Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 7, 2017 3:00 PM

Oct 2013
We all know that there are various different character design in anime, and that the character design can tell the audience what type of anime they are getting in, but which one do you like the most and which one you dislike the most?

I actually like most character design in anime, but there are a few that I dislike.

The type of character design I dislike the most are the chibi looking one for example made in the abyss.

I also don't like the madoka character design and soul eater, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying those series. But it can be annoying, especially when the series decide to include subtle fanservice in them, which is weird when you have your characters looking like 6 year old kids.

There are three reason why I think a author choose these character design, because 1, they are easy to draw, and 2, because they want to use these character design to deceive the audience of what the series actually is, or 3 they just like those type of character design.

So what are the types of character design to you guys like/dislike?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 7, 2017 3:04 PM

Aug 2013
I dislike something like character design from Made in Abyss too. I also hate character design from FMA:B. I don't like realistic design as well. Or ugly crap from Ping Pong. I hate Ufotable's character design without ANY details too.
My favorite character design comes from ~2001~2008.
Proper shading, high amount of details, big eyes, beautiful skirts etc.
Examples : Ef a tale of memories (generally Minori's character design is beautiful, Shaft made them beautiful in anime too), H2o, Clannad, Mashiroiro Symphony, Kobato, Da Capo, Shuffle, Suzuka, Onegai Teacher, Sola etc.
I like common moe style too.
rsc-plOct 7, 2017 3:21 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 7, 2017 3:06 PM

Sep 2012
Dislike: anything A-1 spits out
Generic LN character designs
Loli designs
Jaws-so-sharp-they-can-act-like-swords designs

Like: designs like Gilgamesh; clean, straightforward, easily recognizable
guys with actual guy face
girls with necks wider than my dick
Oct 7, 2017 3:10 PM

Feb 2013
i like inherently funny designs like my avatars
Oct 7, 2017 3:10 PM

Feb 2017
I can't stand it when the eyes are far apart. I can't bring myself to watch Clannad just because of the damn eyes. Kanon is another anime I hate the appearance of, even though I'm sure I would enjoy the story.
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Oct 7, 2017 3:11 PM

Sep 2017
I dont watch for the art btw. If it has a good plot then all is well.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 7, 2017 3:12 PM

Jul 2015
For me I like the generic Moe character design
I find it cute and beautiful

Character design I hate are like the ones in ping pong Kaiji aku no hana ...
Ugly as hell
Oct 7, 2017 3:13 PM

Dec 2014
I like unique character designs that are easily recognizable. Bonus points if they either makes sense in the context of the show like the Exorcist uniforms in D Gray Man or are so over the top they make no sense like Simon's star glasses in Gurren Lagann. I hate lazy generic "light novel protagonist" design and the generic cute anime girl design, give me something like Kiryuuin Satsuki anyday.
Oct 7, 2017 3:15 PM

Nov 2016
I'm a big fan of the Madoka character designs but I absolutely cannot stand the Code Geass character designs. It's odd because Nana is one of my favourites but has a somewhat similar design to CG. I do prefer the story that Nana has though.
Oct 7, 2017 3:17 PM
Jul 2018
I like "unrealistic" and more interesting designs, actually the designs you dislike are among the ones I like quite a bit. I also like all the designs by Imaishi and Studio Trigger, they are rather simple, pretty to look at, they do not hang on being too realistic thus being easier to recognize since in animation you cannot have enough detail to be able to recognize them like normal people. And well I also like if they is some thought put into them other than "this looks cool" tho I do not mind simple cool looking stuff either.

Generally here is a list:
- The characters are relatively simple.
- They stand out both in comparison to other shows and to other characters in the show.
- They are not 100% random and have some sort of purpose/logic, even something as a mean-looking character with the purpose of deceiving the viewer will do. Or just mean looking because the character is a villain, I dunno.

