Forum Settings
Forums

Why is Shaft the best animation studio out there?

New
Sep 22, 2017 1:35 AM

Mar 2015
In each of their works Shaft manages to stand out with the unique use of the visuals to emphasize the message sent to the viewers.Straightfoward and easy to comprehend visuals that blend well with the dialogue scenes, giving a meaning to the characters actions and reactions. Their original trade mark 'head tilts' is what made Shaft so popular among many anime fans out there. One of their biggest success hits that still monopolize the market and anime industry in Japan is the Monogatari Series light novel adaptations into anime. Shaft always knows what the current market and fans want so they know how to make their merchandise appealing even with the subtle use of the fanservice in their works. Shaft is Goat!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 22, 2017 1:38 AM

Oct 2013
I don't think its the best
but if you show they make the most money of all the other current studios I don't mind agreeing they're the best at making a profit
Sep 22, 2017 1:50 AM

Aug 2017
They're not the best IMO. Madhouse, Sunrise, Bones, Ghibli, I.G, CoMix Wave Films, - these studios are far better at making memorable/unique anime.
“All men are jealous idiots. And women are stupid too, to feel happy about it. It's true, there are idiots everywhere!”

“I know it's difficult to look past my brilliant tail, brain and looks, but I also have excellent ears and eyes.”

“I need to have a drink, and I need one soon!”

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf so you shut up!”
Sep 22, 2017 1:52 AM

Mar 2015
meainwhile in sunrise

shaft is popular because asano inio or madoka... other than that... not soo much...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 22, 2017 1:55 AM

Apr 2017
You have the courage to post this , all my respect to you OP

I know you'll be eaten by shaft haters but I'll respond seriously

As a shaft hater , I don't see its animation good .. this studio stops the screen on a good picture and let the characters talk , this is called economy of the money , i know it's hard to undrstand
This studio knows how to cheat on ppl by giving them shiny , bright and vivid colors and drawings .. also I don't usually judge a studio from the animation cuz it's pointless tbh , you should judge them from their produced shows , shaft only has the monogatari series (the eternal ongoing series) and mahou shoujo madoka which are not that amazing or that popular tho ..

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Sep 22, 2017 1:55 AM

Sep 2015
Shaft? Huh. Funny way to spell Madhouse..
Sep 22, 2017 1:56 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Comix Wave Films probably begs to differ OP
Sep 22, 2017 2:00 AM
Sep 2017
Madhouse is my personal favorite. They can make writing in a notebook excting, and make action scenes like nobody else. I like Bones and Sunrise too.
Sep 22, 2017 2:05 AM

Aug 2017
Unique? Yes, recently.
Best? No.

I don't know which studio is the best though. Probabky Comix Wave, then Madhouse followed by Kyoto Animation.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Sep 22, 2017 2:10 AM

Apr 2017
Shaft is the best? LMAOOOOOOOOOO...Madhouse and Bones called...they're telling you to

Sep 22, 2017 2:13 AM

Apr 2017
Shaft... Ever heard of KyoAni, 8bit and SilverLink?

Wait, if its Monogatari then no... I'm dizzy watching that.

If its about the animation then no, but about other aspects, like profit, as posted above... Then I dont know since I dont see any info about it.

Thats for my opinion
Life isn't as fun and easy as anime.
Watch anime to bring that fun!!
Sep 22, 2017 2:14 AM

Mar 2017
Ah, a most insightful discussion. Definitely not bait.

EDIT: I can't get these images working. Verdammt.

EDIT 2: Yas!

EDIT 3: Nope. Okay, how about this fix...
EankiSep 22, 2017 2:52 AM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 22, 2017 2:14 AM

Sep 2017
Studios huh. As long as they can produce good anime then good. I kept being disappointed by studios nowadays that I stopped caring about what my favorite studio is. Lol
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 22, 2017 2:17 AM
Jul 2018
Is shit compared to Kyoto animation
Sep 22, 2017 2:19 AM

Aug 2016
S-quare22 said:
judge them from their produced shows , shaft only has the monogatari series (the eternal ongoing series) and mahou shoujo madoka which are not that amazing or that popular tho ..

