3It was OK
14.5%
2Disliked it
3.8%
1Hated it
4.4%
Average 4.1
159 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 10, 2017 2:46 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well I must say, this is entertaining. OP song showed a lot of action sequences, various new monsters, and the main characters.

So far, I think Yuusaku is actually a cool MC. Setting takes mostly at a school academy so far so I think a lot of the events this season will take place there. Loved the bit of chess references from this episode. Technology in this show seems to be pretty advanced considering the way their city is run. I think some antagonists were introduced as well? Hope to know more about them.

I think this show has a lot of potential tbh. Yuusaku's "transformation" is kinda dope.
May 10, 2017 2:59 AM

Nov 2015
HOLY CRAP
This episode was absolutely amazing. The animation looked beautiful, The opening was fantastic, the series starts right in the story, and the voice acting was so top notch.
Honestly the hype was well worth the wait. In fact I went out of my way to watch a live stream of this episode just because I was that excited.
I can't wait to re watch the episode when a better quality episode comes out.

+ The storyline and setting was dark
+ The character designs and animation was amazing.
+ Revolver in the first episode was also awesome to see.

Anyways I better shut up. I'm rambling too much here because of my pure hype for this series.
May 10, 2017 3:08 AM

Aug 2015
They butchered the ending song(((But outside of that, the art and music was really good, and we also got a huge plot bombardment, which is a nice surprise, considering what YGO 1st eps tend to be(looking at you Arc-V). Also lol at Ignis, he's definetly my favorite in this(at least until Ema finally takes action).
10/10 would watch again with subs.
P.S. So we have an antagonist with chess motifs and a dragon burning everybody to (virtual) death. Where have I seen this before...
P.S.S And speaking of Arc-V,we saw Zoodiacs and Lswarms in the TV in the same way as in Yuya vs Strong match,so other Extra Deck monsters have a chance to appear. Yay for variety and more blackwings.
ChainekJanMay 10, 2017 3:37 AM
May 10, 2017 3:08 AM
Jun 2011
officialryucario said:
HOLY CRAP
This episode was absolutely amazing. The animation looked beautiful, The opening was fantastic, the series starts right in the story, and the voice acting was so top notch.
Honestly the hype was well worth the wait. In fact I went out of my way to watch a live stream of this episode just because I was that excited.
I can't wait to re watch the episode when a better quality episode comes out.

+ The storyline and setting was dark
+ The character designs and animation was amazing.
+ Revolver in the first episode was also awesome to see.

Anyways I better shut up. I'm rambling too much here because of my pure hype for this series.
i cant wait to see the dual and summon animeation in the next episode
May 10, 2017 3:09 AM
Jun 2011
ChainekJan said:
They butchered the ending song(((But outside of that, the art and music was really good, and we also got a huge plot bombardment, which is a nice surprise, considering what YGO 1st eps tend to be(looking at you Arc-V). Also lol at Ignis, he's definetly my favorite in this(at least until Ema finally takes action).
10/10 would watch again with subs.
yes this episode was heavy dialogue so we need subs
May 10, 2017 3:46 AM
Jun 2012
Starting off without a duel is a bold choice, but it worked! Even without a duel going on, the episode remained intense due to all the action going on. And the fact they decided to dedicate the first episode to character introductions/plot is very promising.

I'll say more when I rewatch it with subs, but a very exciting start already! I'm already loving the voice cast, the music, the setting and the more serious atmosphere. Can't wait to see where it goes from here!
May 10, 2017 4:09 AM
May 2016
I don't mean to seem like I'm hating on it, but it seems way too complicated for a 1st ep, even 5D's first eps were easier to grasp lol. I'm comparing it to 5D's cause the vibe is kinda similar btw

Of course watching it without subs is as meaningful as eating fries without ketchup; you feel something's lacking (I just love ketchup guys, don't blame me)

All in all, it has the potential to either become the best series so far despite its slow start (Previews up to ep 5 prove so + 5D's had a slow start too and ended up being awesome imo) or destroy itself for overcomplicating things and not knowing how to handle them

I really hope they manage to go with the former, Yugioh is way too underrated as a franchise and I want this series to do it justice (ARC-V's first year was already a huge leap towards that, statistics said so)
May 10, 2017 4:55 AM
Dec 2015
Can i start watching this without having watched the previous series? (except the first series when i was younger)
May 10, 2017 5:02 AM

