Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 28, 2017 12:16 PM
Jun 2017
I want to start by saying that I know the Japan and its culture that you see in anime is not always a accurate representation of real Japanese people and their culture. Things can be over exaggerated in anime just as things can be over exaggerated in Hollywood. The reason I have this question is because I've seen people talk about this same sort of thing. How anime (realistic) has a certain amount of realism to make the situations more relatable. Now that that's out of the way... let's get to it. I

....……..........

Are Japanese people innately rude? As I watch more and more anime, I'm noticing a certain trend. That trend being that the people (characters) have no filter. They say whatever they are thinking regardless of the environment or company their in (especially in school anime).

I've also noticed that there's a lot of bulling in anime that takes place in school. Is bullying more common in Japan? Do people not speak out for the weak? Japanese people would rather stay to themselves rather than get involved

If you don't mind, remember that I don't actually think this stuff happens. I'd just like to know more about the "culture", if you could call it that.

A quick search on bulling in Japan and you'll find that it more or less as common as in other countries, but it's more severe. Here's a link to a starter article

https://www.economist.com/news/asia/21720643-evacuees-fukushima-are-latest-suffer-torment-class-why-bullying-japanese-schools
Adi-BuddhaAug 28, 2017 12:47 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 28, 2017 12:34 PM

Jul 2015
No
Japanese people are polite and kind
Aug 28, 2017 12:40 PM
Jun 2017
YayaChibi said:
lmao you do know anime is exaggerating its own culture to fit the delusions of the creators right? lmao lol
Kuraokani said:

Are Japanese people innately rude? As I watch more and more anime, I'm noticing a certain trend. That trend being that the people (characters) have no filter. They say whatever they are thinking regardless of the environment or company their in (especially in school anime).

By the Japanese culture, being rude is highly uncommon as they take things like disrespect and rudeness very seriously. Kids will always be kids, they don't typically have a filter, but remember its an exaggeration. They're not going to hold back what they want to say in fiction as they do real life.
I've also noticed that there's a lot of bulling in anime that takes place in school. Is bullying more common in Japan? Do people not speak out for the weak? Japanese people would rather stay to themselves rather than get involved?

Not at all. All the kids I know who attended Japanese schools and do attend Japanese schools never seen anyone being bullied. As I said, kids will be kids, and yes they do tease, but they never seen anyone actually being bullied lol. It's common sense to stay to yourself then to get involved lol. But by culture, they wil try to help, not only with bulling, but by anything really.

https://www.economist.com/news/asia/21720643-evacuees-fukushima-are-latest-suffer-torment-class-why-bullying-japanese-schools

Like I said, the reason I ask these questions is because I've read a lot of articles like this one. It really does seem more common and more intense in Japanese schools.

@tragedydesu

I don't know if you were joking due to your short reply but this article might be of use in out discussion as well. If you want more examples in happy to add links. Just let me know
Aug 28, 2017 12:41 PM

Apr 2017
i dunno bro, ikaros-chan is pretty nice
aria
k-on
etc
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Aug 28, 2017 12:41 PM

May 2016
It worries me that you're asking this question based on what you've seen in cartoons.
Aug 28, 2017 12:43 PM

May 2015
As someone who has lived in Japan for 12 years:
tragedydesu said:
Japanese people are polite and kind

And yes there are instances of bullying in Japanese schools. Then again, bullying happens in every school...
Aug 28, 2017 12:43 PM

Apr 2013
Japanese people are polite and kind... to their elders or superiors that is, all hell will break loss with Nippon kids that are the same age writing "KYS" in Japanese on the desk of a kid they want to bully- wait what's that? Only in Anime? Oh...

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 28, 2017 12:45 PM
Jun 2017
Dendritik said:
It worries me that you're asking this question based on what you've seen in cartoons.
I already stated that I know anime isn't a accurate representation of Japanese culture. I put that first to avoid comments like yours. I even said why I'm asking these questions.

Here is a link to a article though. Just in case you would like to be better informed. If you would like more examples, feel free to let me know.
Aug 28, 2017 12:45 PM
Jun 2017
Ikaros_42oh said:
aria
k-on
etc
Lololol love it man! Hahaha! Thx for that
Aug 28, 2017 12:49 PM
Jun 2017
kawaii96desu said:
It's more like the opposite. They are way too polite even when you don't really deserve it. As for bullying, idk, it's just a part of human nature but I don't think it's more common than other countries.
From what I've read, it's about as common as in other countries. Bulling in Japan is more severe though.
Aug 28, 2017 12:50 PM

Apr 2017
Kuraokani said:
Ikaros_42oh said:
aria
k-on
etc

sure mate, sounded like you needed some niceness you know

edit: quit triple posting lol
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Aug 28, 2017 12:52 PM

Jan 2013
Characters in anime (manga, light novels) are usually rude only when it is necessary in order to develop the plot or make something happen. Authors are kinda forcing the situation.
Otherwise characters are quite polite and even people from other worlds (say hello to isekai) have better idea how to behave than most of us.

