Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2018 5:30 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I remember reading this not long ago. Kinda glad to read another one of Tite Kubo's works and his art style is pretty much on spot as Bleach in this.

The idea of witches in this one shot also makes somewhat of an intruging premise. If it gets a serialization someday, they can progress the story from much more from this.
Aug 24, 2018 1:01 AM

Dec 2015
Soul Society West Branch eh? That was a fun reveal. Overall, this was pretty decent imo.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 24, 2018 10:43 PM

Jul 2013
this was perfection at it's best, Kubo always a step ahead of everybody, simply a genious
I . A M . D E A D !  C O N T I N U E ?

INSERT COIN

Aug 25, 2018 4:29 AM

Feb 2015
I really didn't like this at all. Unlike most people I hope Kubo never turns this into a series.
Aug 30, 2018 3:59 AM

Mar 2009
The telephone booth as a doorway is a ripoff of Harry Potter. The only difference is here a token is needed while in the Potter universe, you need to dial a number.
IF this gets turned into a series (I think he said he doesn't want to), we'll probably be seeing lots of this scene. Even if he was somehow inspired, this should not be considered a homage.

Otherwise, an interesting concept.
Aug 30, 2018 11:43 PM
Sep 2017
AshitaNoJonas said:
I really didn't like this at all. Unlike most people I hope Kubo never turns this into a series.

I agree with you there, this was a very "meh" read to me.
Sep 8, 2018 9:12 AM
Jun 2013
AshitaNoJonas said:

+1 I didn't like it either.

Though, the progression per page on this one makes me think Kubo was stalling when he was doing Bleach with all the huge panels.
Sep 8, 2018 7:36 PM

Mar 2013
Wow, so a grown ass man like Kubo is writing a stupidly perverted and disgusting character archetype such as our fellow male protagonist here being a douche because whenever he started his day every morning, all he desired is to see the panties of the girl he's trying to woo. What an absolutely marvellous characteristic there. Thanks a lot for showcasing just how much a goner you, Kubo Tite has become throughout the year now. Also, instead of becoming a manga that could possibly centered on two girls hanging about destroying evil dragons, it has to resorted to the ever ingenious girl meet boy cliche, and this boy just happened to be someone that's ordinary and yet obtained the power to see dragons by the end because that's just inevitable for this sort of thing and he's gonna be following the main girl from now on. Geez, what does that reminded you of again? Oh, Bleach because it shared a similar starting point in the story, except that Ichigo actually has dignity. I don't wanna see more from this abomination, no thank you.
Sep 11, 2018 5:54 AM

Apr 2012
@Afezeria It's silly to think that the slice of life all-female premise is not the same overused cliche as the perverted male protagonist. Pretty hypocritical POV, I think. Especially if you call your favorite Frame Girl, which literally bursts with fanservice and that same ecchi.

RobertBobertSep 11, 2018 5:57 AM
Sep 12, 2018 11:57 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
So here's my deal. I respect Kubo a hell of a lot. And though I think a story with two female protagonists is not only progressive and interesting; along with some of the bare bone plot/world elements. This is a mess.

I feel as if Kubo is still writing characters and archetypes from a decade ago. The girls don't seem to have much too attach to, wouldn't say they're unlikable and I don't like judging on a oneshot because hese characters COULD grow but there's not a single thing I like from either of them. And it could be said to death but panties guy is annoying as fuck and if this got work shopped to be made into an actual series I hope to god he's pulled entirely.

This is very premise over characters bunch of info dumping through journey to show us the ropes but it doesn't feel like anything special when the characters don't seem to enjoy their jobs or are enamored with the work. And they don't seem forced to do it either. This story is trying to do all too much at once and switch settings and explain in 60 pages that I don't even care too keep up with the jargon that's being talked about.

