Forum Settings
Forums

I picked up anime roughly fourteen months ago, and have been on the grind ever since

New
Sep 30, 2018 11:34 PM

Aug 2017
Saw another post similar to this and just thought I'd share too. Started July of 2017, and I'm at 53.6 days of anime watched. Not exactly sure what got me into anime, but one day I just sat down on the coach and started watching some of the anime on Netflix, haven't stopped since. Since then it has become a center of my life and something that I think about and watch everyday. What was your initial experience watching anime, or your first year into the medium and your thoughts on it?
The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multistage aerobic capacity test that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. The 20 meter pacer test will begin in 30 seconds. Line up at the start. The running speed starts slowly but gets faster each minute after you hear this signal bodeboop. A sing lap should be completed every time you hear this sound. ding Remember to run in a straight line and run as long as possible. The second time you fail to complete a lap before the sound, your test is over. The test will begin on the word start. On your mark. Get ready!… Start.
Sep 30, 2018 11:37 PM
Sep 2015
drcereal said:
Saw another post similar to this and just thought I'd share too. Started July of 2017, and I'm at 53.6 days of anime watched. Not exactly sure what got me into anime, but one day I just sat down on the coach and started watching some of the anime on Netflix, haven't stopped since. Since then it has become a center of my life and something that I think about and watch everyday. What was your initial experience watching anime, or your first year into the medium and your thoughts on it?
Just out of curiosity what was your first anime?
Sep 30, 2018 11:43 PM

Aug 2017
Benpai-Senpai said:
drcereal said:
Just out of curiosity what was your first anime?

I'm not exactly sure, but it was either Future Diary dubbed, Death Note, or subbed Attack on Titan (S1). After that at some point I watched Another dubbed.
The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multistage aerobic capacity test that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. The 20 meter pacer test will begin in 30 seconds. Line up at the start. The running speed starts slowly but gets faster each minute after you hear this signal bodeboop. A sing lap should be completed every time you hear this sound. ding Remember to run in a straight line and run as long as possible. The second time you fail to complete a lap before the sound, your test is over. The test will begin on the word start. On your mark. Get ready!… Start.
Sep 30, 2018 11:46 PM

Dec 2017
Awesome to hear mate. I was introduced to anime though Naruto as a kid, as many people were. Periodically, I'd just watch some classic shonen battle series here and there such as DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Rurouni Kenshin. Then I drifted away from the medium for around five or so years, and roughly two years ago I randomly decided to watch Death Note and One Punch Man since I had heard so many good things about them and they were featured on the Netflix home page. Well, they rekindled my passion for the medium, and ever since I've been regularly consuming anime.
Sep 30, 2018 11:49 PM

Jul 2014
If I remember well my first one was saint seiya when it was being aired on TV. I didn't real pay much attention to anime until someone recommended me to watch elfen lied and CN started to air kaleido star in my country, from there I started to watch different things, mostly ecchi and mindless harem or romance stuff (I was still young lul).
Sep 30, 2018 11:52 PM

Apr 2016
drcereal said:
Started July of 2017, and I'm at 53.6 days of anime watched.

It took me 3 and half years to get to almost 45 days.
Sep 30, 2018 11:55 PM

May 2011
In my childhood I watched DB, Pokemon, and Digimon, but only the latter still rouses my interest due to the narrative being more substantial than its counterpart.
Sep 30, 2018 11:58 PM

Apr 2018
you're not alone. ever since i was able to get things settled down my anime watching has gone up so much. not sure if it's a good or bad thing as it's like a drug I can't stop.
Sep 30, 2018 11:58 PM

Nov 2017
When I first started watching anime I literally couldn't stop watching every single thing but now I have reached the void therefore it becomes a lot harder to watch anime because every single thing is shittier compared to what I've seen before.
Oct 1, 2018 12:01 AM

Aug 2017
RapidShadow said:
When I first started watching anime I literally couldn't stop watching every single thing but now I have reached the void therefore it becomes a lot harder to watch anime because every single thing is shittier compared to what I've seen before.

