Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 27, 2017 5:30 PM

Feb 2015
So there is official news that we have to wait until August, and it's for a 2-day running time. This is similar to the airing of Nekomonogatari: Kuro, Hanamonogatari and Tsukimonogatari.

Except this is over 2 days, and has the potential to be twice as long as those monogatari entries. It seems most likely that it will be 8 episodes worth of airing time in total, though given that Hanamonogatari had 5 episodes in one day, it could potentially be as much as 10. Or, potentially much less pleasingly, I suppose it could have as little as 3 episodes per day.
8 episodes seems like a good amount for these arcs. 6 would be pushing it to be rushed and 10 would probably be too much.

The longer wait for it to air definitely sucks, but at least there will be no week-long cliffhangers after each episode!

I'm maybe a little obsessed with Monogatari OPs, so this 2-day airing could be a negative. Though each episode will get an OP on the Blu-Ray, it is most likely that it will be limited to 1 OP per day on the TV schedule. A Mayoi OP on the 12th of August and an Ougi OP on the 13th of August. Since Hitagi Rendezvous is in the middle and is the shortest arc, it will likely be that we have to wait until the Blu-Rays to see a new Hitagi OP.

Thoughts? :P
Jun 27, 2017 5:49 PM

Sep 2015
That's so weird why would they do that? I assumed that this would be a regular 1 cour show and they would release Zokuowarimonogatari as the 1 day special. Shaft is a very strange studio.
Jun 27, 2017 5:51 PM

Aug 2016
ya_hallo said:
That's so weird why would they do that? I assumed that this would be a regular 1 cour show and they would release Zokuowarimonogatari as the 1 day special. Shaft is a very strange studio.

8 episodes(w/c is the likely ep count as OP said) is weird for TV format. Also probably so they have time to release it(August instead of July). Shaft has been quite busy as seeing as Kubikiri Cycle has also had delayed episode releases.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Jun 27, 2017 5:52 PM

Nov 2013
I thought they would release two episodes at once like last season, but this is a bit weird..
More time to spend waiting for Monogatari! Nothing new here guys.
Jun 27, 2017 8:44 PM

Apr 2014
Ok the Monogatari fanbase has been annoying me lately. In fact I dont even think I can call some of the people I have seen complaining even fans.

1. People probably think SHAFT is rushing it because they see the 3 arc tag and assume it deserves 1 cour. If you actually picked up a light novel or even just look at how short the arcs are online you would realize that making 12 episodes with these 3 arcs would be nearly impossible. I'd say 8 episodes is pushing it to the point of turning the series boring or dragged.

Book 1 Pages 386 - Ougi Formula - Sodachi Riddle - Sodachi Lost
Book 2 Pages 328 - Shinobu Mai
Book 3 Pages 386 - Mayoi Hell -Hitagi Rendezvous - Ougi Dark

Do I have to do the goddamn math for you? If you expect 8 episodes stop it now. I am not saying I know the episode count for certain but 12 episodes are virtually impossible. 8 episodes would be them stretching it A LOT. What is normal is 5-7 episodes. I think it would be a clean timeslot if they go for 3 episodes each special. I am not going to predict how each arc will be split in terms of duration but Hitagi Rendezvous arc is extremely short whereas Ougi Dark is relevantly longer than both.

2. For some reason they are mad they are getting it later. Even though we are technically getting 3 arcs all at once. These are consecutively arcs that play off each other. Personally, it would kill me to watch it weekly. Getting a taste of Hana and Tsuki should already prove how much better in terms of storytelling this format is.

3. Idk where ppl got the July date from but ppl swear by it. Thus making them think this is a delay instead of intentional. Shaft has stated from the start that they already wrote the script around the time owari "Monogatari series producer Atsuhiro Iwakami stated in September 2015 that the scenario for the Owarimonogatari novel series' third volume had already been written up, but that the production team was still deliberating on how best to present it."

This was planned from the start. Please stop getting angry because of your inability to gather information and misunderstanding Japanese. I had to debunk the 7/4 rumor plenty of times on mal and other places.

I am not directing my words at anyone in particular nor does it even have to address people on this forum. I want to adress the entire community that claims to be Monogatari fans and get disapointed that their own fan theories got shut down

I am hyped that we can conclude this wonderful series in a 2 day window. Has Hana and Tsuki taught us nothing? The production value when it isnt a TV series dramatically improves. Why? Because they dont have to work on a weekly format. Idk what else to say today. I have repeated myself over and over trying to get people to understand.
Jun 28, 2017 12:32 AM

Oct 2013
moodie said:
Ok the Monogatari fanbase has been annoying me lately. In fact I dont even think I can call some of the people I have seen complaining even fans.

1. People probably think SHAFT is rushing it because they see the 3 arc tag and assume it deserves 1 cour. If you actually picked up a light novel or even just look at how short the arcs are online you would realize that making 12 episodes with these 3 arcs would be nearly impossible. I'd say 8 episodes is pushing it to the point of turning the series boring or dragged.

