Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 14, 2017 12:05 AM

Jul 2016
I like it better than the original to be honest.

The beauty of the story is that Kino is so mysterious. You are just not sure what she will do at any given point.

Well done. Good episode.
Oct 14, 2017 12:12 AM
Jan 2009
Vindicater said:

The beauty of the story is that Kino is so mysterious. You are just not sure what she will do at any given point.

Well done. Good episode.

The beauty of the show is the philisophy and atmosphere, of which this show had none

Kino was mysterious and had great characterization in the original. In this version she is both generic and a psychopath. So far all we've seen her do is fight and shoot and eat cake.

In the original, it led off with the three rabbits story and it was a really strong introduction to her character and her daily life, and showed how she felt. Kino in this series is just "tralala i like to shoot i kill now lol :)"

Its not good

Sod off with your shit opinion
Oct 14, 2017 12:28 AM

Nov 2013
I
This was my favorite arc from the original, which made me fall in love with Shizu, but there was just so little time to get attached to these characters. They really should have gone with a two-parter for this, there was just SO MUCH in this story that was really left out ;'<

I'm...
disappointed.
But I still enjoy that Shizu's overall gentleness, and his character from the original was preserved, which was thus very much loved and appreciated.
I'm... still disappointed though. Was really looking forward to how they were going to reinterpret this chapter/arc
Oct 14, 2017 1:16 AM

Jul 2016
Nyron said:
Vindicater said:

Well done. Good episode.

The beauty of the show is the philisophy and atmosphere, of which this show had none

Kino was mysterious and had great characterization in the original. In this version she is both generic and a psychopath. So far all we've seen her do is fight and shoot and eat cake.

In the original, it led off with the three rabbits story and it was a really strong introduction to her character and her daily life, and showed how she felt. Kino in this series is just "tralala i like to shoot i kill now lol :)"

Its not good

Oh no. How will I ever deal with you thinking my opinion is shit???

My life is meaningless. Oh the pain. Oh the tragedy.

Oct 14, 2017 1:46 AM
Oct 2007
This episode is so dark and ****ed up that was mask up in a very peaceful manner.

The couple were cheated into fighting leaving just the wife (1), and the wife eventually didn't told Kino the truth and that led Kino to fight too (2), Kino basically had the entire country left in chaos by killing each other to become the king when in fact, the king will rule himself only if he comes out victorious after killing everyone (3) which brings me to the question of I am not even sure what is the moral of the story anymore (4). At first I thought the son becoming king to control the situation would probably be a much more plausible scenario.

P.S. So I realized that I did watched the 2003 version, and no wonder I do feel some similarity during watching but I must say I have totally forgotten almost everything from the original series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2017 2:18 AM
Nov 2016
Pretty solid episode. I like how kino I'd good with a gun.

So shizu was the son of the king... And Kino talked to the dog.

The banter between Hermes and Riku made me laugh.
Oct 14, 2017 2:37 AM

Jun 2016
That was a great episode again.

Kino and Hermes went to this town which was supposed to be like a wonderland, but it turned out it ain't. It was the town that couple they met before went. Unfortunately, the wife killed her husband over a match. Jeez.

Kino won all his match since most of them yielded. Lmao. Then the final fight was with a guy named Shizu who's apparently the son of the current King who killed his own father who's the previous king, so Shizu was there to win the match and kill his own father, but Kino with the help of Shizu shot the current King. Ugh it'll be glorious if we saw his exploded brain. Haha.

Awww that inu is so cute and he can talk. Hajimemashite, Riku! ❤

I hope we get to see more of those two in the future. They're both cute. Shizu is a babe. :D

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 14, 2017 3:05 AM
Oct 2017
Nyron said:
Vindicater said:

Well done. Good episode.