Jan 2013
ncky1988 said:
Can i start watching this without having watched the previous series? (except the first series when i was younger)

yup, just dive in fam ;)
May 10, 2017 5:10 AM
May 2016
ncky1988 said:

It actually depends

Many things have changed since Duel Monsters and a lot of new techniques have been introduced to the game itself, so if you're watching it for the duels, I think you'll only be able to enjoy the comebacks with minimal understanding of the game. Most likely, this one will focus on the newest summoning method called Link Summoning, and it seems it will be explained in the series too! Whether they're going to show other Extra Deck summonings or Pendulums is highly possible, and to what degree is not confirmed yet

If you're watching it for the plot, I'm sure you'll understand 99% of it. If they do decide to introduce legacy characters later on, it will most likely not affect the show to a degree that you MUST watch a previous series to understand it fully. Never has a Yugioh series been heavily fixated to a previous one to be fully understandable and enjoyable. At the very least, we may get indirect references or Easter Eggs to a previous series

So yeah, you basically can, and the questions that will arise will be minor 99% of the time if they concern other series
May 10, 2017 6:51 AM

Jul 2016
Which sub group is handling this?

W/o nyaa, I'm blind. Nothing on anidex currently.

May 10, 2017 7:02 AM

Aug 2015
mutsuto said:

Monosubs said that he will start subbing the moment the raw is out.Usually takes at least a day.
There's also NAC, but they're a bit slower(48 hours)
And,finally,PoS.Dont know whether they have plans to sub vrains or not ,but if they do, expect the subs to be out in the nearest 6 hours
May 10, 2017 7:34 AM

Jul 2016
ChainekJan said:
mutsuto said:

Monosubs said that he will start subbing the moment the raw is out.Usually takes at least a day.
And,finally,PoS.Dont know whether they have plans to sub vrains or not ,but if they do, expect the subs to be out in the nearest 6 hours

I can be patient as a cucumber if it means better translations, presentation and timing. I'll happily wait weeks. I don't need sacrificing quality for being an early adopter.

Which group do you think I should go for?

edit: or is it a wait and see [or wait, and ask again here] situation?

May 10, 2017 7:46 AM

Aug 2015
mutsuto said:
ChainekJan said:

I can be patient as a cucumber if it means better translations, presentation and timing. I'll happily wait weeks. I don't need sacrificing quality for being an early adopter.

I mostly watch it raw and then read the script,so I'm not the best advisor. As far as I know though, both Mono and NAC do a very good job, but the former prefers to use TCG names/termins and doesn't have a clear schedule,sometimes falling behind an ep.On the other hand, I've never seen NAC's subs at sites like kissanime or gogo, so maybe they aren't really mainstream.But both of them are high-quality imo.
May 10, 2017 9:17 AM

Jul 2016
ChainekJan said:
mutsuto said:

I mostly watch it raw and then read the script,so I'm not the best advisor. As far as I know though, both Mono and NAC do a very good job, but the former prefers to use TCG names/termins and doesn't have a clear schedule,sometimes falling behind an ep.On the other hand, I've never seen NAC's subs at sites like kissanime or gogo, so maybe they aren't really mainstream.But both of them are high-quality imo.

I've been out of the game for a long time,

Mono uses TCG naming scheme, is that the japanese or american distribution of the card game?

May 10, 2017 9:20 AM

Aug 2015
mutsuto said:
ChainekJan said:

Mono uses TCG naming scheme, is that the japanese or american distribution of the card game?

American.Japanese is OCG.
May 10, 2017 9:37 AM

Jul 2016
ChainekJan said:
mutsuto said:

American.Japanese is OCG.

That explains why I has difficulty googling an answer "TCG vs CCG yugioh"

May 10, 2017 10:08 AM

Apr 2007
There is so much potential already I hope this doesn't fail. I think I'll wait a year or so to fully watch this though like I did with Arc-V. Watching Yu-Gi-Oh weekly sucks.

I love that Yusaku is like Yusei, but with a little more personality. And by little I do mean real little lol. It's still enough for me. I love that he has a silly companion too. It's like Yuma and Astral with opposite personalities. Also starting to wonder if this series is tossing aside the usual rival main character. It's not as obvious with this one and if it's Go then I may be disappointed (again, like with Arc-V).
May 10, 2017 11:38 AM

Dec 2013
THIS WAS SO FUCKING GOOD

YU-GI-OH IS SAVED
May 10, 2017 11:48 AM

Mar 2013
So far so good now let's just hope they don't ruin it. Still not a fan of the character designs but they really haven't gotten any better after 5D's. not a fan of the talking dual disk I like the whole one eye thing but damn does that look like a toy (yes I'm aware it's a selling point) at least it's not a cg dual disk.
May 10, 2017 12:02 PM

Aug 2014
they focused on the story for the first episode instead of wanting to start with a duel, at least as a start was stronger first episode than its predecessors.
May 10, 2017 12:47 PM

Sep 2011
Monochrome said:
There is so much potential already I hope this doesn't fail. I think I'll wait a year or so to fully watch this though like I did with Arc-V. Watching Yu-Gi-Oh weekly sucks.

