Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Goblin Slayer (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Nov 19, 2018 5:50 PM

May 2014
Huh.

I have some criticism on this episode. To be frank, I'm disappointed with the quality of this episode in particular.

Not that it was worse than the previous ones, but that it actually exacerbated how plain it was all along.

They probably had a low budget, I get it, but they could still shine on the direction department, and they didn't. I think some scenes were introduced at the wrong moment, they felt a bit awkward. Either that or the background music wasn't doing its job properly... Which still falls under the director's belt.

The thing that made me lose my head, though, was at the end, that long-ass drama about Orcbolg collapsing. It's plain to see that he wouldn't die. At least not this far from the end (though I do know what happens because I read the manga). I was kinda expecting something else there. That would be a valid cliff-hanger for a secondary character in that situation or for himself IF it was the last episode. But it wasn't. And sorry, director, but it won't have the effect you were planning on going for.

I'm not mad at the anime, though. It's not bad. Just disappointed.

IshikamiNov 19, 2018 5:56 PM
Nov 19, 2018 5:53 PM

Aug 2011
That was one heck of an episode. WOW!! INTENSE, GRUESOME. A few things were left out that was fun and intrested to see in the manga but all is well. The episode was quite enjoyable without them nonetheless.
haykaNov 19, 2018 6:02 PM
Nov 19, 2018 5:57 PM

Aug 2011
HisokaxMeruem said:
it litteraly makes no sense that the goblins want to rape the girls on the fly in a fight, like srsly lol

They aren't very bright they as GS always says. But still their no fools but they do what they do. They did it in episode 1 also.
Nov 19, 2018 7:35 PM

May 2017
Maybe Priestess will learn to not urinate herself during battle?
Nov 19, 2018 8:30 PM

Sep 2017
smoledman said:
Maybe Priestess will learn to not urinate herself during battle?

Maybe it's a power up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 20, 2018 12:57 AM
Jan 2018
Ishikami said:
Huh.

I have some criticism on this episode. To be frank, I'm disappointed with the quality of this episode in particular.

Not that it was worse than the previous ones, but that it actually exacerbated how plain it was all along.

They probably had a low budget, I get it, but they could still shine on the direction department, and they didn't. I think some scenes were introduced at the wrong moment, they felt a bit awkward. Either that or the background music wasn't doing its job properly... Which still falls under the director's belt.

The thing that made me lose my head, though, was at the end, that long-ass drama about Orcbolg collapsing. It's plain to see that he wouldn't die. At least not this far from the end (though I do know what happens because I read the manga). I was kinda expecting something else there. That would be a valid cliff-hanger for a secondary character in that situation or for himself IF it was the last episode. But it wasn't. And sorry, director, but it won't have the effect you were planning on going for.

I'm not mad at the anime, though. It's not bad. Just disappointed.

Are you talking about the bird scene?Because if you are then know that it was not the directors fault.CR just messed up
Nov 20, 2018 2:20 AM
Nov 2016
Pretty gory and action packed episode.

Priestess peed herself again, damn, she hasn't gotten over the trauma of what happened.

That ending bird's eye shot was annoying, 2-whole minutes of absolutely nothing.
Nov 20, 2018 2:20 AM
Nov 2016
Pretty gory and action packed episode.

Priestess peed herself again, damn, she hasn't gotten over the trauma of what happened.

That ending bird's eye shot was annoying, 2-whole minutes of absolutely nothing.
Nov 20, 2018 2:56 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I just can't, I can't believe what it has come to be. For a moment when they were first being overwhelmed by the goblins, I genuinely thought it was it, somebody ought to die, and it was the time for it to happen, the priestess, will she ever be able to move her arm again? I even thought it was it for her at the beginning, losing an arm isn't half bad compared to her being killed right on the spot. And knowing the goblins, they might have even raper her and made her a dirty plaything first.

Now that Goblin Slayer is down, I'm sure it's not it for him but still very concerning, they might have to pull his helmet off in order to look into his injuries, probably it would be a shocker, I swear I could make out a goblin speaking to Goblin Slayer in that short flashback while the camera zoomed out of a hole, probably he was held captive and/or was trained by a goblin? That would explain his speech about there being a good goblin and his wide knowledge about goblins in general, I mean, the experience could only get you so far. That ending with the canarry though, just staring at them in wonder while the phenomenal soundtrack played, just a great episode.