Its not good

2003 isn't even the "original", 2003 just changed and lot of things from the novel
this version are more faithful to the original novel source if you talked about the originality.
Oct 14, 2017 3:38 AM
Jul 2015
Compared with the old adaptation, this is terrible. No world-building, lack of details, no foreshadowing, no nothing. If the old Coliseum version was a 9.5/10 (it was for me). this new one's a 2.5/10. It was dreadful.
That's a thumbs down from me, I'm afraid.
Oct 14, 2017 3:44 AM
Jan 2009
gintamaben said:
Nyron said:

Its not good

2003 isn't even the "original", 2003 just changed and lot of things from the novel
this version are more faithful to the original novel source if you talked about the originality.

I've seen this post a lot in this thread
everyone should stop saying it

it's not "more faithful" if it doesn't adequately portray the point of the fucking book. Removing what made the original adaptation interesting does not make it more faithful.

This episode had no point. It skipped a majority of the novel's contents, skipped all the characterization of every single character, skipped all of the details about the society of the country.

Funny thing, I didn't miss any of that in the 2003 series. It felt coherent and well-written, with an established cast, obvious stakes, and reasons to care. It kept my attention and is an all around better treatment of the source material.

This episode was a series of scenes with no context, featuring characters I don't care about, in a location I don't care about, because the show spent no time introducing anything or giving me any reason to care. the episode had no mood or emotion at all and no moral to the story. It was shittily written, dude. Don't defend it.
Oct 14, 2017 4:15 AM
Mar 2016
Yeah while at the same time, people should stop comparing with kino from 2003 and novel. I mean just enjoy this anime as a 'whole' and stop comparing with other version of it, like it doesnt really matter.
"uh but its not deep enough"
"they totally butcher the series"
Oh cmon just stfu, enjoy the series. Its a good thing that we got a remake for a better animation and quality
"HAHA i rather not watch it if they really rushed the plot"
go ahead then, no one really forced you to watch this series at all, or you can watch kino 2003 each episode every week to make you feel like you watch a new series.
coming from someone who watch all the animation from 2003, read the novel, watch the new series, and doesnt give a fuck to any of em. just enjoy it.
Oct 14, 2017 4:32 AM

May 2009
I wonder if people know what a time constraint mean, blaming a sole episode wasn't as much detailed as the two ones of 2003's.

Nyron said:
This episode was a series of scenes with no context, featuring characters I don't care about, in a location I don't care about, because the show spent no time introducing anything or giving me any reason to care. the episode had no mood or emotion at all and no moral to the story. It was shittily written, dude. Don't defend it.

Can you tell me what this story is about? What's the original intent?
What do you think of the woman who lost her husband and still tell Kino to visit this country? (2003 vs 2017)
Oct 14, 2017 4:39 AM

Jul 2012
Sometimes i feel like it is so much better not knowing the original source or the first version (for me) cause i'm enjoying this anime or the start of it. Quite a nice opening, looked beatiful with a decent song.
The part in the end where Hermes is getting jealous of Riku was pretty funny, i assume we'll see them again.
Really reminds me of Ou dorobou Jing, one of my first anime that i watched, the same theme pretty much journey with the morale in the end.
Oct 14, 2017 4:42 AM

May 2012
THis episode was so great !!!

I wonder if the original Kino is as good as this !!. I might check it one day, but the awful character design and less colorful visuals make it harder to watch the older one. The new kino look better than the old one
Oct 14, 2017 5:32 AM

Mar 2016
Wow, this went to shit surprisingly quickly. Not that I had high expectations after episode one, but I guess the series managed to turn out even worse than that...
Oct 14, 2017 5:38 AM

Nov 2014
I gave the benefit of the doubt on the first episode and see how this will fair, but, I was right with my expectations that this will not be as good as the first one, even if we are not to compare it to the first one.
The first episode and the yelling character who wanted to kill and now the guards and afterwards in the Colosseum, this cemented my opinion that it will not be good or just an average show.

