Forum Settings
Forums

Disagreeing with radically negative opinions

New
Feb 7, 2018 2:17 AM
Jul 2018
Hello there. Have you ever been in a situation where an anime you like is heavily criticized by most people ? For example, Mekakucity Actors and Sasami-san@Ganbaranai are commonly referred to as "Shaft trainwrecks". When I started watching them I was a bit worried because of that. However, I ended up really liking them. Have you ever been in a similar situation ? If yes, then what anime did you really like despite it having a low score and generally bad opinion ?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 7, 2018 2:21 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
welcome to the world of an ecchi/fanservice/moe fan

... yea...

what more do i need to say?

EcchiGodMamsterFeb 7, 2018 4:01 AM
Feb 7, 2018 2:30 AM

Jul 2015
Sao and School days are considered the worst anime ever created

i enjoyed both of them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 7, 2018 2:35 AM

Apr 2016
It's true that i'm usually on the other side of the boat, but i get what you mean OP.
Feb 7, 2018 2:35 AM

Jul 2013
I'm a fan of Mayoiga and Ousama Game. If that is not disagreeing with radically negative opinions, I don't know what it is.
Also, Sasami-san@Ganbaranai was legit good, if anything, it got a little bit melodramatic towards the end, but it was still good in my book.
Feb 7, 2018 2:36 AM

Oct 2015
Death Note's last 1/3 arc I particularly liked, possible even more than the first 2/3.

Kodomo no Jikan is a decent melodrama, better than Shigatsu bitches.

Yosuga no Sora, same as above.

Then of course, like Mamster said

Welcome to the world of Ecchi

Other than that, not really sure. Need to see all my list to remember...

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Feb 7, 2018 2:37 AM

Apr 2013
I liked the Endless Eight a considerable amount. :/
Feb 7, 2018 2:37 AM

Oct 2010
People criticize all known anime, I just don't care.
Like the old American saying: sticks and stones can break my bones or something like that
Feb 7, 2018 2:44 AM

May 2009
* enjoyed Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within
* don't hate Asterisk War or Guilty Crown
* actually enjoyed Karen Senki
* Stratos 4 is one of my highest-rated series
* Kiddy Grade as fave
* Atelier Escha & Logy, while rushed, is still quite enjoyable and charming
* the more I think about Absolute Duo the more I actually like it

-Lofn- said:
Yosuga no Sora
This is turning out to be very attuned to the characters' emotions, and I really appreciate this.

FWIW I plan on watching Regalia. I know it's rated a 6 but I seemed to enjoy the first episode.

FWIW I often find it interesting to watch series that people trash.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 7, 2018 2:45 AM

Oct 2013
How much time do you have, because it'll take a while to name everything I didn't think was nearly as bad as people made them sound.
Feb 7, 2018 2:46 AM

May 2009
Polychrome said:
Oh yeah how could I forget this? I actually watched all of it. I knew what was coming, I watched all of it, and I liked it. And even more, I actually would have wanted them to play the exact same footage with even more subtle differences. I actually would have enjoyed a more intense troll job.
Feb 7, 2018 2:50 AM

May 2009
Also!

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS is my favorite of the three main Nanoha series.

I liked the series even more when she grew older and became a military professional. Strangely, I didn't like her character much at first (and she's not too central to the plot this time around), but then gradually warmed up to her after watching the series.

I like the political intrigue in the story.

I also really like the pacing. People say it's slow. But that's because I get to hang out with the characters and get to know them, before stuff goes crazy.
Feb 7, 2018 2:57 AM

Apr 2013
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Polychrome said:
Oh yeah how could I forget this? I actually watched all of it. I knew what was coming, I watched all of it, and I liked it. And even more, I actually would have wanted them to play the exact same footage with even more subtle differences. I actually would have enjoyed a more intense troll job.
My reasons for liking it are the same. I've watched it all twice and would gladly add to that count. And yeah even more differences would've been great, I felt like they actually toned it down somewhat after the fifth episode.
Feb 7, 2018 3:08 AM

Mar 2017
School Days isn't that bad.
Yosuga no Sora is good.
Guilty Crown is an ok anime which I enjoyed quite a lot.
Mirai Nikki is not that bad either.
Feb 7, 2018 3:12 AM

Dec 2017
squirrvev said:
Hello there. Have you ever been in a situation where an anime you like is heavily criticized by most people ? For example, Mekakucity Actors and Sasami-san@Ganbaranai are commonly referred to as "Shaft trainwrecks". When I started watching them I was a bit worried because of that. However, I ended up really liking them. Have you ever been in a similar situation ? If yes, then what anime did you really like despite it having a low score and generally bad opinion ?