Do I have to do the goddamn math for you? If you expect 8 episodes stop it now. I am not saying I know the episode count for certain but 12 episodes are virtually impossible. 8 episodes would be them stretching it A LOT. What is normal is 5-7 episodes. I think it would be a clean timeslot if they go for 3 episodes each special. I am not going to predict how each arc will be split in terms of duration but Hitagi Rendezvous arc is extremely short whereas Ougi Dark is relevantly longer than both.

2. For some reason they are mad they are getting it later. Even though we are technically getting 3 arcs all at once. These are consecutively arcs that play off each other. Personally, it would kill me to watch it weekly. Getting a taste of Hana and Tsuki should already prove how much better in terms of storytelling this format is.

3. Idk where ppl got the July date from but ppl swear by it. Thus making them think this is a delay instead of intentional. Shaft has stated from the start that they already wrote the script around the time owari "Monogatari series producer Atsuhiro Iwakami stated in September 2015 that the scenario for the Owarimonogatari novel series' third volume had already been written up, but that the production team was still deliberating on how best to present it."

This was planned from the start. Please stop getting angry because of your inability to gather information and misunderstanding Japanese. I had to debunk the 7/4 rumor plenty of times on mal and other places.

I am not directing my words at anyone in particular nor does it even have to address people on this forum. I want to adress the entire community that claims to be Monogatari fans and get disapointed that their own fan theories got shut down

I am hyped that we can conclude this wonderful series in a 2 day window. Has Hana and Tsuki taught us nothing? The production value when it isnt a TV series dramatically improves. Why? Because they dont have to work on a weekly format. Idk what else to say today. I have repeated myself over and over trying to get people to understand.

You Sir, I agree with you.
Jun 28, 2017 12:41 AM

Feb 2015
At least there's time now to watch all 3 Kizu movies and re-watch the entire series.
Jun 28, 2017 12:52 AM

Jul 2013
I trust Shaft in this regard (considering we are talking about it's more succesful franchise along with Madoka Magica), and they have adapted the franchise very well so far. Also, considering what moodie has wrote above, if this has been planned since 2015, then I am sure the staff knows what they are doing and wouldn't screw the adaptation.

Now, I hope they gave a different opening for each special, and I hope too for an ending theme as good as the previous ones (I guess both specials will have the same considering they are part of the same series).
IllyricusJun 28, 2017 1:01 AM
Jun 28, 2017 1:00 AM

Apr 2016
Doesn't matter to me much if full series or just "specials" still hyped.
Jun 28, 2017 4:23 AM

Sep 2013
I'm a little conflicted with this.

On one hand, it gives me the chance to see Kizu Part 3 when it's released on Blu Ray in mid July.

On the other hand...I really wanna see Mayoi again T_T.

Jun 28, 2017 9:05 AM

Feb 2015
moodie said:

Yeah, I agree with a lot of of this. I never thought it would get a full cour. And I hadn't considered that the quality would improve in the special format, and you're right. That is a good thing. And I never believed the July 4th date as an absolute.

You say 5-7 episodes but really? No way would 5 be enough. 6 I guess might be it, an even 3 eps per day. But remember volume 1 got adapted in 7 eps, and it has the same number of pages. 7 would be good enough for sure, I just assumed it would be an even number given that it's 2 days. And since vol 1 got 7 eps, is it really that crazy to assume that vol 3 might get 8 eps? Is it really that much of a stretch? I know you weren't targeting this at me but I thought I'd justify my belief that it may be 8 eps.

If it were 6 eps, it would probably be: eps 1-2: Mayoi Hell. Ep 3: Hitagi Rendezvous. Eps 4-6: Ougi Dark. Relative extensions would be made if it gets 7-8 eps.
Jun 28, 2017 5:28 PM

Jan 2016
I agree with everything @moodie said, I was gonna talk about the negative reaction to this news but he covered everything.

I personally think this is great news and is being handled as good as can be. Making this a TV Series that included Zoku would have been a mess, and I personally love the Special format. I'd rather get the whole thing at once and consume it at my own pace (you know, like how the books were released) instead of being forced to watch weekly. And anyway, August isn't even far away, and we will have Kizu III to tide us over in the meantime. Everyone who's upset about this is just misinformed or stupid.
Jun 28, 2017 8:03 PM

Feb 2016
moodie said:

you're a god seriously
Jun 28, 2017 10:59 PM

Jan 2008
moodie said:
The production value when it isnt a TV series dramatically improves. Why? Because they dont have to work on a weekly format.

TV anime in general are still not made on a weekly format. Animating (layout -> key animation -> complete video) just one episode takes ~2 months of slavery and that is just the animation alone, I haven't even counted the rest of the procedure (the meetings, the editings, the dubbing, etc.).