I'm worried about reaching that state some day. But I've kinda told myself that there will practically always be another show out there that I can find enjoyable, or fun to watch. Sometimes I will just surf through the anime search and look for stuff to watch. Judging from your list it looks like there is still some big titles you can watch, but I can't tell you what you might enjoy or not enjoy.
Oct 1, 2018 12:18 AM

Nov 2013
Immovable-Object said:
drcereal said:

5 years and I’ve passed the 200 day mark, plus 90+ days of manga. I would say OP’s anime consumption is pretty normal.
Oct 1, 2018 12:27 AM

May 2009
drcereal said:
RapidShadow said:
Honestly, I'd advise against letting yourself indulge too heavily in the hobby since you risk feel burnt out about it.

My hunch is that at least part of that "everything is shittier than before" feeling is attributable to burnout. When each story (particularly adventures and dramas, and particularly 2+ cour ones) is meant to be really big and maybe even life-changing, I think you're just severely screwing up your emotional receptivity for the series by watching a whole bunch of them together, back-to-back. I mean, when something means the world to the characters but it only means wrapping up a plot thread in a TV show for you, there's some kind of disconnect going in.

Anyway, I joined MAL back in 2011 and it still says I've just logged twenty-something days of time spent watching stuff in toral. Obviously I've spent far more time than that, thinking about and talking/writing about anime-related topics, but still.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 1, 2018 12:30 AM

Jan 2017
drcereal said:

Hey, similar situation here. I was never exposed to/heard of anime really until January of 2017. So for the past 21 months, I've dove into it quite deeply. I calculated it out a while back and based on my day count stats and the total days since I first started, I spend roughly 22% of my time watching anime/reading manga.

Oct 1, 2018 12:31 AM

Aug 2017
J_LEE_C said:
drcereal said:

Hey, similar situation here. I was never exposed to/heard of anime really until January of 2017. So for the past 21 months, I've dove into it quite deeply. I calculated it out a while back and based on my day count stats and the total days since I first started, I spend roughly 22% of my time watching anime/reading manga.

Ey that's cool dude. I did a bit of calculations myself a month or two ago and I think I was at 14% of my time was into anime. But wow 22% is impressive, keep up the dedication.
Oct 1, 2018 12:33 AM

Jan 2017
Immovable-Object said:
drcereal said:

I've been watching for 1 year, 9 months and have 137+ days of anime & 16+ days of manga.

Its kind of become my obsession/addiction/major element of my life.

But I also don't recommend my lifestyle to anyone. @Sonal1988 knows what I'm talking about. lol

Oct 1, 2018 12:37 AM

Feb 2018
I started in december 2018 and hv been watching anime non-stop in my spare time
Oct 1, 2018 12:47 AM

Jan 2017
drcereal said:
J_LEE_C said:

Ey that's cool dude. I did a bit of calculations myself a month or two ago and I think I was at 14% of my time was into anime. But wow 22% is impressive, keep up the dedication.

I was wrong actually, I just re-did the calculation. Since Jan. 17th, 2017 its been 623 days. And I have 137.1 + 16.4 days (anime + manga) = 153.5.

And 153.5/623 = ~24.6%

Oct 1, 2018 1:07 AM

Dec 2016
J_LEE_C said:

But I also don't recommend my lifestyle to anyone. @Sonal1988 knows what I'm talking about. lol

HAHA hush.
Such a cute face but such a tragic backstory :(
Oct 1, 2018 1:23 AM
Jul 2018
drcereal said:

I started almost 3 Years Ago and i'm at almost 200 days of anime watched...

Fair enough
Oct 1, 2018 1:26 AM

Oct 2010
There were some anime on my local tv stations in the early 90s: Mila Superstar and Grendizer, Sailor Moon. Then I watched pokemon, dragon ball and digimon dubbed in german on rtl2. Now I watch on nyaa.si TV
Oct 1, 2018 1:28 AM
Jan 2018
I feel like being on the same boat as u. I started watching anime about 10 months ago and have completed 150 anime since then. I'm not sure of how I got into anime but I'm glad that I did. My first anime was Deathnote.
Oct 1, 2018 1:45 AM

Oct 2013
I started my anime watching in TV like the most. But Naruto fever came to me and I've been watching anime in the internet since the dawn of 2007 and that feel I've had carried me to dig deeper into this. I must say there some highs and lows but its a fascinating ride over all.
Oct 1, 2018 9:48 AM

Jan 2017
Sonal1988 said:
J_LEE_C said:

HAHA hush.
Such a cute face but such a tragic backstory :(

I'll forever be associated with this won't I?