One thing that stands out, this one and the previous one, and it's easy to see the difference how much anime and the audience has changed.
Oct 14, 2017 5:42 AM
Oct 2017
Nyron said:
gintamaben said:

I've seen this post a lot in this thread
everyone should stop saying it

it's not "more faithful" if it doesn't adequately portray the point of the fucking book. Removing what made the original adaptation interesting does not make it more faithful.

This episode had no point. It skipped a majority of the novel's contents, skipped all the characterization of every single character, skipped all of the details about the society of the country.

Funny thing, I didn't miss any of that in the 2003 series. It felt coherent and well-written, with an established cast, obvious stakes, and reasons to care. It kept my attention and is an all around better treatment of the source material.

You didn't read the novel didn't you because 2003 version had nothing alike to the novel, they changed the point of the story just like @sroque said and even stretched the length to two episode while in the novel this arc only got one chapter.
gintamabenOct 14, 2017 5:52 AM
Oct 14, 2017 6:54 AM

Oct 2010
Nyron said:
Vindicater said:

Well done. Good episode.

If you are going to exaggerate a point at least do it properly. In this new Kino, one of the main problems may be that it offers a contrast that is too obvious when it comes to explore the attitude of Kino. I could understand very easily the personal grudge Kino has against this country from her gestures and reactions to the information she's given alone, if anything the problem of this version is how hard it focuses on making the bad guys look like, you know, bad guys.

Nyron said:

Yes, it is like this, if you don't pay attention at all to the pauses, the reactions, the cinematography, the gestures and the silences of Kino, and much more significant, the contrast that is present through this. It's not really that hard to spot that something was wrong with Kino the moment she was talking with those who welcomed her to the country.

And in the end I agree that it lacks explanation on the specifics, and perhaps (maybe the most) emphasis. But no need to sell something much lower than it is to make such point.
Oct 14, 2017 7:01 AM

Oct 2015
dem , I just love Kino more and More. She is amazing character. Well then, even something off from 2003's version, I still prefer this version. The art is a pleasant to my eyes.
Oct 14, 2017 7:26 AM

Nov 2011
Catchy the opening. The narration is just like the previous, too fast in the rhythm, but at the end of the episode Kino's doubts are unveiled. Yay!
Oct 14, 2017 7:38 AM

Jun 2008
Having watched the previous version few days ago this story arc was completely butchered, RIP this adaptation.
Oct 14, 2017 7:59 AM

Aug 2011
what the hell, what a disappointment. they didnt show any of the extra characterization we got in the original, just wanted to show the violence because it was violence.
Oct 14, 2017 8:15 AM

Nov 2013
Even though this episode was more faithful towards the novel, It's actually a basic mistake in directing a show that "what the source said must be so". It never is a good idea to just blatantly taking a story from the source and just use it as a manuscript for an adaptation. A sentence in a paragraph might take a whole minute just to express it, and a whole page can be expressed in a single scene.
Oct 14, 2017 8:33 AM

Aug 2015
What the heck was that? This is a remake of the episode in the old series but here they just skipped all the interesting stuff.. The original one was a two-parter and here everything was rushed. I liked it, but I much prefer the original.
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Oct 14, 2017 8:45 AM

Aug 2016
I watched and enjoyed the original, and I am also enjoying this. I don't mind an abridged version of this particular story if the original still exists; perhaps by doing so, they can squeeze in an extra episode of a story I haven't experienced yet (I have not and will not read the source material).

By the way, what's with that "review" on the front page? How do you review an entire show after two episodes? They shouldn't even let you post one until the series is done; if you want to express your displeasure in the meantime, that's what your 1-10 list rating should be for.

The guy also sounds psychotic, and like he enjoys using the word "shit" way too much.
Oct 14, 2017 8:58 AM

Oct 2010
LILYRANK said:
"This version is more faithful to the novels than the 2003 version!"

... So? I don't understand the logic behind that argument at all. How does being more faithful make it a better telling of the story than the 2003 version? I couldn't care less if the 2003 version wasn't faithful to the novels if it meant I got a stronger story in the process.

