Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 17, 2017 11:05 AM
Jun 2012
What the f.ck was that? One minute I'm watching daily lives of a centaur girl and her friends and next minute I'm watching Frog in a suit his terrorist tribe and Schindler's List. What the hell happened to this anime?
Sep 18, 2017 3:44 AM

Nov 2009
ErwinJA said:
Okay, there's plenty of discussion on the meat of things here, but am I the only one who noticed that the bombs were falling the wrong way (tail down instead of nose)?

I checked WWII video, and apparently you can drop the bombs whichever way you like, they will re-orient themselves on their own.
American bombers seem to have preferred to drop bombs horizontally.

Hirugiku said:
Thats cool so he is the first amphibian to become a scholar? what happened to him is pretty admirable actually, from lows to the top all with his own strength.

We aren't told how unusual his story is, except that he is the only amphibian successful enough to be seen in commercials in far-off Japan. We do know that most amphibians still live the way their ancestors did, and they don't have a good relationship with a nearby country. So he is probably very exceptional. I hope his example will help those amphibians that will seek a career among mammalian humans in the future.
Sep 18, 2017 4:17 AM

Nov 2009
@Renn @ryyb
It's the same as in the manga. A simple shrine visit might end up with a hostage situation, slice-of-life about Chi-chans adapting to school might be followed by amphibianfolk guerillas attacking a brothel to rescue one of their own, only to continue with Suu-chan's little sister becoming an idol...
Basically, the manga has numerous storylines and side-stories addressed seemingly at random.

-Trippwire- said:
Balut said:
Can anyone who read the manga explain in this episode what exactly the "Nazi's" were discriminating against? Because there were all sorts of the species in the camp, and if the "Hitler" was an angel (like the above comment says), then why was the main angel boy there? Sorry if this is obvious.

I was wondering the same thing. There was no identifiable common thread between the people in the camp. Someone please help, haha.

There is no explanation in the manga either. Maybe they were Jews?

Xasthur said:
FCKN' BOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRIIIING! All this anti-nazi shit is boring. Perhaps in Japan it's new and fresh, but not in Russia. WTF? Where is centaur racing, brocken horn jokes or exploring of the deep by mermaids? I won't drop it, 'cause already reached 9th episode, but what next? Whole episode with speech about "frieden den menschen auf erden"?
I think it would be better if they add some conflicts, show both sides and then show how to solve it. But no, all they can is scaring eachother with anti-racist law and disparate punishment. Even of they all girls.

There are two "current" conflicts in the story. Antarctians vs conspiracy theorists (who might be right), and amphibianfolk vs local racist government. We have seen parts of these conflicts already. Neither of which seems to be getting resolved any time soon, because the world isn't that easy.
If you want an easy and didactic conflict, you're better off watching Magical Girl Pretty Horn. (by the way, it's funny how the moral of the story seems to over the head of anybody watching the show)
And if you think anti-Nazi stuff isn't new in Russia, how come we have so many neo-nazis?

AchromicFlame said:
I thought this series was supposed to be about cute animal girls doing fun things, I didn't ask for. God damn it Japan did you already forget you were an Axis power.

Just because they were an Axis power 60 years ago, doesn't mean they don't get to think of a better world now.
Sep 18, 2017 7:35 PM

Feb 2015
Great world-building, as usual.

Anyone know what the deal was with that human painting in the angel guy's office?
Sep 19, 2017 6:36 PM

Feb 2013
flannan said:
There are two "current" conflicts in the story

These 2-3 minutes in whole season? This is all they show about conflicts.
Also, what "local racist government" did you mean?
flannan said:
And if you think anti-Nazi stuff isn't new in Russia, how come we have so many neo-nazis?

Anti-nazi propaganda just doesn't work. It's annoying, but not effective. So that's why I noted it.
Titan of 20+ virgins club.
Sep 19, 2017 9:54 PM

Nov 2009
Xasthur said:
flannan said:
There are two "current" conflicts in the story

These 2-3 minutes in whole season? This is all they show about conflicts.

