Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 19, 2018 11:24 PM

Jan 2018
One of the things that got me into Anime is that a lot of shows and films are willing to tackle subjects and ideas that Western shows and films simply stay away from due to wanting to have the biggest audience possible.

There are a lot of Anime that I find deep. But these are my top ten.

10. Darker Than Black: You can say that Darker Than Black is about a lot of things. Emotions, power, mental illness, how messed up the government is, how humans interact with one another. But, I think the meaning is right in the title. It's about the darkness of the human soul. That quote at the end of episode 24 said it all too: "The hell in your heart is a darkness that is darker than black." Darker Than Black presents so many questions and instead of providing you the answers, they leave it up to you to decide for yourself. A big idea in Darker Than Black is how all humans are capable of killing. And with all these shootings going on lately, I've been thinking about this.

9. Death Note: Death Note really asks one specific question. Does a human have the right to kill another one? It's a simple question. But, it's probably the deepest question that we can ask. Throughout the series we watch Light use his power to kill and see how it corrupts him. It was interesting just to see how that kind of power can be a true curse.

8. Monster: What is good? What is evil? Are people born good? Or are we all evil from the get go? This is what Monster is all about. And the series executes this to a tee. We get to set back and think to ourselves if Johan is a product of nature or nurture. This show could have just been a thriller. But, it went there and decided to go in depth to the darkness and light of the human psyche.

7. Fate Zero: A friend of mine once said while he was trying to decode Fate Zero that you have to be smart to get this show. I'd say so. So many ideas going on. Obviously Nihilism. But utilitarianism is a huge part of this show and how no matter how hard we try or how talented we are, we can fail. A beautiful tragedy.

6. Ghost In The Shell (The first film and the series): I mean wow. If you want an Anime about ideas then this is it. From what is it really like to being a human, to if objects are alive or not, absolute infinity and many other things, the depth in Ghost In The Shell is amazing. One of the most thought provoking works of art out there.

5. Mushishi: Another great Anime with a ton of great ideas. Each episode served as a vehicle for a new idea. Like how dreams shape our reality, wanting to belong, a mother hating herself for not being able to learn her son, a girl stuck in her past, or Ginko wanting to face his fears. Mushishi was able to go into things so well and so beautifully and make you think and feel at the same time.

4. Elfen Lied: I love this show. Yes, it is gory. But does it ever make you think. Nihilism, racism and belonging are at the forefront of this show. And it handle these very complex subjects in a beautiful way.

3. Princess Mononoke: This film makes me feel so guilty. Miyazaki is able to create a masterpiece about how we are ruining the environment. Which a nice spiritual touch at that. I just get emotional every time I watch it and it makes me think about how we have hurt the planet that we inhabit so much. And he does this in a way that isn't banging it on your head.

2. Cowboy Bebop: Existentialism baby. Cowboy Bebop goes into how in life there is no inherent meaning and we have to create this for ourselves. It does this in a way that is so entertaining that some may even miss. But, we follow the Bebop crew who are clearly aimless people who use stoicism to runaway from their existential loneliness. This is a show that has stayed with me and has changed my life. There is a great youtube vide about Cowboy Bebop called theory of nothing that I suggest that you check out if you haven't.

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion: Not only is this the deepest Anime, it could b the deepest thing that I've ever watched. It's a Fruedin/Jungian work of art with shades of Shopenhauer. It has religous imagery galore. It goes into mental illness is a way that I've never seen protrayed on TV or in Cinema. It really shows how it feels to be depressed and to be isolated in the world. And of course, puberty. Those last two episodes were total mind fucks. Neon Genesis Evangelion is important and should be required watching for all 14 year olds.
StarSwoardsmanFeb 20, 2018 8:29 AM
Feb 19, 2018 11:38 PM

Oct 2015
Oh please, watch some quality anime like Manyuu Hikenchou or Yuyushiki from time to time and you'll realize you were deep-diving in a bathtub until now.
Feb 19, 2018 11:39 PM

Oct 2015
Well, I'll list somethings that aren't in there like NGE

Texhnolyze- The most nihilistic anime however giving sheds of hope, somewhat like NGE EoE.

