Forum Settings
Forums

Why are female targeted series bad (art wise)?

New
May 23, 2018 9:04 PM

Sep 2014
Why I think they are bad (art wise):

1. Not as good animation as male counterparts. Love Live's dance sequences look much better than Idolish7's or Utapri's (which is on its 5th season)
2. The Binan Koukou Chikyuu Boueibu series is on its 4th season and still has lackluster animation and character designs
3. Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls looks much better than Idolm@ster SideM
4. Room Mates looked awful and One Room looks fine/good
5. Female targeted hentai (Souryo to Majiwaru, Omae Aite wa Oshiego, ect) has average looking/conventionally unattractive guys but more diverse and conventionally attractive girls
6. This is completely my opinion, but I think that Japan knows how to draw attractive girls very well but not so much attractive guys

Do you think female targeted series are tend to have lackluster art, especially compared to male targeted counterparts? If so, do you want that to change? Do you have any theories about why this might be? (Other than the obvious: because most of the people working in anime are male?)

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 23, 2018 9:08 PM

Mar 2015
the girl targetted series simply lack of funding for animation... they are more popular in Live Action medium... but of course there is excetion to the rule...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 23, 2018 9:10 PM

Aug 2016
I guess because producers haven't quite registered that the female market is just as big as the male market, so they throw all their money at ecchi harem stuff instead? IDK, honestly. It's weird.
May 23, 2018 9:12 PM

Oct 2016
Because anime doesn't care about their female audience at all.
May 23, 2018 9:12 PM

Jul 2016
The male audience for anime is far larger than the female audience for anime in most cases. though you do see really popular animes with large female audiences like sports anime (Free, Haikyuu!) or other random stuff like Osomatsu san.

I don't think the anime industry has really nailed exactly what girls tend to like just yet...most of these shit shoujo romcoms flop for a reason.
May 23, 2018 9:14 PM

Oct 2015
I mean, if you want attractive guys, watch some anime like Hakuouki.

It's just the male demographics are probably more profitable in Japan, considering how big shounen is.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

May 23, 2018 9:15 PM

Jul 2012
hello, a girl here.

1. Not as good animation as male counterparts. Love Live's dance sequences look much better than Idolish7's or Utapri's (which is on its 5th season)

huh? have you seen tsukipro/tsukiuta or i7's MVs? they're much better than both LL and IM@S's animation

2. The Binan Koukou Chikyuu Boueibu series is on its 4th season and still has lackluster animation and character designs

we can find lackluster animation for both girl and guy-targeted anime. it depends on the studio and budget

having seen both, i disagree. they're on par with each other.

they both look terrible.

5. Female targeted hentai (Souryo to Majiwaru, Omae Aite wa Oshiego, ect) has average looking/conventionally unattractive guys but more diverse and conventionally attractive girls
hmm, omae aite and the 25sai are decent. we have a lot more hentai out there for men whilst the women-targeted ones are really new. give it a few years. i do hope the art improves but keep in mind, the budget is TINY :c

if you want hot stuff, just read manga..

6. This is completely my opinion, but I think that Japan knows how to draw attractive girls very well but not so much attractive guys
mmmm i disagree again, i find anime guys pretty attractive. even in non-female targeted shows like battle shounen or sports anime (with higher male audience, like ippo), there are hot guys.
MayukaMay 23, 2018 9:18 PM
May 23, 2018 9:15 PM

Apr 2015
Kuma said:
the girl targetted series simply lack of funding for animation... they are more popular in Live Action medium... but of course there is excetion to the rule...

but aren't we told all the time that it isn't just the funding - or even primary the funding - that makes a show capable of great animation or art quality, but rather it's the talent on board? obviously the logical conclusion is that girls are just less talented.
observing a woman's body
May 23, 2018 9:16 PM

Dec 2015
The female targeted series I've seen look fine so I don't know what you're talking about.
May 23, 2018 9:17 PM

Jul 2012
holysauron said:
The female targeted series I've seen look fine so I don't know what you're talking about.
perhaps OP wants all female-targeted anime to have buff ass dudes like the jojo art style. that is what females want ofc. /sarcasm
May 23, 2018 9:20 PM

