Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever avoided an anime for a single reason?

New
Sep 24, 2017 2:33 PM
Mar 2017
I'm curious if anyone else has avoided an anime for just one reason only , excluding prequels and sequels of shows ie if you watched season 1 of an anime but didnt like it and so you avoided any other season of the anime because you didn't like the first season.

I've avoided Shingeki no Kyojin / Attack on Titan for sole reason of the titans looking weird and gross.
HelloSenpaiSep 24, 2017 2:40 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 24, 2017 2:37 PM

Sep 2017
None so far. Most of the series I avoided gets picked up by me after some time.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 24, 2017 2:38 PM

Oct 2013
I avoided PS for a while because a design this ugly feels like an insult to my gender

Japan please if anything. Stop making ugly character designs
Sep 24, 2017 2:38 PM

Apr 2017
I avoided mushishi cuz its slice of life , Im not into SOL shows

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Sep 24, 2017 2:39 PM

Feb 2013
if you include reasons like "it looks like shit [read: i wouldnt like this]" as single reasons im pretty sure everyone did

there is only so much seisen cerberus one can take in a lifetime, and the mal page is usually enough

Jul 2016
I've avoided anime if they are feminist.

Sep 2016
I avoid every A-1 picture show because of that story with one of their employees who worked 600 hours in a month and commited suicide. I know overworking deaths are a thing in every studio but that one was just overkill.
Sep 24, 2017 2:41 PM

Feb 2013
Savajho said:
I avoid every A-1 picture show because of that story with one of their employees who worked 600 hours in a month and commited suicide. I know overworking deaths are a thing in every studio but that one was just overkill.
one of the interesting thing i heard about a-1 pictures is "Being owned by Sony, this is basically a mercenary group with different key staff most of the time. Add to the fact that their third/fourth series on the rank always suffers means that the name rarely means anything."
Sep 24, 2017 2:42 PM

Jan 2013
Yeah I guess so. I avoid watching NGE cause it's all about muh symbolism apparently, and all the references tend to fly over my head each time so no, thank you. I'm not going to waste my time on another 3deep5me show.
Sep 24, 2017 2:43 PM

Aug 2012
Nope but if it ever happens, i'll just bite the bullet and watch it.
Sep 24, 2017 3:15 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
oh boy... here comes the "the fanservice" crowd :/
Sep 24, 2017 3:18 PM

Jul 2016
I avoid Clannad cause the character designs are nightmare inducing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2017 3:19 PM

Jul 2015
Garbage main love interest or shitty art
One of them is enough for me to avoid any anime
Sep 24, 2017 3:19 PM

Mar 2016
Looking at the page and guessing there is not enough fanservice in a show that need fanservice. This happened 3 or 4 times already.
Sep 24, 2017 3:20 PM

Jul 2012
I avoid action/fantasy/medieval because I know I'll get bored of it.
Sep 24, 2017 3:22 PM

Feb 2016
I have been avoiding stuff like Naruto, DBZ, One Piece, etc. for a single reason: they suck.
Sep 24, 2017 3:23 PM

Apr 2014
I avoided code geass for a while because i never liked the sharp chin, and tall pencil arms and legs designs everyone has.
Sep 24, 2017 3:32 PM

Apr 2015
I avoid finishing Detective Conan because there are almost 900 episodes. I've watched 200ish episodes and enjoyed them... But 700 more episodes feel like an immense mountain that I'm not presently prepared to climb.
Sep 24, 2017 3:36 PM

Oct 2014
I avoided https://myanimelist.net/anime/2159/Ookiku_Furikabutte because the facial expressions in the picture look insanely gay
Sep 24, 2017 3:44 PM

Aug 2016
I avoid Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece (read part of the manga anyways) because they're too long and I have a completionist complex. If I start, I'll only regret it.
Sep 24, 2017 3:52 PM
May 2015
There aren't really any single qualities that a show could have that it couldn't compensate for with other traits, in my eyes. There are a lot of shows where I can point out a single most prominent flaw, where I would probably watch the show if the flaw weren't there, but I would also watch the show, flaw and all, if it excelled in other respects.
Sep 24, 2017 3:55 PM
Super Saiyan

May 2017
I've avoided Fairy Tail and don't have any intention on watching it in the near future purely based on the fact that an annoying as fuck guy kept shoving it down my throat about how its the best anime and nothing else comes close to it, the characters are the best and the concepts are the best and I won't find anything half as good. Im all good with people having their favourites, hell my favourite is Dragon Ball/Z/Super and I know for a fact that is far from perfect or the best. Anyway little rant, this guy was and is the only reason I don't want to watch it.
Sep 24, 2017 4:02 PM

Mar 2016
Let's see... Only the freaking, misleading cover! Due to art distortions! Like Youjo Senki
My Profile
Anime
Manga
osu! Profile
No Picture Available for me... lol.
Sep 24, 2017 4:41 PM

Mar 2012
I don't watch Ballroom because of the neck.

Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 24, 2017 4:45 PM

Aug 2009
I avoid harems because of harem fans.

Sep 24, 2017 5:06 PM

Dec 2012
I've avoided anime because of:

-:Length: I rarely feel like getting into something with hundreds of episodes after numerous disappointments
-Fugly art
-Boring plot descriptions that don't sound interesting
-Depression: I know it's depressing and I don't feel like subjecting myself to it.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 24, 2017 5:25 PM

Nov 2014
Usually I just don't feel like watching it, if you consider that a reason.

I don't bother thinking hard about a reason not to watch something, if I don't then I don't. Maybe I'll come back in the future when I feel like it
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 24, 2017 6:31 PM

Apr 2017
You mean specific anime for a very specific reason other than ''it doesn't interest me'' I suppose.

Well yes, there are a few.

- I haven't watched Stein's Gate because I heard it starts slow and boring even though it gets better. I watched only episode one I think and at some point I will watch the rest, but having a slow start is killer. I haven't started the Chimera Ant arc of HxH for the same reason.

- My Teen Romantic Comedy. I watched a few episodes and I think it was really good, but the way the MC is and acts reminds me a lot of myself in school years, and not in a positive way at all, so I kind of get a unpleasent feeling when I watch it. If I ever take the stick off my ass maybe I will continue watching.

- NGE. I watched the movies and they were utter garbage, they are the lowest stuff I rated. I know the anime is better and stuff and stuff, but the MC is the type I hate the most and the female side characters were lame. At some point I will watch, but not anytime soon.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2017 6:34 PM
Jan 2017
Any anime with women and their tits hanging out of their shirt. Usually those are shit. Or if they have lollis. Also ugly art styles.
Sep 24, 2017 6:35 PM
Jun 2016
Avoided FMA cause more than 50 episodes/season
Sep 24, 2017 6:38 PM
Jul 2018
For me it was One Piece, a long time ago. At that time I used to just watch the main shounen anime. I was thinking about how a guy who can extend his arms be even compared to dragon ball, naruto, bleach. The moment I started watching One Piece watched continuously till the end (at that time they just had found brook on the sea).
Sep 24, 2017 6:50 PM

Aug 2015
NeoAnkara said:
I don't watch Ballroom because of the neck.

+1 This.. XD

- I avoided oregairu because I don't want to be in a wrong ship again.

-I avoided Free!, kuroko, etc. Because I don't want to start shipping male and male.. Lol XD

I think there's a lot of this but I forgot..

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Sep 24, 2017 6:51 PM

Aug 2007
I've avoided anime because it didn't interest me and I didn't want to watch it.

Sep 24, 2017 7:35 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I feel like at some point I'll get to Welcome to the NHK, but what the description of this character hinted at repulses me because it gives me an impression of a sort of implicit preachiness to it that does more than a little to keep me away from it. That's literally the only reason why I've been so completely averted to watching it for a few months now. Kind of petty, but it'll be pretty tough to catch me in the mood for hearing out what this show seems to want to offer me, at least in the realm of using it as entertainment as opposed to on a place like a discussion board.

Sep 24, 2017 7:45 PM
May 2012
kuroko no basket, and also for a very long time now. i just think that he's boring (personal opinion).
Sep 24, 2017 8:02 PM

Jun 2015
Whatever highly CGI shows for CG (duh)
Sep 24, 2017 8:08 PM

Jul 2017
Haven't watched Special A because of the hideous bodies they have. With their pencil lookin ass bodies, I will never watch that, it hurts my eyes.
I've been told that it's basically Maid-sama before Maid-sama became an anime so it doesn't bother me that I haven't seen it.
Gintama > One Piece = Naruto > Bleach > DBZ

Nyanko Big is my spirit animal.
Sep 24, 2017 8:11 PM

Sep 2016
romagia said:
Savajho said:
one of the interesting thing i heard about a-1 pictures is "Being owned by Sony, this is basically a mercenary group with different key staff most of the time. Add to the fact that their third/fourth series on the rank always suffers means that the name rarely means anything."

