Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 9, 2017 12:53 PM

Apr 2015
It may look like there are not so many anime to watch, because there are no famous manga adaptations as we had last season. Nevertheless, there are even too many promising anime this season that I, at least, am looking forward to.
Jul 9, 2017 1:06 PM

Jul 2013
There are some promising anime series I was looking forward to but some of them disappointed me with their first ep. gotta go by the 3 ep rule though.
Jul 9, 2017 1:14 PM

Jun 2008
KAKEGURUI WILL SAVE ANIME!!!

Seriously...it's really fun and interesting.
Jul 9, 2017 1:16 PM

May 2015
keragamming said:
zal said:
Idk seems pretty much like any other season to me. Sometimes there is 1 really good show but it is not staple, more like an occasional thing.

And you are fine with that? Pretty low standard you have for anime if this is the norm for you.

How come, is this season supposed to be worse than usual?
Looks normally bad for me but I am also very superficial in saying this. There might be 1 or 2 potential 8s but I will wait the end of the season to take my chance. As for really good show I mean more like a 9.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2017 1:22 PM

Feb 2015
except few good shows it always has been rather weaker during summer season. I don't know why you would expect sudden increase.
Jul 9, 2017 3:42 PM

Nov 2013
Kagami said:
Blarey said:
Very underwhelming season indeed. There's a couple interesting titles though. I will never understand those who watch only seasonal anime no matter how bad they all are. I would be bashing my head against the wall.
I love watching seasonal. It isnt too hard. I just have fun watching and staying up to date with new stuff.

I watch a lot of seasonal too. If a season comes along where nothing looks interesting, I'm not gonna force myself to watch them. I watched 11 anime last season, but this season maybe only 3 or 4. Anyway, do you really feel like this season is just fine how it is? It may be too early to tell, but you can usually get a feel for how an anime is gonna be after one episode.
Jul 9, 2017 4:46 PM

May 2016
This season has Owarimonogatari S2 so no.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 9, 2017 5:50 PM

Apr 2016
Almost every season, I look at the synopsis for all the shows and think they all look like crap. Then you start watching them, and it never fails; there will be a few that capture your attention and the season becomes like every season past - a few great shows, a few decent shows, and a truckload of crap.

Sure, not every season will turn up a gem like Tsuki ga Kirei, but based on the first couple of weeks (and with a few more shows yet to air), there's already at least a few standouts:

- Made in Abyss. This looks like what SukaSuka should've been if it had better production values. Most promise so far

- Princess Principal. Might be another hidden gem. Great animation and pace. Intriguing world building and story so far.

- Kakkegurui. Something different at least, but holds your attention. Solid first couple of episodes.
Jul 9, 2017 6:06 PM
Apr 2017
Shit I only saw two anime that I would watch but by the end of the season I'll be watching 7 or 8 usually that's the case but this season man I saw 2 good anime that I would watch but I can't see myself eatching 7 or 8 at the end of the season. 4 at best. What I'm waiting for is fall. That will be such a good season for anime. We should get so many good anime sequels and new anime
Jul 9, 2017 6:08 PM
Apr 2017
TheLonelyCynic said:
It doesn't seem any worse than last season.

Compared to the last 2 seasons, it is horrible
Jul 9, 2017 6:18 PM

Oct 2015
Not really for me cuz in the end ill have like 30 anime that ill follow during the week just like every other season....
But the best ones so far for me were:
Isekai Shokudou
Tsurezure Children
Aho-Girl
New Game!!
Netsuzou Trap -NTR-
Made in Abyss
Ballroom e Youkoso
Shoukoku no Altair
Hina Logi
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
Kakegurui
Princess Principal
Knight's & Magic
Fate/Apocrypha
Jul 9, 2017 6:21 PM

May 2015
Don't see how it's worse than any other season.

Jul 9, 2017 6:52 PM

Mar 2017
I'm gonna be that guys that says because there is no jojo

come, you sweet hour of death
Jul 9, 2017 6:58 PM

Jun 2016
No ways, I'm enjoying the heck out of One Piece and Detective Conan
Jul 9, 2017 7:00 PM

Feb 2016
Nah. Give the current anime a few more weeks before passing judgment. One thing I will say is Touken Ranbu = Trash lol
Jul 10, 2017 1:06 AM

Jun 2015
Gakata_sintoki said:
TheLonelyCynic said:
It doesn't seem any worse than last season.

