Forum Settings
Forums

Why does the younger generation care so much about animation?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 11, 2017 1:07 PM

Sep 2016
Us, younger generation grew with higher standard concerning animation. Going back to something not as pleasant for the eye just doesn't feel right. It's not that we care mostly for animation it's more because old/bad animation seems so outdated we just can't stand it.

What you thought was decent animation, we, in the other hand, describe it as terrible.

IMO, animation may not be as important as writting, character, progression.. but still is important.
BanhCanhOct 11, 2017 1:21 PM
Oct 11, 2017 1:14 PM

Aug 2016
My younger brother thinks a great animation style is really important while I don't care as long as it has a good story. Though a nice animation style with a good story is the best, and I'd much rather watch 2D animation than 3D animation.
Heya, I'm Mystic, the NSFW voice actress & anime girl streamer!
https://twitter.com/MagicalMysticVA
https://discord.gg/uy6vSyH
Oct 11, 2017 1:59 PM

Mar 2017
Azeew said:
Cause younger people usually have less knowledge about anime and storywriting in general, so their opinion is mediocre, caring about stuff that shouldn't matter.

GangsterCat said:
wow good animation! pretty colors!!! 10/10!!!
bunch of sheeple basically. book cover is everything.

OP, the answer you are looking for. They're wrong (horribly so) but its the answer you're looking to hear with this abysmal thread.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 11, 2017 2:08 PM

Jan 2010
Just like next gen gamer care more about the graphics than the actual gameplay?? (maybe, I'm no gamer, not anymore lol)
Oct 11, 2017 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
Because animation is literally the defining and unique trait of animation...?
Your question is like asking why acting matters in film...
Oct 11, 2017 2:11 PM

Jan 2013
le_halfhand_easy said:
. They're wrong (horribly so)

How could I possibly be wrong? fite me >:(

Now seriously, anime is just a form of storytelling. The main idea is to tell a story. How well the media in question manages to tell that story is very important, of course. I would NEVER watch something like Ajin. The thing is, even series from the 90s have good enough animation quality. Enough to perfectly do everything the visual part of the anime has to do.

The thing is, people fall for eye candies. Not only in the anime community, everywhere.

Oct 11, 2017 2:12 PM

Sep 2016
Shicchi said:
Just like next gen gamer care more about the graphics than the actual gameplay?? (maybe, I'm no gamer, not anymore lol)
yup everyone just circlejerking new games with "wow stunning graphic!!!" even though the content is always same recycled garbage dumpster for the last 7 years or so
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 11, 2017 2:14 PM

Jan 2013
Shicchi said:

GangsterCat said:
yup everyone just circlejerking new games with "wow stunning graphic!!!" even though the content is always same recycled garbage dumpster for the last 7 years or so

I absolutely agree, it's the perfect comparison.

Oct 11, 2017 2:24 PM

May 2015
Probably the same reason why people consider 4k gaming to be the epitome of video game graphics even though they only run at 30 FPS. It doesn't matter how smooth it animates as long as it looks good because looking good is what makes money!

Edit: I can't believe I just got ninja'd by 3 people...
Oct 11, 2017 2:29 PM

Aug 2017
Because they appreciate the art work and the fluidity of it's movement.

I guess younger people just want to watch animation. I see nothing wrong with that.

Oct 11, 2017 2:31 PM

Sep 2016
we basically living in a superficial world where the [cover] is everything. not only in anime, but in basically everything.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 11, 2017 2:35 PM

Sep 2016
GangsterCat said:
we basically living in a superficial world where the [cover] is everything. not only in anime, but in basically everything.

How about the cover is prettier but the content is the same ?

Games of your era had garbage graphic with decent gameplay
Newer game have decent graphic with the same generic gameplay

You old people just got bored of simple thing. The world is superficial like it always have been.
Oct 11, 2017 2:40 PM

Mar 2017
Shicchi said:

You know, if we're keeping up with the video game analogy, the equivalent of animation is smoothness of gameplay. The equivalent of the story is the video game story. Basically, the shit OP is talking about is graphics, the anime equivalent is artstyle and the sparkly effects and filters.

OP's complaint is "Why do people like sparkly things?" and mistook that as animation.