I'm not saying you're not allowed to like this version more, but saying it's better just because it's more faithful is a pretty weak argument.

It's a relevant argument because people here are comparing it to the 2003 version and saying it's a bad remake when this judgement should be done in regards to the novel, which is the source this episode is based on and not the old anime. No doubt that regardless of that there are many valid reasons to criticize this episode.
Oct 14, 2017 10:40 AM

Nov 2011
I was surprised at Kino's new rule because I thought she would just say something so they could all end up reforming and living in peace again but huh, this is quite interesting. I guess she did that because they're all messed up anyways, with the whole "Kill him! Kill him! Kill him!" chant too.

I'm really liking this series so far. It makes me think about a lot of things. I've heard the phrase "The world isn't beautiful, therefore, it is" used with this series a lot but I also liked when Hermes said "The world isn't beautiful, but it sure is vast"

I'm planning on watching the original but I'm sure I'll love both, even if they're kinda different :) I'm just glad this version was made because it made me stop stalling on watching the original Kino.
Oct 14, 2017 10:45 AM

Jul 2013
I actually liked this slightly more than the old Kino colosseum arc. It clearly has some problems on plenty of fronts but maybe because I despised the old colosseum arc so much I was happy to get through it quickly lol
Oct 14, 2017 10:49 AM

Nov 2014
jal90 said:
LILYRANK said:
"This version is more faithful to the novels than the 2003 version!"

... So? I don't understand the logic behind that argument at all. How does being more faithful make it a better telling of the story than the 2003 version? I couldn't care less if the 2003 version wasn't faithful to the novels if it meant I got a stronger story in the process.

I'm not saying you're not allowed to like this version more, but saying it's better just because it's more faithful is a pretty weak argument.

It's a relevant argument because people here are comparing it to the 2003 version and saying it's a bad remake when this judgement should be done in regards to the novel, which is the source this episode is based on and not the old anime. No doubt that regardless of that there are many valid reasons to criticize this episode.

I think what the poster was trying to say, is that making it an adaptation, a "faithful" one does not mean automatically that it's going to be better than the one that wasn't following the adaptation more closely; better to adapt it for the audio-visual medium that it is, than adapt like book, because that's rarely ever working, if it works at all.
And even as a standalone, disregarding the existence of the old anime, this is still pretty bad, as it is quasi-philosophy without any depth/research behind it.
Oct 14, 2017 10:49 AM

Apr 2015
As a first timer it was enjoyable. Would have dragged a bit if it was longer imo
Oct 14, 2017 11:43 AM

Mar 2014
Terrible episode. Kino was completely illogical and I couldn't feel a thing for the king or the participants of the coliseum. It gave me no reason to.
Oct 14, 2017 11:57 AM
Aug 2014
HEADSHOT. Well thank god he isn't a complete pacifist.

Now then, did the widow deceive Kino so he would suffer like she did? Or did she believe Kino would change the country...
Oct 14, 2017 12:02 PM

Oct 2010
ouriel said:
jal90 said:

I think what the poster was trying to say, is that making it an adaptation, a "faithful" one does not mean automatically that it's going to be better than the one that wasn't following the adaptation more closely; better to adapt it for the audio-visual medium that it is, than adapt like book, because that's rarely ever working, if it works at all.
And even as a standalone, disregarding the existence of the old anime, this is still pretty bad, as it is quasi-philosophy without any depth/research behind it.

Of course not, but people are not bringing this argument for no reason. This comparison should only apply in terms of quality, to say that they left out stuff from the 2003 version is wrong because it's not based on that one. It's an important clarification to make and to observe both versions as fundamentally different and independent from each other, with their respective qualities or flaws, whichever the case it is. The point is precisely on your last expression, "even as a standalone". If we don't treat is as a standalone we are missing the point, and likely expecting a standard that was not the goal to start with.