1) Well, this is a slice-of-life show, not a spy or military show.
2) Every scene where Suu-chan is guarded by overzealous agents is part of the conflict. She would not need so much protection otherwise.
But the episode with the fake god is part of it too. Even as we don't know it it's real or conspiracy theory.

Xasthur said:
Also, what "local racist government" did you mean?

The one the militant amphibianperson is going to fight. It's some South American country that claims authority over their lands.
Sep 20, 2017 12:08 AM

Feb 2013
flannan said:
Well, this is a slice-of-life show, not a spy or military show.

Indeed! It's not slice-of-jews, so leave that propaganda shit alone. Nobody want it in anime.
flannan said:
Every scene where Suu-chan is guarded by overzealous agents is part of the conflict.

It's part of some stuff that doesn't cover in anime, so it looks akward and weird mixed with cute'n'rude scenes, totally not "conflict" or "mysterious".
flannan said:
The one the militant amphibianperson is going to fight.

Sorry, perhaps I missed that part. What episode?
Sep 20, 2017 12:22 AM

Nov 2009
Xasthur said:
flannan said:
Well, this is a slice-of-life show, not a spy or military show.

Indeed! It's not slice-of-jews, so leave that propaganda shit alone. Nobody want it in anime.

Life in Centaur's Worries isn't all sunshine and rainbows. It wasn't since episode 1, you know.

Xasthur said:
flannan said:
The one the militant amphibianperson is going to fight.

Sorry, perhaps I missed that part. What episode?

This episode - episode 9. Starting around 7:35. Rousseau the amphibian businessman is visiting a tribe of amphibinanfolk, and one of them is wearing LBE, prompting a talk about going to fight mammalians. Rousseau then tries to convince the others that they should not face all mammalians at once, and instead ally with some of them against the ones that are actually the enemy.
Sep 20, 2017 2:10 PM

Feb 2013
flannan said:
Life in Centaur's Worries isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

I didn't see that Hime worry about WWII and stuff. It was unrelated cut-in, like advertisement. Also, I didn't say anything about mood of this title.
Sep 24, 2017 9:44 PM

Apr 2013
That was a surprisingly intense episode. I was hoping for some light, relaxed viewing before work, not friggin Schindler's List. But whatever, still interesting.
Sep 25, 2017 11:37 AM

Aug 2016
@flannan That doesnt make it a good show though. It is an enjoyable enough watch, but its a complete mess where themes and ideas are concerned. It has no clue what its trying to be.

And i'm not bashing darker twists in cute/slice of life shows. There are some that pull that off really well. Such as Gakkougurashi, Kotoura-San or Madoka Magica.
RennSep 25, 2017 11:45 AM
Sep 30, 2017 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
War is really useless and people are really ignorant. This episode has demonstrated again, how much this anime series is under the storyline of really interesting. Too bad that in addition to substance, you do not know much about technical quality, even here very low, what a sadness!
Oct 12, 2017 10:03 PM

Nov 2013
The part with the Amphibians was interesting. It seems that someone is stirring them up for conflict.

The second half was unexpected, but really good. The Centaur guy was hanged in the end, just like he said.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Oct 18, 2017 1:50 PM

May 2012
What a depressing episode to be honest :( quite the different tone to be honest.
Oct 20, 2017 6:16 PM

Feb 2012
I could not for the life of me figure out what the dividing line in that war was. Both the "Nazis" and the prisoners were accepting of multiple different races. The only clear differences is that angel and demons were always prisoners, while the other races could be both.

I also find it disappointing that this story doesn't try to think about how different races would fight, because each race has their own strength and weaknesses in terms of fighting capability.
Nov 17, 2017 11:19 PM

Nov 2013
Like WTF? Wasn't it CGDCT anime? Now it's WWII drama all of a sudden?
Oct 29, 2018 11:53 AM

Nov 2013
Just a show about cute girls doing cute things, nothing out of ordinary, move on.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jul 28, 2019 3:01 AM

Apr 2013
"A centaur's life"... And in the first half we get the story about a frog business man and in the second half we get world war 2. Not exactly what I wanted from this show.
Apr 8, 2020 4:42 PM

May 2015
Ok, WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!?!?!?! Im watching the same series right??!?!? Why did this suddenly start covering the Holocaust?!?!?! ITS A SLICE OF LIFE ANIME ABOUT CUTE GIRLS DOING CUTE THINGS!!!!! WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?!?!?!?!?!