Guilty crown is okay
Mirai nikki is good
Sword art online deserve atleast 7 score
Shigatsu not really that shit
Angel beats is okay

And fuck the hipster.
Feb 7, 2018 3:25 AM

Dec 2017
Well if I think about it, any anime has its haters. That doesn't mean it's a bad anime or a masterpiece anime. It all depends on your opinion if you liked it or not. MAL scores don't really matter when it comes to that, if you really enjoyed the anime then a negative opinion shouldn't affect you. Different people have different tastes, after all. We can't all be the same.
Feb 7, 2018 3:30 AM

Dec 2017
i’m enjoyed Berserk 2016-2017, the rating isn’t that low though for an abomination that is 3D, but i can feel the hate towards this kind of 3D. i enjoyed both of them back when it’s still airing, i always waited for these.
Feb 7, 2018 3:47 AM

Sep 2017
garzey's wing has a mean score of 4.10 but is one of my favorite anime
Edward Elric > your waifu

Feb 7, 2018 3:58 AM

Nov 2014
In most cases, people tend to hyperbolise their language to stand out. I disagree with almost all statements that go along the lines of an anime being utter filth and being the worst thing in existence.

-Lofn- said:
Wait, people hate Yosuga no Sora? I'm not even sure, because I've never heard anyone talk about it, ever.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 7, 2018 3:59 AM

Oct 2015
BurningSpirit said:

-Lofn- said:
Wait, people hate Yosuga no Sora? I'm not even sure, because I've never heard anyone talk about it, ever.
Have seen, and that mean score doesn't lie. Obviously it won't be, it's not really a known anime.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Feb 7, 2018 6:09 AM
Aug 2016
If this thread's title was "Disagreeing with radically positive opinions", it'd be hella easier to answer.
Feb 7, 2018 6:17 AM

May 2017
FLCL is enjoyable even though it makes no sense sometimes

Feb 7, 2018 6:20 AM

Sep 2014
Aslt said:
If this thread's title was "Disagreeing with radically positive opinions", it'd be hella easier to answer.

I believe you're right, but I'm questionning the existence of radically positive opinion about an anime. Because all the highly praised anime also receive a ton of hate. It's not rare to see several overrated thread of them.
Feb 7, 2018 6:34 AM

Nov 2007
Polychrome said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
My reasons for liking it are the same. I've watched it all twice and would gladly add to that count. And yeah even more differences would've been great, I felt like they actually toned it down somewhat after the fifth episode.

Endless Eight is the reason why Disappearance can be considered a Masterpiece. At least I know my enjoyment of Disappearance wouldn't be as grand if I hadn't experienced Endless Eight.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 7, 2018 7:20 AM

Feb 2015
SHAFT?

Okay, shall we start why Koufuku Grafitti is better than gatari series?
Feb 7, 2018 7:23 AM
Oct 2017
a lot of people think school days is bad and clannad is good, so you just have to realize a lot of people don't know what they're talking about
Feb 7, 2018 7:39 AM

Dec 2016
So glad to read I was not the only one who actually found Endless 8 in Haruhi Suzumiya to be a noteworthy thing. I wasn't bothered by it at all, to the contrary, I just loved how it essentially was trolling the viewer on purpose.
Feb 7, 2018 8:04 AM

Mar 2017
EcchiKingMamster said:
welcome to the world of an ecchi/fanservice/moe fan

never have such words resonated with me :')

there's your answer OP
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Feb 7, 2018 8:16 AM

Jul 2017
Guilty Crown is pretty bad but it ain't gonna stop me from liking it

Other than that it's just those damn sjws bashing everything i like

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Feb 7, 2018 8:29 AM
Aug 2017
Fairy Tail and the second half of Death note. Fairy Tail was actually ok, Death note' second half was amazing
Feb 7, 2018 8:50 AM

May 2009
divineElla said:
Guilty Crown is an ok anime which I enjoyed quite a lot.
Alarice said:
Guilty crown is okay
AmMar-Sama said:
EDIT: Guilty Crown is also worth mentioning. Apparently the anime gets a lot of hate, but I thought it was pretty good.
lazypigz said:
Guilty Crown is pretty bad but it ain't gonna stop me from liking it

I went into watching Guilty Crown knowing that people hated it, and I...actually wanted to like and kinda still do, actually. Despite already having watched it.

