Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 21, 2019 7:36 PM

Oct 2017
longkazama said:
KatsutoSaki said:

Plus, the villains in this series are too weak seriously. While Midoriya was always supposed to be OP at the end... Even right now I just can't think of any villain that's strong enough to take on Midoriya except All For One or those Nomu. Like Midoriya even defeated Gentle at 20%, which was very stupid according to me. Anyways... there's a long way for Midoriya to reach 100%. Let's see what happens later on like you know about his rivals, etc.

Gentle who?
Excuse me, it was Deku using only 20% of the physical power of OFA and before he awakened OFA's true power. LMAO.

Btw, I love this. It's probably not going to be easy for Deku. But oh boy does he have the potential. I mean I was always skeptical if he could surpass All Might. Well, no question about it now.

I never said Midoriya used the true power of One For All against Gentle, did I? While I do get your frustration over this development, I'd recommend you to refrain from taking it out during a discussion, since it is rather meaningless.

Midoriya was supposed to surpass All Might anyway, since this is how the quirk One For All works.
Jan 21, 2019 7:43 PM
Jul 2018
KatsutoSaki said:
While I do get your frustration over this development, I'd recommend you to refrain from taking it out during a discussion, since it is rather meaningless.

Hey, I was trying to be sarcastic. Apparently, it failed big time. What I meant was that Gentle was a weak villain. That's all. Admitted, I was a bit surprised, but I was not frustrated. On the contrary, I am hyped. I am the biggest fan of this show in the entire damn thread.
Jan 21, 2019 8:19 PM

Aug 2017
KatsutoSaki said:
longkazama said:

That's probably the dumbest thing about this. It literally means no previous user actually had the true power of OFA. It's like they existed as the stepping stones for Deku. All of them worked hard their entire life only for Deku to receive the ultimate power.

Yes, no previous user really had any power of OFA, it was just a weak quirk in the beginning. All of the successors worked hard and passed it on to the next generation, it was like this from the beginning. And All Might benefited from this too. My only question/problem is why this "expansion" took place when it only came to Midoriya's turn? Why not All Might? That's the only thing I want to know. The successors were always a stepping stone...

Plus, the villains in this series are too weak seriously. While Midoriya was always supposed to be OP at the end... Even right now I just can't think of any villain that's strong enough to take on Midoriya except All For One or those Nomu. Like Midoriya even defeated Gentle at 20%, which was very stupid according to me. Anyways... there's a long way for Midoriya to reach 100%. Let's see what happens later on like you know about his rivals, etc.

Going by the explanation, the extra powers were never intended to be used. They were a thing that existed but more as a tiny remnant located at the deepest depths of the power unable to be accessed until now in a sort of mutation. Its not that Deku himself unlocked the powers but the timing itself, it has to do with the "Quirk Singularity" that's been mentioned several times, by the original wielder himself and during that time with all the children Bakugo & Todorki babysat. Something is happening with quirks, they are going stronger with every generation, like they are building up to something & it just happened to coincide with Deku's role as the holder.

Plus I think the villains are gonna do fine. With the de-quirk bullets, Nomu research, and AFO's survival they should advance themselves with good time. The fact High End is a Nomu with intelligence means they are perfecting the process of giving a person multiple quirks without driving them insane.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Jan 22, 2019 1:17 AM
Jul 2018
Slimcoder said:
Its not that Deku himself unlocked the powers but the timing itself, it has to do with the "Quirk Singularity" that's been mentioned several times, by the original wielder himself and during that time with all the children Bakugo & Todorki babysat. Something is happening with quirks, they are going stronger with every generation, like they are building up to something & it just happened to coincide with Deku's role as the holder.

Damn. I didn't remember that. Gotta go back to read the chapter.

Edit: the whole concept of quirk singularity is trippy as hell. no idea wtf it means.

Slimcoder said:

Plus I think the villains are gonna do fine. With the de-quirk bullets, Nomu research, and AFO's survival they should advance themselves with good time. The fact High End is a Nomu with intelligence means they are perfecting the process of giving a person multiple quirks without driving them insane.

Sometimes I forgot Nomus were actual human. I guess Endeavor killed a person then. What a shame.

