Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 3, 2018 9:39 PM

Aug 2016
Pretty much everything on my list, but the ones that come to mind are Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia. I purposely avoided watching AoT for like 2 years because I was sick of everyone talking about it. So when they hype for that died down a bit I watched all of season 1 and didn't see what the big deal was. I think it's fine, but it's certainly not the second coming of Christ like everyone was making it out to be. As for MHA, I watched season 1 about 6 months ago and thought it was just a generic shonen. Then I watched season 2 a couple of months later and I'm currently keeping up with season 3. I still think it's a kinda generic shonen, but it's doing generic shonen things in a way that's keeping me interested.
May 3, 2018 9:41 PM

Jul 2017
Pretty much all the popular shows that I watched or yet to watch.

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
May 3, 2018 10:48 PM
Oct 2017
Stripes said:
Either way. I'm watching AnoHana right now, just about finished, and people told me that this series was def gonna make me cry, and I'm not even hard pressed on my emotions. I remember this series being super praised when it came out. Now it may be because I'm an adult and my "teen drama" well is dry but I'm just not feeling it. I think I teared up once in episode one and now I keep thinking I'm a heartless monster for not emphasizing; sad thing is, I'm sure 16 year old me would've probably bawled her eyes out. So maybe I'm just too late. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nah I wouldn't say it's about age. My literally 16 year old self didn't like it's drama and didn't tear up.

Being late on the hype train shouldn't particularly matter actually. If you didn't like it now but would've liked it when you were immature and easy to please or when there were people around you constantly screaming "this show is greeaatt", that would've just meant that the show actually isn't great or likeable.
May 3, 2018 11:30 PM
Sep 2011
With regards the first definition (missed the hype-train), Kill La Kill hit the scene during a time when I was on a bit of a hiatus from watching anime. Didn't get around to seeing until last year. Love it, and it definitely lived up to the hype.

WRT to the second definition ("getting too old for this shit"), I will say that if Akame Ga Kill came out when I was a teenager I would have loved it for being a hardcore action series fearless in not sparing its characters. When I saw it a few years back the flaws in plot and character writing made it narmy and impossible to take seriously.
May 4, 2018 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
For me it would have to be Detective Conan. I mean as a kid, it looked very mysterious and and very serious to me with a dark story but a couple of days ago, I watched a few episodes and I felt nothing of that sort.
May 4, 2018 12:17 AM

Jun 2016
Didn't watch Steins;Gate until this year.
"Make sure to remember, every person and place has a right to exist. It's true for you too, the entire world, as a whole, is your home." - Ginko
May 4, 2018 12:30 AM

Oct 2017
Can I say that I was late to pretty much all popular shows that I have watched? Considering I came in very recently in the grand scheme of this site, I haven't experienced any hype train except for maybe Violet Evergarden. Even for that, I didn't notice its presence much until the last couple of months before its release. Don't think it's a bad thing though and I think I'll enjoy anime as much with or without a hype train.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
May 4, 2018 3:27 AM

Sep 2011
Let's see. One is definitely Attack On Titan but at the same time it feels like it's a good thing that I started watching it late because I've heard people were spouting spoilers too much while it's airing and I didn't mean only here on MAL.

Another is probably Angel Beats.

May 4, 2018 3:33 AM
Mar 2016
Swagernator said:
I know exactly what you mean, i was banned around that time and the whole shitstorm from pingu completely missed me, damn.
banned?what did you do to deserved that?
May 4, 2018 3:52 AM
Mar 2017
I'm late on Rakugo.
Probably will late on this season anime as well 😂😂😂
May 4, 2018 3:58 AM

Mar 2018
I haven't watched SAO yet.
So whenever I watch it, I will be considered late to the party.
Although I am watching the alternative this season since it doesn't require you to watch the original series.
May 4, 2018 4:02 AM

Mar 2018
TheMightyMushi said:
Didn't watch Steins;Gate until this year.

