Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 15, 2017 12:17 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I am crying. Don't ask me why. Because there are just so many reasons why I am crying. T_T

The moment we rolled back many, many years, I knew what would be the outcome. Yet I was surprised how Taichi made THE Harada-sensei go defensive, the one who is renowned for his aggressive karuta!

But that GAP! Sensei's sense of hearing might not allow him to react like the way it would when he was at his prime, so just banking on it to be able to react as the poems were read, hoping they would be read clearly, was never gonna help him. Yet I loved it how age wasn't made as an excuse but as a means for him to enjoy the game he was having with Taichi! The moment he said he wanted to jump over that gap gave me goosebumps all over my body! Even though he gave his all, it wasn't enough. And for the first time I felt I might have seen Harada-sensei in a Karuta match for the last time. I just got that feeling, I dunno why. T_T

Tears gathered on Taichi's eyes as he paid tribute with bowing to Sensei and with a shaky voice, parted words of gratitude to Sensei. The next bit was unbelievable as Sensei grabbed Taichi by his hoodie and yelled at him reminding him of the desperate and painful situation he was in, but instead of giving up, he told him to love those situations from now on and forever! Sensei completed the teaching he once started as he told Taichi from outside the hall many a chapter back! So beautiful! If Suetsugu Yuki-sensei had this on her mind back when she wrote that chapter so many years back I am left with an awe! T_T

These are the moments that separates great stories with good stories. I know I am about to go a bit off topic but I immediately remembered the scene where Gintoki was shown looking towards the sky as rain poured down, unable for the fans to tell what might have happened for him to make that face as we couldn't tell if it was just the rain poring down from the sky or somewhere else, which was revealed in the most unimaginable of circumstances down the road of Gintama. I remember my tear ducts gave up that day. I am feeling the same thing as I am reading this chapter.

Coming back to Chihayafuru:

And just then, Chihaya drops dead behind Taichi with her face down! She had won against Tamaru but she came to her senses immediately! The T-shirt! THAT BEAUTIFUL T-SHIRT! OMG! TAICHI HAS BEEN WEARING THE KARUTA T-SHIRT OF MIZUSAWA UNDER HIS HOODIE ALL ALONG! It became visible after Harada-sensei pulled on it earlier! Chihaya covered her mouth with her hands as tears welled up her eyes! T_T

Meanwhile, Taichi's mother asked Kana-chan's mother if she would be able to prepare a men's Hakama with tears on her eyes! Oh, if Taichi only knew this, I am sure he would be so happy, given his conversation with Chihaya on the following page! T_T

Remember "Maketara kyougi Karuta wo yameru"? then came "Kattara kyougi Karuta wo isshou yaru" Those profound words alone were enough for Sudou-san!

For now, we know that Chihaya and Taichi will be the East Japan representatives and challenge the West Japan representatives for shots on the Queen and Meijin title matches respectively!

I cannot wait for Arata versus Taichi! ❤

5/5

This link is where you can find Chihayafuru: Chuugakusei-hen Chapter Discussions.

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 15, 2017 2:38 PM
Mar 2015
At the beginning Taichi's mother pictured his father as cute rosy cheeked boy who smiled a lot He actually took her name, Mashima in the marriage. (Adoption of the bridegroom is still practiced in many Japanese upperclass families)
At the end Chihaya was standing next to Taichi at the awards ceremony and said he did smell good but worried that his mother would be angry because he was using her perfume
Dec 15, 2017 3:04 PM

Nov 2007
landofthekwt said:
At the end Chihaya was standing next to Taichi at the awards ceremony and said he did smell good but worried that his mother would be angry

But Taichi is confident she wouldn't find out since she wears the same. And I don't think she will beat up Taichi anyways like Chitose does when Chihaya pulls the same stunt. Chihaya is more afraid of Taichi's mom than Taichi is.

Interestingly you mentioned that part on your post instead of mentioning the Hakama, because that was what I found giving off a profound implication as to how Taichi's mother is changing for the better. :)

Coronavirus.
Dec 28, 2017 6:58 PM

Dec 2015
I expected the match to last more than a chapter but i really liked Harada's backstory and Mashima's tears at the end. Probably Mashima will be his successor.
Dec 29, 2017 3:41 AM
Oct 2014
I am still unsure which way the mangaka will go in regards to the winner of Taichi and Arata.