Uhh, Bakemonogatari and Madoka are the 2 highest selling blu-ray/DVD sellers in Japan
Sep 22, 2017 2:22 AM

Apr 2017
RoryBurrows said:
S-quare22 said:
judge them from their produced shows , shaft only has the monogatari series (the eternal ongoing series) and mahou shoujo madoka which are not that amazing or that popular tho ..

Uhh, Bakemonogatari and Madoka are the 2 highest selling blu-ray/DVD sellers in Japan

You are talking about japan and not about the world my friend

Those two series don't even exist in my country and I never saw them in any anime exposition

I think this series is only well known in the internet among the anime fans (outside japan ofc)

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 2:23 AM

Jan 2009
RoryBurrows said:
S-quare22 said:

Sunrise's Gundam Unicorn alone averages higher than both of those shows btw with 195,063 average disc sales
Sep 22, 2017 2:25 AM

Dec 2014
I like Shaft but I don't think there's such a thing as a best studio. I love Shaft's animation style and the flow of their narrative especially in narrative driven shows like Monogatari.
Sep 22, 2017 2:27 AM
Jan 2013
t'least their openings are pretty cool
gone bai bai

Aug 2016
S-quare22 said:
RoryBurrows said:

Those two series don't even exist in my country and I never saw them in any anime exposition

I think this series is only well known in the internet between the anime coummunity (outside japan ofc)

Bakemonogatari - #35 on MAL (Popularity)
Madoka - #44 on MAL (Popularity)
Both are rated above 8, and may not be available in your country but I see both everywhere in UK.

Don't forget they have March Comes in Like a Lion as well

Jul 2014
I don't think there is some thing as the best studio, but the closest to the best wouldn't be Shaft. At least you didn't say A-1 Pictures or 8bit.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Sep 22, 2017 2:31 AM
Jul 2018
i had to google what anime shaft made lol. apparently ive seen 2 anime from them and both were bad lol.

anyways
shaft aint even close to a "best studio" option. average id say
Sep 22, 2017 2:33 AM

Mar 2016
RoryBurrows said:
S-quare22 said:

Evangelion sold more then both & I think Kidou Senshi Gundam sold more then Madoka.
KnotImpSep 22, 2017 2:36 AM
Sep 22, 2017 2:34 AM

Aug 2014
S-quare22 said:
You have the courage to post this , all my respect to you OP

I know you'll be eaten by shaft haters but I'll respond seriously

As a shaft hater , I don't see its animation good .. this studio stops the screen on a good picture and let the characters talk , this is called economy of the money , i know it's hard to undrstand
This studio knows how to cheat on ppl by giving them shiny , bright and vivid colors and drawings .. also I don't usually judge a studio from the animation cuz it's pointless tbh , you should judge them from their produced shows , shaft only has the monogatari series (the eternal ongoing series) and mahou shoujo madoka which are not that amazing or that popular tho ..

Well its basically unique design that actually reduce the budget cost.
Shaft mostly good when fully adapting anime or messing with source material to the point it fucked up.
But some of them are terribly adapted like nisekoi story pacing.. (i dislike nisekoi though..)
Sep 22, 2017 2:38 AM

Apr 2017
RoryBurrows said:
S-quare22 said:

I think this series is only well known in the internet between the anime coummunity (outside japan ofc)

Both are rated above 8, and may not be available in your country but I see both everywhere in UK.

Yes and that's what im talking about , look at the other studios

Bones has :
FMA:B -4th on MAL
Noragami -20th on mal
Both are rated above 8 and the first one is the highest rated show on the site

Madhouse has :
Death note -1st on MAL
NGNL -12th on MAL
Both are rated above 8

Also we don't have to mention the other studios like sunrise , kyoAni , P.A works and A1 pics
Cuz you already know how much good and popular shows they produced ..