You can still be along for the hype of 0
May 4, 2018 4:11 AM

Feb 2015
Most of what I've watched was after everyone had already moved on from it since I rarely keep up with current releases, and prefer to watch once it's finished airing, or watching stuff that came out before I got into anime.
May 4, 2018 4:21 AM

Nov 2016
Pretty much every anime before 2016,except for most mainstream titles.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 4, 2018 4:40 AM

May 2016
Swagernator said:
I know exactly what you mean, i was banned around that time and the whole shitstorm from pingu completely missed me, damn.

ooh, i'm sure you would've LOVED all the fans from pingu yelling NOOT NOOT all the time. And then they will get mad at you when you say Pingu ain't shit & fucking sucks. Just cuz "Da meme".
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
May 4, 2018 9:16 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
ecchiharemgeek said:
All ecchi harem/ecchi series
Before 2006

I'm jealous as it was 2009 for me, but ever since ive been good xD
May 4, 2018 9:22 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Omelettecat said:
Yeah that's how I feel about a few shoujo series I skipped as a kid- like skip beat or fushigi yuugi. I know I would have loved them back then, but now I just don't have the same interests and they bore me. Kind of makes me sad.

That's me but reversed. All the tropey romance mush was up my alley hardcore. Now I can't stand them.

wakamessama said:
I basically got late to almost everything on my list, being some of the most popular ones Death Note, Re:Zero, Naruto, Bleach, HxH and Toradora! Sadly when you're late to the hype it's difficult to avoid spoilers and people trying to influence their opinions on you, so being late has somehow affected my enjoyment.

That's another good point. I've avoided series just because of "meh" opinions on them. And it's not as if I let them totally influence my stance but I'll throw them farther on the backburner because of it. And depending on spoilers and how soon you get to it, can kind of ruin certain stuff.

Hell_Slayer said:
For me it would have to be Detective Conan. I mean as a kid, it looked very mysterious and and very serious to me with a dark story but a couple of days ago, I watched a few episodes and I felt nothing of that sort.

It depends on what part of the story you landed on. The main plot is really interesting and somewhat dark. But the rest is a bunch of mysteries that really mean nothing and do nothing for the main cast. It's gotten annoyingly episodic.

trenchantbaka said:
Stripes said:
Either way. I'm watching AnoHana right now, just about finished, and people told me that this series was def gonna make me cry, and I'm not even hard pressed on my emotions. I remember this series being super praised when it came out. Now it may be because I'm an adult and my "teen drama" well is dry but I'm just not feeling it. I think I teared up once in episode one and now I keep thinking I'm a heartless monster for not emphasizing; sad thing is, I'm sure 16 year old me would've probably bawled her eyes out. So maybe I'm just too late. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nah I wouldn't say it's about age. My literally 16 year old self didn't like it's drama and didn't tear up.

Being late on the hype train shouldn't particularly matter actually. If you didn't like it now but would've liked it when you were immature and easy to please or when there were people around you constantly screaming "this show is greeaatt", that would've just meant that the show actually isn't great or likeable.

I mean I guess tolerance is per person. But younger me really was into romance shenanigans and could tolerate the dramatics for a sob plot. But I have no patience for it now and if it doesn't result into clear and bigger results then I'm just annoyed.

I think with hype comes people you can enjoy the journey with, you're hard pressed to find many friends who are willing to watch a huge/old series with you at the drop of a hat. But if it's ongoing and talked about you can find stuff to connect with and raise enjoyment levels.

There is also the other piece of being too young and too inexperienced. But you're always changing. Things you like in your early twenties you might not like in 5 or 10 years now. Who knows. You might find something that'll change your taste.

May 4, 2018 9:33 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Pullman said:
I never cried for fiction until I was in my 20s so I can't really relate to the whole 'it'd have given me feels as a teen'. I used to think that crying for a tv series or movie was absurd and couldn't imagine it happening to me when I was that age, but in recent years that catharsis is one of my favorite parts of watching stuff. I don't even care being emotionally manipulated as long as it works.

And anohana worked for me. made me cry a couple of times. I generally found the drama to be among the better ones of its type, at least in terms of feels, even if some of it was a bit OTT in terms of the writing.

When I think of being late to the party I think of the fact that most people stop caring about most shows once they finish airing and I usually only watch all the high profile and high expectation shows after they finish airing at which point most people have already moved on to the next season and talk more about the season that will come after the next one than they talk about the previous season.

Mmh interesting. I'd say I'm the complete opposite on all fronts. I think as I've gotten older it's harder for me to cry and if I do it's definitely something natural and I've seemed to notice it's hardly over death but defeat or losing maybe this says a lot about myself.

