Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 26, 2017 6:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, I felt bad for Schierke this episode especially after what she witnessed. I just want to give her a hug ;_;

Guts also faces a powerful adversary that imo could be one of his toughest challenges yet. The episode had a thrilling feel to it tbh.
I don't think Guts was prepared enough.
TyrelJul 24, 2017 8:03 PM
May 26, 2017 8:00 AM

Aug 2015
I see Isidro is mastering the Sonic and the Black Knight style of swordsmanship.
May 26, 2017 8:14 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again.

Felt so sad for Schierke, I just couldn't listen to the poor girl cry over the death of her mentor with a straight face. :(

Some hints dropped in this episode, Skull Knight knows Zodd from the past and they seem to have been friends.

Berserkers Armor is here, Hell yeah! Next episode is gonna be so epic. Release the angry demon within!

Did anyone else think that the CG model for Zodd looked really awkward compared to the others?
May 26, 2017 8:57 AM

May 2010
absolutely disgusting animation quality for 90% of the episode. those close ups of zodd and some of the apostles..ugh!

the actual berserker armor part didnt look that bad compared to the rest..
May 26, 2017 9:37 AM

Aug 2016
Everything from the lip syncing to the action scenes was awfully animated, especially compared to the last few episodes which were pretty good. Zodd's lips didn't even move in a scene and as far as I know he can't use thought transference.

Everything happens too suddenly and because of that you can't really worry for Guts' team and don't feel that sad when Flora accepts her fate.(or I'm just biased because I've read the manga and the pacing was much better in it)

Well, at least the Berserker armor looks good. So good that it looks like they had to sacrifice all the other scenes for it.
May 26, 2017 9:58 AM

Jun 2015
Animation issues aside it was a pretty good episode. I just feel like the armor transformation happened a bit too soon. Didn't Guts fight a while in skull form before changing to batman form in the manga?
May 26, 2017 9:58 AM
Apr 2016
AnotherGuy said:
Animation issues aside it was a pretty good episode. I just feel like the armor transformation happened a bit too soon. Didn't Guts fight a while in skull form before changing to batman form in the manga?

I read the manga and watch the anime at the same time. It's the same pacing as in the manga, everything is down page per page, panel per panel & bubble per bubble. They did not left out anything, nor did they add anything. Some people stay on a page for 10 seconds, others for 2 minutes, then indeed the pacing will be different for each reader. hahaha

But even I have to say, 99% of the whole episode was barelly animated at all, that even I was shocked.

Neveretless, it's Berserk and thats all that matters here.
I'm more worried about the next episode which will seem to be a filler recaping the previous episodes. Godd damn.
3-RDMay 26, 2017 10:05 AM
May 26, 2017 10:05 AM

Nov 2014

Some caps to go with the end of the episode
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
May 26, 2017 10:10 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
the new armors seems a "black dog" or similar :/
May 26, 2017 10:24 AM

Jul 2014
Bit of a messy episode until the end, but this Berserker armour already seems ridiculously awesome, even from what little we've seen of it so far. Let's hope next week is a bit higher budget to do this armour as much justice as I can feel it deserves.
May 26, 2017 10:25 AM
Apr 2016
caps are good, gifs are better

May 26, 2017 10:51 AM

Apr 2010
I'm impressed that the animation actually managed to get worse.
May 26, 2017 10:53 AM
May 2017
Only 2min per ep!!:(
May 26, 2017 12:07 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
As always the violent magnificence of the story makes up for the lack of animation. At least we got a bit a more 2d stuff to compensate for the CG mess at times.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 26, 2017 12:10 PM

Sep 2016
color coded subtitle make this episode better, I'll never watch berserk from horriblesubs again lol
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
May 26, 2017 12:42 PM

Oct 2011
hmm is the next episode a recap from Scherike point of view?
May 26, 2017 12:50 PM

Feb 2014
I have nothing against CGI, but the animation of this episode was terrible.
May 26, 2017 1:09 PM

Jan 2015
I never new this show could hit this level of bad animation but i am amazed. The level of animation here can only be surpassed by Mars of destruction.
May 26, 2017 1:10 PM

Jan 2017
This episode had its issues in terms of the animation but it was still a very enjoyable episode. The Berserker armor looks great. It doesn't look like we'll be getting much action next week if any at all.
May 26, 2017 1:34 PM
Sep 2016
I really enjoyed this episode despite some of the bad animation. The CG for Zod's transformation wasn't very good, but I think they did a really good job with the transformation for the Berserker Armour's helm. It was a really cool scene, if only they had a bigger budget so that it could've all been hand-drawn instead, but oh well it is what it is. Great episode overall.
May 26, 2017 1:39 PM

Feb 2013
The berserker armor is here!
May 26, 2017 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
Of all the bloody episodes they chose this one to destroy with horrid animation...
May 26, 2017 2:07 PM

Jun 2014
Yeah the animation for this episode did look pretty damn bad. The last part with the Berserker armor looked pretty cool though.

