Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novel 'Kino no Tabi' Gets New TV Anime

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 13, 2017 5:57 AM

Jan 2015
ichii_1 said:
Whatever studio but shaft, they already made 3gatsu into an irrelevant series.
Shaft did nothing wrong. Shitbo dindu nuffin. He a gud boi
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Mar 13, 2017 6:39 AM

Sep 2014
Zefyris said:
I didn't enjoy the first anime that much but if they switch to aoi Yuuki for kino then i'm on board for watching this one. Souma Saito isn't a bad news either.

Uh what? I mean I'm not into the whole VA-Religion thingy but I thought the previous VA for Kino did a fantastic job.
Mar 13, 2017 8:13 AM

Apr 2014
ichii_1 said:
lmfao it has more viewership than any late night TV anime
Mar 13, 2017 8:30 AM

Sep 2013
moodie said:
ichii_1 said:

At first then it dropped like a rock, just goes to show that people don't want every show to have their their "style".
Mar 13, 2017 8:46 AM

Apr 2014
ichii_1 said:
moodie said:

At first then it dropped like a rock, just goes to show that people don't want every show to have their their "style".
the DVR ratings state otherwise

just goes to show people don't know what they are talking about on mal
Mar 13, 2017 9:17 AM

Sep 2013
moodie said:
DVR ratings

Cute, now get me some real ratings that justify it's time slot.
OreMonogatari did better btw.
Mar 13, 2017 9:18 AM

Apr 2014
ichii_1 said:
moodie said:
DVR ratings

it didn't

NHK has a wider audience
Mar 13, 2017 12:42 PM
Feb 2017
yes i am so hyped for this.
Mar 13, 2017 1:05 PM

Jul 2007
Dustro said:
People losing their shit over a cover art, priceless.

Considering that art does not seem fit for the show's message nad topics it explores, its a fair thing to lose their shit about.

Kino behaving in a gender-ambiguous or gender-queer way has been core element of her character. She escapes limitations of a "girl heroine". She addresses herself in masculine way. She dresses in masculine clothes reminiscent of her father figure. She hates being called "miss" or "girl" or "boy" or anything that is not Kino. She ignores most of the gender norms in her own world and in ours, ignoring the roles that are expected of her because of her gender. Kino "is not that girl", Kino "is Kino".

Making her into fanservicey moe waifu kind of defeats the purpose of a huge part of her character and huge part of why she is a great and memorable character many people liked.

NOt to mention Kino no tabi was never about cheap fanservice or objectification. Adding that, yet again, misses the point. That's no different than if someone took Mushishi's Ginko making him look like 17 year old black haired ripped with muscles shonen hero.
Mar 13, 2017 1:08 PM

Apr 2014
Fai said:
Dustro said:

Considering that art does not seem fit for the show's message nad topics it explores, its a fair thing to lose their shit about.

Kino behaving in a gender-ambiguous or gender-queer way has been core element of her character. She escapes limitations of a "girl heroine". She addresses herself in masculine way. She dresses in masculine clothes reminiscent of her father figure. She hates being called "miss" or "girl" or "boy" or anything that is not Kino. She ignores most of the gender norms in her own world and in ours, ignoring the roles that are expected of her because of her gender. Kino "is not that girl", Kino "is Kino".

Making her into fanservicey moe waifu kind of defeats the purpose of a huge part of her character and huge part of why she is a great and memorable character many people liked.

NOt to mention Kino no tabi was never about cheap fanservice or objectification. Adding that, yet again, misses the point. That's no different than if someone took Mushishi's Ginko making him look like 17 year old black haired ripped with muscles shonen hero.
You mean to tell me that she isnt supposed to grow as a character or change? Oh yeah lets keep her the same for 10+ years.
Mar 13, 2017 1:18 PM

Jul 2007
Not all change is good. A change that betrays the core aspects of a character and the show's aesthetics is a bad change. Kino can't "grow out" from being Kino.

If someone remade Utena replacing her classic boy uniform and emphasizing her breasts, it would sure be a change. But not a good one nor the one that is faithful to core of the character.

The character design is influenced by LN covers sure, but there's difference in focus.

And while that sure betrays some of the iconic design(from what I hear Kino's LNs went downhill in quality), there's still HUGE difference between posing and style in that than in what the anime is advertised with. Different focus.
AhenshihaelMar 13, 2017 1:22 PM
Mar 13, 2017 1:31 PM

Jul 2016
Fai said:
Dustro said:

This is "Light Novel's" cover not the new anime series. And also this is turning into Overwatch replacing the victory pose for the Tracer that caused such a fuss .Will you write ASCII Media Works to beg them to change the volumes cover you didn't even read ?
Mar 13, 2017 1:56 PM

Aug 2009
Holy Shit Fai turned SJW just to shit on things.