BUT I guess my overall problem with AnoHana was that it ended up being about a love pentagon rather then Menma in the end and how her death effected them in individual ways other then how a bunch of 7 year olds were all having feelings for one another. Menma and her perspective actually hit me but the other 5, sigh. Anyways.

I'm not all about the emotional manipulation as it's termed. I guess in reality of writing you can make anybody die and anyone lose something but it's the amount of love and grounding you put into them that makes me care for them and I guess I'm having a hard time caring for petty teenagers unless they're written extremely well.
May 4, 2018 9:47 AM
Apr 2016
I just wish I was more into anime as a kid. I didn't get into it until I was a teen. I didn't really watch any other than an occasional episode of the Pokemon dub and know I would've loved a ton of the dubbed series on Toonami. And no worries about an embarrassing weeaboo phase, I was completely embarrassing with other things so I doubt it would've changed much. Also because of how late I was to anime I still haven't seen a lot of really popular series.
May 4, 2018 9:58 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
zieek said:
Every single series ever why, because I watch series after they have finished airing.

Well the topic isn't just about waiting for seasonal hype to end. It's about if you had watched something at an earlier time, would've appreciated it more? Or as someone else brought up, hearing spoilers/opinions before hand not tampered your opinion.

sealily said:
I just wish I was more into anime as a kid. I didn't get into it until I was a teen. I didn't really watch any other than an occasional episode of the Pokemon dub and know I would've loved a ton of the dubbed series on Toonami. And no worries about an embarrassing weeaboo phase, I was completely embarrassing with other things so I doubt it would've changed much. Also because of how late I was to anime I still haven't seen a lot of really popular series.

It's nice to have nostalgia goggles don't get me wrong but I think even if you're in your 20/30's you can still grow/change and change taste.
May 4, 2018 10:13 AM

Apr 2017
I used to like ieki no remi as a kid but now, I don't really care for it.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

May 4, 2018 10:30 AM

Aug 2017
Pretty much most of the popular shows like Attack on Titan, Black Lagoon, Fate/Zero, One punch Man, Re:Zero took me a while to watch. I just wait for a while and see if it interests me because I rarely watch seasonal shows.
May 5, 2018 1:49 PM

Jul 2017
all the fucking animes I've watched since I started watching animes... unlike those who aired when and after I srtaed watching animes.
May 5, 2018 3:32 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
S-quare22 said:
I used to like ieki no remi as a kid but now, I don't really care for it.

Yeah. It's kinda like babies first shounens. HA.
May 5, 2018 6:02 PM

Jul 2017
Attack on Titan and Konosuba

I only watched AOT since a friend kept bugging me about it.

By the time I learned about Konosuba, the 2nd season was almost over.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

May 5, 2018 9:42 PM

Jan 2018
On here, most definitely Koe no Katachi. I saw it around the time of it's release, but if I were here when it first popped up I would have defended it from the likes of @Detective and co that only want to put down powerful works that don't fit the elitist look.
May 6, 2018 11:01 AM

Dec 2017
None since in time I appreciate my favorites and anime I have watched over time.

Heck re-watching Hajime no Ippo the rising had me tear up on the first season and everything about it I appreciate it more.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
May 6, 2018 11:15 AM

Apr 2016
@Stripes

I was a teen when I watched Anohana; didn't cry on it. I often find it a pet peeve when people tell me what I should cry on and call me a monster for not doing so. Nothing's wrong with us; you just have emotional friends.

And as for your question, I was most definitely late when it came to watching: Angel Beats, Death Note, and the 1st Code Geass. I consider 2 out of 3 of those classics so watching them later shouldn't be too big a deal.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2018 12:29 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
CJ_Kiyoruki said:
@Stripes

I was a teen when I watched Anohana; didn't cry on it. I often find it a pet peeve when people tell me what I should cry on and call me a monster for not doing so. Nothing's wrong with us; you just have emotional friends.

And as for your question, I was most definitely late when it came to watching: Angel Beats, Death Note, and the 1st Code Geass. I consider 2 out of 3 of those classics so watching them later shouldn't be too big a deal.

I was sort of being cynical when saying that. I don’t care about others criticism towards me and my taste but I felt weird about not feeling anything even though I knew exactly why I didn’t. Mix of expectations and what it was aiming for frustrated me.