Not really, all seasons have had a slew of bad with a small handful of good, and this season looks no different, though it is still too early to tell if that'll change.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Jul 10, 2017 1:12 AM

Jan 2016
It's because this season has many new series...

For me, no.
Jul 10, 2017 2:15 AM
Apr 2017
TheLonelyCynic said:
Gakata_sintoki said:

Not really, all seasons have had a slew of bad with a small handful of good, and this season looks no different, though it is still too early to tell if that'll change.

Yeah but if you look at the quality of the shows last season compared to this, this season is very lacking compared to the last and one before
Jul 10, 2017 2:21 AM

Jul 2013
I don't know since I haven't tried much, but it is always the same. Most seasons actually tend to be good. It might not be up your ballpark, but I guarantee it is up someone else's. Personally, though I think I am going to get 2-5 shows to watch and imo that is a perfectly fine thing.
Jul 10, 2017 5:29 AM

Jun 2015
Gakata_sintoki said:
TheLonelyCynic said:

Yeah but if you look at the quality of the shows last season compared to this, this season is very lacking compared to the last and one before

It's hard to judge the quality of shows this season when most have only had one episode, and others haven't even premiered yet.

Last season maybe had four good shows, this season will probably be the same, so like I said, this season doesn't seem any worse than the last.
Jul 10, 2017 5:34 AM
Apr 2017
TheLonelyCynic said:
Gakata_sintoki said:

It's hard to judge the quality of shows this season when most have only had one episode, and others haven't even premiered yet.

Last season maybe had four good shows, this season will probably be the same, so like I said, this season doesn't seem any worse than the last.

Depending on what you watched. I watched 7-8 shows last season and all of em were good so it's really depending on what you watched u can compare them. The shows this season have a less appeal than last season. Only one of them caught my eye
Jul 10, 2017 5:58 AM

Jun 2015
Gakata_sintoki said:
TheLonelyCynic said:

Depending on what you watched. I watched 7-8 shows last season and all of em were good so it's really depending on what you watched u can compare them. The shows this season have a less appeal than last season. Only one of them caught my eye
What show this season caught your eye? There's been a few for me that left a good first impression.
Jul 10, 2017 7:07 AM

Jan 2017
lol no this season is great the previous 2 seasons were shit
last season I only watched 5 anime and i only really liked 3 of them
and the one before it I only watched 5 anime and i still didn't finish 2 of them
this season i am watching and loving
kakegurui
koi to uso
New game season 2
isekai shokudou
aho girl
battle girls high school

i am watching the lesbian anime and another anime but for i now I am not liking them a lot

i plan to watch that isekai harem anime
and 3p.... and princess principal and of course no game no life movie
Jul 10, 2017 9:23 AM

Jun 2016
I felt the same way as you in the Spring 2016 season and even if this season so far isn't really ''great'', I' m looking forward to more shows this season. Also, this season we have Kakegurui which is amazing so far.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Jul 10, 2017 10:03 AM

Mar 2012
I'll admit that I do find the Summer 2017 season kind of lackluster, but I'm still going to watch most of them. It's still at least better than than Fall 2016, which I ended up skipping the entire season of it.

Credit to Hihanteki
Jul 10, 2017 11:04 AM
Apr 2017
TheLonelyCynic said:
Gakata_sintoki said:

What show this season caught your eye? There's been a few for me that left a good first impression.

Tbh only owarimonogatari I will watch but that isekai anime with smartphone in its name caught my eye too
Jul 10, 2017 11:53 AM

Dec 2012
pretty awful but not as bad as spring which was so full of gay junk it was pitiful.

this time it is a ton of youma all over the place as plot fillers.

the three i will try out are

Made in Abyss (looks GREAT tho a little sad they had to stylize the characters into jokes)
Knights and Magic...looks superb but again why did they have to make a joke main character?
Princess Principal ....and yet another joke main character....geez
Aho Girl is so dumb it may be funny

but really a terrible season with very little to look forward to A-1 Pictures is wasted on yet another supernatural dumb story. they seem to be creeping back..the dark, supernatural stuff and time shifts etc. at least there are not a ton of academy clueless boy harem shows this time

but pretty sad... and the plethora of CGI animation that is shallow and really awful is sad

Jul 10, 2017 12:34 PM

Jul 2014
I'm really enjoying it so far and I'm currently watching 25 shows which probably will increase to 30 odd when everything starts to air. There are plenty of fun and enjoyable shows this season.
'Those who like space, can't be bad people'

