Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 10:07 AM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The art is amazing and I can't wait for the rest of the adaption
Everything was on point, even the Chinese voice acting sounded alright
Aug 12, 2018 8:46 AM

Sep 2015
Once I get used to chinese super-fast speaking, I love the voice acting. WWX's va in particular is great I think I need to stalk his works from now on...
Oct 20, 2018 7:39 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
This is actually more interesting than I thought it'd be. Usually I'm put off by the animation of Chinese productions, and/or how the visuals are lacking, but the 3D environments really saves the overall tone. The character designs are good looking, though not the best, and sometimes the animation is a bit odd in non-action scenes, but the detailed backgrounds kind of take your attention away from such faults.

I really like the overall atmosphere and tone of this series so far. There is humor, but definitely also a bit of horror and intensity. I honestly can't stand most Chinese accents since I'm Taiwanese, but I was able to get used to it by the end of the episode. I agree the voice acting was actually quite good.
Oct 29, 2018 11:30 AM

Jun 2013
I tend to avoid Chinese animation because of its lack of quality. I was curious about this adaptation so I decided to give it a chance and I’m glad I did since I highly enjoyed the first episode. The voice acting was good especially Wuxian’s!
maigyoOct 29, 2018 11:38 AM
Nov 4, 2018 1:03 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Very nice first episode!!
The resurrection Using your own body as a catalyst means "more than desperation"!
Hilarious the mother and son, but both character are commons and their ends transformed in zombies were the best!!!
Interesting plot, nice fights, nice characters, nice draws, nice voices and great music....
Nov 19, 2018 9:13 AM

Jan 2013
It's kind of tragic (but lucky for the MC) that Mo had summoned Wei Ying on the very day the demonic hand attacked and killed people he despised. If he postponed the ritual to a later date, there would be no longer any reason to resurrect Wei!
Nov 21, 2018 1:52 PM
Nov 2018
chi4ko said:
It's kind of tragic (but lucky for the MC) that Mo had summoned Wei Ying on the very day the demonic hand attacked and killed people he despised. If he postponed the ritual to a later date, there would be no longer any reason to resurrect Wei!

There are not that many coincidence.
Nov 21, 2018 7:34 PM
Sep 2018
melovche said:
chi4ko said:

There are not that many coincidence.

Nov 25, 2018 5:55 PM

Oct 2014
The visuals are very satisfying. So far this episode has been very predictable, but I hope that in the long run the story, characters, etc. are all good.
Dec 2, 2018 10:34 PM

Dec 2014
well heck yeah the first episode was quite epic.... don't know why people re saying its shounen Ai or something
Jan 10, 2019 11:48 PM

Feb 2015
The animation was so fluid and amazing I'm floored
Jan 30, 2019 7:56 AM

Oct 2015
What a poor introduction to the show. The first 5-10 minutes had overwhelming information about cultivators and clans and whatnot without justifying any of it and despite that it somehow was able to leave the viewer in the dark about what's what. A failure of a prologue.
Jan 30, 2019 10:37 AM

Dec 2018
Orhunaa said:
What a poor introduction to the show. The first 5-10 minutes had overwhelming information about cultivators and clans and whatnot without justifying any of it and despite that it somehow was able to leave the viewer in the dark about what's what. A failure of a prologue.

This is a dramatic series with a heavy plot and folklore (the novel is much more heavily detailed though), you’ll get confused at the first episode. So, don’t expect everything to be explained all at once with this story, it's a non-linear wuxia/xianxia that builds slowly and unwraps the mysterious events, and clan politics as it goes into the flashback (starting from episode 3), the story really isn’t simple as it requires attention and of course an effort with the character and sect names. The first two episodes are the present time that shows the actions as a result of the MC’s path that he took in the past and it’s current effect on the cultivation world, adding to that the change of behavior of the characters that were once close to the MC in the past. The story builds slowly and things will be explained as time goes, so if you want to know the justification of the events you'll need to be patient and again the story isn't simple to begin with, it's pretty big that it will have more seasons to come.
Jan 31, 2019 2:18 AM

Oct 2015
SymphonyofNight said:
Orhunaa said:

This is a dramatic series with a heavy plot and folklore (the novel is much more heavily detailed though), you’ll get confused at the first episode. So, don’t expect everything to be explained all at once with this story, it's a non-linear wuxia/xianxia that builds slowly and unwraps the mysterious events, and clan politics as it goes into the flashback (starting from episode 3), the story really isn’t simple as it requires attention and of course an effort with the character and sect names. The first two episodes are the present time that shows the actions as a result of the MC’s path that he took in the past and it’s current effect on the cultivation world, adding to that the change of behavior of the characters that were once close to the MC in the past. The story builds slowly and things will be explained as time goes, so if you want to know the justification of the events you'll need to be patient and again the story isn't simple to begin with, it's pretty big that it will have more seasons to come.

