Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2010 12:52 AM

Sep 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is different from what I expected. It's somewhat interesting....I wonder where this will go...

I wonder if she was always like that or if she became like that after their relationship started....guess we might find out next episode.
May 25, 2010 10:02 PM

Oct 2009
Well, I am a little late, but here is the answer on when it became like that, After their relationship started, as she went home alone, they must have modded her body, and the bandaids were one indication. Also, when he hugs her after the bombs, he says her heart wasn't beating, so it had to have happened somewhere in between the kiss, and the hug.
Apr 19, 2011 11:29 AM
Mar 2009
haha, the ending was hilarious
schemerApr 19, 2011 11:35 AM
Sep 8, 2011 8:52 PM

Mar 2008
Some would consider this a Spoiler so here it goes:
Aug 5, 2012 5:50 PM

Jul 2010
It's so doused in sadness. I can tell I'm going to cry a lot throughout these 13 episodes. *grabs tissues*
Nov 8, 2012 12:13 AM

Sep 2011
Oh wow. Pretty damn good, not gunna lie.
Apr 11, 2013 11:23 PM

Dec 2007
From the first few minutes, I'm guessing this is a flashback series. He says everything past tense, then looks at the diary. This shows a flashback. It looks like the rose quartz jewelry was powering her. It feels like a dystopia novel. There are military patrols, they can't use cellphones or the internet, and television shows are limited to reruns.
Sep 26, 2013 10:41 PM

Jan 2013
I'm in love.
I love anime that start out with 2 characters, one boy one girl, just interacting. Plus it has some sweet romance. Rare to see an anime start with them already dating, and a kiss scene the first episode. What more could I ask for?

Nice twist as well.

I like where this is going.
Jan 7, 2015 10:43 PM

May 2011
That's...really a very powerful first impression. I have a feeling this might turn out extremely tragic, and I am worried.

And I am also kind of curious who is the douche enemy country attacking Japan. If it is something like Murica I will really be laughing my ass off.
5/5
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Apr 22, 2015 7:58 PM

Jun 2013
Really great first episode! I can already tell this is going to make me cry though
Apr 23, 2015 6:53 PM

Feb 2013
Whoa this looks ugly, but this is Gonzo so no surprise there.

Anyway that sure escalated quickly
Jun 10, 2015 5:57 AM

Jan 2013
Hmm decent first episode, I'm guessing she became a weapon when those men followed her, when she was walking home alone.

The voice acting felt a bit ... off, maybe it'll improve.

This could be a very interesting story though.
Aug 6, 2015 11:02 PM

Dec 2010
Just came here to say that this is probably one of the best first episodes of any series I've ever watched.
Aug 15, 2015 5:10 AM

Aug 2013
I feel huge amount of drama incoming.
Very interesting start.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 4, 2015 10:23 AM
Jul 2014
Interesting!
Feb 21, 2016 11:25 AM

May 2012
Loved the start I must say, quite loving the romance and dramatic parts already from the get go! The pacing is also pretty decent so I sure am looking forward to see what this anime has to offer us!
May 19, 2016 7:17 AM

Nov 2011
Start lying close to the schemes of an anime series belonging to the romantic genre, everything goes like clockwork until the end, when everything seems to tip, giving a different atmosphere to the narrative. Comedy simple but nice, the drawing and scenarios are the only obstacle a little tough this anime series, but when one begins to love the characters and developed a passion for history, just listed defects disappear. Excellent soundtrack, ending catchy.
Jul 6, 2016 9:22 PM

Mar 2015
From 2002 anime, pretty sure the art is impressive. I like Chise already and she is one of want to be her lover list. Character design for Shuuji is well done too.

At first I thought they were going to break up on 1st episode? But their relationship became sweet and it is a nice opportunity for kiss as well.

Awww, she became weapon at the end. Stay at her side, Shuuji!