Shaft seems like a little kid when you compare it with them

Also I didn't notice that the monogatri and madoka are popular when I was in england .. that's weird
Also if they are that popular , why aren't they present in our universal anime expositions ?

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 2:38 AM

Aug 2016
dvbx_073 said:
RoryBurrows said:

Evangelion sold more then both & Kidou Senshi Gundam sold more then Madoka I think.

There's a site I saw sometime on MAL forums displaying the top selling series and both of those were at top. Maybe Eva and Gundam outsold them in the DVD section? As they are both quite old anime
Sep 22, 2017 2:39 AM

Jan 2009
Implying Shaft is better than Madhouse

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Sep 22, 2017 2:43 AM

Aug 2016
S-quare22 said:
RoryBurrows said:

Bones has :
Noragami -20th on mal

Madhouse has :
Death note -1st on MAL
NGNL -12th on MAL
Both are rated above 8

Also we don't have to mention the other studios like sunrise , kyoAni , P.A works and A1 pics

Also I didn't notice that the monogatri and madoka are popular when I was in england .. that's weird
Also if they are that popular , why aren't they present in our universal anime expositions ?

Remember this isn't just a popularity vote, SAO is 3rd which is horrible.

We're here to discuss their animation quality which especially in Kizumonogatari beats things like Kimi no Na wa.
Sep 22, 2017 2:44 AM

Mar 2016
RoryBurrows said:
dvbx_073 said:

Evangelion sold more then both & Kidou Senshi Gundam sold more then Madoka I think.

There's a site I saw sometime on MAL forums displaying the top selling series and both of those were at top. Maybe Eva and Gundam outsold them in the DVD section? As they are both quite old anime

I think I know the site you mean and it is 2000+ if I'm right. Both bake and madoka sold most of anime made after 2000 and are still around top 5 in sales if I'm correct.
Sep 22, 2017 2:46 AM

Mar 2015

isekai said:
RoryBurrows said:

Sunrise's Gundam Unicorn alone averages higher than both of those shows btw with 195,063 average disc sales
pretty sure even world of golden eggs already sold better than all of them combined... and pretty sure they already ranked 8 (which was number 2 back in 2000) or something...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 22, 2017 2:46 AM

Apr 2016
Good ?? .. Yes
Best ?? .. No
Before saying "Shaft is The Best" always think about Madhouse, KyoAni,Bones,Ghibli.
Sep 22, 2017 2:47 AM

Apr 2017
@xaelath Thank god madoka was an original series , for the monogatari series , the first seasons were somehow boring and full of dialogues especially nisemono which was the worst part of the series .. monogatari second season and owari (2 seasons) and some eps from bake were the only good parts imo .. the rest of their shows (including some parts of the mono series) are pretty much the worst adaptations ever made

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 2:51 AM

Apr 2017
RoryBurrows said:
S-quare22 said:

Bones has :
Noragami -20th on mal

Madhouse has :
Death note -1st on MAL
NGNL -12th on MAL
Both are rated above 8

Remember this isn't just a popularity vote, SAO is 3rd which is horrible.

We're here to discuss their animation quality which especially in Kizumonogatari beats things like Kimi no Na wa.

Yes of course , I already answered you , their popular shows are good animated .. you'll understand if you watch death note or FMA:B .. those two studios have the best animation imo and I think most of the replies in this thread agree with me ..

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 2:55 AM

Aug 2014
S-quare22 said:
@xaelath Thank god madoka was an original series , for the monogatari series , the first seasons were somehow boring and full of dialogues especially nisemono which was the worst part of the series .. monogatari second season and owari (2 seasons) and some eps from bake were the only good parts imo .. the rest of their shows (including some parts of the mono series) are pretty much the worst adaptations ever made

It felt like longer due text filler or 1 second text flash almost every single episode.
Though it differs on each people sometimes they just add weird image into the screen.

Another stuff i noted that is how ridicolous the plot mangement are.
Then i realise Nisekoi had the same issues... it never follow the original source timeline making it more confusing to watch.
Sep 22, 2017 3:04 AM

Apr 2017
Xaelath said:
S-quare22 said:

It felt like longer due text filler or 1 second text flash almost every single episode.
Though it differs on each people sometimes they just add weird image into the screen.

