Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 28, 2017 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I almost forgot how cool and powerful magic can be in this show.

Well for what's worth, it's nice to see some development of its world setting. Speaking of which, the action returns soon in Berserk fashion just the way I like it. Skull Knight is a a pleasant sight for the eye.
TyrelJul 24, 2017 8:02 PM
Apr 28, 2017 8:23 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode, I love how there was some 2D animation in the middle, if only there was more of it.

Puck chilling out in the ladies bath. XDD

Anyway, this was one of my favorite parts in the manga and I'm glad they adapted it well. The episode shows how deep and intricate the fantasy world of Berserk is and how these fantasy elements begin to exist in the first place. I've always loved how the series explains how every phenomenon and supernatural entity that exists in the world correlates with the Spirit realm and the belief of people.

Serpico and Isidoro's new weapons are awesome, Guts is too cool to be using magic weaponry. XD

Schierke finally joins the squad. :D
Skull Knight appearance at the end and it's revealed that it's he who wanted wanted the Witch of the forest to help out Guts.

Time to wreck some Trolls.
Apr 28, 2017 8:27 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The animation is still distracting as hell (I still cringe when some characters open their mouth to speak) but they are doing a good job respecting the story and keeping true to the manga. I really like this part. It's one big info dump, but after years hacking through the opposition, Guts needed to get some info to power up.

Puck in the bath scene was hilarious, but my favourite bit is always the Skeleton Knight showing up.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 28, 2017 8:38 AM

Jul 2008
Next episode we'll see the new magic weapons in action ;) So time for work!

If I recall right, things have been layed out just like they were in the manga so props for that too.

Apr 28, 2017 9:05 AM

Sep 2016
party = COMPLETE!
elemental weapon = GET!
new quest: help the villagers = ACCEPTED!

we retro jrpg now, just waiting for the boat
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 28, 2017 9:07 AM

May 2009
I enjoyed this episode. Directing seemed better than previous ones. Looking forward to next one.

Hai yo!
Apr 28, 2017 9:43 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
a relax day in the witch house, and new weapons to kill the enemies!!
Skeleton Knight, nice "soul"!!! ;)
Apr 28, 2017 9:45 AM

Jun 2014
Interesting information provided in this episode, and some new weapons were obtained. Guts is too cool for that shit, all he needs is that big ass sword. Time to kick some ass next week, it's probably going to look like shit but I've accepted this abysmal animation at this point (although it's been looking better lately). I hate it when they tease us with 2D animation here and there, if only the whole show looked that way.....
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 28, 2017 9:54 AM

Jul 2014
Lots and lots of exposition this episode, but I can live with it as a transitional episode before the big battle with the trolls at least. Seeing the Skull Knight again as well, even if only briefly, was pretty cool, though I'm wondering if he'll ever again actively help them out like near the end of the previous season.
Apr 28, 2017 9:57 AM

Jun 2015
Good episode overall. Pacing was good, glad to see they're not rushing with the story as it seemed from the first episodes. Staying true to the manga too, at least so far.

Also a heads up, the manga's out!
Apr 28, 2017 10:05 AM

Sep 2015

anyway i like s2 so far. bad animation, but it's berserk...
Nigami_ShinApr 28, 2017 10:27 PM

Apr 28, 2017 10:58 AM
Aug 2014
the DVD/BR better have dem nipples drawn.
Apr 28, 2017 11:01 AM

Feb 2013
They got cool magic weapons, all except Guts of course.
Apr 28, 2017 12:35 PM

Dec 2015
Nice episode. Reminded me of LotR where the party got stuff from Galadriel. Next episode seems to be some nice action and fights (with the new equipment) against those trolls.
Apr 28, 2017 1:07 PM
Nov 2016
It was a nice and calming episode. I don't know why, but I love it when the story takes a break from the actions and tragedies once in a while. Looking forward for the battle next week!
Apr 28, 2017 1:26 PM

Mar 2016
Such a great episode that is a major transition point in the story! Just like the Berserk world changed at the eclipse with the introduction of darkness the world has changed again with the introduction of magic! No real action this episode but they did a great job explaining the complexities of the different realms and gave slightly more depth to the Gods Hand and things of that nature. I'm glad to see the anime stay true to the manga and now this anime is starting to shine as a true representation of why so many people love the world of Berserk! Can't wait to see everyone fight together in the nex episode
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Apr 28, 2017 4:31 PM

Apr 2010
Nigami_Shin said:
actually i thought guts gets the berserk armor and fights griffiths generals in this episode. totally forgot that village part with the trolls

anyway i like s2 so far. bad animation, but it's berserk...

