Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 20, 2019 5:03 AM

Sep 2016
Idk much about studios but ive heard Madhouse is known for great animation. And I saw many were dissapointed in that regard so far at the beginning. 4 episodes in, what do you guys think?

I think for me, I was expecting animation of the same level as the promo trailer and we havent quite seen that yet so maybe im a little let down. But perhaps I shouldnt have made my expectations based on that.

Jan 20, 2019 11:51 AM

Jan 2018
It's been pretty mediocre honestly, especially in the first three episodes. The scene when Echoes was shaking looked really bad and my god that fight scene in episode 3 was damn near laughable.
What a beautiful Duwang
Jan 20, 2019 12:01 PM

Jan 2009
2 things is a big factor on animation quality and that is talent and time thats about it and not the anime studio

sure this show have talented animators and directors but they do not have enough time to animate things beautifully, source https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/01/03/winter-2019-anime-preview/

anime studios only hire those talented staff, majority of talented staff are free lancers on the anime industry too, there is a animator shortage crisis going on since there is not enough new animators joining the anime industry because of low pay and long hours of work, and also anime shows are being produce in huge quantities today but their is not enough talented animators and directors to animate them all

about time, that is the production schedule and deadline of when the anime show will air, and usually deadlines are set by the owners of the anime show which is the production committee and most of the time the anime studio is not part of this ownership or production committee
Jan 21, 2019 1:00 AM
Oct 2018
Episode 1 had the real standout horrible animation and I'm not really sure if it was an attempt at a new animation technique that just turned out to suck or if something fell through in production but it wasn't normal. Aside from that, everything has been more or less okay. Not fantastic, but okay.
Jan 22, 2019 1:34 AM

Nov 2018
It's good. People expect too much
Jan 22, 2019 2:06 AM

Feb 2018
I think people were expecting way too much since it's Madhouse doing this , imo it gets the job done so i'm fine with animation so far but i'll have to agree that the fight scene EP3 was a little disappointing , however we still have 14 more episodes i believe madhouse will do a better job handling the future arcs
Jan 22, 2019 3:24 AM
May 2017
I am quite fond of the look of the anime so far. It has a very calm, clean and simple look opposed to the majority of recent shows with really high art quality (where everything is so flashy, bright, colorful it hurts my eyes, and sure they look as beautiful as paintings I could hang out on the wall, but usually they have as much story as a painting as well).

Characters that are relatively far away have no faces, but they are treating the main characters the same way, so it is a decision that they want to look it like this (if they would only do this to the background characters then it would be lazy, if they do this to every character, including main characters, then it is style :D )
The fight scene sure wasn't looking too good, but that because it is so not in focus. The anime clearly not about fighting scenes, all we had to know was "yeah, they are fighting", then the result.

So IMO it is not bad animation, it is just a different artstyle (that is kind of reminding me of the old classics, and since the Boogiepop LN is from that era, it makes sense they would want to portray it that way).
That said you still can dislike the artstyle, but I don't think "DUH, ANIMATION MONEY RAN OUT" is the case.
imSOuniqueJan 22, 2019 3:41 AM
Jan 22, 2019 6:11 AM

Sep 2015
Seems like a good tease for the Novel readers but as anime is just not working.
Jan 22, 2019 6:20 AM

Apr 2018
Just as I predicted, this anime was gonna reach Darlin In The Franxx levels of division and controversy.
I think this anime has been great so far! But as I've said before, I've not read the LN. I'm more than sure that the LN is great and if I truly liked this story I should read it (I plan to read it sometime later ok? sheesh).
The blurry fighting scenes I thought were an aesthetic choice that I felt fit in with the creepy atmosphere of the anime. I don't get why so many people complain about it.
The first 3 episodes were great! The only thing I will admit that's true was that the ending of the first ark was unexpected, and I guess if you're a fan of the LN, you probably expected more.
So I guess it comes down to, it's a good anime but it's not a good adaptation.
Jan 22, 2019 8:46 AM

