Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think anime is already better than Walt Disney or any cartoon?

New
May 11, 2017 10:48 AM
Mar 2017
Japanese animation vs America animation
Anime vs Cartoon
A1 pictures, Kadokawa, Daisuki,...etc vs Walt Disney, DreamWorks, Universal,...etc
Compare achievement
>Anime takes 60% of world animation
>Disney won tons of Oscar awards
So I wonder... Which one is better?
OnlyInTheDepthMay 11, 2017 11:08 AM
May 11, 2017 10:50 AM

Sep 2016
Doesn't matter.Both are good.Both are shit too.

It's an extremely subjective matter. That actually doesn't matter.

(See what I did there, a terrible joke, just like this thread)
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

May 11, 2017 10:51 AM
Mar 2015
For kids/teens I think western cartoons are far better than anime. For adults I think anime is better unless you include animated movies in which case I think western animation is better.

It is completely subjective so this should not matter either way.
May 11, 2017 10:53 AM

Feb 2010
jesus the last anime vs western animation thread isn't even cold yet.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 11, 2017 10:54 AM

May 2012
name an anime better than ed, edd and eddy. I'll wait.
May 11, 2017 10:59 AM

Jan 2016
They are both good.

The end.

May 11, 2017 10:59 AM

Sep 2016
PoeticJustice said:

Mars of destruction.

Try to beat that.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

May 11, 2017 11:02 AM

Dec 2016
I prefer anime tbh, cause of one punch man.
May 11, 2017 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
IMO Disney is better for kids and some shows are better for adolescents and young adults(South Park, Family Guy, Archer).

But narrative based anime takes the cake and it's geared towards mature teens and young adults. Problem is some in the anime community are so immature it really makes it look bad by comparison.

If you want my honest opinion though anime is far better.
May 11, 2017 11:10 AM

Apr 2015
Oh boy, it's time for the weekly installment of this thread.

I will say what I always say: that's too broad. There are great anime that are better then shitty cartoons, and great cartoons that are better then shitty anime.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 11, 2017 11:12 AM

Feb 2013
anime is obviously better >_>

some people actually like noses and lips like wtf
May 11, 2017 11:12 AM

Aug 2016
Better than Walt Disney? yes.
Better than kid cartoons? yes

Better than adult comedy cartoons? no. I value both (cop out answer). When it comes down to choosing the best of the best, I'll stick with South Park over the best of what anime has to offer.

Obviously anime has the better sample size so if we're talking about sheer quantity and quality, anime is better
MechKingKillbotMay 11, 2017 11:15 AM
May 11, 2017 11:34 AM

Jul 2015
Old Disney films are classics that few anime come close to in quality (if any). New Disney however can go suck Miyazaki's dick.
May 11, 2017 11:35 AM

Nov 2015
Of course except Batman TAS or any other Dc content.

Dc is on par with anime.

All of Dc is equal to all of anime, becuase Dc universe is so vast and awsome!
Near is far superior to you!

May 11, 2017 11:37 AM

Aug 2016
gravity falls > japanese cartoons xddd
May 11, 2017 11:38 AM

Aug 2012
Disney because it's more approachable to watch by all ages.
May 11, 2017 11:39 AM

Jul 2015
Anime was always better than garbage western cartoons and will always
May 11, 2017 11:45 AM

Feb 2015
The only thing that really matters is anime is a good source of fappable waifus...

tragedydesu said:

How can you say that if you hate tsundere and hate a series that your ship never sail?
May 11, 2017 11:45 AM

Apr 2016
Pullman said:
jesus the last anime vs western animation thread isn't even cold yet.

Let's hope DrGeroCreation doesn't pop here too. This page will become a battlefield.
May 11, 2017 11:47 AM

Feb 2016
Since Kemono Friends became a thing, anime is superior in every way.
May 11, 2017 11:48 AM

Dec 2015
romagia said:
anime is obviously better >_>

some people actually like noses and lips like wtf

Yeah noses and lips are gross, that's why I pick up girls at the hospital's burn ward.
May 11, 2017 11:51 AM

Apr 2016
Between anime and Western cartoons I highly prefer anime. Western cartoon doesn't really offer anything good these days. It doesn't satisfy and/or interest me anymore.

Between anime and Disney/Pixar/DreamWorks ? Disney/Pixar/DreamWorks takes it. But I do like anime movies like any Ghibli movies, Makoto Shinkai movies, Satoshi Kon movies, Ghost in the Shell, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Redline, Hotarubi no Mori e and many more.

