Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 9, 2019 9:46 AM

Sep 2017
Pretty weird, but also kinda interesting. Definitely need to see more. Thought it was weird that MC-kun (Keiji?) would consider boogiepop a friend after what seemed to be only a handful of meetings on a rooftop. Didn't really fit with the rest of his character. Probably cut scenes feelsbadman...
Jan 9, 2019 9:47 AM

Mar 2009
Left me confused but still a great episode that made a great impression on me. The remake looks really promising, I liked the mood making music a lot. I'm hoping for this series to have at least 24 episodes.
Jan 9, 2019 1:11 PM
Jun 2015
Where is everyone watching this? I can't find it on crunchy or gogoanime or kissanime. Any help?
Jan 9, 2019 5:37 PM

Jun 2015
went into it completely blind, and im a little confused but it wasn't terrible. the opening is a banger though, i'll give it that.
Jan 9, 2019 8:02 PM

Aug 2011
Madhouse is dead, animation so bad.
Jan 9, 2019 9:51 PM

Jan 2017
Animation was sub-par after that beautiful opening animation at the start, which caught me off guard, but it seemed to improve a little as the episode continued, I think. Content of the episode had me not so engrossed nor not so bored. Opening song is 120% fantastic, god damn.

LineraxJan 9, 2019 10:28 PM
Jan 10, 2019 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
All these people criticising the animation when they mean art. Animation =/= art. Then, you check their profiles and see shit like Code Geass and Higurashi. Yeah, because spaghetti limbs and stupid faces are the pinnacle of art.

Jan 11, 2019 2:59 AM

Apr 2017
Disappointing episode. There were slight creepy vibes that I liked when the girls were talking about killers and walking home, but otherwise I can't say that there was anything else that I liked on this episode. There was attempt to critcize the society, and although the critique itself may be valid to an extent, I think that it failed to execute it well, and I couldn't but find those scenes stupid. For example, if there is obviously deranged and possibly ill/hurt person, why not call ambulance along with the police. I also think that, although not impossible to happen, police would behave differently in said situation. It was just too overdone. The talk of the students was also cheesy, and kinda edgy to be honest, as much as I don't like using the word, I don't think that there is a better one.

I also do not understand why was MC so fixated on Boogiepop when he only knew the "person" for a few days of talking on the roof. I guess his love for the girl that it was possessing did not amount to much, if he tried to stop Boogiepop from disappearing like that.
MrZawaJan 11, 2019 3:03 AM

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jan 11, 2019 9:51 AM
Apr 2011
It was a little be confusing but the ending scene looks like it will be how this anime ends by the final episode, and that would explain why he was so upset about Boogiepop leaving and that the monster is gone.
Jan 11, 2019 10:10 AM

Nov 2017
God the animation was so sloppy...

Jan 11, 2019 12:03 PM

Sep 2011
Like what many others have said, I agreed that the first episode is indeed confusing and weird positioning of animated scenes and imho it isn't the kind of start that I would prefer (mystery genre doesn't necessary has to start with much confusion to the story, plot, characters etc). But still, I will continue to episode 3 and re-evaluate my decision.
Jan 11, 2019 1:49 PM

Dec 2015
I can definitely say that I'm intrigued. But not really sure if the plot is going to be good or just confusing. For now, I trust the direction of the show
Jan 11, 2019 6:12 PM
Mar 2012
Smugface Aoi Yuuki character nice.
Weird & atmospheric mystery mood.
Madhouse = bad animation the new standard? For a mostly talking heads mystery that's ok. Just that the OP music & animation's so fantastic it comes as too stark a contrast.
The art was mostly ok tho, characters look both extremely bored & bland, except maybe brown girl, gate girl, Boogiepop & Kirima look acceptable.
So Kirima daughter of the Murder book author?
No idea who got killed & who killed the maneater. Eh suppose they'll explain in time.

Jan 12, 2019 3:07 PM
Apr 2016
OH MY GOD the main character guy looks just like Eiji from Banana Fish! Identical! The show seems good so far, enjoyable for sure, not sure what to expect though..
Jan 12, 2019 7:38 PM

Oct 2008
amaaazing atmosphere for most of it. combination of kensuke ushio's (as per usual) great music & the slow pacing, extended shots, hazy visuals, etc.
Jan 13, 2019 6:29 AM
Feb 2016
Man visually I'm pretty impressed, though the cgi use was just unnecessary (from a filler scene).
From the looks of this thread, the story will be confusing at first, Understandable.
It didn't really manage to hook me in with this episodes, but it's psychology genre it'll probably be more interesting farther on

Also, it's Madhouse. I can expect at least a decent anime plus the OP is Myth&Roid
Jan 13, 2019 9:23 AM

Jul 2008
I don't know how to feel yet, I feel like we just skipped a whole lot of plot akin to something like durarara.

Lot's of talking, really no plot except for some dismemberment images...we'll see.
Jan 13, 2019 9:26 PM

Dec 2014
I can excuse the low animation quality if the story and characters are good. But I honestly don't understand what happened. It feels like an important scene was cut from the episode or something.
Jan 18, 2019 3:59 PM

May 2013
I've been dying for more from this series for 20 years. Back in the days of Lain and Perfect Blue, the original boogiepop was part of the holy trinity of psychological mind-fuck anime that lead me down the path of anime I've taken throughout my life.

I just finished ep 2, and i definitely think after the second episode, the tone starts coming together more than in the first. You should be hooked already by then, so don't give up just yet if you don't understand.

