Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 22, 2017 5:22 AM

Feb 2016
Same question from Episode 1 of "Gamers!" Why did you start gaming, do you also have a tragic backstory?

My response:

I started playing games because my left arm shattered at the elbow from falling off of a cliff from a rope swing and I lost all mobility in my arm & hand. I was recommended to get a gaming system (GameCube!) to complement my two-year rehabilitation program and gain movement in my hand again.

It was frustrating at first, but I got the HAND of it. Over much time, I just got good at playing games in general and became competitive to the point of addiction. Even went to competitions to win prizes. Games started not being fun soon after; so I dropped gaming completely to occupy my time with other things.

BUT. Now, I’m interested in gaming again. I’m saving up for a PZ4 (this anime persuaded me a bit), so I can have a way to connect with old and new friends and just have fun with it this time around. I'm also becoming a huge fan of puzzle games.
Prisoner-24601Sep 29, 2017 11:20 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 22, 2017 5:33 AM

Dec 2014
Back on middle school, my classmate introduced a web browser RPG, then i started playing it

Since then i already play many kind of game. But doesn't like amano i never get girlfriend from it.

Now, same as amano i play a gacha game.
Sep 22, 2017 5:35 AM

Dec 2015
I just started because it was fun. No tragic backstory here.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 22, 2017 5:36 AM

Nov 2014
In kindergarten i used to play all of the legend of zelda games with both my mom and my brother on the Gamecube my dad bought
Sep 22, 2017 5:58 AM

Nov 2011
I got back to more gaming around last April. Used to play MMORPG games a lot but quit a few years ago. I play some combination of multiplayer, Steam games, and iOs games these days.

Why do I game?

Just for the fun of it but also getting some achievements from time to time as a challenge.
Sep 22, 2017 6:21 AM

Jun 2012
I started "gaming zealously" when DOTA was introduced to me by some friends 11 years ago. The tragedy comes after that XD.
Sep 22, 2017 6:43 AM

Jan 2014
My older brother was the one with all the game consoles, like the really old Nintendo 64 and the original Xbox. So I guess because of him. He was also the one that got me into Runescape when it was big back in the day.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 22, 2017 6:45 AM

Sep 2009
One of my friends introduced me to Maplestory in like 6th grade. Naturally, my grades have suffered since.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 22, 2017 8:26 AM

Nov 2015
I started gaming because when I was younger I had a harder time opening up and talking to people. So, it allowed me to escape to another world.

Plus playing platformers on N64 was fun at the time and then someone introduced me to the final fantasy series and everything else is history.
Sep 24, 2017 12:30 PM
Jun 2017
My love of gaming when I received a Game Boy Advance SP for my birthday. I was shy, with a few friends under my belt. Fighting games became my way of socializing , since it was always fun to compete against others and often winning. (not bragging, I swear)
Sep 25, 2017 2:12 AM

Jan 2017
Because i am bored and playing game make me less bored and it is amusing :/

i don't have a dark past that made me start gaming sorry :/
Sep 28, 2017 7:03 AM

Feb 2016
Zelev said:
My older brother was the one with all the game consoles, like the really old Nintendo 64 and the original Xbox. So I guess because of him. He was also the one that got me into Runescape when it was big back in the day.

Haha RuneScape, oh RuneScape. Like a few years ago I went back on that game to check out the new things they put in it... It's a lot of in your face pay for this to get this, now, y'know? Just loads of DLC. My favourite part of that game was the quests and trying to figure them out with friends. I think I was level 92 and I had no level 99's in my skill tree.
Sep 28, 2017 7:16 AM

Feb 2016
Jesterdog527 said:
My love of gaming when I received a Game Boy Advance SP for my birthday. I was shy, with a few friends under my belt. Fighting games became my way of socializing since it was always fun to compete against others and often winning. (not bragging, I swear)

LOL, you're lucky. My parents would never buy me a Game Boy Advance SP. They were all like, "you already have a GameCube!" I wanted the SP because I was playing Pokemon Colosseum at the time and it had this compatibility with it.

