Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Oct 14, 2019 2:17 PM

Oct 2008
-Aincrad- said:
simo000 said:
this has some of the worst writing i've come across in anime. unbelievable

Saying this after 1 episode. Nice.

well yeah, clearly im referring to this episode in particular. this is the episode 1 discussion thread after all
Oct 14, 2019 5:00 PM

Nov 2009
simo000 said:

It somehow manages to get worse once the comic reliefs join in. Hope you like hearing the main shounen lead constantly monologuing about the obvious in the most egregious way possible during his fights for 20+ episodes.
Oct 15, 2019 12:47 AM

Oct 2018
xenovibe said:
simo000 said:

Hope you like hearing the main shounen lead constantly monologuing about the obvious in the most egregious way possible during his fights for 20+ episodes.

Yeah, 'cause that's not what happens in literally every action anime, right?
Oct 15, 2019 12:47 AM

Oct 2018
simo000 said:
-Aincrad- said:

Saying this after 1 episode. Nice.

well yeah, clearly im referring to this episode in particular. this is the episode 1 discussion thread after all

Oh, I thought this was Pokemon discussion, my bad then.
Oct 15, 2019 12:56 PM

Nov 2009
-Aincrad- said:
xenovibe said:

Hope you like hearing the main shounen lead constantly monologuing about the obvious in the most egregious way possible during his fights for 20+ episodes.

Not the good ones in any case.
Oct 15, 2019 1:33 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
xenovibe said:
-Aincrad- said:

In that case, which action anime do you believe to be good?
Oct 15, 2019 4:06 PM

May 2015
xenovibe said:
simo000 said:

It somehow manages to get worse once the comic reliefs join in. Hope you like hearing the main shounen lead constantly monologuing about the obvious in the most egregious way possible during his fights for 20+ episodes.
and what's the problem in him reading the situation in his mind and making strategies?it's the obvious for you because you're watching the show not for him, tanjiro reading the situation in his mind making monologues and strategies is more realistic and immersive.
nanashi796Oct 15, 2019 4:24 PM
Oct 15, 2019 7:25 PM

Nov 2009
MeisterDM said:
xenovibe said:

If we're looking at samurai themed shows alone: Samurai Champloo, Trust and Betrayal and Sword of the Stranger comes to mind.

@nanashi796
That wouldn't be a problem if the characters weren't constantly repeating information ad nauseam, info that was already communicated through visuals in a very obvious fashion. If anything, it makes the characters seem more obnoxious and stupid rather than giving the opposite effect. It's padding for the sake of padding.
xenovibeOct 15, 2019 7:33 PM
Oct 15, 2019 8:14 PM

May 2015
xenovibe said:
MeisterDM said:

If we're looking at samurai themed shows alone: Samurai Champloo, Trust and Betrayal and Sword of the Stranger comes to mind.

@nanashi796
That wouldn't be a problem if the characters weren't constantly repeating information ad nauseam, info that was already communicated through visuals in a very obvious fashion. If anything, it makes the characters seem more obnoxious and stupid rather than giving the opposite effect. It's padding for the sake of padding.
show don't tell in action is overrated and unrealistic,if an enemy threw him an axe or do a strange technique by surprise and he says in his mind he threw me an axe?when he did it?etc and describe the situation thats normal and more realistic than him not saying nothing,doesn't matter if you saw that through visual,tanjiro is reacting to a situation he is living.
nanashi796Oct 15, 2019 8:26 PM
Oct 25, 2019 1:13 PM

Sep 2018
The dubbing is pretty good.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Nov 7, 2019 11:54 AM
Sep 2019
it was a bit predictable but it was still sick but sad like Tokyo ghoul
Nov 20, 2019 8:49 PM

Jul 2013
What a start. The animation is beautiful. Also the design of the characters we saw (most of the time Tanjirou) is something I liked from the first moment on.

When he got stopped by that older guy I knew something would happen, especially when they talked about the demons who show up at night.

But damn, that was heartbreaking. Almost his whole family got killed in such a brutal way. I was just glad that at least his sister was kinda alive. I didn't expect her to be a demon or whatever she transformed in. The question is, what exactly happened at Tanjirous house and why would anyone attack his family?

The moment Giyuu showed up I knew he was a demon hunter. But he seems to be a good guy and like me he was surprised the way Tanjirou attacked and almost hit him with his axe + the fact that Tanjirous sister, even when she tranformed protected him. Also, what's that thing at her mouth? Is this a little container with blood?