I love that Yusaku is like Yusei, but with a little more personality. And by little I do mean real little lol. It's still enough for me. I love that he has a silly companion too. It's like Yuma and Astral with opposite personalities. Also starting to wonder if this series is tossing aside the usual rival main character. It's not as obvious with this one and if it's Go then I may be disappointed (again, like with Arc-V).
pre relrelease material seems to day the egyptian as fuck looking guy is yusaku's rival.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 10, 2017 1:43 PM
Apr 2017
I watched the subs, and my god, that was amazing. They didn't even start the duel, so it focused primarily on character intro and plot. I can already tell by the first "crisis" that deaths in this show would just be deaths in the VR World (losing your character data) which could be good if they are unknown in the real world. Also, pretty interesting OP compared to Believe It! So Specter isn't the hooded guy as previous thought, so that's been confirmed. Can't wait for Ema!!!! And next week too!
May 10, 2017 1:52 PM

Jan 2013
Duel Art Online is HERE BOIS

GRAB THE WIND PLAYMAKER !!!
May 10, 2017 2:07 PM

Feb 2013
It looks cool, the MC is interesting.
May 10, 2017 2:19 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm! I didn't watch any Yugioh stuff before (red manga tho but not finished).But I have been somewhat yugioh fan by playing duel links and yeah then planned to watch this good looking cover shoted anime.
Looks great! I thought this is a card game but they didn't showed any hint of card battle on the first episode which means this time yugioh is taking different initiative with a grand new idea! So it looks great! ^_^
The most coolest thing that confirmed me to continue to watch is that the Main Character, who looks really cool! Glad to see this type of MC in a long running anime (that reminds of Pokemon, which MC is way opposite to this).
Next episode we will see the first duel and I think I wont get any explanation of this modern rule -_-

OP song looks great for me and ED song is EPIC! and visual looks way too stunning for long-running anime!

removed-userMay 10, 2017 2:23 PM
May 10, 2017 2:39 PM

Jan 2013
SkyDrop said:

The most coolest thing that confirmed me to continue to watch is that the Main Character, who looks really cool!

god bless duel links for giving us that playmate and sleeves even if its just for promo

character designs are so good
May 10, 2017 2:52 PM

Dec 2016
I was really looking forward to this and I wasn't disappointed.

That was very exciting and definitely makes me want to watch more.

Those knights were savage, they erased any innocent person they ran into too.

Yuusaku had a great plan their taking Ignis for himself, looking forward to next time to see his dueling in action.

Both opening and ending were pretty good.
May 10, 2017 3:47 PM

Feb 2010
No duel? Not even a glimpse of a new LP counter? :(

Amazing episode tho, sooo action-packed!

Looks like Yusaku is not enjoying duels, hope his new surfboard will bring him egao... or not lol
May 10, 2017 5:03 PM
Mar 2008
Finally. FINALLY. Yuu gi oh seems to be back............at least the first episode was interesting enough overall. Still somewhat weird with the Air-Surfboards and Yuusaku's transformation into a half Saiyajin dressed like Futaba (Persona 5) but damn. After the very very very (at BEST) average.............ness (is that a word?) of Arc V and Zexal, its time that Yuu gi oh takes itself and the audience more seriously and this seems to finally be it.
No time to take a dump here, they jump right into the story with a somewhat darker setting (even tho a bit too futuristic for my taste), seemingly decent characters, an opening and ending that EASILY destroys the first OP and ED of both Zexal and ARC V and even the design of Yuusaku doesnt seem as bad as i thought at first. So, its all good until now.
But................seriously, was that the eye of the millenium puzzle in the first 2 seconds of the opening? What the hell is that all about? Dont tell me that Yuugi/Atemu's puzzle will play a role here....
May 10, 2017 5:11 PM

Feb 2016
INTO THE VRAINS!

I loved Episode 1. I liked Playmaker's and Ignil's wits.

Playmaker is like Joesph Joestar as a duelist.