And don't get me started on that "Why do younger generations <generalizations galore> but not me cause I'm so special" bullshit. Because it's bullshit.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 11, 2017 2:41 PM

Jul 2016
As someone part of the younger generation I think that people now care more for the story. I personally do and most of the people I talk to think the same. They talk about the characters they like and the cool thing that happened so I think you are mistaken. For the people who do like the animation more animation tells a story so yeah peeps just like the story
Oct 11, 2017 2:44 PM

Sep 2016
BanhCanh said:
GangsterCat said:

You old people just got bored of simple thing. The world is superficial like it always have been.
old games graphic are not garbage in that time's graphic standards. i'm not old, i'm just not 12.
CrossAnge

Oct 11, 2017 2:44 PM

Apr 2017
I really don't mind if the anime doesn't have a very high-quality animation. As long as animation's not bad as in Ajin, I can watch it. I really care more about the story and the characters and of course, the fact how entertaining the show is.
Oct 11, 2017 2:48 PM

Jan 2013
First of all, what is the "younger generation" to begin with? I have no idea if we are talking about 13 year olds or 20 year olds.

If we are talking about kids/early teenagers, there's no discussion here. Kids have bad taste. PERIOD. There are few rare exceptions around the world, but those are most likely not your case.

I don't like to say it and I know it sounds rude and harsh, but that's just how it is.

Oct 11, 2017 2:51 PM

Sep 2016
Azeew said:
First of all, what is the "younger generation" to begin with? I have no idea if we are talking about 13 year olds or 20 year olds.

If we are talking about kids/early teenagers, there's no discussion here. Kids have bad taste. PERIOD. There are few rare exceptions around the world, but those are most likely not your case.

I don't like to say it and I know it sounds rude and harsh, but that's just how it is.

generation Z most likely, 2000+ year
CrossAnge

Oct 11, 2017 2:52 PM
Jun 2016
LITTLE KIDS B LIEK: YEAH I CAN ONLY WATCH NICE ANIMATION HOLD UP IM GOING TO PLAY MINCERAFT A FUCKING SHITTY GAME THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS FROM 6000 YEARS AGO WEN DINOSAURS WOULD SHIT IN YOR FUCKING LIVING ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'ate gundam
Oct 11, 2017 2:53 PM

Sep 2016
GangsterCat said:
BanhCanh said:

old games graphic are not garbage in that time's graphic standards. i'm not old, i'm just not 12.

Well, like you said for X year the gameplay didn't change. Your standard in game back then is just the same as ours now. You just grew higher standard.

The gameplay you enjoyed back then is the same we have now, with updated graphic. I can understand you complaining about the lack of creativity in game industry and all but blaming younger people for that is nonsense.
Oct 11, 2017 2:54 PM
Jul 2018
ART =/= ANIMATION
ART =/= ANIMATION
ART =/= ANIMATION
ART =/= ANIMATION

God freaking dammit, threads like this hurt my brain.
Oct 11, 2017 3:34 PM

Jul 2016
There is bad animation now and good animation from 20 years ago. Cowboy Bebop has good animation and Eromanga Sensei has a bad animation for the most part.

The animation is important because it helps the viewer be invested in the story. Part of the reason why the characters feel real in CowBoy Bebop is that of the way they move. The way spike fights give him so much personality and it communicates so much instantly. If the show didn't have good animation this aspect of it and more would be nullified.

TL:DR

I think that animation and story are inseparable.
Oct 11, 2017 3:41 PM

Sep 2015
back in my day still frames were enough to tell a story because it had depth and complexity

these days them kids only care about them sakugas. whatever the fuck that is!
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Oct 11, 2017 3:42 PM

Dec 2013
Could be, but honestly I've seen more bitching and moaning among the younger set when unique art styles don't fit the ubiquitous moe.
Oct 11, 2017 3:42 PM

Apr 2012
le_halfhand_easy said:
Animation can't tell a story? Really? What the hell did I just posted above then? Or the Koe no Katachi review in my signature? You can't seriously tell me that visuals and sound can't tell a story after that video.

