Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 20, 2017 3:26 PM

May 2015
Real men admit that they cry when they're really feeling it!
Jun 20, 2017 3:27 PM

Apr 2017
I love a show that can make me cry, so I happily admit to my tears whenever they fall. I don't come across that many shows that induce crying, however. Here are some of the more effective titles I have viewed, in no particular order.

1) Texhnolyze
2) Gunslinger Girl
3) 5 Centimeters per Second
4) Monster
5) Area 88 OVA
6) Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
7) Kids on the Slope
8) Planetarian
9) Katanagatari
10) SAO season 1 (lol! I was a new viewer at the time.)
11) Seven Deadly Sins (There was this one episode...)
Jun 20, 2017 3:27 PM

Jan 2013

vegeta8639 said:
No I don't deny it but it rarely happens anyway. Why should I feel ashamed? Sadness is a human emotion and if the anime (or whatever other medium) was able to instill such strong emotion, obviously they did something right.

But usually I just get angry instead. Last time I cried while watching an anime was like 2 years ago when I was watching LoGH. It's usually when a character that's been around for a long time dies and it's done well that it gets to me that much.
I still wasn't bawling my eyes out but a few tears were shed.

Well, even if you don't feel embarassed about crying, people will call you a pussy all the same, so...
[/quote]

Call me a pussy lol. If it was over the internet I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.
If it was in real life, first of all I don't hang around with 13 year olds and second I doubt anybody would say it to my face. If they did, I'd probably just laugh it off.
I wouldn't lie about it but the topic hasn't come up yet.
Jun 20, 2017 3:28 PM

Aug 2015
oryouohagi said:
Chandela said:
Of course I'd admit anime has made me cry, why wouldn't I?

What is this stigma that exists against expressing your emotions?

It's patriarchal paradigm going on, so men should not show their emotions in front of others.
megamachine said:
I've never cryed with an anime, but I do remember feling depresed in once scene but I dont remember wich anime It was.

I guess you are more of a man than I am

I am not more man than you because of that. It depends on each person. If I am sorrounded by people who are criying I have a 80% chance to cry.
Jun 20, 2017 3:28 PM

Aug 2010
Tarotist said:

Yes, while watching a football match, when their fav team finally wins a championship or in similar situations, but not while watching MOTHERFUCKING POKEMON.

Putting the jokes aside, you are probably correct, I just don't have a stable enough social standing to allow myself to let others know about what and why made me cry.
Jun 20, 2017 3:34 PM

May 2015
oryouohagi said:
Tarotist said:

Yes, while watching a football match, when their fav team finally wins a championship or in similar situations, but not while watching MOTHERFUCKING POKEMON.

Putting the jokes aside, you are probably correct, I just don't have a stable enough social standing to allow myself to let others know about what and why made me cry.

It's like that skit in Joshiraku where the girls say random names to see how they react to them. And when they said the name "Hachiko", I knew exactly how they would react. Anyone who is familiar with the story of Hachiko would hesitate the moment they hear that name.
Jun 20, 2017 3:38 PM

Aug 2010
Tarotist said:
oryouohagi said:

It's like that skit in Joshiraku where the girls say random names to see how they react to them. And when they said the name "Hachiko", I knew exactly how they would react. Anyone who is familiar with the story of Hachiko would hesitate the moment they hear that name.

I hate dogs, because they bit me back when I was a kid.
I don't care about no loyal dogs, they just act like good guys to get our food.
At least cats don't pretend to be saints, they shit on our carpet without a moment's hesitation, then demand food to fill the void.

Jun 20, 2017 3:46 PM
May 2016
oryouohagi said:

I started crying from anime after Clannad broke me, while i am admitting it here on MAL, in real life i don't talk about the subject because people around me don't watch anime and would find it silly..
I think if you are conformable enough around the people you socialize with, it would be easier to admit it
Jun 20, 2017 3:50 PM
Jul 2011
oryouohagi said:
VampireXxBrianna said:

Me.lol

but seriously - this thread is like the threads that ask if you hide the fact that you like anime. Why would you care enough to worry or hide anything like this? Crying is natural, and I cry all the time with shows even if they're not particularly sad shows, but I guess I'm blessed because my family does the same thing with other mediums.