This is the most drastic change in tone Ive seen EVER! The series is about cute high school girls and their daily lives. Did this episode suddenly forget about that and wanted to be a war drama all of a sudden!?!?!?!

Im surprised so many people liked this??? Like yeah its a good WW2 thing but ITS IN A SLICE OF LIFE ANIME?!?!?! There is a time and place to cover these subjects but when you're telling the wholesome life of an innocent Centaur girl its not the time or place!!! I came for a wholesome slice of life anime not a war drama!!!

If you couldnt tell I really hated this! I swear to god if they keep this up the series is ruined. I extremely hope the rest of the series isnt like this.

WHAT HAPPEND TO THIS HMMMMM?!?!?!?! You know, THE PLOT OF THE SHOW!!!!!!!!! We didnt see this girl ONCE! this episode.

DuoraDoll said:
Its nice learning about their strange world and all but GIVE ME BACK MY THICK CENTAUR GIRL. I DID NOT COME HERE TO WATCH PEOPLE DIE. I wanted nice happy fun times, not a depressing war story like what. I didn't come here to see slavery, if I wanted that I'd watch Roots. I JUST WANT CUTE GIRLS. Though they ain't wrong... Unfortunately. I BETTER GET MY CUTE GIRLS BACK NEXT WEEK THOUGH.

Im glad some people are saying this. Like, no matter how good the short story is you shouldnt be telling it in a slice of life anime that people come to relax.

manofmanybeans said:
Umm, did I just see the equivalent of ww2 jews getting killed in an anime? This show is really weird.

okay, honestly, i can't get over how stupid this was, i was just sitting there with a confused grin and laughing the whole time like, what the fuck it going on in this show? Centaurs are Nazis????? There is no coherent plot, it's just furry world equivalents of historical tragedies?

Honestly cant blame you. The tone shift is so sudden that you're just sitting there thinking "What the actual fuck?!?!" the whole time.

tolga1991 said:
What the f.ck was that? One minute I'm watching daily lives of a centaur girl and her friends and next minute I'm watching Frog in a suit his terrorist tribe and Schindler's List. What the hell happened to this anime?

Its on the edge of death thats what it is. If it continues this its lost its identity. Im so scared they're just gonna completely throw out everything this series has been in the last section and focus on this drama. I know the whole discrimination thing was there but it was just a subtle world building plot. So why do they have to suddenly turn it into a world conflict in our slice of life anime?!?!!?! *Banging my head against the desk*

The re-watchablility of this series is dead if they continue this plotline. Which SUCKS cause it was SUCH a good slice of life anime before this. It'll be devastating to see it die like this. Im gonna say if at least 2 of the 3 remaining episodes are PURELY back to the slice of life stuff the re-watchability of the series is saved. But it would have to be episodes 11 and 12 to get the bad taste out my mouth.

Gator said:
"A centaur's life"... And in the first half we get the story about a frog business man and in the second half we get world war 2. Not exactly what I wanted from this show.

Dont worry, no one wanted this.

DarknessRealityApr 8, 2020 5:25 PM
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
May 7, 2020 4:54 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The frog is now the best character of this show haha best chara design, reminds me of frog from Chrono Trigger xD
May 7, 2020 4:55 PM

Mar 2019
New short stories, it was interesting
Jul 6, 2020 9:37 PM

Jun 2019
DarknessReality said:
Ok, WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!?!?!?! Im watching the same series right??!?!? Why did this suddenly start covering the Holocaust?!?!?! ITS A SLICE OF LIFE ANIME ABOUT CUTE GIRLS DOING CUTE THINGS!!!!! WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?!?!?!?!?!