There is not design I particularly dislike but I tend to be somewhat indifferent towards anything overly detailed or realistic. I also do not like designs that do not stand out and are so bland within their own universe, that I literally confuse one character with another (Fuck you Mahouka).
removed-userOct 7, 2017 3:44 PM
Oct 7, 2017 3:30 PM

Jul 2016
The only time I really dislike a character design is when they have those mid-2000s eyes that take up half their faces or when they look like spaghetti noodles a la code geass. I can sorta put up with the skinny noodle people in Nana (currently watching) cause I like the plot, except when Nana K says she's insecure about being fat because I can't tell if she's a skinny girl who has body image issues anyway (makes sense given the rest of her character) or if the character designs don't match up with that story detail cause everyone looks that way as the default weight setting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2017 3:33 PM

Jan 2009
i like simple character designs that will be easy to draw for the animators so i can expect a lot of sakuga or awesome animation especially if a show is an action oriented one

just look at Mob Psycho 100 and Soul Eater same is true for Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill for example
Oct 7, 2017 3:34 PM

Mar 2016
I love it when a character's design is one you can't describe in a single line/adjective or two. Take for example Jibril from NGNL

She's got wings, a halo, crosses for irises, the ears of something-I-don't-know, tattoos and a dress. This might seem like a random mishmash (and in truth it probably is) but I love it when a character has lots of details added to him/her. I makes each glance at him/her interesting.
Oct 7, 2017 3:38 PM

Jun 2017
My favourite one :

I have never seen Clannad because of its character design

Oct 7, 2017 3:41 PM

Feb 2016
I haven't seen a character design that I really hate or saw ultimately unfitting for a specific series. It's a very case by case scenario, so if it fits the setting and overall art choice, it's alright I guess.

I originally didn't mind Madoka's character designs, although later after watching more anime I started noticing they are a bit weird.
Maybe the character designs that bothered me the most were in Hitsugi no Chaika. They are kinda too much busy with details, and even though the color palette is nice, sometimes they look too contrasting even with themselves.. Which is probably intentional and fine and gives unique look, but not exactly something I'd say to be the best looking for me and didn't feel they quite fit with the background at times.
And of course, the ugly deformed faces in Sora no Kiseki OVA, but that anime never existed ;)

It's hard to point an anime with character design that I consider to be the best looking or my favorite, although in general I'm a sucker for more light colors and moe :3. If I really had to choose though, that would be Sasami-san@Ganbaranai maybe? (too bad that anime is trash)
AquamirrorOct 8, 2017 2:29 AM
Oct 7, 2017 4:14 PM

Mar 2015
I like female characters with white or silver hair and with this type of eyes.

My Candies:

My bonus Candies:
Oct 7, 2017 4:29 PM

Jul 2010
Dislike: Nothing

An anime is complete with its character design. I can't say, "This anime would be better with this kind of character design.". I too disliked Riko from Made in Abyss. But when I thought about it, maybe Riko is the reason I like everything else in Made in Abyss. So I need Riko. We all need more Riko in our lifes.

Everything contributes to advancement of anime. I think more producers should try styles like Ping-pong etc.

I also like strong looking female character design. Not necessarily masculine, but somehow they make you feel they are strong in their fragile body. Examples: CC, Erza, Mononoke Hime
OonokamiOct 7, 2017 4:33 PM
Oct 7, 2017 6:19 PM

Jul 2016
@TheDeadApostle

Unsettling angel.
Roses are red, violets are blue
The words ahead are false
The words behind are true
Oct 7, 2017 6:23 PM

Aug 2015
Most of all I like huge clothing, hair, and/or weapons on small characters.
Oct 7, 2017 6:24 PM
Jun 2016
Those that have a bad scale
Those that have too much details
Those that have not enough details
Oct 7, 2017 6:31 PM

Apr 2017
Devilman Crybaby >>>>>>> Devilman 90s

Yuasa btw?

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Oct 7, 2017 6:33 PM

Jan 2017
There isn't a particular character design style I dislike but I do hate character designs that are sloppy. For example, the original Sailor Moon Crystal character designs... cringe.

im weeb trash

Oct 7, 2017 6:49 PM

Aug 2014
I love Mamoru Hosoda's somewhat slender style, it appears so smooth when animated

It also gives me a sort of nostalgic feeling, probably because of Bokura no War Game
It can also easily lead to very cool animations and even adapt perfectly well with those kinda horror feelings you can find in One Piece's 6th movie:
Ruka desu.
Oct 7, 2017 6:58 PM

Apr 2015
MAND4 said:
Dislike: anything A-1 spits out
Generic LN character designs
Loli designs
Jaws-so-sharp-they-can-act-like-swords designs

Like: designs like Gilgamesh; clean, straightforward, easily recognizable
guys with actual guy face
girls with necks wider than my dick

You're saying you don't fantasize about your massive bear cock forcefully widening your 2-D waifu's neck by a factor of 10 during the best deepthroat session this site of Nippon?
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 7, 2017 11:52 PM

Mar 2012
Nothing in particular, but bishounen/bishoujo would be a plus as long as it's not overdone with too bright colors that make my eyes hurt. I can like pretty much anything excluding the ones listed in my dislikes.

