Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 8, 2018 5:57 PM

May 2017
Characters with absolute 0 flaws (I call them "The perfect human"). The ones that help everyone no matter what and they have the power of god^god^god. Also gets a harem with no reason other than "OMG HES SO STRON N KIND". They never develop. The most tasteless character in my opinion.
「ボクは…確かに現実に絶望している。だけど、自分には絶望していない!! 今がつまらないか…楽しいのか…平凡なのか…決めているのは現実じゃない。決めるのはボクだ!!ボクが望めば不可能はない!!」-桂木桂馬
"True, I've given up on the real world. However, I haven't given up on myself!! The world doesn't get to decide whether my life is boring, fun, or ordinary because that's my decision to make!! As long as I have the will, nothing is impossible!!" -Katsuragi Keima
Jan 8, 2018 6:09 PM
Jun 2016
copyrightRingo said:
Characters with absolute 0 flaws (I call them "The perfect human"). The ones that help everyone no matter what and they have the power of god^god^god. Also gets a harem with no reason other than "OMG HES SO STRON N KIND". They never develop. The most tasteless character in my opinion.

I will agree mostly other then sakamoto :> just something about how he was entertaining as perfect made it interesting :>
Jan 8, 2018 6:29 PM

Dec 2016
-Lofn- said:
Panty shots and shit like those that is unnecessary to the show. I like panty shots, okay. When it's on shows like To Love-Ru, but there are some I've seen some on anime that are dramas. Why tho?
This, honestly, especially during action scenes or drama scenes (*cough* Highschool of the Dead *cough*). Totally kills the immersion and makes me facepalm.
Jan 8, 2018 7:15 PM

Oct 2017
Reading through this thread, I realized that while I like most tropes, there are times when they aren't used correctly or are overused so they get pretty tiring. I guess my answer is each trope is equal in my eyes. Like, I'm trying to list every trope I know.

Tsunderes? Dense male characters? Accidentally stumbling across naked girls/boys? Fanservice? Moms dying in backstory? Friendship? High school setting (actually, this is probably my favorite if it's a trope)? Lolis? Guys falling over on top of girls or vice versa? EHHHHHHH?

Nah, can't choose which one I dislike the most because that tends to fluctuate a lot depending on what I'm watching. There are many times where I enjoy them and hate them. An example is I'll mostly prefer not to have fanservice in fighting anime, but I'm perfectly fine with it if it's for ecchi shows.
OVERPOWERED99Jan 8, 2018 7:22 PM
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Jan 8, 2018 8:46 PM

Nov 2007
Regarding cutting hair, it can be badass as well.

The only character I never want to see in short hair is Katsura. I mean we all know Zura ja nai Katsura da will lose all of its significance. Well, his hair grows pretty fast so it doesn't really matter.

Coming back on topic, my most disliked trope would be guy falling on top of a girl and a cop a feel initiating further development.
shanimebibJan 8, 2018 8:51 PM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 8, 2018 8:55 PM

Nov 2017
Character A says something to Character B in a low voice
Character B asks Character A, "What was that? I couldn't hear."
Character A answers Character B, "It's nothing."

This grinds my gears. Can you not just say anything at all in the first place instead of being a damn tease?
Jan 8, 2018 9:01 PM

Jul 2015
unrealistic juggling boobs, and making the female characters useless, dump, nothing but big boobs bibo winey bitches.
Jan 8, 2018 9:42 PM

Nov 2016
I dislike the violent tsunderes and the guy characters who like them
After being hit and abused and he acts like nothing happened. Its so weird. and most times she doesnt even apologise. they just paint a little red on her cheeks and he smiles like an idiot then says something nice and gets hit again

I especially dislike it when a nice girl is in the love triangle and likes the MC but he chooses the violent flat chested maniac who cant cook
Jan 8, 2018 10:40 PM

Aug 2009
I have an irrational hatred for nose bleeding in anime.
Jan 8, 2018 11:18 PM
Jun 2016
The procurement of a romantic engagement through forceful intimacy with sexual undertones.

Or in short and language I actually understand: Force yourself on someone long enough and it'll eventually become consensual

Sukkite Ii na yo is a good example of this (and probably my poor spelling of japanese words)
Jan 8, 2018 11:20 PM
Jun 2016
Oh also, people getting really emotional about their crushes. This drastically decreased the quality of my experience with Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, because the Tsubaki was more upset about her crush moving away, than she was about a certain event of grave consequence.
Jan 8, 2018 11:24 PM
Jun 2016
Coronmira said:

This grinds my gears. Can you not just say anything at all in the first place instead of being a damn tease?
Oh my god yes. THIS is what we need to purge from the anime industry most of all.