Musou Dairirin-Tackes society problems with Kon's special surrealism.

Ashita no Joe- one of the most inspiring show, gritty coming-of-age about a kid growing up in a harsher part of the society and the loudest roar that beats my heart.

Perfect Blue- Back when dementia was a thing, blurs the line of reality and illusion.

I haven't watch a lot of Gundam, but

Gundam Thunberbolt- Showcases war converying that all participants of war are victims, caught up in-between higher power's order

Ghost in the Shell- question philosophical questions, one of being what if our reality isn't actually reality?

And plenty more but I'm in a hurry and my memory isn't good, ta da~ may I add manga perhaps?

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Feb 19, 2018 11:40 PM

Jan 2018
Lavendarjosh said:
Oh please, watch some quality anime like Manyuu Hikenchou or Yuyushiki from time to time and you'll realize you were deep-diving in a bathtub until now.

I googled both, what makes them deep? The first one sounds alright. The second one just sounds like a school anime with an interesting plot.

-Lofn- said:

Perfect Blue- Back when dementia was a thing, blurs the line of reality and illusion.

Perfect Blue is fantastic. Kon's works really showed just how fragile the human mind is.
Feb 19, 2018 11:42 PM

Feb 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
Darker Than Black

You mean the pseudo-episodic show that failed to be anything more than an action anime that follows your typical angsty anti-hero dealing with enemies with super powers every week? I mean, it did have a cool setting and tried to handle some themes such as racism but it just ended up being a hot mess

opening are lit though
Feb 19, 2018 11:43 PM

Oct 2015
StarSwoardsman said:
Lavendarjosh said:

I googled both, what makes them deep? The first one sounds alright. The second one just sounds like a school anime with an interesting plot.

Yuyushiki is heavy on exploring existentalism and spirituality, you should give it a try.

Edit: not to mention surrealism of the finest sort.
Feb 19, 2018 11:44 PM

Jan 2018
greymood said:
StarSwoardsman said:
Darker Than Black

You mean the pseudo-episodic show that failed to be anything more than an action anime that follows your typical angsty anti-hero dealing with enemies with super powers every week? I mean, it did have a cool setting and tried to handle some themes such as racism but it just ended up being a hot mess

opening are lit though

Hmm, Idk man, I personally loved that show. Not only is it one of my favorite Anime shows, it's one of my favorite works of art. And I don't see Hei as the typical anti hero at all. He seemed to be a mix between and anti hero and a hero. A very conflicted lead. And it worked.

I actually liked the end of the season 1. Season two's end was harder to take, but not bad.
Feb 19, 2018 11:51 PM

Feb 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
greymood said:

opening are lit though

Hmm, Idk man, I personally loved that show. Not only is it one of my favorite Anime shows, it's one of my favorite works of art. And I don't see Hei as the typical anti hero at all. He seemed to be a mix between and anti hero and a hero. A very conflicted lead. And it worked.

I actually liked the end of the season 1. Season two's end was harder to take, but not bad.

I honestly prefered the second season even with all the Mari Okada bullshit and the inferior OST. At least the plot was more dense and it tried to do something with it's world instead of repeating the episodic approach the first one did. But in the end it still couldn't make everything come together and felt a tad pointless
Feb 19, 2018 11:58 PM

Jan 2018
greymood said:
StarSwoardsman said:

I honestly prefered the second season even with all the Mari Okada bullshit and the inferior OST. At least the plot was more dense and it tried to do something with it's world instead of repeating the episodic approach the first one did. But in the end it still couldn't make everything come together and felt a tad pointless

Now That's interesting. Most people seem to kinda shit on the second season. I liked the second season a lot. But, I liked how the show used it episodic nature and still had an overarching plot. It achieved this better than Cowboy Bebop did.

The point of the first season is that every two episodes that are out should be watched like an hour long drama and that they are arcs in their own right. It is supposed to really show the lifestyle of Hei and introduce other characters. At the same time, it established the world real well, came up with some cool ideas and everything connected at the end.

