Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 7, 2017 12:44 PM
Oct 2010
pcf2 said:
GD1551 said:
Just saw movie and it was a master piece, better than the crappy original.

saw it and its not better than the original

Uses the world better, has way better dialogue, has way better pacing and acting and adds another layer to the central theme of the franchise. Way way better than the original.
Oct 7, 2017 12:59 PM

Dec 2015
GD1551 said:
pcf2 said:

Uses the world better, has way better dialogue, has way better pacing and acting and adds another layer to the central theme of the franchise. Way way better than the original.

it tries too hard to emulate what was good about the original and doesnt do it a whole lot of justice its not bad, but doesnt compare to the original however, it does work as a easier movie to digest for casuals (that want big blockbuser set pieces for some reason)

[edit i take it back it does do the original justice but doesnt do a whole lot different i give the original movie bonus points for actually being original]

Talking about dialogue do we have a scene thats considered one of the best dialogues in sci-fi movie history in the new movie ? no.. no we don't. not one scene thats better than the original endings dialogue.
Pcf2Oct 8, 2017 9:23 AM
what's the question when they're calling you the answer?
Oct 7, 2017 5:10 PM

Jun 2015
GD1551 said:

Did you rewatch the original before watching the new one? I'm the same like you when first watched the original but you should try to rewatch it, maybe you will like it more. Keep in mind when rewatching it that this movie is about android that tries to be more human, they aren't evil. If you think they are evil it's the same like say to survive/live is a crime.

Well, the new one is good and it used the world more than the original because it is about exploration to find oneself but I don't think the dialogue is better than the original. Like the above guy said I don't find monologue as amazing like the tears in the rain. Overall, I still prefer the original.
BadassOct 7, 2017 5:14 PM
Oct 8, 2017 4:18 AM
Jan 2016
The visuals were amazing & the CGI implementation was well done, but that's it. Everything else felt distant & cold.
Oct 8, 2017 6:03 PM

Dec 2011
pcf2 said:
GD1551 said:

Ok, but like I stated the pacing is terrible because there aren't many action or dramatic scenes to break up the overly long conversations. It doesn't matter if it's not a drama or action film, I've watched plenty and read plenty of material that isn't, the problem is that the pacing itself is horrendous and a lot of the dialogue isn't great either or way too long. The apartment scene for instance, is way way way too long for what it delivers.

What's the issue here? It's ultimately BORING with a lot the length of many of the conversations being extremely unnecessary (that apartment scene is ridiculous) especially given how good the visual story telling is in the movie.

Removing the pretentious aspect most people seem to have with this movie

The characters aren't great, the pacing isn't great, the story isn't great either. Also you are wrong, action scenes do provide a lot of world building, no clue what you are talking about. I hate when people say stuff like this because it's extremely simple minded, you come with a preconceived notion of what world building is and somehow believe that action scenes cannot provide it. Even in meh movies like judge dredd, you get a feel for the world by the action scenes alone. You can tell crime is out of control by the way judges enforce the law without any stats or long talks stating the fact.

Judge the original on what it tried to achieve and how well it achieves it. We all should agree that its not a action film the lack of action isnt legitimate criticism its like complaing a bike hasnt got a lot of wheels like a car and saying it sucks.

As i said before in my previous post BR is detective film noir which are known for this kind of storytelling. You need to say more than "its boring" there are plenty of anime i could name that wont "hold your hand" and wont cater to your limited attention span with action especially since thats not the directors intentions.
with your way of thinking you probably have a disliking to a lot of classics that dont put the catering of the audience above what its trying to set out.

GITS first movie doesnt hit you over the head as it doesnt tell the audience what to feel, or suggest one way is better than the other the movie does roll over a lot of themes, but how you interpret these themes and what side you choose is really up to you. Even without the action GITS would still be a pretty good movie.

The boat scene in particular battles with the Majors conflicts accompanied with great visuals if you felt like you got nothing out of that and spent 5 minutes twiddling your fingers, then the fault is really with you and not the movie.

I agree with the other person in this thread it does seem like you had your own preconcieved notions on how BR should be and when it didnt meet up to them you bashed it not putting the intentions of the film into consideration. literally no one watches BR/GITS for the action at least i believe they shouldnt its not the point.

You havent really justified why the film sucks saying the characters arent the best/greatest doesnt say much, yes it has long dialogue scenes, but i dont think thats an oversite it seems intentional. I also suggest you rewatch the BR scenes i mentioned in my previous post as they're examples of good dialogue.

slow pacing=/= bad pacing

slow pacing isnt necessarily bad. if thats what the show calls for then its not a problem. Slow pacing is only bad when its not intentional and becomes problematic for the story.