I can imagine him going aginst Revolver and saying "Your next move will be..."/"Next, you'll play..."

And then Revolver does the move/play, followed by "Damn you, Playmaker! Was this part of your hacks too?!".
May 10, 2017 5:40 PM

Apr 2016
Pretty neat. I like Yusaku quite a bit, and his friend who runs the hotdog stand seems just as chill. While I liked Yuya, its nice to have a more laid back protagonist this time around similar to that of Yusei.
May 10, 2017 5:46 PM

Jan 2009
I wasn't really impressed to be honest, the episode kinda lacked focus, there were too many characters that didn't need to be introduced so early, Yuusaku's flashback was pointless since nothing was explained or hinted in it, his conversation with his classmate was weird, and the animation is not as good as Arc-V's, something's off with the way the characters move.
Complaints aside though, I like Yuusaku's character, his voice acting is great! I don't know why I actually thought he was gonna get a more feminine voice (like Johan's).
Also, those villains look interesting, I'm curious to see what kind of decks they use, and if they're gonna use a common archetype (like how Academia duelists used Ancient Gears in Arc-V).
That scene when the dragon was burning people to death, lol it seems like they're gonna use the idea of the virtual world as an excuse to show dark stuff like that, I like it!
May 10, 2017 5:49 PM

Sep 2015
HOLY! DID MATURE STUFF FINALLY INTO YU GI OH ANIME!?
and NO DUEL for first episode this really new

so killed by them = account deleted?
Into the Internet!
May 10, 2017 6:01 PM

Dec 2010
I'm deeply disappointed. As an anime watcher and as a TCG player.
I had no great expectations about this because I really disliked the new rules that came with Link Summon, but I tought the anime would be entertaining...
Yet, we got an edgy cool badass main character, like Yusei, and he's my least favorite mc... I really hope someday we get more charismatic mc's like Judai was.
I'm not fond of the Speed Duels either, they feel awkward as Riding Duels, I hope they don't do stupid drama in middle of the duels like "oh no, he's gonna fall from his hoverboard thingy!"...
I really tried to like this as much as I liked Arc-V (well, at least its first 50 episodes or so), but it seems unlikely.
Hopefully we'll get the next series without gimmicky duels like Zexal was
May 10, 2017 6:02 PM

Mar 2012
It' already 10/10 material from the first episode. It take Arc-V 7 episode for it to be hot but in only one episode VRAINS manage to outstrip all other series.

Seriously I just think that Konami learn from all of their mistake and pour their all into VRAINS.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 10, 2017 6:14 PM

May 2015
bruh this gives 5D's Vibes Great start ir8 8/8/ M8.
May 10, 2017 6:58 PM
Aug 2015
This was simply amazing. I hope they don't let us down next week with the Speed Duel
May 10, 2017 7:07 PM

Jun 2015
i'm trying to watch all prior yugioh series before watching vrains (a hard thing to do, considering i'm only 40 episodes into duel monsters!!! :'D) but looking at all these positive impressions is making me so happy. i'm glad vrains seems to be living up to the hype
May 10, 2017 7:44 PM
Feb 2016
Let's go, let's freaking go. After the disappointment that was ARC-V's ending, this is an AMAZING start. I love the OP, I love the ED, the animation is magnificent, and while there was quite the bit of exposition, that's because it's the first episode. I sincerely hope that this keeps up!
May 10, 2017 8:00 PM
Sep 2012
I don't know what to make of it. It looks fine to me, it will take time to really get into the plot.

You have these two antagonistic forces fighting each other, so that makes a things a little more complicated.

I do like how the main character he is involved with this big world conflict before even the series began. So no need to waste time explaining stuff to him. I guess the green haired fat kid is going to be the represent the viewers, because he is clueless of what is going on, so as he learns, so well we.

So this is Yu Gi Oh meets SAO, you have these sort of virtual world with people having these ultra egos, I am getting an SAO vibe from that.

Anyway interested to see where is goes, is it as goes 5Ds only time will tell. In terms of instant connection with the characters, I think Arc V because I instant cared about those characters very quickly, I don't have that yet with this show, but that is what happens when you focus more on story than characters.
May 10, 2017 8:43 PM

Dec 2011
Great start. Hoping this ends up better than the last 2 which were pretty disappointing. I`m curious if the Speed Duels are going to be based off of the real life version or end up being it's own thing. Not a big fan of it but maybe VRAINS will change my mind on it.
May 10, 2017 9:12 PM

Sep 2015
I really loved the first episode. The duel hasn't begun yet, but that's just hyping me up for the next episode. The MC seems to a pretty serious character, I needed this.