Dont know if MAL just git better or way worse.
Mar 13, 2017 2:02 PM

Dec 2012
Dustro said:
This is "Light Novel's" cover not the new anime series. And also this is turning into Overwatch replacing the victory pose for the Tracer that caused such a fuss .Will you write ASCII Media Works to beg them to change the volumes cover you didn't even read ?

Wait so, just to make sure, is this LN cover art any different from the previous volume's cover arts?

If not, then that would mean everyone has been overreacting to an art style that hasn't changed since the series started, and no one realized it was just the latest(?) volume's cover art.

This also leads to another question, which is, how well did the original anime adapt the LN?
Mar 13, 2017 2:11 PM

Jul 2016
AdolTheRed said:
Dustro said:

Wait so, just to make sure, is this LN cover art any different from the previous volume's cover arts?

If not, then that would mean everyone has been overreacting to an art style that hasn't changed since the series started, and no one realized it was just the latest(?) volume's cover art.

This also leads to another question, which is, how well did the original anime adapt the LN?

Yes it is, cover arts for the volumes change, so does how Kino looks on each cover, you can check them out yourself. In some of them she looks more feminine, in some she looks more Ambiguous. 2003 Anime series adapted the oldest cover look of the kino from the first volume.

I don't know what look they will go for but her looks change from cover to cover, not drastically, but the change in illustrations is apparent. I don't know why this is a thing though.
Mar 13, 2017 2:12 PM

Jan 2011
Not gonna lie having only looked at Kino's Journey 's page a couple of times and once and a while thinking i should watch i never knew she was a girl till now lol but hey i'm all for more old anime coming back.

obligatory index salt if JC does pick this up Season 3 when
Mar 13, 2017 2:16 PM

Jul 2007
AdolTheRed said:
Dustro said:

Already posted the examples of previous volumes literally two posts above.

This is a cover art sure(of Vol20) and not only it is drawn in same way anime visuals are usually drawn, but different from previous covers I already linked. Like I said, the LN apparently dropped in quality a lot lately. Its a first really sexualized cover that emphasizes her gender. The white shirt cover I linked in the post is CLOSEST the covers ever got to sexualizing the character.

And yes it is relevant because defiance of gender expectations is the core element of the protagonist. The story would work the same way no matter which gender Kino is. She is essentially gender-neutral at the least, if not gender-queer(Since unsure I keep alternating between she and they when refering to Kino because confused). And since the story explores a lot about society, it also touches upon gender roles and challenges a lot of themes connected to that. Its essentially one of the only few anime shows/lns with actual feminist themes. Kino herself would proclaim that she is not a girl or a boy or a miss, but simply Kino even though she uses boku when referring to herself which is used mainly by men, while lns themselves actually use genderless pronouns to describe her.

So when the work suddenly gets advertised with "moe and sexy" cover, its normal to be worried especially with anime trends lately.
AhenshihaelMar 13, 2017 2:37 PM
Mar 13, 2017 2:29 PM

Aug 2009
"For the last 20 volumes her gender ambiguity is what made this novel worth anything."

This is what I am getting from all the hysteria here. There is something sweet when I see "fans" ruining their fav series for some bs that just dont matter.
Mar 13, 2017 3:05 PM

Jul 2016
Fai said:
AdolTheRed said:

Already posted the examples of previous volumes literally two posts above.

This is a cover art sure(of Vol20) and not only it is drawn in same way anime visuals are usually drawn, but different from previous covers I already linked. Like I said, the LN apparently dropped in quality a lot lately. Its a first really sexualized cover that emphasizes her gender. The white shirt cover I linked in the post is CLOSEST the covers ever got to sexualizing the character.

And yes it is relevant because defiance of gender expectations is the core element of the protagonist. The story would work the same way no matter which gender Kino is. She is essentially gender-neutral at the least, if not gender-queer(Since unsure I keep alternating between she and they when refering to Kino because confused). And since the story explores a lot about society, it also touches upon gender roles and challenges a lot of themes connected to that. Its essentially one of the only few anime shows/lns with actual feminist themes. Kino herself would proclaim that she is not a girl or a boy or a miss, but simply Kino even though she uses boku when referring to herself which is used mainly by men, while lns themselves actually use genderless pronouns to describe her.

So when the work suddenly gets advertised with "moe and sexy" cover, its normal to be worried especially with anime trends lately.

