Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 30, 2018 8:22 AM

Feb 2010
Bloe said:
Shiroanon said:

none of those are considered underrated? and they're also all top shows? are you just going to keep on changing the parameters until it just literally only fits bunny girl senpai?

1. I don't like Bunny girl senpai so thanks for guessing that I do.

2. Are u kidding me? Except Slime which is not finished each show here is not even at the 100 thousand mark. They didn't even qualify in the first place.

Are u gonna rephrase it until I say "you are correct"

lmao if this is only about the handful of 100k+ shows, why is this even a thread? That's an extremely low portion of anime, not warranting generalizations at all. It's also not what you meant initially.

You can't just retroactively change the parameters whenever your biased claims get debunked by reality. You've been wrong, you've been overreacting and generalizing based on a handful of shows, just admit it and move on. This is just getting pitiful now.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 30, 2018 8:42 AM
May 2016
Bloe said:
1. I don't like Bunny girl senpai so thanks for guessing that I do.

2. Are u kidding me? Except Slime which is not finished each show here is not even at the 100 thousand mark. They didn't even qualify in the first place.

i never said you liked it, but i'm pretty sure i remember that you started this whole fiasco because of the influx of negative bunny girl senpai reviews
being wrong sucks, you should really admit it sometime though. i think i've proven my point by now, i hope you can see it eventually
Dec 30, 2018 3:41 PM

Dec 2014
Because those who rate low a popular show, usually go that extra mile to check the few reviews that agree with them, for confirmation and upvote them... If peoples who rated high those anime, upvoted favorable reviews, this problem will not exist, as there will be positive reviews with thousands and tens of thousands of ''Found Helpful''. But those peoples don't care. If I gave an anime I liked +8 I don't feel the need for confirmation, nor do I give a crap about what others think - and that is how the majority works... Confirmation is something that only peoples who go against the current need. For example when I gave Steins; Gate a 7 I think, I looked for confirmation, because most recommended it as a masterpiece or the best anime ever made, and after two years of staying in my ''must watch'' list, I ended up very disappointed. I even wrote a lengthy review myself, and then searched for other reviews with low scores - but not to shit on the anime, or do to hate, but because I wanted to check, why I didn't share the opinion of the most, and if I understood it wrong. Sadly, many in this community are immature teenagers, and just like back in the days we all hated Justin Bieber, because obviously he was good at singing, handsome, he got more pussy that we could ever dream, and we were in denial - there are anime fans, who simply trasform their distaste for mainstream, into activism.
Dec 30, 2018 7:22 PM

Jan 2018
AndoCommando said:
CSKaori said:
OP you're becoming more of an attention-seeking waste of time than those users with negative takes on shows you constantly complain about. Just stop now while you can.

Lol even my arch nemesis calling you out xD

Shut up he's right about you! Just that OP here is acting on a level even more disingenuous and toxic than you at times.
Dec 30, 2018 10:15 PM

Jan 2018
I think in general there are three types of reviewers and people who rate reviews. There's hardcore fans who won't +1 a negative review but will +1 a positive. Then you have the objective fan who can see a shows flaws. This type of user is likely to +1 a wider range of reviews. These are our average users.

The last type is the one who writes negative reviews and/or hold negative opinoins about shows. They will most likely either not +1 at all or +1 negative reviews.

Logic would say certain negative reviews would be pushed higher as a result of this dynamic. You can actually see this dynamic happen in real time with most seasonal anime.

Of course, this only applies to new anime. I am led to believe scores and reviews even out over multiple years. People leave the fandom. Ideas and people change. Bots and dummy accounts are deleted. Etc.

Tldr; Raters gon' rate, but rating is futile.
Tsunshine-ChrisDec 30, 2018 10:35 PM
Dec 30, 2018 11:20 PM

Aug 2016
If a show is highly rated and the consensus is that its good. Who are the people most likely to seek validation by doing whatever possible to bring down the score or get negative reviews to the top?

You'll notice a lot of the positive reviews are concise and to the point. While the opposite ones are usually practically novels like the reviewer just got out of community college. The people that don't like a show are much more likely to waste time creating and upvoting negative reviews than someone liking the show will do similar.

When Owari 2 came out guess what majority of the illegitimate accounts were created by? Fans making alts to give it 10's or Gintama fans making alts to give it a 1? Pretty easy to figure out.

Tbh I looked at the seasonal shows and haven't watched Bunny Girl Senpai but its pretty interesting how like 5/6 top reviews are negative despite the show being nearly top 50.
Dec 30, 2018 11:37 PM
Aug 2015
Bloe said:
I mean I get it that more popular = more people that hates the show

But if the score is good like more than 8 then there are bound to be more people that love the show than the ones that hate it, right? Even the stats say so.