You’ll either like them or reflect as to why they were so popular once you do. Anything ranking in the top 5 popularity tends to land that way.
May 6, 2018 1:11 PM

Feb 2016
When I was younger I loved to watch what a lot people label as edgy. The more hyper violent or hyper sexual the better. If it made the viewer uncomfortable, even as a cheap gimmick, I wanted to watch it. Younger me probably would have loved something like Mahou Shoujo Site, but now I just avoid that type of show.

Funnily enough my other tastes are just as immature as ever when it comes to action, comedy, or comfy.
May 6, 2018 1:35 PM

Jun 2014
SAO and AOT. Both aired at the same time about a year before I decided to watch currently-airing series.
Glad I didnt waste my time waiting each week for an episode of SAO.
Although, it was enjoyable to binge watch through AoT without having to wait each week; and it was still semi-relevant at the time.
May 6, 2018 1:45 PM

Dec 2008
I'd have to say Simoun, I stumbled on to this series quite by accident-that and Maho Shoujo Tai Arusu.
Life Is Short But Intense.
May 6, 2018 1:54 PM

Nov 2017
Everything pre-2017. I only just got back into anime last year and man have I spent alot of my time trying catch up on many of the biggest and best shows of the last decade or so.

Now I have to hop aboard the classics train and watch Cowboy bebop, Ghost in the shell, ashita no joe, etc...etc...
May 6, 2018 7:18 PM
May 2016
I'm watching the original Love Live now.

I only got in LL this year. Granted I'm not a cringey mega fan like some weirdos I've seen, but I play the game, I got Nesoberis (and plan to get more) and well, both Muse and Aqours are perfect BAE material
May 7, 2018 10:06 AM

Dec 2017
Stripes said:

I was sort of being cynical when saying that. I don’t care about others criticism towards me and my taste but I felt weird about not feeling anything even though I knew exactly why I didn’t.
eh... c'mon. u got that joke seriously and got offended. sorry, didn't mean it. so much for not caring for criticism. take it easy with stuff on internet
May 7, 2018 10:24 AM

Sep 2015
ANGEL BEATS. I'm a crybaby now, but past me would've been a wreck.

Yet current me didn't even sniffle.
May 7, 2018 11:23 AM

Jul 2016
Everything I watch should have AT LEAST a few episodes aired already.

At most finished airing.
May 7, 2018 3:59 PM

Jul 2009
CSKaori said:
On here, most definitely Koe no Katachi. I saw it around the time of it's release, but if I were here when it first popped up I would have defended it from the likes of @Detective and co that only want to put down powerful works that don't fit the elitist look.

Gosh, you people are still whining about that one, huh? What I wrote must have really shattered the illusion.
May 7, 2018 6:48 PM

Dec 2012
All those idol shows singing sappy pop music, bleh. gag me with a spoon. Absolutely zero interest. Maybe I'd be interested if it was rock/motal though.
KruszerMay 7, 2018 6:52 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 8, 2018 11:18 AM

Apr 2017
"Party on", more like "bawled on"
because I was so late on the Madoka bandwagon.

I did not actually like Madoka Magica at first due to the unlimited spoilers in the social media but when I watched it for myself, never have I been so emotional on what was happening.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2018 11:23 AM

Oct 2017
I'm an adult man and I still think that Totoro is cute. But I would've enjoyed it more if I am a kid.
May 8, 2018 12:51 PM

Feb 2012
Maybe .hack//roots (or the dot hack franchise in general). It's more like I watched this series about 10 years ago and remember nothing about it. I don't truly care about it one way or the other. However I only played the actual story this year. It expanded leagues beyond the anime, but it would have been better if I had the interest and opportunity back then and not now when I'm old and rusty. I could imagine myself being super hyped about it at the time.
May 8, 2018 1:15 PM

Dec 2015
I think all of the shows on my list, and especially attack on titans.
May 8, 2018 1:28 PM

Aug 2015
Hmm.. I think I'm a late hyper of FMA:B... Like, seriously... Such a great show and I just took a glance at it's name on top of MAL and never bothered to watch it.. and now I know how much a fool I am.. XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

22 by pk8list »»
1 minute ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

15 by Nirinbo »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 17 minutes ago

2 by Maou_heika »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 5 hours ago

12 by pk8list »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

12 by Zettaiken »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.