As for the bullying, it's hard to say, but it is said that Japanese society is somehow reluctant to intervene in cases of abuse, seeing it as private dispute, and it is source of great shame to call police to solve domestic abuse. I suppose same apply to bullying.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Aug 28, 2017 12:52 PM

May 2017
Characters are made rude in anime for plot purposes and to fill the places of the different character archetypes. In the context of a high-school anime, the one opposition of the protagonist that is the easiest to universally understand is a bully. Generally, bullies (in anime) have the strong and "looming" personality, but inside they have other issues, yada yada. If Japan makes anime more realistic then I s2g most of the characters would be extremely polite (the whole "sumimasen, sumimasen" thing) and the popular students would basically be all-rounds, personality-wise and academics-wise. That wouldn't appeal to the audience though, because it is very toned-down. The point of anime is an escape from reality, and under the assumption that the creators' demographic is Japanese students in middle school, or high school, the more entertaining show would be the one more different from reality. Their reality, at least, considering cultural differences.
the universe has moved for us
there wasn’t even a little miss
Aug 28, 2017 12:53 PM

Apr 2014
Japanese people that are rude are outcasts, and are looked down upon. However, they tend to get rude when you disregard their traditions and way of living.
Aug 28, 2017 12:59 PM
Jul 2018
I'm talking to Japanese people, and they are extremely kind and helpful. Of course there are some bad apples, but every country has them.
Aug 28, 2017 1:01 PM

May 2016
Kuraokani said:
Dendritik said:
I already stated that I know anime isn't a accurate representation of Japanese culture. I put that first to avoid comments like yours. I even said why I'm asking these questions.

Here is a link to a article though. Just in case you would like to be better informed. If you would like more examples, feel free to let me know.
So if you know it's not an accurate representation, why ask? It's obvious Japanese people aren't innately rude.
Aug 28, 2017 2:03 PM
Jun 2017
YayaChibi said:
Kuraokani said:

Like I said, the reason I ask these questions is because I've read a lot of articles like this one. It really does seem more common and more intense in Japanese schools.

Obviously you're going to see articles on bullying in Japan as you see in America, because no shit if something extreme happens, who wouldn't repost it if they could lol
It's really not more common and intense lmao. As I said, it does happen, and it can get extreme, but its not as bad as you've stressed lmao lol
I haven't stressed anything. How'd you get that? For me to stress something, I'd have to know the facts, which I do not. That's why a created this thread.

So you lived in Japan?

Dendritik said:
Kuraokani said:

So if you know it's not an accurate representation, why ask? It's obvious Japanese people aren't innately rude.
Because typically there's a bit of realism in the way people act in media. If I where to show you a American t.v show, let's say jersey shore, I would tell you that that's not how all people in jersey are, but it's is common enough to find people like that. Believe it or not but there is some realism in tv shows..

Moogle-Magic said:
I'm talking to Japanese people, and they are extremely kind and helpful. Of course there are some bad apples, but every country has them.
You live in Japan?

kawaii96desu said:
Kuraokani said:
From what I've read, it's about as common as in other countries. Bulling in Japan is more severe though.

I mean I've never been to Japan, but from my personal experience with Japanese people and what I've heard I think the problem is in their way of thinking. Like if something bad happens to them they would rather not talk about it and hide it from authorities/family/friends. Some of them can't even say "no" directly to your face and you have to guess their real feelings. That probably leads to most cases of bullying not being detected until it's already too late. Sorry for the broken English but I don't have much time for this post.
I can see that. I've heard that Japanese people are typically very shy. They definitely aren't as open as Americans from what I see on youtube XD

ananya-s said:
Characters are made rude in anime for plot purposes and to fill the places of the different character archetypes. In the context of a high-school anime, the one opposition of the protagonist that is the easiest to universally understand is a bully. Generally, bullies (in anime) have the strong and "looming" personality, but inside they have other issues, yada yada. If Japan makes anime more realistic then I s2g most of the characters would be extremely polite (the whole "sumimasen, sumimasen" thing) and the popular students would basically be all-rounds, personality-wise and academics-wise. That wouldn't appeal to the audience though, because it is very toned-down. The point of anime is an escape from reality, and under the assumption that the creators' demographic is Japanese students in middle school, or high school, the more entertaining show would be the one more different from reality. Their reality, at least, considering cultural differences.
I agree that the point of anime is to escape but there definitely is a certain amount of realism as far as how characters act. That's with media from every country.

