Forum Settings
Forums

Weekly Shounen Magazine Launches Manga Submission Website

New
Feb 7, 2018 8:46 AM

Jul 2009

Editors of Kodansha's Weekly Shounen Magazine have launched a website where aspiring manga artists can submit drafts of their works to be reviewed by the magazine's editors. The free-to-access website named Magazine Debut began its service on Wednesday.

Artists who submit their work in Magazine Debut will receive feedback directly from the magazine's editors in the form of comments, and both parties can also have a conversation using the system. Promising contributors may also request to have an editor assigned to them in order to explore the possibility of the work's publication in the magazine. Should multiple editors be interested in working on the title, the artist will be able to select with whom he or she wants to work.

In an introductory blog post, the website's sub-chief Nakata indicated that the free submission system allows for artists to submit their works without having to travel to Tokyo and meet with Shounen Magazine editors. Because comments are open to the public, readers will also be able to learn more about the manga production process and support the titles they would like to see published.

Nakata admits that Kodansha's opening of Magazine debut comes as a delayed attempt to provide a similar service to rival Shueisha's Shounen Jump Rookie platform. However, he points out that Shuiesha does not offer direct editor feedback on its service. In Magazine Debut, Kodansha aims to provide "the shortest distance between the author and the editor."

Official site: https://debut.shonenmagazine.com/

Source: Anime! Anime! Biz
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Feb 7, 2018 8:50 AM

Apr 2016
I wonder, if they would accept submissions from weabs too.
Feb 7, 2018 9:25 AM

Feb 2015
Swagernator said:

Judging from the way the site is structured. I think they will.

Gotta know japanese though. Unless they require to meet you face to face at one point and you can't afford a plane ticket.

I guess it'd still be tricky.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Feb 7, 2018 9:31 AM

Feb 2012
That's very nice, more ppl to express their ideas, and hopefully more original stuff.

Manga is more elite anyways.
Feb 7, 2018 9:51 AM

Mar 2014
Oh, we can read the submissions too. That's cool.

I do wonder though, is the editor for a series usually credited anywhere? I only ever see their names mentioned in interviews and afterwords (and sometimes it's just a letter). I wonder if it's more common info in Japan.
Feb 7, 2018 3:27 PM

Feb 2015
Promising contributors may also request to have an editor assigned to them in order to explore the possibility of the work's publication in the magazine. Should multiple editors be interested in working on the title, the artist will be able to select with whom he or she wants to work.

I guess it'll be good for those who wants to be a mangaka. But then again I dunno how's the competition within Japan.
Feb 7, 2018 3:57 PM

Mar 2015
pretty late i would said considering syosetsu craze was starting since 2012... publisher should realize the power of internet sooner... better late then never tbh....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 7, 2018 5:30 PM
Jan 2017
Clarify this for me: Would any potential manga writers/artists who submit longer pieces of work have to follow the weekly quota as well?

If this website can allow for people to submit their manga works internationally, I'd imagine some of those international writers would have to deal with a work culture they would either not be prepared for or not familiar with.

Correct me if I am wrong on any of these assumptions, cause I know I am being ignorant to all this.
Feb 8, 2018 12:46 AM

Dec 2016
Swagernator said:
I mean, you gotta be able to write Japanese to submit an entry, so...
ShionFeb 8, 2018 12:50 AM
Feb 9, 2018 3:15 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
This is very promising. Hopefully this will shape aspiring mangaka. Granted the entire system about editors in the manga business has been pretty 50/50 in perspective.
Feb 9, 2018 3:18 AM

Jan 2009
good project to find new mangaka out there and really this is one way to find the next big hit manga

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Kuroiwa Medaka ni Watashi no Kawaii ga Tsuujinai' Gets TV Anime

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

13 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - May 12

39 by Jonas-K »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Kinoko Inu' Receives TV Anime in Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» Manga 'Kakushite! Makina-san!!' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - May 9

15 by Piromysl »»
Yesterday, 4:47 AM

» 'Kimi no Iro' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - May 12

6 by RobertBobert »»
May 12, 11:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.