Kubo your art is phenomenal but fuck, this man needs someone to write for him because it ain't happening by himself.
Sep 17, 2018 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
Haven't got to read Bleach but anyway tried this one-shot quite long ago and didn't found that much potential here. The characters appeared too uninteresting and the whole setting wasn't anything cool tbh. Have to say the artstyle was quite amazing and there was lot of detail in it. I think the author tried to make long running shounen with female lead (which is rare) but ultimately felt like manga could get axed anyway sooner or later if this was made into series (especially after cool manga like Black Torch got axed). I hope the author works on a different story and learn mistakes from making this manga (just like other great mangaka did had experienced earlier like Togashi, Kouhei, Mitsuda etc)
Sep 28, 2018 8:21 AM

Jul 2012
Rather average at best, the setting is not the greatest, some Harry Potter'eqsue world. Felt a bit drawn out, other than cute characters, really wasn't feeling it.
Oct 31, 2018 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
"I like uniforms" thx for the clarification Kubo i was always wondering if you liked them or not after that final arc of bleach where the main villains all weared uniforms.

Uh didn't know there was a stand alone entry for this, but anyway has for my opinion on it i guess it is different than the majority. I think this one-shot on itself tried to cram in to much information and ideas at once so it ended up being messy but i would very much be interested in a full ledge series that expand upon it.
For example i thought it would had been interesting if Selvie turn out to genuinely had grown to like Balgo after the time he spend with him despite being dragon, but everything rapidely shifted from that. Also i would had liked it more if this was a world entirely separated from the Bleach universe wich i think was already expanded enough.. sure the Dragons are pretty much Hollows in a sense but you can still keep this elements without making a direct correlation to bleach.
But apart from that i liked the main duo (they remind me of Panty & Stocking) and the whole setting.
removed-userOct 31, 2018 6:40 PM
Nov 5, 2018 5:10 PM

Feb 2015
I have a problem with how we've seen nothing about London to differentiate it from Japan, and i have no idea how Dragons work, they killed the "friend" but let the Dark Dragon/puppy alive.

I kind of like the two girls but the Ichigo character didn't end in a good way in my opinion, i was hoping he would go to Reverse London since he now can see Dragons and work as our eyes into this world.

But without being the third main character, probably even second, because now he's half Hollow/Dragon for some reason, what about the "friend's" parents, why haven't they became half Dragons too? That was definitely tacked on.
He got too similar to Ichigo by the end where he will probably have a power that he can't control, and he's also too creepy with the panty stuff.

Would rather have him in the sidelines, appearing just once in a while.

Nice surprise with the Soul Society West Branch reveal at the end, would be nice to see this as a monthly series.

Jan 18, 2019 8:43 AM

Mar 2014
I think this was really funny and has a lot of potential, I liked the dragon designs too.

(and that Dragon Ball reference mmm...)
Feb 10, 2019 1:21 AM

Aug 2018
We need this manga
Feb 17, 2019 1:14 PM

Mar 2014
Glad this was only a one shot.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Jan 4, 2020 5:04 AM
Aug 2018
Nice Harry Potter x Bleach universe crossover
Mar 18, 2020 6:21 PM
Aug 2018
HueyLion said:
Glad this was only a one shot.

Well it wasn't, it's gonna be a real manga now. :)
Mar 18, 2020 11:55 PM

Apr 2010
So is this series meant to be a sequel to Bleach?

The end kind of drops that it takes place within the same universe, and the very last page showing the word BLEACH within the title Burn The Witch was done on purpose as well.
Mar 21, 2020 5:23 AM

Jul 2016
Raratah said:
So is this series meant to be a sequel to Bleach?

The end kind of drops that it takes place within the same universe, and the very last page showing the word BLEACH within the title Burn The Witch was done on purpose as well.

Nope, this is more like a spin-off than a actual continuous. The light novel Can't Fear Your Own World feel more like a sequel to me.
Mar 21, 2020 12:11 PM
Overthinker

Jun 2017
So I don't know what version people read before hand but I want to give this series some credit based on the recent release on the SJ app.