There was a genius hidden symbolism about choking that goblin champion, a single hair can be helpless against almost anything, but in a group, they can even take down a savage piece of walking nasty meat.

They have been a little too reliant on CG lately, the normal way of doing it isn't half bad, I mean, they are and animation have been spectacular on some occasion, but they seem to put a lot more trust in CG on some parts, and while it's not even that bad a CG, I'm a bit too worried that they might trust it all on CG and going to that territory is rarely if ever good.
Nov 20, 2018 4:00 AM

Aug 2016
Goblin guy is just too pissed to die.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 20, 2018 4:47 AM
Nov 2018
katsu044 said:
bad choice changing elf girl from defending and saving herself to being saved c'mon now

There is no change, this is what happened in LN:
She was dragged to the ground, and with a scream, she vanished under a black mountain of goblins.
For a second, one thin leg stuck out from under the mound, kicking at the air.
“Long-ears!”
Dwarf Shaman was the first to notice what was happening, and the only one able to respond. He tossed aside his sling and, with a yell, took a hand ax from his belt.
“You little beasts! By the gods, get off her!”
His judgment was beyond question; there hadn’t been time to use a spell. If Dwarf Shaman hadn’t leaped in immediately, High Elf Archer might well have been carried off to who knew what fate.
But without any ranged attacks to support the lone close combat fighter, there was nothing to hold back the goblin onslaught.
This was critical.

She also thanks him later. Elf is not a melee fighter, she doesn't even have melee weapon. If she is under a mount of goblins, she needs help.

If it is different in manga, then manga adaptation screwed it up.
Nov 20, 2018 6:57 AM

Feb 2014
Manaarii_0 said:
neonie said:

I want to touch that Elf skin.

I see you are a man of culture as well ;)

Ditto
I think deep inside we may have more in common with goblins than we'd admit
Nov 20, 2018 7:51 AM
Nov 2018
FreezePeach said:
katsu044 said:
bad choice changing elf girl from defending and saving herself to being saved c'mon now

There is no change, this is what happened in LN:
She was dragged to the ground, and with a scream, she vanished under a black mountain of goblins.
“Long-ears!”
Dwarf Shaman was the first to notice what was happening, and the only one able to respond. He tossed aside his sling and, with a yell, took a hand ax from his belt.
His judgment was beyond question; there hadn’t been time to use a spell. If Dwarf Shaman hadn’t leaped in immediately, High Elf Archer might well have been carried off to who knew what fate.
But without any ranged attacks to support the lone close combat fighter, there was nothing to hold back the goblin onslaught.
This was critical.

She also thanks him later. Elf is not a melee fighter, she doesn't even have melee weapon. If she is under a mount of goblins, she needs help.

If it is different in manga, then manga adaptation screwed it up.

It cannot be stressed enough that people need to stop referring to the manga adaptation as if it was the source material.
Nov 20, 2018 9:58 AM

May 2018
Whoa hoho ho hooooo, for the moment there I thought they're done for, that elf rape scene , they should have let the elf go berserk against them goblins , and for the 2nd time in a row the priestess pee on herself.
Nov 20, 2018 12:06 PM

May 2018
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Whoa hoho ho hooooo, for the moment there I thought they're done for, that elf rape scene , they should have let the elf go berserk against them goblins , and for the 2nd time in a row the priestess pee on herself.

she did go berserk

Nov 20, 2018 12:43 PM

May 2016
Now that's more like... Loved this episode.
Nov 20, 2018 9:26 PM
Aug 2017
The the eyes in the end could be a morse code i tried decoding it but failed miserably? Idk it could be a jap morse
Nov 20, 2018 9:32 PM
Jul 2016
GreenNet said:
papsoshea said:
What is this series? Lol, every week its something new. Is it dark? Is it comedic? Is it immature mature? Or is it harem time? What is this scene? Feels like I'm watching some Slice of Life.

Lol, well hello big titties tonal dissonance.