For instance, ever heard of duck dynasty? That's how a lot of southerners act. Same can be said for other American tv shows.

Ikaros_42oh said:
Kuraokani said:

Lol, I'm just getting used to not posting separately. I didn't know it was against the rules lol
Aug 28, 2017 2:45 PM
Jul 2018
Kuraokani said:
YayaChibi said:

Obviously you're going to see articles on bullying in Japan as you see in America, because no shit if something extreme happens, who wouldn't repost it if they could lol
It's really not more common and intense lmao. As I said, it does happen, and it can get extreme, but its not as bad as you've stressed lmao lol
I haven't stressed anything. How'd you get that? For me to stress something, I'd have to know the facts, which I do not. That's why a created this thread.

So you lived in Japan?

Dendritik said:
Because typically there's a bit of realism in the way people act in media. If I where to show you a American t.v show, let's say jersey shore, I would tell you that that's not how all people in jersey are, but it's is common enough to find people like that. Believe it or not but there is some realism in tv shows..

Moogle-Magic said:
You live in Japan?

kawaii96desu said:

I mean I've never been to Japan, but from my personal experience with Japanese people and what I've heard I think the problem is in their way of thinking. Like if something bad happens to them they would rather not talk about it and hide it from authorities/family/friends. Some of them can't even say "no" directly to your face and you have to guess their real feelings. That probably leads to most cases of bullying not being detected until it's already too late. Sorry for the broken English but I don't have much time for this post.
I can see that. I've heard that Japanese people are typically very shy. They definitely aren't as open as Americans from what I see on youtube XD

ananya-s said:
I agree that the point of anime is to escape but there definitely is a certain amount of realism as far as how characters act. That's with media from every country.

For instance, ever heard of duck dynasty? That's how a lot of southerners act. Same can be said for other American tv shows.

Ikaros_42oh said:

Lol, I'm just getting used to not posting separately. I didn't know it was against the rules lol

Nope, I don't live in Japan, and I don't think I will ever do.
Aug 28, 2017 2:59 PM

Jan 2010
Kuraokani said:
I want to start by saying that I know the Japan and its culture that you see in anime is not always a accurate representation of real Japanese people and their culture. Things can be over exaggerated in anime just as things can be over exaggerated in Hollywood. The reason I have this question is because I've seen people talk about this same sort of thing. How anime (realistic) has a certain amount of realism to make the situations more relatable. Now that that's out of the way... let's get to it. I

....……..........

I've also noticed that there's a lot of bulling in anime that takes place in school. Is bullying more common in Japan? Do people not speak out for the weak? Japanese people would rather stay to themselves rather than get involved

If you don't mind, remember that I don't actually think this stuff happens. I'd just like to know more about the "culture", if you could call it that.

A quick search on bulling in Japan and you'll find that it more or less as common as in other countries, but it's more severe. Here's a link to a starter article

Yes, there is even this concept called "Honne" and "Tatemae" in Japanese.
"Honne" is literally means Real Sound, as if their real feelings/thoughts.
"Tatemae" is what they show outside or what they should show to represent you/your company.
It's somewhat of a norm, especially in Japanese business world. That's why there is this "Nomikai" thing where you and your coworker go drinking together after work. It's the only time you can voice your "Honne".

I imagine Japs is full of "fake people".

There is even a popular place for suicide. Iirc it's called Aoki Gahara???

And yeah, bullying is pretty severe in Japan for what I heard too.

So, are they innately rude?
Still, it's depend on the individual but I imagine, yeah. Since unlike western culture, they mostly bottled up their feelings and generally avoid any conflict.

Like, you act nice in front of the person, but then trash talk them behind their back to other cowoker. I'd work in Japan for three months before and I witnessed back and forth how A actually dislike B, and B actually dislike C and so on. Which is both interesting and baffling. I thought it's just part of their culture. And I learned this term called "Happa Bijin", that means "Fake beautiful person", that means people pleaser, who please people but then who knows what they are actually think inside.

