Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Feb 13, 2018 7:24 AM

Aug 2009
DonnyJaBronie said:
I mean I liked it for the most part, but the ending didn't come off as deep or amazing or heart wrenching, just sorta dissatisfying. Maybe this just isn't my style, I don't need a happy ending but that ending just felt... Rushed. Confusing. Mediocre. The motivations don't make sense to me at all and it just felt edgy. It was a good story but yeah, just really mediocre towards the end imo. 7/10 from me

I can explain the motivations if you think they don't make sense.

Feb 14, 2018 1:36 PM

Sep 2014
that was a hell of a ride to watch! Really refreshing to get something outstanding like this.

But Im not really pleased with this ending. It all seems .. useless. I fits totally, but only because the later half was a giant clusterfuck.
Its also a weird mix of having nice characters which feel almost like real humans and not caring at all about their deaths because it moved on so fast.

I overall feel it should have been standard 12ep and thus 2 episodes longer. I dont want to say rushed because that had its own appeal, but it could have been better in every way. Like why is it even important to know the devil is called amon, and his lover and the other demons when in the end it all came down to Satan crying about loosing the one guy he loved. And then God nukes everything. Again.

I really liked watching it, I want more of it, but I really doubt we will get another adaption in the next decade and I also probably will never watch this again. But thanks anyway Netflix. 7/10
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 17, 2018 5:50 PM

Aug 2008
Honestly I rather hated this anime from the art, the characters and the stupid plot. It seems its just "edgy" with the violence and nudity and its pretentious and pessimistic story of humanity. With each passing episode I got more and more pissed off especially in the second half of the show. The whole story was frankly absurd and I only stuck through it all through some kind of masochism of my own. Its over though and I will not understand why this has the praise that it does.

Perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad if it had a little more meat on its bones but as these 10 episodes were so damn thin it made what might have been a mediocre anime for me to being a teeth grinding experience. Guess I need to wait for next season of Castlevania to get anything decent from Netflix...
Feb 18, 2018 5:28 AM

Jan 2018
man, it felt too rushed and too short. I didn't mind all the sexual scenes but you could spot boobs everywhere. the gore wasn't a problem either because of the art and the yellow "blood". it could've been more, it was plain and you could almost predict everything from episode 3 onward or something. it had a pretty good vibe though 6.5/10.
Feb 18, 2018 9:43 AM

Apr 2017
What a lovely show It the best thing Netflix has ever done.It is weird that that killing Miki and Taro wasn't emotional for me but Ryo talking to Akira and noticing that he has passed away and asking him about this weird emotions got me very hard I cried a lot.
solidssFeb 18, 2018 9:46 AM
Feb 18, 2018 10:37 AM

Jun 2015
rvbrick said:
No, this wasn't an adaptation of the manga. Nor did they remain entirely faithful to the themes of the manga. They did adapt a few moments but changed them around, most of this was anime original.

Anywho, solid 7/10 anime. I really wish they would've left out some of the more juvenile stuff (i.e. the rappers, Akira's demon sex drive) but as a whole it was pretty good. I would honestly say the manga and its two OVA adaptations are far, far superior though. A lot of the nuances were lost. The only character that really got any meaningful development in this was Ryou. Ryou's relationship with Akira might be the only thing this anime does better than any other Devilman anime, since for once it does actually feel like they're friends.

I think the ending was kind of fumbled, although at the same time I did really enjoy the last two episodes. It didn't quite capture the apocalyptic feel and oppressive horror of the manga's final act.

Leave that out? Those were some of the best stuff. Those rappers had bars.

Feb 18, 2018 1:41 PM

Dec 2012
adios said:
Sakaitsu said:
The last part with Ryo and Akira was well done, but I wonder why God was so long to purify all demons.

Zip_Zip said:
Yeah God took his sweet time, should have nuked Ryou before he grew tits and wings.

I think God took his time to see if Ryo will learn something from this. In the end he does. Like Yuasa said in one of his recent interviews, Akira is there to teach Ryo something.