What was the point in this scene? Why in the bathing area? There is numerous way to chronicle her scars. Who here thinks this is PTSD? Lol, it's not if the author wanted to add a psychological aspect to the story then we would have seen a character who is a victim of rape have an introspection about their life, goals, career etc. And look where this scene takes place lol doesn't it occur to anyone that the atmosphere, the scenery and the nakey waifu's are undermining the actual tone of what its trying to tell you as the audience? Bombshell Bimbo: When I tell most people, they just say, "I'm sorry."Lol, smh, the author can't write for shit! Are these characters incapable of not just being there to talk about Goblin Slayer? Are they incapable of talking about themselves and their own issues? Seriously, remove Goblin Slayer from the series and what do you have? You have cardboard cutouts who follow Goblin Slayer because 'reasons' (uninteresting). The dialogue though lol it's so abysmal that it's hilarious, in a bad way. Especially this part,

High Elf: What is that?
Self-Insert Protoganist: You don't know what a bird is?
Annoyed Kawaii Elf: Of course I do!
CG Tin can: It's a canary.
Generic Tsundere angry Elf: I told you, I know what it is!
Walking Mary Sue: I see.

And then the transition lol Its cringe you can hear that choppy change in the background noises. What is up with this dialogue? This is something that Tommy Wiseau would come up with lol we get like 6 or 10 minutes (feels like it) of exposition, the cardboard cutouts ask questions because they hardly know anything and Goblin Slayer has all the answers, so contrived. Everything is going to plan 'conveniently' for Goblin Slayer, its like he is reading the script! Up to the point of where the goblins bust down that door. The atrocious CG continues but there is this one CG sequence! And it wasn't bad, probably the best use of it so far and then use of the matrix bullet time effect. Still, the choreography is very lacking so far within 7 episodes and action is suppose to be a big highlight of the show.

2 episodes ago, this complete novice was able to deflect fireballs and shit from the ogre who is way more OP but last episode and this episode, she struggles to hold up a shield when it's only weak-ass goblins and some arrows this time around? lol and they are so dumb, they all rely on Goblin Slayer just to do basic things, its like they need him to do the thinking for them.

And how on earth did Goblin Slayer not die after getting hit like that? Lol, this guy is internally bleeding, his bones should be crushed from impact from the club and wall, his armour is supposed to be weak, but you know, plot armour. And then just like in episode 1, all the goblins ignore the priestess when she's just standing there defenceless. So what happened to her having great character development from episode 1? She just regressed to how she was in episode 1. Goblin Champion is big enough to kill a human with one bite but proceeds to not do so when he snatches up the Priestess and then stands there doing nothing long enough that... Uh oh! Edge! Here he comes from the brink of death, Edgemaster T-600 gets a random surge of a powerup because of 'feels' and flashback! Here is this Goblin Slayer's only defining characteristic - the edgy glowing red eye! The problem here with this scene is that it's undeserved, look at it from a meta point of view - these characters have been Mary Sueing the entire time, winning every fight and encounter they run into when it was all conveniently laid out for them. On top of that, none of these characters is truly developed. Priestess gets thrown to the side and the goblins continue to ignore her because of plot armour. And since Goblin Slayer is back in action, the whole group is back in action lol despite nearly being butchered and raped (High Elf) they have enough time to have a macho LOL cutesy pie dialogue amongst all this chaos while they are still in a life or death scenario XD this scene doesn't even need dialogue, just show through the action smh the writing of this show, 100/10!

You'd think this would be the part where the characters take a step back and evaluate the situation and contemplate about leaving Goblin Slayer, that this shit is not for them - even if it doesn't happen, at least show us something about these characters as individuals but no, these characters are just going to follow Goblin Slayer because of 'reasons'. These characters, especially Priestess, cares about Goblin Slayer more than they care about their own well-being lol and wtf is this shit? Lmao, what in the blue hell is this cinematography just go straight to the black screen for credits, and the sad song boo hoo well not really because what reasons does the show give to the audience to care about Goblin Slayer or any characters here? None! And in the next episode, Deus Ex Machina!

I see you don't give up uh? Nice.