Slice of Life doesn't equate it to it all having to be one thing. Slice of Life can cover an incredibly wide range of dark or troubling, divisive or melancholic topics. An anime like Mushishi is Slice of Life. An anime like Mahoutsukai no Yome is Slice of Life. Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou and Gakkougurashi! are not only Slice of Life, but also both examples of CGDCT in post-apocalyptic wastelands on the brink of annihilation and a new apocalypse, about to get devoured by zombies or die hungry and ill of radiation poisoning. And there's a number of others like this. SoL can technically get just as thematically intense as many other genres and often does. SoL is no stranger to life or death situations and existential musings.

Also, this is neither exclusive to you nor some of the common criticism around Centaur no Nayami in specific, but I don't really understand the mindset of demanding a show must be all one thing to somehow be good or true to itself or coherent. To me the shows which don't shy away from going all over the place when and where narratively interesting and incorporate a lot of different ideas seem to me the most real and worth seeing for their artistic vision due to their depth and variety and lack of fear of doing different things with their characters.
WatchTillTandavaJul 6, 2020 9:41 PM
Jul 7, 2020 3:48 AM

May 2015
WatchTillTandava said:
DarknessReality said:

Slice of Life doesn't equate it to it all having to be one thing. Slice of Life can cover an incredibly wide range of dark or troubling, divisive or melancholic topics. An anime like Mushishi is Slice of Life. An anime like Mahoutsukai no Yome is Slice of Life. Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou and Gakkougurashi! are not only Slice of Life, but also both examples of CGDCT in post-apocalyptic wastelands on the brink of annihilation and a new apocalypse, about to get devoured by zombies or die hungry and ill of radiation poisoning. And there's a number of others like this. SoL can technically get just as thematically intense as many other genres and often does. SoL is no stranger to life or death situations and existential musings.

Also, this is neither exclusive to you nor some of the common criticism around Centaur no Nayami in specific, but I don't really understand the mindset of demanding a show must be all one thing to somehow be good or true to itself or coherent. To me the shows which don't shy away from going all over the place when and where narratively interesting and incorporate a lot of different ideas seem to me the most real and worth seeing for their artistic vision due to their depth and variety and lack of fear of doing different things with their characters.

Well when I enjoy a show a lot and have been for the duration of the series then it suddenly does a 180 out of nowhere thats miles away from what we've been experiencing I think I have the right to get angry. Also yeah those are examples of different slice of life types but the difference there is they were made around that type and not changed towards the end to fit that narrative. Like School Live right off the bat shows you what its about so you know what to expect and is the whole plot of the anime. Its like if episode 1 of school live was all the first 8 episodes without giving you a single hint that its about zombies then suddenly doing the final arc where zombies break in and everything goes to shit. If they want to cover these topics I think they should have done it with that intent in mind from the start instead of doing two different things to seperate the audience which is why people like me get angry at this when I just wanted to continue what I enjoyed from the first episodes until the end. Theres plenty of ways to cover topics like the holocaust without ruining a perfectly good cute slice of life anime.
Jul 7, 2020 1:50 PM

Jun 2019
DarknessReality said:
Well when I enjoy a show a lot and have been for the duration of the series then it suddenly does a 180 out of nowhere thats miles away from what we've been experiencing I think I have the right to get angry. Also yeah those are examples of different slice of life types but the difference there is they were made around that type and not changed towards the end to fit that narrative. Like School Live right off the bat shows you what its about so you know what to expect and is the whole plot of the anime. Its like if episode 1 of school live was all the first 8 episodes without giving you a single hint that its about zombies then suddenly doing the final arc where zombies break in and everything goes to shit. If they want to cover these topics I think they should have done it with that intent in mind from the start instead of doing two different things to seperate the audience which is why people like me get angry at this when I just wanted to continue what I enjoyed from the first episodes until the end. Theres plenty of ways to cover topics like the holocaust without ruining a perfectly good cute slice of life anime.