So why is it that always the top review is negative?

I get that people can make alt accounts but people from both sides do that.

Is it that people who live the show don't give a shit about reviews? Or do they all just die while the show is going on (I'm serious)

I know I am making wayy to many threads about this topic but there are a bunch of questions coming to my mind on this topic. (sorry to bother)

If a show has 2 negative reviews in 4 most popular reviews, it's a pretty reliable sign that the show is shit, or at least that it has some serious major flaws.

I'd say the opposite, nowadays every shows only have 9/10 and 10/10 reviews, every show is called a masterpiece.
Reviews I like the most are the 7/10 ones because they tend to expose both flaws and qualities
Dec 31, 2018 12:13 AM

Nov 2016
I find that sometimes what people consider negative is actually a plus. for example there are some reviews that go like terrible anime, almost nothing happens, just cute girls doing silly things. then i stop reading and am like awesome i wanna see that.
even sometimes if the most negative thing someone can say about a show is pretty mild to me then it must be good. like oh character never smiles
anyways thats just me

if am to guess for majority of people they never check the reviews. those who do are also in the forums and you can see how they enjoy negativity. those who spend too much time on the internet eventually fall to the dark side
Dec 31, 2018 12:25 AM

Mar 2017
Well you gotta have someone bitch slap dem fanboys with reality
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Dec 31, 2018 1:21 AM

Apr 2016
JFuji said:

You'll notice a lot of the positive reviews are concise and to the point. While the opposite ones are usually practically novels like the reviewer just got out of community college. The people that don't like a show are much more likely to waste time creating and upvoting negative reviews than someone liking the show will do similar.

When Owari 2 came out guess what majority of the illegitimate accounts were created by? Fans making alts to give it 10's or Gintama fans making alts to give it a 1? Pretty easy to figure out.

Tbh I looked at the seasonal shows and haven't watched Bunny Girl Senpai but its pretty interesting how like 5/6 top reviews are negative despite the show being nearly top 50.

That seems like a pretty accurate assessment. It feels like they are trying to make an art of talking shit.
Dec 31, 2018 1:32 AM

Nov 2017
b'coz, their favorite seasonal anime doesnt popular?
Now Loading.....
Dec 31, 2018 1:54 AM

Oct 2013
At this point, you can't seem to get a move on these kind of reviews. If it affects you this much negatively, don't read the reviews. I don't know why are you so hung up on other people's opinion/criticisms/reviews. I know it can be unfair sometimes but trust me thats just how people do in nature. What matters in the end is that it did bring something good to you.
Dec 31, 2018 1:59 AM

Nov 2013
people have different tastes and opinions on anime therefore most of the time there will be negative and positive reviews. it's not black and white.

edit: if it bothers you, then don't read the reviews. you can disagree with someone.
Dec 31, 2018 2:03 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I personally tend to read negative reviews too simply because it allows me to view the show and think back on it from a different and often biased perspective.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 31, 2018 3:01 AM

May 2013
It does not matter as long as one enjoys the produced content. There will always be haters which either genuinely dislike it or just want to shit on it for fun.

Dec 31, 2018 3:11 AM
Jul 2018
To begin with, let's understand that most reviews on MAL are highly biased, poorly written, and often times written for the sole purpose of defending a specific point of view.
This said, there is a particular set of reviewers who take their time to evaluate, and review the show thoroughly. These people will always be critical, as they don't overlook flaws in order to tell themselves the show is actually a masterpiece, and understand when boobs/pantsu flashing is done to cover those same flaws (just an example).

This said, the reason top reviews tend to be critical, not negative, is due to the set of people who actually take the time to read reviews. This type of person doesn't want a summary of "every perfect" characteristic of the show, but a well balanced analysis of what the show does well, and poorly. That's why amongst the top reviews you tend to have a "5/10" review, or a bit lower, as that reviewer didn't ignore the flaws for the sake of keeping it "positive".
Dec 31, 2018 5:48 AM

Mar 2016
xShinigami3125 said:
Everyone that dislikes a show is more likely to vote for that one negative review among the top contenders, unlike the fans of the show which often spread out their votes among multiple different ones.
Also they aren't always negative top reviews, you just need to accept that there are lots of people with different tastes, and there also being a negative top review just reflects that.

Didn't expect to find an actually good response here... and it was the first one at that.
Dec 31, 2018 8:16 AM

Nov 2017
"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read.-"

- Anton Ego, Ratatouille

Negative reviews are generally speaking more informative and interesting to read, simply because of the fact that you get to usually see what kind of flaws a show has, which in general dictates your willingness to either watch the show more than a review pointing out all of the good stuff.