Believe me, someone who reads up this series up until the vol 20 is not doing this because how kino looks. Did you even read the volumes ? I know I did not. How do you know about this "drop in quality" ?
Mar 13, 2017 3:20 PM

Apr 2013
Miragee said:
Zefyris said:
I didn't enjoy the first anime that much but if they switch to aoi Yuuki for kino then i'm on board for watching this one. Souma Saito isn't a bad news either.

Uh what? I mean I'm not into the whole VA-Religion thingy but I thought the previous VA for Kino did a fantastic job.

Never said the previous VA did a bad job and I don't think she did. I just enjoy Aoi yuuki's performance far more than most VA performance usually. Just look at youjo Senki (and youjo shenki as well) this season to understand what i'm talking about, that seiyuu does amazing stuff and if anything it feels like she's getting better at it.
Mar 13, 2017 3:23 PM

Dec 2012
Fai said:

Yah, I saw them, they were from vol. 12, 13 and 16, so I just wanted to make sure if it was something that was done throughout the entire series or just a few here and there.

Are you saying that because the LN dropped in quality, the author or illustrator is trying to get people interested again by "sexualizing" the character?

In regards to the vol.13 cover compared to vol.12, other than the eye color difference, there are'nt any changes in her design. The only thing that gives a hint that the character is female, is the position shes in.

Personally, I don't think shes that sexualized in the vol.20 cover. Sure her position (and those small bumps on her chest) makes her look more feminine, but I don't really see her being as sexualized as everyone is making it out to be.

Also, I checked out all the other vol. covers and while a few of them does lean slightly towards her feminine side, vol.20 does it the most.

Considering that Kino is in fact a female, I don't see why the author can't make a cover art that makes Kino look more feminine than usual, especially after 20 vols into the series. I mean, sure in the story and how she acts, her being more gender-neutral plays an important part, but it is a fact that Kino is still a girl, and after 20 volumes, I don't see how anyone would think otherwise (unless of course that the author never even gave a single hint towards her actual gender throughout the entire 20 vols.)

Either way, I have no idea how the LN's story and character development progressed after the anime finished. Kino may have physically grown older or not, or certain things or events may have given a few hints that Kino is actually a girl, I don't know. If theres an actual reason for her to look as feminine as she does in the cover art, then we can't really complain about it since we only have the original anime to compare it with.
Mar 13, 2017 6:48 PM

Jun 2015
That's some good news. Glad Hermes' voice is getting changed.
:)
Mar 13, 2017 7:45 PM

Jul 2013
Did people really like Kino no Tabi solely because of Kino's gender ambiguity?
Mar 13, 2017 9:33 PM

Mar 2015
ssjokg said:
"For the last 20 volumes her gender ambiguity is what made this novel worth anything."

This is what I am getting from all the hysteria here. There is something sweet when I see "fans" ruining their fav series for some bs that just dont matter.

well put.. i mean, what's the metter if kino get more femine? it doesn't really change the content... i dobt they even read gakuen kino which make kino FARRRR more femine...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 13, 2017 10:41 PM
Jul 2018
The salt comments here Lol.

I mean it's an art, it doesn't really say much until we see the official news to it and some Key Visuals to get an idea, or character design drafts.
Mar 14, 2017 12:30 AM
Mar 2017
This better be good or im gonna be pissed
Mar 14, 2017 2:28 AM

Aug 2013
It is going to be pretty hard to beat how well adapted the original was, but with that said I am really excited about this.

Mar 14, 2017 6:37 AM

Jan 2015
ichii_1 said:
moodie said:
DVR ratings

NHK shows are bound to be successfull as always. Had pretty good ratings for a 2 cour show. I would prefer JC staff with Kasai working with it tho.
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Mar 14, 2017 7:11 AM

Jul 2007
AdolTheRed said:
Are you saying that because the LN dropped in quality, the author or illustrator is trying to get people interested again by "sexualizing" the character?

The latter arcs apparently are weaker in quality and considering the current market of LNs, I would not be surprised if publishers wanted to "sex/moe it up" with that cover considering how jarring it is.

Sure it does not say anything about the upcoming adaptation but considering the tendencies of shows to "sex it up" that's still legitimate worry.

Considering that Kino is in fact a female, I don't see why the author can't make a cover art that makes Kino look more feminine than usual, especially after 20 vols into the series. I mean, sure in the story and how she acts, her being more gender-neutral plays an important part, but it is a fact that Kino is still a girl, and after 20 volumes, I don't see how anyone would think otherwise (unless of course that the author never even gave a single hint towards her actual gender throughout the entire 20 vols.)

