Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Nov 24, 2019 1:53 AM

Nov 2008
jurekjurek said:
Worst episode of the show and the sole reason I can't rate this anime 10/10. After a brilliant EP 10 they incomprehensibly screwed up the pacing, everything seems so rushed. This episode is a very artificial and badly executed setup for the finale. Violet suddenly goes back to being a parachuting ninja and suddenly she doesn't need her typewriter to do her work because...magic? wtf

Agree. My bullshit-o-meter went off the charts after that parachuting and enemy squad just standing up and leaving. Also using muscle memory with artificial hands, wtf.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
May 11, 2020 1:19 PM

Aug 2019
Average episode, maybe even the worst since it comes after some very great ones. It felt rushed and everything seemed terribly convenient. I mean, she ninja'd her way across armed soldiers and then they just up and left while she turns her back on them?! It just completely got me out of the narrative and left me feeling hardly anything for the dying soldier. I get that this episode was about Violet dealing with a war setting again, but the sadness felt so forced compared to the previous ones.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
May 12, 2020 2:19 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Really nice episode. T_T
Kinda sucks they are always ending like this, really wanted to see the dude alive in the end.

May 15, 2020 1:32 PM

Feb 2012
Still not too shabby with the way she dealt with the soldiers.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 23, 2020 1:50 PM

Mar 2016
This show is a tear jerker for sure :'(
May 26, 2020 10:18 PM

Jun 2009
loved seeing her fight again! another sad ending

Jun 27, 2020 9:15 AM

Feb 2019
Lol just when I thought last episode was sad this one hit me in the guts. Violet was like an angel stayed by that soldier in his last moment.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Dec 19, 2020 10:18 PM

Jan 2019
I appreciate the attention to detail that Violet did not kill anyone after her badass entrance.

I do fear a bit what a report of her on the battlefield could mean for the fragile peace, but perhaps I'm reading too much into that.
Jan 3, 2021 12:28 AM

Feb 2019
One of the best episode in this anime
I can't stop crying..
Mar 15, 2021 3:34 PM

May 2015
Wow. 1st episode re-watching of the next day and I'm already crying again. Violet Evergarden is such a rollercoaster of emotions. Its very emotional series. It probably hits harder cause of how realistic the scenarios are such as this episode.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 16, 2021 6:28 AM

Jun 2020
Major_Gilbert said:
“Mom. Even though I had told you... that I’d become a baseball player… to get money for you to restore our house… I’m sorry. Dad… Dad, I had wanted you to watch more of my matches. I was really happy… when you told me that you liked seeing me hit the ball. I… I had actually started baseball because I wanted to be praised by you. I feel that if there was… anything else you’d praised me for… it would have been an option too. There’s nothing more fortunate… than having been born as the son of you both. I wonder why. I’ve… always… been so happy… and, well… I’ve gone through quite a lot of hardships… but… I never thought I’d die like this. I didn’t think this would happen. Like, normally… normally… people imagine themselves becoming adults, finding a lover, getting married, having kids… I-I… I… I thought I would be able to take care of you. I didn’t think… that I would be shot without really knowing why… and die in a country so far away from you. I’m sorry. I’m also sad… but the two of you… clearly… will be sadder. I was supposed… to come back to you safely… since I’m your only son. I was… supposed to come back. But… I won’t be able to. I’m sorry. Sorry.” He resented so much not being able to see his parents again and felt so guilty that his tears recurrently halted his words. “If… the two of you end up being reborn… and becoming a married couple… I’ll go to where you are. And then… I want you to give birth to me again. Please. I didn’t mean for things to end like this. I had wanted… to become happier… I was supposed… to show my happy self… to you. That’s the truth. So… please. Dad and Mom, you pray too. Make me your son again… please.

"Maria, are you… doing good? I wonder… if you’re… lonely… since I’m not there. It would be a problem… if it turns out that you’re crying everyday… but I’ve… been seeing your crying face… since we were kids… and it’s cute, so you shouldn’t… cry in front of men. I wonder if you remember… when you… confessed to me. You had… told me to not reminisce… to that time, but… y’know, I… I… was really… really… really… happy back then. I was really… so happy… That was probably… the peak… of my life… for real. I mean, I can’t remember anything else. Much more… than when I… won a baseball tournament… or was… praised by Dad… the thing that made me… the happiest… …was being told… that you… were in love with me. To tell the truth… I used to… only see you as a little sister… but you’re… too adorable, so… I soon… fell for you… You will… become even more gorgeous from now on, right? Aah, I’m jealous… of the guys that will be able to see it. If I could… I had… wanted to… make you… my bride… build a small cottage… and live… in that countryside, with you. I… loved you. I love you… Maria. Maria… Maria… Maria, I don’t wanna die… Maria, I wanna… go back to you… Maria… wait… for me… Even if… it’s just… my soul… I’ll come back… but it’s… fine if I’m… not your ‘only’. Just wait. Just… don’t forget. Don’t… forget… the first man… that you… confessed to. I also… won’t… forget. Even by… the gates… of heaven… I won’t… forget. Maria… don’t… forget me."