People tend to focus on 'the bad stuff' a lot more than they will look for everything that is 'good'. Directly or indirectly, a lot of positives are usually taken for granted, whilst negative criticism is something that can genuinely change the perception someone has for a show.

In general, even though I do not necessarily find myself agreeing with negative reviews a lot of the time (I often find them to be an exaggeration of negative stuff as a whole), they certainly provide more depth and nuance than another 9/10 review that simply lists the good stuff and leaves everything else out of it. A honeymoon review, as I've started to call them; People who write a review whilst they're still full of the excitement of the show, leaving them blind for many of the shows' flaws.

Don't get me wrong, there are many well-structured and well-written positive reviews that will give 9/10 scores, but generally speaking, a negative review gives you a better idea of what the anime entails, and leaves you, the reader, to fill in the blanks of "Do I want to watch this?".

"Believing you can,
means you're already halfway there"

Blog Posts | Reviews
Dec 31, 2018 8:19 AM

Oct 2014
Are they? I've seen plenty that are positive.
Dec 31, 2018 8:25 AM

May 2014
This isn't true for a lot of reviews i've seen, but for the recent season people are probably just enjoying reading negative reviews for anime they don't like.
Dec 31, 2018 9:37 AM

Jul 2013
For a thread titled "always" in all caps, your sample is weirdly small and specific.
Dec 31, 2018 2:09 PM

Jul 2013
stop with this posts you're ruining your own joke
I . A M . D E A D !  C O N T I N U E ?

INSERT COIN

Dec 31, 2018 2:19 PM

Aug 2017
Bloe said:
Nurguburu said:
How are the top reviews ALWAYS positive?

Wow, and I thought I ask dumb questions..

I AM TALKING ABOUT THE TOP SEASONAL SHOWS

There is no need to be so aggressive.

Seasonal shows have the same issues every year. So, there's no difference. I recommend you to read my answer to Love-Shonen.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 31, 2018 4:59 PM

Jun 2015
Bloe said:
I meant by the top seasonal shows.

Just look at this season..
Okay let's check a random top airing show

I don't quite see your point.
Dec 31, 2018 5:18 PM

Oct 2013
Nemo_Niemand said:
Every damn title has tons of pointless 10s reviews from fanboys and they're mostly incompetent and boring to read. It annoys when they are in top.
Negative reviews happen to be a bit more interesting and adequate

Nah it's just that it is different from the majority so you will like the negative review more.

Ot Surprisingly the top reviews for the first season of snk is all positive. :)

keragammingDec 31, 2018 5:24 PM
Dec 31, 2018 5:43 PM

May 2009
Bloe said:
I mean I get it that more popular = more people that hates the show

But if the score is good like more than 8 then there are bound to be more people that love the show than the ones that hate it, right? Even the stats say so.

So why is it that always the top review is negative?

I get that people can make alt accounts but people from both sides do that.

Is it that people who live the show don't give a shit about reviews? Or do they all just die while the show is going on (I'm serious)

I know I am making wayy to many threads about this topic but there are a bunch of questions coming to my mind on this topic. (sorry to bother)
FWIW my experience has been that this is NOT the case.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 31, 2018 6:58 PM

Apr 2016
Don't start this shit again. It's new years.
Jan 1, 2019 2:26 AM

Sep 2017
negative raised to the power of an even number is positive
Signature
Jan 1, 2019 5:27 PM
Sep 2016
AKA "There's a recent show (definitely not all I'm exaggerating) I like that someone else didn't like and a lot of people agreed with that different opinion and it makes me feel bad cause affirmation or something"
1.1.Six
Jan 1, 2019 6:00 PM

Oct 2012
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37430/Tensei_shitara_Slime_Datta_Ken/reviews

Sorted by most helpful, 7/21 of the reviews are under a 5, so how are they negative? In fact, in the top 5 most helpful, there's only one 4, the rest are 9-10s. In the top 10 most helpful, you're still at 6/10 positive, 4/10 negative.

Maybe you just like focusing on negative reviews because they trigger you. That's my guess.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 1, 2019 9:13 PM

Jul 2011
I disagree. Top reviews are NOT always negative. Take Chu-Bra! for example, all the top reviews have exemplary scores and are quite positive despite the shows overall rating is rated much lower.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

72 by MadanielFL »»
5 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

40 by Kruszer »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by AzafuseKingTora »»
8 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

52 by Lucifrost »»
9 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

49 by Ratris_Decision »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.