Mar 2015
AngryAlchemist said:
Kuma said:

but aren't we told all the time that it isn't just the funding - or even primary the funding - that makes a show capable of great animation or art quality, but rather it's the talent on board? obviously the logical conclusion is that girls are just less talented.

you can't hired a talented staff with lack of money... sure can being creative with your money management, but doesn't mean you can do shit without money...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 23, 2018 9:23 PM

Apr 2017
Female targeted series aren't as profitable as male targeted series, let's be honest, women aren't the ones buying the blu-rays and merchandise that supports the anime industry.
cunnysseur
May 23, 2018 9:28 PM

Oct 2017
But female characters tend to take the spotlight in the anime community. That waifu stuff is big right now.

_Malachite said:
Not true. I've seen a lot of female characters especially in movies. So you can't necessarily say that people hate female characters..

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 23, 2018 9:29 PM

Sep 2014
holysauron said:

Not all female targeted series of course. But a good amount, particularly the ones that have a comparable male counterpart. I'll admit I haven't done the math, but I think male targeted series tend to look better on average.
May 23, 2018 9:33 PM

Apr 2015
Kuma said:
AngryAlchemist said:

you can't hired a talented staff with lack of money...

sure you can

it happens a decent amount
observing a woman's body
May 23, 2018 9:34 PM

Oct 2016
Iriamu-Dono said:
But female characters tend to take the spotlight in the anime community. That waifu stuff is big right now.

_Malachite said:
Not true. I've seen a lot of female characters especially in movies. So you can't necessarily say that people hate female characters..

I didn't say characters, I said audience, they're completely different things... Waifus and a lot of female characters are used to please the male audience and are used as fapping material, especially for the Ecchi and Harem series. Let's not even mention waifus. There's some great female characters, that's true, but they're mostly written for male audiences.
May 23, 2018 9:37 PM

Nov 2011
Tasel said:
Female targeted series aren't as profitable as male targeted series, let's be honest, women aren't the ones buying the blu-rays and merchandise that supports the anime industry.

Last I checked Precure is still a cash cow franchise.

@sayrrin It’s definitely very well animated too. Sample.
May 23, 2018 9:39 PM
Oct 2016
sayrrin said:
Why I think they are bad (art wise):

Do you think female targeted series are tend to have lackluster art, especially compared to male targeted counterparts? If so, do you want that to change? Do you have any theories about why this might be? (Other than the obvious: because most of the people working in anime are male?)

It fucking sucks imo as a female. Hell yes, I want more quality animation for shows targeted at girls. BUT. BUTT BUTT BUTT.
I don't want large budgets to be wasted on shit premises like every harem ever (few exceptions).

So more than anything, I want more good stories that cater to females. Give us a bit more to level out the ridiculous amount of abnormally juggly boobs. (Btw, the effort japanese creators like to often put into boob jiggling bothers me to no end. That kind of time and effort could be spent on way more valuable things smh)

In particular, I wish there was more josei like Nana. I also want to throw in showa genroku rakugo shinjuu but tbh that's high ass reach; I almost feel like its asking for too much.

Also, shit man I thought idolish7 was done amazingly. I can't believe there was another anime that did it better. Gotta hand it to idolish tho for being as good as it was. Much better than utapri.

Oh and don't get me started on hentai. Does hentai for females actually exist? Sigh.

I was about to settle this fact by saying that there isn't a large enough female audience, but then I remembered when yuri on ice blew up even to the point of trending on twitter while it was airing, and WE KNOW most of those fans are female. We here. And we are deprived.
May 23, 2018 9:39 PM
Jun 2015
I think its because men usually are larger consumers of anime than girls. I don't enjoy Shoujo/Josei because in my experience the art style is not as aesthetically pleasing as your average shounen/seinen manga.I think the anime adaptations almost always are a complete upgrade from the source material art. Look at Skip Beat! manga and cringe over the horrible art compared to the madhouse adaptation.
May 23, 2018 9:41 PM