Also Disney/Pixar/DW cannot make movies like the ones mentioned above (excluding Ghibli). They can't push through certain boundaries. I mean, even Ghibli has done mature movies like Mononoke-hime and Hotaru no Haka.
May 11, 2017 11:55 AM

Jan 2016
_Ako_ said:
The only thing that really matters is anime is a good source of fappable waifus...

tragedydesu said:

How can you say that if you hate tsundere and hate a series that your ship never sail?

Mulan is still my childhood crush :>

To be honest i have yet to see something that he doesn't hate.

May 11, 2017 11:56 AM

Jul 2015
_Ako_ said:

tragedydesu said:

At least i can ship in anime
In shitty cartoons i can't even ship

Also I believe that someday the best girl will win , so i will continue watching until that day comes
May 11, 2017 12:05 PM

Oct 2010
I know that there is a button out there called "Create new topic", and I know that it's tempting, but really, it's time to stop.
May 11, 2017 12:10 PM

Nov 2016
Both have their fair share of bullshit, but since I'm member in an anime forum and not in one for western animation I would say that I prefer anime. Even though western animation, especially the ones from Disney were a huge part of my childhood and I gladly remember the times back then watching it I'm not into the lastest stuff of them.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 11, 2017 12:12 PM

Aug 2013
Better than Disney but not western cartoons in general.

American Dad>>>>> all anime

Roger>>> all anime characters
Top Cat>>> all anime characters
Daffy >>>> all anime characters

Cartoons= best waifus ever. LIPS, LIPS, LIPS and MORE LIPS

Cartoons= best songs ever

Mickey Mouse 2013 artstyle>>>>>> overrated Shaft artstyle

May 11, 2017 12:16 PM
Feb 2017
DrGeroCreation said:
Better than Disney but not western cartoons in general.

American Dad>>>>> all anime

South Park season 1-5 is funnier than American Dad will ever hope to be.

May 11, 2017 12:22 PM

May 2012
Noesnecesario said:
PoeticJustice said:

Mars of destruction.

Try to beat that.

already beaten fam. rolf has too much power
May 11, 2017 1:10 PM
Jun 2015
Its not a really good comparison because western animation is leagues better than eastern animation. A mediocre western animated film of the last ten years has better animation than anime movies or tv anime. Big Hero Six looks better than any anime.
May 11, 2017 1:22 PM

Jul 2015
Not modern Disney, I can't compare something like Lilo & Stitch , with the weird looking characters, to a good anime. Most of Disney animation is 3D Pixar type of animation nowadays, which is pure kid's stuff! The old Disney, made when Walt Disney was still alive, was very good, just animation classics. Hanna-Barbera cartoons , along with older Bugs Bunny, Betty Boop & Popeye are just classics too and nostalgic. Modern American cartoons, outside a few, are mostly kid's stuff that has limited appeal to anyone older than a tween, The Simpsons has gotten old & tired, Family Guy, I never cared for, and Bob's Burger's is poorly animated.
Anime is just better, I think Walt Disney himself would have appreciated many anime series for their artwork and intriguing stories.
I really liked Josey & The Pussycats. They should have just brought back Archie & Josey cartoons instead of adapting those cartoons into some sort of Beverly Hills 90210 style teen soap! (Riverdale). Those were the cartoons that were much like a modern anime series.
May 11, 2017 1:34 PM

May 2015
It's useless to think about this. Anime has no essence, but is merely defined by being Japanese. Anime's essence is shared with all forms of animation, so it cannot be better than them.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 11, 2017 6:48 PM

Nov 2008

In my weeb phase, I USED to think so.

But like the others said, there is both fantastic and terrible in both types of animation.

Is the best of anime superior to the best the USA has offered to us? Is the worst of anime inferior to the worst the USA has offered to us?

I just find both of these rather difficult to answer. I do think on average, anime is better with giving us complex characters since the best of American animation tend to be movies and don't get the time to develop their protagonists and/or villains all that much....

Noesnecesario said:
PoeticJustice said:

Mars of destruction.

Try to beat that.

KUDOS, I BURST OUT LAUGHING. xD

(both of these are bad, imho)

May 11, 2017 6:52 PM

Nov 2008
tragedydesu said:

In shitty cartoons i can't even ship

.......................everyone who uses the internet, do you want to tell him...or should I?