Wow nice spoiler, thanks!
Apr 28, 2017 4:52 PM

May 2015
Well, guess the information given was useful, but the episode was boring as hell despite that.

Also, the god awful CG of the trolls reaches a whole other level of ugliness too.

Apr 28, 2017 6:44 PM

Apr 2010
Surprised they didn't completely cut the info dump.
Apr 28, 2017 7:36 PM

Dec 2012
Good episode. Lots of info on the Spirit Realm.
Puck is hilarious.

Cool to see Schierke join the team. Her magic is gonna come in handy.
Nice upgrades.

Always great to see the Skull Knight.
Team Guts ready to kill some trolls.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Apr 28, 2017 8:00 PM

Jun 2010
It's amazing how this anime can go from complete garbage fire quality from one episode into easily the best composed episode has done in its entire run. The slower pace worked wonders for not only delivering the info dump on how the different planes of existence operate but for making the show flow better from scene to scene and just feel like it's trying to engage the viewer. Shame it's probably not going to stay like this. Overall this episode's a 5/5 (even if there were a couple of animation goofs, like Gut's boots disappearing between shots).

Lots of action to look forward to in the next episodes and surprisingly the animation from the preview looked shockingly well animated for this show's standards. Berserk (2017) might not be a lost cause just yet.
Apr 28, 2017 10:26 PM

Sep 2015
LukaPochi said:

sry. i thought only manga readers are interested in watching this cgi shitfest

well at least now you can look forward to something :D

Apr 29, 2017 5:35 AM

May 2012
Nigami_Shin said:
LukaPochi said:

I'm anime only watcher, and I enjoying berserk more than most of the anime airing in this season
Apr 29, 2017 5:43 AM

Aug 2015
yooooo this pacing is seems rushed to me
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2017 7:50 AM
Oct 2007
Another build-up episode but I kind of enjoy some of the explanations this week!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2017 10:51 AM

Oct 2016
So I guess anime-only watchers won't get who is the "some man" Guts got his grey Behelit from.
Apr 29, 2017 1:07 PM
Dec 2014
Nigami_Shin said:
LukaPochi said:

Wow, way to act like douche, bro.. Why do you even crawl this discussion then?

Apr 29, 2017 4:44 PM

Mar 2009
luizcourret said:
So I guess anime-only watchers won't get who is the "some man" Guts got his grey Behelit from.
You could watch the old series to get your answer.
Apr 29, 2017 4:57 PM

Oct 2016
Vudis said:
luizcourret said:

The Count features in the old series? I seriously don't remember, lol it's been too long
Apr 29, 2017 5:02 PM

Mar 2009
luizcourret said:
Vudis said:

The Count features in the old series? I seriously don't remember, lol it's been too long
In the first episode. It starts the same way as Berserk 2016 with the fight in that bar, except in the old series they didnt cut out the count fight and how he obtained the behelith.
Apr 29, 2017 5:48 PM

Oct 2016
Vudis said:
luizcourret said:

In the first episode. It starts the same way as Berserk 2016 with the fight in that bar, except in the old series they didnt cut out the count fight and how he obtained the behelith.

Well, it's alright then. Although I don't suppose anime-only watchers will watch the 1997 show, maybe just the movie trilogy.
Apr 29, 2017 7:27 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode for story development.

Also liked that less CG was used than other episodes.
Apr 29, 2017 11:50 PM

Dec 2013
A massive amount of information in this episode which I enjoyed.

Elementals look pretty in the anime
Apr 30, 2017 4:02 AM

Jul 2009
Guts was really handsome in this episode.
Apr 30, 2017 4:54 AM

Oct 2008
This episode is pure info dump but which it not bad at all!
OMG! why does Casca & Farnese don't have nipples and pu$$ies!???
COOL! they all have been equipped by Elemental weapons both Serpico & Isidro and even Casca & Farnese! Guts still stick to his own CLANG equip! Shierke, we thank you a lot!!!
WOW! the Dark Skeleton Knight appeared after Guts and Co. left! that was surprisingly cool!
Team Gutz would be a great help to Morgan's village!
5/5.

Apr 30, 2017 8:52 AM

Oct 2016
Berserk suddenly became a magical anime... lol

That feather sword was awesome though! They finally got a Mage in their party

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

May 1, 2017 3:09 AM
Nov 2011
My favorite episode so far, along with episode 3, no, probably even more so. It was also a great moment in the manga.

Lelouch0202 said:
Great episode, I love how there was some 2D animation in the middle, if only there was more of it.