As I said, I live together with other guys, we are in our twenties, living the life with capitals.
Do you seriously think we would admit crying over an aime to each other?
As for the internet, I obviously admit, but not before my friends or family.

I don't think you as guys would admit it, but I think it's foolish not to, just because of your gender. Just because society has built up this "guys can't cry" or "crying is a sign of weakness" thing, to go along with it, it's ridiculous TO ME. Crying is natural. It'd be nice to have an expectation vs reality thing here except expectation = reality.
Jun 20, 2017 3:55 PM

Apr 2011
It happens so rarely but yeah, I don't see a reason why I should deny it.
Jun 20, 2017 4:06 PM

Jan 2014
I don't deny it but i really never have cried to an anime well that is if you don't count sheding a single tear as crying xD. And i wouldn't feel shameful it's healthy to cry lol although i don't do it often i mean maybe once per 1-2 years or so xD. It helps you calm down and releases you of stress. xD Of course tears of joy are a different matter :P.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Jun 20, 2017 4:52 PM

Jan 2016
I haven't actually needed to since none have made my cry so far. The second seasons of Assassination Classroom and K-On did get close for me though ;)
Jun 20, 2017 5:03 PM

Mar 2014
Nowadays it seems like it's more acceptable for guys to get "caught" crying at an anime or movie, or whatever, but I'll be honest: there's a pretty short list of anime that made me tear up.

Probably the most embarrassing was Kanon, but hey I was an emotional teenager, whatcha gonna do?

Anohana and Neon Genesis Evangelion (and End of Evangelion) probably hit me the hardest though.
Jun 20, 2017 7:43 PM
Jun 2016
Pullman said:
jinheanime34 said:
Guys do,

Girls don't

Why? cause guys don't like to be seen weak

no offense...

So guys admit that they are crying because they don't like to be seen as weak?

I mean I'd agree, feeling ashamed about such a natural thing as having emotions is a sign of a weak character for me and not worrying about your manliness is manlier than constantly thinking how other people might perceive your manliness.
But I'm not sure that's what you wanted to say?

Tho to be fair it's OPs fault this is so confusing since he asks completely opposite questions in the title and opening post. So any yes or no answer could mean 'yes I deny' or 'yes I admit' -.-.

No you totally got what I meant to say: boys don't like to show emotions and always try to look strong.
And yeah the question is pretty confusing XD but based on the answers above, it's a YES I DENY. Sorry it was my fault I made it confusing. -_- it should be Girls don't (deny) and boys do (deny)

:)
Jun 20, 2017 8:36 PM

Oct 2015
yes, i can admit that i have cried to some anime in the past (probably like 2-3 years ago) but now i hardly cry to every "sad" anime only.

Click the spinning
ghost for delivery (~‾▽‾)~
Jun 20, 2017 8:43 PM

Jun 2016
I've never cried when I watch anime but I have been close to tears on many occasions such as almost every moment in Koe no Katachi, Chopper's backstory in One Piece,
Jun 21, 2017 12:04 AM

Jan 2010
I hid it irl.

But I'm open in the net (here and other sites)

I even always counted how many times I cried after finishing a show and commented here on MAL.
Jun 21, 2017 12:13 AM

Aug 2010
VampireXxBrianna said:
oryouohagi said:

As I said, I live together with other guys, we are in our twenties, living the life with capitals.
Do you seriously think we would admit crying over an aime to each other?
As for the internet, I obviously admit, but not before my friends or family.

I don't think you as guys would admit it, but I think it's foolish not to, just because of your gender. Just because society has built up this "guys can't cry" or "crying is a sign of weakness" thing, to go along with it, it's ridiculous TO ME. Crying is natural. It'd be nice to have an expectation vs reality thing here except expectation = reality.

