Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 31, 2018 7:52 PM
Jan 2017
Notice how all the characters that monologue about Violet are always talking past-tense? Might mean something...
Jan 31, 2018 7:57 PM

Dec 2016
So maybe I'm just dumb, and maybe this is a little to late to be saying/asking this but Violet is some form of robot right? Or am I dumb, because she was delivered in like a suitcase, pretty much feels no emotions, and doesn't understand emotions either. And her new hands? Or is she just an idiot. Also if she is a robot it's weird literally no one has brought it up at all even once, like to the point it's pretty annoying/retarded. She's also referred to as her, not it, which could just be common courtesy considering Violet is pretty damn humanlike, unless she is an actual human then this entire paragraph is seemingly retarded and pointless lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 31, 2018 7:58 PM

Dec 2017
Nice to see that the both of them got a little closer. It is still an "okay" episode though. Were it not for the beautiful art, this would have been shelved.
Jan 31, 2018 8:06 PM

Nov 2008
TheFreycook said:
So maybe I'm just dumb, and maybe this is a little to late to be saying/asking this but Violet is some form of robot right? Or am I dumb, because she was delivered in like a suitcase, pretty much feels no emotions, and doesn't understand emotions either. And her new hands? Or is she just an idiot. Also if she is a robot it's weird literally no one has brought it up at all even once, like to the point it's pretty annoying/retarded. She's also referred to as her, not it, which could just be common courtesy considering Violet is pretty damn humanlike, unless she is an actual human then this entire paragraph is seemingly retarded and pointless lol

She is a human but she was brought up in a way that makes it hard for her to understand human emotions. She also suffers from PTSD. Her arms were lost in the war so now she has the metal arms.

Jan 31, 2018 8:06 PM

Jan 2013
The fact that Violet was named after the Major saw the flower, made the moment even better.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 31, 2018 8:14 PM

Dec 2016
Chiibi said:
TheFreycook said:

She is a human but she was brought up in a way that makes it hard for her to understand human emotions. She also suffers from PTSD. Her arms were lost in the war so now she has the metal arms.

Yeah, but don't you think the show takes it a little bit TOO far in showing how she literally doesn't understand anything at all about common sense or emotion. Like usually that sort of troupe involves robots or androids, and I think it seems kind of dumb when it is a human
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 31, 2018 8:16 PM

Nov 2007
Wasshio said:
I might want to voice my two cents but I can see why people are complaining about the original filler stuff being added to the series and thus making it feel like it won't reach to its main thing which is apparently Violet's Journey. Which is actually concerning since this might happen again in some instances like for example Phantom World from 2 years ago.

Phantom World was 95% filler.

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 31, 2018 9:02 PM

Nov 2015
What a boring ass episode .
Even devilman crybaby was more interesting than this.

Barely any animation, just digital filters.
Even Darling in the Franxx had more fluid animation and prettier colours than this.

Such a dull MC. Even pop Team epic's MC is a better MC than this moe recycled character design face robo girl.

1/10
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 31, 2018 9:45 PM

Nov 2014
The main character is so dense that it's beginning to stretch credibility, at this point in my mind she's becoming more of a Joke than a tragic figure. The moment where Violet curtsied and said her name with the wind and the leaves sweeping up was so ridiculously over dramatic that I actually laughed, I found myself waiting for the punchline.
I don't know what they changed from the light novel but this is not good, also I know everyone complains about the filters and I'm going to add to that chorus, they make everything look flat and it's hard for the eye to know where to focus.
Forum Signature
Jan 31, 2018 9:49 PM

Nov 2008
TheFreycook said:
Chiibi said:

Yeah, but don't you think the show takes it a little bit TOO far in showing how she literally doesn't understand anything at all about common sense or emotion. Like usually that sort of troupe involves robots or androids, and I think it seems kind of dumb when it is a human

It doesn't seem like that much time in the show's universe has passed since then. I dunno....I'm not well-rehearsed in PTSD either but I know it can really f*ck you up. lol

Jan 31, 2018 9:53 PM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
Wasshio said:
I might want to voice my two cents but I can see why people are complaining about the original filler stuff being added to the series and thus making it feel like it won't reach to its main thing which is apparently Violet's Journey. Which is actually concerning since this might happen again in some instances like for example Phantom World from 2 years ago.