The music is amazing, and the animation quality is quite good, I'm soooo effing hyped for the rest of this series!!
落下のように、いつも落ちる。いつか救われることができるのかな? または落ち続けるでしょうか?永遠に
Jan 22, 2019 3:30 PM
Mar 2014
I hope this won't be a boring anime. It was an ok first episode
Jan 27, 2019 9:10 PM

Oct 2016
I liked it but it definitely could use some work. The animation is a bit meh and the guy is a bit bland but it's not bad and it has interesting plot points.
Feb 1, 2019 3:12 PM

Jul 2017
Well, I'm interested. I did like the character designs, they have a realistic style that helps to ground the more over the top elements of the show. They paid attention to characterization trough accessories, corporal language and all, which I appreciate.

I still don't get much of what is happening plotwise but that was probably the intended reaction.

The mood and atmosphere where very good, I will certainly keep watching.

Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed (and might have commented it, I didn't read all the comments), but the surname of the author of the book on criminal psychology that the student with glasses was reading is the same that the infamous Nagi (the girl at the end). I might be a coincidence though.
Feb 2, 2019 12:55 PM

Jan 2019
For real? What was confusing about this? It's simple... But for me this was an absolute time waste... Uninteresting plot and characters, and u already find out what happaned with the girls and why boogiepop "left the chat", without knowing anything from this series.
Merciful lies or painful truth?
Feb 9, 2019 7:20 PM

May 2014
Weird yet interesting. Also wasn't sure if the name and outfit were a joke or not, made me laugh atleast lol.
Feb 15, 2019 11:17 PM

Apr 2015
Extremely confusing for a first timer, but I'm interested.
Mar 10, 2019 3:18 AM

Dec 2015
Surprised Echoes shows up so soon.

Decent start, keeping the point-of-view restricted to a single character outside the events. And discarding the mystery of Boogiepop as fast as possible.

4/5 I would like the 90-00s more with no smartphone in it.

Hiring the same voice for Kirima was a good idea, I didn't even recognize her from her design.

@erev Right, it's her father.

Stark700 said:
found the animation quality to be solid so far

Hard to judge when most scenes were still.

Namiszon said:
The remake looks really prromising..

This series isn't remaking anything except the novels.
Rei_IIIMar 10, 2019 3:23 AM
Mar 14, 2019 6:24 AM
Jul 2014
For a second I thought I played wrong episode. Silly way to begin the series, I would rather start it from the second episode, knowing what they did before hand.
Mar 15, 2019 9:56 PM

Feb 2013
Well that was a pretty sweet start to a show. Think I will enjoy this one.
Mar 20, 2019 2:41 AM

Mar 2012
the aesthetic of the first series was much darker than this, and i don't know if i'll like it as much. boogiepop was a series that left me a little mindfucked when i first watched it so i was hoping to get at least that uneasy feeling i had back then. totally not there though.
Mar 26, 2019 11:43 AM

Aug 2013
Man, I absolutely LOVED the atmosphere of this first episode, to the point I didn't even care that I had no idea of what was going on because it was so smooth. The OST is just dazzling.
Apr 10, 2019 11:47 PM

Mar 2019
Intriguing anime. I like the ending and opening songs for Boogiepop 2019, too. As of episode two I'm starting to wonder if the first one is the story's end. They might be playing with time too much. Oh well, I'm along for the ride.
Eris-w-Apr 11, 2019 12:17 AM
Apr 12, 2019 12:04 PM

Oct 2012
Not bad but sorely missing the amount of dark atmosphere and animation quality of the first series.
Dec 25, 2019 8:08 PM

Mar 2016
Well, I can already see why this is compared to Monogatari so much. Though it does seem to lack the style that Monogatari has, I'm hoping it gets good. I honestly found this episode to be pretty boring, there's nothing that really cuts apart the dialogue, so it was almost like 20 minutes of exposition.
wow
Jun 10, 2020 10:03 AM

May 2020
Still out of the blue but now I know who is Boogiepop. I hope it will turn to magic or Fantasy.
Jun 13, 2020 3:40 AM

Jan 2020
I'm really glad that Touka has been put front and center as of far. I got the feeling by the time I finished watching the original series that she played only a small role, and I got no impression at all for her character.
Mar 13, 2021 11:13 PM

Aug 2018
I went into this today. I have no context whatsoever about this, since i didn't read the LN nor did i watch the Original anime.

I have to admit that i was firstly put off by the late 90's-early 2000's typical gratuitous bishoujo fanservice in the OP and the lame title. But decided to give this series a try nonetheless.

This prologue episode was satifyingly odd & intriguing.
It introduced what i suppose are -the main characters and hinted at the antagonist- as well as foreshadowing the epilogue in advance?
Which is why i'm planning to watch the "process" that was alluded in the beginning, to make sense of said closure.
Apr 6, 2021 1:47 PM

Mar 2018
Decent lack of immersion and substance in the dialogue for the first episode but seeing as I really enjoy Psychological / Horror animes (ie. Lain), I'm hoping to see it improve.
Dec 13, 2022 10:10 PM
Jul 2018
Fresh out of the 2000 Boogiepop Phantom anime, looking for answers as to what in the world is going on in this series.

Hoping that this adaptation explains the world a little more clearly. As I've been told that Boogiepop Phantom was set somewhat in the middle of the book series. Namely catering to those that have already read the LN or manga?

Jumping right into the 2019 anime and already the atmosphere is vastly different. The cityscapes are vibrant and beautifully detailed. You almost don't suspect that anything sinister is happening behind the lively and bustling scenes.

My curiosity over the Boogiepop character itself remains mostly in the dark. I felt like this episode was supposed to introduce them into something definable. Yet there's so many questions left to vague interpretation. Truly living up to the Phantom aspect of the name.
Jul 3, 2023 2:13 PM
Mar 2019
This is probably the worst first episode of anything ever.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2019

104 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2019

45 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2019

32 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2019

43 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2019

42 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 2:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.