Anyway, this was one of my favorite parts in the manga and I'm glad they adapted it well. The episode shows how deep and intricate the fantasy world of Berserk is and how these fantasy elements begin to exist in the first place. I've always loved how the series explains how every phenomenon and supernatural entity that exists in the world correlates with the Spirit realm and the belief of people.

Serpico and Isidoro's new weapons are awesome, Guts is too cool to be using magic weaponry. XD

Skull Knight appearance at the end and it's revealed that it's he who wanted wanted the Witch of the forest to help out Guts.

Good post. This always begged the question to me: do the supernatural creatures in Berserk exist because people superstitiously believed them (and somehow that belief manifested in some form of reality)? Or are the beliefs a matter of fact, a result of observations of them actually and always existing?

And please, if anyone else who has read the manga and is to venture in these thoughts, if you talk about the IoE, put it in spoilers please.
May 1, 2017 5:16 AM

Dec 2014
Fate_Archer said:
My favorite episode so far, along with episode 3, no, probably even more so. It was also a great moment in the manga.

Lelouch0202 said:

Good post. This always begged the question to me: do the supernatural creatures in Berserk exist because people superstitiously believed them (and somehow that belief manifested in some form of reality)? Or are the beliefs a matter of fact, a result of observations of them actually and always existing?

And please, if anyone else who has read the manga and is to venture in these thoughts, if you talk about the IoE, put it in spoilers please.

I believe it's something similar to the latter. The creatures have always existed but the perception of these creatures is what changed through time. People believed in them long ago and thus they were able to perceive them in reality, through the ages this belief slowly declined and they became nothing more than folklore and hence humans were unable to perceive these creatures anymore. Children seem much more likely to believe in their existence and hence why they sometimes perceive them, like with the old man this episode seeing the Witch's house when he was kid.
May 1, 2017 11:51 PM
Nov 2011
Yup. It's how I tend to interpret as well.
May 8, 2017 4:39 AM

Jul 2008
TIme to mess up some trolls.
May 20, 2017 3:56 PM

Feb 2013
Info dump. But they got some magic weapons out of it.
Jun 12, 2017 6:02 PM

Mar 2010
Was pretty good, IDK I feel like they are hyping it up but I like the feeling.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 20, 2017 9:56 AM

May 2012
Good buildup for the next episodes I must say! Looking forwards to see what's next.
Dec 20, 2017 5:20 AM

Mar 2015
Nice buildup episode, I like what could be coming next!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 27, 2018 6:29 PM
Mar 2016
That was quite an exposition dump. I wish they'd rein in the characters constantly turning chibi.
UKParallaxApr 28, 2018 6:16 PM
Dec 16, 2018 2:30 PM

Apr 2014
Gotta love post-credit scenes. Yuck.
Mar 18, 2019 3:25 AM

May 2016
I have to say that I really enjoyed the parts where Schierke bestowed the elemental spirit gear to the team because the presentation was pretty much straight out of the manga. The info dump about the concept of the interstice, mages, and the Brand of Sacrifice was done in a way that didn't drag out at all. Of course, I liked seeing Farny and Casca bathing in full color as well.

Magic's nothing to scoff at, that's for sure.

Dec 4, 2019 9:45 AM
May 2019
Probably my favourite episode so far. It's slow-paced and relaxing as well as explaining a lot.
Jun 21, 2021 4:29 PM

Apr 2012
Oh Shierke saw Sonia, I mean, of course she would see her.

I like how the show went other the concepts of realms, otherworldly creatures and behelit again. It's quite sad in a way that the world of the dead seemed to have a such a complex structure because I can imagine Guts spending a long time travelling through it. Can't imagine Miura just making him warp to the God Hand without meaningful trials and/or growth.

This is also why I don't get reincarnating Grif, as it will make Guts spend even more time in the physical world. Even Oda with 20 years barely managed to finish, but for non-concessionnal Miura it would have been impossible without destroying his original way of working.

The way the things are set now, Grif will get beaten before the other four fingers, but then what? Guts will just venture to the end of the spirit world to face god even though he's technically avenged? In my mind the original plan has always been: beat the four fingers, beat Grif, then make the fate deity acknowledge his will. Full aftermaths like good end/bad end are not even necessary, Berserk isn't about saving the kingdom or your existence.

I guess Miura just wanted to draw Grif again.

In the end the fucking man just wanted to draw.
Sep 14, 2021 5:25 PM

Dec 2018
finally some exposition and world building, great episode
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2017

85 by Revanant1999 »»
Jan 25, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Jan 20, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Nov 5, 2023 2:08 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2017

102 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 18, 2023 1:02 AM

» 3rd season?

Arddaa52 - Jul 5, 2021

19 by Amirsalar88 »»
Jul 15, 2023 9:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.