Phantom World was 95% filler.

I didn't knew much details about that or how much filler it was :S so basically almost everything in that was filler.

I mean I enjoyed it but that was a damn shame.
Jan 31, 2018 11:00 PM
Nov 2017
Not a bad episode. Certainly a slower one this time around. Liked how she got her name.
Jan 31, 2018 11:11 PM
Dec 2016
i kind of enjoyed this episode, i like the slow pacing, and i haven't read the source material so i'll wait until this series is over then read the LN

i can't wait for her journey and the character development
Jan 31, 2018 11:51 PM

May 2015
Ummm.....ok? Iris being pretty dramatic here...

Chimerared said:
The moment where Violet curtsied and said her name with the wind and the leaves sweeping up was so ridiculously over dramatic that I actually laughed.

This I'm going to have to agree with. The animation for that curtsy was a little over the top. Did Violet get any lady training when she was in the military? It kind of contradicts Violet's soldier personality unless someone taught her to curtsy that way. A more simple and subtle curtsy would have been much more believable.

Iris....named after a flower...

Violet...also named after a flower...with the surname "Evergarden." How convenient...
Feb 1, 2018 12:10 AM

Aug 2015
I enjoyed watching this episode, and learning more about Iris. I liked that this showed two forms of love, motherly love and unrequited love. I also thought the situation with her mom was relatable, since at a certain age people expect you to be in relationships instead of focusing on your career (although I can see how it's expected of women more during that time). I'm glad Violet is improving her letter writing skills, and I loved the scene where Gilbert named Violet. I want to see more of their past interactions, but I tear up a bit when they do :p

Since I've noticed that not everyone is enjoying the show, I'll be honest and say I'm going into this blind. I don't know what to expect since I haven't read the light novel, though I plan to after the anime ends, but I have been loving the anime so far. I think the slow pace is fine, I'm glad to learn more about the side characters, since most shows never go into their stories at all. The story is flowing nicely, and I think the episodes are slowly adding to the plot. I do understand that the original material is usually a lot better than adaptations, but I think it's still a good show on it's own.
Feb 1, 2018 12:22 AM
Oct 2017
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

I remember when I read the director would be the same as "Kyouka No kanata"

Well, now it's clear why I'm feeling that this anime is really stale.
Feb 1, 2018 12:43 AM
Mar 2014
It's amazing how bad this all is.
Feb 1, 2018 12:47 AM

Mar 2016
The story seems to be episodic. This is not my favorite episode but still not bad. I'm not sure if that scene with wind blows is necessary
kikiabdullFeb 1, 2018 1:51 AM
Feb 1, 2018 1:02 AM

Apr 2012
Cirris said:
RobertBobert said:
To be honest, I was surprised to learn that Iris is a heterosexual girl. Especially given her tomboy type and the fact that this anime is KyoAni. Nevertheless, it was an interesting episode, since we learned that Violet was more perceptive and kind than others could have thought.

It sort of makes sense about how that guy turned her down. He saw her as "one of the boys". or "old friend" as he put it. Not the female love interest he desired.

The fact that he rejected her, seeing only as a friend, does not mean that she is a lesbian.
Feb 1, 2018 1:28 AM

Aug 2015
First time i really looked at what other people are saying about this show. kinda surprised at the amount of hate it has. Enjoyable, although the animation seems a little washed out, like not enough contrast. Apart from that really enjoying this show so far
Feb 1, 2018 1:32 AM
Oct 2015
Slowly by Slowly we are getting Violet is developing as well and at the same time, we get some insight on her co-workers, as far as I'm concerned I love the pacing.
The Irises flowers field, in the end, were too beautiful for my computer to handle and I know it was supposed to look really nice but it looked weird and all on mine.
Heckle was here...
Feb 1, 2018 1:38 AM