But, like I said, the show doesn't give you answers. It makes you have to be active when watching. And if you are, it's rewarding. It's a very unique anime.
Feb 20, 2018 12:13 AM

Jan 2017
@StarSwoardsman I agree with some of your picks.

You should also check out (if haven't already):

Zankyou no Terror
Berserk - 1997 version (ending will leave you questioning the universe)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (ending again amazing)
FLCL
Colorful - movie
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (you will cry)
No. 6 (manga preferred - anime doesn't adapt very well)
Erased (twist ending)
Perfect Blue - movie
Clannad: After Story (you will bawl)

Feb 20, 2018 12:24 AM

Jul 2014
StarSwoardsman said:
One of the things that got me into Anime is that a lot of shows and films are willing to tackle subjects and ideas that Western shows and films simply stay away from due to wanting to have the biggest audience possible.

What.

Have you ever watched a movie. I mean, a good movie.
Feb 20, 2018 12:29 AM

Aug 2015
lets stop using the word deep to describe shows because it sounds stupid
Feb 20, 2018 12:36 AM

May 2015
Gurren Lagann, the main character lives underground at the beginning of the anime.

Made in Abyss, there's a huge hole at least 20,000 meters deep.

Aria-da-Capo said:
StarSwoardsman said:

What.

Have you ever watched a movie. I mean, a good movie.
By what he is saying and the way he is describing the deepest anime it would seem he's watched only mainstream garbage.
Acting like there aren't any movies which approach the same themes and even more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2018 5:09 AM
Aug 2016
Please, stop using the word "deep", thanks.
Feb 20, 2018 5:11 AM

Dec 2015
Looking at what you people consider to be "deep" I have come to realise that anime is just not a deep art form.
Feb 20, 2018 5:15 AM

Aug 2017
digi charat is super deep deeper than any anime you listed
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2018 5:18 AM
Jul 2018
but where is k-on and love live doujins?
Feb 20, 2018 6:31 AM

Apr 2017
For me, deep is simply the opposite of shallow. Some of the deeper series I've seen are Berserk 1997, Gungrave and Rainbow.

There are way more movies I consider deep though; Spirited Away (and many more Ghibli films), Koe no Katachi, Perfect Blue, Ghost in the Shell and Millennium Actress.
Feb 20, 2018 6:56 AM

Jan 2018
J_LEE_C said:
@StarSwoardsman I agree with some of your picks.

You should also check out (if haven't already):

Zankyou no Terror
Berserk - 1997 version (ending will leave you questioning the universe)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (ending again amazing)
FLCL
Colorful - movie
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (you will cry)
No. 6 (manga preferred - anime doesn't adapt very well)
Erased (twist ending)
Perfect Blue - movie
Clannad: After Story (you will bawl)

Good choices. I've been reading Erased and got five more chapters left, it actually very deep. I love how it interwtined child psychology into a thriller.

I've seen Terror in Resonance, Gurren Lagan, Perfect Blue and Clannad After Story. Not sure if I would called Gurren Lagan and Clannad After Story deep per say. But Gurrn Lagan actually has an interesting premise, a lot of heart and maturity. And Clannad After Story is very real and has some well done tear jerking moments.

It's funny how most people write off FLCL. It's presentation is insane. But what it's about is actually very human. Puberty, masculinity and growing up. And presents this in such a creativity way.

Colorful is on my lift of movies to watch and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 looks very interesting.
Feb 20, 2018 7:23 AM
Aug 2016
Mushishi, Cowboy Bebop & Neon Genesis Evangelion are great shows, but I wouldn't call them 'Deep'.

Feb 20, 2018 7:38 AM

Jan 2018
Based said:
Mushishi, Cowboy Bebop & Neon Genesis Evangelion are great shows, but I wouldn't call them 'Deep'.

Then is what deep to you?