Thank you. I've watched the original Blade Runner today and I'm quite disappointed, I had the same impression as you with the movie. BR have a bad pacing (and I love slow pacing made well, Texhnolyze is my fav anime), the acting is awful and the movie is always trying to get some deep thinking, but is almost always fails at it.
In the end the plot is full of potential, but it's too shallow. Now I'm looking forward to read the original book by Philip K. Dick to see all this potential be delivered. All the three short movies were great too, and I'm going to watch BR 2049 tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, watching the original BR makes me see all the influence of this movie to cyberpunk in general, but the other works made using BR as inspiration surprass it by a huge amount. Ghost in the Shell for me is a great example, it's one of my favorite movies.
Oct 9, 2017 11:20 AM

Dec 2008
15 minutes of my life well spent. Wish it was a series.
Oct 9, 2017 12:47 PM
Jun 2016
it was a flashy but shallow experience just like anything the hack known as shinichiro watanabe gets his hands on. i didn't really like the dub either.

i like the original film a lot and it saddens me that so many people here don't appreciate it like they should. it's truly a masterpiece.
'ate gundam
Oct 15, 2017 6:55 AM

Jan 2009
Wish this start a series. Truly good short.
Oct 15, 2017 1:16 PM
Nov 2009
Watched the movie before this and I still enjoyed this.
Dec 30, 2017 4:06 AM

Dec 2012
Interesting that they decided to produce 3 shorts anime/movie to detail the missing parts of the story.
It was good, with a nice animation during the fights and impressive city backgrounds, but it was way too short :/.
Dec 30, 2017 4:23 AM
Mar 2012
Awesome acrobatic fights & explosions & cityscape as beautiful as the new film.
Funny this is bit short & Watanabe should make more episodes, while felt the new film was too long.
The style is really nice, use of slow-mo sparingly vs fast action & deformed figures, wish to see more like this.
Jan 11, 2018 4:02 AM

Dec 2012
In case you mistook it for Los New York.
So that's what he was made for. lol
Damn. Trixie got the moves.
Dat right eye.
She got shot. Shouldn't have been staring at that bird while in mid air.
Dat explosion.
When it all! When it all falls down!

It was okay. Nice fight scenes.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 14, 2018 2:38 PM

Oct 2015
This was interesting too bad it was a mere 15min and the girl got shot, she looked interesting and those killer moves tho. The animation was pretty great and the real movie looks interesting but seems to be one of those sci-fi's. I would've liked an anime of this one and probably would enjoy it.

6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 12, 2018 9:40 PM

Mar 2018
I mean, one of the main things i synonymise with BladeRunner is the often long periods of silence and the atmosphere that's created as a result. This didn't really feel like BladeRunner to me besides the premise.

But i guess this point is futile. It's an Anime after all and only 15 minutes long. In that regards this was brilliantly done. The character designs were great, most notably Iggy. The sound was amazing and the plot was short, concise and easy to follow. Watanabe is a god.

I really wish this wasn't a short though. The 15 minute length went way too fast and i felt immersed in the anime in such a short amount of time. It left me wanting more. Imagine an entire season of this.

Recommend me some short Manga!

Jan 24, 2019 4:00 AM

Jan 2011
It was fine. It was nice to look at but not exactly something that significantly adds to the verse.
Jun 20, 2019 12:34 PM

Jun 2009
Saw Blade Runner 2049 in the cinema and I only just now watched this. Loved the film and this was pretty good for a one episode short.

This short had Watanabe's style all over it for sure.

Can't wait for the series directed by Shinji Aramaki and Kenji Kamiyama + Produced by Shinichiro Watanabe and Mitsuhisa Ishikawa. If the series is anything like this I'll probably love it as much as I love GitS and Cowboy Bebop.
Jun 26, 2019 7:50 AM

Oct 2013
It was simply beautiful in every aspect. This short animation represents very high quality of art and music, breathtaking landscapes and almost poetic sceneries which are perfectly corresponding with characters' feelings. Voice acting was great as well (I have only seen English dubbed version, by the way).

I have seen it some time after watching "Blade Runner 2049", but even if its an introduction to this movie I think I wouldn't have had problems with understanding its plot and world if I had seen it right before the main movie.

Call me as a blasphemer, but in terms of storytelling this show was better than famous "Ghost in the Shell". At least in my opinion. I know, I know - we have had "Blade Runner" since 1982, so the plot was more friendly to be understood by viewers than it was for people who weren't familiar with GitS' manga, but still if you weren't familiar with Blade Runner's universe, then it was born a problem to be fully entertained by "Blade Runner: Black Out 2022".
Jul 4, 2019 7:34 PM

Aug 2007
Oh wow, animation and sound is great.
I feel like I want a lot more to get a chance to get attached to the characters.
Since this is a prequel to BLADE RUNNER – BLACK LOTUS that will come out, I might bump my score accordingly. For now it's a 6/10.

Jul 30, 2019 5:15 AM

Jul 2013
It was alright. I'll get into the Blade Runner franchise someday. I miss the dystopian cyberpunk era T_T
Aug 30, 2019 9:12 AM
Oct 2015
It was good. The animation was top-notch. Nothing less from Watanabe.
I also got some 'Terror in Resonance' vibes mostly because of the action and its premise (not the franchise).
That ending song was so apt and I liked it.
I really admire the 1982 film since it inspired so many of my fav animes like GITS, AKIRA and BEBOP and looking forward to watch the 'Black Lotus' whenever it comes out.
Sep 23, 2019 11:15 AM

Mar 2014
I loved how this short experimented by using a variety of different artstyles, but some I definitely liked better than others.
The story seemed very basic, essentially just hinting at the idea of humanity vs. replicants that isn't really expanded upon here, and really only serving as a set-up for the action scenes.