Edit: Honestly, after re-reading a few chapters, I hope Deku is not gonna keep these quirks. He will give all six quirks to other people (Mirio?) and use only the superman power of OFA like he has always done.
removed-userJan 22, 2019 4:52 AM
Jan 22, 2019 6:11 AM
Sep 2016
This looks like the beginning of the end for the series.
A protagonist that is already overpowered gets 6 new quirks, so now it's impossible for anyone to even try to compete against him anymore.
Hard works means shit now, welcome to Naruto 2.0. SMH.
Jan 22, 2019 8:40 AM

Dec 2016
i like how it kind of links to way back in the sports festival, where 'people' were able to free midoriya from shinso's brainwashing. this has the potential to be a pretty interesting development, though i hope midoriya have to sacrifice something for all these new quirks. otherwise, man's just gon be a mary sue.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 22, 2019 9:26 PM

Dec 2014
Hmm, I've got mixed feelings about this. Granted, how these additional quirks will come into play depends on the execution, it feels very tacked on while not implausible since One for All is technically a quirk that can be passed down, so it makes sense that the quirks of the previous owners if they had any get passed down as well.

There's definitely the chance that this could get to insane levels of power escalation relegating everyone else to the side and I personally would hate for it to come to it so I'll remain hopeful and trust that Horikoshi knows what he's doing.

One of the things I love about Deku is how empathetic of a character he is, his struggles were relatable, heartfelt and personal. Watching him overcome barrier after barrier, trying his very best and staying true to his heroic ideals was so very endearing for me. Deku's humble beginnings were full of heart that made his character someone I could identify with and root for wholeheartedly. My biggest fear to come out of this chapter is not that it'll make Deku OP but that it may just destroy the connection I have with this character by turning him into some LN protagonist who gets everything handed to him or someone with seemingly instant easy solutions to the situation at hand. I know people were talking about these quirks possibly giving Deku strategic advantages and not directly giving him power but I guess my point is, where's the fun in that? If he can just use that one quirk that can solve the scenario where's the craftiness? One of the most enjoyable things about the series is how the majority of the characters have to make the most of what they have. They can only strengthen what they already have, not randomly gain new completely unrelated powers. Deku was in fact the biggest proprietor of that mindset cause he had to figure out ways to make the most of his power that he couldn't control or use to it's full extent. It's what made all his victories so satisfying and so endearing, to see him go so far as to sacrifice his own body to save people, it's that kind of heroism that gives life to this series. To give him additional quirks just feels counter intuitive towards everything that has happened so far to his character, it feels like he's cheated his way to the top because he gets to have something no one else can which is again very counter intuitive to what the show was built on - him having nothing. The opening line of BnHA is "People are not born equal", it feels like the meaning of that line in the beginning was just turned around completely.

I have my reservations about this but I'll remain hopeful, my worries might just be for naught if Horikoshi can find a creative way to make it work but as of now I still don't how. Here's to hoping for the best.
Jan 23, 2019 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
Lelouch0202 said:

One of the things I love about Deku is how empathetic of a character he is, his struggles were relatable, heartfelt and personal. Watching him overcome barrier after barrier, trying his very best and staying true to his heroic ideals was so very endearing for me. Deku's humble beginnings were full of heart that made his character someone I could identify with and root for wholeheartedly. My biggest fear to come out of this chapter is not that it'll make Deku OP but that it may just destroy the connection I have with this character by turning him into some LN protagonist who gets everything handed to him or someone with seemingly instant easy solutions to the situation at hand. I know people were talking about these quirks possibly giving Deku strategic advantages and not directly giving him power but I guess my point is, where's the fun in that? If he can just use that one quirk that can solve the scenario where's the craftiness? One of the most enjoyable things about the series is how the majority of the characters have to make the most of what they have. They can only strengthen what they already have, not randomly gain new completely unrelated powers. Deku was in fact the biggest proprietor of that mindset cause he had to figure out ways to make the most of his power that he couldn't control or use to it's full extent. It's what made all his victories so satisfying and so endearing, to see him go so far as to sacrifice his own body to save people, it's that kind of heroism that gives life to this series. To give him additional quirks just feels counter intuitive towards everything that has happened so far to his character, it feels like he's cheated his way to the top because he gets to have something no one else can which is again very counter intuitive to what the show was built on - him having nothing. The opening line of BnHA is "People are not born equal", it feels like the meaning of that line in the beginning was just turned around completely.