Honestly what the fuck is that guy’s problem? I see him on every single GS thread talking shit when no one even gives a fuck about his opinion yet here he is still watching GS just to shit on it. It’s sad when you don’t have anything else better to do with your life
Nov 20, 2018 9:50 PM

Apr 2015
Enjoyed this one the most so far. even if the bird scene was supposed to have credits rolling I still somewhat liked it because of the music and really makes you feel the despair the group had went through
Nov 21, 2018 7:16 AM

Aug 2014
dantex11 said:

Honestly what the fuck is that guy’s problem? I see him on every single GS thread talking shit when no one even gives a fuck about his opinion yet here he is still watching GS just to shit on it. It’s sad when you don’t have anything else better to do with your life

Week to week you just get used to him
Nov 21, 2018 7:57 AM

Apr 2018
I feel bad for those who hate this anime, they always watch GS only to make an opinion that everyone doesn't care about. and also I feel annoyed with those people who don't want to read all the comments above and immediately complaint about that eye.
Nov 21, 2018 10:35 AM

Jan 2013
I like the fact that once this show wants to be dark it actually gets as dark and disturbing, unlike other edgy shows that turn out funny instead. This is the kind of edge I want to see lol.
Nov 21, 2018 11:29 AM

May 2018
Only_Brad said:
JiangHaoyi1979 said:

she did go berserk

Yeah in the manga, that is.
Nov 21, 2018 1:27 PM

Jul 2017
i liked that whole minute of birds eye
Nov 21, 2018 2:28 PM
Jan 2018
Zerity said:
i liked that whole minute of birds eye
That was an editing mistake https://youtu.be/sVWz9O4Qg3E
Nov 21, 2018 3:19 PM

Oct 2008
oh unholy god! damn! this was godly awesome! this is too much that I teared-up!
5/5!

Nov 21, 2018 6:25 PM

Sep 2017
dantex11 said:

Haha I know right, papsoshea is one of them goofs who don't have anything to do with their life, and pretend to hate on a show yet watch it every week 😂😂
LaughingCoffinxNov 21, 2018 6:28 PM
Nov 22, 2018 2:35 AM
Nov 2018
LaughingCoffinx said:
one of them goofs who don't have anything to do with their life, and pretend to hate on a show yet watch it every week 😂😂
It certainly looks like they enjoy the show but can't admit it, "guilty pleasure" thing.
Their explanations of this weird behavior usually goes like that:
- I enjoy the train-wreck / it is unintentionally funny / I enjoy it ironically / it's so bad it is good again
- I have a rule about not dropping anime shows
- <VA name> in it, so I have to suffer through it
- I like OP/ED
- I will watch every single second of it so that you simpletons couldn't claim that my wrath is not justified
Nov 22, 2018 2:57 AM
Jul 2016
Honestly, I am kinda shocked to see this episode recieves even one good word (especially who is familiar with GS). Not only did it manage to take all the tension from one of the more important events (first big defeat for the party), it also manages to spit on half of the cast.
Priestess lost protection due to shock that GS got hit? That's questionable. Where is the scene she is trying to bring the barrier up and fights? She did not just gave up on life at that moment. Elf is helpless and weak and needs help from a mighty dwarf to shake some goblins? Where is the scene of her going wild, freeing herself and killing everyone? Since when are those characters helpless women, who require help from strong men? WTF is this shit?
The fight itslef had less energy than static drawing on paper.
What was this overdramatic near death experience at the end? Is this a soap opera? This anime did a lot of mistakes, but after this episode - it is a total trash.
Nov 22, 2018 4:35 AM
Oct 2018
Jesus the amount of blood he’s spitting, he gone be algoods ? Still abit upset that the village defence arc got presumably skipped.
Nov 22, 2018 8:41 AM
Aug 2018
NoizyFrog said:
Honestly, I am kinda shocked to see this episode recieves even one good word (especially who is familiar with GS). Not only did it manage to take all the tension from one of the more important events (first big defeat for the party), it also manages to spit on half of the cast.
Priestess lost protection due to shock that GS got hit? That's questionable. Where is the scene she is trying to bring the barrier up and fights? She did not just gave up on life at that moment. Elf is helpless and weak and needs help from a mighty dwarf to shake some goblins? Where is the scene of her going wild, freeing herself and killing everyone? Since when are those characters helpless women, who require help from strong men? WTF is this shit?
What was this overdramatic near death experience at the end? Is this a soap opera? This anime did a lot of mistakes, but after this episode - it is a total trash.

There is no need to bring the manga. The anime did a good job for people who watch only the anime. The Elf part was added in the manga and wasn't in the novel. Simple as death.

Nov 22, 2018 9:00 AM

Aug 2014
NoizyFrog said:

High Elf Archer is a Long Ranged Fighter, she's weak at close combat.

This is the fragment of the novel that @FreezePeach show us

“Long-ears!”