Jul 11, 2017 3:58 AM

Jun 2016
Why do you care about discussing anime as it airs or watching anime as it airs at all? You could just watch a season of classics like, then once a new season starts watch all of last season's shows. You'll have just as much anime, will be more likely to remember details of more complicated series and just have a more complete experience if you don't have to wait a week for each episode.
Jul 11, 2017 5:06 AM

Apr 2011
It is always interesting to see how the general consensus of perspective on which seasons are more favourable usually bears an opposite side to my own viewpoints. While usually I find the appealing shows to be scarce in number (and where I do not pick more than three or four series per season), this summer is quite overwhelming for me.

Kakegurui, Ballroom e Youkoso, Jikan no Shihaisha, Shoukoku no Altair, Vatican Kiseki Chousakan, Dive!!, Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun and Hitorijime My Hero have all caught my attention, plus Boku no Hero Academia and Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul are still on their continuing run. That is triple the amount of my usual number.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Jul 11, 2017 5:44 AM

Jun 2015
Gakata_sintoki said:
TheLonelyCynic said:

Tbh only owarimonogatari I will watch but that isekai anime with smartphone in its name caught my eye too

I've got to agree with you there, new Monogatari is the only thing really worth looking forward to.
I'm not sure what you've actually started, but Made in Abyss seems like something to keep an eye on.
Jul 11, 2017 5:56 AM
Jul 2018
I'm perfectly fine with the summer season.
Altair and Jigoku Shoujo plus the third Yome OVA, the Bungou Stray Dogs OVA, the fifth Digimon Tri movie and the Ghibli movie are enough for me. ^^
Jul 11, 2017 6:06 AM

Oct 2015
A lot of people complaining about this season again. There's more shows that are watchable compared to last season and as far as the ones I've watched so far, they aren't half bad even the ones that are already rated lowly for whatever reason (Vatican Miracle Examiners, Shokoku no Altair, Dive!!.
Jul 11, 2017 6:52 AM
Jul 2018
Nothing I've tried so far had a start that would hook me in, so I second you OP.

The leftovers Re:CREATORS and Virgin Soul are still the most enjoyable ones.
Jul 11, 2017 7:04 AM
Jun 2016
This is the best season so far this year i have 18 shows im currently watching and only see dropping only 2 or 3 of them. While the other seasons i only ended up with 3 or 5 of them
Jul 11, 2017 7:59 AM

May 2012
Princess Principal 1st episode was so good. More people should watch it
thepathJul 11, 2017 9:35 AM
Jul 11, 2017 8:02 AM

Feb 2010
It actually looks pretty decent compared to last season. Last one seemed slightly below average with this one slightly above average. But then I'm mostly talking about non-sequels because every season these days has a ton of cool sequels.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 11, 2017 8:41 AM

Jun 2011
What you could do:

Watch arbitrarily important series from the dawn of anime whenever there is a bad season. Here are some suggested titles:

Akira

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ghost in the Shell

Astro Boy

Speed Racer

Kimba the White Lion

Princess Knight

The Gundam Franchise (there are 98 and it should keep you busy)

Sailor Moon

Cutey Honey

10-20 movies from Ghibli

Captain Harlock +Galaxy Express 999

Space Runway Ideon

Space Battleship Yamato

Tenchi Muyo

Slayers

Saint Seiya franchise

Macross

Maison Ikkoku

Perfect Blue (just add everything Satoshi Kon honestly

Kimegure Orange Road

City Hunter

Honestly you see where I am going here. There is a WEALTH of things to watch. Yet, we are always focused on "this season"
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jul 11, 2017 10:12 AM

Dec 2015
Well if were gonna have a basic conversation like this lemme tell u straight away that nothing will be worse than Fall 16. So u cant go any more downhill than that.
Jul 11, 2017 10:22 AM
Sep 2015
Yes! I tried nearly 10 shows and read all of the sypnosises of the new animes and none of them were interesting! I dropped some shows that I could sit and watch a full episode but I didn't even try to bother with adding others to my list. I completely agree, this is the worst season I've seen so far!
Jul 11, 2017 10:29 AM

Dec 2013
Nothing immediately stands out to me but I won't know until later. Will try Abyss and maybe a couple others. I'm basically waiting for Evergarden and Yuasa's new stuff.
Jul 11, 2017 12:15 PM

Jan 2014
Robiiii said:
Well if were gonna have a basic conversation like this lemme tell u straight away that nothing will be worse than Fall 15. So u cant go any more downhill than that.