Yes, I think you are right. It makes more sense.
Feb 18, 2018 7:02 PM
Jul 2018
Well....that was interesting. I honestly don't know what I feel about this show. I guess I liked it's style? Was so gosh darned random, and a lot of WTF moments. Definitely got me in the feels. The action and over-the-top gore was oddly satisfying. But even so...
I need something happy and cute and cheerful to cleanse my soul from that fucked-up-ness of an anime.
Feb 21, 2018 2:06 AM
Jun 2015
This is the best anime of 2018 so far and no over use of after effects and hair animation anime will say otherwise. The visceral, surreal imagery and fantastic art and to top it off it has pretty good animation and a nice sound track as well. I liked most of the supporting character's and felt their motives were presented well enough for this type of anime. The only character's I didn't really like was Ryou. He was a pretty shady guy since the first episode and while I liked his progression of maliciousness towards humanity into someone that learns to love Akira in the end I think his back story between him and God could have been explained better.
15poundfishFeb 21, 2018 2:09 AM
Feb 21, 2018 7:51 PM

Jul 2013
And what did I say about Ryo being the biggest and baddest devil? Damn even I can't believe it. This anime is something. I like it.
Feb 23, 2018 8:36 AM
Dec 2017
I must say, Devilman Crybaby was a wild ride for me. Before I say more, I have to confess - I've never been a fan of... I guess watching stuff. TV series, movies... even anime, which is my favourite medium, was only there for me in a few series I loved and watched throught the years. Only recentely I got into it a lot more and completed a few more shows and plan to do so more often now. With that established, know that because I do not have much comparison, my view might be subjective.

To the point now. Wow. Shows that end in such fashion, without your cliche happy ending, are the ones that stay with me in that form of "after-series hangover" the longest. The death of Miki, as well as other characters, were the most brutal I've ever seen in an anime. I guess that because I've never read the manga or seen the older adaptations, I didn't really expect all these things to happen, which made me even more shocked when these occured. The ending was very emotional, mostly because both Akira and Ryo were strongly established as unique characters, which made it even harder to hold my tears. I won't make it any more longer, as this is not a thread for reviews, but rather for discussion about the last episode, but because it is the conclusion of the whole series, I'll give out my rating for the show, not just the episode. There were a few minor things that bothered me, that's why I'll give it 9/10. Is it that high because I have no experience and comparison? Perhaps, but that's honestly how I feel from deep within my heart right now, and I don't want to lie to myself.
Feb 24, 2018 7:58 AM

Jan 2011
glad an anime like this is produced for the manga, thanks Netflix?

some things added in the anime have nice effect, such as the running, Miko, Taro's transformation, the rappers, mobile phones etc

the name "Cry Baby" is also interesting, even Ryo turned into one at the end :)
Feb 25, 2018 4:27 AM

Feb 2009
15poundfish said:
This is the best anime of 2018 so far and no over use of after effects and hair animation anime will say otherwise.

Ha, nice one! I haven't seen that show yet, but animated bits on sakugabooru look dull and seem like antithesis to "storytelling through animation" approach that Yuasa employs.
Feb 26, 2018 12:56 AM

Dec 2014
Wait this s it…I am so not liking this…never was a good fan of sad and despair ending…in the end all the devilman died and when the devils remain they were punished by god and I guess earth was reborn again….. makes you think what’s the purpose of it all was…truly somewhat a good series…it makes you think….screw that… I watched for some closure all I got was how evil prevails and when it destroys everything it also comes to nothing……. Quite mad at the ending….hmmmm (angry face) times like these you start to wonder why isn’t their an emoji option
Feb 26, 2018 3:32 PM

Oct 2015
That was a sad ending, everything destroyed and Akira died. I guess in the end Ryo did love Akira, that he would cry for him in the end. I didn't expect for Ryo to be the antagonist, kinda reminded me of Griffith's betrayal to Guts. Overall I think this series pulled no punches in telling the story, eliminating characters left, right and center ( wished Miki lived though). There were many sad moments especially when Mimi died and her family's death made cry, showing how cruel this anime was. It didn't even favor the protagonist nor the heroine, how gruesome ( even that earring was worthless in protecting them).

I loved the art and the naked gruesome truth it contained. Also I forgot about the raps, damn they were so so really cool I wanted to hear more.

9/10.

lihle808Feb 26, 2018 3:38 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 26, 2018 7:57 PM

Sep 2014
It was fun to experience something new but this won't be my go-to kind of anime. Still a 7/10, I did enjoy it for what it is
Mar 1, 2018 9:43 PM

Jul 2013
The ending and music was a 10/10 for me, I wish I could say the same for the rest of the show. I really wish someone other than Yuasa had directed this.
Mar 3, 2018 1:23 AM

Nov 2014
deku2 said:
The only thing that I didn't completely understand, did the world like "reset" at the final scene? Because that was the feeling I got.
MrHawky said:
Not sure, but I think the moons are the previous earths, because in the first info dump where we see the demon earth there was no moon present (I seem to remember it that way), so after the earth faced destruction the first time it became a moon and a new one took its place. That's what happened here, pretty sure.
Well, I hate to be that guy, but scientific consensus is that our moon was created from a large impact that flung chunks from the surface of the earth into orbit and eventually gathered into the moon.