That's not what I meant. I should have said "write a script" or something. Sorry for being unclear.
logopolisOct 11, 2017 3:48 PM
Oct 11, 2017 3:49 PM

Jul 2017
im 16 and animation is def a priority for me :3
it might be like 3/4th but its still high up there :3
1.Genre
2.Story
3.Characters
4.Animation
Oct 11, 2017 3:51 PM
Aug 2015
I honestly don't see this at all.
If anything, younger viewers are the ones who doesn't give a damn about animation quality and are satisfied with getting coloured strobes of light instead of actual animation, as long as it has all the necessary LN harem bullshit attached to it.
Oct 11, 2017 4:00 PM
Jun 2016
factssss. I used to choose anime based on how the art was. but now, i want to prove my youger self wrong.
Oct 11, 2017 4:07 PM
Jan 2016
Animation or overall visuals? Because I do not see many people care that much with animation, but many care about one of the visual aspect(e.g. character design, colour palette). Do not confuse yourself with the term animation. Animation is the movement, the fluidity of character's movement. Why do many anime fans do not understand what animation means?
Oct 11, 2017 4:08 PM

Sep 2014
It's not the 1970's old man, it's all about the Aesthetics.
Oct 11, 2017 5:02 PM

Oct 2015
Seiya said:

I love the look of older Anime because I grew up with it, and I'm not a big fan of most modern Anime.

However, I find it ironic that you scored "Angel's Egg" a 9, because I hated it.

Angles egg was super weird, abstract and arguably incredibly boring. However after seeing Chris Stuckmans's review on it, and his observations of the possible meanings behind the weird visuals, I began to understand it and gained an appreciation for it's uniqueness etc. I'd realistically give it a 5 or 6/10 but I gave it a 9 mainly because I think it's underrated/obscure. I wanted to hate at first but I kept watching it intensely to figure out what was happening.

I mean it's fine if you hated it, I don't think it's a masterpiece or whatever. I just appreciated what it was trying to do and accomplished.
Oct 11, 2017 5:29 PM

Nov 2008
Because they are spoiled little brats who are only used to anime on HD? :'D

Oct 11, 2017 5:36 PM

Sep 2015
Because its a VISUAL MEDIUM, the animation is a essential part of it, no matter what you think.
"You're a hero... and you have to leave."
Oct 11, 2017 5:36 PM
Apr 2015
"Why do people care so much about what distinguishes the anime medium from other mediums?"
Oct 11, 2017 5:52 PM

Jan 2014
It looks prettier. Shorter attention spans. Something like that.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 11, 2017 6:01 PM

Apr 2010
I also used to care so much about anime when I was younger...Before I woke up to a game called "Life".
Oct 11, 2017 6:02 PM

Jul 2017
I care about animation because A E S T H E T I C S. Sure story matters too but i can't be asked to watch pre-2000 anime

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Oct 11, 2017 6:09 PM

Jun 2011
JokerRabbitt said:
Because its a VISUAL MEDIUM, the animation is a essential part of it, no matter what you think.

Yes, but if I say old animaiton looks better, I tend to be seen as wrong.

But when I get to the 70's that is when I start to stutter a bit but even then, a lot of it, especially artstyle wise is so stunning...

But decade trends are like 20 years so of course the 90's mimiced the 70's

And yeah sometimes with the same animation director, able to improve.

(Oniisama e and rose of versailles have the same mangaka but also the same animation director.)

The anime community in a nutshell.
Oct 11, 2017 6:15 PM

Jun 2011
rvbrick said:
Good plot and characters can make up for the lack of good animation. Nothing makes up for the lack of good animation better than a director who works around it.

Two very famous anime (well, in Japan), Space Battleship Yamato and Macross are good examples. Yamato has limited animation, whereas Macross is more ambitious at the cost of the characters looking like they got hit in the face with a frying pan 80% of the time. Both have great stories and fantastic characters to make up for it. Hell, I rarely see any anime that don't have directors 100% aware of the animation flaws and work around it, the last example I can recall is Cosmo Warrior Zero, which would've come close to Musashi Gundoh tier shit animation if it was an action show.

I don't have much of a problem with people not wanting to watch something that doesn't have "good" animation, but I do highly despise the people who think that old anime isn't worth watching because the animation is bad, age has nothing to do with animation quality (Treasure Island and Lupin Part 3 are good proof off the top of my head TV wise, as far as movies go everyone who's seen them knows nothing has equaled Akira or the Macross film in terms of animation)

I agree. I try convincing new fans of that and they just do not see that at all.

But every animation I know that has motorcycles imitates Akira.

No shame in trying to make your no budget work.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Oct 11, 2017 6:16 PM

Aug 2015
Menzo- said:
I'd say it's got to do with growing up with everything being high quality and high definition, so seeing animation that isn't that can be a little unpleasant to the eyes.