Why does the preview for next week give me a bad feeling that the next episode will be a recap. It didn't look like there was any new footage, plus the title is "The Witch's Recollection." Well I'm not super attached to this show so I wouldn't really care, especially if it means they'll have extra time to make sure the rest of the action doesn't look like this episode.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 26, 2017 2:16 PM
Nov 2016
It was a pretty good episode, but the animation could be better and I don't really like the soundtrack when he wears the armor.

Berserker armor is finally here! Can't wait to see it in action!
XtrStrMay 26, 2017 2:27 PM
May 26, 2017 3:44 PM
Apr 2016
Clymenus said:
Of all the bloody episodes they chose this one to destroy with horrid animation...

I know right, this episode was awesome when done in the manga but here it looks completely shit, even though there was meant to be a ton of cool fights going on.

And that fire was horrible, when compared to some of the previous episodes too.
Phosphophyllite is best gem
May 26, 2017 4:48 PM
Aug 2016
God that animation was just so bad. Ugh. It's goddamn CG--isn't that supposed to make it easier? When walking back to the mansion, what's with guts entire body awkwardly bobbing up and down? Even if I know it's supposed to represent walking, it looked nothing like walking... It looked like a video game bug or something!

And to top it all off, we barely got any berserker armor action... ugh.

Plus, people keep saying next week will probably be a recap... Which is so annoying because I love that armor!!
May 26, 2017 4:49 PM

Apr 2010
thebrentinator24 said:
Yeah the animation for this episode did look pretty damn bad. The last part with the Berserker armor looked pretty cool though.

Why does the preview for next week give me a bad feeling that the next episode will be a recap. It didn't look like there was any new footage, plus the title is "The Witch's Recollection." Well I'm not super attached to this show so I wouldn't really care, especially if it means they'll have extra time to make sure the rest of the action doesn't look like this episode.

It's not a recap. Well, technically they could release a recap episode next week, but "the witch" doing something that involves seeing a certain person's memories is part of the story.
May 26, 2017 4:52 PM

Jun 2014
antonn said:
thebrentinator24 said:

It's not a recap. Well, technically they could release a recap episode next week, but "the witch" doing something that involves seeing a certain person's memories is part of the story.

Ok cool. I didn't see any new footage (I expected to see at least one shot of Guts in the Berserker armor) so I was skeptical.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 26, 2017 5:37 PM
Apr 2015
yodanero yodanero !! wow ! the berserker is here !!
felt bad for shierke in the other hand ! emotional moment !
May 26, 2017 5:38 PM

May 2015
That cliffhanger. Quite the awesome-looking armor.

Decent episode.

May 26, 2017 6:20 PM

Feb 2010
I find it weird how this Grunbeld can act so high and mighty with Guts. The guy just killed countless trolls, an ogre, fought one of the god hand, lost his armor and barely had time to recover while the other is just fresh for battle and asking for a "duel" out of freaking nowhere, even calling Guts a weakling even though he is the one who accepted Apostle powers (and wearing full body armor with a cannon shield to boost). Very twisted situation.
PC14106May 26, 2017 6:24 PM
May 26, 2017 6:33 PM

Jun 2015
As everybody's pointed out, the animation this episode was quite lacklustre, it felt like they were finally getting the CG to be decent, and then it all went downhill this episode. ._. The final few minutes with the Berserker armor though did look quite nice.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
May 26, 2017 6:53 PM
Jul 2011
I think calling the animation "quite lacklustre" is downplaying it to say the least. It was absolutely, mind-blowingly terrible during several points of the episode. Lips were wrong half the time, characters didn't move their mouths to speak a bunch, apostle transformations weren't even animated they were just phased into each other, several scenes of guts moving were comical at best tragic at worst, etc. This was easily the worst animation I've personally ever seen in an anime, at least in recent years.

That problem aside, though... I still liked the episode, as much as we can like these anyway. As shit as the animation is a lot of the time, the *music*, at least, keeps delivering.

Minami-Nan said:
I find it weird how this Grunbeld can act so high and mighty with Guts. The guy just killed countless trolls, an ogre, fought one of the god hand, lost his armor and barely had time to recover while the other is just fresh for battle and asking for a "duel" out of freaking nowhere, even calling Guts a weakling even though he is the one who accepted Apostle powers (and wearing full body armor with a cannon shield to boost). Very twisted situation.