We're not sure what exactly it was in our world, but according to the show at least, God blew up the earth and whenever he did a moon was made.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Mar 6, 2018 1:20 PM

Jan 2018
At least Satan has a nice rack. Tripy anime. 9/10
Mar 8, 2018 1:46 AM

Jun 2017
The ending made me cry.
What a great anime.
(@_____@)
Mar 8, 2018 12:49 PM

Feb 2015
Urgh... really not a fan of everyone dying in shows, it's not good for my heart... other than that, a reallly enjoyable anime! I just wish it had abit more action.

I think I might read the manga and see the differences.
Mar 9, 2018 7:49 AM
Nov 2015
10/10
Make me wonder if the final fight between Guts and Griffith would end like this.
Mar 9, 2018 3:39 PM

Mar 2009
Wow, another "mirai nikki" kind of anime with the "all died" at the end, what a waste of time watching this.

Hellbender87 said:
....and say that it is currently the best of 2018.

Nah, darling in the franxx looks way better (in my opinion) for being in one of the best.
ArubaMar 9, 2018 3:45 PM
Mar 12, 2018 8:45 AM

Jan 2015
That surprised me a lot. They all died lol. The moment and the ost when Akira attacks from up was powerful. 7/10.
Mar 12, 2018 8:46 AM

Jan 2015
Xxx_Otaku_xxX said:
10/10
Make me wonder if the final fight between Guts and Griffith would end like this.

Loool, I have been thinking that too. XD
Mar 13, 2018 1:01 AM

Jul 2016
Aruba said:
Wow, another "mirai nikki" kind of anime with the "all died" at the end, what a waste of time watching this.

Hellbender87 said:
....and say that it is currently the best of 2018.

Nah, darling in the franxx looks way better (in my opinion) for being in one of the best.

Think this is a waste of time anime but then proceed to list a show about sex starved teenagers in giant mechs as something better.

Yep...
Mar 14, 2018 10:09 PM

Jul 2017
Well that was super disturbing, and also kind of rushed and weird. The end fighting with the Earth having all these explosions really looked like some flash stuff. The art really seemed to get screwy in this last episode. At times, it had a nice simplicity. At other times, it just seemed bland and too basic.

I pretty much expected Akira to die when he entered the battle, and that's what happened. It still messed me up though. The moon thing was kind of cool, with the moon being the past Earth.

I agree with some previous posters that the hysteria that led to the end of the world seemed really overblown and almost nonsensical. However, I assume that this was because Satan was behind it. Anyway, I'm not too big a fan of like downer stuff like this. I feel like it was a strong display of why rampant destruction/capitalism/war/selfishness is bad, so I guess that's good.

I feel like there was a lot of weird sex stuff that came off as just gratuitous. It added to the theme, some more than others. It was creepy though seeing the "camera", so to speak, pan to like behind a teenage girl's ass and stuff.

The twists of Ryo being Satan and Akira being cut in half didn't exactly surprise me. I was pretty sure that both were the case, but I figured that possibly both, or at least the second, wouldn't happen. I kind of thought the end would be like the end of Tetsuo with the two adversaries fused into one. I didn't expect the other deaths though. Anyway, it was really disturbing, and I don't really know what to say. I kind of wish I just didn't watch it at all, but I'm not really unhappy that I did either.
Mar 19, 2018 1:01 AM
Feb 2016
I just finished it, all I have to say is wow. My sister told me about the ending but I still was not prepared. Feel really sad right now.
clown president general plue
Mar 20, 2018 3:33 AM

Feb 2013
Cavi said:
I must say, Devilman Crybaby was a wild ride for me. Before I say more, I have to confess - I've never been a fan of... I guess watching stuff. TV series, movies... even anime, which is my favourite medium, was only there for me in a few series I loved and watched throught the years. Only recentely I got into it a lot more and completed a few more shows and plan to do so more often now. With that established, know that because I do not have much comparison, my view might be subjective.