I did mention because of the style of the show a lot of people don't understand the depth of Cowboy Bebop. But, all three of those shows that you mentioned how a great deal of depth in them and discuss several philosophical and psychological ideas and go into the human condition. Pretty deep to me.
Feb 20, 2018 7:42 AM
Aug 2016
StarSwoardsman said:
Based said:

I did mention because of the style of the show a lot of people don't understand the depth of Cowboy Bebop. But, all three of those shows that you mentioned how a great deal of depth in them and discuss several philosophical and psychological ideas and go into the human condition. Pretty deep to me.

I probably have not reached the level of 'deepness' that you speak of. I simply watch merely for enjoyment (even if a series is bad), I suppose.
Feb 20, 2018 7:44 AM

Jul 2013
Arpeggio of Blue Steel

They're reaching the bottom of the ocean. You can't go deeper than that
Feb 20, 2018 7:47 AM

Apr 2013
While I agree with the sentiment, I don't agree with your pick of the shows.
Feb 20, 2018 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
The 4 deepest animes I've ever seen were :
Monster
Death Note
Ultimate Savior Kaiji
Psycho Pass

Some Honorable mentions ( Not deep enough ) : Angel Beats , Charlotte , Guilty Crown , FMAB , AoT , Gintama , Kill la Kill , Tokyo Ghoul , Zankyou no terror.
Feb 20, 2018 8:00 AM

Jan 2018
Based said:
StarSwoardsman said:

I probably have not reached the level of 'deepness' that you speak of. I simply watch merely for enjoyment (even if a series is bad), I suppose.

Ah, okay I get what you are saying. That is what makes those shows or any show or film in any medium great. You can look into the depth of it if you want. But if you want to just watch them for entertainment then you can. Fight Club is like that, The Matrix is like that, Pulp Fiction is like that and etc.

Erebus25 said:
While I agree with the sentiment, I don't agree with your pick of the shows.

How come?
MyKamiList said:
Arpeggio of Blue Steel

Haha, you really can't.
Feb 20, 2018 8:02 AM

Jan 2018
SilentBlaster said:
The 4 deepest animes I've ever seen were :
Monster
Death Note
Ultimate Savior Kaiji
Psycho Pass

Some Honorable mentions ( Not deep enough ) : Angel Beats , Charlotte , Guilty Crown , FMAB , AoT , Gintama , Kill la Kill , Tokyo Ghoul , Zankyou no terror.

Psycho Pass is my third favorite Anime. The only reason that I didn't put it on the list is because I believe that it got more into its style over its very deep premise.
Feb 20, 2018 8:28 AM

Jan 2018
You know what show that I forgot? Serial Experiments Lain. Holy shit. That show changed my life. I had to read Martin Heidegger's Being and time to understand it. The philosophy was dope. Great thoughts on communication, how society makes us think that we must do certain things to live, who is God, identity and more.
Feb 20, 2018 8:50 AM

Jan 2017
MyKamiList said:
Arpeggio of Blue Steel

DON'T SPOIL IT. I'm only 5 chapters in.

Feb 20, 2018 9:00 AM
Jan 2016
I think WELCOME TO NHK is pretty deep. One of the nicest anime and manga I have ever read.
Feb 20, 2018 9:43 AM

Jul 2013
J_LEE_C said:
MyKamiList said:
Arpeggio of Blue Steel

How is that spoiler in any shape or form?
Feb 20, 2018 9:48 AM

Aug 2012
Ghost in the Shell is indeed a good film. Just recently got into the TV-series. High expectations.
Feb 20, 2018 9:48 AM

Jan 2017
MyKamiList said:
J_LEE_C said:

Lol I was jk, idc really. I've only read the first volume, and I'll have to go back and reread it when I put my mind to catching all the way up so I remember it.

Feb 20, 2018 9:49 AM

Sep 2017
What is deep about Darker then Black? Don't get me wrong, I like both anime, however they reach as deep as the reflection of the ocean. Just because an anime likes to ask certain questions, that doesn't make them 'deep'. Same counts for Death Note. According these standarts, Hunter x Hunter and Naruto would also be 'deep'.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Feb 20, 2018 9:52 AM

Jul 2013
J_LEE_C said:
MyKamiList said:

Lol I was jk, idc really. I've only read the first volume, and I'll have to go back and reread it when I put my mind to catching all the way up so I remember it.