This is utterly heartbreaking.............

He is full of regrets. What a sorrowful episode. Thank you Violet for being there in his final moments & conveying his last words to his loved ones he left behind.

This is one of my favourite episodes, alongside Leon’s and the playwright’s

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Mar 23, 2021 1:15 PM
Feb 2021
Damn, Violet got balls to go to a battlefield for a letter request

This episode was decent... Not as great as the previous one but still good
Apr 7, 2021 1:20 PM
Nov 2020
very good eposode the music make it 100x better, one of the best soo far
Jul 7, 2021 2:57 PM

Jan 2021
Nooooo!!!T_T
Whyyyyy!!!! ╥﹏╥
This show hurts my heart…
Jul 15, 2021 5:55 AM

Dec 2020
this is so stupid in some ways but idc that was a nice tear runner, also feeding me to be immune to character death thank you thank you
Nov 21, 2021 7:48 AM

Apr 2021
"If you two are reincarnated and marry in the next life too, then please have me as your son again." I don't believe in reincarnation, but this one got me.
“Why does an apple fall when it is ripe? Is it brought down by the force of gravity? Is it because its stalk withers? Because it is dried by the sun, because it grows too heavy, or because the boy standing under the tree wants to eat it? None of these is the cause.... Every action of theirs, that seems to them an act of their own free will is in the historical sense not free at all but is bound up with the whole course of history and preordained from all eternity.”

― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Nov 23, 2021 8:40 AM
Jul 2019
Mom and so sad is this episode, we already give it in others with this anime. 😭😭💔 As some humans just want war and dominate others, I still like that Violet behaves so hard in front of him and does everything she can to help him, but it was sadder when Maria found out about him. 😭😞💔
Dec 1, 2021 10:32 AM

Jun 2016
Violet heard war, letter and soldier and went straight to action. No matter what the situation, she always finds a way to get the letter(s) delivered.

Can't say I can take the fact that Violet jumped straight into battle, or as those guys called it: "a hunt", and was able to find the right guy first try. It's bonkers just thinking about it. She's kinda insane, hehe.

Watching even Violet get emotional at the end really sinks everything in. Must be hard on her, knowing that she killed many, many, many people like him, in her time as a "weapon".

I can't pick which ep was more emotional, this one or the previous one... ​

Dec 18, 2021 10:23 PM

Mar 2018
My mind is boggled by the over analyzation some people are making into this one, choosing to nitpick on certain things, souring their own viewing experience instead of embracing it's story and emotions for what it is.

The emotion was damn near just as great as the last and is holding strong momentum despite a masterful ep.10 that I felt would be hard to maintain momentum after.
Jan 4, 2022 7:57 PM

Mar 2021
Gotta say, it's very impressive that Violet can memorize the typing motions correlating to the words.

Feb 22, 2022 4:52 PM
Nov 2020
This episode made me cry but this time I really felt it, it felt like it is real like I was experiencing it. When Aidan was saying his letter to his parents, I felt everything just crash down inside me, it was like I was in his shoes, like I was actually him. The part that made me cry the most was when his second letter was directed towards Maria, man that hit me the hardest, I got just feel how hard it was for Violet too hear all of that and keep writing it that was so hard for me to watch and the part when he said I love you, man, that right there hit me so hard and I was just hoping that Aidan was going live, and see Maria then tell her how he really feels, but In reality that was never going to happen because in my heart I knew as soon as I saw blood on the handkerchief that he got from Maria, at the moment I knew that it was already over. When he took his final breath, I just felt empty inside it was like I was Violet and I had to watch that entire. When It cut to scene of Maria, more tears then before started to shed, and I could feel the hurt in her eyes as soon as she saw Aidan parents breaking down in tears, but Violet started crying I felty whole world collapse man that episode hurt me more than I thought it would, definitely one of the saddest episodes I have ever watched.
Jun 20, 2022 3:57 PM

Apr 2018
makewayitsrhiz said:
"If you two are reincarnated and marry in the next life too, then please have me as your son again." I don't believe in reincarnation, but this one got me.

That part was hitting me so hard. And when the mother thanked Violet for bringing him back to them, I freakin' cried my eyes off.

I know that some people find this episode to be mediocre/meh compared to the last ep, but I find them both to be extremely sad. Violet is becoming more emotional than ever, which also makes these recent episodes tear-jerkers for me.
Sep 14, 2022 9:58 PM

Jan 2010
In previous episodes, I've pondered over ways to make each letter or episodic story explore and expand the world of Violet Evergarden, while also letting those moments develop Violet herself in a manner that doesn't cause her to become overbearing. Yeah, this is a nice episode. Not exactly sure how else to complement it.