To the point now. Wow. Shows that end in such fashion, without your cliche happy ending, are the ones that stay with me in that form of "after-series hangover" the longest. The death of Miki, as well as other characters, were the most brutal I've ever seen in an anime. I guess that because I've never read the manga or seen the older adaptations, I didn't really expect all these things to happen, which made me even more shocked when these occured. The ending was very emotional, mostly because both Akira and Ryo were strongly established as unique characters, which made it even harder to hold my tears. I won't make it any more longer, as this is not a thread for reviews, but rather for discussion about the last episode, but because it is the conclusion of the whole series, I'll give out my rating for the show, not just the episode. There were a few minor things that bothered me, that's why I'll give it 9/10. Is it that high because I have no experience and comparison? Perhaps, but that's honestly how I feel from deep within my heart right now, and I don't want to lie to myself.

Nice, write-up. #-,x)
✈️
Mar 21, 2018 11:41 AM
Jul 2017
I just finished watching it and man, all of a sudden Ryo turns out to be Satan and the world ends. it is a weird look for Satan, with a pair of boobs.

I just loved how they kept repeating the "Passing the baton" scene, it was really well edited and the soundtrack man. it felt heartwarming.

It broke my heart seeing the end of episode 9 and when he buried her i was tearing up man.

Overall really good series, I liked it.
Mar 22, 2018 9:54 PM
Feb 2017
I know I'm late but I have one thing to say...

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL HECK WAS THAT FINAL EPISODE?!!! ^_^
Mar 23, 2018 6:42 PM

Dec 2015
When I watch the first episode, I thought that I would've give a 7 on the best case. But now that I finished, I'm not sure if I will give a 8 or 9. Even though I didn't liked the premise, the direction of the events were absolutely perfect! Soundtrack was amazing, art was cool but overated, and it has really good characters.

For now, I will give a 9/10, but because I really didn't liked this premise, I may downgrade to an 8 on the future.
Mar 25, 2018 12:06 AM

Aug 2014
Wow...
Just man it's weird, disturbing,felt incomplete, chaotic.
I can't even give it a score...
Mar 25, 2018 2:48 AM

Aug 2014
GraySti said:
This series mentally fucked with my head. It was good and all but a little intense which is good at times I guess. Now I need to watch some Gintama to lift my spirits haha. Devilman was quite depressing and very disturbing lol. I recommend this anime only if you are older and can handle very fucked up shit. with all of this said I will never watch this again haha.

I am with you, binged it on 1 day.
Its intense, it was good but also disturbing, fucked up, depressing combined all the controversy stuff + the fucked up side on the human nature kinda disturbed me up.
This anime literally worse than a typical gory due mature+gore+sex in it for a 18+ mild ages.

I also need to watch something like happy go lucky anime before my brain start to get fked up too
Mar 25, 2018 11:18 AM

Aug 2015
Phenomenal. I didn't much care for this anime until episode 7, I' m glad a freind asked me to stick with it.
Unlike any other Japanese thing I can think of, Devilman actually gets Christianity; for example the scene in an earlier episode where Devilman shields the scapegoats from the mob and accepts their violence.

It's pretty rapid escalation from satanic clubs to the end of the world in 10 episodes, but it worked. I can go back and watch the Apocalypse of Devilman OVA with some context now lol

Great OST, especially the rap.

My only real complaints are: the excessive referencing of the 1970s TV show as something that exists inside the anime's universe, as well as the End of Evangelion references. I don't like it when anime staff feels a need to say "look how hip and postmodern we are"
And:
It's not really clear why people turn into demons since if it's the state of people's hearts, why didn't the mob throwing stones turn into demons for example.

Mar 29, 2018 10:13 AM

Nov 2015
Really liked this series, well done Netflix. And ofcourse I did not expect that ending.

Would have liked it that they explained the loop where Ryo is in a bit more. God punished him and he has to re-live killing his best friend over and over again. Ryo is the only one left on earth, he is alone. We see the angels of God coming down on him/the earth.

The start of the OP is actually the ending of the series, we see Akira with only his torso left.

8/10 but i'll give it a 9/10 for the amazing music! Thank you devilman for a great experience!
Apr 1, 2018 2:12 AM

Feb 2009
Just like with the manga, I was left with a feeling of "I liked it a lot, but I should probably be ashamed of liking it that much".
Though it's quite different from the manga when it comes to details. The core plot is the same, but in general it's more like a loose adaptation. Not like some other recently adapted old manga series like JoJo or even Parasyte.

That probably pissed off a lot of fans, but I considered it a good thing. The source material is from the early 70s, so...Some things are simply outdated by now, and it has some noticeable narrative/story issues - like how most characters weren't developed at all.
So the writers for the anime did a lot of work expanding upon the source material, giving existing characters more personality and depth, adding new characters and character dynamics, etc. And I generally feel like they did a decent job. For example, I really liked Miko(probably my favorite character), who is entirely anime-original.