This was critical.

Is not something like "they are helpless woman", but they are weak under certain circunstantes. The elf does not have enough strength to face so many goblins near to her and the Priestess lost her concentration when worrying about the Slayer.

In fact, Priestess's reactions reminds me to a character a made in a tabletop game named Anime Beyond Fantasy.
Nov 22, 2018 9:14 AM

Jul 2013
Disappointed in that healer kid. Sees Goblin Slayer gpt hurt and she lost her shit. She keep this up and she'll become a liability. To be honest, girls are a liability when hunting goblins. These monsters are infamous for raping women so why still go? If they were known for sucking dick till it falls off I doubt guys would go lol I know I wouldn't. Also, the fuck was that almost two minute of nothing near the end?
Nov 22, 2018 9:33 AM

Aug 2014
PrimeX said:
Also, the fuck was that almost two minute of nothing near the end?

This again? xD, the eye's scene are the credits roll, Crunchyroll messed up,

This is the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVWz9O4Qg3E
Nov 22, 2018 10:18 AM
Nov 2018
NoizyFrog said:
Honestly, I am kinda shocked to see this episode recieves even one good word (especially who is familiar with GS). ... Priestess lost protection due to shock that GS got hit? That's questionable. Where is the scene she is trying to bring the barrier up and fights? She did not just gave up on life at that moment.
Nothing questionable about it, this is exactly how it is written in LN. It looks like you are the one not familiar with GS.
Nov 22, 2018 10:51 AM

May 2018
hayka said:
HisokaxMeruem said:
it litteraly makes no sense that the goblins want to rape the girls on the fly in a fight, like srsly lol

They aren't very bright they as GS always says. But still their no fools but they do what they do. They did it in episode 1 also.

Goblins may not be bright but they have good taste in women. They ignored priestess and directly jumped the elf, which is perfectly understandable ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Nov 22, 2018 2:00 PM
Jul 2016
FreezePeach said:
NoizyFrog said:
Honestly, I am kinda shocked to see this episode recieves even one good word (especially who is familiar with GS). ... Priestess lost protection due to shock that GS got hit? That's questionable. Where is the scene she is trying to bring the barrier up and fights? She did not just gave up on life at that moment.
Nothing questionable about it, this is exactly how it is written in LN. It looks like you are the one not familiar with GS.

Well, then the manga artist did a better job at creating compeling characters or atmosphere than the LN writer. If this episode is a true adaption of the LN, then I should revaluate Goblin Slayers as a whole, because right now I love manga and hate the anime.
Nov 22, 2018 10:00 PM
Nov 2018
NoizyFrog said:
Well, then the manga artist did a better job at creating compeling characters or atmosphere than the LN writer.
That's, like, just your opinion, NoizyFrog. LN is a book, it can explain what characters think and feel, why exactly they do stuff, where and how much it hurts. And it indeed does, see the part about High Elf Archer vs mount of goblins quote above. Comics and anime can't do anything like that. LN is just clearly superior in aspects you mentioned.

Archer obliterating bunch of goblins with a club makes no sense whatsoever. Quote: "Elves are inherently elegant, slim creatures. Their agility is immense, but they lack brute strength. She struggled to shake the goblin off her back, but it was a futile gesture in the face of the encroaching horde."

Priest losing confidence when Goblin Slayer seem to be killed makes sense. Her ignoring this minor setback and being some sort of unflappable hero would be completely against character.

Scene where she "is trying to bring the barrier up and fights" would be utterly ridiculous. Her barrier just broke because she is scared to death. Casting a new spell takes time/requires concentration and she is immediately directly attacked by goblin champion without any means to fight the monster.
Nov 23, 2018 3:07 AM

Feb 2017
well, it is make sense why goblin slayer come back to fight because of priestess screaming that loud even though he is injured so hard.

the only thing concern me is why gob champion wasting time so much and GS come back is not that fast as i expect to be as there is no time to waste after all.
it make the scene lose its tempo.

first time heard yui ogura scream in extreme level, great job, i know she is a talented VA with unique voice from a long time ago.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Nov 23, 2018 4:13 AM
Jul 2016
FreezePeach said:
NoizyFrog said:
Well, then the manga artist did a better job at creating compeling characters or atmosphere than the LN writer.
That's, like, just your opinion, NoizyFrog. LN is a book, it can explain what characters think and feel, why exactly they do stuff, where and how much it hurts. And it indeed does, see the part about High Elf Archer vs mount of goblins quote above. Comics and anime can't do anything like that. LN is just clearly superior in aspects you mentioned.