Best post of the whole thread, summed up the whole problem with this chapter which some fans seem to willfully ignore for whatever reason. Doesn't matter whether it's foreshadowed from chapter 1 or chapter 200, the whole idea seems forced to the ideals of the series so far.
removed-userJan 23, 2019 7:13 AM
Jan 23, 2019 7:42 AM

Jun 2016
Stevewonder07 said:
We don't even know what the other quirks can do.

Wasn't one of them a OFA boosted regeneration quirk?
Jan 23, 2019 11:32 AM

Sep 2015
This whole time I thought One for All was only given to Quirkless individuals. Since the strength of a peak human stacked seven times would clearly equal super-strength. But it makes a lot more sense that he'd be able to use the Quirks that accumulated within One for All. I'm hoping that it takes him time to be able to use each Quirk, as well as time to master it so that Izuku doesn't end up Dragon Ball Super-levels of powerful in a world with X-Men level characters.
Jan 23, 2019 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
BlossomBurst said:
This whole time I thought One for All was only given to Quirkless individuals. Since the strength of a peak human stacked seven times would clearly equal super-strength. But it makes a lot more sense that he'd be able to use the Quirks that accumulated within One for All. I'm hoping that it takes him time to be able to use each Quirk, as well as time to master it so that Izuku doesn't end up Dragon Ball Super-levels of powerful in a world with X-Men level characters.

Dragon Ball Super is a bit harsh honestly. Now that is a laughingstock of a power system and character power progression.
Jan 23, 2019 3:16 PM

Sep 2015

Dragon Ball Super is a bit harsh honestly. Now that is a laughingstock of a power system and character power progression.

True. Super got way too out of hand.
Jan 24, 2019 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
Hype for chapter 214, boys?
Jan 25, 2019 9:33 AM

Nov 2017
No doubt the Naruto 2.0 just like the above user mentioned
Jan 26, 2019 5:33 AM
Aug 2018
Devil_Food said:
Silver_06 said:
Just gonna give my two cents and say that I think this was unnecessary. OFA is an already OP quirk. He hasn't even fully mastered OFA yet (Only 20%) and he's already the strongest in his class. And now he'll be getting six other quirks, that are even stronger versions than what the previous users had? That's some major power creep. There won't be anyone in his class that can compete with him, and I see no real reason why villains won't be a cakewalk.

People are seriously spouting this garbage ignoring the fact that Deku still lost even with OfA? Its never really benefited him to make it an instant win button.

Lost to who exactly?
Jan 26, 2019 12:56 PM
Jul 2014
xShinigami3125 said:
Devil_Food said:

I love how people are just making assumptions based on nothing now as if Deku didn't already get beaten by both of them.

Yea he lost when all for one was far from being at full power, and before he got 6 extra quirks, that's a huge difference.

He passed his test with his first usage of OfA.....
Jan 26, 2019 1:53 PM
Jul 2014
Silver_06 said:
Devil_Food said:

People are seriously spouting this garbage ignoring the fact that Deku still lost even with OfA? Its never really benefited him to make it an instant win button.

Lost to who exactly?

Todoroki and Bakugou
Jan 26, 2019 1:54 PM
Jul 2014
BlossomBurst said:

They literally state early on that the previous wielders had quirks.
Jan 26, 2019 8:15 PM
Jan 2017
So endgame deku should essentially be a smarter all might with even stronger one for all, and 6 other super charged quirks.

I guess we'll be seeing bakugo cry again.
Jan 26, 2019 8:19 PM
Jan 2017
Devil_Food said:
BlossomBurst said:

Nope, all might just made an off hand comment that his mentor had a quirk around chapter 40. As far as we knew at the time she could've been the only one.
Jan 27, 2019 3:32 AM
Jul 2014
Axelthrow said:
Devil_Food said:

Nope, all might just made an off hand comment that his mentor had a quirk around chapter 40. As far as we knew at the time she could've been the only one.