Gaming platforms I ever owned... started at GameCube > PC > Xbox 360 > 3DS (which I still have now, only have the Zero Escape series on it).
Prisoner-24601Sep 28, 2017 8:08 AM
Sep 28, 2017 7:19 AM

Feb 2017
Well, I got a Gameboy color with Pokemon since then I play video games.... So I guess it no special story.
Sep 28, 2017 8:13 AM

Jun 2012
In 1991, when i was three, i had some serious illness and had to go to hospital for few weeks, and dad bought me C64 to compensate.
Sep 28, 2017 8:20 AM

Sep 2017
I started gaming when I was 5 years old. The first game I played was made by SEGA own by my cousins. That was before I got gameboy color.
FOREVER ALONE!! YAAAAAAH!
Sep 28, 2017 8:37 AM

Aug 2016
Tried my cousin's GBC and ever since I was hooked in handheld gaming.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Sep 28, 2017 8:41 AM

Jul 2016
My older brother had a saturn (yeah I know) and I was jealous cause my parents didn't let me play it so I begged them to let me have my own console. Oddly enough my brother doesn't play games anymore even though it's his fault I'm a gamer.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2017 8:49 AM

Oct 2015
My first gaming experience was when i was a kid like around 6-7 years old my father was a drug addict he would sell EVERYTHING from our house to have money for drugs he traded even food for that shit and when he didnt had anything to sell or any money to get drugs he would beat me up and my younger brother and my mom so after he tried to sell ME for money, my uncle and mom saved me after that my mother and brother and me run away from home to another city to start a new life first cuz we didnt any money we went to live the first 2 years with my aunt, uncle and my 2 cousins one of my cousins was a boy so he was like 15 years in that time he was already crazy for gaming like, Final Fantasy, Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider and Pokemon, he had a Gamecube, Mega Drive, Gameboy & a PS1 the first game i played was Sonic the Hedgehog from 1991 on the Mega Drive after that i just got into the gaming more cuz i asked my self always "how can such a little box create such amazing beautifull worlds" after some years like 2y more or less i got my first own console PS2 Fat with my first own Game Moto GP3, after that i got a real old PC and my first online game was a MMO named Metin 2, i growed up loving games got another PS2 Slim than 2 PSP´s a PS3 Slim and than when i was around like 21-22years i decided save some money to build a Gaming PC and i did it, after that i got a PS4 just for the Exclusives, Gaming and Anime now are part of my life and i love both, also my brother loves both anime and games too, double fun :)
iTzKenzoSep 28, 2017 9:02 AM
Sep 28, 2017 9:34 AM

Feb 2016
iTzKenzo said:
My first gaming experience was when i was a kid like around 6-7 years old my father was a drug addict he would sell EVERYTHING from our house to have money for drugs he traded even food for that shit and when he didnt had anything to sell or any money to get drugs he would beat me up and my younger brother and my mom so after he tried to sell ME for money, my uncle and mom saved me after that my mother and brother and me run away from home to another city to start a new life first cuz we didnt any money we went to live the first 2 years with my aunt, uncle and my 2 cousins one of my cousins was a boy so he was like 15 years in that time he was already crazy for gaming like, Final Fantasy, Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider and Pokemon, he had a Gamecube, Mega Drive, Gameboy & a PS1 the first game i played was Sonic the Hedgehog from 1991 on the Mega Drive after that i just got into the gaming more cuz i asked my self always "how can such a little box create such amazing beautifull worlds" after some years like 2y more or less i got my first own console PS2 Fat with my first own Game Moto GP3, after that i got a real old PC and my first online game was a MMO named Metin 2, i growed up loving games got another PS2 Slim than 2 PSP´s a PS3 Slim and than when i was around like 21-22years i decided save some money to build a Gaming PC and i did it, after that i got a PS4 just for the Exclusives, Gaming and Anime now are part of my life and i love both, also my brother loves both anime and games too, double fun :)

So your cousin got you into gaming, and you continued because it interested you?
Sep 28, 2017 10:32 AM

Jul 2015
My older brother played Pokemon and I wanted too, so my parents gifted me a GameBoy Color with Pokemon Yellow when I was like 5 years old, I probably played my brother's game before that but I couldn't really tell at this point.

Sep 28, 2017 11:12 AM

Sep 2014
Because it gives me passion and dreams!!
A life is a history with no end...it continues to be told by others endless.
We do not own lives, we own histories!
Sep 28, 2017 11:14 AM

Mar 2016
Ever since i was 6. Started playing on play station 1. Playing is simply fun and challenging, and that's what I like.
Sep 28, 2017 11:20 AM

Oct 2015
Im a better gaymar than all of u nerds
Sep 28, 2017 11:36 AM
Apr 2014
Getting a Super Nintendo for Christmas at the age of 6 (I think) as well as getting an old computer that my grandfather had fixed (which had a lot of fun games on it like Prince of Persia, Dizzy, Lost Vikings, and so on) were the triggers for me.