This one shot has some ideas which weren't fully explored (though hopefully will be in the serialization). The concept of dragon slaying witches in London is cool. But we don't know too much about the organization or even our characters. Noel isn't all that interested in fighting, but why? Seems shes hanging onto to some secrets. Nini is an actor and that's never explored. Humans can't touch dragon cause they'll corrupt them to become Dark Dragons, neat. But most of them don't believe in this mythical stuff but can still be punished for it? Also what is Reverse London? A segment of Soul Society?

Much like Hollows, Dragons can't be seen by most and some of them have personality. Also, unlike Soul Society, Wing Binders have a branch (the Pipers) to tame and make use of them. All well and good but what are dragons and witches? In Bleach they were the dead folk. Now it's just magical beings? Based on the dialogue they make dragons seem like Hollows. So this needs to be clarified.

But there's a lot of good too. The art style is a given cause it's Kubo. This series has some pretty fun dialogue as well. Very self aware humor, but the male lead is too much for me. I think the female leads have potential if used well. An attractive cool headed weeb plus her hot headed idol senior makes for a solid duo. Perhaps focusing on Western mythology for the story (and using Noel for otaku references) can make for something unique.
Mar 21, 2020 1:03 PM

May 2018
I'm feeling some kind of way about this, but Sushi-chan, FTW!!

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Mar 21, 2020 6:05 PM

Sep 2019
That's the cringiest dragon i've ever seen. And yet kubo called it highly intelligent. Not sure about this... but if it ever gets a full serialization it might not be all that good.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Mar 22, 2020 4:31 AM

Jul 2016
White_Hollow said:
Not sure about this... but if it ever gets a full serialization it might not be all that good.

WSJ already confirmed this manga will get a full serialization and will begin sometimes this year lol.
Mar 22, 2020 4:27 PM
Feb 2020
I like the one-shot because it's got a nice fun aspect to it & I like that the soul society has other branches in the world and that this time it revolves around witches and not just soul reapers.
Mar 23, 2020 11:07 PM

Dec 2014
I have faith in Kubo, his art and characters designs are the best of the Big 3. But his writing is meh. This story is going to be serialized and planned out from the beginning to the end, so I expect great things.
Mar 27, 2020 9:16 PM
May 2016
I think it has potential, but my I have a few problems:
1) The girls didn't feel like they were introduced well enough, in part because there wasn't enough time to make them impactful, I don't need them to be fully fleshed out characters, just impactful.
2) I thought the "knickers" guy was annoying and loath his existence, like is it supposed to be funny that Noel is stuck with this creep, because his one joke gets old fast, and I'd rather he not be at all significant to any future plots.
3) I didn't care for the emphasis on comedy, in part cause while it was kinda funny, I was just not expecting it, if they make more I won't mind.
4) This one's just a concern for if this series ever becomes a series, but I hope it doesn't become a fanservice focused series, as a lot of shonen series with female-centric casts tend to lean that route, with exceptions of course.
Mar 27, 2020 9:19 PM
May 2016
ricksed said:
So I don't know what version people read before hand but I want to give this series some credit based on the recent release on the SJ app.

This one shot has some ideas which weren't fully explored (though hopefully will be in the serialization). The concept of dragon slaying witches in London is cool. But we don't know too much about the organization or even our characters. Noel isn't all that interested in fighting, but why? Seems shes hanging onto to some secrets. Nini is an actor and that's never explored. Humans can't touch dragon cause they'll corrupt them to become Dark Dragons, neat. But most of them don't believe in this mythical stuff but can still be punished for it? Also what is Reverse London? A segment of Soul Society?

Much like Hollows, Dragons can't be seen by most and some of them have personality. Also, unlike Soul Society, Wing Binders have a branch (the Pipers) to tame and make use of them. All well and good but what are dragons and witches? In Bleach they were the dead folk. Now it's just magical beings? Based on the dialogue they make dragons seem like Hollows. So this needs to be clarified.