Archer obliterating bunch of goblins with a club makes no sense whatsoever. Quote: "Elves are inherently elegant, slim creatures. Their agility is immense, but they lack brute strength. She struggled to shake the goblin off her back, but it was a futile gesture in the face of the encroaching horde."

Priest losing confidence when Goblin Slayer seem to be killed makes sense. Her ignoring this minor setback and being some sort of unflappable hero would be completely against character.

Scene where she "is trying to bring the barrier up and fights" would be utterly ridiculous. Her barrier just broke because she is scared to death. Casting a new spell takes time/requires concentration and she is immediately directly attacked by goblin champion without any means to fight the monster.

It is undeniable that a book can go more into details, I never said the opposite. However, implying visual media like anime or manga cannot express necessary information is shallow. One on point facial expression can contain several lines of text.

As I only read manga, not LN, this is all the reference I have. If there are destinct differences between each iteration of Goblin Slayer, they still can be compared or viewed independantly from each other.

Neither in anime, nor in manga is mentioned that elves is a gracile species. The idea that an elf cannot kill a goblin with a club is odd, since regularl goblins themseves were not established as extraorinary durable or strong creatures in the first place. It is not far-fetched, that an agile elf can utilize a moment of commotion and free herself.
Whether she can free herself or not seems like a minor detail, however it creates a vastly different image. A seasoned silver ranked adventurer is overwhelmed by some goblins implies a weak character. Furthermore, it upvalues goblins even more, and their depiction as danger in this world is already conflicting - on the one hand nobody seems to bother with them, on the other hand they raid villages, murder rookies and can even wipe an elite adventurer squad.
When I said priestess was fighting, I did not mean it litereally. In manga, she falters as Slayer gets hit, in this moment goblins break weakened barrier and she tries to create a new one before the big one gets to her. She at least attempts to fight and fix her mistake. In anime she just gives up on life as soon as Slayer gets hit and immediately wets herself like she did on her first adventure. ZERO character development.

Anime, and especially this particular episode, creates an impression that all the characters are dependant on Slayer and will face certain doom if he vanishes. No idea, how it is in LN, but manga implies that Slayer needs companions more than they need him or at least establishes a codependency. I personaly, find the later setting more compelling.
Nov 23, 2018 6:00 AM
Nov 2018
NoizyFrog said:
It is undeniable that a book can go more into details, I never said the opposite. However, implying visual media like anime or manga cannot express necessary information is shallow. One on point facial expression can contain several lines of text.
It is not about just details, it is about ideas, feeling and thoughts. One sentence may contain more information than multiple manga pages. You may not have noticed, but main character wears helm covering face all the time, his facial expression is five very black lines framed by metal. Did they change it in manga?

As I only read manga, not LN, this is all the reference I have. If there are destinct differences between each iteration of Goblin Slayer, they still can be compared or viewed independantly from each other.
In this case, you shouldn't have started with "Honestly, I am kinda shocked to see this episode recieves even one good word (especially who is familiar with GS)" because you know pretty much nothing. They certainly can be discussed separately, but anime is based on LN, not manga. And it obviously made much more accurate adaptation then manga.

Neither in anime, nor in manga is mentioned that elves is a gracile species. The idea that an elf cannot kill a goblin with a club is odd, since regularl goblins themseves were not established as extraorinary durable or strong creatures in the first place. It is not far-fetched, that an agile elf can utilize a moment of commotion and free herself.
Because manga and anime are limited in this way compared to book. You have to add boring dialogue where characters discuss this particular limitation or make an awkward info dump. It is completely natural in book. Goblins are weak individually but they don't fight one on one, this is their main strong point. It is "not far-fetched" if you don't have enough information, it is ridiculous if you do.

Whether she can free herself or not seems like a minor detail, however it creates a vastly different image.
Manga created distorted image and anime followed the source material. Not much to discuss really.

A seasoned silver ranked adventurer is overwhelmed by some goblins implies a weak character.
Nonsense. It implies that character can be strong in ranged attack and weak in melee. As it indeed happen to be in DnD, RPGs and IRL. You are trying to make archer some strange monster who can do anything because of "strong character".