As I said before, you can be honest with your feelings, but at the end of the day you'll be labeled a pussy by society.
Shicchi said:
I hid it irl.

But I'm open in the net (here and other sites)

I even always counted how many times I cried after finishing a show and commented here on MAL.

I hide it too, although I only cried like 2 times if I remember correctly.
Jun 21, 2017 12:21 AM
Jul 2018
I never deny MANly tears because that would be the least MANly thing there is.
Jun 21, 2017 12:23 AM

Aug 2010
Darek said:

So crying over pokemon is manly? I fucking hate Kirino omg
Jun 21, 2017 12:32 AM
Jul 2018
oryouohagi said:
Darek said:

yes it is, more manly then constantly trying to reject anything gay, contantly trying to prove your manliness and so on.
Jun 21, 2017 12:38 AM

Sep 2016
oryouohagi said:
Sometimes, peeps like to act though and deny when something makes them cry?
Do you deny it?
Do you deny it on certain forms of communication only? E.g. real life, MAL, or some other forum?

If you do, why do you deny it?
If you don't deny it, don't you feel ashamed of yourself? (jokes aside)

Do you deny it?
Nope

Do you deny it on certain forms of communication only? E.g. real life, MAL, or some other forum?
Again, Nope

If you do, why do you deny it?
N/A

If you don't deny it, don't you feel ashamed of yourself?
Not at all. I'm secure enough in my Manhood that I don't feel a need to deny crying.

(Since this is an anime forum)
When an anime is strong with "the feels", I'll probably have a good cry.
If I'm describing that anime to a friend I think might like that show, I'll freely admit if it made me cry.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Jun 21, 2017 12:49 AM

Aug 2010
Darek said:
oryouohagi said:

yes it is, more manly then constantly trying to reject anything gay, contantly trying to prove your manliness and so on.

No one said crying was a gay thing? What poeple who deny crying are afraid of is being called a "pussy" or a "she-man" or "childish" or "beta", you don't have to put everything on homophobia you know.
Most gay people are manlier than we could ever be honestly.
Jun 21, 2017 2:17 AM
May 2017
Even though my friend is a douche whenever I mention it I never deny not crying to an anime
Jun 21, 2017 2:41 AM
Jul 2018
oryouohagi said:

No one said crying was a gay thing? What poeple who deny crying are afraid of is being called a "pussy" or a "she-man" or "childish" or "beta", you don't have to put everything on homophobia you know.
and neither did I, learn how to read.
Jun 21, 2017 2:53 AM

Aug 2010
Darek said:
oryouohagi said:

I hate people who say dumb shit, then try to justify it by playing around with the syntax.

Jun 21, 2017 2:59 AM
Jul 2018
@oryouohagi and?

I know what i said, I just used it as an example, never stated it was connected, try again.
Jun 21, 2017 3:02 AM

Aug 2010
Darek said:
@oryouohagi and?

I know what i said, I just used it as an example, never stated it was connected, try again.

Yup, no need arguing with someone, who brings up gays for example, then lacks the balls to follow through with it.
Jun 21, 2017 3:03 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
oryouohagi said:
Darek said:

I hate people who say dumb shit, then try to justify it by playing around with the syntax.

Idk, when I'm reading over that post I get the idea that he's using gay pretty much in the same sense that you're using these words

oryouohagi said:

What poeple who deny crying are afraid of is being called a "pussy" or a "she-man" or "childish" or "beta", you don't have to put everything on homophobia you know.

Not that sexuality is literally connected to whether or not somebody will cry and admit it, it's that people who deny it are afraid of being called a "pussy," a "she-man," or "childish" or "beta"...or "gay"

I can't really speak for him though, but it does kind of feel like you're reading this the wrong way

Jun 21, 2017 3:06 AM
Jul 2018
Manaban said:
oryouohagi said:

Idk, when I'm reading over that post I get the idea that he's using gay pretty much in the same sense that you're using these words

oryouohagi said:

What poeple who deny crying are afraid of is being called a "pussy" or a "she-man" or "childish" or "beta", you don't have to put everything on homophobia you know.