Apr 2013
Weakest episode so far and the fact that I dislike Iris just made it worse. I feel this episode is kinda unnecessary
Feb 1, 2018 2:01 AM
Jan 2016
Rather glad I never read the LN, given how people are so displeased at the adaptation. I went into this with no expectations (other than it would have good animation), assumed from the first few episodes that this would be a slice-of-life drama, and am enjoying it as such.
Feb 1, 2018 2:03 AM
Sep 2016
Sorreh said:
lmao Never saw so much hate even with sao.
I can't wait to see her growth

OK...now that's just being a fanboy
Nothing gets more hate than SAO
1.1.Six
Feb 1, 2018 2:20 AM

Sep 2016
Wow Violet finally learned to remove her gloves with her hands. That's like Man of Steel finally not wearing his undies outside his pants. XD

That's a progress.
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Feb 1, 2018 2:24 AM

Dec 2014
Not sure why but this was my favourite episode so far. The first 3 did have me consider dropping VE but I might stick around for a bit longer.

ichii_1 said:
Nice ep for Iris and her name compliments Violet's name as well as both are based on flowers.
The anime original episodes are over now and they should be following the novel's plot from now on.

Is the novel any good?
Feb 1, 2018 2:40 AM

Jun 2016
The side characters continue to be underwhelming. If it wasn't for the visuals, I would have dropped it this episode.

And while it is the best looking show this season, Sora Yori is not too far off - and in terms of story, direction, characters, music.. Sora Yori makes this look like a joke.

Feb 1, 2018 2:48 AM

Apr 2014
hmm?

left hand
|
V
right hand
karmashizzleFeb 1, 2018 2:51 AM
Feb 1, 2018 3:09 AM

Oct 2017
I will just ask to those who read the novel: is this actually going somewhere?

I just feel I experienced 4 episodes of nothingness with a MC that I want to punch in the face and as unique redeeming qualities the breathtaking visuals and a good OST.

I never drop "short" shows but this one is really challenging my patience. That's why I ask.
Feb 1, 2018 3:16 AM

Jan 2016
Haven't read the light novel so I didn't know what to expect, people seem to be disappointed but I'm enjoying this a lot. Watching this while eating breakfast with a cup of tea is so relaxing maybe that's why...

Feb 1, 2018 3:39 AM

Dec 2015
Probably my favourite ED this season.
~
Feb 1, 2018 3:47 AM
Apr 2015
karmashizzle said:
hmm?

What? She extended the left arm to grab something and fell on the right one that was supposed to cushion the impact. Looks like a natural reaction and consequences.

I came here for a melodrama, I've got exactly what I've expected. Fair deal for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FireFistYK said:
Haven't read the light novel so I didn't know what to expect, people seem to be disappointed but I'm enjoying this a lot. Watching this while eating breakfast with a cup of tea is so relaxing maybe that's why...

EDIT: And yeah, I do the same tea and breakfast routine as well, so it might be another reason I'm enjoying it that much. :P
Feb 1, 2018 3:52 AM
Jan 2016
Sorreh said:

MysteriousBanana said:
Rather glad I never read the LN, given how people are so displeased at the adaptation. I went into this with no expectations (other than it would have good animation), assumed from the first few episodes that this would be a slice-of-life drama, and am enjoying it as such.

i found this guy saying something different from the others ln reader https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/7udw0y/spoilers_violet_evergarden_episode_4_discussion/dtjnj26/

Oho, that's interesting, thanks for the insight. I wonder if this means people who become interested in the LN after watching the anime might be disappointed at how the second volume turns out, heh.

karmashizzle said:
hmm?

I believe it's because she injures her hand from falling on it, not because Violet crushes it with her robot hands.
Feb 1, 2018 4:17 AM

Oct 2015
I was expecting some sort of twist that explains why she got friendzoned (im not saying it needs to have an explanation, just for the better plot), or the guy showing up at the last moment, but nah. Basically it was just lots of drama for no good reason at all, imo. It was nice seeing her getting her name from the Major, but other than that, it was just an ok episode.

I've been reading these episode threads, and as far as I understand, the novel is awesome, but the anime is going with anime-original episodes, and maybe there will be no time for her "adventures" to end. If this is true, I can't understand why would they do that? Just give us the original story, if it's so much better.