Even though they might've overdone the sexual part a bit. (I don't remember it being prominent in the manga) But hey, I've been aroused by worse in my life.

devresertoir said:
i just finished devilman crybaby and i couldnt understand why did miko kill the rapper obviously he had also become an devilman and it seemed counterintuitive from a story telling perspective to let him survive the sabat party only to be killed off screen for no apparent reason. is anyone else having this doubt or maybe has answers????

In the Sabbath scene it's shown that when they were taking drugs, only Miko actually took the pill, while the rapper put it into his pocket. So, he maintained a clear mind. I'm not sure if it's canon in this anime, but in the manga abandoning your reason(due to intoxication and/or fear) was one of the key conditions for merging with a demon.
In a following scene we see the two dancing, while a woman next to them transforms into a demon and jumps at them. The next thing we see is a closeup of Miko's frightened face and the episode ends.
So the implication is that he got killed in the massacre at the Sabbath, while Miko got merged with a demon and became a devilman.
Afterwards you can see Miko wearing his sunglasses as a memento of him, showing that she still cared about him.

DocJangarly said:
It wasn't rushed, it's just that modern anime fans can't process information that fast anymore. They're too used to longer developments like in Naruto.

Huh? I assume you've seen a lot of older shows, so you should know how more slow-paced they used to be, often having 40+ episodes, while nowadays few shows get more than 25 in one season. Over the years, as the average episode count went down, the studios had to compress the stories into less screentime, and as a result the pacing and direction noticeable improved.
mado_2kiApr 1, 2018 3:07 AM
Apr 4, 2018 7:46 AM

Aug 2015
Honestly felt like the last 2 episodes made the rest of the show kinda pointless. I get that's kinda how it's supposed to make you feel but eh I wasn't satisfied in the least with how this show finished. The art style was very off-putting at first but the characters and mature story and scenes pulled me in and then by the end it just felt like a waste of time.

“Many a book is like a key to unknown chambers within the castle of one’s own self.” ― Franz Kafka
Apr 4, 2018 9:37 AM

Feb 2008
Well, having looked over the thread I feel the most common complaint is exactly what the poster above this post has said, that they felt the ending made the story pointless.

And what I would ask of those people is to consider what I am about to say, because I feel this is more than just about this particular anime and story and about an important aspect of storytelling in general. Now I'm not saying this to people who hated the show in general, or fundamentally did not like the story as a whole, this is purely to those that don't see the point after those last 2 episodes but were with it till then.

To dismiss a story because it ends on a shall we say, destructive note it order to make a point, and most commonly this is done via tragedy, is to be rather close-minded, or perhaps single-minded is more accurate. A story does not need to end on a happy note to make a point or to be worthwhile. What I can acknowledge somewhat with Crybaby in particular is it wasn't always as clear as it could have been what the message was, the manga was clearer albeit was a messier story because Nagai clearly came up with it in the middle of writing the manga. If you are familiar with Devilman prior to this then you would immediately get it. But Crybaby was perhaps not as well written as it could have been for completely new viewers.

In essence the story is about Satan's character, and how his experiences as a human and infatuation with Akira tragically comes into conflict with his hubris, hypocracy and the fact he is trapped in a cycle of that conflict, in which he keeps repeating the same mistakes.

And the other aspects of the story with the demon possession and the falling apart of human society compliments that rather well, because within that we make the same mistakes we make over and over.

Sometimes a story needs to be about that, instead of wrapping everything up neatly. But as I've said a number of times, the superb Devilman Lady anime from 1998 takes this story and does something more optimistic with it, might suit some people more.

But I did feel I have to say this because I see a lot of people dismissing Devilman for what actually made it a classic and what makes it transcend its humble beginnings as a shonen work, and why getting on 50 years later it has a devoted fanbase.
Apr 4, 2018 10:26 AM

Aug 2015
I wouldn't say tragic endings are bad, I think there is 100% a place for them in all forms of media. However, I do not think DM:C did a good job at it. I feel like this is down to its small episode number. I've not had a chance to read the manga yet but from what I can tell just from the anime is it felt like a lot of content was packed into 10 21 minute episodes and characters / the ending suffered because of that. I got the message the show tried to put across but it very much fell flat.

“Many a book is like a key to unknown chambers within the castle of one’s own self.” ― Franz Kafka
Apr 4, 2018 10:38 AM

Feb 2008
CthulhusDong said:
I wouldn't say tragic endings are bad, I think there is 100% a place for them in all forms of media. However, I do not think DM:C did a good job at it. I feel like this is down to its small episode number. I've not had a chance to read the manga yet but from what I can tell just from the anime is it felt like a lot of content was packed into 10 21 minute episodes and characters / the ending suffered because of that. I got the message the show tried to put across but it very much fell flat.