Dislikes:
- Overly skinny characters that look nothing more than bones like Samurai Champloo

- Ugly Unique looking ones like Aku no Hana, Afro Samurai, Jo Jo

- Unrealistic proportions like xxxHolic

- Too pointy chins, male characters that always leave too many buttons on their shirt open, female characters with over-sized bouncy boobs

- Pretty blonde characters both male and female, they usually turn out to be shit tsunderes. Why must tsunderes be always made to look so pretty!?

- Chibis and characters with too big eyes
Maou_heikaOct 7, 2017 11:58 PM
Oct 8, 2017 4:01 AM

Jun 2017
Its seems like you are talking about the style of the anime.

Isn't the chara-design more about the way chara behave/ what they wear/ how they are (height, stature,... )?

In Made in abyss, the whole anime has a "childish style" (I didn't find other word to define it) for exemple.

So about the style,
A contrast between the style and the theme and the action, does not annoy me.
It can even be funny/ interesting as this is unusual (Made in Abyss/ Kaiba)

Also the style of the anime where Yuasa is director are all very enjoyable (and different from one another)

About what I think is the Chara-design,
I like it when I remember the character for what they are and not only for what they did in the anime.

So I can think of the character of steins;gate, cowboy bebop and samurai champloo with their style and habits.
And probably K-on, because I have no reason to like it that much beside of the chara.

Oct 8, 2017 4:12 AM

Jun 2016
I really dislike character design in shounen stuff like Dragon Ball or Yugioh. Normies have developed a stereotype because of these popular anime that every character is buff with retarded spiky hair. When in reality, anime can take on a variety of styles, some which are extremely pretty.
Oct 8, 2017 4:17 AM

Jun 2016
KaKtusKipiK said:
Its seems like you are talking about the style of the anime.

Isn't the chara-design more about the way chara behave/ what they wear/ how they are (height, stature,... )?

In Made in abyss, the whole anime has a "childish style" (I didn't find other word to define it) for exemple.

So about the style,
A contrast between the style and the theme and the action, does not annoy me.
It can even be funny/ interesting as this is unusual (Made in Abyss/ Kaiba)

Also the style of the anime where Yuasa is director are all very enjoyable (and different from one another)

About what I think is the Chara-design,
I like it when I remember the character for what they are and not only for what they did in the anime.

So I can think of the character of steins;gate, cowboy bebop and samurai champloo with their style and habits.
And probably K-on, because I have no reason to like it that much beside of the chara.

I think that's more the writer's job rather than the character designer.

From Google: "The character design is the process which comes after the characterisation and consists in defining the character through his/her physical appearance."
Oct 8, 2017 4:20 AM

Jan 2017
The Clannad types don't appeal to me. Perhaps those were the styles that were popular back then.. but not for me. Like Ah! My Goddess. You have the original and then the remake. I don't like the original styling but the remake was nice. I'm a bit on the fence with Love Live. Sometimes their candy coloured eyes are scary.

My fave character design are like Hibike Eupho, Amagami, Eromanga Sensei, New Game and Kancolle. I'm a sucker for Moe types?
Oct 8, 2017 4:24 AM

Jul 2013
Wait, the characters in Made in Abyss are not even that chibi. Well not like your example anyway. Sure they are a cutesy design, but they are definitely not as chibi as you are saying they are lol.

But designs I actually hate?
Oct 8, 2017 4:30 AM

Sep 2017
I dislike it when the characters when they have huge breasts or a skirt when it is literally freezing outside

But I really like colors in designs

And I also like realistic stuff from time to time.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Oct 8, 2017 4:33 AM

Jun 2017
@aj_nn
I did try to find a definition before posting because it was odd to me.