Even my favourite anime, Koe no Katachi, does a variation of it (it earns it and makes more sense in context, but still not a pleasant scene)
Jan 8, 2018 11:35 PM

Mar 2016
BETA MC till the end in a Harem story... it's too damn painful to read
Jan 8, 2018 11:37 PM

Jun 2017
Deknijff said:
NihilisticLoner said:
I'm joking.
I just find it silly that your reason for why you dislike an anime trope is because you prefer girls with longer hair.
I mean. I could say also that the trope is lazy in its representation of a character's inner change since if a character changes it should be apparent by their actions or beliefs instead of it being a physical thing. But I don't really care about talking about that too much as its not as important
when long hair makes all the difference in sexiness

Misaka is not made to be "sensual", if you want to make a sexy character, no matter if the hair is long or short, your comparison is very stupid and it does not make sense

Jan 8, 2018 11:42 PM

Oct 2013
GhoulEto said:
Misaka is not made to be "sensual", if you want to make a sexy character, no matter if the hair is long or short, your comparison is very stupid and it does not make sense
Not made?
its not a matter of if or not here. She is just sexier with long hair plain and simple. Not hard to understand at all
Jan 8, 2018 11:49 PM

Apr 2017
Deknijff said:
GhoulEto said:
Not made?
its not a matter of if or not here. She is just sexier with long hair plain and simple. Not hard to understand at all

it's sexier because it was created to be sexy, your comparison does not make any sense.
Jan 9, 2018 12:02 AM

Mar 2015
HaXXspetten said:
Introverted bookworms, ice queens and yamato nadeshikos: they all tend to end up with the personality of a piece of cardboard that add absolutely nothing of value to the show on their own

try this, allof characte rmostly one lined definition cardboard (i mean, it is in their name!), somewhat still make character relationship very engaging...

https://myanimelist.net/manga/99007/Komi-san_wa_Comyushou_desu
https://myanimelist.net/manga/89467/Hitoribocchi_no_%E2%97%8B%E2%97%8B_Seikatsu

okay, here is mine

misFUCKINGunderstood that taken seriously that dragged for plot convinience when it can simply resolved by a little comunication...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 9, 2018 12:07 AM

Jan 2017
tsunderes in general. Some of them are ok, but when they get jealous without a *good* reason, it really sucks
Jan 9, 2018 11:13 PM
Jun 2016
Okay this is one anime related, but I'm so sick of every time conan is trying to solve a mystery the others complain about him being in the way. Always one part of the bad detective hitting him, and ran or someone else pulling him away.
Jan 10, 2018 12:54 AM
Jul 2018
When a guy walks in on a girl changing/bathing/etc. and she attacks him.
Jan 10, 2018 1:30 AM
Jun 2016
Gamboge said:
The only trope that I hate with a searing passion is when a girl hits a guy over a misunderstanding.

Yeah especially when it's the girls fault, like all the times a guy sees a girl because she's obliviously bending over, or does things right infront of them.
Jan 10, 2018 3:20 AM

Sep 2017
wolfwing said:
Gamboge said:
The only trope that I hate with a searing passion is when a girl hits a guy over a misunderstanding.

Yeah especially when it's the girls fault, like all the times a guy sees a girl because she's obliviously bending over, or does things right infront of them.

Or she forgets that locks are actually a thing

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Jan 10, 2018 3:23 AM

Nov 2017
A well behaved child is a blessing for its family and its show, but nothing makes me drop a show faster than smart talking, misbehaving kids.
All Dubs must die!

"Its 2017 and anime is still legal. What the fuck is congress doing" - Totalbiscuit

Jan 10, 2018 8:05 AM

Jan 2014
Beach episodes. Festival episodes. They're so annoyingly unoriginal.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 10, 2018 8:48 AM

Mar 2012
School. I don't hate it, but I'm increasingly bored by it as a primary setting. Probably some combination of aging and having watched too many anime set in school. God damn mysterious transfer students.

A few other key words that, when they appear in synopses, make it likely I will not watch the show include: dead/absent parents, trapped in/transported to virtual reality/another world, forgotten childhood friends/memories/traumas, NEET/shut-in, magical girlfriend/magical boyfriend, and idols.

Zelev said:
I generally agree, but would add that beaches and festivals can be excellent settings. They're just usually used lazily as part of a copy-and-paste job. Two shows that come to mind when I think of excellent festival episodes/arcs are The Tatami Galaxy and Eccentric Family.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 10, 2018 8:53 AM

Jan 2014
Josh said:
School. I don't hate it, but I'm increasingly bored by it as a primary setting. Probably some combination of aging and having watched too many anime set in school. God damn mysterious transfer students.