They will surely split some wins, but in the end I think Arata will win. Taichi and Suo's styles are too similar and the allusion to Taichi continuing to play Karuta his entire life makes me think it will go this way. A lot of focus on Taichi now, because it will be on Chihaya and Arata in the finals.

Hoping for Taichi to win the girl though, although it will probably end with Chihaya x Arata or some cop out about them agreeing to continue competing and play Karuta for the rest of their lives or something.

Dec 29, 2017 7:17 AM

Nov 2007
HikariGo said:
I am still unsure which way the mangaka will go in regards to the winner of Taichi and Arata.

She already gave Arata a major handicap, you know, with his injured hand. Just like she did to Shinobu in the past who was burning with a fever.

I am with Chihaya x Arata, both emotionally and from objective point of view. Because Tachi's greatest character development came through his wanting to play Karuta for the rest of his life. And at this point, the most romantic thing I find in this story is seeing Taichi becoming the Meijin.
Coronavirus.
Dec 29, 2017 8:23 AM
Mar 2017
Whoo! This is one of the greatest chapters in Chihayafuru. I really love it! I'm just so happy for Chihaya and Taichi.

Man, this is the outcome we've all been waiting for ever since this story started. XD Can't wait to read the next chapter!
Dec 29, 2017 10:18 AM

Nov 2009
shanimebib said:
She already gave Arata a major handicap, you know, with his injured hand. Just like she did to Shinobu in the past who was burning with a fever.
The Challenger final is like in a month, Arata's hand will be long healed by the time.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Dec 29, 2017 11:16 AM

May 2013
I'm 99.999999999% sure that Taichi will become the Meijin. The author let to much clue about it. And Taichi becoming Meijin would show that the hard work can win. It'll allow him to move forward ("I could pass all my life without beat Chihaya or Arata/be stronger" or something like this). It could proove him that he can be at their level and allow him to be more confident.
And Arata doesn't seem really see Taichi as a rival so it would be a great way to let him grow as character if he lose against Taichi.

I'm not sure for Chihaya vs Shinobu but I guess Chihaya will win and Shinobu will comeback stronger and they'll be Queens years by years.

I hope that Taichi will find his happiness. (Suou too and he said himself that he wanted play against Taichi. Maybe that if he plays against him, he'll continue Karuta. Now I'm thinking, didn't Suou said he wanted play against Harada instead Arata before too?)

For the end, I see them be happy with their choices. Arata and Chihaya together (?), Taichi found someone else and became Meijin/Eternal Meijin(?) and finally found something he loves in life. Chihaya and Shinobu playing for the title of Queen each years (?). Arata still playing to Karuta and be the eternal rival of Taichi (?).
Something like this.
WaitingDB5KDec 29, 2017 1:06 PM
Dec 29, 2017 1:38 PM

Nov 2007
CG said:
shanimebib said:
The Challenger final is like in a month, Arata's hand will be long healed by the time.

I hope that would be the case. I wouldn't want to see a handicap game if anything. And while I would love to see Arata becoming a Meijin sometime in the future, I will be rooting for Taichi in that game.

WaitingDB5K said:
I'm 99.999999999% sure that Taichi will become the Meijin. The author let to much clue about it. And Taichi becoming Meijin would show that the hard work can win.

I am not THAT sure that he will indeed become the Meijin but it would be great if he did. One of the other hints is how Suou roused to Meijin himself. His growth was astonishingly fast as well!

WaitingDB5K said:
Suou too and he said himself that he wanted play against Taichi. Maybe that if he plays against him, he'll continue Karuta. Now I'm thinking, didn't Suou said he wanted play against Harada instead Arata before too?

Yes, he did. And he got what he wanted. Maybe he will get what he wants this time as well.