May 11, 2017 7:04 PM
Sep 2015
Both have their stuff. Anyway, the fact of Disney movies have won the most of the Oscar Award to the best animated movie it's not the best argument to say that Disney movies are the best animation, the guys who vote the winner have admitted that Frozen won cause was the only animated movie that they saw in 2013 and Big Hero 6 won cause the most of them only saw that movie, that same year they didn't even nominate The Lego Movie that really deserved the prize and How to Train your Dragon 2 it's better than Big Hero 6
May 11, 2017 7:16 PM

Jan 2016
I think it is entirely subjective. Personally I am more of a fan of anime so naturally I often think it is better than other kinds of animation. For example, I have found nothing so far that has topped Assassination Classroom in any region of the world. However, I do believe that plenty of people will have the opposite opinion (for example, many adults that I've met who are oleer than me by say 20-30 years) and I'll respect that.
May 11, 2017 7:31 PM

Jul 2015
It's kind of impossible to say which is better. Western cartoons tend to only be episodic kids comedies,or episodic dirty comedies. Where Anime is way more versatile spanning genres. I'd say as far as big budget Disney films goes that Studio Ghibli is just as good (I personally prefer Ghibli, because of the supernatural of the aspects they tend to have).
May 11, 2017 7:33 PM
Aug 2015
Ghibli films are no doubt better than Disney films. Anime is a completely different matter, though.
May 11, 2017 7:37 PM

Jun 2015
I would say they are equal there are good and bad examples in both.
:)
May 11, 2017 7:37 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
oh great... a new thread trend... Japanese animation vs western animation...

anyway... what do you mean already?.. it always was

inb4 i know who XD
May 11, 2017 7:39 PM

Mar 2013
I think anime nowadays is worse than cartoons. Too much focus on quantity and variety over quality. Cartoon series nowadays are less, but a tad better than anything that came out before; children cartoons even have narrative arcs extending through many episodes or even the whole show now, something rarely heard of before.

I'd say anime nowadays is in the same state as cartoons in the 80s. You know how in that decade a overload of cartoons were produced in the west for toy marketing reasons? Well, I think anime is now at that stage, only worse because the internet era makes the overload more noticeable and that leads to a saturation on series. And a huge amount of these cartoon series of the 80s got cancelled on the early stages without a chance of even getting a second season, something one could make a parallel with a lot of anime shows having a single season to serve as a sort of commercial to their original source material. Only the most popular among these franchises got to have full, satisfying animated narratives, for example Transformers and Thundercats; same deal with the most popular anime shows like the Monogatari series or Durarara.

If we compare the history of anime to the story of animation, then the golden stage that influenced everything, the first three or four decades from Tezuka to Evangelion, would be akin to the golden age of american animation, from Disney to Hannah-Barbera. So if we assume that anime nowadays is at the same state of saturation as cartoons in the 80s, one can only hope for a renaissance in quality over quantity anime in the following decades, same as cartoons in the 90s to present. Only time will tell.
May 11, 2017 8:30 PM

Nov 2008
rocket777 said:
Both have their stuff. Anyway, the fact of Disney movies have won the most of the Oscar Award to the best animated movie it's not the best argument to say that Disney movies are the best animation, the guys who vote the winner have admitted that Frozen won cause was the only animated movie that they saw in 2013 and Big Hero 6 won cause the most of them only saw that movie, that same year they didn't even nominate The Lego Movie that really deserved the prize and How to Train your Dragon 2 it's better than Big Hero 6

I think it's safe to say The Oscars are basically a set-up.

Disney has too much power. "If it's Disney, it will win.".

Gnk said:
I think anime nowadays is worse than cartoons.

With all respect, I'm gonna say Hell to the no. The writing still doesn't scratch the surface.

Like yes, I will say Gravity Falls was very good......but when people claim it's better than the best of anime series, I have to laugh in their faces and call them "delusional".

May 12, 2017 5:03 PM

Dec 2015
I think that anime is better. But I think there are some good american show too. I really like Star Wars The Clone Wars and Avatar Legend of Aang (the cartoon show).
But I prefer anime...
Yui_90May 12, 2017 5:06 PM
May 12, 2017 5:05 PM
May 2017
idk sometimes i like to dabble in the western ways
May 12, 2017 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
Well, but I can't deny that Disney (Pixar) is amazing. The started with cute and old-fashioned fairy tales and like that, some of them were quite good, and last year they released something like Vaina. I mean, look at it. You see every single hair, every single flower and the water... and you can't complain too much about the story and character development either.
And look at this short film, I mean look at it, this is cuteness overflow.

Dreamworks exist as well. There is no need to put western animation down for the sake of anime. ^^

More topics from this board

» Is your waifu inspired by other waifus?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

6 by Yuno »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - Yesterday

39 by Yuno »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » is the word "disney" plot or story a valid criticism?

deg - 7 hours ago

26 by Mualani »»
14 minutes ago

» Why I won't check out anime based on PC visual novels

littlepaul1002 - 1 hour ago

9 by Lucifrost »»
25 minutes ago

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series) ( 1 2 )

Ebb1993 - Sep 22

54 by Ebb1993 »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.