Another stuff i noted that is how ridicolous the plot mangement are.
Then i realise Nisekoi had the same issues... it never follow the original source timeline making it more confusing to watch.

And you'll find some kids saying that shaft is the best animation studio because they were blinded by the vivid colors .. if ppl have some intelligence , they will notice that the animation is mediocore and not really amazing as they say , they know how to conserve money by stopping the screen on a good colored picture and fool ppl by that .. I can definitely say the same for nisekoi and mekaku city actors

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 3:08 AM

Jan 2017
It isn't even in my top 3 lmao
Shaft is overated
Sep 22, 2017 3:08 AM

Jun 2015
RoryBurrows said:
S-quare22 said:

Eva says hi.

Yeah so pretty much nope.
Sep 22, 2017 3:18 AM

Nov 2011
isekai said:
RoryBurrows said:

Source?

@RoryBurrows is incorrect on sales. Including rereleases, the top five BD sellers (according to someanithing) are Bakemonogatari > Gundam SEED DESTINY > Gundam SEED > Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica > The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I'm not seeing any info on Unicorn, though, so I wouldn't know how it compares.

Even without Unicorn though, a cursory glance at the highest grossing BD releases seems to indicate that Sunrise is making the most moolah off of BD releases.
Sep 22, 2017 3:19 AM

Jul 2015
they are one of my least fav studios ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 22, 2017 3:28 AM

Jan 2009
TripleSRank said:
isekai said:

Source?

MAL's weekly disc sales thread like this https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1342461
or this Kidou Senshi Gundam UC 2010 Winter 195,063
http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view
Sep 22, 2017 3:41 AM

Nov 2011
isekai said:
TripleSRank said:

Source?

MAL's weekly disc sales thread like this https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1342461
or this Kidou Senshi Gundam UC 2010 Winter 195,063
http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view

Ah, I was only looking at the top chart on someanithing. My bad. (Tfw grossing over 8.1 billion yen.)

Thanks.
Sep 22, 2017 4:09 AM

Nov 2014
"subtle" use of fanservice...
Yeah sure.

I don't really care that much about what the best studio is, there's just good shows and bad shows. I guess modern Shaft does fit into the list of studios which feel like they have an identity along with Kyoani, Trigger, modern ufotable and Ghibli, I can expect sexy fetishes and interesting or even experimental visuals from a shaft show and that's cool.
For that reason I can't understand why people always bring up madhouse, they're very hit or miss with nothing in common in their different shows, might be due to the fact that madhouse is known as "the outsourcing studio"
I also can't get behind the "saving money" argument since in their recent shows shaft managed to have pretty great animation.

But whatever, to each their own, if I were to judge studios just based on how good their shows usually are then shaft is very easily the best studio for me so that's cool.
Sep 22, 2017 4:19 AM

Apr 2016
Another thread where gaijins barking on each other with opinions which studio (who don give a damn about you) is better.
Sep 22, 2017 4:49 AM

Apr 2017
Swagernator said:
Another thread where gaijins barking on each other with opinions which studio (who don give a damn about you) is better.

Its not called anime discussion for nothing , we are here to discuss an interesting debate about objectivity and subjectivity .. japan dont give a damn about any of the MAL threads but we still do that cuz argueing with ppl is interesting but you'll never experience this pleasure cuz you're always complaining .. swage , try someday to enter a real discussion and argue with ppl cus this is the goal from creating this site

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 4:58 AM

Apr 2016
S-quare22 said:
Its not called anime discussion for nothing , we are here to discuss an interesting debate about objectivity and subjectivity .. japan dont give a damn about any of the MAL threads but we still do that cuz argueing with ppl is interesting but you'll never experience this pleasure cuz you're always complaining .. swage , try someday to enter a real discussion and argue with ppl cus this is the goal from creating this site

You failed in that moment when you wanted "discussion with arguments" here on MAL.
Sep 22, 2017 5:01 AM
Oct 2015
This is my own personal opinion but I reckon studio shaft isn't the 'best' but it's definitely up there. A studio can produce both well-rounded animations and animations that people dislike as well so, in the end, it's more of an opinion rather than a definite statement.
Heckle was here...
Sep 22, 2017 5:11 AM

Apr 2017
Touniouk said:
"subtle" use of fanservice...
Yeah sure.