There I fixed it for you Robiii

MEOWAAA
Jul 11, 2017 12:34 PM

Dec 2015

DoctorWasabi said:
Robiiii said:
Well if were gonna have a basic conversation like this lemme tell u straight away that nothing will be worse than Fall 15. So u cant go any more downhill than that.

There I fixed it for you Robiii

MEOWAAA

That season is also lacking, has lots of weird sht, but it has OPM n Noragami sequel so it passes in my book.
I just want something like Summer 15 or something lmao
Jul 11, 2017 12:37 PM
Oct 2010
I actually agree, other than kakeguiri and maybe two others, I have no interest in anything else. Normally I'd pick up 6-7 and then drop 3-4 but this season I haven't even bothered trying the others after just looking at PVs and general synopsis. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but everything looks so bad.
Jul 11, 2017 1:07 PM

May 2016
I didn't watch too much anime in the previous seasons,
but I kinda like the summer 2017 season
[because of made in abyss]
I like bad endings

Jul 11, 2017 1:25 PM

Jun 2014
This season is definitely an improvement over last season where nothing really caught my attention aside from the sequels. This morning after finishing the first episodes of Welcome to the Ballroom and Vatican Miracle Examiners, I had that urge of wanting more which was absent previously. All it takes is a couple of shows with compelling stories that will demand my attention.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 11, 2017 1:32 PM

Jul 2013
Onsa_Rin said:
Almost every season, I look at the synopsis for all the shows and think they all look like crap. Then you start watching them, and it never fails; there will be a few that capture your attention and the season becomes like every season past - a few great shows, a few decent shows, and a truckload of crap.

Sure, not every season will turn up a gem like Tsuki ga Kirei, but based on the first couple of weeks (and with a few more shows yet to air), there's already at least a few standouts:

- Made in Abyss. This looks like what SukaSuka should've been if it had better production values. Most promise so far

- Princess Principal. Might be another hidden gem. Great animation and pace. Intriguing world building and story so far.

- Kakkegurui. Something different at least, but holds your attention. Solid first couple of episodes.

Granted I haven't seen the first episode of Made in Abyss and I think the background art was amazing just from the trailers alone, but SukaSuka had great production values lol
Jul 11, 2017 2:30 PM

Apr 2016
Calal-Chan said:
Onsa_Rin said:

Granted I haven't seen the first episode of Made in Abyss and I think the background art was amazing just from the trailers alone, but SukaSuka had great production values lol

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed SukaSuka immensely, but the animation, pacing and directing suffered from some choppiness and general roughness around the edges. Compare this to the rather polished work that Made in Abyss displayed throughout the episode, and you can't help but wonder how great SukaSuka could have been with the same people behind it.
Jul 11, 2017 2:50 PM

Jun 2015
I thought it looked pretty average at first but it is turning out to be the only season I have liked so far this year.
:)
Jul 11, 2017 3:08 PM

Jul 2013
Onsa_Rin said:
Calal-Chan said:

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed SukaSuka immensely, but the animation, pacing and directing suffered from some choppiness and general roughness around the edges. Compare this to the rather polished work that Made in Abyss displayed throughout the episode, and you can't help but wonder how great SukaSuka could have been with the same people behind it.

Hmm, I disagree XD I thought the directing and animation was really good in SukaSuka. It stayed pretty consistent throughout and occasionally was amazing during specific points. Now Made in Abyss might be better animated. I don't know yet, but SukaSuka was plenty above average in the animation department. I myself never noticed any pacing issues either. I was even saying while watching how good it looked all the time xD. And yeah since we both enjoyed SukaSuka I guess we shouldn't really argue too much lol. And whenever I get to it I will look forward to Made in Abyss. Dang the background art is amazing.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What does it mean to have many shows in your * watching * list ?

Yonahim_Zz - 21 minutes ago

5 by Zettaiken »»
18 seconds ago

» the worst anime season

Autonomia - 56 minutes ago

4 by Eleben »»
46 seconds ago

» Spoiled by the algorithm

zaako - 4 minutes ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Ever stopped watching an anime bc you like it so much ?

Yonahim_Zz - 2 hours ago

11 by Yonahim_Zz »»
3 minutes ago

» Do we need a 30 year old Husbando?

RedTea33 - 9 hours ago

4 by deg »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.