I'm very interested to see what will happen to Tanjirou and his sister next.

Nov 26, 2019 9:09 AM
May 2016
Anime that brought tears to our eyes on the very first episode usually will be good for the rest of the episodes :)
Nov 28, 2019 2:33 PM

Sep 2014
Heard some good things about the show, though chose not to go in with too high hopes. Wasn't exactly disappointed by this episode, but guess it starts out very slow. Positives: Solid art and animation. Negatives: cliché so far
Dec 12, 2019 2:01 PM

Jan 2012
genuinely have not really followed the anime scene for a while so had no idea how popular this was (only thing I saw when going through my list for what anime to pick up was the high average rating) but my lord what a first episode that was!!!

emotional, gripping, intense, horrific! hundreds of people have said it already but the animation is just sublime and a treat to watch! yes maybe a little cliche in terms of plot and storyline, but it was executed almost perfectly! really looking forward to this one hope it continues, might even pick up the manga and I haven't read a manga in the best part of a year!!!!
Dec 27, 2019 7:40 PM

Aug 2017
The episode that started it all.

I was a bit skeptical at first but it escalated to something epic.

Thank you UFOTABLE and Koyoharu Gotouge for making a piece of art.

Jan 1, 2020 4:09 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
You know I am really shocked this got so much attention from the get go. The opening episode really did not hook me at all and until Giyuu shows up I was flat lining the whole time.

I also hate series that open in media res without good reason and for this to open up like this when it's a scene later on in the episode really annoys me.

Tanjirou though I like his character archetype seems like too much of a "good boy with no flaw" I feel it and I don't feel anything for his dead family cause we don't even get to know them.

Honestly if my friend didn't beg me to watch this; sheesh.
Jan 5, 2020 4:44 AM

Jan 2016
Ok start, didn't feel toooo much happened but the foundations are there. Really like the opening, even though I'm sort of tired of hearing LiSA's voice. And I know it's been said a million times but this is genuinely one of the most eye-catching and aesthetically pleasing anime ever.
Jan 24, 2020 9:48 PM

Jun 2009
that was about as dull as i thought it would be. glad i didn't watch this while it was airing.
Feb 3, 2020 1:28 AM
May 2016
fancy shirt for people who live in the mountain and sell charcoals :D and another fancy fashion oni-hunter using gakuran with fancy haori. Giyuu who encourages mc and help him because he was late and maybe his past just like mc too. Wooden axe really comes too late but well this shounen genre I will accept everything illogically. backsound, ost, and animation really help for premier. good start 6/10
Mar 6, 2020 10:49 PM
Mar 2020
This anime very nice not bad i love this anime, the story' Lane ia very interesting
May 19, 2020 12:34 AM

Jul 2012
Show is definitely shounen af haha. The OP has me really excited for the show and all the fight scenes though. Animation looks amazing. Natsuki Hanae is also a great seiyuu :O
May 19, 2020 6:24 PM

Jan 2019
Finally have the time to start this one. Tanjirou seems to suffer from protagonist syndrome, especially during the fight scene as he threw the hatchet in the air. Ah well, such is the shounen anime- great start regardless.
Jun 11, 2020 6:14 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Fucking oni, killed mai waifu Hanako! I want some revenged! RIP in the first episode! A fuckin ridiculous, man!

Shit always happen when you leaved your entire family in the middle of storm snow flakes. I really understand that, Tanjirou....

A very nice starter. I really like this kind of show. Very well done!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 19, 2020 5:17 AM
Jan 2010
The environments are pretty but it had every cliche in the book. In fact anyone could read the whole episode like a book from that moment they figure it's an isolated cabin in the middle of oni-infested woods. With family death flags absolutely all over the place. Somehow they've survived until this moment without any issue, perhaps they didn't know there are oni wandering about? Besides it being common knowledge to the point even a random old plot device knows about it.

That old man with his exposition was particularly awful. He can't go back home because there are oni wandering about, but those oni have no qualms about opening doors. So the end result should be the same, inside or outside doesn't matter. They'll find and kill you anyway. Oh no, but you need to stay safe inside today, just to make sure they have time to kill your family.

What I'm getting at is don't be an only parent raising a huge fucking family in the middle of the oniwoods in an isolated cabin with no way of protecting yourself. Not exactly high IQ writing. But I guess it explains why this is so critically acclaimed.
Jul 4, 2020 11:27 AM

Mar 2010
TBFH they deserved to all die, they decided oh .. lets live in the fucking mountains in the middle of nowhere and see if we don't get eaten by demons.. but yeah I like where this is going other than their blatant ignorance. lol

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 5, 2020 10:55 PM

Mar 2020
This shit was boring but goddamn it looked crisp af
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jul 7, 2020 12:21 AM

May 2016
Wasn’t impressed. Hate the directing. I really hate anime exposition so much and this is full of it.