I could possibly talk about the futility of war, the impact it has on ordinary people, and other tangential details the episode used to establish its story, but they're not as important as the interactions between Aiden, Maria, and Violet.

I'll say at least, I was taken aback by Violet apparently being able to memorize an entire letter's content by mimicking hand motions, as that seemed to come out of nowhere. I would have easily accepted that she hauled her typewriter in a backpack, and it was somehow both undamaged and didn't hinder her combat abilities. I suppose it's to demonstrate how talented of a Doll she is, but it seemed like a bit much, especially for a moment that hinged heavily on emotional drama.

That being said, I'm nitpicking because the episode was great otherwise. I really do want this anime to be as good as I've come to expect, so hopefully the last two episodes can close the show out well enough.
Sep 19, 2022 10:28 PM
Aug 2019
This was the best episode! Violet Evergarden is best!
Oct 1, 2022 5:06 PM

Dec 2020
i dont know what to say
Oct 2, 2022 2:50 AM
Jun 2019
Hep umut iletmişti, ilk kez bu bölüm kavuşamamanın kavurucu acısını iletti.
Nov 4, 2022 2:04 PM
Nov 2022
I was pretty supprised how Violent had robot arms and could control em
Nov 12, 2022 6:03 AM

Apr 2022
One tear jerker after another, that's brutal.

I don't get the people complaining about Violet not using a typewriter and memorising what he said instead, what else was she supposed to do? She wanted to comfort the soldier and she didn't even need to remember the exact words to write the two letters.
Dec 19, 2022 7:42 PM
Aug 2022
ery good narative first thing that I almost cried to
Mar 8, 2023 4:03 PM

Jul 2022
I love this series, but watching this one immediately after Episode 10 kind of...lessened its impact somehow?

I already knew that this show was essentially sadness pr0n since every episode is designed to make you cry, but for whatever reason this episode just made that painfully obvious in a bad way.

Still one of my favorites I've ever watched, just losing a bit of steam as we near the finish line.
Mar 10, 2023 9:02 AM

Jul 2022
I couldn't hold back my tears, this is the only anime that genuinely made me sad.
Mar 18, 2023 6:10 PM

Oct 2021
Not as good as the episode before, but it still made me tear up...

-------------------------
Marianne

~Effort, Fortitude, and Tenacity
Mar 30, 2023 11:23 PM

Aug 2016
This is a good episode that is done such a massive disservice by having to be the one to follow up the perfect episode ten. That "thank you" made me cry.

Mar 31, 2023 8:32 AM

Dec 2022
Again man, can't help but my eyes go teary mode even while holding back.
Maybe i've been watching too much sad shows recently not just anime, depresso mode syndrome for me.

May 29, 2023 11:32 AM

Jan 2022
Oh man, this one also didn't fail to make me cry. Jeeze, only 1 episode so far that didn't bring tears to my eyes. I'm surprised she wasn't the slightest bit hesitant or traumatized to go back into battlegrounds, very brave of her. This is the second time she has cried with a client. Super proud of her for not failing to do her job at writing letters even in dangerous places. Very strongwilled. 
This never updates so that's cool
Jun 5, 2023 1:26 PM
May 2023
I literally just watched episodes 10 and 11 in a row and cannot stop crying. This is an amazing show that provokes intense feelings for characters you don't really know. This is amazing.
Jun 17, 2023 2:25 AM

Apr 2013
Man, I don't care about the episode as it happens, but in the end they always make it so emotional. The third episode in which I had to shed a tear or two, goddamnit!
Jun 18, 2023 10:43 AM
Jun 2022
I love the ost and direction of this chapter
Jul 29, 2023 9:58 AM
Jul 2023
Mivel még nem akarom tudni a végét, ezért idáig újra nézek minden eddigi részt xdd
Oct 11, 2023 11:48 PM
Oct 2023
Really fucking good
Nov 24, 2023 9:58 PM

Dec 2019
Most emotional episode so far. It hit hard, but not enough to get me crying.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
Dec 17, 2023 1:07 AM

Nov 2023
Gahhdamn man, I really feel bad about Violet.
Jan 17, 7:02 AM
Jan 2024
Very good frfr no capping
Feb 26, 11:57 PM
Apr 2023
I know very well that it's fictional, but it really bothered me to see Violet give a kiss to someone other than me (Haha...).
Mar 18, 11:48 AM
Mar 2021
it was so beautiful, i can't hold back my tears
Mar 26, 3:34 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
We already crushed your soul with last episode, but we're gonna keep laying it on you hard so here's another one! :D

NYANPASU
5700XT

Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» I think my life will be complete once i see a violet evergarden live action.

mrjdko - Apr 27

31 by ColossalDonny845 »»
Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

618 by LilandBrown »»
Apr 28, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.