I am

@oryouohagi again, not my fault you can't read, you are clearly salty about something, I cannot for shit figure out what about tho.

EDIT: tho I guess from my pov, there is not much of a point in arguing with someone who uses filthy frank memes either.
removed-userJun 21, 2017 3:51 AM
Jun 21, 2017 3:07 AM

Jun 2016
People need to stop seeing 'crying' as a sign of weakness. And yeah I'm not ashamed of saying that I cried while watching anime.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 21, 2017 3:11 AM

Feb 2013
Sure thing, I mean, if it makes me cry then it's good shit in my criteria. I don't have problems admitting I can't handle too much drama and romance because it makes me cry a lot.

Jun 21, 2017 3:13 AM

Nov 2015
jinheanime34 said:
Guys do,

Girls don't

Why? cause guys don't like to be seen weak

no offense...

Crying doesn't make you weak.

What makes you weak is having no sympathy and lack of morals and what is just.

Guys cry becuase they know when something is not right which makes them strong.

Girls don't becuase they lack sympathy and morals.

Look at human females today always spoiled and getting pictures of themselves, guys chasing them becuase of thier desires.

And human females become more and more spoiled.

Its that simple.
Near is far superior to you!

Jun 21, 2017 3:19 AM
Jul 2018
If it gives me the feels it gives me the feels. No point in lying to myself.
Jun 21, 2017 4:34 AM

May 2017
Yeah, I do. I'm very open about it. I'm no guy so I don't need to act tough, I guess.

"We're all human. We all make mistakes sometimes.
Just don't make mistakes when lives are at stake."
~ Great-Grandmother Mikage, Gin no Saji

Jun 21, 2017 4:53 AM

Feb 2016
Well, I've never cried over an anime... but if I did I wouldn't deny it. Not really any real reason to.

If the anime managed to make me cry, I think that would be a good showcasing of a solid anime that was able to deliver a solid ride and follow up with a striking end.

Which... I guess has happened but I generally don't get that attached to the characters so even when the strike happens, it doesn't make me cry. Sometimes I just feel bad for (insert character here) or wonder about the story development or rarely a bit sad, but that's about it thus far.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Jun 21, 2017 5:02 AM

Dec 2015
Not really, just as I don't hide from anyone that I watch anime, I also don't hide when an anime makes me cry, because it's natural and there's nothing to be shy or ashamed of.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 21, 2017 5:25 AM
Nov 2016
Nope, I don't care.
I cried to Your lie in April and Akame ga Kill.

Jun 21, 2017 5:53 AM

Dec 2008
Do I admit it? Of course.

Anyone who's been to the movies with me can attest that I cry very easily when entertainment such as movies, tv shows, anime is involved. It gets unnerving when my friend just turns and stares at me during the movie. I do sometimes pretend I'm just scratching my eyes or stretching though because I don't feel like having people around me going "Awwwww cuuuuutee, she's crying!" since it sounds more condescending than adorable.

A lot of anime have legitimately made me cry though, more so than just a few tears. One of them being Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, where I cried so much my lungs began to hurt at the time >.>

That was, errrr 3-4 years ago. I don't think any anime has affected me that much in more recent years. Not that I can recall at the moment anyways.
Jun 21, 2017 6:32 AM

Aug 2015

If you say you don't, congratulations on passing the "tsundere" test.
NoobAsianJun 21, 2017 6:38 AM
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Jun 21, 2017 6:36 AM

Jan 2010
Tch guys and their pride I swear. Why it is such a big deal if you cry over a show? It's not unmanly nor pussy if a man cry. It's just proof that he is a honest and compassionate man with a soft kind heart which is a plus in my book (and any other female too I'm sure)
Jun 21, 2017 6:39 AM