Does he really need a full 3 - 4 minutes of monologue and exposition while he’s being attacked by a demon LOL. Make it makes sense.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jul 16, 2020 4:57 AM
Jun 2020
This is great i cant wait to see how the story progresses. I wonder if demons are in the shapes of humans or if they look like beasts?? although if Nezuko is one they all probs look human. it follows the whole orphan trope like a lot of other shonen anime do but O'm a bit of a sucker for it so i don't mind. Nice characters and character design.
Aug 26, 2020 10:31 AM

May 2016
Despite its overwhelming popularity for quite a while now, I've only decided to try out this anime as of recent with my only experience with the series being memes & Nezuko fanart after months of having bought the manga's first volume that I haven't read yet and I was pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed this episode, especially with the art & animation.

Things started off epically and I'm looking forward to seeing this getting a lot better later on since a setting like this has a lot of potential.

Aug 31, 2020 5:57 PM

Aug 2020
Uau, que primeiro episódio impactante, impressionado pela qualidade da animação, o design dos personagens é fofo e ao mesmo tempo transmite seriedade.

As cenas de ação pareceram bem fluidas e o assassinato da família do Tanjirou foi pesado para o começo... eu adorei!

Em questão de roteiro, ele não me parece algo tão inovador (pelo pouco conteúdo que nos foi apresentado), mas eu sou um cara que adora clichês, então estou apostando alto.

//

Wow, what an impactful first episode, impressed by the quality of the animation, the character design is cute and at the same time conveys seriousness.

The action scenes seemed very fluid and the murder of Tanjirou's family was heavy for the beginning ... I loved it!

In terms of a script, he doesn't seem like something that innovative (due to the little content that was presented to us), but I'm a guy who loves clichés, so I'm betting big.

(Sorry for baka english)
Unlimited Rulebook, boku wa kimegao de sou itta.
Sep 10, 2020 10:14 PM

Jun 2020
interesting start, very 残酷 indeed :'(

keen to see what kind of character tanjirou will be like. i actually thought he would be better if voiced by matsuoka yoshitsugu, the screaming isn't doing it for me at the moment

love the art & sound direction. gurenge!!!!!! first heard it without even watching KNY. and wow the character designs are great

i have high expectations for this.......

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Nov 2, 2020 5:58 PM
Jul 2020
Ok, so far animation is amazing, and I love how the characters look. Also, I love Tanjiro and Nezuko so far. They are both cute, and seem like they will be interesting characters
Nov 14, 2020 9:44 PM

Jul 2020
I finally watched Demon Slayer and it definitely lived lived up to the hype. I always waned to see why it was popular. I love the animation, the main character is someone who I feel like I can make a connection with. Also the music is pretty good too.
5/5
Dec 8, 2020 7:33 PM

Aug 2020
A bit better than I had expected. Surprised to here one of the characters have one of my favorite VAs. I kept losing interest but it takes me a little while to get into shows so I'm not gonna drop it or anything.

Dec 17, 2020 8:13 PM
Mar 2017
wow that was just incredibly boring and generic i was expecting something more
Dec 26, 2020 7:05 AM
Dec 2014
heard about the anime a lot.
But the first episode is way too inconsistent.
Jan 1, 2021 4:42 AM

Jul 2015
Damn the animation looks incredible with an interesting shounen story premise. Bit late to the watching this, but since it's seen as one of the best anime of the year, my expectations are pretty high for this.

Jan 2, 2021 10:16 AM

Jul 2019
Typical shounen. Thats FMAB (which I never finished) premise right there. Family killed. Fix the sibling. Next he'll probably want to save the world lol
Jan 11, 2021 11:09 PM

Jan 2021
That was a solid first ep and well ufotable did it again.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jan 15, 2021 4:14 AM
Jan 2021
Not what I was expecting but very interesting
Jan 28, 2021 6:56 AM
Jan 2021
Nc.anime hahahahahahhahhah
Feb 15, 2021 10:52 AM