Had Shirobako not taught anything to you guys?
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Jun 29, 2017 3:20 AM
Jul 2016
HHonestly im a big fan of bing watching so this is great news for me
Jun 29, 2017 5:42 AM
May 2015
moodie said:
The production value when it isnt a TV series dramatically improves. Why? Because they dont have to work on a weekly format. Idk what else to say today. I have repeated myself over and over trying to get people to understand.
That was nice long informative read. As for your last statement though, that's not exactly how TV production works. By the time the series starts airing, 3-5 episodes are already done. If not then the studio is in for a mess of a production. Each episode typically takes about 3-4 weeks-ish? to complete. It doesn't matter if it's a TV Series or a series premeiring in one whole day, the production time is still the same nonetheless.
jc9622Jun 29, 2017 5:46 AM

Jun 29, 2017 6:34 AM

Oct 2014
I think Owari 1 should've been split into Ougi Formula/Sodachi Lost/Riddle and Shinobu Mail so I'm glad that Owari 2 isn't gonna have Zokuowari tacked on at the end. Sure, it's gonna be a longer wait, but Kizu 3 BD comes out around 2 weeks from now and, personally speaking, I prefer to watch whole arcs at once (I binged the entire show last summer and I'm watching all of Kizu again when 3 comes out) so I'm cool with this.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Jun 30, 2017 8:35 AM
Jun 30, 2017 8:43 AM

Dec 2015
Youtube:

Jun 30, 2017 8:44 AM

Jul 2013
7 episodes in total. Not bad. It's more or less what I expected.
The new PV doesn't shows much, but still makes me very hyped.
Jun 30, 2017 9:02 AM

Sep 2013
Illyricus said:
7 episodes in total. Not bad. It's more or less what I expected.
The new PV doesn't shows much, but still makes me very hyped.

just to provide source since I myself always hate to have to look for that kind of stuff myself:

https://twitter.com/nisioisin_anime/status/880810985929363456

//edit: Oh my bad it's also in the video above :P
Just saw that on twitter after getting home, got in here to see if someone posted it and didn't see it. Should have just watched the 30sec video first, my bad.
Jun 30, 2017 9:11 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I expected around 6-8 episodes so I wasn't that off. Can't wait for it!
Jun 30, 2017 9:12 AM

Feb 2015

Thanks for sharing this. Apparently this confirms 7 episodes. Eh, I wasn't far off. And this certainly isn't bad news. It's a lot better than 6 and obviously 5 was never going to be it. I am hyped!
Jun 30, 2017 9:13 AM

Aug 2015
Looking forward to seeing Hitagi Rendez-vous. ^^
I miss Senjou. :/
Jul 1, 2017 10:19 PM

Jul 2008
jc9622 said:
moodie said:
The production value when it isnt a TV series dramatically improves. Why? Because they dont have to work on a weekly format. Idk what else to say today. I have repeated myself over and over trying to get people to understand.
That was nice long informative read. As for your last statement though, that's not exactly how TV production works. By the time the series starts airing, 3-5 episodes are already done. If not then the studio is in for a mess of a production. Each episode typically takes about 3-4 weeks-ish? to complete. It doesn't matter if it's a TV Series or a series premeiring in one whole day, the production time is still the same nonetheless.

Not arguing the point since I'm not that knowledgeable myself, but back in season one of bakemonogatari, a few episodes of the TV airing were like....completely not finished (especially Nadeko Snake). It at least /felt/ like they were trying to throw each episode together within the week haha. It is kind of sad if it took 3+ months and they still had that many unfinished scenes.
Jul 3, 2017 5:22 PM

Oct 2014
@moodie

Or they could have added the final ark from Zoku Owarimonogatari and it would have fitted a 1 cour (12-13 episode) season perfectly.

That's actually what I was expecting from this but seems like they decided to do.... 2 special episodes for 3 arcs????? xD

I mean, at least do 3 episodes for 3 arcs :P
Jul 3, 2017 5:46 PM

Apr 2014
iN3krO said:
@moodie

Or they could have added the final ark from Zoku Owarimonogatari and it would have fitted a 1 cour (12-13 episode) season perfectly.

That's actually what I was expecting from this but seems like they decided to do.... 2 special episodes for 3 arcs????? xD

Zoku would be better suited as another TV special. Seriously TV specials for monogatari are superior visually.
Aug 11, 2017 8:53 AM

May 2016
iN3krO said:
@moodie

For a better word over what moodie had said. zoku is more like an extra story rather than an epilogue, the third book of monogatari final season is actually where everything is wrapped up. End this season with just the third book alone is a better choice than adding zoku just for the sake of having 12 episodes. zoku is better in a formation like Tsukimonogatari or maybe an OVA version like zaregoto first book.
Aug 11, 2017 1:17 PM

Jan 2012
I've been out of the loop recently, so maybe someone can fill me in:

I read a while back that SHAFT is planning to animate all of the monogatari novels. I don't want to spoil myself the story so I'm careful with what I'm googling, but according to Wikipedia there are quite a few LNs ahead of us.

So we're probably getting more in the future than Owari 2nd, and Zoku, right? Or are the other novels somehow not suited for animation?
Aug 11, 2017 7:19 PM

Nov 2007
All 7 eps. will be included in Owarimonogatari vol.6-8, to release October 25, November 29, and December 27.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

239 by Epiccgaymer »»
Apr 19, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

34 by Epiccgaymer »»
Apr 19, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

100 by Epiccgaymer »»
Apr 19, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

35 by RioFS »»
Apr 9, 6:48 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

47 by RioFS »»
Apr 9, 5:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.