Mar 2015
AngryAlchemist said:
Kuma said:

sure you can

again, you can be creative ad efficinet about money, but you still need money... it's no surprise that lot of female targetted series really lack of funding considering main audience of anime is male, while most female prefer live action....
May 23, 2018 9:45 PM

Oct 2017
_Malachite said:
Iriamu-Dono said:

I didn't say characters, I said audience, they're completely different things... Waifus and a lot of female characters are used to please the male audience and are used as fapping material, especially for the Ecchi and Harem series. Let's not even mention waifus. There's some great female characters, that's true, but they're mostly written for male audiences.
That's not all of the audience though. Not every guy just goes around saying waifu because of fanservice. There may not be as much when it comes to it but there are series that have good spin offs like Toaru no railgun and I just heard that Sailor moon is coming back to the U.S theatres. It's true that there isn't as much series that tends to go that way but no doubt about it there are some pretty good ones.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 23, 2018 9:47 PM

Apr 2017
TripleSRank said:

Last I checked Precure is still a cash cow franchise.

Oh, yeah, the series watched by young girls and young male adults, I wonder which audience pays more.
cunnysseur
May 23, 2018 9:54 PM

Sep 2015
because lack of budget.

1 ) Anime was made for Male INCELS.
2 ) writers are retarded and don't know what women want, most of shoujo is generic.
3 ) When there's a good shoujo anime nobody will watch it because nobody knows the mangaka/directors/studio , or because it doesn't have fanservice and edgy stuff. (like princess tutu)
May 23, 2018 10:21 PM

Aug 2015
sayrrin said:

Your opinion on this is completely wrong. Many girls watch shoujo anime purely for the bishounen in it. This is especially the case for most Otome game adaptations. XD

As for idolm@ster, I've seen the first two episode of im@s side M and I think they're pretty much on par.

I'm not sure about the rest.. but comparing Love Live and UtaPri, I think it lies on the CGI they used.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
May 23, 2018 10:23 PM
Oct 2017
Tasel said:

Actually Idolish7 is the best selling anime of Winter 2018 far outselling all the other anime when it comes to Blu-rays/DVDs. Don’t get me started on the Touken Ranbu franchise and how much they have been pumping out merchandise.
May 23, 2018 10:25 PM

Sep 2014
Mayuka said:
hello, a girl here.

huh? have you seen tsukipro/tsukiuta or i7's MVs? they're much better than both LL and IM@S's animation

we can find lackluster animation for both girl and guy-targeted anime. it depends on the studio and budget

having seen both, i disagree. they're on par with each other.

they both look terrible.

hmm, omae aite and the 25sai are decent. we have a lot more hentai out there for men whilst the women-targeted ones are really new. give it a few years. i do hope the art improves but keep in mind, the budget is TINY :c

if you want hot stuff, just read manga..

mmmm i disagree again, i find anime guys pretty attractive. even in non-female targeted shows like battle shounen or sports anime (with higher male audience, like ippo), there are hot guys.

I knew I was going to get a post like this. Here it goes:

1)I have not seen TsukiUta or it's MV's but I've seen all of I7's. Thanks for showing me TsukiUta's, I'm pleasantly surprised with the camerawork and choreography. But, they use CG, which while not terrible, doesn't look as good as high quality CG or hand-drawn animation. I can't speak on TsukiUta, since i haven't seen it, but I will talk about I7. The dancing is stiff, and the camerawork and choreography aren't impactful. There is a lot of still shots used so that animators doesn't have to animate dancing. The composite work is lacking, especially when they are dancing in the desert. Their lip syncing is also noticeably off. Don't get me wrong though, the models are decent and I think (don't quote me on this) some expressions are hand drawn. Imo, the best looking I7 MV is MEMORiES MELODiES, which while it does fall into some of the pitfalls mentioned here, it achieves greater highs.

As for Idolm@ster and LL, I haven't seen either shows I'll admit, but I have seen highlights on sakugabooru and I think I have to disagree. I don't think even MEMORiES MELODiES looks as good as Snow Halation, but they are close.