I don't really care that much about what the best studio is, there's just good shows and bad shows. I guess modern Shaft does fit into the list of studios which feel like they have an identity along with Kyoani, Trigger, modern ufotable and Ghibli, I can expect sexy fetishes and interesting or even experimental visuals from a shaft show and that's cool.
For that reason I can't understand why people always bring up madhouse, they're very hit or miss with nothing in common in their different shows, might be due to the fact that madhouse is known as "the outsourcing studio"
I also can't get behind the "saving money" argument since in their recent shows shaft managed to have pretty great animation.

But whatever, to each their own, if I were to judge studios just based on how good their shows usually are then shaft is very easily the best studio for me so that's cool.

Its not like we bring up madhouse in every discussion , it's all because of the title .. he said "is shaft the best animation studio" so of course we will respond by using the names of the studios we love or in other words , our favorite animation studio and why .. also what do you mean by "the outsourcing studio" .. you are making no sense , i mean this studio adapted its shows from different sources

I know why you didn't stand the "saving money" arguement .. its a bit hard to understand so pls focus with me .. I know you noticed that shaft used to stop the screen on a good colored image and let the characters talk behid the scene to save and preserve money cuz They would lose too much money if they didn't do that .. you'll understand me more if you watch mekaku city actors .. I remember that the screen was stopping on a good image every 2 minutes which was a bit exagerrated .. shaft animation isn't that good tbh .. they use the optical illusion to make ppl beleive that the animation is good though it's the opposite .. you should be an expert to notice that but I admit that shaft developped alot in the recent years especially in the kizumono movies which were masterpieces in therms of the animation .. but shaft will only do that with the profitable shows like the monogatari series and not with the other shows
S-quare22Sep 22, 2017 5:36 AM

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 5:11 AM
May 2016
In recent years? Yeah maybe, along with KyoAni. Those two are probably the two most consistent studios since 2010.
However, when you are talking about all time, you must consider that Shaft's works cannot compare with the likes of greats like Madhouse, Ghibli, Bones, Sunrise, hell even Gainax. Most of Shaft's shows come from the last 10 years, and only two of them have all-time great potential (Madoka and Monogatari), while others, especially Madhouse, have many.
So no, I won't say that Shaft is the best anime studio (although it certainly is my favorite). That title probably goes to Madhouse. One thing's for sure though, they are definitely not worse than CoMix Wave like most people above said. I mean, are Your Name and Shinkai's works the only anime you have ever watched??
Sep 22, 2017 5:15 AM

Apr 2017
Swagernator said:
S-quare22 said:

You failed in that moment when you wanted "discussion with arguments" here on MAL.

I admit it , some of the MAL users don't include some arguments in their posts but they still in a minority .. you should read more replies on MAL

"elles sont bien noires

Sep 22, 2017 5:15 AM

Oct 2014
Shaft is the only studio that stands out to me and that I have memorized by name (other than JC staff) because to me it is a signal that the anime is likely going to be edgy garbage portrayed like some sort of avant-garde art project instead of a proper anime.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 1 hour ago

11 by tchitchouan »»
3 minutes ago

» anime character you like but wouldn't invite to your birthday party / wedding?

lifesaver64 - 11 hours ago

15 by Jyushimatsuno »»
4 minutes ago

» Is the concept of a villain stupid?

Anjuro - 9 hours ago

29 by Anjuro »»
6 minutes ago

» Weird thing about Frieren's score

Yoksven - 46 minutes ago

5 by KayKimii »»
21 minutes ago

» Anime sequels that fell off ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - May 11

58 by BeastyAnimefan »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.