They kind of have severe need to be accepted in society. And when you don't, you'll be subject to bullying.
CrimsonMidnightAug 28, 2017 3:06 PM
Aug 28, 2017 3:22 PM

Feb 2015
As far as I know, Japan's Education system almost looks like "filtering the weak out"

According to Mitsuru Taki of the Ministry of Education, bullying in other countries tends to involve two or three pupils picking on another. In Japan, in contrast, most cases involve a big portion of a class inflicting insistent psychological (and occasionally physical) torment on a single victim. “Bullies in Japan are not rotten apples,” he says. “It is a group phenomenon.”

I think the problem lies would due to the hierarchy status of people in Japan, that they want to protect. Like teachers who would probably feel "threaten" if he ever so a bullying that occurs but doesn't have the power to stop it because it involves many people, thus what he can do is just be silent or feign ignorance about it. Now I'm wondering how the parents can just sit still here. No... Both parent's side seems to be just doing nothing if you ask me...

There are many reasons for this idiosyncratic form of bullying. “A characteristic of Japan is that you should not stand out,” argues the head teacher of a secondary school in Tokyo. “Pupils have to lead a collective life when they are at school,” adds Koju Matsubayashi, an official in the anti-bullying department at the ministry. Erika, an 18-year-old who left her school in Tokyo after being bullied, agrees. “I was told by teachers to adapt or quit, so I quit.”

In Phi, this is true; from our uniform, the fact that we have one classroom and we basically just sit there for like 7 hrs or so. Ohhh well, not that I care since ever since I was a child I didn't really care about the class, I more less care on my own. Thus, they left me behind. I think this where it lies, there are a lot of people who just can't adapt to his/her surroundings, and I think society ought to understand that. I mean, do you want to see a kid who's parents was killed and suddenly burst laughter or the most happiest in class? Fuck I'd call the ambulance.

The way Japanese schools are organised adds to the pressure to conform. Children learn in a “homeroom”: teachers of different subjects come to them. School activities, such as cleaning, eating lunch and studying, are organised in groups. Pupils must often adhere to exact rules about their uniforms, hairstyles and grooming. Individuals who do not kuuki wo yomu (roughly translated as “read the vibes”) can be shunned by other members of the class.

Ohh well, I myself feels trapped when I was in Phi for that 1 class and sit there for like 7 hrs. I mean come on, who wouldn't?

Ohhh well now that you mentioned it, my Chemistry Labs are always done by me, but I have one of the best data... Ohh well, I can do just anything by myself anyway...

Japanese students are among the top performers academically

I can see why... If you don't want to be weed-out in Japan, you ought to study :/

Teachers rarely help. They are renowned for their pedagogical prowess, especially in maths. But most are not trained to spot bullying. There are few incentives to notice or deal with it, notes Kanae Doi of Human Rights Watch (HRW). Teachers who do not achieve harmony, she says, are seen as poor performers. One survey suggests that around 12% of teachers have taken part in bullying. A quarter of high schools allow corporal punishment.

Such a great irony. I wonder if teachers in Japan didn't just start off as student but suddenly became a teacher because of God's will. This is just what I feel, but in education, the first who would help a student is the teacher. Quite funny that it seems that teachers in Japan is not human but a mere robot whose job is to just teach.

Ohh wait... There are who notices it but then got shackled by society... Good job Japan! You're doing things right! Indeed! I agree!

Or gay pupils. A report last year by HRW concluded that bullying of gay children in Japanese schools was “nearly ubiquitous”. It cited a survey by Yasuharu Hidaka of Takarazuka University that found that 44% of gay teenage boys were bullied. One told HRW that teachers said his sexuality broke the harmony of the school. Separate research by Mr Hidaka suggests that roughly one Japanese teacher in three thinks homosexuality is a mental illness.

I see... No wonder why.... I can see that happening... I feel bad for them but Japan doesn't think so... :/

“It is painful,” he said through his parents, “but please do not choose to die.”

I can see why the last resort of students who are under extreme bullying may choose to just die. Ohh well, I mean why wouldn't they when no one will stop it and it will just escalate? Even sensei don't care... :/

Aug 28, 2017 4:55 PM
Jun 2017
Shicchi said:
Kuraokani said:

....……..........

"Tatemae" is what they show outside or what they should show to represent you/your company.
It's somewhat of a norm, especially in Japanese business world. That's why there is this "Nomikai" thing where you and your coworker go drinking together after work. It's the only time you can voice your "Honne".

Still, it's depend on the individual but I imagine, yeah. Since unlike western culture, they mostly bottled up their feelings and generally avoid any conflict.