In that case I kind of get it more, but still, I'd call Devilman Crybaby lean, but decisive in its content, the manga was only 5 volumes so Crybaby only ended up having to compress some things because of what it did differently or tried to add, but it didn't really have material that it didn't have the time in 10 episodes to relay. But the manga did give a little more development to the period between Miki's death and the forming of the Devilman army, and Crybaby's answer to that was to reference it in the story's final moments (the lab with the captive Devilman girl, I'll just say that had a lot more relevancy to the manga and Crybaby probably didn't even need to reference it if it was never going to do anything with it, that's probably the part that irked me the most)

But I really felt there was a decent amount there, I think I've come to appreciate brevity in storytelling more now because of the length of some books and definitely how TV shows tend to work, which for me a lot of the time is stretching material out into tedium. Crybaby knew what it wanted to do and it was an intense 10 episodes with no wasted time, I'd maybe have changed some scenes personally but I wouldn't have demanded more time. Even if Devilman Lady was 26 episodes and I liked it more. I don't think Devilman needed more than 10.
Apr 5, 2018 8:10 PM

Mar 2012
Hmm....wasn't really feeling the 2nd half of this. Loved the gore, and the sex scenes kinda actually added to the atmosphere in the beginning along with the drug/demon raves, the only scene that i felt was really just to have boobs show up in an episode was probably the one with Miko banging some random dude behind a building until his head literally exploded...felt like that one was overkill considering the episode directly after that she starts toning down from bitch mode out of nowhere.

The ending wasn't terrible, but I'm not exactly a fan of stories that over utilize a cast of characters for the singular point of developing a sole main character. Killing off a cast of characters just to provoke a main character into action is a bit weak too, considering none of these characters seem to be able to stand for their own two feet instead of the main characters, except for Miko....I suppose her acceptance to not needing to beat Miki before her death counts for something.

Anyway, a random watch on my part after the season ended...was okay.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Apr 6, 2018 12:58 AM
Feb 2013
The ending was extremely badly written, to be honest.

What exactly was it trying to convey? I've seen everything mentioned from "the darkness of the human heart" to "the futility of rebellion against higher powers". But it doesn't actually convey anything so clear cut, and I've yet to find anything more subtle but truthfully meant by the ending.

For example, the darkness of human hearts: frankly, that was more of "situation is mega-f*cked" and "common sense" leading to "panic and riot". _What_ exactly did anyone expect from any social beings when they're told "Oh BTW, there're those incredibly powerful and evil beings that right now look just like you and there's no way to know it except by 'seeing who around you _changed_'." which is, like, a BS situation in the first place. We're never shown anyone else with knowledge about demons. Humanity quite literally had nothing they could conceive of doing to combat any part of this nightmare. Their _military leadership_ was thoroughly infiltrated to begin with, not to mention their media (which realistically would be the biggest contributor).

So in the end it feels more like certain colonizers harassing the natives then pointing to their 'savagery' in retaliating. It's a far analogy, but it applies what with the demons being part of the 'humans' that pushed everything to chaos, on Ryu's orders, only for Ryu to come around and blame it on humans.

At least Satan's portrayal was somewhat logical, all said.
AladApr 6, 2018 1:03 AM
Apr 6, 2018 9:54 AM
Apr 2014
I never enjoy endings like this. Where every character whether they had development, or didnt, were awesome, or horrible, just all die or were going to die anyways. It makes the entire series and actions of Akira and other characters pointless. And not only does everyone die but another trope i dont like is that the antagonist all along turned out to be a damned Divine being that was probably unstoppable(i think? Not sure if devils could defeat such a thing).
The divine part is also very weird for this universe I feel, as it's revealed that the devils were actually just normal animals that lived on Earth and not coming from an underworld or something.
The show's animation isn't that great, but I don't think they were trying to go for a phenomenal visual anime anyways whether that be because of a budget or other reason. They do pick it up during action scenes or emotional moments to give you the correct feelings of the scenes which is great.
I also agree with another user here that some of the juvenile scenes of sex could have been omitted as they never really had any impact or reason. Such as the devil fueled fantasy of Miki that Akira had. We know he likes her from many other reasons already, and Akira never has to fight this bizarre urge ever again in the show. It just sorta happens.
All in all man this was a bizarre anime that doesn't truly fulfill me in any aspect, and wont want to rewatch. 4/10
Apr 9, 2018 4:34 AM

Jun 2016
I do concede that I don't think the Ryo reveal was perfect, and I don't think the very end was satisfying(even though it made me tear up). But, I do not agree that the pacing was too rushed or that it was too under explained.