The first wielder had a quirk if he didn't OfA wouldn't have came to. There was nothing to even infer that the rest of the users were also quirkless unless you can't read.
Jan 27, 2019 3:34 AM
Aug 2018
Devil_Food said:
Silver_06 said:

Lost to who exactly?

Todoroki and Bakugou

I figured this was what you'd refer to, in which case, my point still stands; Deku, as of now, is the strongest in his class, this isn't up for debate. Your examples are cases where he was still barely getting the hang of his power. Even then Bakugo struggled with just 5% of OFA, image how the fight will go now that Deku can use 20% of OFA + Black Whip, it's a no brainer who'd win.
Jan 27, 2019 4:51 AM
Jul 2014
Silver_06 said:
Devil_Food said:

Todoroki and Bakugou

I figured this was what you'd refer to, in which case, my point still stands; Deku, as of now, is the strongest in his class, this isn't up for debate. Your examples are cases where he was still barely getting the hang of his power. Even then Bakugo struggled with just 5% of OFA, image how the fight will go now that Deku can use 20% of OFA + Black Whip, it's a no brainer who'd win.

He still us barely getting teh hang of his power. He lost to Todoroki at 100%. He can't do 20% that's the limit before breaking his bones but can manage 8% fine to which he still lost against Bakugou. On top the fact he's last in the class for quirk application. You guys are just jumping the gun as usual.
Jan 27, 2019 1:11 PM
Aug 2018
Devil_Food said:
Silver_06 said:

He still us barely getting teh hang of his power. He lost to Todoroki at 100%. He can't do 20% that's the limit before breaking his bones but can manage 8% fine to which he still lost against Bakugou. On top the fact he's last in the class for quirk application. You guys are just jumping the gun as usual.

He is still getting the hang of his powers, but that's not the point here; Deku as of now is a lot stronger than he was then, so it makes no sense to use the Todoroki/Bakugo fights as examples when Deku is a lot different from then.

20% is his current limit, he can't do passed that but he can use it for a short period of time (As seen against Overhaul). That, and he doesn't always have to bring out 20% (As seen in Gentle).
Jan 27, 2019 2:46 PM
Jul 2014
Silver_06 said:
Devil_Food said:

He is still getting the hang of his powers, but that's not the point here; Deku as of now is a lot stronger than he was then, so it makes no sense to use the Todoroki/Bakugo fights as examples when Deku is a lot different from then.

Guess what? So are virtually every character in the manga.

20% is his current limit, he can't do passed that but he can use it for a short period of time (As seen against Overhaul).

And he failed meaning its not very reliable

Jan 27, 2019 3:37 PM
Aug 2018
Devil_Food said:
Silver_06 said:

20% is his current limit, he can't do passed that but he can use it for a short period of time (As seen against Overhaul).

If you think anyone in his class is going to match Deku with his current strength, I don't know what to tell you.

Not sure what that second point is for, I said he's the strongest in his class, not the whole series.

Jan 27, 2019 4:46 PM
Jul 2014
Silver_06 said:
Devil_Food said:

If you think anyone in his class is going to match Deku with his current strength, I don't know what to tell you.

Not sure what that second point is for, I said he's the strongest in his class, not the whole series.

So all you're doing is jumping the gun I see.
Jan 27, 2019 6:50 PM

Sep 2015
Devil_Food said:
Axelthrow said:

The first wielder had a quirk if he didn't OfA wouldn't have came to. There was nothing to even infer that the rest of the users were also quirkless unless you can't read.

I was mostly referring to the people after the first guy. By “quirkless,” I meant “Belen without one for all”
Jan 27, 2019 6:50 PM

Sep 2015
Devil_Food said:
Axelthrow said:

I was mostly referring to the people after the first guy. By “quirkless,” I meant “born without one for all”
Jan 27, 2019 8:56 PM
Jan 2017
Devil_Food said:
Axelthrow said:

I never said there was, you said that it was stated the previous wielders had quirks. The first wielder had a quirk that became one for all, he never had a quirk in addition to it. Work on your reading comprehension I guess.
Jan 28, 2019 2:56 AM
Aug 2018
Devil_Food said:
Silver_06 said:

So all you're doing is jumping the gun I see.

Alright, you clearly only see what you want to see. No point continuing this conversation then.
Apr 2, 2019 7:19 PM
May 2016
NovaLord said:
Slimcoder said:

Oh God this really has gotten so annoying.