Like, you act nice in front of the person, but then trash talk them behind their back to other cowoker. I'd work in Japan for three months before and I witnessed back and forth how A actually dislike B, and B actually dislike C and so on. Which is both interesting and baffling. I thought it's just part of their culture. And I learned this term called "Happa Bijin", that means "Fake beautiful person", that means people pleaser, who please people but then who knows what they are actually think inside.

They kind of have severe need to be accepted in society. And when you don't, you'll be subject to bullying.
Ah, so you witnessed this stuff firsthand?

I've seen YouTube videos that say the same thing you do. Japan's social structure is very unique and for lack of a better word, cruel.

In their society it's normal to act "fake" and ignore someone who's in need of help? That sounds like a really harsh environment to live in. I mean, I don't know if it's just my area or generation, but bulling wasn't really a thing at my school. The only time I can ever remember someone getting bullied, this bigger guy stepped in and told the bully to stop.

Pretty rough man lol

_Ako_ said:
As far as I know, Japan's Education system almost looks like "filtering the weak out"

According to Mitsuru Taki of the Ministry of Education, bullying in other countries tends to involve two or three pupils picking on another. In Japan, in contrast, most cases involve a big portion of a class inflicting insistent psychological (and occasionally physical) torment on a single victim. “Bullies in Japan are not rotten apples,” he says. “It is a group phenomenon.”

I think the problem lies would due to the hierarchy status of people in Japan, that they want to protect. Like teachers who would probably feel "threaten" if he ever so a bullying that occurs but doesn't have the power to stop it because it involves many people, thus what he can do is just be silent or feign ignorance about it. Now I'm wondering how the parents can just sit still here. No... Both parent's side seems to be just doing nothing if you ask me...

There are many reasons for this idiosyncratic form of bullying. “A characteristic of Japan is that you should not stand out,” argues the head teacher of a secondary school in Tokyo. “Pupils have to lead a collective life when they are at school,” adds Koju Matsubayashi, an official in the anti-bullying department at the ministry. Erika, an 18-year-old who left her school in Tokyo after being bullied, agrees. “I was told by teachers to adapt or quit, so I quit.”

In Phi, this is true; from our uniform, the fact that we have one classroom and we basically just sit there for like 7 hrs or so. Ohhh well, not that I care since ever since I was a child I didn't really care about the class, I more less care on my own. Thus, they left me behind. I think this where it lies, there are a lot of people who just can't adapt to his/her surroundings, and I think society ought to understand that. I mean, do you want to see a kid who's parents was killed and suddenly burst laughter or the most happiest in class? Fuck I'd call the ambulance.

The way Japanese schools are organised adds to the pressure to conform. Children learn in a “homeroom”: teachers of different subjects come to them. School activities, such as cleaning, eating lunch and studying, are organised in groups. Pupils must often adhere to exact rules about their uniforms, hairstyles and grooming. Individuals who do not kuuki wo yomu (roughly translated as “read the vibes”) can be shunned by other members of the class.

Ohh well, I myself feels trapped when I was in Phi for that 1 class and sit there for like 7 hrs. I mean come on, who wouldn't?

Ohhh well now that you mentioned it, my Chemistry Labs are always done by me, but I have one of the best data... Ohh well, I can do just anything by myself anyway...

I can see why... If you don't want to be weed-out in Japan, you ought to study :/

Teachers rarely help. They are renowned for their pedagogical prowess, especially in maths. But most are not trained to spot bullying. There are few incentives to notice or deal with it, notes Kanae Doi of Human Rights Watch (HRW). Teachers who do not achieve harmony, she says, are seen as poor performers. One survey suggests that around 12% of teachers have taken part in bullying. A quarter of high schools allow corporal punishment.

Such a great irony. I wonder if teachers in Japan didn't just start off as student but suddenly became a teacher because of God's will. This is just what I feel, but in education, the first who would help a student is the teacher. Quite funny that it seems that teachers in Japan is not human but a mere robot whose job is to just teach.

Ohh wait... There are who notices it but then got shackled by society... Good job Japan! You're doing things right! Indeed! I agree!

Or gay pupils. A report last year by HRW concluded that bullying of gay children in Japanese schools was “nearly ubiquitous”. It cited a survey by Yasuharu Hidaka of Takarazuka University that found that 44% of gay teenage boys were bullied. One told HRW that teachers said his sexuality broke the harmony of the school. Separate research by Mr Hidaka suggests that roughly one Japanese teacher in three thinks homosexuality is a mental illness.