Feb 1, 2018 4:22 AM

Dec 2014
each episode brings us closer to see violet grow as a person....loved the person
Feb 1, 2018 4:27 AM

May 2010
Oh Iris mellowed this episode. I am starting to like her.
I think the show is slowly improving more and more, really liked this episode.
TragicRomanceFeb 1, 2018 4:37 AM
Feb 1, 2018 4:38 AM

Apr 2014
MysteriousBanana said:

I believe it's because she injures her hand from falling on it, not because Violet crushes it with her robot hands.

ahh~ thought it was a mistake
Feb 1, 2018 4:53 AM
Dec 2016
Nice episode, nice to see Iris become more familiar, also I feel that this is something Kyo Ani added on. Doesn't feel like the actual work from the light novels (haven't read them).
Feb 1, 2018 5:05 AM

Oct 2012
I have literally no clue why so many of you are calling this episode boring. I've been hooked to this show since the first episode. I don't think it's great so far, but definitely above average. Haven't been bored by an episode once.
Feb 1, 2018 5:25 AM

Jan 2017
i think there's something fundamentally wrong with me, whenever there's one of those sort of confession scenes i always play it out like this:

[The Confessor] boy/girl - "I love you"
[The confessed to] boy/girl - "Sorry, I'm (gay/lesbian)"

in this case,

Iris- "I love you"
Emonn- "Sorry, im gay" [in a weird, slightly husky voice]

anyways, on a more normal note.. as a person who is only watching the anime adaptation, I gotta say I'm really enjoying it. It's slow paced but the pace works for it.
Feb 1, 2018 5:29 AM

Apr 2015
Chiibi said:
What's with people going "Nothing happened rawr boring"

Lol, don't ya know how anime like this work?

It's taking its time with each of the characters. We didn't know Iris before. We may not have even liked her. (I didn't) We know her NOW, we are given an explanation as to why she acted coldly towards Violet; she just didn't know how to deal with her, on top of suffering a heartbreak AND being pressured by her family to stop doing what she desires to meet their expectations.

This episode brought Iris and Violet to more of an understanding. Iris isn't going to be as cold to her now and Violet is doing her best to figure out what human emotions are bit by bit with each new person she interacts with.

This isn't hard to piece together. lol

Lelouch0202 said:

I kinda really liked what they did with that puddle that Iris steps into two times in the episode. The first time she steps on it, it's muddy and reflects nothing and dirties her shoe, she steps on it while leaving again but this time it's clear and it doesn't really bother her. Felt that kinda reflected how she came to her home town with mixed feelings and left with a much clearer heart. I felt that was pretty symbolic.

Well analyzed. I picked up on this as well.

The Iris flower viewing was pretty beautiful and I also really liked the flashback to where Violet got her name.

The flashback was sweet; how he spotted that little violet growing by itself and felt it resembled her.

lol read the novel, it is completely different from the anime. Iris and Erica are not in the novel and it focuses more on her adventures rather than staying all in one place and figuring out different kinds of love lol
Feb 1, 2018 5:39 AM

Jan 2017
karmashizzle said:
hmm?

left hand
|
V
right hand

did we even see how she hurt her arm,"no we didn't, i'm pretty sure we didn't"
for all we know Violet never caught Iris' left arm and she fell on her right... which is logical since by thrusting her left arm forward to reach Violet her right will have been drawn back to create power...

so she never got caught and had fallen (the most probable) whereas that would leave the other scenario to be Violet grabbing her with those mechanical arms and crushing her arm
-highly unlikely since she is confident with her general physical ability and
intelligence, which would mean she's probably already estimated her grip
strength (as well as the fact there has been no information on how strong those
arms are, meaning its limit could just be her average arm strength).

P.S.
XDXDXD
when they to find a mistake, but it wasn't

honestly, though...
tidoesstuffFeb 1, 2018 5:57 AM
Feb 1, 2018 5:51 AM

Feb 2014
Not as good as last week's episode, but I still the negativity to be a bit heavy-handed since it's focused on another extra character not from the novel.