Then, I played Dune II at a friends house, and enjoyed it so much that I ended up buying it myself, along with similar games such as Starcraft and Warcraft 2.

I used to be a Nintendo fanboy (with Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo being the exceptions) however now it's PC all the way as far as I'm concerned.
Sep 28, 2017 11:37 AM
Sep 2016
I had a natural talent for being a good player and was better doing it than any other thing in my life. Moreover, sometimes gaming is perfect to calm my anger as well as reducing boredom in order to get charged to do the boring stuff (like studies) and to kill some time. Realistic games have some part in teaching me how the world works while staying at my house which is kinda cool. The story-based games inspired my to do things that ended up being good for me. Competitive games are insanely fun for bonding with family, having fun with friends and also making new friends. As gaming is one of the easier things i can do, i end up making youtube videos out of it. Im also increasing my skill in competitive games to compete in tournaments if life ever gives me a chance. Finishing a game is also satisfying at some points. It also has been scientifically proved that gamers can concentrate more on a topic than non-gamers. Games also feel natural for me, without them im not me anymore, im someone else.
Sep 28, 2017 11:49 AM
May 2013
I play videogames since ever basically. When I was 2 years old someone thought it was a good idea to give me a snes and welp, there we go.
Sep 28, 2017 12:03 PM

Oct 2015
Basically yes @Prisoner_24601
Sep 28, 2017 12:08 PM

Jun 2017
I simply find games a more interesting medium than books for example. I kinda got naturally drawn to them when I was young and there was no going back from that point lol. Probably gonna game till the day I die.
Sep 28, 2017 4:34 PM

Dec 2008
perhaps the reason is much simpler, because at one point we all were kids and games were so shiny and appealing we couldn't resist...
Sep 28, 2017 4:43 PM

Feb 2016
No Tragic events leading upto it but this is my story--

My sisters played videogames and I watched them. Got my first taste on the PS2, I watched my sister play Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and I got too curious when she got up to goto the bathroom that I picked up the controller and gave it a try, lol.

I think I didn't really start (actively) until a little later though. I watched my sister's boyfriend at the time play a game on PC and I ended getting interested, so he introduced me to Steam and bought me the game and I pretty much started actively gaming from that point.

It's become my hobby of choice ever since pretty much. My time-killer. I haven't really been gaming all that much this year though. Just kinda fell off.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Sep 28, 2017 7:35 PM

Jun 2016
Well i guess everyone started to play something at certain point in their childhood, in my case i got into games because my brother had a lot of consoles and i liked seeing him playing and sometimes he would even let me join him when it had multiplayer.
I started playing computer games when i was like, 6-7? but it was nothing special. While I grow up I started to use emulators to play some games for other consoles on PC, and i played online browser games too with my friends. Today I'm a little addicted to gaming i guess? My brother 'shares' a PS4 with me and because of that i started to buy what I feel like will be great games, i still play some online games on PC too.
Gaming kinda makes me forget about the shitty things on life, mainly because of the great stories they have i guess
Sep 28, 2017 7:38 PM

Sep 2017
Why did I start gaming?
I dunno, when I was about 4 years old, I just saw my brothers playing Halo: CE and I was like: why not?
:)
Sep 28, 2017 7:55 PM

Apr 2010
Got a NES when I was 4 or 5 for christmas and have been playing them ever since. Tecmo Bowl is love.
Sep 28, 2017 8:43 PM
Aug 2015
I watched my dad play the original Red Alert and I thought it looked awesome back when I must have been 4-5. I just got into it from there.
Sep 29, 2017 12:39 AM
Feb 2017
Because it's fun.
Why else lol.
Sep 29, 2017 2:53 AM
Oct 2015
I most likely started due to my older brother playing either on the computer or on the DS/ Game boy.
Heckle was here...
Sep 29, 2017 7:35 AM
Jul 2012
Why did I start gaming? No idea, I have been playing games, as well as watching others play them, for as far back as I can remember. The earliest I can remember is watching my dad play Red Alert 2 on his laptop while I was lying on his chest. I feel like it was inevitable for me to end up a gamer, as I have been surrounded by games my whole life. Mind you, that was way before iPads and smart phones, thus, to me, it really feels like it has been my fate all along to enjoy games.