So, as nice as the art was, the way the plot was written brought it down a notch for me. It tries to do too much in 15 minutes, and it's left feeling incomplete, and we're left not really knowing these characters. Perhaps it comes off better as an introduction to the main film, but as somebody who is just watching this as a standalone thing, I'm impressed by the animation, but it's just not enough.
::End of Transmission::

May 17, 2020 9:21 AM
Jul 2018
GD1551 said:
pcf2 said:

2h44m... better pacing.. lol
The exact same type of dialogue as the original
Doesn't 'use the world better', it's an hour longer but takes place in like 5 locations

The original had mystery, suspense, tragedy, an actual good fight scene
The new one had Jared Leto doing weird things, for no reason, he wasn't even a proper villain
removed-userMay 17, 2020 9:25 AM
Jul 19, 2020 6:08 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The animations kinda crappy at sometimes. The art was okay, not much beautiful attempt. The soundtrack was an absolute nice, suitable for the theme, and very catchy to my ears. The storylines so far seems to be very intrigueing. The black thing with such a dark theme, my favourite.

7/10

Looking forward the continuations.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 11, 2021 10:17 PM
Jul 2018
wow, i really really loved this. i think this goes without mentioning but the art was so damn nice, could get multiple wallpapers just from this short episode. animation was just spectacular, super smooth and beautiful, as well as the cityscapes and background which were also absolutely amazing, i may just be a sucker for cyberpunk shit but we really need more cyberpunk anime, or just cyberpunk media in general. story and characters were decent enough too, not much you can do in 15 minutes but i feel like they had some quite good designs and fit the vibe well, not sure entirely what the story was about either but it was still easy to follow along and the scenes looked very cool. in the end, i do have to say this is one of the better things i've watched, overall a 7/10 from me.
Apr 11, 2021 10:38 PM
Jul 2018
thepath said:
It was so good. I hope we we get full TV series out of this
Hannah_Ana said:
15 minutes of my life well spent. Wish it was a series.
WhiteTestament said:
Wish this start a series. Truly good short.
lihle808 said:
I would've liked an anime of this one and probably would enjoy it.
WAQR said:
It left me wanting more. Imagine an entire season of this.
well, i've got some good news for you all, the 13 episode sequel series Blade Runner: Black Lotus is coming this year!
May 30, 2021 10:36 PM
Dec 2017
it was a pretty good short and i love to see black lotus soon

Apr 26, 2022 9:00 PM

Mar 2010
Aww rip to some of the characters. I am glad it wasn't too long for me to get attached to the characters.
Sep 17, 2022 10:23 AM

May 2022
Blackout was great and filled the gap I missed out in 2017, really glad they made it :)
Mar 1, 2023 5:15 AM

Jul 2021
I love how the animation actually looks like the classic 1990’s anime films and series

Mar 23, 2023 12:15 AM
Jan 2015
Pretty much a big fat meh. What's the relationship between the prostitute replicant and the final mission? Obviously she was used to implant the idea to the rocket operator, but after that, what's the point to "rescue" her by Iggy? Sure, nice eye candy and some nice flips and jump kicks, but that's it?

Not impressed.
Sep 3, 2023 6:12 AM

Nov 2010
Reply to Pcf2
GD1551 said:
Just saw movie and it was a master piece, better than the crappy original.

@Pcf2 I saw and liked both, but I enjoyed 2049 more, mostly because of the OST and aesthetics. I also like bittersweet endings.

I need a replicant waifu like Trixie! Her combat moves were hot. However, I still prefer JOI since she can be customized, never ages, and easily brought everywhere.

This is an okay supplement to the movie. It's super rushed and doesn't flesh out the backstory. They should've made 12 episodes about this instead.
MizuhoKamuiSep 3, 2023 7:14 AM
Sep 22, 2023 3:31 PM

Aug 2010
Hmm. This looks really great, and it captures the Blade Runner atmosphere, but with the short length, I wasn't able to get emotionally invested.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jan 13, 3:38 AM

Jan 2013
it all makes soo much more sense now!
Jan 28, 12:35 PM

Apr 2015
Watching the Blade Runner movies for the first time...

This little short was really good. Loved everything about the series overall, hope to see the new Prime series come and be as good.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Where can I watch this anime?

Lydark_007 - Nov 15, 2021

3 by Jinx_Araragi »»
Sep 17, 2022 10:18 AM

» Does Blade Runner 2049 reference this?

AcbSnakeDemon - Jun 20, 2021

5 by O_T_T »»
Sep 25, 2021 2:34 AM

» Official season?

akiraic - Sep 27, 2017

5 by removed-user »»
Aug 26, 2021 8:51 AM

» Trixie: Replicant or Human?

blurbyglurb - Jan 24, 2021

0 by blurbyglurb »»
Jan 24, 2021 8:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.