I see... No wonder why.... I can see that happening... I feel bad for them but Japan doesn't think so... :/

“It is painful,” he said through his parents, “but please do not choose to die.”

I can see why the last resort of students who are under extreme bullying may choose to just die. Ohh well, I mean why wouldn't they when no one will stop it and it will just escalate? Even sensei don't care... :/

So if you don't fit in with everyone else, you're subject to harassment and bulling by potentially your whole class!? Jeez. Here I thought it was a good thing to be different from everyone else (the good kind of different).

It also sounds like Japanese people are even more prejudice than I thought! I already knew that their view on people who are different (i.e not Japanese) was one of unacceptance, but I didn't know they had a issue with gay people!

Japan's a pretty wacky place. I like their cartoons though, so I forgive lol
Aug 28, 2017 5:42 PM
Apr 2014
I've always been under the impression that they're really polite.
Aug 28, 2017 5:45 PM

Nov 2008
You hear about a case of bullying in Japanese news weekly or bi-weekly these days and a lot of it is from teachers as well.

Aug 28, 2017 6:38 PM
Sep 2014
Shicchi said:

Do you mind not using the word "Jap". It's still considered an offensive term.
Aug 28, 2017 6:48 PM
Sep 2014
Kuraokani said:

....……..........

I believe in a peaceful and respectful Japan, where bullying does not exist, but I may be wrong. I don't know much about what goes on in Japan, in ways of bullying, but I like to think that it doesn't happen a lot. But even a place like Japan has a lot going on behind the scenes.
Aug 28, 2017 6:52 PM
Sep 2014
_Ako_ said:

Damn. That's so cringey. Psychologically I wouldn't do so well. But physically I'd be able to stand my own, unless they all come at me at once.
Aug 28, 2017 7:00 PM

Jan 2010
SHOCKJOHNSON said:
Shicchi said:

omg I'm so sorry I wasn't aware!!!!!!!!! I just wrote japs because I was lazy to type it in full....... orz

Maybe I came off as a japanese people/culture hater but no. I find them interesting. Hell I'm studying it at univ. So no, I wrote japs not as an insult, I wasn't aware it has negative connotation to it
Aug 28, 2017 7:02 PM

Mar 2015
japanese has really strong herd mentality... they will polite as long it fits with their herd or not involved, but as soon you actually goes inside the herd and stand out, you will forced to follow it... you think japan is some kind heaven? think again... this is also apply to most eastern society... we are not individualist free, but socialist judgemental...
KumaAug 28, 2017 7:07 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 28, 2017 7:39 PM
Jun 2017
YayaChibi said:
Kuraokani said:
So you lived in Japan?

lmao Not really much of you stressed, but you were pretty passionate on your side of the case lol
Recently, yeah the bulling has gotten a lot more common, just not as bad as you may think lol
My entire RL social circle is composed of kids who travel back and forth to China and Japan, so a lot of them tell me about what is happening at their school, their neighborhood, etc while they are over there, then show me pictures and videos when they get back to the US lol.
Ha....haha...

No disrespect but that would mean that you know about as much as I do. I know some Japanese people irl and online. I partially got the idea for this thread from what little we discussed about bulling and school life in Japan.

SHOCKJOHNSON said:
Shicchi said:

............. fr?

SHOCKJOHNSON said:
Kuraokani said:

....……..........

I believe in a peaceful and respectful Japan, where bullying does not exist, but I may be wrong. I don't know much about what goes on in Japan, in ways of bullying, but I like to think that it doesn't happen a lot. But even a place like Japan has a lot going on behind the scenes.
If you're not from there, I don't know why you would want to believe they are a morally sound people...

A simple search on the internet would smash those little "dreams" you have..

SHOCKJOHNSON said:
_Ako_ said:

Damn. That's so cringey. Psychologically I wouldn't do so well. But physically I'd be able to stand my own, unless they all come at me at once.
I don't know if it's just a American thing but, I definitely wouldn't take no shit from some bully.

I guess I wouldn't have a choice if the whole class was against me though.

Shicchi said:
SHOCKJOHNSON said:

omg I'm so sorry I wasn't aware!!!!!!!!! I just wrote japs because I was lazy to type it in full....... orz

Maybe I came off as a japanese people/culture hater but no. I find them interesting. Hell I'm studying it at univ. So no, I wrote japs not as an insult, I wasn't aware it has negative connotation to it
I didn't know it was a insult...

