, like dance with women, play bowling with noisy people, play pool in the bar, lifting weights in the gym, etc... These interactions confuses to prejudiced minds because they do not usually conceive that a person who enjoys these activities can also enjoy some anime.

3. I have the ability to offer enriching conversations and debates that are usually combined with a good sense of humor, which means that I have not difficult to be the center of attention in tertulias. This also confuses prejudiced minds.

4. In the Spanish-speaking nations anime has been popular since my mother's time so there is the apparent paradox that if on the one hand we are on average more extroverted than people from other cultures, on the other hand we have a lot less prejudice towards Japanese animation.
_Nemrod_Apr 24, 2019 5:04 AM

Apr 24, 2019 2:37 AM

Jun 2015
don't really give a fuck, the same thing goes for everything else i like.
Apr 24, 2019 3:23 AM

Mar 2018
I can relate. In fact, I wanna know how to deal with them too. Especially with girls. Most of my guy friends who are close to me also watch anime (even if they don't, I make them do) so there's not much problems. The problem is with girls who are around the same age as me or somewhat younger but ones I can still have a proper "friend" relationship. Whenever they know or they see me watching anime, their reaction is "Eww, you watch cartoons at this age...?" or something similar. When I try to explain them that anime is not cartoon and blah blah blah, they just chuckle in a sarcastic tone or give me looks like I'm a few screws loose. Of course, not all girls I met are like that but majority of them, that's for sure. It doesn't put any stain to our friendship because I don't trigger by their narrow minds most of the times but I still want them to know "what is anime" and have a positive outlook about it. I just don't know how to do it so I've given up as of now.

Apr 24, 2019 12:44 PM

Aug 2018
cant really blame them. So many animes are total dogshit and cringeworthy, especially if u havent watched any before
Apr 24, 2019 3:33 PM

Dec 2008
Also I tend to associate with people who I know like anime and avoid others who don't if I can.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Apr 24, 2019 11:19 PM
Aug 2018
Satoushiki said:
That's how the world goes, if you got some interests probably they'll criticize you.

EXACTLY. I like cars, guns, makeup, computers, anime and high fashion; so there's a little of something in there for everyone to find to hate.

If someone was not liking my interest in anime, I'd change the subject to something more up their alley but still something I like, and if we have nothing in common at all, just politely indulge their interests for a polite amount of time and move on.
Apr 25, 2019 12:08 AM

May 2013
i slash their lights out that's what
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Apr 25, 2019 3:59 PM
Jul 2018
I really don't care, as long as they don't go on a rant or over the top insulting, but I never experienced more than "that's weird and for kids, but whatever" since watching anime is pretty mainstream.
Apr 26, 2019 5:38 AM

Oct 2012
Do people actually do this? How negative we talking? Like brief awkwardness or are they like actually judging you?

If anyone was judgemental to me about my hobbies I'd judge them back. That's a stupid way to react.
Apr 27, 2019 11:29 PM

Dec 2016

If they're reacting negatively to it, they sure as hell aren't doing it to my face.
Which I'm okay with.
Apr 28, 2019 8:16 AM

Dec 2016
Luckily I've never had anyone react negatively before. I tend to not bring it up unless other people talk about it first, which doesn't usually happen since I "don't look like I watch anime" Whatever that means lol
Apr 29, 2019 3:54 AM

Aug 2015
I don't think anyone has every really reacted in a negative way. Maybe they'll be a bit suprised, but not more than that. I'll hear a few jokes sometimes that I'm a "weeb" etc. But it's just banter, so we gucci.
Apr 29, 2019 3:57 AM

Aug 2015
Maneki-Mew said:
I really don't care, as long as they don't go on a rant or over the top insulting, but I never experienced more than "that's weird and for kids, but whatever" since watching anime is pretty mainstream.

I swear everytime I hear someone say anime is for kids I always have an internal bruh sound effect 2 moment.
Apr 29, 2019 11:32 AM

Apr 2016
Never happened to me. It sucks that there are people who make fun of anime just because it's strange to them. That's why a lot of us hide that we watch it.