Oct 1, 2018 9:58 AM
Aug 2017
drcereal said:
I'm literally the same time-wise. I seriously started just over a year ago and I'm at 50+ days too lol
Oct 1, 2018 10:03 AM

Aug 2012
Probably something similar? Was introduced to it by my brother around a decade ago. Besides whatever I saw on TV, this was my initial experience that I knew was a foreign medium. I kind of just consumed everything until I got to a point I didn't find series particularly interesting anymore. The first few years I was completely indulged into it, didn't participate in the community either. Unlike now, I am more active in the community & considerably less into anime.
Oct 1, 2018 10:05 AM

Oct 2015
I started to get less and less interested the longer it got. I'm nearing 5 years since I started watching and you can guess I don't watch anime as much as I used to. When I do have free time, I usually debate whether to use it to play or watch and you can already guess what interests me more.

I guess my motivation kinda went down after seeing a huge load of crap than I'm supposed to see. I was more fired up when watching the better ones consecutively.
Oct 1, 2018 10:05 AM

Sep 2013
that's a lot wow

my story is basically

I had just gotten into my friends house and got him watching high school of the dead, the first episodes, and I thought it was pretty cool
and then he needed to do something else and I rushed until the end

next day he was watching k-on and I watched roughtly 7 episodes with him and went home downloaded it all and binge watched it

after that I went on getting new animes and downloading, but at the time my internet was horrible so I couldn't really download much. that was like 2007 or 2008
it was until 2011 /2012 that I got decent internet connection that I went on a spree that was basically rush an anime every 1 or 2 nights
2013 was also a wasted year of anime
Oct 1, 2018 10:08 AM

Jan 2009
thats an addiction already like im addicted to the forums
Oct 1, 2018 10:22 AM

Jul 2017
I used to think people who watch anime are disgusting and weird because I cannot stand young girls (I think people who like anime girls below 18 are pedos)
and generally anime is a big no for me.
My impression was based on those harem and ecchi anime and the mainstream shounen anime I've seen on my classmates' computers and cellphones
One day I saw an anime called Anohana on TV and I got hooked up. I thought modern anime is all about sex appeals and stupid superpower fights but I was wrong. Since then I was curious about anime and digged deeper into this medium and realized there were countless forms of entertainment within it and it just ramified. I then began to read manga and play anime-styled games. After years of watching anime I think its pretty much a part of my daily life. It basically changed me as an individual and my views on entertainment industry and anime fans since I became of them.
Oct 1, 2018 10:29 AM

Aug 2018
One of my friends was talking about Hellsing so bloody often that at some point I just thought "Okay, what's that? Anime? Damn, I don't want to watch anime. But it seems to be very bloody and very edgy... Okay, I'll give it a try." That was in August 2017.

Watched it. Liked it. And continued not having any interest in anime for full 7 months up to March this year. I watched Code Geass then since I became somehow interested in it, liked it a lot, then watched Eva, hated it a lot and thus the exploration of the world of anime started.
Oct 1, 2018 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
you only watch anime on netflix?are you for real?
Oct 2, 2018 7:44 AM

Jul 2017
Dang, that is indeed good to hear...
Oct 2, 2018 7:57 AM

Aug 2013
Not counting the animes I watched as a kid, since it was the same as western animated media for me and didn't even bother following the stories, the first one I've seen properly was Death Note dubbed in italian.

I got hooked pretty bad, I even tried to learn the japanese OP by heart without even recognising japanese sounds, but I didn't go further than that anime.
One night I was looking for doujin to... well you can imagine, and clicked on a Doujin Work ep. misaking it for an hentai, I immediately fell in love with it.

From there I started looking around the streaming site for titles that somehow seemed interesting and watched them without a clue of what they were...

That is how I began as an anime fan. I used to watch two episodes every day of an anime and have one for every day of the week, then I started the MAL anime challenge out of curiosity and since then I just binge-watch.
Oct 2, 2018 9:06 AM

Jun 2016
The first time I watched anime and knew what it was were 11 years ago and I had even turned 20. My boyfriend has a thing for Dragon Ball (especially Z), and made me watch it. I was hooked almost instently. We spent the whole autumn bench thorugh 500 episodes (even if we all know that GT was crap), it was a period I remember foundly. After that I started to watch it a bit casually, mostly the big titles such as Fullmetal Alchemsit (both versions), Death Note, Bleach and Fate. But it wasn´t until I saw Attack on Titan I really started to search it out.