Oct 2018
TBH , i think the animation is okay, neither good nor bad but when it comes to the show the rating is kinda underrated. i mean, for me it should be around 7.6 ! The show would have been better if the conversation b/w characters was not too slow and boring. The animation of the show depends on the animators of the studio who are currently working on this show's animation.
Tokyo ghoul's 1st ,2nd ,3rd and 4th season were a big mistake of Pierrot!!!!!
Jan 22, 2019 8:57 AM
Jul 2018
I like it, but it does feel a little lack luster to me, but that may be the point.
Jan 22, 2019 10:37 AM
Jan 2018
The director that did one punch man is doing this right ...why didn't they just do one punch man season 2 instead . By the looks it probably wouldn't have made much difference
Jan 22, 2019 11:53 AM
Aug 2018
I understand we're supposed to feel confused and that it pieces everything together nicely- but this constant feeling of confusion due to characters looking similar has turned me off from the show. I'll still be watching to see if it gets better but so far it has not achieved my expectations.
Jan 22, 2019 12:14 PM
Sep 2016
That PV was using original footage specifically made to have a PV to hype the audience for the anime and give an idea of the expected animation quality... It wasn't made using footage from the anime itself though they later included a bit of it into the show
1.1.Six
Jan 22, 2019 1:15 PM

Jan 2017
I'm serious right now, the art and animation is the worst i've ever seen. It made me stop watching the first ep halfway. It's so fucking atrocious.

I prefer the Berserk CGI over this shit and that's not even a joke
you're cool
Jan 22, 2019 3:45 PM
Aug 2014
SparkingVolt said:
I'm serious right now, the art and animation is the worst i've ever seen. It made me stop watching the first ep halfway. It's so fucking atrocious.

And Just Because is 9/10. Ok. Animation in JB looks like it was done in Microsoft Paint. Boogiepop at least looks sharp and crisp in still frames.
Jan 22, 2019 3:48 PM

Dec 2017
SparkingVolt said:

Come on. It can't be the worst you've ever seen if you watched Tokyo Ghoul:re last season.

Sanchit_Jain said:
TBH , i think the animation is okay, neither good nor bad but when it comes to the show the rating is kinda underrated. i mean, for me it should be around 7.6 ! The show would have been better if the conversation b/w characters was not too slow and boring. The animation of the show depends on the animators of the studio who are currently working on this show's animation.
Maybe it currently gets outshined by the more popular series like The Promised Neverland, Dororo, Mob Psycho 100 II, Kakegurui××, or Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai; which are indeed very good so far... But I could enjoy all of them just fine, though.
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 22, 2019 3:50 PM

Jan 2017
LockHowl said:
SparkingVolt said:

And Just Because is 9/10. Ok. Animation in JB looks like it was done in Microsoft Paint. Boogiepop at least looks sharp and crisp in still frames.

Yeah, Just Because looked ugly. At least it was tolerable, unlike Boogiepop.
you're cool
Jan 22, 2019 3:56 PM
Jan 2015
Animation is mediocre at moments, but people saying that ART is bad there should visit a doctor honestly.
Pure drawing quality is extremely good.
Jan 22, 2019 3:57 PM
Aug 2014
SparkingVolt said:
LockHowl said:

I'm not going to pin you on your opinion because everyone is allowed to have them no matter how disagreeable. However JB was unwatchable throughout. The quality never improved, no scene looked over 5 out of 10.

Steins;Gate had a terrible ep1. Far more confusing than Boogiepop could ever hope. The animation and story pacing was super finicky. Gintama had a terrible episode 1 and 2. Yet both these shows are top rated. Watching an anime and saying you couldn't stand half of episode 1 is premature decision making. Anyway you do you.
Jan 22, 2019 4:07 PM

Jan 2017
LockHowl said:
SparkingVolt said:

I'm not going to pin you on your opinion because everyone is allowed to have them no matter how disagreeable. However JB was unwatchable throughout. The quality never improved, no scene looked over 5 out of 10.

Steins;Gate had a terrible ep1. Far more confusing than Boogiepop could ever hope. The animation and story pacing was super finicky. Gintama had a terrible episode 1 and 2. Yet both these shows are top rated. Watching an anime and saying you couldn't stand half of episode 1 is premature decision making. Anyway you do you.

I watched all of the episode, but I'm saying that I didn't enjoy the art and animation. I stopped watching it halfway, but I went back to it. Obviously, animation won't make me hate a show, but the first ep of Boogiepop was just not good. I loved Gintama's and Steins;gate's first episode a whole lot though. I wouldn' say they were terrible. I wasn't confused with the first ep of Boogiepop because I know what I don't understand will be touched on later. From what I've heard the first episode was horribly adapted and left out very crucial things. I didn't enjoy the first episode, but I'm going to keep watching anyway.
you're cool
Jan 23, 2019 7:51 AM

Oct 2018
electromagneto said:
SparkingVolt said:

Come on. It can't be the worst you've ever seen if you watched Tokyo Ghoul:re last season.