Kino is Kino. Her biological gender is irrelevant both to the story and to her as a character. She refers to herself with a manly/boyish boku expression that is mainly used by males. Otherwise the story refers to her in gender neutral proverbs. Had story not shown us that she was born as a girl, there would be absolutely no other indication or importance in her biological gender.

Its pretty much a story of a person and their motorcycle on a roadtrip through disturbing and bizarre countries. There's no romance, there's no "heroics". She is a stoic , seemingly emotionless, brutally honest armed traveler who sometimes might end up being an influence in situations she finds herself in but she keeps it at complete minimum because of strict rules of ambivalence she follows - "The world is not beautiful, therefore it is". In doing so she essentially denies being viewed as a hero or heroine, refusing roles stories usually associate with either gender and refusing to be identified as anything else but Kino, likewise having same effect on people she meets.

Focusing on her "feminine" assets would directly clash with that idea. That's like giving Utena a bust size increase and a boob window in the clothes. Kino No Tabi is a show that would be completely ruined with fanservice or by sexualizing the lead.

AdolTheRed said:

👌👌👌

The only problem is that it is incomplete.
Mar 14, 2017 7:27 AM

Aug 2009
Fai said:

Kino is Kino. Her biological gender is irrelevant both to the story and to her as a character.

Gotta love seeing people contradict themselves so much.

1st of all, taking a girl and dressing it as a boy is already "fanservice".It is called crossdressing. And since many didnt know Kiino was a girl, also a reverse trap.
You, plural, being mad at the author and/or illustrator ruining that is just you being mad that your desired fanservice will be probably gone.As you said, "Her biological gender is irrelevant both to the story and to her as a character" .So if the story and her character doesnt change from whether she is a male or a female, then why the fuss?

2nd, just because she starts to look more feminine doesnt mean this shit will be filled with fanservice.And even if it does it doesnt mean it will be able to distract you from the story.
The original Saber, in FSN, was supposed to be a character whose gender didnt matter yet they couldnt stick to that for even 1/3 of the story."But FSN is about Shirou not Saber."Fate route is about both.

3rd, it is asinine that you, at least, are making a fuss about this, making a female character look more feminine, while calling Monogatari's random fanservice and often borderline hentai scenes ART.
Mar 14, 2017 7:57 AM

Sep 2014
ssjokg said:
Fai said:

Kino is Kino. Her biological gender is irrelevant both to the story and to her as a character.

1st of all, taking a girl and dressing it as a boy is already "fanservice".It is called crossdressing. And since many didnt know Kiino was a girl, also a reverse trap.
You, plural, being mad at the author and/or illustrator ruining that is just you being mad that your desired fanservice will be probably gone.As you said, "Her biological gender is irrelevant both to the story and to her as a character" .So if the story and her character doesnt change from whether she is a male or a female, then why the fuss?

2nd, just because she starts to look more feminine doesnt mean this shit will be filled with fanservice.And even if it does it doesnt mean it will be able to distract you from the story.
The original Saber, in FSN, was supposed to be a character whose gender didnt matter yet they couldnt stick to that for even 1/3 of the story."But FSN is about Shirou not Saber."Fate route is about both.

3rd, it is asinine that you, at least, are making a fuss about this, making a female character look more feminine, while calling Monogatari's random fanservice and often borderline hentai scenes ART.

Well, the only thing that was incorrect is that it has some relevance to the story. In one episode, Kino plays with the japanese language, pondering whether she liked being adressed with boy'ish or girlish co-words.
I don't think the series makes a point in cross-dressing her. It's not a cross-dress. It's just neutral clothing that fits her travels and it's hard to make a call if she is a girl or a boy just from that. Which is a good thing.
Mar 14, 2017 8:58 AM

Aug 2009
Miragee said:
ssjokg said:

Well, the only thing that was incorrect is that it has some relevance to the story. In one episode, Kino plays with the japanese language, pondering whether she liked being adressed with boy'ish or girlish co-words.
I don't think the series makes a point in cross-dressing her. It's not a cross-dress. It's just neutral clothing that fits her travels and it's hard to make a call if she is a girl or a boy just from that. Which is a good thing.

I am just going along with what the other guy said. I only watched 1 or 2 eps of the first series since I only wanted action shit back then.

I am not talking about what the author and the story were trying to achieve. What matters is that it caters to somebody somewhere.

And at least we see something that ruins her character all this talk is just fans who lost their fanservice thingy.
Mar 14, 2017 11:36 AM

Dec 2012
Fai said:
Focusing on her "feminine" assets would directly clash with that idea. That's like giving Utena a bust size increase and a boob window in the clothes. Kino No Tabi is a show that would be completely ruined with fanservice or by sexualizing the lead.