Furthermore, it upvalues goblins even more
Nonsense. You idea that strong character has nothing to fear from goblins is considered dumb in LN, manga and anime versions. This idea is pretty much why goblins destroy rookies.

she tries to create a new one before the big one gets to her. She at least attempts to fight and fix her mistake.
It wasn't a mistake of any kind, she was fighting and lost. It happens.

In anime she just gives up on life as soon as Slayer gets hit and immediately wets herself like she did on her first adventure. ZERO character development.
She ranked up only once and terrified of everything. This particular episode happened in middle of volume 2, she indeed didn't change much from the beginning. There is no reason to, she is pretty awesome as is.

Anime, and especially this particular episode, creates an impression that all the characters are dependant on Slayer and will face certain doom if he vanishes.
In this particular situation they certainly will. They are archer, shaman and two priests, weak party against bunch of goblins with champion. They may be able to fight different monsters or they can replace GS with some other melee fighter without any problems.

No idea, how it is in LN, but manga implies that Slayer needs companions more than they need him or at least establishes a codependency. I personaly, find the later setting more compelling.
He doesn't need anyone, he was killing goblins alone for five years and would keep doing so without them. His independence, persistence and flexibility in methods are very much emphasized in LN. If it is different in manga then manga just botched up the story. Or manga just sucks in conveying complex ideas and you read whatever you want in "on point facial expressions".
Nov 23, 2018 11:48 AM

Jun 2017
Best Episode so far

I dont like how the priestess is still pissing herself even after facing so many dangers in the last few months she has been with GS

The Dice and his eye made me curious, can't wait until the "secret" behind it is revealed
Nov 23, 2018 5:01 PM

Oct 2013
Woah! Just woah. The best episode till now. Many animes don't have that much intensive and awesome finales, and this was not even Goblin Slayer's final episode!

That action, plot-wise moments, artstyle, music, emotions. Everything in right places and perfectly balanced throughout the whole episode. Definitely this episode was 10/10 for me.

It was so sad and thrilling when all them adventurers fell under goblins while Goblin Slayer was laying wounded... Elf Archer was sexually harassed and ended up with most of clothes torn off by goblins. It was really terrible, but Goblin Slayer managed to stand with his famous "red eye mode" on and basically he went berserk if we look on how he was in a bad condition.
Nov 23, 2018 8:41 PM

Aug 2017
Indeed, it was a brutal episode. It seems that the Priestess didn't want to lose the Goblin Slayer.

I think that the last shot with the canary's eye was bit long lmao.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 23, 2018 9:37 PM
Jan 2018
Nurguburu said:
Indeed, it was a brutal episode. It seems that the Priestess didn't want to lose the Goblin Slayer.

I think that the last shot with the canary's eye was bit long lmao.
That was a mistake, i think made by CR. https://youtu.be/sVWz9O4Qg3E
Nov 24, 2018 1:33 AM

Apr 2015
There was a surprising improvement in the screenwriting, which was good. Nothing special, but good enough to keep up the tension which the content deserves.

evoniee said:

first time heard yui ogura scream in extreme level, great job, i know she is a talented VA with unique voice from a long time ago.

Chanyui's known as one of the lesser seiyuus in terms of acting skill... Unique voice, yes, but not much talent or range, although she has been mostly ok in GS
Nov 25, 2018 3:20 AM

Sep 2018
Overall I did not like this episode so much, the story is a bit fast, but the choreography of the fights I liked.
Nov 25, 2018 9:34 AM

Jul 2008
Yeah, I'd call that battle a draw. They got messed up.
Nov 27, 2018 4:57 PM

Apr 2018
Ooo really good actions scenes and that fan service. Goblin Slayer the God but i wonder how they will come back next time.
Nov 28, 2018 2:58 PM

May 2018
I liked the episode, but one thing that really pissed me off, as well as several other people stayed too, was that 2 minute loop of the canary eye blinking.
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

288 by Ronin_Alx »»
Apr 18, 4:49 PM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

195 by Miki42 »»
Apr 1, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2018

372 by Tartyus »»
Mar 1, 11:22 AM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

382 by azzther »»
Feb 26, 8:15 AM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2018

992 by Devonnius »»
Feb 22, 8:54 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.