Feb 2014
that was quite predictable, knew the family was going to be dead when he went back in the morning and also the way that demon hunter was talking to the main character was that typical shonen stuff i guess, but interesting so far, excited to see more, I've not read the manga or anything so I have no clue about any of this
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Feb 15, 2021 11:41 AM
Nov 2017
how did the first episode got me crying
Mar 18, 2021 9:30 AM

Apr 2020
Came here from a youtube video and holy shit is this amazing. the op and ed are amazing, the story is setting up for something really interesting it seems. on to the next episode!
Mar 20, 2021 2:00 AM

Jan 2020
Since everyone is going on and on about this show I figured I'd check it out eventually. I guess today is that day, so here we go with episode 1:

The art is good, so there's that. But, so far, the dialogue and story seem pretty cookie-cutter. I burst out laughing at the line, "Your brother can walk fast." I don't think it was supposed to be funny, but it just came off as ridiculous in the context of an MC. Is that his power? Shuffling with moderate speed? Heh... I find things amusing that usually shouldn't be.

The pacing of this show is weird. It comes off as a more bubbly version of Dororo.

Maybe it's just because I've seen so many things, but MC stumbling upon his dead family feels wasted on me. It's such a troupe at this point... and I didn't even get a chance to meet any of these characters. We need some lead time to feel bad for the deaths.

Wait.. did the MC just "remember" something that someone said that hasn't yet been established? Oof...

"Needless to say I'm going to decapitate your sister."
Okay? Do it? Why are we still talking right now? Let's create some tragedy instead of saying we're going to.

The more this episode progresses, the more betrayed I feel about how much people hyped it up.

"Don't ever give others the chance to murder you."
Isn't this guy a "Demon Slayer"? Why is he getting upset that a human is begging? Is he also a Human Slayer?

Ah, it's like Tokyo Ghoul meets Bleach meets Rurouni Kenshin meets Dororo.

It feels like, at least their trying? I can tell they put thought into what is happening but, yeah... I doubt I'll like this show. It's trying too hard right now and yet none of what has happened even feels like it matters to me. I really don't care about this MC. The art is pretty good but the story is just a poor retelling of things that have come before it. Maybe it gets better? I guess we'll see, I plan to suffer through this to the end, but I'm not expecting much.

Probably won't post again until around the half-way point.
commonxreactionMar 24, 2021 7:00 AM

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Mar 20, 2021 3:29 PM
Jul 2018
That was an amazing episode! Beautifully animated.
Apr 4, 2021 2:32 PM

Feb 2019
Bro, the animation, art style and world building are fantastic. They remind me of Attack on Titan (not as good, obviously, but close enough). I was suprised that they didn't shy away from blood at all - in fact, I liked how liberally they used it.

I'm excited for this series. The only complaint I had was the easily recognisable shounen plot points - he's not strong enough, needs to get stronger, blah blah blah.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Apr 6, 2021 9:05 AM

May 2011
The scene with the dead family was very surprising, but a good addition.
I also had to rewatch the beginning scene to figure out which one she was, as he had 5 siblings & a mother that we only get to see for very few seconds before tragedy strikes.

Also, Nezuko looks very different in demon form.

I am not sure if I will keep watching this show. My sister recommended this title to me, & the ending song looks promising with upcoming battles, but I really dislike super childish goody-two-shoes wimp main characters like Tanjirou & My hero academia’s + his scar looks ugly & unexplained. I wish Tanjirou were older with a stronger personality & had no scars or at least better looking ones, but I also realise that characters like him are unfortunately popular & common due to them appealing to the lowest common denominator.

This episode reminded me of a much better, older series called Rurouni Kenshin, which also featured Samurai but was more realistic, historical & didn’t include demons.

Anyway, we’ll see if I pick up demon slayer back up or not. I really like Giyu’s voice actor. I immediately recognized him for playing Shin, the main enemy in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and he was a fantastic character. If I do return, it will be for him & future fights only lol

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeApr 6, 2021 3:57 PM
"Giving one's name to someone about to die is meaningless." - Hiko Seijuurou
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou
Apr 27, 2021 10:28 AM

Oct 2019
Decent start. I didn't hear the OP when I watched it on Netflix. Did I skip it by accident? lol

Edit: Oh you know what maybe the OP played at the end, there was no ending theme for episode 1.
AcbSnakeDemonApr 28, 2021 11:27 AM
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2019

227 by Atavistic »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2019

313 by skatensleep »»
Today, 2:03 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 11, 2019

233 by skatensleep »»
Today, 1:41 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2019

238 by skatensleep »»
Today, 1:11 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

273 by skatensleep »»
Today, 12:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.