I know, i've seen that video, but the guy still somewhat worked for A-1 and whether it's a freelancer or an employee this is just unacceptable that sony/aniplex lets that happen.
Sep 24, 2017 8:19 PM

Jul 2012
Sword Art Online: I WATCHED THE ABRIDGED VERSION FIRST AND NOW I CAN'T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. I even tried, but nope.

One Piece: Too many episodes.

Sep 24, 2017 8:22 PM

Jan 2010
I avoid anime with tsundere female lead like a plague
Sep 24, 2017 8:22 PM
Aug 2011
Obnoxious characters or if it sounds super generic.
Sep 24, 2017 8:27 PM

Nov 2011
Harem with dense MC and no actual plot.

Sep 24, 2017 8:27 PM
Jan 2017
I avoid parasyte because I can't stand looking at the mc's hand. It kind of looks like a slug.
Sep 24, 2017 8:32 PM
Jun 2016
jinheanime34 said:
Avoided FMA cause more than 50 episodes/season
There's only one season, what you may think is two seasons, is actually the original and remake versions.

I avoid most stuff by A-1 Pictures (With a small set of exceptions), because after SAO, I realized they basically do just enough to keep it novel, keep you engaged, and keep you distracted from their flaws enough to give it mild praise. Almost everything A-1 Pictures does is unoriginal and poorly made, with an incredible soundtrack, they only have enough original ideas to make it feel fresh, not be fresh.

That said, Your Lie in April is my second favorite anime of all time, and I am really eager to watch Shinsekai Yori.

I also avoid anything longer than 100 episodes, because I without fail get bored a few episodes in. The monogatari series may be an exception, I haven't tallied the episode count up yet.
Sep 24, 2017 8:34 PM

Jul 2016
MightySheep said:
I avoided https://myanimelist.net/anime/2159/Ookiku_Furikabutte because the facial expressions in the picture look insanely gay

Holy shit they do.

*adds to ptw list*
Sep 24, 2017 8:39 PM
Jul 2018
fuyuki said:
Yeah I guess so. I avoid watching NGE cause it's all about muh symbolism apparently, and all the references tend to fly over my head each time so no, thank you. I'm not going to waste my time on another 3deep5me show.

But for example SnK is full of symbolism too. ^^" Just one thing of them: There is literally a whole zoo and Jurassic Park running through the 3rd OP, just to symbolize Darwinism.
Not to speak of the Virgin Mary statue at the beginning and Eren's mom holding his hand, when he was a kid. Most Japanese aren't Christians, but I think everyone in the world would understand that as motherly love and that's why they have done it? ^^ And all the symbols in the story; the titans per se and the wing of freedom explains it itself ... XD

I understand it nonetheless. It was a little bit too much in NGE sometimes. I just got used to it in media after years of reading and watching haha.
And I mean... symbols could be great too and give you wonderful pictures of the scenes as link between the event and the visual aspect. ^^
removed-userSep 24, 2017 8:48 PM
Sep 24, 2017 8:43 PM
Sep 2017
I avoid anime that has sexism/objectification

Ie: shoujo, Josei, reverse harem, Yaoi genre

FEMINISM IS CANCER!!!!!
Sep 24, 2017 8:43 PM
May 2017
I avoid them if the Mc wears glasses.Dunno can't watch them for some reason
Sep 24, 2017 8:48 PM

Nov 2014
I have and will keep avoiding Jojo until i deem myself ready to get around to it...the single most reason i have avoided it is because of it's stupid fucking fanbase that gets on my nerves and pisses me off. The more i see them the more i want to keep avoiding it.

Don't get me wrong, i will one day watch it all but that day is not going to be any time soon.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Sep 24, 2017 8:49 PM

Jul 2013
Usually because I'm not into the genre or premise, or it has too many episodes (I can't really follow long anime nowadays)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 7 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
17 seconds ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

8 by mshfqtny »»
3 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 5 hours ago

25 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 8 hours ago

15 by mypenislist »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 6 hours ago

30 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.