When people tell me to stream anime on CR instead of downloading from fansub sites.

Sep 29, 2017 8:09 AM

Aug 2017
Nice question. Well, it all started when my neighbors bought a Nintendo GameCube. We played everyday. Then I bought one too. We played in my house or their house depending of the game we wanted to play.
Then I switched to PC Gaming after several consoles, and played RuneScape with my best friend. Now I play League of Legends with my friends evereday.

So I started gaming because it's something that joins us. That makes us closer to each other. That's why it's very unlikely for me to enjoy a game that I play alone.
Sep 29, 2017 8:22 PM
Jan 2016
I think the answer is simple, I try it and I think it's really fun. Games make our imagination come true and that's why it's really fun. Playing with friends, share each other opinion and idea, wow that's really amazing. I want to say thank you for all of games that make our lives much happier and fun.
Sep 29, 2017 8:30 PM

Aug 2017
i remember this so vividly in my head. i was seven years old and my friend introduced me to a game called free realms. (well, i wouldn't really say 'introduced', because i saw tv commercials of it but i didn't know how to actually access the game) i asked my dad if i could use his computer and he was like sure. yeah, it was that easy. he probably shouldn't have let a seven year old onto his computer though because i accidently downloaded a bunch of viruses onto it.. but i mean that's the story! i got my own laptop a couple years later because i would never let my dad have his computer
Sep 29, 2017 8:32 PM

Oct 2016
I think I started playing console games with my cousin and younger sister way back during grade school. We played this console called Dreamcast because iirc, we could play as 3 players. Sadly, my cousin moved to Canada so we sisters pretty much quit.

I think we started gaming again when Ragnarok came up. It was fun times!

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Sep 30, 2017 6:21 AM
Aug 2016
I used to be alone (like for 1-5 hours) everyday in home since I was a kid (4-5 YO) because of my parents job and because I was bored I would play games on Sega and PlayStation 1 later on, and then I just grew to like games, movies, anime and whatever I get to spend my free time with.
Sep 30, 2017 6:56 PM
Feb 2015
My first experience gaming was as a game developer. My grandpa did coding in assembly and some of the earliest FORTRAN versions. He was pretty adamant that I learned, and he did so by teaching me BASIC on a win 3.1 machine way back in the day. We did text based RPGs, and we had (what young me thought) were some pretty elegant decision trees. He and I even had a telnet MUD server so that we could play together over dial up.

Those were interesting times.
Sep 30, 2017 9:40 PM

Jul 2015
Was born into it. My earliest memories were either watching my older brother and someone else playing Super Bomberman 2, or my older bro and my mom playing Wario Woods on the SNES. We were just born gamers.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Sep 30, 2017 9:48 PM

Aug 2012
Because gaming is part of my childhood. First time playing a video game is when my dad bought me NES and I played Duck Hunt and Mario Bros. After that, my dad bought me a N64 and then Sega Genesis. Since then, I'm always into gaming thanks to my dad.
Oct 1, 2017 6:08 AM

Mar 2009
I started gaming so I can pick up all those gamer grills.
Oct 1, 2017 8:27 PM

May 2013
My dad bought me a Sega Mega Drive along with Sonic 3 as a birthday present when I was a kid in the mid 90's. I've been hooked to gaming ever since.
Oct 2, 2017 4:14 PM

Jun 2015
Paladins man

I always had a ps4 but I never found that any interesting now I Just play paladins all day.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Oct 2, 2017 4:20 PM

Mar 2017
My dad used to play halo all the time and I got into the series. Probably wouldn’t be as hard of a gamer as I am now otherwise.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » [Poll] Gamers Romance

Lnlover - Aug 30, 2017

30 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Apr 13, 8:19 PM

» Misunderstandings

Shomix - Sep 29, 2017

13 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Apr 13, 8:18 PM

Poll: » [the usual] BEST GIRL POLL

GangsterCat - Sep 7, 2017

13 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Apr 13, 8:15 PM

» Do people not understand that this is a parody? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Feb 23, 2023

61 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Apr 13, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Gamers! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2017

320 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Apr 13, 8:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.