I loved every second of Devilman: Crybaby and I'm going to rewatch it soon. And again. And again. The way it compacts so much love and care in every minute detail of the story was amazing. I've never once in my life been so attached to characters and so devastated at their death. This will go down as one of my favorites, but where I'm not sure. I loved everything about the Akira side of the story, but to get a full picture I need to rewatch it understanding the Ryo side and see if it lives up. It was edgy, often in a good way, but a bit too much like how it made the horde of nearly demonic humans trash Miki's place and slaughter the rappers, one of which was one of said rappers transformed by the moment. It makes sense thematically but it didn't play out cleanly, although I love how this episode implied that Akira slaughtered them and took what was left of Miki as he couldn't accept what happened like I had said above. Moments like that, or the seemingly rushed ending here are ones that drag it down. Ryo wasn't as good as as the other detailed and cared about and respected characters going through development and establishing themselves in subtle but great ways, or so I think. Currently he drags down the anime a tad, but as I said on a rewatch this may be solved now that I know what to look out for. He already does make loads more sense. Either way, since there's so much more to grasp in this anime, and I am loving it to this degree I know I must rewatch it to get a clear idea of what I think, so I can't rate it confidently right now.

Currently it is in the 8-10 score range, I can't see it going lower but I could see it being anywhere there.

I recommend everyone gives this a listen in remembrance for the events of this victory-less war. :' (
Apr 16, 2018 1:37 AM

Aug 2017
A bit rushed the ending but i'm fine with it. Akira dies and Satan/Ryo seems to be killed by God in the end. Overall was a good series, yet, it have some flaws like the pacing but i think that is not too bad as many tell me. It's not edgy for the sake of being edgy. 4/5 for the episode. 8/10 for the anime
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 24, 2018 5:56 AM

May 2010
I'm honestly not the biggest fan of "everyone dies" type of ending, it makes every character's storyline we knew and were interested in seem quite pointless in the end. I do however like the little twist of Ryou becoming the real crybaby in the end, after seeing his dear friend dead, that might be what this whole series was about after all.

I wish this series was one or two episodes longer. Showing more Devilmen, prolonging the last showdown and Akira's point of view right before his death would be interesting pieces that could add more depth. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this anime a lot, I loved how classic and simple the core of the story was, I can imagine the manga being an inspiration for many future works. Like Kiseijuu, which used a lot similar themes, at least that's how it feels to me.

Soundtrack was AMAZING, I'll definitely keep on listening to it in the future. The style of animation wasn't my favourite, but I quickly got used to it. The bloody and gory scenes weren't as "juicy", the way I like them, but the "raw" factor of them was somewhat satisfying as well.

My first anime directed by Yuasa, and I fell in love with his way of telling the story - he didn't treat viewers like idiots, not evetyhing had to be shown in order for people to understand the plot. We didn't need to watch the scene of Miko turning into Devilman and Kukan getting eaten/killed off, since later we got all the scenes necessary for us to connect the dots and figure out the events ourselves. That's brilliant!

I'll definitely read the manga in the future as well, I wonder what (besides the modern updates) has been changed in this adaptation. I never imagined that series with demons/bloody mutants would be this engaging and thrilling to watch! 8.5/10
Apr 25, 2018 7:18 AM
Jul 2015
Blood! Gore! Edginess! Do you ever feel like you're 14 again? Are you 14? Do you ever slit your wrists? Do you have irrational hatred for no particular reason? Do you want a show that's a waste of time? Where theres no character development? And even if there were everyone dies because of the edge? What about another show with the boring ass allegory that humans are the real devils? Well then, this is the show for you!

So ryo is Satan. Woulda never guess with the FUCKING 666 address. What was the point of this. So demons inhabited earth and were able to take traits of the creatures they ate. So then how the fuck do people get possessed? How did the kid or Akira get possessed by amon? They're animals just like everything else. But hey, who cares about gaping plot holes. Ryo has tits...cause? Oh no Akira is dead ryo is sad earth is blown up. The best way to wrap things up is just blow everything up.

I heard a lot of good things about the show. The first five episodes were so weird and random and I loved it. Then it just went to shit. Glad it's finished for me.
JaghMay 7, 2018 4:32 PM
May 2, 2018 2:12 PM

Jan 2018
Outstanding. What a great show, with great characters, great story, great twists, great music, great animation and a fucking amazing ending! I'd recommend this to everyone over the age of 13. Just wow.