It's cool when I mention anime and the person I'm talking to connects. Some of my other friends who don't watch it know how varied anime is and are open-minded about it.
Apr 29, 2019 1:07 PM

Oct 2018
Only one person knows i watch anime,
and she also watches with me from time to time.
So, really haven't had a scenario where i was met with disgust for liking it.

i'm a worm
Apr 29, 2019 4:16 PM

Aug 2018
Aside from my younger brother and various anonymous online communities, no one honestly knows or asks in my case. Nor do I share unless someone initiates the topic.
INTJ 5w6
Currently Watching:TBA
Recently Completed: Attack on Titan Season 3 Pt 2[/B]
Apr 30, 2019 2:28 AM

Dec 2015
Fortunately I never had to deal with it cause everyone were respecting that , no matter if they like or dislike anime.
Apr 30, 2019 7:58 AM

Aug 2018
Probably nobody asked me about it. But when I see someone who's watching anime just smile on it and thats all. :)

May 3, 2019 3:02 AM
Jul 2018
_Kai said:
Maneki-Mew said:

I swear everytime I hear someone say anime is for kids I always have an internal bruh sound effect 2 moment.

(later answer) Tbh, most times I'm too lazy to argue against that, because it won't work anyway. Everyone is entitled to their prejudices, well.
There is worse things than saying anime is for kids. Quite many anime that are actually targeted to kids are pretty good, so thank you. :D
May 3, 2019 3:19 AM

Jun 2016
Can we please stop pretending anime is some underground thing that nobody understands?

If you can buy a Neon Genesis Evangelion shirt at fucking Hot Topic, we're way beyond that.
May 3, 2019 3:23 AM

Jan 2009
only older people (older than me) say negative things about anime here and who cares since times have changed and so is entertainment, i mean this is the same older people wondering why there is too much superhero and fictional CGI movies now a days instead of their old boring classic dramas and police/war stories
May 6, 2019 7:24 PM
May 2019
Step 1. Value your own opinion.
Step 2. Ignore asshole's opinions
Step 3. Enjoy this feeling every day
May 15, 2019 5:20 AM
May 2019
It used to annoy me but at this point I just don't care anymore.
May 15, 2019 10:52 PM

Dec 2012
I discipline them for their insolence.
Jul 14, 2019 6:48 AM

May 2008
I just don't deal with them it's their opinion. I still love anime XD
Jul 14, 2019 8:38 AM

Mar 2014
Usually I call them hypocrites because they're the type that will watch Archer, South Park, Family Guy, American Dad, Rick & Morty, etc.
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Jul 14, 2019 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
I only got comments about it in high school and I usually just laughed it off and didn’t give them a response that they wanted. I would talk about anime with my best friend back in high school very openly on the bus. This one guy behind us could hear us and just kept saying, “anime sucks”, to which I just said “yeah, anime sucks. Who would watch that crap?”. He said it maybe two more times before he shut up because I didn’t get upset about it. The funny thing is, right before he said anime sucks the first time, he quickly threw in, “except Dragon Ball Z”. Even he couldn’t resist the hot-blooded fight scenes in DBZ! Other than that, it didn’t happen that often, and I was a heavily bullied kid too! There was this one annoying guy in my junior year of high school who would constantly call me a weeb and it was so constant that I would just start to tell him to fuck off. I liked talking to him and all, but that was seriously annoying. Nobody likes a broken record.
Jul 14, 2019 1:28 PM

Aug 2009
Online: Either just shrug it off and move, on or play with them when I've got nothing better to do.

In person: Never experienced this scenario.

Jul 14, 2019 1:59 PM

Nov 2018
I don’t. Let them think whatever they do. What is their negative reaction going to do? Kill me?
Jul 14, 2019 2:05 PM
May 2019
I don't most of my friends like and watch anime and those who don't watch anime don't mind that I do. I wouldn't be friends with someone if they made fun of me for liking anime.

“Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
― Lao Tzu
Jul 14, 2019 8:08 PM

Feb 2019
I was in a discussion about anime at work some time ago and this guy's telling me about Machiavellian something or other and how whatserface is his waifu because she's so tsundere. It's the first time I heard the word in public and I didn't know how to react so I changed the subject.

Some anime talk requires the right setting/audience.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

27 by hypergoob »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

29 by ISeeLifePeople »»
28 minutes ago

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

13 by hypergoob »»
33 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
3 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.