But there's a lot of good too. The art style is a given cause it's Kubo. This series has some pretty fun dialogue as well. Very self aware humor, but the male lead is too much for me. I think the female leads have potential if used well. An attractive cool headed weeb plus her hot headed idol senior makes for a solid duo. Perhaps focusing on Western mythology for the story (and using Noel for otaku references) can make for something unique.

couldn't have said it better myself, you make a lot of points that helped me understand why I just couldn't get into it. I hope it ends up being good though
Apr 2, 2020 4:36 AM

Jun 2017
This was a neat little short. I liked the setting, the two main characters and the creature designs were also incredibly cool. The only things that really rubbed me the wrong way were how god damn annoying the panties guy was and how obnoxiously short the girl's skirts were. I hope that *if* this gets serialized, those two aspects get toned down a bit.
Apr 17, 2020 2:08 AM

Oct 2017
This was a decent one shot. The concept seems promising and ofc the art was great. Virgo looks like Ichigo a lot and Noelle's a cutie. Anyway gonna keep my expectations low so that I don't get disappointed. Looking forward to the serialization.
Aug 17, 2020 4:20 PM

Aug 2015
Rarely read anything so... cringe
Aug 23, 2020 8:30 AM

Jan 2013
burn the witch? more like boil the thot!
Aug 23, 2020 9:38 AM
Apr 2014
bruh mal where's the db entry for the serialization

Aug 26, 2020 5:28 PM

Aug 2013
Well, this was a decent one-shot. I like the two main characters and their design though I can't say the same for the pants guy.

Oct 3, 2020 8:53 PM
Jul 2019
Hmmm, this has potential. The world of magic and dragons (especially dragons) is vast and who knows what kind of stuff might happen. This would be more fun if it was like How To Train Your Dragon instead of slaying them. Other than that, I don't know where it's going. Will check the manga once it has significant amount of chapters.
Mar 19, 2021 12:43 PM

Dec 2015
Rereading it as the first chapter of the "season 1" book (that should cost slightly more but include all the colour pages, zut!)
It still seems okay/mediocre with fun designs and appealing drawings.
It still feels inopportune to bind ;) this to Bleach.
It still feels as if this could very easily fall into giving up on the girls and equipping the comic-relief/guy with a bit too much abilities
The dog corpse is still as cute as ever.

Since this was initially a one-shot, I can't really complain but the whole thing around the human-disguised dragon could have been better exploited, there is room for far more interesting stuff than this "Oh, this beast seems to have intelligence and some sort of feelings." immediately followed by "Oh, this is.. dead. End."

Score: 6/10
Enjoyment: 4/5

Also, I can't stop reading Warner Bros every time the WB sigle comes.

PS: was the main character fitting the Rukia body/style type (and not the "traditionnally" airbag equipped medium/tall girl design) too much to ask for, Kubo?

AshitaNoJonas said:

Sorry about that. (I can see him doing this as his pet job, while working as illustrator on a series written by someone ese though. It would be nice.)

Was it even dislike? Or simply a total lack of interest (wich wouldn't be surprising about something from the mangaka) ?

To any moderator passing by: why is this registered as an alternative telling of the other chapters? It has been published as its own, but the following chapters / series are connected to it and it was even republished as part of it with a very few pages added.
Rei_IIIMar 19, 2021 1:05 PM
Aug 9, 2022 2:38 PM
Jun 2020
A Nice One Shot

An excellent episode, unsurpassed drawing, good anf fun story, very good characters with incredible designs and personalities.

Nota: 9.2
AlbertJoosephAug 9, 2022 2:42 PM

More topics from this board

» Burn The Witch ova announced spring 2020 confirmed

anime-prime - Jan 22, 2020

11 by anime-prime »»
Mar 18, 2020 2:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.