A few other key words that, when they appear in synopses, make it likely I will not watch the show include: dead/absent parents, trapped in/transported to virtual reality/another world, forgotten childhood friends/memories/traumas, NEET/shut-in, magical girlfriend/magical boyfriend, and idols.

Zelev said:
I generally agree, but would add that beaches and festivals can be excellent settings. They're just usually used lazily as part of a copy-and-paste job. Two shows that come to mind when I think of excellent festival episodes/arcs are The Tatami Galaxy and Eccentric Family.

True, I probably should have specified those generic festivals generally used in romance anime.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 10, 2018 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
Tsundere annoying kinda bitchy characters. Hope those qualify.
Jan 10, 2018 9:32 AM
Jul 2018
The trope that I hate the most goes like follows:

Generic MC walks into random room, Sees nude girl

"Ahh, sorry, this was a misunderstanding!"

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, YOU HENTAI! F*** YOU!" *Slap*

Girl continues to play a major role in story and holds grudge against MC.

Then,

Girl: MC-kun... MARRY ME!
Jan 10, 2018 9:43 AM
Jul 2018
My most disliked trope is the one where perseverance automatically equates to victory, found very frequently in Shonen Jump manga.
Jan 10, 2018 9:50 AM
Jul 2018
One more trope is the power of friendship trope, commonly found in FT and shows like that. There is also the obligatory training arc which somehow turns someone OP enough to beat their adversary, within ridiculous amounts of time like it took Ichigo 3 days to beat mother flipping Byakuya (IDC if you say, Hollow Ichi techincally cheated, he still won against one of the most OP captains).
Jan 10, 2018 9:55 AM

Jan 2018
Most anime is Shonen, in the sense that most anime is primarily targeted towards boys aged 12-17, simply as the largest demographic pool. This fact I think is actually very important and I think often gets overlooked when analyzing anime tropes. It allows us to better understand the intentions and motivations behind the tropes themselves.

A lot of guys in this age range are horny, while simultaneously being insecure about themselves and sex/relationships, especially the sort of people that are into anime. This defines many of the tropes we commonly see in anime where you have a token male protag (in order to make him as relateable as possible) and a bunch of hot anime girls falling in love with him, teasing him, doing dirty shit in front of him, but never really leading to real commitment or sex because maybe the viewer is insecure about that sort of thing. Obviously not every show is like this, but it feels like this trope is almost always lingering to some degree whenever I watch Shonen. I think these tropes have their perks, but I would like to see more experimentation, especially with the male protags.
Jan 10, 2018 10:01 AM

Jul 2017
Hmm... Probably...

- When a tsundere went way too far. Like one of the main characters of Psychic School Wars. My god... She was way too much towards that guy. I did kinda like her throughout the movie but still.
- When a guy who wants to do romantic sexual tension by forcing you. Ugh, I hate guys like that... (Unless they're not being too forceful)
- Guy falls on girl and accidentally touched her breasts. Way too overused. And I would totally punch that guy too.
- Characters who are way TOO perfect. Nope, I hate characters like that. They're too bland. (Sakamoto doesn't qualify since that's the premise of the whole show)
- Way too many misunderstandings. Like Gamers. I enjoyed it but wow, the amount of non-stop misunderstandings annoyed me a bit.

Coronmira said:

^I also agree on this one.

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Jan 10, 2018 10:02 AM

Mar 2016
I hate that one too, OP.

I hate it when women slap the men in the show. I don't know what it is with Japanese people but they seem to love slapping each other.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2018 10:12 AM

Apr 2017
Abusive tsunderes with 0 personnality.

Shy and useless MCs.

And much more, I can't remember the marjority of them.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Jan 10, 2018 11:37 AM

Jun 2011
I think... I hate all girls looking moe as a trope.

I wish there were more diverse female character designs. Girls being valued for more than cuteness would be nice...
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 10, 2018 5:56 PM

Jul 2017
When a character cares way to much about someone they just met. Like that one part in A certain scientific railgun when Kazari meets that new girl and that whole dog shit thing happens were she ignores her friends theory and idea for this new girl she legit just met or in Beautiful bones during that festival were Yuriko finds that note and then that ep plot goes on.