There's a lot of interesting elements, and it sorta annoys me that I can't quite separate to what extent my lack of enjoyment is based on the storytelling being ineffective vs. based on other people telling me it's bad. I've actually kinda wanted to rewatch the show just to sort this out, and because I want to see the parts I liked more. So far I've rewtached 3 episodes.

So far I've kinda sorted out at least that I don't like the school scenes and the "Shu turning bad" arc, and also very definitely wish the Ayase became the protag for the last arc of the show.

lazypigz said:
Other than that it's just those damn sjws bashing everything i like
I dunno where you hang out but it's a rare day that I see any of them at all, much less "bashing everything I like".

On the other hand, the (vocal) mainstream of the anime fandom tends to bash stuff simply for being popular, cliché, or whatever. And I quite disagree with that. It's like, people bash isekai and harem because it's the in thing now or something, and it was the same way with moë. Meanwhile people keep on praising stuff only because it's "unique" or "different". (And I'm not even a huge fan of any of those elements!)

Don't need "damn sjws" bashing things; the fans bash them already!

So after a while you get people criticizing/dismissing a series just because it's similar to another. Just to use the one represented in my avatar as an example, people criticized Angel Beats because a few elements are shared with Haruhi; people then criticized Charlotte because it shares similarities with Angel Beats. (Look, if you're gonna criticize Charlotte, it should be because while it shares elements with Angel Beats, it's the parts that it doesn't share that are actually the problem, because the plot structures have some noticeable similarities but Angel Beats is able to tie the plot elements together in a common theme more effectively while Charlotte doesn't tie them together.)

I disagree with this approach -- I personally prefer to give each series a consideration on its own. Ideally, without comparisons to other series. So just because fifty other shows have been magical school battle harem shows doesn't mean the 51st show should be ragged on without starting from the same amount of benefit-of-the-doubt. It's normal to get tired of a trope. It's just not fair to say the trope sucks when your dislike of it is just because you're tired of it.
GlennMagusHarveyFeb 7, 2018 9:01 AM
Feb 7, 2018 9:12 AM

May 2009
Also people bash adaptations of videogames but I tend to like them.
Feb 7, 2018 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
Less about anime I enjoy and more about characters I enjoy. I like the unpopular ones.
Feb 7, 2018 10:21 AM

Feb 2015
It happens all the time but I'm not bothered by it because everything in existence is subjective... Reality itself is only our own perception of it... Even something as factual as the sky being blue is only a matter of a our own perspective...

But...

Feb 7, 2018 10:22 AM

May 2015
I like SAO
I like Guilty Crown
I think Fairy Tale is decent

Feb 7, 2018 10:23 AM

Apr 2016
People shouldn't diss others for having a different opinion in anime. It's nothing important. I am sure the "shit taste" joke is ironic...At least I hope so.
Feb 7, 2018 10:32 AM

Sep 2017
The reviews for Owari No Seraph were pretty bad, but I enjoy it an awful lot.

I didn't know Mirai Nikki was hated before coming here. I mean, it wasn't the show of the century, but I still liked it (even though I hate Yuno to no end)
Feb 7, 2018 10:34 AM

Oct 2015
Just ignore the haters at the best, especially elitists (and NO offense, IBO fans) are actually cancer here
Feb 7, 2018 10:41 AM

Jan 2017
Bleach, I still don't understand all the hate towards it. I'd watched quite few shonens but still none comes close to Bleach. Well I mean yeah the final arc was messed up but just one failed arc can't cross all the amazingness of the whole series
Feb 7, 2018 10:45 AM

Jan 2016
I really liked Blood-C and School Days despite seemingly overwhelming negative opinions toward those two anime.
Feb 7, 2018 10:46 AM

Sep 2016
I've seen a lot of hate for School Days and have gotten into a few arguments before with haters. I will always defend this anime and look down upon anyone who doesn't have any valid arguments for criticising the show. You may dislike the characters as much as you want, but if you're going to say that it's a bad anime, then you must point out where the anime is lacking based on things such as writing and character development. If you can't do this, then your opinion belongs in the trash can and you're not qualified to judge the anime, even if you have seen it. And it's no exaggeration to say that 95% of the community isn't qualified.