As for the ending, I will just be really sad because I came to love this story so much. And I think we might be really close to an end. My prediction is either Suou will be dethroned by Arata or Taichi OR he will retire anyways irrespective of retaining his title or not because of his condition after this time. I know it's a terrible thing to remind but he is losing his eyesight and he doesn't have much time left to play Karuta. I am almost positive that the final games will be between Shinobu vs Chihaya (Queen) and Arata vs Taichi (Meijin) as Chihaya hoped many chapters back in another round as it will not happen this time around.
Coronavirus.
Dec 31, 2017 10:03 AM

Oct 2009
hyyyyyyyyyyyyyype!!
Jan 1, 2018 4:34 AM

Jan 2016
This is an emotional chapter for taichi!
I knew he was going to win against harada Sensei, but it was really great that he has applied everything he learned both from the meijin and from harada Sensei.
Now I feel that the meijin is going to retire from the last minute when he learns that it will be taichi x arata. But I remember he also wanted to play against taichi in the meijin tournament. Taichi seems to be the real example of passion, hardwork and determination.
Jan 7, 2018 4:37 AM

Jan 2017
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww i was expecting the Chihaya battle to prolong for like, 10 chapters, glad to know it was all over and done with in one. Now, what we all are expecting!

I'm so happy for Taichi, i just hope Arata crushes him really bad in their game ^^ xD

And Taichi's mom buying the hakama was super cute, she was crying and all.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Jan 7, 2018 10:56 AM

Jul 2012
This chapter was beautiful and I agree with everyone that it was unexpectedly quick. I feel like this was the final resolution in spite of who wins the queen and meijin titles - if I remember correctly, when Arata was moving back home he made a promise with Chihaya and Taichi to meet in karuta matches. As long as they are playing they will be together. Now that Taichi is sharing love and passion for karuta that Arata and Chihaya have always had, their promise is fulfilled.
Taichi overcame his feelings for Chihaya and managed to keep playing for himself so he doesn't really need her as a "consolation prize" if he loses against Arata in the east-west challenger final.
Arata has been working hard all his life so I don't really feel it's fair to say Taichi's hard work only paid off if he wins the meijin title. His hard work already paid off in this chapter. I'm really glad about his mother's support, too.
I guess my point is that I think the author is finished with Taichi and now the focus will shift to Chihaya and Arata.
Sep 20, 2018 3:41 PM
Sep 2018
This is the beginning of the end of Chihayafuru. Three Childhood friends will face off in the Major Tournament, what more can you expect?

And this time its Taichi all the way (because He is at it's peak of his career) even though Arata has experience.

And Chihaya will get her revenge on Shinobu.

So the future has been already set.
Sep 20, 2018 3:45 PM
Sep 2018
smegmarta said:
This chapter was beautiful and I agree with everyone that it was unexpectedly quick. I feel like this was the final resolution in spite of who wins the queen and meijin titles - if I remember correctly, when Arata was moving back home he made a promise with Chihaya and Taichi to meet in karuta matches. As long as they are playing they will be together. Now that Taichi is sharing love and passion for karuta that Arata and Chihaya have always had, their promise is fulfilled.
Taichi overcame his feelings for Chihaya and managed to keep playing for himself so he doesn't really need her as a "consolation prize" if he loses against Arata in the east-west challenger final.
Arata has been working hard all his life so I don't really feel it's fair to say Taichi's hard work only paid off if he wins the meijin title. His hard work already paid off in this chapter. I'm really glad about his mother's support, too.
I guess my point is that I think the author is finished with Taichi and now the focus will shift to Chihaya and Arata.

No way in hell. Arata has yet to face Taichi once and for all. And Taichi is on his Winning streak. And I really want to hear one request from Taichi to the Master Suou if Taichi defeats Arata.
Nov 25, 2020 4:09 PM
Nov 2020
tbh i wanted harada sensei to crush taichi but i knew it wouldn't happen. i love that sensei snapped taichi out of his i hate karuta phase and is trying to push him towards the right direction, it makes me cry. my prediction is arata wins meijin qualifiers, beats suo and taichi will be his challenger once arata is meijin.
Jan 27, 2021 3:46 PM

Jan 2019
This chapter was beautiful. Harada-sensei's story from way back then, his (short) match agains Taichi, Taichi wearing the CARUTA shirt, Taichi and Chihaya talking so casually, both of them winning, a lot of beautiful scenarios.

I personally want Chihaya and Taichi winning Queen and Meijin respectively, but I feel like any ending could be satisfying.

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.