I fucking hate when that shit happens
Jan 10, 2018 6:16 PM
Berserkfan69

May 2017
Every shounen trope, most RomCom tropes, and the generic tsundere.
Jan 10, 2018 6:31 PM

Jun 2017
That one where a bunch of losers complain about anime tro-, oh wait...
I'm a shitposter for fun
Jan 10, 2018 9:08 PM
Nov 2017
I don't know if this is exactly an anime trope, but I don't like scenes in anime that have 5+ characters in a single frame that for some reason all have to give their own opinion on something.
It just seems like bad planning to have every character make a statement just because they are visible in the frame.
These often happen in shounen anime, and unfortunately, I don't have a good example.
Jan 10, 2018 11:46 PM
Jun 2017
Vampires. I don't know why really, but I think I just got over my "vampire phase". I tried watching Vampire Knight a while ago and I just got bored real quick. :/
Jan 10, 2018 11:59 PM
Jun 2016
chareexnicole said:
Vampires. I don't know why really, but I think I just got over my "vampire phase". I tried watching Vampire Knight a while ago and I just got bored real quick. :/

On a simular one, Kemono :> I like them ocasionally, but I want more anime with full animal looking guys/girls. ears and maybe a tail don't make a animal.
wolfwingJan 11, 2018 12:05 AM
Jan 11, 2018 3:43 AM

Dec 2013
oo boy here i go
->unnecessary fanservice
->harems
->90% of isekais
->the mc shounen troupe-i wont kill no matter what thingy
->lolis
->most females are 1d
->entering a room where a girl/s is changing clothes
->beach episodes
->tsunderes

i really can tolorate all of these if the PLOT is actually good-but most anime waste their potential.
Jan 11, 2018 9:21 AM

Jan 2013
[anything unexpected happens]
"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!?" louder than the sound of a rock concert next to an airport
Jan 11, 2018 10:25 AM

Mar 2012
Tsunderes of all sexuality, genders, forms and types (with the exception of a few non-abusive ones). Also all the typical tropes that come in for the sake of the so called "development" of tsunderes.

Fanservice related tropes - includes ecchi fanservice, fujo-baiting/fujo-pandering.

The power of friendship - defeating strong opponents who just beat the crap out of you just by remembering your friends.
Jan 11, 2018 10:30 AM

Nov 2012
Primary_Senpai said:
When a girl beats a guy without a good reason, don't get me wrong. some shows get it right and the guy gets hit because he's an idiot but shows like Nisekoi take it to the next level and beatings become greetings and it basically ruined the show for me.

This. Especially when the guy trips and falls and lands on the girl's boobs or something.
Feb 4, 2018 5:08 AM

Nov 2014
When a random gust of wind pops out of nowhere to add drama to a scene by making hair flow.
The fact that food is always really fucking good and whenever a character cooks for another they can't just say "yo that's pretty good" they have to fucking yell "UMAAIIIIIII" like a moron.
Using big tits as a source of comedy, I don't find big tits inherently funny.
Characters (mostly females) being violent for no reason.
When a show pusses out of a hard scene by having some random outside force interrupting it.
When a serious show acts self-aware for aa brief moment.
Deknijff said:
the trope of cutting hair as a sign to symbolise character change

any author who does that gets less respect from me honestly.
cutting hair in general too but its not really a trope so

Yo what show is that?
Feb 4, 2018 5:20 AM

Oct 2013
Touniouk said:
Deknijff said:
the trope of cutting hair as a sign to symbolise character change

any author who does that gets less respect from me honestly.
cutting hair in general too but its not really a trope so
Yo what show is that?
its from Avatar the legend of Korra.
Feb 4, 2018 8:33 AM

Aug 2015
I'm personally not a fan of kuudere main girls that stay that way.

❝ falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. ❞
()
Feb 5, 2018 1:10 AM

Oct 2015
wolfwing said:
Mine has to be the one where a char sees another girls panties or naked, and then gets assaulted/introuble, especially when it's not the chars fault but the idiot char thats changing in the males room for no reason or other things.

I totally agree, it's really annoying
Feb 5, 2018 1:13 AM

Jun 2011
I hate when female characters turn around and have the boobs jiggle and it is not even an ecchi.

And recently I found, omg I hate it when they show this weird lip gloss effect in some anime. Sailor Moon Crystal being one of them that does this. And there is now more than one anime who does this weird lip/teeth thing.

I also hate crazy eyes in hentai or other anime. Just... no. And I hate tongues sticking out when it is not in a Sailor Moon cute nyeh way. I hate seeing tongues before the lips even touch during some anime kisses. It is gross. And the more they do it, the worse it is. Major squick.

Showing teeth excessively actually is rooted very heavily in watching this movie "the dentist" when I was too young. At least your nails grow back.
Energetic-NovaFeb 5, 2018 1:19 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

34 by ETHANDARYL420 »»
1 minute ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 4 hours ago

19 by BitChilly »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

45 by Coaghim »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 9 hours ago

12 by rohan121 »»
10 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

65 by Pinoffin »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.