That said, I'm all for criticizing the episode on its own merits or, in this case that seems to have garnered a quite negative response, flaws.
Oct 14, 2017 12:16 PM
Jan 2009
BoardGameBrawl said:
I watched and enjoyed the original, and I am also enjoying this. I don't mind an abridged version of this particular story if the original still exists; perhaps by doing so, they can squeeze in an extra episode of a story I haven't experienced yet (I have not and will not read the source material).

By the way, what's with that "review" on the front page? How do you review an entire show after two episodes? They shouldn't even let you post one until the series is done; if you want to express your displeasure in the meantime, that's what your 1-10 list rating should be for.

The guy also sounds psychotic, and like he enjoys using the word "shit" way too much.

eyyyyy

Nah dude it's prettttty bad. You probably watched original Kino like 10 years ago and are thinking "well this feels like what I remember"

But it's much closer to watching something stupid like re:zero than an actual show. It's nothing like the original. It's lazy and bad and aimed at low IQ teens who just want wanton violence and to watch cute girls do cute things.
Oct 14, 2017 12:51 PM

May 2009
EdHaku said:
Kino was completely illogical.

Can you develop this statement for me please? :o
Oct 14, 2017 1:11 PM

Jun 2015
Abysmal episode, I cant help but hate that hypocrite Kino, also the underlaying message was horrible "revenge makes right" so a couple died? Kill everyone from that country... This wasnt the only problem, fights were super lame and honestly couldnt care less about anything that happened in this so called country, the whole thing feelt like something that I saw thousands time already. The patronising style just rubs me in very wrong way, first episode about a "paradise" where people can wield weapons freely and kill those who threat to society, now the second episode continues with the forced agenda, you are right to revenge even if cost thousand of lives. Sorry but this is pure trash, predictable boring empty, and Kino couldnt be more annoying. It had even a touch of comedy, so the little foreigner boy kills a dictator and gets away with it, everybody listening to him, also our the little boy manages to win all the fight without killing opponents, also our little hero manages to exact the perfect revenge on the whole country!
Big lol, nice fable!

Dropped
Oct 14, 2017 1:22 PM

Jan 2014
Dayum, wasn't expecting that at all. I like it the direction this show is going.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 14, 2017 1:27 PM

Aug 2008
Felt like FMA Brotherhood which also seemed a little bit rushed at the very beginning to allow for more new stuff to be added. I don't mind the story being shorter than 2 episodes at all. All I remember from the first version is that I was dozing off during certain scenes. Besides, I think the 2003 anime also questioned some parts of Kino's morality and made people discuss main character's actions (which weren't completely clear, too). It just shows that Kino is not a perfect human being and can be guided by various emotions and feelings.

Anyway, I'm kind of glad that this "arc" has been shortened (or stayed more faithful to the novel). I'm much more interested in the new stories that the studio has to present than going through the same tales twice. If the show continues with the pace and the quality of the first episode, I will be happy enough.
EnthenOct 14, 2017 1:39 PM
Oct 14, 2017 1:38 PM

May 2016
It was good, but so far I've liked the older anime better. Maybe because they made it a single episode I felt less emotionally connected when
Still it was funny/cool how the dog
hahaha. It's only the second episode though and like others said maybe it's rushing through stuff we've seen to get to new stuff like FMA Botherhood did.
Of course I've never seen the novel. So I have no idea how it compares to that.
KelsiFinnOct 14, 2017 1:52 PM
Oct 14, 2017 3:06 PM

Feb 2013
Wasn't this in the original series? They shouldn't rehash the same content. It will only hurt this new series.

Oct 14, 2017 3:16 PM
Jul 2018
BurntJelly said:
Wasn't this in the original series? They shouldn't rehash the same content. It will only hurt this new series.

Oct 14, 2017 3:48 PM
Jul 2017
derprume said:
HEADSHOT. Well thank god he isn't a complete pacifist.

But like... this is one of the problems. WHY is Kino a pacifist? That hasn't been established in this series yet. As opposed to the 2003 series, where Kino's reluctance to kill was explained and shown in episode 2 with Three Men in the Snow.