Kuma said:
japanese has really strong herd mentality... they will polite as long it fits with their herd or not involved, but as soon you actually goes inside the herd and stand out, you will forced to follow it... you think japan is some kind heaven? think again... this is also apply to most eastern society... we are not individualist free, but socialist judgemental...
I've always dislikes the "pack" mentality. I thought that, as a people, we've gone past that way of thinking. I guess that's just America though. From the statistics and studies I've been reading since starting this thread, Japanese people are pretty horrible lolol. They are one of the most racist countries in the world. On top of that, their laws are pretty strict and their work system is crazy.
Aug 28, 2017 7:59 PM
Sep 2013
Kuraokani said:

Ask r/Japan in reddit there are a lot English speaking people who live in Japan there.80% of internet English articles about Japan are either total bullshit or very exggerated/misleading for the sake of more views,ask individuals who live in Japan if you want to know what actually it is like
Aug 28, 2017 10:50 PM

Feb 2015
Kuraokani said:
Shicchi said:

Ah, so you witnessed this stuff firsthand?

I've seen YouTube videos that say the same thing you do. Japan's social structure is very unique and for lack of a better word, cruel.

In their society it's normal to act "fake" and ignore someone who's in need of help? That sounds like a really harsh environment to live in. I mean, I don't know if it's just my area or generation, but bulling wasn't really a thing at my school. The only time I can ever remember someone getting bullied, this bigger guy stepped in and told the bully to stop.

Pretty rough man lol

_Ako_ said:

So if you don't fit in with everyone else, you're subject to harassment and bulling by potentially your whole class!? Jeez. Here I thought it was a good thing to be different from everyone else (the good kind of different).

It also sounds like Japanese people are even more prejudice than I thought! I already knew that their view on people who are different (i.e not Japanese) was one of unacceptance, but I didn't know they had a issue with gay people!

Japan's a pretty wacky place. I like their cartoons though, so I forgive lol

I had a feeling that Japan is till not accustomed to gay/homosexual. Yeah, the bad thing is that the whole class will ride in the farce. Which gets things so hard to handle.

[/quote]
SHOCKJOHNSON said:
_Ako_ said:

Ehhh... good for you I think... That you can handle it physically... I hope there's no knife or anything involve though... :/
Aug 28, 2017 11:24 PM

Apr 2015
Kuma said:

This is more or less exactly what I hear as well.
Aug 29, 2017 1:24 AM

Jan 2011
Here I thought the stereotype was that they're super polite.
Aug 29, 2017 4:48 AM

Apr 2015
I do believe that you have to separate fiction from reality. If you tried to learn about high schoolers from most American shows, you'd think similarly that all the kids were rude, constantly having drama (okay, that's true for some of them), and teachers had no real order/were banging their students.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 29, 2017 5:12 AM

Mar 2015
Kuraokani said:
Kuma said:
I've always dislikes the "pack" mentality. I thought that, as a people, we've gone past that way of thinking. I guess that's just America though. From the statistics and studies I've been reading since starting this thread, Japanese people are pretty horrible lolol. They are one of the most racist countries in the world. On top of that, their laws are pretty strict and their work system is crazy.

asian in fact is realy social comunity...
it doesn't mean it's automaticaly bad, it has it's own high and low
http://www.dimensionsofculture.com/2010/10/cultural-values-of-asian-patients-and-families/
also, japan is xenophobic, not racist.. racist case mainly found towards minorities (ainu or rukyuan) or other asians ethnicities...
http://www.differencebetween.net/language/difference-between-xenophobia-and-racism/
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 29, 2017 5:14 AM

Jun 2015
>"No Filter"

If anything, the Japanese are more likely to talk behind your back.

and no, bullying isn't that big of a thing in Japan. The middle years are too tiresome for it to get big, suicide or dropping out because of pressure is more likely.
Aug 29, 2017 5:29 AM

May 2016
I believe the Japanese is the kind that is polite in front of you, but "show" their true colors behind your back.

Like, you see in a lot of anime the "rudeness" comes from people gossiping and whispering about others. Like those famous "girl bashing in the bathroom" scenes.
Rumors seem quite strong and damaging there as well. Having a bad rumor about you could ruin your life, or at least that's what it looks like to me.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Aug 29, 2017 5:47 AM

Mar 2016
I've heard from people who have been to Japan that Japanese people are very kind.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Aug 29, 2017 6:22 AM

Mar 2015
Brb said:
>"No Filter"

If anything, the Japanese are more likely to talk behind your back.