Never expected that ending in a million years. It was perfect.

Easy 10/10
May 7, 2018 1:30 AM

Jun 2016
Jagh said:
Blood! Gore! Edginess! Do you ever feel like you're 14 again? Are you 14? Do you ever slit your wrists? Do you have irrational hatred for no particular reason? Do you want a show that's a waste of time? Where theres no character development? And even if there were everyone dies because of the edge? What about another show with the boring ass allegory that humans are the real devils? Well then, this is the show for you!

I think the point of the anime is to show both the finite existence of life, to force the audience to confront it in a terrifying way, and to also show a fairly morally ambiguous message that everyone has a chance to act in an evil fashion, monster or human, that we can all be devils. There were devils acting out of self preservation, like animals. There were humans like Miki's family, or the humans who embraced Akira in his devil form, or the devilmen themselves(who were mostly human in how they acted) acting out of good nature. There were devils like Zenon who were fighting for their own power in other words acting out of evil, alike that of some humans who were acting purely out of evil will. There were contrasting human defense and devil defense forces who were trying to prevent their own kind from dying. The end is a morally ambiguous battle of devils and devilmen along with the easily manipulated and swayed normal humans. In devilman crybaby there is no clear black and white morality on one side, there is a mix of behaviors literally everywhere. It plays with the idea that if we could all love and care for each other like Akira does then there would be world peace, however in my mind, it ends by saying that as great as it would be, the human condition makes it impossible. So we should strive for love while confronting the bleak future, even if it's something that may not end up coming through in the end, that we need to confront the fact that life can and will be awful to us and our loved ones, but we must run alike the runners running for hope, and try and give Ryo the baton and show him that people will accept him this time, Ryo being the evil people in the world. It's a lot of nuanced and subtle and murky ideas, and to come out claiming that it's just "another allegory that humans are the devils" is outright wrong.

There are plenty of subtle and amazing ideas here. Chopping it up to an edgy show for a 14 year old, or to claim that this show that forces an audience to confront the questions we strive to avoid is a waste of time, or to state that this anime which characterizes and develops everyone including supporting characters that don't even speak a word like Hie doesn't develop its characters is again, outright wrong. These criticisms are not valid and overly spiteful.
So ryo is Satan. Woulda never guess with the FUCKING 666 address.

Agreed this was humorously on the nose!
So demons inhabited earth and were able to take traits of the creatures they ate. So then how the fuck do people get possessed?

Symbolically demons are a projection of human evil and people get possessed when they're put in situations of bloodshed and are warped for the worst. Literally it doesn't make much sense, but in a view of seeing demons as projections of our evils, it makes sense in why we humans would become the devils we project at our worst. Think of Koda seeing his boyfriend die and being unable to deal with it and his emotions, and think of Akira's dad when he tried to fight against the demon and almost won. Or a far better example, think of Miko who had feelings of spite build up her whole life, being replaced by Miki in even her own name, and how her feelings came out in a demonic and overt way.
How did the kid or Akira get possessed by amon? Their animals just like everything else.

Demons follow under Satan, Ryo literally told the Amon to posses Akira on screen so that he could take Akira with him once this world was over. He literally told Amon to posses Akira. Miki's brother got possessed by a demon because of the bloodshed around the world, and the violence and sexuality on the computer he would search up. We saw him developing to become a devil throughout the series such as how he would already obsess over devils, look at sabbath party pictures, and even thought the track meet massacre was 'cool'. It was him being manipulated to embrace his evil side and unlike Akira's dad, he wasn't strong enough to fight his urges.

The characters are amazingly characterized and developed in this especially for a 10 episode anime, and the strong part is those characters and the themes that Devilman presents, that and its kickass pacing, art, music, and animation.

Edit: I should say I watched this about a month ago now and I don't remember all the details, however the themes and ideas and characters haven't left my head for a minute. If anyone can elaborate on the plot elements better than I did, as I did pretty crudely, that would be cool.
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsMay 7, 2018 1:50 AM
Pages (11) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Have a small doubt!

Jai_akash - Apr 18

5 by catfelix »»
Apr 18, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

92 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 6, 2:54 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

159 by Isca_Riot »»
Mar 5, 8:20 AM

» Why do people love it so much ( 1 2 )

Bardocen - Sep 18, 2021

53 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Feb 18, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

97 by Floral_soap »»
Feb 8, 3:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.