Sanchit_Jain said:
Maybe it currently gets outshined by the more popular series like The Promised Neverland, Dororo, Mob Psycho 100 II, Kakegurui××, or Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai; which are indeed very good so far... But I could enjoy all of them just fine, though.
Indeed, as boogiepop is currently against the best animes of this season.and tokyo ghoul:re's animation is average as the animation this show has. The director, animators and producers of tokyo ghoul:re ruined the whole series by missing the important parts of the manga and by putting boring scenes in between. I wish they dont get another anime series as they only ruin the series. They even put 120+ chapters in just 12 episodes. those who were working on tokyo ghoul:re do not have the skills to afford another anime series
Sanchit_JainJan 28, 2019 9:10 PM
Tokyo ghoul's 1st ,2nd ,3rd and 4th season were a big mistake of Pierrot!!!!!
Jan 23, 2019 10:31 PM
Apr 2017
I'm not an amination elitist, so I hardly complain about that, but I do am pretty picky about the story... This one is lackluster to my taste, I don't mind slow pacing, but this one hardly makes me wanna watch the next episode.
Jan 25, 2019 9:12 AM

Sep 2017
As of right now I dont really have any problems with the animation
Are we really gonna make it..?
Jan 25, 2019 9:28 AM

Jan 2017
pretty average for madhouse studio if you ask me
Jan 25, 2019 10:10 AM

Oct 2017
It's not as bad as people make it sound to be.
Jan 25, 2019 10:13 AM

Jun 2015
Good grief you people. You're not satisfied with 8/10 animation? This is a mystery show. It's not supposed to have the best animation you've ever seen in your whole fucking life. It's fine. It's good. Stop complaining.
Read Toriko!
Jan 25, 2019 12:16 PM

Jan 2013
At this point I'm pretty sure you people don't know what animation is.
Jan 25, 2019 4:50 PM

Oct 2013
It's fine.
This show doesn't need a lot of flashy animation anyway.
Jan 26, 2019 12:11 AM
Apr 2017
They failed to make the show visually interesting and tell the stories in a way that does the novel justice while simultaneously piques interest. It's a shame, really, because looking back at the trailer and the op/ed we can see that the staff has potential for so much more. It isn't terrible, but you can't help but feel that the story was written by a 13 year old and drawn by a bunch of guys who basically gave no fucks. I do hope it gets a lot better in both regards. It still is enjoyable, just not nearly as much.
Jan 26, 2019 4:00 AM

Oct 2018
Probably the animation was meant to be like this for the sake of the story but i cant shake it that most of the character faces look pretty much the same which is really confusing. Story wise is not really interesting to watch i don't really mind the animation if the story was good but it feels messy maybe just my taste is different and its doesn't suits that type of anime. I watch few more eps but probably will drop it at some point.

Jan 26, 2019 8:27 AM
Mar 2016
I don't think it's bad at all, just average. I also loved the animation in PV but disappointed by not seeing the same quality in the show. The first episode looked good tbh, hope we will atleast see some really good animation here and there.
Jan 26, 2019 8:33 AM

May 2014
It's fine, my main problem is the character designs. They should've just used Ogata's designs as they're much more unique.
Jan 29, 2019 12:23 PM
Mar 2018
SparkingVolt said:
LockHowl said:

I watched all of the episode, but I'm saying that I didn't enjoy the art and animation. I stopped watching it halfway, but I went back to it. Obviously, animation won't make me hate a show, but the first ep of Boogiepop was just not good. I loved Gintama's and Steins;gate's first episode a whole lot though. I wouldn' say they were terrible. I wasn't confused with the first ep of Boogiepop because I know what I don't understand will be touched on later. From what I've heard the first episode was horribly adapted and left out very crucial things. I didn't enjoy the first episode, but I'm going to keep watching anyway.
Ugh I'm damn sick about these people that complains the adaptation. Tbh it was pretty good leaving the filler parts for the story and focusing only on the important parts. You just need to pay attention more on details that the anime gives you opposed on the light novel that basically tell to you for the media format of a book and leaves out just a bit of mistery, but still not that clear. If they would adapt the ln words by words the show would be boring af. So you guys should just use your brain instead of coming having watched other shows that explain everything to you. That's part of the charm of boogiepop as it is like a puzzle. And imo the animation is really fluid so far especially the fight of episode 3 frame by frame.
Jan 29, 2019 12:52 PM
Jul 2017
phantom346 said:
Good grief you people. You're not satisfied with 8/10 animation? This is a mystery show. It's not supposed to have the best animation you've ever seen in your whole fucking life. It's fine. It's good. Stop complaining.