Grunbeld doesn't know that. From his perspective, Guts just showed up to a fight just to get his ass kicked.
May 26, 2017 7:02 PM

Dec 2012
What the hell was with Isidoro rolling around at the start. That was funny.

Sad seeing Schierke cry over Flora.
Guts is taking a beating from Grunbeld.

Berserker Armor is finally here. Been waiting for this. That still frame looks awesome.
These apostles got no chance.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

May 26, 2017 7:05 PM
Jul 2018
soooo excited with this episode, cant wait to see his flipping slash against grunbeld!
May 26, 2017 8:14 PM

Apr 2012
I really haven't minded the animation this season but it seemed they ran out of budget on this one
May 26, 2017 9:15 PM

Nov 2011
I like Artorias, Sulyvahn's beast and Slave Knight Gael from Dark Souls, especially the fact that they are all based on Berserker Armor/beast of darkness. This only increased my hype only to be crushed by this ep.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
May 26, 2017 10:23 PM

Feb 2010
Cattlehunter said:

Grunbeld doesn't know that. From his perspective, Guts just showed up to a fight just to get his ass kicked.

Well, Guts looked pretty exhausted with wounds, bandages all over and limping with his sword. And armorless. It doesn't take a genius to see that Guts wasn't in a good condition to fight. I am fairly sure Grunbeld knows the guy can do better knowing he fought with Zodd to a stalemate and yet still asked for a duel to express disappointment later. He's a mousquetaire fraud.
May 26, 2017 11:15 PM
May 2017
The animation as usual is terrible and it is really annoying that the movements are so sloppy. Better than nothing though and at least the armor looks so BADASS !!!! unlike the rest of the scenes.
May 27, 2017 12:23 AM

Mar 2016
Probably the worst episode animation-wise to compensate for story-line.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
May 27, 2017 5:10 AM

Jan 2013
Zodd smashing that demon's head was one of the worst anime scenes I had ever seen. Just plain bad
May 27, 2017 6:18 AM
Apr 2017
rvbrick said:
Honestly not sure why everyone hated the animation so much. Yeah there were one or two comically terrible moments, but nothing as bad as the first CG series.

Are you sure? One or Two? Look at all this shit animation( and there's more ) . Worst episode so far asides Berserk armor.
https://a.pomf.cat/lmyfjl.gif
https://a.pomf.cat/hrdwsz.web
https://a.pomf.cat/fsmwss.webm
https://a.pomf.cat/ygayyb.webm
https://a.pomf.cat/rnquco.webm
May 27, 2017 7:46 AM
Jul 2015
The very ending saved the episode. The animation was acceptable till last week and before that, but this week's episode was dreadful.
May 27, 2017 7:48 AM

Feb 2016
Anyone who knows the name of the song they played when Guts fought int the berserk armor?

May 27, 2017 9:13 AM

Oct 2014
aliinetje said:
Anyone who knows the name of the song they played when Guts fought int the berserk armor?
"Ash crow" i believe.
May 27, 2017 9:16 AM
Jun 2014
Great episode, but really bad animation
May 27, 2017 11:00 AM

May 2015
I usually don't complain about animation, but the animation in this episode was bad. Horribly bad. Man, the situation in Japan must be really horrible if the next episode is a recap Of some sort...

That aside, Grunbeld is fucking huge compared to Guts. Skull Knight was on a horse and Grumbeld could still look at him at eye level.
May 27, 2017 11:10 AM

Feb 2016
Sebasthearcher said:
"Ash crow" i believe.

I found it, thank you ^^

May 27, 2017 11:42 AM

Oct 2016
Well, the animation team is clearly facing some serious time/budget restraints. The CG is horrible most likely because they hadn't much time to do it better. If the next episode is indeed a recap, then it sums up to the theory. After all, the anime studios in general only do recaps when there's little to no time to craft a new episode in time.

Too bad this show has to suffer to these conditions when the animation itself isn't even that good.
May 27, 2017 11:46 AM

Mar 2016
Wow! The Skull Knight squaring off with Zodd and Guts finally gets the Berserker Armor! Great episode and I can't wait to see what Guts can do in that armor!
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2017

85 by Revanant1999 »»
Jan 25, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Jan 20, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Nov 5, 2023 2:08 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2017

102 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 18, 2023 1:02 AM

» 3rd season?

Arddaa52 - Jul 5, 2021

19 by Amirsalar88 »»
Jul 15, 2023 9:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.