Well, its just one picture, so, unless someone has read the 20th volume, we will never know whether such a "different" cover art in the series actually has an impact in the story or whatever.

Its best if we wait for more information on just the new anime adaptation, rather than put all our focus on just one single cover art in the latest volume that we know nothing about.

Tho, if theres anyone whos read the LN and can give some info on how the story and character developments have gone throughout the LN and whether the "controversial" vol.20 cover art actually makes a difference or not, would be really helpful.
Mar 14, 2017 6:12 PM

Nov 2012
F*ck!
I´m so hype about this new season, but I really hoped to hear the same Kino´s voice.
Aoi Yuuki is my favorite seiyuu, but this kinda makes it worse.
I´m glad she get a new role, but I love Kino too and they just don´t fit at all, maybe if she sounds like Degurechaff this can work.
Hoping to be mad for nothing.

My Candies:

Mar 14, 2017 6:46 PM

Aug 2012
Good news, but why not give Ai Maeda the role to Kino again?
Mar 14, 2017 7:21 PM

Oct 2013
Wow....this was REALLY unexpected. I heard great things about the original anime so I guess I should watch it soon.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Mar 14, 2017 7:22 PM

Oct 2013
StarFromDust said:
Serious?? Hooray!! But please, don't messed up.

Damn straight. its always a 50/50 chance these days. Lets hope a ight studio is chosen THEN we can say it'll be good.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Mar 15, 2017 2:02 AM

Feb 2011
Waaaaaaaaaaaat.... that's cool and all but i wish Spice & Wolf would've gotten a new season.
Mar 21, 2017 10:28 PM
Oct 2016
Hm. I'm cautiously optimistic for this new adaptation. I really hope it continues the story instead of just being a remake.
Mar 22, 2017 10:02 PM

Dec 2011
When you have a plot-less, episodic series (there are no legitimate "arcs" here) with over 200 stories, readers are bound to perceive a drop in quality. It is true that some of the volumes are pretty dry (11, 13 and 15 spring to mind), but rest assured that the series hasn't really gone into the "sexualizing/moe" direction, unless you count the introduction of the ff. characters: 1) a woman who is always described as "gorgeous"; 2) a girl who is a loli, appearance-wise; 3) a teen-aged girl who is an actual foil to Kino's character.

Anyway, I don't really find the gender neutrality thing to be the crowning essence of the series. The LN has a host of stories focusing on other characters who are definitely not gender ambiguous, and to me at least, that never reduced their poignancy. Heck, the original draft of one of the stories even had a real fanservice scene, and still that wouldn't change the impact. What makes this series tick is that it is a commentary about the real world. It presents potential situations that could emerge when some of the mundane things we take for granted are taken to extremes.
SaneSavantEllaMar 22, 2017 10:06 PM
Mar 30, 2017 8:41 AM
Nov 2013
knktzvra said:
F*ck!
I´m so hype about this new season, but I really hoped to hear the same Kino´s voice.
Aoi Yuuki is my favorite seiyuu, but this kinda makes it worse.
I´m glad she get a new role, but I love Kino too and they just don´t fit at all, maybe if she sounds like Degurechaff this can work.
Hoping to be mad for nothing.

Agreed. Aoi Yuuki is also my favorite Japanese voice actress, but she's not Kino, it'd honestly be too jarring to not hear Ai Maeda as Kino.
May 19, 2017 7:00 AM

Dec 2009
Aoi Yuuki voiced young Kino (Sakura) in the original and now she is voicing Kino herself. Like a pottery.
May 21, 2017 5:48 AM
Apr 2013
Art looks bad! Also haven't watched the original yet, so I don't know if I want a sequel
Jun 4, 2017 4:58 PM

Aug 2014
which studio is going to do the animation ??
btw the art looks bad as well as the voices picked for the characters , i don't think they suit them at all .
hopefully these gets changed i don't want to see moe shit in kino , i doubt it would fit with this type of story and how it has always been , i'm happy it's getting a new anime but it could turn shit because of how it looks like so far . hopefully i will be wrong because i absolutely adore this series .
RPWPAJun 4, 2017 6:00 PM
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Nov 3, 2017 4:39 AM
May 2017
A lot of people seem to be complaining that the art is bad. I think its pretty cute and a good modern remake of the original. However, Kino's overly cute character design led me to believe this would be another stupid moe slice of life and I almost overlooked the show until a lot of people started to recommend it. Its really good but you should check out the original too as it goes into more detail of some of the stories which also appear in this new one.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

6 by DrHizzle »»
43 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

9 by Maumuu »»
2 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
7 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.