And after that it pretty much grew to my favorite medium of storytelling. I´ve consumed a lot of books/movies/series through the years and anime provided a new and fresh medium to tell stories. And I bloody love it. And it escalated fast from there. Now I have 90 days plus and still going strong.

I have also experienced the "void", but every now and than a new geat show comes out, and I still find hidden jewels in the archive. Long live the anime!
Oct 2, 2018 9:11 AM

Feb 2010
idk what you want to count as my first year. I've always been watching anime, asa kid it was kids shows on german TV like Biene Maja or Vickie, as a young teen it was stuff like Bebop, Golden Boy, Dragon Ball, City Hunter, Wolf's Rain, Ranma 1/2, Detective Conan, also on german TV. As an older teen I started to go on the internet and torrent stuff, with DB GT being my first one. At the age of 20 I had accumulated a bit over 100 titles and that's when I found MAL and my anime fandom really started. With this huge DB at my hands I just found too many interesting titles and I've just trying to keep up ever since.

I average about 4 hours of anime watching per day over the last 8 or 9 years, for what it's worth. It could be more, but I still enjoy watching western stuff, movies and standup comedy as well.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 2, 2018 9:39 AM

Nov 2017
I remember going into Dragon Ball 3 years ago (Used to watch other things before on TV but didn't know they were called Anime) thinking Kamehameha is Rasengan cause I was too stupid to Google the source of Rasengan. Welp, I started watching like I'd die next day thanks to my stupidity.
I wish that feeling of not being alive the next day comes back cause recently, I just can't watch anime if I'm not bored or have literally nothing to do (;-;)

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

So many anime, So little time!

Oct 2, 2018 10:11 AM

Jun 2015
I was introduced to anime when I was very young. I grew up watching the early seasons of Pokemon and Yugioh. A few years later I watched a few episodes of Naruto on Cartoon Network. It wasn't until Tokyo Ghoul was released that my friends told me about this show I needed to watch. Toyko Ghoul didn't really hook me into anime, but it made me interested, so I started watching Fairy Tail and I didn't even realize I was hooked until I was 100 episodes deep. I would later go on to marathon Naruto and Naruto Shippuden and I have been hooked ever since.
Oct 2, 2018 10:21 AM
Jan 2017
do you completely watch all the episodes or do you sometimes skim (i dunno if its the right word) through them using right arrow ?
Oct 2, 2018 10:23 AM

Aug 2018
I was 4 years old, I watched s1 of DB in the TV... I've been watching DB since I have memory. Then I watched shows like ruroni kenshin, saint seiya, digimon, pokemon, orphen, etc. when I was around 10. Then near 13 some shows like NGE, Bogiepop phantom, Serial experimental lain, bubble gum crisis tokyo 2040, etc. And my last downfall was at 19 years when I started to watch online... I'm going to have 27 yo this month...
Oct 2, 2018 10:26 AM

Jan 2013
Cool.
Now, do you know how those special effects were done before they even used software programs? ;)
Not just for anime but for animation in general?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 2, 2018 11:25 AM

May 2016
Offu I've got the exact same time but I've been watching for a lot longer I need to pick up the pace
Oct 2, 2018 12:40 PM

Jan 2017
Hatred said:
you only watch anime on netflix?are you for real?

Heh reminds me of when I watched anime that aired on Funimation channel only.
Oct 2, 2018 12:46 PM

Sep 2018
This dedication man... Whenever I read these threads, I feel even lazier than I usually do somehow.

Oct 2, 2018 3:03 PM

Aug 2017
Plecsius said:
do you completely watch all the episodes or do you sometimes skim (i dunno if its the right word) through them using right arrow ?
I don’t skip through episodes, might even have some extra time witg rewatches I haven’t completed

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

230 by Coaghim »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 18 minutes ago

4 by Spunkert »»
8 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

105 by YeeYeeAss »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 1 hour ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
29 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.