Well of course I'm not asking to understand everything from the git-go but I'd prefer if the first episode was intelligible enough to work out with. For instance shows like FMA:B and Psycho-Pass also have complex elements but it doesn't dive headfirst so abruptly. In any case I will stick around, thanks for the response.
Jan 31, 2019 5:32 AM

Dec 2018
Orhunaa said:
SymphonyofNight said:

Well of course I'm not asking to understand everything from the git-go but I'd prefer if the first episode was intelligible enough to work out with. For instance shows like FMA:B and Psycho-Pass also have complex elements but it doesn't dive headfirst so abruptly. In any case I will stick around, thanks for the response.

You're welcome.
I wouldn't compare this to Psycho-Pass, since of different genres and settings, this is a wuxia/xianxia Chinese drama at heart, they tend to start being heavy on info, and believe me at the end of this show, everything will make sense from the introduction of episode 1.
Feb 9, 2019 12:12 AM

Sep 2010
I didn't know that Chinese animators already reached this level.

I was really surprised to find this ranked #53 on MAL but after watching first episode, I'm not that surprised anymore. So far, the story looks average at best (at least compared to the best chinese novels I read) but production has high standard and MC is a troll so it's very easy to like series like this. More importantly, this can very well be people's gateway to this types of story so everything that feels typical and standard to me, will feel cool, interesting and new to others.

Well I'm too quick to judge this based on a single episode so I will see how the story develops from now.
Mar 8, 2019 10:51 PM

Oct 2017
Well this is my first Chinese anime and what can I say, it’s not off to a bad start.

The story seems interesting and the animation is quite pretty. I’ve never watched Chinese shows before so it’s a bit hard keeping up with the subtitles lol but it’s definitely enjoyable. I’m excited to see where it goes.
Mar 27, 2019 6:51 PM

Feb 2014
So, chinese anime huh? let's see how it goes.
Apr 10, 2019 5:12 PM

Dec 2016
I've already finished this donghua twice now. I see some people being unsure about the Chinese language. I actually dropped this in the early stages because of chinese, since it sounded very weird to me and I couldn't focus properly. I tired the donghua again two months ago, and it took me about 3 episodes to get comfy with Chinese. Now it sounds as normal as any anime to me. Even the subs slow down as the show goes on.
Plot of this donghua is 10/10 (and let's not even talk about the art!), don't drop it for a lousy reason. The novel is by far one of my favourite stories I've ever read.
Apr 22, 2019 7:10 AM
Apr 2019
it is the second Chinese anime I watch . It's really great. The first episode of this anime conquered me. So far, no anime with the first part has had such an effect on me.
May 3, 2019 6:50 AM

Jun 2011
ohh yess!! This was one of the more hyped Chinese anime and I gotta say, even with the immense hype it hasn't disappoint.. in fact most Chinese anime dont disappoint. Really fun episode to watch despite almost the whole episode centered in a single spot. I like the protagonist a lot, so much fun to follow and not one-dimensional like 99.99% of the characters in Japanese anime today.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 13, 2019 6:06 PM

Dec 2018
yo, i don’t usually watch boys’ love anime but i’m enjoying this a TON
hooked me immediately which is something difficult to do for me, and i honestly like it a lot better to a lot of japanese animation just based on this first episode
the 3D environments put me off at first but then they ended up looking really good and now i really enjoy them!!
definitely gonna keep watching

anyone know where i can read the wuxia novel in english??
Jul 14, 2019 7:27 AM

Aug 2010
flower-magic said:
yo, i don’t usually watch boys’ love anime but i’m enjoying this a TON
hooked me immediately which is something difficult to do for me, and i honestly like it a lot better to a lot of japanese animation just based on this first episode
the 3D environments put me off at first but then they ended up looking really good and now i really enjoy them!!
definitely gonna keep watching

anyone know where i can read the wuxia novel in english??

https://exiledrebelsscanlations.com/grandmaster-of-demonic-cultivation/ :)
Nov 21, 2019 5:31 AM

Sep 2014
I'm just watching this because of all the hype over the live action series (The Untamed) 😂

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Feb 8, 2020 8:21 PM

Dec 2011
The Chinese language isn’t unfamiliar to me but I knew I’d need a lil help, so I wrote down all the names and important descriptions. Definitely rec to anyone needing reference while they get adjusted.

The story placing zombies in a historical setting is so fresh for me. Adding spirits and possession to the mix has me over the moon, I love feeling like I'm experiencing something practically new. The animation even had my eyes sparkling! The atmosphere goddamn, and the comedic timing? I only want more.

WWX isn’t anywhere near where I expected him to be as a character and I’m so glad for the surprise. The VA knows where the perfect line is in sounding both cunning and wild.
Jul 22, 2020 2:24 AM

May 2015
can I know why is this "anime" from a Chinese studio in accepted in MAL while Castlevania (US) or Avatar (Korea) are not?
Not hating on it, I just want some clarity to make things fair.
Aug 28, 2020 12:52 PM

Apr 2020
This one caught em unexpected, down from the art style, to the sound design and even CG are amazing.
Sep 4, 2020 3:21 AM

May 2016
Idk how this is rated this high. The animation wasn’t “fluid and amazing.”

