Forum Settings
Forums

Why do "YOU" care so much about other people's opinion?

New
Mar 31, 2019 5:36 PM

Aug 2018
I don't get how some people get so invested in anime discussions, I mean, this is just a hobby. I see people trying to convince that "x show" is great and that nobody undestand it, all of that while fighting and insulting everyone without even paying attention to what anyone that disagrees even a bit says.

I also don't get why so many people like to claim that "x show" is the best, there is no best anime of all times, just stop.

I've been triggered by discussions related to anime, but never (or almost never, lol) by someone's tastes. Even oneself's tastes change with time to a different degree, so I don't see much sense fighting over that (you can agree or disagree tho, it's not the same fighting than not sharing an opinion).

In my case, I just want to enjoy anime and the only thing that I ask is for a proper ending, with that I'm cool so I don't get that rage some people feel.

Edit: I'm not saying that you can't argue, what I mean by fighting is when those discussions become a shitfest or when someone makes a totally subjective that can't be discussed.
DaCraziGuyMar 31, 2019 8:18 PM
Mar 31, 2019 5:42 PM

Oct 2014
Because, for me, it's intellectually engaging. When i talk critically about something in say a thread, i'll learn things i didn't know i knew from just breaking it down in my posts, as well as from other people whether i'm right or wrong. Different insights on even the same thing can be very eye opening.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the greatest anime of all time.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Mar 31, 2019 5:47 PM

Aug 2013
How condescending of you to state that "I" care about other people's opinion. I'll write a full essay plus a fully formatted appendix complete with sources for each citation on how much I DON'T care about what others think.
Mar 31, 2019 5:51 PM

Jun 2017
Why shouldn't? Isn't interactions and discussions, not only about anime but about any subject, part of what makes it so interesting to be part of a society/community? There might be people that don't care about others' opinions , but I do. Like for example, I'd dropped Re:zero when it first aired, and I was harsh with it, trashing it as many others here, but thanks to discussing it with someone here on MAL, I gave it another chance and ended up having a great time watching it.

imo it helps make the whole experience more enjoyable and fun. Even the "x is best anime" ones.

Mar 31, 2019 6:05 PM

Oct 2013
People can have whatever opinion they want. Only time it bothers me in any way is when someone states an opinion as if it were fact.
Mar 31, 2019 6:09 PM

Apr 2016
This is anime discussions my dude. The whole point of this thread is to "discuss" so if you're not doing that, then you're doing it wrong lol.

Discussing is fun, doesn't have to be ill mannered or anything.
Mar 31, 2019 6:13 PM
Jan 2012
Because that's how discussions and conversation work? I think you're combining people that care about other people's opinions, and people that are disrespectful about other people's opinions. Not everyone that cares about another's opinion is being disrespectful about it. You think the two sides of this are people that don't care about someone's opinions vs People that do, but what it really is, is people that are civil vs people that aren't.

Also, what? You don't like when people say "x show is the best"? So not only do you want people to not care at all about anyone's opinions, but they aren't allowed to post them either?
Mar 31, 2019 6:19 PM

Sep 2017
I can respect an opinion, but when someone starts attacking me or other people as if their opinion is factual, then I will have something to say about it. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with an opinion as well.
Mar 31, 2019 6:20 PM

Nov 2011
If you find people that only trying to convince other people that particular show is great but themselves don't care other people opinion then they are bad people ...
But not everyone like that, you can also find people who likes to open his mind to listen and consider the probability that other people are right and they are wrong and missed something when watching/reading it ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Mar 31, 2019 6:37 PM
Feb 2017
It's really simple to understand. Most nerd fans do not have anything in their offline life going on for them. So they hyper-focus on their online hobbies. Such as debating the level of the deepness of anime stuff.
Having said that, I love discussions about all sorts of subjects. Anime is just one of them.
Mar 31, 2019 6:44 PM

Mar 2012
People just want some validation for their action. Simple as that. You just want to have someone out there to have the same view as you and agree with your opinion.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 31, 2019 6:48 PM

Mar 2019
I find arguing to be mentally stimulating and enjoyable tbh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2019 7:00 PM

May 2017
So basically, you are telling people to stop discussing anime on an anime forum. wow

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Mar 31, 2019 7:06 PM

Jan 2018
I don't care enough about others' opinions to actually argue with them over anything, but a friendly discussion is a different story. I'm not gonna bash someone's tastes if they like different shit than I do, but a good conversation can go a long way in enhancing one's appreciation toward any specific title.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Mar 31, 2019 7:09 PM

Dec 2008
Truth be told I usually don't give a flying fuck about what others think.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Mar 31, 2019 7:22 PM

May 2015
Anime opinions are just a person's way of saying "Notice me, Senpai!" Let them talk. Opinions are what keep the internet alive.
Mar 31, 2019 7:32 PM

Jul 2015
I don't care too much, but I can clearly see why most people do. It's because it psychologically invalidates your opinion or perspective. It's called cognitive dissonance. To you, its inconceivable that other people don't find the same joy as you do in that anime, especially just after you've watched it when the emotion is raw. So people get defensive about it because it solves the cognitive dissonance in our minds, which is actually a mental stressor. We love an anime, but someone else hates it. Unless you can completely reject their opinions (which is harder for people to do than they think) then you have to attack theirs to validate your own, or you harden yourself and grow thicker skin.
In the end humans are social creatures, and we are easily impacted by the feelings of others even when we are all hundreds to thousands of kilometers away, we still feel it.
Mar 31, 2019 8:17 PM

Dec 2017
Why give a shit about other ppls opinion in the first place. If it triggers you so much, just don't bother with anime discussions then.
Mar 31, 2019 8:27 PM

Aug 2018
Lunilah said:
Because, for me, it's intellectually engaging. When i talk critically about something in say a thread, i'll learn things i didn't know i knew from just breaking it down in my posts, as well as from other people whether i'm right or wrong. Different insights on even the same thing can be very eye opening.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the greatest anime of all time.
zBluee said:
So basically, you are telling people to stop discussing anime on an anime forum. wow
Ryuk9428 said:
I find arguing to be mentally stimulating and enjoyable tbh.
Jim_Heart said:
If you find people that only trying to convince other people that particular show is great but themselves don't care other people opinion then they are bad people ...
But not everyone like that, you can also find people who likes to open his mind to listen and consider the probability that other people are right and they are wrong and missed something when watching/reading it ...

I never meant that you can't discuss nor disagree, I meant when someone makes a claim that can't be argued because there is nothing to disscus, I never saw anything positive in a discussion with someone wiht the "I'm right because I am" mentality.
Mar 31, 2019 9:08 PM

Oct 2018
I must guide all the lost weebs and open their eyes so that they may see what shit taste they have. I will right their wrong and I will bring them to enlightenment.
Mar 31, 2019 9:49 PM

Sep 2018
I don't argue about anime. I don't give a shit if someone has a negative opinion on an anime I like. There's too much going on in my life to care about that stuff. Anyone that argues about which anime is better is a complete fucking retard that doesn't deserve to live.

More topics from this board

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

59 by Daviljoe193 »»
5 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

67 by Gator »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 6 hours ago

22 by nishant0 »»
11 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - Today

48 by alshu »»
11 minutes ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

56 by alshu »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.