Also, Kino randomly killing the king isn't "cool" or "mysterious". At least in the first series, Kino had some kind of interaction with the king, saw how insane he was, had a REASON to do what they did. Instead it was just an arbitrary decision. It makes Kino look as bad as the king was.
Oct 14, 2017 4:29 PM
Oct 2008
I wasn't a fan of how they handled this storyline in the previous adaptation in fact one... but damn this was so much worse. I completely understand that they only redid this one to introduce Shizu, but still half-assing it so much leaves a bad taste... So far this adaptation's pretty meh. I really wanted to see Ship Country in motion done right... really hope they can do it justice.
Oct 14, 2017 4:43 PM

Sep 2014
The last survivor is going to be the next king? *starts killing everyone*

LMAO
Oct 14, 2017 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
Some of you might have seen the two times I tried to be really verbose about this episode but delete as I ultimately didn't want to get into an argument over this by trying to be deep so I'll be a little more brief.

I really disliked the original episode for this, it was one of my least favourites of the run. I felt like it dragged on for way too long and the amount of time spent on action made it feel a little out of tone compared to the rest of the series. This episode did feel "off" in the way that it paced itself and I can see what people meant by that, but I did enjoy it a little more here, although this may have just been because I wanted it over and done with.

The 03 series made some pretty significant changes to the original story that changed the theme completely, moving it away from the original idea of whether revenge is just. In this adaptation, though, that question got a lot more attention. This episode was okay, but I'm not sure whether this story was necessarily going to be adaptable very well into a single episode, or adaptable well at all. It seems a lot of the people new to this series enjoyed it, at least.
removed-userOct 14, 2017 5:37 PM
Oct 14, 2017 6:22 PM

May 2015
SaitoInu said:
Smudy said:
I feel like i'm better off watching this without knowing the original cause this was really interesting to me and i understood what happened (saw the kill king coming as soon as Kino said he won't yield after he kills somebody in this country).

Climax was really good.

People are saying it was terrible, you guys are pretty biased, aren't you?

The original was better, no argument. It was two episodes long. It didn't skip the fights. It fully showed the oppression and slavery of the country. It explained the king's derangement.

This was terrible.

Your opinion ≠ fact. "no argument" lol.

Oct 14, 2017 6:25 PM

May 2015
Nyron said:
Vindicater said:

Well done. Good episode.

Its not good

Whiny elitist...

Oct 14, 2017 7:03 PM
Jul 2013
Kittens-kun said:

I can tell you never watched the original.
Oct 14, 2017 7:04 PM

Feb 2009
I want to say the original did it better, as with a 2-part episode they had more time to flesh out some of the other fighters and learn more about the prince. Not to mention the fights were very exciting to watch and I felt invested. However because I saw the original, this episode feels rather disappointing. You never actually see any of the fights, as Kino's opponents surrender right off the bat, and because they condense everything into about 21 minutes, I can't even get too invested in the characters as they are never fleshed out. It sort of makes me wonder why they even included it at all. On a positive note, so glad to see the longcoat is back.

Also, after seeing the original and this episode, I'm still not sure why the wife told Kino that she should go to that country. Was she just trying to trick Kino in the way she was tricked or did she think Kino could have done something. If anyone knows, please leave a reply.
Oct 14, 2017 9:04 PM

Oct 2015
SaitoInu said:
Kittens-kun said:

I can tell you never watched the original.
Looks like he did though. Jokes on you.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

137 by milou1050 »»
Apr 14, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

103 by XpldFrFantasyLnd »»
Apr 6, 11:51 AM

» video game....

Videogamecoper - Dec 14, 2023

3 by ralfisagreatguy »»
Apr 3, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

133 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 11, 12:52 PM

» Which one is better? 2003 or 2017?

SgtBateMan - Sep 13, 2021

9 by Videogamecoper »»
Dec 14, 2023 5:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.