Sorry about that then. It's not easy to tell whether someone is serious or not on the internet, and I wouldn't call something that happened in episode 1 of the anime and had no real significant on the plot point a spoiler
JustMonakaFeb 21, 2018 3:46 AM
Feb 20, 2018 10:00 AM

Jan 2018
aliquae said:
What is deep about Darker then Black? Don't get me wrong, I like both anime, however they reach as deep as the reflection of the ocean. Just because an anime likes to ask certain questions, that doesn't make them 'deep'. Same counts for Death Note. According these standarts, Hunter x Hunter and Naruto would also be 'deep'.

I have never seen those shows so I can't comment on them, but aren't those shows filled with filler?

Darker Than Black is deep because it really provokes a lot of thought. For me it made me think about a lot of things about my own humanity in a way that few shows and films can do. And the show isn't in your face about it. It makes you come to your conclusions.
Feb 20, 2018 12:24 PM
Jan 2018
StarSwoardsman said:

Sorry, but almost all of those animes you've listed either has western inspiration or adapted source material that has been done better in the west. Ghost in the Shell is pretty much an attempt at Blade Runner or Philip K Dick's novels. Ghost in the Shell just sets up mystery so that characters can essentially just paraphrase each other as if they are figuring stuff out, which is heresy in my books.

Monster has a rough first 20 episodes, which eventually became detrimental to how much I had to force my suspension of disbelief by the end.

Darker than Black definitely shouldn't be taken as an example on how to properly use allegories. It was a cool action show, but it definitely struggled at using literary devices to convey "depth", as you put it. The pacing was all over the place to begin with.

Look, just because philosophy or some moral outlook is portrayed in something doesn't mean that its necessarily well implemented into the work. Sometimes its just lazily thrown in as confetti.
Fate/Zero for one, wasn't good because of the views its characters had but rather because of how well it handled tragedy. And I'm surprised Tokyo Ghoul isn't mentioned even if it was poorly adapted, its also pretty self-aware of its attempt at tragedy. The manga does a better job obviously, and it builds up to the tragedy pretty well. Fate/Zero is proof that its author was better at storytelling because UBW is seriously just what the... eh? Fate/Zero gets tragedy right, and that's what it set out to do. Nothing more. In the end the views, and philosophies were all just ideologies bound to break in the wake of the catastrophe that plays out. Tragedies aren't really vehicles for allegory as much as it is for eliciting pure catharsis.

Saying that Cowboy Bebop has good writing is like saying Dark Souls has writing.

Seriously, almost everything in Anime is based off of some western trope. And tragedies were mastered and refined by Greek and German philosophers to the point of making normative rules for it even. Any attempt at tragedy cannot escape what has been set in stone by Aristotle's book Poetics. Even if you make an antithesis tragedy to his guidelines of writing tragedy, it's still inspired by it at least. And there are some attempts at throwing the normative structure of tragedy on its head, namely Death of a Salesman. What it comes down to is that no tragedy can escape the established Greek Tragedy. Which is western.

Western, western, western. Like it or not, but back in the day people in west had way too much time on their hands. Freudian, and Shopenhauer are all western, but I get the idea that you put way too much faith in allegory. It's just one rhetorical device of many at play when writing something, and is definitely JUST SUPPLEMENTAL. Why don't you just go do a few modules on philosophy at uni or something, its the best application of philosophy. Anime definitely shouldn't receive credit for just mentioning, hinting or giving cues of a moral or philosophical perspective conceived by some Austrian guy that snorted cocaine.

DodgeOffsetFeb 20, 2018 12:51 PM
Feb 20, 2018 12:28 PM

Jun 2017
Sword art Online and Re:Zero are my favorite deep animes

Feb 20, 2018 12:30 PM

May 2016
The deepest anime is obviously Citrus
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Feb 20, 2018 1:15 PM

Jan 2018
Monster said:
Ghost in the Shell is indeed a good film. Just recently got into the TV-series. High expectations.