2)What similarly popular male targeted series has lackluster animation? I not saying it is non-existent for male targeted shows, just less common on average.

3)I dropped SideM and have no plans to watch Idolm@ster, but if the highlights on sakugabooru are anything to go by (and maybe they're not) I disagree.

4)One Room was on model and had more animation, so once again I'll disagree.

5)Yeah I know its new. I hope it will improve.

6)I'm not saying there are not a fair amount of attractive anime guys out there, just that on average there are a lot more attractive female character designs. This is where subjectivity plays a bigger part though, since I don't find the characters in Ippo attractive, but I also have yet to see it, so I can't say for sure.
May 23, 2018 10:31 PM

Jul 2012
@sayrrin

I like CGI honestly, so I'm biased. I like anime such as Sidonia no Kishi which is entirely in CGI. I guess I'm in the minority.

I agree to disagree for i7, as I find it miles better looking than Love Live. Maybe that's because the characters have different body types so it doesn't look as stiff. LL is like... same face everything so it reminds me of robots.

>What similarly popular male targeted series has lackluster animation?
Does it have to be popular though? You can find many anime with meh animation. Popular shows with males tend to have nice visuals because there's a lot more out there compared to female-targeted. Boueibu is not loved for the visuals but plenty other reasons.

>since I don't find the characters in Ippo attractive, but I also have yet to see it, so I can't say for sure.
I find a lot of art styles interesting so I can practically pick out an anime "husbando" in any show. Ichirou Miyata from Ippo is really attractive to me, probably the most in the entire show and Alexander Volg as well. I don't think Anime has more attractive women compared to men if we look at RATIO. Overall, there are more female characters overall so yes, more hot girls than hot guys. All the endless harems out there LOL I guess I just have easy tastes for character design. I could go in a shounen anime and pick out two guys I find attractive and then two girls I find attractive. It's not too hard, especially with newer anime.
May 23, 2018 10:37 PM

Sep 2014
Meira_Eve said:
sayrrin said:

Your opinion on this is completely wrong. Many girls watch shoujo anime purely for the bishounen in it. This is especially the case for most Otome game adaptations. XD

As for idolm@ster, I've seen the first two episode of im@s side M and I think they're pretty much on par.

I'm not sure about the rest.. but comparing Love Live and UtaPri, I think it lies on the CGI they used.

I'm not saying there are no attractive guys. Just that *on average* there are a lot more attractive girls.

I'm talking about the dance scenes in Idolm@aster particulaly, since I dropped SideM and haven't seen Cinderella Girls, but have seen dance sequences for both series on sakugabooru. (maybe thats not enough tho)
May 23, 2018 10:40 PM

Apr 2017
moonst4r said:
Tasel said:

Actually Idolish7 is the best selling anime of Winter 2018 far outselling all the other anime when it comes to Blu-rays/DVDs. Don’t get me started on the Touken Ranbu franchise and how much they have been pumping out merchandise.

Uhm, can you show me where it says that Idolish7 is the best selling anime of Winter 2018? Because these statistics state otherwise.

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray and DVD Rankings for Feb 19 - 25

cunnysseur
May 23, 2018 10:46 PM
Oct 2017
Tasel said:
moonst4r said:

Uhm, can you show me where it says that Idolish7 is the best selling anime of Winter 2018? Because these statistics state otherwise.

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray and DVD Rankings for Feb 19 - 25

That’s because that’s the weekly ranking, not overall. Weekly is highly influenced by what is newly released that week.

Vol 1 Sales:
http://www.someanithing.com/8941

Average sales:
http://www.someanithing.com/8932
May 23, 2018 10:49 PM

Jan 2017
I just wanted to ask females here that do they like shoujo artstyle? For example- Ao Haru Ride type.
I mean artstyle is the main reason i dont watch shoujo romances. But in the past i thought that girls also think bout shounen artstyle that way.
But here i have seen that most girls prefer shounen anime to shoujo. So i would like to know their thoughts.