The thing is: the only reason it would be worth watching the anime or maybe any kind of adaptation is for seeing the scenes you really liked in the novel or the scenes which you thought to yourself: "Damn, I wish my imagination was far more vivid so I could picture it better" animated in a good fashion. If the quality is around what I can imagine myself or if it looks way worse, then it's a waste of time.

If this is 8/10 animation then I don't know what you would call Zaregoto's animation, which is also a mystery show/novel but it looks quite a lot better, but that adaptation has its problems as well, although I would deem it a lot more worthy than this piece of wasted japanese animation force.

fancyjasper said:
It's fine, my main problem is the character designs. They should've just used Ogata's designs as they're much more unique.

Definitely agree with you here, the designs are really very same-y and bland, the animation is really just alright, but I wouldn't watch something that's just alright because I don't want to waste my time on mediocre things.
Jan 29, 2019 1:13 PM

Jan 2017
Alex82829290 said:
SparkingVolt said:

Ugh I'm damn sick about these people that complains the adaptation. Tbh it was pretty good leaving the filler parts for the story and focusing only on the important parts. You just need to pay attention more on details that the anime gives you opposed on the light novel that basically tell to you for the media format of a book and leaves out just a bit of mistery, but still not that clear. If they would adapt the ln words by words the show would be boring af. So you guys should just use your brain instead of coming having watched other shows that explain everything to you. That's part of the charm of boogiepop as it is like a puzzle. And imo the animation is really fluid so far especially the fight of episode 3 frame by frame.

Yeah, "Focusing on important parts' The end of the first episode was ruined and was just laughable because they left out conversations between the mc and boogiepop and made the scene have like 0 meaning at all. I never said I was confused, and no one ever said they wanted it word for word. If you are going to make an adaptation that follows the same plot, you have to tell the story how it was intended. I only watched the first episode, but it didn't do that. A lot of times the anime adaptation is used as an alternative to experience the same story for people who don't wanna read the source material. This adaptation is a horrible impression for the series and will make people think it's bad.
you're cool
Jan 30, 2019 2:27 AM

Oct 2015
LockHowl said:
SparkingVolt said:

Steins;Gate had a terrible first episode??? o.O And it was more confusing than Boogiepop's??? We must live in different world lines xD
Feb 3, 2019 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
Just fine but still disappointing especially coming from highly acclaimed anime studio: MADHOUSE. I feel they using 12/13 episode budget show on a 18 episode show. So that explains alot of still shots and lack of key animations. Also most of non-main character designs have been lackluster as well.
Feb 3, 2019 2:14 PM

Jan 2018
my honest opinion, idk anything about Boogiepop beforehand so I'm as blind as you. I smell masterpiece in the making, this is not the kind of story you can enjoy just by casually watching, you need to piece together everything, the show's timeline clearly back and forward, I believe everything will be worth it in the end, I definitely going to re'watch this show when its done.
I'm talking about the story aspect
Feb 8, 2019 4:51 PM
Aug 2014
Nostalgik said:
LockHowl said:

Steins;Gate had a terrible first episode??? o.O And it was more confusing than Boogiepop's??? We must live in different world lines xD

Sure, I'm in the real world and you're in denial.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=290985
Feb 8, 2019 11:15 PM

Jan 2008
Garbage.

Weak and uninspired directing, bad visuals, non-existent characters, lacks focus of any kind and no value at all. I'm on the verge of dropping it.
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Feb 12, 2019 4:30 AM

Jun 2007
JudoJD said:
That PV was using original footage specifically made to have a PV to hype the audience for the anime and give an idea of the expected animation quality...