The show is one of the best police procedural dramas out there. Very well done abs expands on everything. I watched it before the film and was so happy that I did that.
Feb 21, 2018 10:29 AM

Jul 2013
I think Gintama can get pretty deep lol

also Kino no Tabi... that one made me think deeply

SkyFullOfStarsFeb 21, 2018 10:33 AM
Feb 21, 2018 10:55 PM

Jan 2018
SkyFullOfStars said:
I think Gintama can get pretty deep lol

also Kino no Tabi... that one made me think deeply

Those are some nice quotes. I'll have to check that show out.
Feb 22, 2018 5:14 AM

Oct 2012
Disagree with your take on Death Note. It doesn't so much as ask that question as tell you the answer. It's true that sometimes it is mentioned that Kiras harshness on crime has lowered violent crime rates. But that's a you get. Light is portrayed as an evil, meglomaniacle psychopath who's just doing this for his own selfish reasons from pretty much episode one. Like I love Death Note but it's not particularly philosophical. It's just a clever story.
Feb 22, 2018 5:28 AM

Mar 2015
https://myanimelist.net/manga/30603/6000
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 22, 2018 5:34 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
Habane Renmei
Kemono no Souja Erin
Kino no Tabi
Shôjo kakumei Utena
KushHazeFeb 22, 2018 6:01 AM
Feb 22, 2018 5:41 AM
Jan 2018
Ergo proxy
Psycho pass
Serial lain experiments
Gungrave
Feb 22, 2018 5:58 AM

Feb 2010
I honestly think that the mindset, how you approach and think about the media you consume, plays a more important role than whatever the show is doing when it comes to perceiving depth in a show. You can watch anything mindlessly and be unable to see any depth in it, to get anything interesting out of it should you choose to do so. Nothing easier than that. Lots of people are like this, they watch stuff like SEL or NGE just because of their reputation so they can say 'this was shit' or 'not deep at all' after taking it at face value or just not being able to be bothered to think about it too hard, because if you don't try to interpret something, you won't get anything out of it. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. And it's most likely the case for the majority of people who just straight up say 'there is no depth in show X!!!'. They just can't see it because of their mindset, and try to objectivize their interpretational incompetence as an inherent characteristic/flaw of the show.

On the other hand if you're an analytical person who thinks a lot about anything they see or hear and enjoys interpreting and has a creative mind when doing so, can probably get thought-provoking inspiration from most shows, including a ton that aren't especially deep and don't have any reputation like that. For example I'm pretty sure that I got more out of Shitcom than some haters got out of NGE or SEL. That's the cool thing about abstract themes and topics, you don't need very much to think about a topic and start doing your own interpretations on it. It doesn't even need to be executed perfectly or anything, sometimes just the presence of a certain theme can inspire thoughts and interpretations.

The point is that 'depth' is more like a mirror, so if you're not a 'deep' person that likes to think and ponder a lot, chances are you won't get that kind of experience out of even shows with the best reputation in the field. You need the will to think, you need to enjoy thinking, otherwise no show will ever be 'deep' in your experience, because you're a shallow person (at least when it comes to consuming media). Which is not a criticism and everyone can approach entertainment as they want, but then you should stick to your type of shows and not forcefully watch shows with a 'deep' reputation just to prove to yourself that their reputation is bullshit. Because it doesn't prove anything about the show, it just tells us about your approach to media being mindless and surface-oriented. And in any case I think it's important to point out that when it comes to perceiving depth in a show the role of the actual show is marginal compared to the mindset and willingness to interpret and enjoy that process on the side of the viewer.

Of course some shows are more well-constructed, well-written and involve some themes in more interesting and unique ways than others, but that's what I'd just call overall quality of a show. The depth itself is more defined by the viewer than the show.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 22, 2018 7:00 AM

Jan 2018
MisterMiracleX45 said:
Ergo proxy
Psycho pass
Serial lain experiments
Gungrave

Love Psycho Pass and Serial Experiments Lain.