Polychrome said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Endless Eight is very underappreciated, mostly because of superficial reasons. The same events keep repeating, but each episode is a new experience. I also really enjoyed searching for differences in small details, and the arc itself is entertaining to watch. I still remember the music that plays in the swimming pool and café as if I watched it yesterday. The ominous atmosphere, and Yuki mentioning that the same two weeks happened over 15,000 times gives you this sense of dread and hopelessness that I haven't felt in any other anime. It truly is a work of art and I consider it the best part of the series without any doubt.

shanimebib said:
Polychrome said:

Endless Eight is the reason why Disappearance can be considered a Masterpiece. At least I know my enjoyment of Disappearance wouldn't be as grand if I hadn't experienced Endless Eight.

Disappearance is an outstanding movie, but I always felt that it doesn't rely on Endless Eight much and you don't necessarily have to watch all eight episodes as long as you can understand what is going on.

Feb 7, 2018 10:48 AM

Jan 2017
I was a fan of Fairy Tail for years, so it came with the territory of liking that show. Though I couldn't defend some of the garbage that happened towards the end of the series, especially when I was giving the Dragon Ball Super fanbase shit for the exact same reasons.
Feb 7, 2018 11:13 AM

May 2009
Apoc_Revolution said:
Polychrome said:

Endless Eight is very underappreciated, mostly because of superficial reasons. The same events keep repeating, but each episode is a new experience. I also really enjoyed searching for differences in small details, and the arc itself is entertaining to watch. I still remember the music that plays in the swimming pool and café as if I watched it yesterday. The ominous atmosphere, and Yuki mentioning that the same two weeks happened over 15,000 times gives you this sense of dread and hopelessness that I haven't felt in any other anime. It truly is a work of art and I consider it the best part of the series without any doubt.

To be fair I think that I enjoyed Endless Eight because (1) I actually had at least a certain idea of what was coming, and (2) I enjoy being cleverly trolled like that.

If you're just watching to see how the story continues, and you're not expecting this, then as the weeks go by you're left with feeling more and more uncomfortable.

...which, to be fair, is kinda the point, which is why you have to appreciate that experience. If you don't want that, though, then that could be annoying.

Oh, this example of "interface screw" also reminds me -- I am also a big fan of the TV ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Feb 7, 2018 11:53 AM

Sep 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Apoc_Revolution said:

To be fair I think that I enjoyed Endless Eight because (1) I actually had at least a certain idea of what was coming, and (2) I enjoy being cleverly trolled like that.

If you're just watching to see how the story continues, and you're not expecting this, then as the weeks go by you're left with feeling more and more uncomfortable.

...which, to be fair, is kinda the point, which is why you have to appreciate that experience. If you don't want that, though, then that could be annoying.

Oh, this example of "interface screw" also reminds me -- I am also a big fan of the TV ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Patience is certainly required and I can understand that not everyone enjoys this, but you're missing out on an experience that isn't seen in many other anime if you skip the episodes. It's more about the experience rather than the story in that arc.

I myself, didn't enjoy Neon Genesis Evangelion, especially the ending. I noticed the scores you gave for the TV season and the movie. It's unusual to see someone who likes one, but dislikes the other or vice versa. The entire second half of the movie is similar to the last two episodes of the TV season so I wonder, what is the reason behind those scores...

Feb 7, 2018 11:57 AM

Nov 2008
I get why people hate the ALO arc of SAO but not the rest of it. I think it's great.

I *really* don't get why people hate Guilty Crown.

-Lofn- said:

Kodomo no Jikan is a decent melodrama, better than Shigatsu bitches.

Hah, agreed. It just never got finished in anime form. :[ (cause....they just can't XD)

Feb 7, 2018 12:19 PM

May 2009
Apoc_Revolution said:
Patience is certainly required and I can understand that not everyone enjoys this, but you're missing out on an experience that isn't seen in many other anime if you skip the episodes. It's more about the experience rather than the story in that arc.

I myself, didn't enjoy Neon Genesis Evangelion, especially the ending. I noticed the scores you gave for the TV season and the movie. It's unusual to see someone who likes one, but dislikes the other or vice versa. The entire second half of the movie is similar to the last two episodes of the TV season so I wonder, what is the reason behind those scores...

My comment about Evangelion wasn't directed at you; it was just another example of something that other people tend to hate that I like.