For simplicity let us take two anime -- Classroom Of The Elite and Ao Haru Ride.
So which anime would u prefer on the basis of artstyle?
May 23, 2018 11:00 PM

Apr 2017
moonst4r said:

That’s because that’s the weekly ranking, not overall. Weekly is highly influenced by what is newly released that week.

Vol 1 Sales:
http://www.someanithing.com/8941

Average sales:
http://www.someanithing.com/8932

That's impressive, I'm glad people support what they like, that's the beauty of the free market, the idol genre is very popular, but there's no denying that shoujo anime isn't as profitable as shounen anime.
cunnysseur
May 23, 2018 11:03 PM
Jul 2018
I won't answer the OP because I'm not interested in shitty otome or male-idol stuffs.
Proper shōjo adaptations globally seem to be fine, albeit only few are really great.

For example last season, Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau's art was the best thing of this anime by far.

silent_knight98 said:
I just wanted to ask females here that do they like shoujo artstyle? For example- Ao Haru Ride type.
I mean artstyle is the main reason i dont watch shoujo romances. But in the past i thought that girls also think bout shounen artstyle that way.
But here i have seen that most girls prefer shounen anime to shoujo. So i would like to know their thoughts.

For simplicity let us take two anime -- Classroom Of The Elite and Ao Haru Ride.

The answer depends only of the person.

If you ask specifically the two titles, Ao Haru Ride seems better, even more with the manga where Classroom Of The Elite is quite ugly.
And I'm not fond of modern shōjo art-style at all. But at average it's still better than shōnen or seinen modern moe-blob.
removed-userMay 23, 2018 11:24 PM
May 23, 2018 11:06 PM

Sep 2014
@Mayuka

I like good CGI. Houseki no Kuni was my AOTY, but I do prefer hand-drawn in general.

I understand and agree with you complaints about LL, although I was mostly talking about animation quality rather than character designs.

It does have to be popular because otherwise its not a fair comparison. As you said, a lot of anime have meh animation. I picked on Boeibu because it seems to be loved, yet has lackluster, I would even say below average animation. It looks like an anime straight out of the early 2000s. I can't think of a similarly popular male targeted equivalent if there is one.

Those two were the ones who were most attractive to me when I looked up the designs on MAL. I agree with what your saying here for the most part. The distinction I meant to make clearer was that for example, those charas in Ippo might be relatively attractive for their series, but I don't think they hold much of a candle to other attractive male designs. I wouldn't based on looks alone put them in the ranks of Yato or Victor, while I feel females are more evenly cute across the board, there are a lot more average looking dudes in anime. But I do see your point, and think you are lucky to have easy tastes. If I were to pick two guys and two girls from a shounen, chances are I would consider the girls more attractive than the guys, or the girls, or f I chose the best looking ones for each, chances are the girls would appear more and have more fanservice than the guys.

May 23, 2018 11:18 PM

Jul 2012
@sayrrin

>although I was mostly talking about animation quality rather than character designs.
I am not referring to just character design. When they all have the same body shape AND the animators don't bother adding some variance, then it's not great in my eyes. With Tsuki no Uta, you can see that they actually threw in some delay between the dancers in the animation so that they don't all look like they're doing the same move at the same exact time, which is why I see it so highly.

>I wouldn't based on looks alone put them in the ranks of Yato or Victor,
Fair enough, but also subjective. I know some girls who think that those two you just listed are too feminine and better choices would be someone like Jojo for example or Sousuke from Free.

May 23, 2018 11:21 PM

Sep 2014
silent_knight98 said:

For me, Classroom Of The Elite looks better. In general, I don't have much love for the shoujo style in an aesthetic sense, but it tends to have more attractive guys. I wouldn't watch Classroom Of The Elite because the guys in that style aren't attractive to me.
May 23, 2018 11:23 PM

Aug 2017
Until recently there wasn't much female targeted shows but now there are quite a few of them maybe that's why the budget seems to be lower than most male targeted shows. Because finally Japan realised female viewers have money as well, of course it will take some time for the quality to get better and with shows like Free!, Yuri! on Ice or Kuroshitsuji (with all the bishounen characters it should be obvious by now what the target audience the author is trying to appeal to) which have high quality animation there will be more of them in the future.

Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls looks much better than Idolm@ster SideM

To me the animation quality seemed on par with each other though.

@silent_knight98 I don't like either of their artstyle mainly because I tend to dislike artstyles where the eyes are too big. But I do prefer the artstyle of most Seinen animes actually. But If it's between shoujo or shounen specifically I like shounen artstyle better because I don't watch that much shoujo I dislike the romance genre and even more so if it's shoujo. But there are some exceptions like Akatsuki no Yona and Akagami no Shirayuki Hime.

May 23, 2018 11:27 PM

Jul 2012
silent_knight98 said:

i prefer ao haru ride.

however, i have to admit, classroom of the elite has a more cleaner style. more crisp. but then again, shoujo manga adaptations usually have low budget anyway.
May 23, 2018 11:28 PM
Mar 2017
AngryAlchemist said:
Kuma said:

sure you can

Do you really want to work on unfamous project and get underpaid?
Some projects work well because staffs have passion on doing it, example: One Punch Man. It works because they are working under a famous project with average budget. They want it to look good. Heck, Jojo Bizarre Adventure is one of it as well (In part 4 I guess they are lack of budget or talent or both. Part 3 has big budget).
You should know that most animator needs another job to support them selves.
May 23, 2018 11:32 PM

Apr 2015
comedylover said:

Do you really want to work on unfamous project and get underpaid?
Some projects work well because staffs have passion on doing it, example: One Punch Man. It works because they are working under a famous project with average budget. They want it to look good. Heck, Jojo Bizarre Adventure is one of it as well (In part 4 I guess they are lack of budget or talent or both. Part 3 has big budget).
You should know that most animator needs another job to support them selves.

it's honestly really weird that you're replying to me with arguments being made against things i never said, and with statements being made that i never denied. all i said was that projects on a medium or small budget have been made with talented people, not that they're common or always happen. but sure, stretch that as far as you can
observing a woman's body
May 23, 2018 11:37 PM

Sep 2014
@Mayuka

Based on what I'm seeing on google images, it seems they all have the same body type anyway, making it a chara design issue. Maybe thats wrong though, since I haven't seen the show. Regardless, animators CG or not should draw different varying bodies, so I agree that is a setback.

Right, this is subjective. I've always been curious how many girls prefer bishounen types to bara types. I know some fans of the bara/Jojo style myself. I have the impression that bishounen types are generally more liked, but I really can't say.
May 24, 2018 12:24 AM
Jul 2018
I'm not really a huge fan of overt reverse harems. Except for Ouran. Ouran is awesome.

That's the reason why I watch sports anime. Has hot guys and entertaining plot. Not necessarily romance, but I enjoy a good friendship or bromance just as much.
May 24, 2018 12:38 AM

Jan 2017
lady_freyja said:

The answer depends only of the person.

If you ask specifically the two titles, Ao Haru Ride seems better, even more with the manga where Classroom Of The Elite is quite ugly.
And I'm not fond of modern shōjo art-style at all. But at average it's still better than shōnen or seinen modern moe-blob.
So u prefer shoujo over shounen, basically older shoujos. They do look pretty different than modern ones.

sayrrin said:

For me, Classroom Of The Elite looks better. In general, I don't have much love for the shoujo style in an aesthetic sense, but it tends to have more attractive guys. I wouldn't watch Classroom Of The Elite because the guys in that style aren't attractive to me.
So basically bishounen guys in non-shoujo artstyle? Like K anime?

alias08 said:

@silent_knight98 I don't like either of their artstyle mainly because I tend to dislike artstyles where the eyes are too big. But I do prefer the artstyle of most Seinen animes actually. But If it's between shoujo or shounen specifically I like shounen artstyle better because I don't watch that much shoujo I dislike the romance genre and even more so if it's shoujo. But there are some exceptions like Akatsuki no Yona and Akagami no Shirayuki Hime.

Yeah, i also have exceptions like Maid Sama and Akagami. Special A also looks pretty decent. I have not watched it though.