4.2/5
Jul 9, 2017 3:51 PM

Aug 2013
Well just from the first ep I can tell this series is definitely not what I had expected it to be! It seems even better.
I remember everybody raving about this years ago, so I'm really excited to be starting it!
This was a powerful beginning, hopefully the plot doesn't fall through! I can already tell it isn't going to be a happy go lucky anime.
May 17, 2019 5:58 PM

Nov 2016
Ah, this seems right up my alley. The beginning was very light hearted, I enjoyed the character interactions and comedy bits a lot, but you could also tell there was sense of dread in the air. I'm really interested to see how this will play out.

Regarding the art, it's simple and I can see why someone would think of it as aesthetically unpleasing, but imo it adds some charm. I like the color palette too, warm, but not too bright, enhancing the great atmosphere. And Chise is a cutie.

All in all, promising start.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 10, 2020 11:13 AM

May 2016
FMmatron said:
Ah, this seems right up my alley. The beginning was very light hearted, I enjoyed the character interactions and comedy bits a lot, but you could also tell there was sense of dread in the air. I'm really interested to see how this will play out.

Regarding the art, it's simple and I can see why someone would think of it as aesthetically unpleasing, but imo it adds some charm. I like the color palette too, warm, but not too bright, enhancing the great atmosphere. And Chise is a cutie.

Irs a great change from all these fully saturated shows of these last years, and the story is also great thanks for the recommendation.
Mar 10, 2020 11:29 AM

Nov 2016
Raizel said:
FMmatron said:

Irs a great change from all these fully saturated shows of these last years, and the story is also great thanks for the recommendation.

You're welcome and you're in for quite the ride.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 14, 2020 11:13 PM
Aug 2016
This is my first time watching, so regardless how good this anime ended up (saw that score), I still have to applaud the first episode.

Shuuji, our male protagnist is hesitating about getting a girlfriend and make her happy, he came straight to the point that he is tired and wanting to end the relationship. Unlike some other boys in anime or in real life use tiredness as excuse to date other girls while still having a relationship, Shuuji is more likable and I appreciate that.

Chise, on the other hand does not like Shuuji as much as she portrays and is trying hard to maintain the relationship. When Shuuji ask for a breakup, Chise burst into tears and admit that she isn't actually wanting a boyfriend.

At this point, Shuuji notice his feelings for Chise. Both of them are just too young to understand b/g relationship but they came to be truthful to each other. And then, they decide to start afresh.

At the end of the episode, Shuuji found out that Chise has turn out to be different from normal human, and unlike most protagonist who scream and question why, Shuuji feels her sadness and walk over to give her a hug.

I really like episode, its refreshing.
Jul 17, 2022 6:09 PM
Oct 2019
never really know what to expect from some of these older anime but this was decent

the intro makes it pretty obvious that chise either dies or is no longer able to be with him. and it looks like most the world has died off? is he the last survivor? what is the war about? who is it between? and what happens to chise? just some questions i'm expecting to have answered as i continue watching

probably a 6+/10 first episode
Oct 9, 2022 1:32 PM

Sep 2017
Not bad! It started pretty strong.

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
Jun 16, 2023 12:50 PM

Dec 2022
Main character has a cyborg girlfriend now. Pretty sweet deal, if you ask me.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saikano Episode 10 Discussion

fishergirl16 - Aug 8, 2012

12 by IrnFox »»
Feb 10, 11:48 AM

» Howling sound mp3

Tovam - May 24, 2011

2 by IrnFox »»
Feb 10, 10:33 AM

Poll: » Saikano Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DarkBlue - Feb 19, 2008

71 by astsqusto »»
Feb 10, 6:37 AM

Poll: » Saikano Episode 8 Discussion

fishergirl16 - Aug 7, 2012

17 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 16, 2023 4:38 PM

Poll: » Saikano Episode 5 Discussion

fishergirl16 - Aug 7, 2012

20 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 16, 2023 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.