Oct 2015
I cry quite regularly over anime and I'm not ashamed of it.
Jun 21, 2017 6:45 AM

Aug 2010
Shicchi said:
Tch guys and their pride I swear. Why it is such a big deal if you cry over a show? It's not unmanly nor pussy if a man cry. It's just proof that he is a honest and compassionate man with a soft kind heart which is a plus in my book (and any other female too I'm sure)

But society will still label us as follows:
-weak
-pussy
-childish
-overly sensitive

And nothing good comes from being labeled, to be honest.
Jun 21, 2017 7:08 AM

Nov 2011
Nah- my friends definitely know when an anime makes me cry because I talk to them about it for hours on end. No one was spared after I watched wolf children.

Jun 21, 2017 7:13 AM

Jan 2010
oryouohagi said:
Shicchi said:

But society will still label us as follows:
-weak
-pussy
-childish
-overly sensitive

And nothing good comes from being labeled, to be honest.

Sadly you're right. It sucks. But, still, I appreciate a honest guy more that doesn't listen to society demands. It's hard. Believe me I know, so I can't blame you tbh.
I just wanted to say it's ok to let go and cry once in a while regardless of gender :)
Jun 21, 2017 7:26 AM
Aug 2011
oryouohagi said:
sakamoto-kun said:
When it comes to anime I'm a big crybaby, the anime doesn't even need to be sad.I cried at stuff like Hajime no Ippo, Bakuman, Kuroko no Basket, Haikyuu, Aria etc.. And I don't feel ashamed at all.

Didn't we all cry tears of joy, when they finally ended up together? (not specifiying because of them spoilers)
ElYazan said:
for me, if an anime is sad enough to make me tear up, I never hide it... but yea id never cry in front of anyone thatd be embarrassing.

Right? I mean, how would you look in their eyes after doing that?
vegeta8639 said:
No I don't deny it but it rarely happens anyway. Why should I feel ashamed? Sadness is a human emotion and if the anime (or whatever other medium) was able to instill such strong emotion, obviously they did something right.

But usually I just get angry instead. Last time I cried while watching an anime was like 2 years ago when I was watching LoGH. It's usually when a character that's been around for a long time dies and it's done well that it gets to me that much.
I still wasn't bawling my eyes out but a few tears were shed.

Well, even if you don't feel embarassed about crying, people will call you a pussy all the same, so...
Red_Ryu12345 said:
Chirin no Suzu made me cry when I first watched it and it still makes me tear up a bit.

Same with Wolf Children.

School days made me cry of laughter.

School days made me have disturbed dreams as I watched it when I was 12 years old...

But that "goodbye* and that empty inside and that nice boat. And they were happily ever after on that boat!
Jun 21, 2017 11:22 AM

Jul 2016
Well of course I wouldn't tell people I cried at certain shows not because I'm really ashamed but because now I don't find that stuff worthy to cry over. I've not been watching anime that long even! It's kinda funny how much my taste has changed in a short time but I don't tell people what shows I've cried at but if someone asked me I'd only tell them the stuff I find worthy at crying at
Jun 21, 2017 11:33 AM

Aug 2016
When i tell people I cry when I watch anime, it's usually because it's really good orrrr really cringey. Either way I point it out after anyways.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Jun 21, 2017 11:47 AM

Feb 2016
Yes I do. People I talk to already know that, as a straight 24 year old male, I watch mostly romance anime. I'm a softy and I make no attempts to hide it. This includes admitting that I occasionally succumb to the feels.
--- + ---
"Random quotes in signatures are like friends. Everyone seems to have them, except me."
Sun Tzu, probably

Jun 21, 2017 11:48 AM

Jun 2017
If it makes me cry then that just shows it's a good show and that I can use me crying as a reason to recommend it.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

39 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 minutes ago

1 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

228 by KeyiOs »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 17 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 47 minutes ago

3 by NubFix »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.