Edit: Also it's not that they don't care for the story, characters etc, but it's just that having that visual stimulation is an important part of their watching experience
This.
I'm one of the people who quiet picky about animations. Because it kind of hurts my eyes to see animations that doesn't suit my taste.. Lol XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Oct 11, 2017 6:16 PM

Oct 2015
Sure, I start watching anime in 2012 and of course I must prefer the new art style . Refreshing for my eyes. But hey, I also care about the story for sure.
Oct 11, 2017 6:25 PM

Mar 2015
but famous popuar anime shows has much better animation than popular new shows... remember akira? dayum, even first gundam is lit AF... now? we get kemono frienzu...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 11, 2017 6:35 PM
May 2017
Darek said:
ART =/= ANIMATION
ART =/= ANIMATION
ART =/= ANIMATION
ART =/= ANIMATION

God freaking dammit, threads like this hurt my brain.

This sums up the thread. Distinct difference between what you like in style and the actual quality of animation.

That said, I have heard first hand of people not willing to give aged anime a shot just because they don't like the way it looks yet describing it as having bad animation. You can be pleasantly surprised by keeping an open mind about an aging anime, this goes for older anime fans in regards to current anime as well.
Oct 11, 2017 6:38 PM

Mar 2015
rvbrick said:
Kuma said:
but famous popuar anime shows has much better animation than popular new shows... remember akira? dayum, even first gundam is lit AF... now? we get kemono frienzu...

There's no consistency when it comes to TV anime.

One Punch Man has the most consistently great animation out of any TV anime I've watched, but when you compare the average show from the mid 80s-late 90s to the average show today, they're about the same when it comes to the animation quality.

I suppose a good comparison would be something like DBZ vs My Hero Academia. MHA has a ton of great animation in a short amount of episodes, whereas DBZ has a ton of great animation, but the fights take up a very large amount of episodes, both have really great fight animation, but one gets to the point while the other spends its time padding with dialogue and repeated animation. The most well animated moments in both are on the same level, once again proving that age does not = animation quality.

your point still rejecting OP point in the end... however, comparing BnHA to DBZ is not good either... it's long run and seasonal which has complitely different production.. i think you need to compare it with another long run, like sousei no onmyouji, world trigger, gintama...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 11, 2017 8:27 PM

Mar 2016
Ehhhhh, I don't get it either man. I've seen some great shows with lacklustre animation and I got through the series just fine.

I'd like to wager the same people who complain about animation quality are the same blokes who wine about insufferable art styles.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2017 8:33 PM
Jun 2017
Aquamirror said:
Nah, they only care about hot waifus. Look at Re:tard0
You don't see people screaming "OMG THIS ANIMATION IS SO GOOD", it's always "OMG REM BEST WAIFU AMIRITE".

Although most of the time anime with bad animation/character design/bad cgi lack good waifus.

I don't like Re:zero that much, but where did you got the "hot waifus" in Re:zero from?
i mean, Rem is ok, but yeah, not top tier waifu material
Oct 11, 2017 8:33 PM

Feb 2015
>I may be wrong, but it seems that the younger fans care mostly for animation

Yes you are indeed wrong, not only because you admit being wrong; you also don't have any YT links to support your claims. Therefore, you're just wrong.

Anyway, what's the point of even ranting about it? You always have your weekly dosage of isekai series each seasonal anime, so it doesn't really matter.
Oct 11, 2017 9:00 PM

May 2009
It's amazing how I can avoid MAL's forums for months and see the same threads over and over when I finally visit again.
Oct 11, 2017 9:51 PM

Nov 2014
Why do you care about the younger generation caring about animation? Does it affect your love for older styles of animation? Or maybe it's because these younger audiences doesn't appreciate old anime as much as you do and you felt offended about it? Like "Kids love SAO more than Cowboy Bebop just because of the animation? WHY?!"

mizukasaOct 11, 2017 10:05 PM
Oct 11, 2017 10:13 PM

Mar 2016
because kids now have expensive gadgets like iphone x and pc gaming in their rooms
kikiabdullOct 11, 2017 11:37 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Lifespan of an Anime fan?

Ex-Aid - 39 minutes ago

5 by ProGoddess »»
2 minutes ago

» Dumb narcissistic perverts is supposed to be funny?

Ri-KoRin - 4 minutes ago

0 by Ri-KoRin »»
4 minutes ago

» Your Favourite Anime Quotes!

on-luffy - Dec 2, 2023

41 by lifesaver64 »»
8 minutes ago

» Which Anime do you think has the overall best OP+ED+OSTs ? ( 1 2 )

NaRc0s_G - May 19

76 by Swyzen »»
12 minutes ago

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - May 16

116 by Fluffygreygrass »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.