Mayuka said:
i prefer ao haru ride.

however, i have to admit, classroom of the elite has a more cleaner style. more crisp. but then again, shoujo manga adaptations usually have low budget anyway.
So u dont mind shoujo artstyle. U just have problems with their low quality animation.
May 24, 2018 1:17 AM
Jul 2018
silent_knight98 said:
So u prefer shoujo over shounen, basically older shoujos. They do look pretty different than modern ones.

Yup, I love the old ones, notably because of their art. (but also the tone, like they're more tragedy-oriented at average for example)

But, the modern shōjo artstyles are still an evolution of the older ones. I don't like this evolution, I globally find those styles as poor or bland. But I can still see some elements inherited from the older ones, thus I still feel "at home", they're just mediocre in my eyes.
Right now I'm watching Sailor Moon Crystal, it kept its old artstyle, and I really like the visuals, even if it's inconsistent from a technical perspective, the style is an example of what I want. (not my favorite one, but it's definitely better than most modern shōjo style-wise)
I hope I will get a similar feeling with the upcoming adaptation of Banana Fish.

For shōnen or seinen, here too I have a preference for the older styles, but beside some gekiga-styles (gekiga = proto-seinen) like Kazuo Kamimura's or Suehiro Maruo's, very few are really of my liking.
And it's not surprising since Kamimura and Maruo artstyles have the same inspirations than older shōjo artstyles.
Nowadays you can still find this influence in seinen authors like Usumaru Furuya (for one I like) or Junji Ito (for one I don't like).
removed-userMay 24, 2018 1:45 AM
May 24, 2018 2:55 AM

Sep 2015
Tasel said:

Yuri On Ice says otherwise...and Free. Hell, look at the popularity of sports series. If you can tap into the female market (or the fujoshi market, if we're going to use that word), you can sell shiploads.

silent_knight98 said:

I'm not a big fan of the shoujo artstyle, honestly. But also, I'm not a big romance fan (which I assume is what you're talking about when you talk about shoujo) so I guess I'm not the person to ask.
May 24, 2018 3:11 AM

Feb 2018
That's because someone's taste is shit.

Ps seriously I was totally freaking out on character eyes from Your lie in April, lol. I consider it to be a female targeted show for some reason.
May 24, 2018 6:14 AM

Sep 2011
silent_knight98 said:
I mean artstyle is the main reason i dont watch shoujo romances.

Agree. I do want to watch romance-genre shoujo anime but honestly their usual art styles bother me.

When I asked my girlfriend and my other girl friend about what they think on the common shoujo art style, they both said they're fine with it.

May 24, 2018 6:38 AM

Jan 2017
Tennouji said:

When I asked my girlfriend and my other girl friend

LOL, dude u know u are making me jealous right now XD
Oh wait, that other girl is ur friend actually. My bad lmao

Ok, jokes aside, what do they think bout moe art. Like girls in Rezero, does their appearences make them cringe ?
Similar to what most guys think bout bishounen artstyle.
May 24, 2018 6:52 AM

Sep 2011
silent_knight98 said:
Tennouji said:

When I asked my girlfriend and my other girl friend

LOL, dude u know u are making me jealous right now XD
Oh wait, that other girl is ur friend actually. My bad lmao

Ok, jokes aside, what do they think bout moe art. Like girls in Rezero, does their appearences make them cringe ?
Similar to what most guys think bout bishounen artstyle.

Sorry to make you get confused about my girl friend part LOL.

Anyway, actually they aren't very picky on specific art styles unless it's actually ugly. They're fine with moe too such as girl on Re:Zero base on your example. I guess us men are more picky about art styles than women.

May 24, 2018 7:04 AM

Jul 2012
silent_knight98 said:
Mayuka said:
i prefer ao haru ride.

So u dont mind shoujo artstyle. U just have problems with their low quality animation.
i mean, it's not a huge issue? i overlook poor visuals for other things such as seiyuu cast, music, story, characters, flow, etc.
i watch a variety of older anime as well so i'm used to low production
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 27 minutes ago

5 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

230 by Coaghim »»
14 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

105 by YeeYeeAss »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 1 hour ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
37 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.