At the very least, Iris has learnt to adjust and also understand Violet more after their experience in Iris' hometown. The same goes for Violet understanding Iris more after hearing her backstory about her being rejected and moved to Leiden to become an auto memory doll.

The way Violet introduced herself to Iris' parents was beautifully animated, but a few others think it was overdone. I'd rather have it overdone than being done in a mundane and normal way. At least it catches people's attention a lot more and the scene itself kinda proves that.

The origins of the names for both Iris and Violet was also a nice touch, with both flowers influencing Iris' parents and Gilbert respectively in giving the girls their names. =)

Although with the negativity being strong, I hope that @ichii_1 is correct with his post about the plot now following the novel's. I'm liking the show quite a lot, but if the novel's chapter become better than the episode so far (which most likely would), then I'll like this show even more.
Feb 1, 2018 5:55 AM

Jul 2017
OK correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Violet wants to know the meaning of the words "I love you"! :-p

Now I see how this is going:
-Violet meets X
-X has a problem with a type of love
-Violet says "I want to know what "I love you" means"
-X spills guts
-Violet learns something about love (last week was sibling love and this week was unrequited love).
-Violet writes letter

So instead of monster of the week, it's love of the week (with a bit of flashback story thrown in). With Violet basically the person the story happens around rather than to. I'm in for the animation at least. I don't mind slow stories and hopefully there are some good ones like last week.

To those who've read the novel, what do you mean by adventures? I'm imagining something similar to above, but slightly different:
-X wants letter
-Violet turns up
-X has problem
-Violet solves problem with her new found knowledge (think like Quantum Leap) or military skills (one woman A-Team 😂)
Feb 1, 2018 6:18 AM

Mar 2014
Sweet episode. Iris is very likeable and I liked seeing this episode focusing on her. Also it seems like Violet is getting better at writing heartfelt letters.
Feb 1, 2018 6:21 AM

Aug 2016
This is so beautiful. I kinda regret watching this anime now cause I know it's going to end.

Set by SenpieX
Feb 1, 2018 6:40 AM

Jul 2012
Decent i guess, kinda. Violet's progression through Iris's story, was very predictable (don't know what i was expecting). Hope that something interesting is coming, for now overall it is underwhelming.
Feb 1, 2018 6:57 AM

Sep 2016
Brilliant yet again. I'm enjoying the pace, and thankfully I'm not part of the novel club so can enjoy this even more. Here's to more Violet Evergarden!
Feb 1, 2018 7:11 AM

Mar 2014
Kinda liked this episode besides so many people bashing it.

It seemes as being a lecture for Violet. Even if she didn't intend to hurt another person she did with a little comment. For us the viewership and Iris it is, on the other hand, a lecture to understand her character more and what the motivation for her behaviour is. I think this episode made violet more reachable for the general viewership.

Human emotions are not easy to understand, so I think it is a good thing if Violet has to interact more with other people. She lacks experience with the troubling feelings of life. This episode handled it pretty clever, it used a side character aka co-worker instead of a random customer (which we would have never seen again) and shows different conflict types. The conflict between her family as value conflicts, not wanting her to leave them, not wanting that she's to lie to them, worrying about her future, wishing for her happiness and not being sure if she's choosing the correct way for her life. All these, which can be resolved by talking to each other. Communication. Talking about the feeling we have to understand each other better.

Then there is also the troubling past of Iris, being rejected, not wanting to confront all these problems which have been occurred in her hometown. She's still carrying around all these bad feelings.

Kinda nice the connection that iris but also violet have been named after a flower.
The longer the series goes, I get the feeling that the hidden sadness of Violet is shining more and more through. I can't wait to see the moment when Violet finally will be able to break the barrier around her heart. I really like Violet's character and she fits in to be the main character of this series. Her development is interesting to follow-up on.

The scene with the major must have been striking to him. A scene fitting to start falling in love with someone.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2018 7:15 AM

Jan 2016
Liked this episode a lot, the visuals are stunning like always from Kyoto Animation. Iris is an interesting character, well, atleast to me.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

617 by AMazingWay »»
Apr 22, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.