In fact, it was badly drawn. Entire scenes including backgrounds are loaded with effects.

The way characters move and certain effects look amateurish. Giving me bad photoshop vibes. The show at least based on ep 1 reminds me of those highly rendered drawings on art station and deviant art aka polish turds.

They need more loomis and anatomy studies chile....
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Nov 20, 2020 10:47 PM

Oct 2020
I've never watched something like this show before and I'm not sure how I feel. It was very confusing but based on the comments on this post its natural to be confused at first. I will continue watching this show but its still really confusing to me and so much was going on.
Dec 12, 2020 12:10 AM

Dec 2018
Chinese animation never fails to amaze me, I love the artstyle and I can't get enough of how they dress, and how they do their hair >///<
Dec 12, 2020 12:13 AM

Dec 2018
anikevin said:
can I know why is this "anime" from a Chinese studio in accepted in MAL while Castlevania (US) or Avatar (Korea) are not?
Not hating on it, I just want some clarity to make things fair.

Read this
I hope you'll find your answers
Jun 14, 2021 1:24 PM
Jul 2020
i cant believe my first ancient donghua i watch was in jap dub lmao. first episode was good. kimura ryohei as wei wuxian is so cool. the voice acting is so natural and i love it.
Sep 7, 2021 2:32 PM

Jan 2021
Ii replayed the part where lan Zhan makes his entrance a few times…that was so EPIC!!!! I LOVE THIS STORY SO MUCH, ( I’ve been absorbing it in every way I know how. So far, I’ve watched the drama, and read the book. Donghua time!!
Sep 8, 2021 3:52 AM

Jan 2013
xershey said:
Ii replayed the part where lan Zhan makes his entrance a few times…that was so EPIC!!!! I LOVE THIS STORY SO MUCH, ( I’ve been absorbing it in every way I know how. So far, I’ve watched the drama, and read the book. Donghua time!!

Listen to the audio dramas as well! There are two: the Mandarin one and the Japanese one.
Sep 8, 2021 9:18 AM

Jan 2021
chi4ko said:
xershey said:

Listen to the audio dramas as well! There are two: the Mandarin one and the Japanese one.
thanks a lot for the recommendation!! I wasn’t aware there was a audio drama. I will make sure to check it once I’m done with the donghua.
CalmTeaTimeSep 8, 2021 9:22 AM
Oct 27, 2021 4:00 AM

Sep 2020
Beautiful animation (๑♡⌓♡๑)
Dec 18, 2021 1:57 PM

Apr 2009
i finished watching this series less than a week ago,
now i'm watching through it again with a friend,
and once we're done, i might watch it a third time with another friend.
I like to comment Episodes as i Watch them.
Dec 26, 2021 8:46 AM

Mar 2012
All the names went over my head except for the Mo and Lan clan names. Story and characters seem interesting based on the first episode but looks like I'm going to have a hard time following it since I can neither read, pronounce or remember any of their first names. I was completely lost at the first part where they kept on mentioning a bunch of names together I hope it wasn't anything important.
May 17, 2022 5:21 AM
May 2022
I love this Episode,i will continue watching it!!
Jun 13, 2022 8:33 PM
Jan 2015
where is everyone watching it??
Oct 24, 2022 5:11 PM

Dec 2016
That goofy bastard XD He knows what he's doing! His acting is soo hilarious :D Everyone needs to be careful of Wei or he'll cast a curse spell.
I'm liking this so far and I'm curious to know what will happen for the next couple episodes. Great start!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Nov 14, 2022 5:24 PM
Jun 2021
love the artstyle and plot
Feb 7, 2023 9:52 PM
Feb 2023
It's very good I must say so
Sep 13, 2023 1:14 PM
Oct 2019
1. literally zero clue wtf happened in that first 4minute backflash thing

2. this looked very similar, style-wise, to A Will Eternal. so i looked it up and it's the same studio. also the same studio as season 1 of King's Avatar. not a bad duo of shows

3. the mc seems a lot like the mc in A Will Eternal as well. playing/acting like he's weak and trying to avoid danger, etc

4. this show has promise. episode 1 wasn't great, but i can see how this could get better

5. that dude at the end with the zither, when they appeared and the "gravity" effect hit, that was sick. but wasn't there a zither in the backstory? so clearly it's that person (or that instrument). i just don't know wtf happened in the backstory, so i'm kind of at a loss for what's going on now that the zither/zither person appeared. clearly mc seems...hesitant/concerned/apprehensive

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

valkiriana - Oct 10, 2018

103 by HaruYing »»
Mar 24, 2:12 PM

» I thought anime/manga from other countries was not allowed on MAL?

Kimiko-chan - Dec 14, 2020

5 by senekohan »»
Feb 19, 8:06 AM

» I'm telling you

egosumjohn - Dec 8, 2023

7 by Watch_Kuranado »»
Dec 11, 2023 1:35 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi Episode 8 Discussion

valkiriana - Aug 23, 2018

31 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 13, 2023 8:30 PM

» Places to watch eng subbed?

ManiacalNut - Aug 20, 2023

9 by Erxie »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.