But I didn't find a definition beside of this link in english:
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Character+design

I might not find yours because google in set on french. And in my language the definition is in accord with the one I linked above, since the world exists unchanged.
Oct 8, 2017 4:33 AM

Mar 2015
i have really big tolerance for art style, i pick my atention more on expression...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 8, 2017 5:01 AM
Jul 2018
pgmhecateii said:
I like character designs that have normal looking anime characters. Not […] tall and slender (like Code Geass but I still enjoyed it)

Being tall and skinny is part of the canon of the shōjo design. Code Geass characters being designed by CLAMP.
If shōjo design isn't a "normal looking anime character", then nothing is.
removed-userOct 8, 2017 5:06 AM
Oct 8, 2017 5:11 AM

Feb 2014
I like Gainax/Trigger character designs the most. They don't waste time on drawing elaborate kaleidoscopic irises and instead channel all that needless effort into drawing complete faces with actual features, like a goddamn nose and bigger distinct mouths. Not to mention, most of their characters have a unique face, rather than a samey face copy-pasted from a face template.

And 80's and 90's character designs in general (especially from the OVAs).
Oct 8, 2017 5:40 AM

May 2008
i absolutely adore the character design in the old digimon movies

and flcl

idk i like simple designs and pale colors
Oct 8, 2017 7:04 AM

Aug 2015
Ugh... There's too many art that I dislike... Though some of them didn't stop me from enjoying the anime, most of them does..
The art style that I not too fond of is for ezample:
Ping pong
Sydonia kingdom (or something like that)
Clannad
Code Geass (well, I guess all CLAMP teenager-adult art.. The children's are cute tho.. Like CCS)
Ore monogatari
Gakuen handsome (:'v)
Lance N Masque's (or smt..)
And most of older arts..

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Oct 8, 2017 8:05 AM
Jul 2018
pgmhecateii said:
I specifically meant Code Geass, Ouran Koukou designs are a little bit too long, and shoujo designs are normal, if you're talking about things like Kimi ni Todoke or Kaichou wa Maid-sama or any of the popular shoujos.

I haven't watched/read those two particular titles.

I'm just saying that being tall and skinny, anorexic-like, is totally normal for a shōjo design, that was the first design to appear in the shōjo, the historical one, hence the "canon" one. That's because of the art nouveau influence, and a lot early shōjo were actually ballet-story.

Depending of the works, some are rather extreme in that kind of design, while others are more tame, if not very visible anymore. Recent works are less anorexic globally, because of the influence of the moe and the chibi designs that are more round, puffy. (if the moe design is more shōnen/seinen, the chibi is also born in the shōjo)

Beside CLAMP's works, check stuffs like Utena, Nana, Natsu e no Tobira, Patalliro, et cætera… for other examples of very anorexic shōjo works.
removed-userOct 8, 2017 8:09 AM
Oct 8, 2017 10:45 AM

Oct 2013
@Calal-Chan

My example is literally drawn from the mangaka. Also I still don't like the one you've shown.

@aliquae

I dislike it when the characters when they have huge breasts or a skirt when it is literally freezing outside

That is not disliking it for its character design at all.

Oct 8, 2017 11:04 AM

Nov 2013
I don't have a particular type of design I prefer, just as long as it looks good. Sometimes, I don't even mind the design if it's a bit weird like Kaiji or Ping Pong, as long as the animation itself is good and the show is interesting.

Oh and I prefer my girls with big breasts and cute with twin-tails
Oct 8, 2017 12:55 PM

Sep 2017
keragamming said:

@aliquae

That is not disliking it for its character design at all.

Hmmm I think I choose the wrong words while typing. I guess, what I was trying to say is that I don't like it when certain body parts are out of its natural porportions, or when the clothes that the character is wearing does not seem to fit withing the context. Or something like that.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Oct 8, 2017 1:19 PM

Jul 2013
@keragamming Fair enough, but they don't look like the one you posted all the time. That was my point.
Oct 8, 2017 6:27 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
An example of character designs that I like are the ones from pandora hearts
LeonhartAugustOct 8, 2017 6:34 PM
Oct 8, 2017 9:54 PM

Dec 2015
I really like shoujo designs starting from the 2000's and Kyoani designs. When they fit the anime they can make an anime better than other styles. Also for darker stuff I prefer Yoshitaka Amano's designs.
Oct 8, 2017 10:07 PM

Sep 2016
As long as it's not utsu musume sayuri levels of ugly or too bland i don't really mind it, tho i don't really like some of those mid 2000's ugly character designs with shitty shading. I especially like well made chibi like made in abyss did and character designs that play around with very specific physical traits like hunter x hunter.
Oct 8, 2017 10:38 PM

Jan 2010
Character design is VERY important for me, as part of "CHARACTER" as my main element for deciding to watch an anime or not.