I'm actually pretty excited to watch this new version of Yu-gi-oh. I quit during Zexal2 and didn't want to watch ARC-V, so it feels nice to come back to some Yu-gi-oh.
May 10, 2017 10:00 PM
Jun 2011
Ersatz-Gott said:
I'm deeply disappointed. As an anime watcher and as a TCG player.
I had no great expectations about this because I really disliked the new rules that came with Link Summon, but I tought the anime would be entertaining...
Yet, we got an edgy cool badass main character, like Yusei, and he's my least favorite mc... I really hope someday we get more charismatic mc's like Judai was.
I'm not fond of the Speed Duels either, they feel awkward as Riding Duels, I hope they don't do stupid drama in middle of the duels like "oh no, he's gonna fall from his hoverboard thingy!"...
I really tried to like this as much as I liked Arc-V (well, at least its first 50 episodes or so), but it seems unlikely.
Hopefully we'll get the next series without gimmicky duels like Zexal was
how exactly you know you dont like the speed duals if there was not a signle dual of this type in this episode?
May 10, 2017 10:12 PM

Dec 2014
Good start.

I liked the focus on the plot and our MC is decent for me so far. I'm getting the vibe that this is some kind of Digimon x Yugioh hybrid with the whole battle and stakes in the virtual world. The monitors being destroyed because of the damage in the Virtual World seemed a little odd but from I'm guessing it was some kind of surge?

I haven't seen Yugioh since 5D's so I'm hoping I can understand the duels well enough since I'm not familiar with the more recent summoning mechanics. I was told that VRAINS isn't related to Arc-V and Zexal so I'm guessing I won't have a problem.

Speed duels eh? While I much prefer the classic styled duels like in the original and GX, I suppose this could be interesting as well.
May 10, 2017 10:47 PM

Nov 2011
Well, I like the main character already. The previous two didn't managed to. Though I dropped Arc V after the first episode but I watched Zexal until the second half.

I like the virtual reality concept, there's a lot they can do with that. Hologram is so 2000s.

I wonder what speed duel is like, I heard the new format changed the field a lot.

May 10, 2017 11:32 PM

Oct 2011
The first episode was actually good. A lot better than the BS Zexal and the joke Arc-V anime. Looking forward to the next episode

May 10, 2017 11:55 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I didn't expect much after how bad Arc-V ended up being but this was actually really great =o

I'm already super impressed with Yusaku because not only is he cool, calm and collected, but his analytical mindset and hacking skills EASILY makes him the most intelligent protagonist in the entire franchise, and I LOVE that

Other than that, they did a nice job with the world building and especially when explaining the new mechanics in this series which btw are pretty neat and an interesting advancement for Duel Monsters (It's pretty fitting how you no longer have to physically own cards too)

This really gave me a 5DS type of feel, so I'm hoping that this will not disappoint and actually live up to how great that and the previous series before it was....Also, seeing Yusaku transform and enter the Vrain World like that really reminded me of the Megaman Battle Network anime so that was pretty cool

P.S. It's nice to have a MC with a lot of bass in his voice
TokoyaMay 10, 2017 11:59 PM
May 11, 2017 2:13 AM

Jun 2013
Arc-V had better characters.

There is no one I can look forward to in VRAINS atm, design and personality-wise. Aoi
is so overdesigned it hurts and I'll never get any cutesy feeling from that cluster.

Shame it must be her and not Ema who is the main girl.

I prefer colorful environments to the edgy city feeling they're aiming at. Can't understand the hype myself, considering not even a duel happened yet.

But of course, "anything that's super mature is super cool!"
I thought that mentality was long dead by 2017.

All in all, the beginning was nothing special and didn't impress me.
XeogranMay 11, 2017 2:22 AM
Weakness is a sin!
May 11, 2017 2:28 AM

Mar 2017
I won't get my hope up, since they managed to butcher massive potential like Arc-V.
2B or not 2B?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 34 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2018

22 by CyanGear »»
Mar 10, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2017

27 by XanderBly »»
Feb 25, 3:16 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 120 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2019

48 by JVskunkape »»
Aug 27, 2023 5:38 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 82 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2018

13 by denana1239 »»
Jun 2, 2023 10:39 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 102 Discussion

Stark700 - May 15, 2019

10 by StarlingBGYT »»
Jan 16, 2023 10:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.