I'm in the middle of watching Ergo Proxy and I am impressed. Not only is it deep, but it's also a slick action thriller. Thought provoking and fun to watch.

Gungrave is actually o my list. That should be good.

Pullman said:
I honestly think that the mindset, how you approach and think about the media you consume, plays a more important role than whatever the show is doing when it comes to perceiving depth in a show. You can watch anything mindlessly and be unable to see any depth in it, to get anything interesting out of it should you choose to do so. Nothing easier than that. Lots of people are like this, they watch stuff like SEL or NGE just because of their reputation so they can say 'this was shit' or 'not deep at all' after taking it at face value or just not being able to be bothered to think about it too hard, because if you don't try to interpret something, you won't get anything out of it. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. And it's most likely the case for the majority of people who just straight up say 'there is no depth in show X!!!'. They just can't see it because of their mindset, and try to objectivize their interpretational incompetence as an inherent characteristic/flaw of the show.

On the other hand if you're an analytical person who thinks a lot about anything they see or hear and enjoys interpreting and has a creative mind when doing so, can probably get thought-provoking inspiration from most shows, including a ton that aren't especially deep and don't have any reputation like that. For example I'm pretty sure that I got more out of Shitcom than some haters got out of NGE or SEL. That's the cool thing about abstract themes and topics, you don't need very much to think about a topic and start doing your own interpretations on it. It doesn't even need to be executed perfectly or anything, sometimes just the presence of a certain theme can inspire thoughts and interpretations.

The point is that 'depth' is more like a mirror, so if you're not a 'deep' person that likes to think and ponder a lot, chances are you won't get that kind of experience out of even shows with the best reputation in the field. You need the will to think, you need to enjoy thinking, otherwise no show will ever be 'deep' in your experience, because you're a shallow person (at least when it comes to consuming media). Which is not a criticism and everyone can approach entertainment as they want, but then you should stick to your type of shows and not forcefully watch shows with a 'deep' reputation just to prove to yourself that their reputation is bullshit. Because it doesn't prove anything about the show, it just tells us about your approach to media being mindless and surface-oriented. And in any case I think it's important to point out that when it comes to perceiving depth in a show the role of the actual show is marginal compared to the mindset and willingness to interpret and enjoy that process on the side of the viewer.

Of course some shows are more well-constructed, well-written and involve some themes in more interesting and unique ways than others, but that's what I'd just call overall quality of a show. The depth itself is more defined by the viewer than the show.

You hit it on the nail.

I feel like most people are not conscious so when they are watching something they turn their mind off and just look at it purely from an entertainment standpoint. That's their prerogative. But, like you said, that just means that the person is shallow when it comes to consuming media.

Shows like Evangelion and Lain are so open about their themes that they mindfuck you where shows like Cowboy Bebop and Darker Than Black don't really give you anything and force you into deeper thought.

It's funny, like you said you can find deeper meanings even in a show that isn't really deep. Like, I loved How I met your mother. It isn't a deep show. But, I found some meaning in it. I am watching Re Zero right now. It's not a deep show, but I am finding a decent amount of meaning in it as well. It's because I am actively watching it, not passively watching it.
Feb 22, 2018 7:23 AM

Jul 2015
Nooooo we don't need two more years of "elitists are mean" threads just because you wanna gie us your top 10 animu blog post here, OP.

Also, Elfen Lied? (^:

edit: Kill la Kill deepest animu by far (((^:
Feb 22, 2018 7:50 AM

Apr 2017
"Do you feel the presence of god? If god was like a human, or what form he'd be.. God is a being of absolute power. This world is the product of that power. Think of it like an unexpected disaster. There is nothing you can do but give up."

I know it sounds so edgy but man I was getting so much chills when I was reading this part.

Read Gantz if you haven't. It's awesome.

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

28 by vasipi4946 »»
42 seconds ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

29 by vasipi4946 »»
7 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
15 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 14

50 by alshu »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.