I regret wasting so much time on this & just plain arguing with you. Lets end this by me disagreeing on Hori being a terrible or incompetent writer, that's it.

God let the worst of this be over because this whole controversy is fucking ridiculous & has just brought out the worst or most annoying in so many people.

I agree with you that his brought the worst out of so many people. Its disgusting to see so many people lashing out at those who dare criticize the terrible writing involved with the six quirks reveal. It speaks volumes about the community.

Just want to say late as hell but I think you should've given at least some credit to Hori. As bad as he actually is as a writer he does shine with how hard-hitting some of the emotional moments in the series are. That said you sounded like one of the few people who actually realise just how bad this development has left the potential for the rest of this series. Mad respect for not only arguing your entire points through but for making proper sense of them as well, I can tell you at least enjoyed this series enough to feel so passionate to rant about this chapter the way you did.
May 31, 2019 2:40 PM

Feb 2013
Wow, he will master more Quirks in time!
Jul 9, 2019 2:42 AM

May 2016
Deku already experienced wielding two Quirks and it's already more than a handful but six Quirks... I can't even imagine how awesome and powerful that'll be! That guy gave him the most direct advice possible so I hope that it'll be easier for him to get used to Black Whip compared to Full Cowl.

After the whole ruckus, the battle continued as if nothing's happened lmao

Jan 25, 2020 1:44 AM
Dec 2017
I know this thread is 1 year old but.. Y'all are not asking the proper questions.. Don't really care that he has 6 quirks all I care about is the future of the power creep in the series.. I think a series becomes stale when a certain character becomes stronger than every other character in the series.. I don't know why its this hard for y'all to admit this simple fact.. I want to see people actually surpass people they would normally lose to in the series through hard work and training.. Horikoshi can still save the series but the power system is terrible.. Because it doesn't give every body a chance to be great is the issue.. They're all severely below all mights cap, they are limited to a certain degree of strength.. Like at this point endeavor should have passed all might and he deserves it with all the training he puts in.

For example Uraraka, she can control gravity ok.. But what is that going to do if you get 1 shot? What if her attacks are not strong enough? Then what.. The villians in the series Overhaul fight was underwhelming because there was nothing overhaul could do to combat deku, who has these capabilities. Its just an unreasonable power system.

Don't know what horikoshi is going for but this isnt it somebody need to get him in an interview and answer these questions like damn.. Like if you make a series you have to put these facts into consideration.. Is nobody critiquing him? I go to his Twitter and he just posting action figures šŸ˜‚ we don't know whats going through his head.
Kingdrago101Jan 25, 2020 1:51 AM
Mar 29, 2020 4:37 PM

Apr 2011
Wow, Deku is OP as hell. This reminds me of Flame of Recca.

I don't like this development, but I don't dislike it either. Let's see how the story continues.

Jun 26, 2020 11:04 PM

Jan 2011
So the logic is there, One For All has been described as having its power cultivated by each user and passed along, and we know the first user was given super strength which then combined with his quirk to pass on his quirk. So it's not completely out of left field, but we know nothing about the previous users, so the extra powers still comes off as an asspull. Yeah, there's a reason to have doubt after this chapter.
Mar 26, 2022 11:51 PM

Feb 2021
I know it's kind of an op powerup and a bit cliche but I still like this concept.

I mean I would love to see how Deku manages to use 7 different quirks in a battle. I think it's only fair since the main villain AFO still has his multiple quirks.

Aug 20, 2022 10:24 PM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
He's going to get 6 others quirks which have been stockpiling in power for who knows how long.

Peak Midoriya going to be crazy.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 421 Discussion

deg - Apr 24

27 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 2, 9:40 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 374 Discussion

Kuma - Nov 25, 2022

37 by KoniginElle »»
May 2, 3:35 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 420 Discussion

deg - Apr 10

27 by Sun_Chan »»
May 2, 12:58 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 419 Discussion ( 1 2 )

thebrentinator24 - Apr 3

52 by Sun_Chan »»
May 2, 12:52 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 418 Discussion

deg - Mar 28

18 by Sun_Chan »»
May 2, 12:47 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.