ThereArentNames said:
They failed to make the show visually interesting and tell the stories in a way that does the novel justice while simultaneously piques interest. It's a shame, really, because looking back at the trailer and the op/ed we can see that the staff has potential for so much more. It isn't terrible, but you can't help but feel that the story was written by a 13 year old and drawn by a bunch of guys who basically gave no fucks..

I have been misled by anime trailers before - most recently, Angolmois showing animation almost exclusively taken from its opening, then having basically none - but a trailer with such a high budget presentation being created with the sole intent of generatating hype through deception is a new one to me. The gap between the trailer and whatever the hell that comical 'fight' was in ep3 is staggering.

It was SO bad it reminded me of this classic:

An anime doesn't necessarily need a budget, as Madhouse showed nearly 20years ago with the disturbing horror vibe of the original Boogiepop anime; which I watched after dropping... this. An artistic vision to set the mood and a coherent attempt at an interconnected mystery, imitating what I assume the novels went for, was all that was needed. But this 2019 shite has no creative passion behind it and instead seems to highlight the worst of light novel bollox: high schoolers that come across as fake (special ops attire Nagi, murder investigator Suema). They all look the same and dialogue is rushed-awful.

And the timeline jumping, without any flow or warning, when everything looks so bland and samey?... it was a fittingly terrible attempt at making a lot of alien nonsense 'deep'. Baccano this ain't. The 2000 anime made it work, despite being episodic and reliant on some prior knowledge, yet the 2019 one couldn't manage it when each episode directly connects.

For me, Boogiepop 2019 highlights how low TV anime regularly goes; unable to show animation, full of generic CG backgrounds and basic art. So many series are pumped out without money, or talent, and the end result is just a load of cheap, uninspired shite.

...oh, and Madhouse? It's been at least a decade since they were any kind of anime quality benchmark. Parasyte a few years ago had blob detail/animation at times.
AironicallyHumanFeb 12, 2019 4:41 AM
Feb 12, 2019 6:10 AM
Apr 2017
AironicallyHuman said:
JudoJD said:
That PV was using original footage specifically made to have a PV to hype the audience for the anime and give an idea of the expected animation quality...

ThereArentNames said:
They failed to make the show visually interesting and tell the stories in a way that does the novel justice while simultaneously piques interest. It's a shame, really, because looking back at the trailer and the op/ed we can see that the staff has potential for so much more. It isn't terrible, but you can't help but feel that the story was written by a 13 year old and drawn by a bunch of guys who basically gave no fucks..

I have been misled by anime trailers before - most recently, Angolmois showing animation almost exclusively taken from its opening, then having basically none - but a trailer with such a high budget presentation being created with the sole intent of generatating hype through deception is a new one to me. The gap between the trailer and whatever the hell that comical 'fight' was in ep3 is staggering.

An anime doesn't necessarily need a budget, as Madhouse showed nearly 20years ago with the disturbing horror vibe of the original Boogiepop anime; which I watched after dropping... this. An artistic vision to set the mood and a coherent attempt at an interconnected mystery, imitating what I assume the novels went for, was all that was needed. But this 2019 shite has no creative passion behind it and instead seems to highlight the worst of light novel bollox: high schoolers that come across as fake (special ops attire Nagi, murder investigator Suema). They all look the same and dialogue is rushed-awful.

And the timeline jumping, without any flow or warning, when everything looks so bland and samey?... it was a fittingly terrible attempt at making a lot of alien nonsense 'deep'. Baccano this ain't. The 2000 anime made it work, despite being episodic and reliant on some prior knowledge, yet the 2019 one couldn't manage it when each episode directly connects.

For me, Boogiepop 2019 highlights how low TV anime regularly goes; unable to show animation, full of generic CG backgrounds and basic art. So many series are pumped out without money, or talent, and the end result is just a load of cheap, uninspired shite.

...oh, and Madhouse? It's been at least a decade since they were any kind of anime quality benchmark. Parasyte a few years ago had blob detail/animation at times.

I won't say I agree with your conclusion but a lot of what you said is true.
Feb 19, 2019 1:17 PM
Jul 2016
Alex82829290 said:
SparkingVolt said:

that's i wanted to say bro :D
Feb 19, 2019 1:33 PM
Jul 2016
AironicallyHuman said:
JudoJD said:

ThereArentNames said:

you're right in some points but still because they're still trying even if it doesn't seem so...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2019

104 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2019

45 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2019

32 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2019

43 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2019

42 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 2:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.