this is also part of our value that bugging me for lot of times (i don't know you more closer to mongoloid or western culturally since you are philipines)... acting rude in front of society is something immoral, it's okay as long not directly in their face... kinda funny actually.... however, if the suciety it self doing the judgement, well, your life pretty much end...
Aug 29, 2017 6:36 AM
Nov 2013
You can't just point out an extreme case and say bullying is more severe. When I was in high school we had full assemblies and so many speeches about about this incident, granted we called it hazing (I didn't go to that school btw.) http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/ringleader-hazing-pack-troubled-teen-blamed-leading-vicious-attacks-article-1.522605

Aug 29, 2017 8:46 AM

Apr 2017
Even the american shows contain bullying and some bad words and scenes but that does not mean it happens in america (i am not american so i dont know how the americans are)
So i do not think that animes describe how the japaneses are living

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Aug 29, 2017 8:51 AM
Jul 2018
Watch JapaneseManYuta on youtube to find out what Japanese people are actually like
Aug 29, 2017 8:56 AM
Jun 2017
S-quare22 said:
Even the american shows contain bullying and some bad words and scenes but that does not mean it happens in america (i am not american so i dont know how the americans are)
American shows do portray a lot of our culture and social structure. We do have bulling in America. It's not as bad now as it was years ago, but we can't deny that it's still around.

Zeruk said:
Watch JapaneseManYuta on youtube to find out what Japanese people are actually like
Does he talk about Japanese social structure and school?
Aug 29, 2017 8:56 AM
May 2017
Sorry... I may be innately rude.
But I like anime.
Aug 29, 2017 9:00 AM
Jul 2018
Kuraokani said:
S-quare22 said:
American shows do portray a lot of our culture and social structure. We do have bulling in America. It's not as bad now as it was years ago, but we can't deny that it's still around.

Zeruk said:
Does he talk about Japanese social structure and school?

Just give you genuine look at Japanese society through words of Japanese people instead of through filter of stereotype and bias that media is under. You will have a much better understanding of Japanese society (though don't know if he touch schools in any of his videos)
Aug 29, 2017 9:24 AM

Jan 2017
No, I seen how they can be. They aren't rude. They use the Code of Honor.
Aug 29, 2017 11:36 AM
Jun 2017
YayaChibi said:
@Kuraokani lmao Your point? So we both are on the same level of understanding with Japanese culture, from what your explaining, doesn't that give us more of a reason to discuss what we have? We both supposedly have the same knowledge, regarding Japanese culture, yet we have contradicting views, so it's better of to discuss the differences to give each other a better understanding lmao lol
If you actually care lmao I'm studying Japanese culture as well, curtsy of the Japanese adults I know lol.
To be honest, I don't really have anything to discuss. It was more of wanting people who have experienced Japanese culture to tell me how it is. I wouldn't really be able to hold my own in a discussion on this topic. I'd only be able to ask questions. Like I said, I meant no disrespect.
Aug 29, 2017 11:46 AM

Jun 2017

yep as mentioned, Group is very important thing in japan.
Japan is a very exclusive society. on the surface, we are kind to outsiders in the beginning.
but there is a huge distinction between people who are inside or outside one's group.
so if you are not in major local friends network or LINE group etc, maybe you are being bullied.
Aug 29, 2017 11:54 AM
Jun 2017
YayaChibi said:
Kuraokani said:
To be honest, I don't really have anything to discuss. It was more of wanting people who have experienced Japanese culture to tell me how it is. I wouldn't really be able to hold my own in a discussion on this topic. I'd only be able to ask questions. Like I said, I meant no disrespect.

Well, since I'm studying Japanese culture not only from its people but from those who have once studied and lived there, so I was contributing what I knew lmao lol
I don't think anyone would be offended by that??? lmao lol
BTW Your forum set is gone lol
Oh okay lol. I actually thought about studying Japanese culture but I don't know where I would do it. I'm in college now but idk if there's a class I can take or what.

I know XD. I can't decide what I want to use lol
Aug 29, 2017 12:11 PM

Dec 2012
In my experience...

No they're polite overly so even, unless they're in a crowd or part of a tour group and then prepare to be pushed, shoved, and generally have your personal space invaded.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - Yesterday

39 by BeastyAnimefan »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » The most overrated characters that everyone loves ( 1 2 3 )

Lizz_Aleister - Dec 1, 2020

102 by LoveYourEyes »»
20 minutes ago

» The best 3 animes you've ever seen? ( 1 2 )

Hachii13 - Mar 5

76 by Hitagi__Furude »»
22 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 )

707supremacist - May 5

97 by MHRX_999 »»
31 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9085 by anime-prime »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.