I believe people who were following the themes of the show closely though as well as the readers of its manga and source or supplementary material would all say that they didn't do a 180, but rather that these themes were present from the beginning and sufficiently hinted at and laid groundwork for by the first episode. Wasn't it the first episode (the second at the latest) that the dystopian backdrop was explicitly referenced by the main characters in dialogue about people being sent to be re-educated in correctional facilities? I just don't get the sentiment that this came out of left field when it seems like they took great pains to always lore drop from the outset. Unless people tuned all those parts out which happened in every single episode or nearly every episode leading up to episode eight, I don't see how it can be reasonably asserted that it was out of the blue.
Jul 8, 2020 9:42 AM

May 2015
WatchTillTandava said:

I believe people who were following the themes of the show closely though as well as the readers of its manga and source or supplementary material would all say that they didn't do a 180, but rather that these themes were present from the beginning and sufficiently hinted at and laid groundwork for by the first episode. Wasn't it the first episode (the second at the latest) that the dystopian backdrop was explicitly referenced by the main characters in dialogue about people being sent to be re-educated in correctional facilities? I just don't get the sentiment that this came out of left field when it seems like they took great pains to always lore drop from the outset. Unless people tuned all those parts out which happened in every single episode or nearly every episode leading up to episode eight, I don't see how it can be reasonably asserted that it was out of the blue.

Name dropping. Hmmm. Dont think thats a good excuse from going from cute slice of life about "A Centaur's life" to WW2 coverage. But oh well we clearly wont agree on this anyway so theres no point in arguing over it. The series has already done what its done so theres nothing changing that sadly. If you're like me and just wanted a cute slice of life anime like the cover, description, setting suggested then this change would annoy anyone like that as it has for a lot of people. For me this was almost a series killer if they took this father than the one episode they did and damaged lot of Centaur's life's re-watchability. Luckily they only do this during the end so I can still re-watch the start portion and the last episode and enjoy that for what it is.

Like, you cant argue that it wasnt sudden when the show advertises itself as a cute slice of life anime about cute girls doing cute things and fans of this genre get angry cause its suddenly turned into a drama about WW2. The description literally says:
"Himeno is a sweet, shy little centaur girl. In her world, everyone seems to be a supernatural creature, and all her classmates have some kind of horns, wings, tails, halos, or other visible supernatural body part. Despite their supernatural elements, Himeno and her best friends, Nozomi and Kyouko, have a fun and mostly normal daily school life!".
I dont go into this expecting to cover WW2. I have documentaries about that, so it shouldnt be in my nice healing/relaxing anime. But I got a bit on a rant there. Again, everyone has different views on this, but most slice of life fan's reactions are pretty normal reactions to this.
DarknessRealityJul 8, 2020 9:53 AM
Apr 17, 2021 2:47 PM
Oct 2018
damn that close-up luger reload šŸ˜³
Jan 19, 2022 10:53 PM

Sep 2018
Strange anime tbh, here I thought I would be simply getting a CGDCT monster slice of life, yet it's been much more adventurous with it's nudity/ecchis scenes and social commentary.
May 12, 2022 1:12 AM
Jan 2018
People losing there shit over a flashback
Apr 24, 2023 9:38 PM
Oct 2020
Well, that was an unexpected episode. But I was actually pretty engaged by this seemingly tangential story. However, I think it does fit in with the interactions and biases between the various creatures in this world. And is surprisingly relevant in the year that I'm watching this. As the glasses bat guy pointed out, even if everyone looked the same we would find a way to quarrel with each other. Hmmm, sound familiar? It does seem at times that there's no way to fix it. 

But on a brighter note, the ending song is really incredible. Not only Asaka's amazing voice, but the song itself is so good. And this is coming from an old dude who's mainly into classic rock. But good music is good regardless of genre.

And even if the world forgets about me I can not notice it
I was afraid of the wind and I will change again.   
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2017

69 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 9:00 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2017

87 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 8:57 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2017

94 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 8:54 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2017

126 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 8:52 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2017

91 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 27, 2023 8:46 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.