I think I'm just generally more accepting of or generally get more enjoyment out of a story as an "experience", rather than just a narrative log, than the average anime fan. As a result, exact plot details and wording in the script may be less important and aspects like dramatic pacing and emotion may be more important.

As for why I scored the Evangelion TV series vs. End Of the way I did:

The TV ending does two things:

1. It wraps up a narrative theme present through the entire series: Shinji's character development. He finally gains the confidence to move forward with his life, rather than pushing against it like he's done the whole time. After nearly two episodes of wandering the darkness in introspection, with a number of distinctively ambient tracks that contrast rather noticeably with the rest of the soundtrack, it ends, finally, on two music tracks, both remixes of the opening theme song, but with a sense of hope and brightness.

2. It portrays an "after the end" scenario almost perfectly. After fifteen angels of increasingly bizarre designs, of increasingly intimidating awe, employing increasingly devious tactics, there's really nothing that can be shown in the "real world" (in-universe) that can top that. But what can top it is complete "interface screw" presentation. And it is thematically appropriate to the situation -- instrumentality is where people no longer have their bodies but their souls meld together. It makes sense that what is truly "the endgame" in this story is something that you yourself cannot see, but only feel.

The TV ending does not "end on a bang", which is rather strange, but it was also strangely satisfying.

In contrast, End Of does the following:

1. Presents a downer ending for Shinji. He goes crazy. He even tries to strangle Asuka. Nothing goes right for him in the movie. He becomes nihilistic. And the soundtrack for this, the song "Komm Süsser Todd", is basically a cynical, sarcastic ragging of this entire event. Instead of the resolution of Shinji's plot thread, as I mentioned above, this whole thing is just saying "fuck it all! fuck it all!!!" and burning that thread to a crisp and breaking it into crumbs. And just walking away.

2. Giant naked Rei. Remember when I said that there's nothing that can top the awe that the angels increasingly present? Well, giant naked Rei was seriously underwhelming. It was just "okay, here's just some insane imagery".

3. On top of that, it had to fuck over Asuka. She didn't deserve that. She didn't deserve that at all. This is why I'm deeply sympathetic to her. The movie literally skewered her, for no good reason.

Anyway, it's been my impression that people tend to prefer End Of and dislike the TV ending, while some people like both. Liking the TV ending but not End Of seems to be a rather rare opinion.
Feb 7, 2018 1:05 PM

Nov 2008
^ I prefer the TV ending because more than two people live. LOL I hate 'kill 'em all' apocalypse endings. It just feels lazy. :/

Adding to the OP's thread

Kirito is NOT a Gary Stu. Fight me :p

Feb 7, 2018 1:14 PM

Apr 2013
Yes it happens, but usually not with a score as low as 6 something like Sasami-san@Ganbaranai you have here.
Speaking of which, Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 's original material is a novel from Akira. Which means it has like 90% chance to have a very nice source material. Never saw the anime nor read that precise novel, but if the anime respected novels from that author, I can see why you liked it. His style won't please everyone, but he has received more literature prizes in his first few years as an author than most authors get in their whole life. Guy is basically a genius author in his own style, and a very productive one to boot.
Feb 7, 2018 1:20 PM

May 2009
Chiibi said:
^ I prefer the TV ending because more than two people live. LOL I hate 'kill 'em all' apocalypse endings. It just feels lazy. :/

Adding to the OP's thread

Kirito is NOT a Gary Stu. Fight me :p
I'm tempted to watch SAO for the same reason I watched Guilty Crown.

Well, almost the same. Minus the fact that Guilty Crown has some really nice music.
Feb 7, 2018 2:03 PM

Nov 2012
I enjoyed the Foxy arc in One Piece, yes it was basically filler and Foxy was a pretty weak antagonist, but it had fucking Afro Luffy! also the entrance of Aokiji at the end was really hype.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre? ( 1 2 )

decco6226 - May 2

75 by Lucifrost »»
3 minutes ago

» who was your first/best anime waifu?

Coldsp33d - Today

27 by SuperAdventure »»
5 minutes ago

» when introducing yourself to someone new how likely is "I watch anime" to get them interested in you?

Coldsp33d - Today

28 by Dumb »»
7 minutes ago

» What exactly are the perks of having waifu?

SgtBateMan - Today

34 by Dumb »»
11 minutes ago

» Are RisquΓ© Anime Bad for the Industry?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

15 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.