I dislike
Chibi and too moe (this is why I didn't pick Madoka up until it got so popular I had to check it out)
Too realistic
Ugly
CGI (this one is more art style than character design)

Distinctive (but still attractive in my eyes. Okay I'm talking about art style for this one too)
Has some unique/iconic feature (this is important especially for main cast, to leave a lasting impression)
Some examples:
- Naruto's color blind clothing lol
- Sakura's red with white circle clothing
- Bakugou's hero costume. Why I really like his costume? Beside it looks so damn good on him, it also one of the most unique and iconic, like his gauntlets and mask, the orange cross and neck part, also shoes
- Midoriya's red shoes, big yellow bag, freckles
- Zoro's three earrings in one ear
- Law's spotted hat, Luffy's straw hat, Sabo and Ace's hat
- Eustass's red coat and goggles, Killer's helmet/mask
- Doflamingo's everything. I think he has a very great character design
- Honestly, most One Piece's characters have great design

Below is my personal preferences, or things that I find attractive
Both sex:
- Silver/white hair
- Ashy blond hair
- Red hair
- Red eyes
- Golden eyes
- Abs
- Sharp/piercing eyes
- Tattoos
Female:
- Big boobs
- Long hair
- Bangs
- Straight/flat tips (like Nobume, Hinata,...)
Male:
- Spiky hair
- Short hair
- Sideburn
- Muscular
Oct 8, 2017 10:43 PM

Jun 2011
Like:
Oldschool Shoujo styles
Yugioh
Pokemon
A lot of kids cartoons actually....
Aku no Hana
Rumiko Takahashi
Nakamura
A lot of 70s-90's Bishies are very cutes

Dislikes:
GAR
KyoAni but not Kyoani.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Oct 9, 2017 12:48 AM

Jun 2009
Hmm I usually try not to judge the art too hard (although it does factor into my overall enjoyment of the show) because I feel like the plot/story is a lot more important. With that said, there are certain types of character designs that I prefer/like and some that I dislike/puts me off

WHAT I LIKE :
-characters that looks different from one another. & no I don't mean just different eyes/hair color & different hairstyle. Like, you can actually tell them apart easily. Really give them a lot more characteristics and individuality.
Examples are AOT, FMA, Haikyuu, kuroko no basket, d. gray man

-characters w/ simple designs & realistic hair colors/styles
Examples are Kimi no na wa, your lie in april, koe no katachi

WHAT I DISLIKE:
-characters that look tooooo unrealistic to the point of creepy. I understand it's anime so artists are free to design their characters however they like but easy on the eyes pls (get it?..). Examples of creepy looking eyes are no game no life, clannad, kanon, fruit basket
I mean just looking at their eyes hurt my eyes

-characters that have disproportionate body
Examples are Code Geass, xxxholic, one piece

-characters that look like little kids or if I'm using this term correctly..."MOE" or Loli (??)
Examples are Taiga from toradora, characters from Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica, tsukasa from lucky star, Aria Holmes Kanzaki from Hidan no Aria, etc..the list goes on and on..

*I actually rlly like Code Geass & One piece despite not being fond of the character design which goes to show plot > character design in the end :)
**Weird thing is although I don't like how OP character looks, OP world is gorgeous (so colorful & detailed i love it)
ChronicleOct 9, 2017 1:06 AM
Oct 9, 2017 12:55 AM

Aug 2009
The closer something looks to Madoka, the less likely I'm gonna watch it, especially if said show is in the ecchi genre.

Oct 9, 2017 5:14 AM
Nov 2016
I hate... macho design? Um, you know, the bara design, which everyone is muscular and very manly and very scary and such things...

While my favorite designs are classical yet cute? Something like Kuroshitsuji or Pandora Hearts (the manga, especially). Oh, I love beautiful character design like Hyouka or Hibike Euphonium, too.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 16 minutes ago

2 by logopolis »»
7 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 11 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

38 by _gt_ohn »»
10 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by logopolis »»
10 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

21 by xqXpx »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.