Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2017 10:51 AM

Sep 2016
I'm currently enjoying Youjo Senki and came to me the thought that I don't see any series that has war as it's main focus, so I went to the military section of the anime search and found out that there's only 430 titles in it.

So, is there any specific reason?
What do you think of this?
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 24, 2017 10:55 AM

Aug 2016
There's been more recently.
Last season we had "Shuumatsu no Izetta" and "Brave Witches"
War is just not a very popular topic for anime to be based upon.
Feb 24, 2017 10:55 AM

Apr 2014
probably the audience they are trying to target isn't reciprocating the attention
i bet if we took a stroll down those 430 titles, ~200 are in some way WWII
Feb 24, 2017 10:59 AM

Jan 2016
The real question is:

Why are there so few military anime without superpower/magic bullshit?
Feb 24, 2017 11:00 AM

Sep 2016
KazuyaKujo said:
probably the audience they are trying to target isn't reciprocating the attention

Casually, most of them are futuristic, but yeah not many people are interested in the genre.

Feb 24, 2017 11:04 AM

Sep 2016
Johnnyd3rp said:
The real question is:

Johnnyd3rp said:
The real question is:

Because regular war is boring. And superpowers are a way of creating "Alternate universe" so less people get triggered when their country is desteoyed.

Feb 24, 2017 11:10 AM

Feb 2013
Johnnyd3rp said:
The real question is:

cause superpower/magic is easier to do in anime
as opposed to realistic, where doing it in live action is easier
Feb 24, 2017 11:12 AM

Jan 2016
Noesnecesario said:
Johnnyd3rp said:
The real question is:

Because regular war is boring. And superpowers are a way of creating "Alternate universe" so less people get triggered when their country is desteoyed.

Kingdom sells really well, sadly the anime doesn't give the manga justice.

There are also The Ravages of Time or Song of the Long March that are well received as manhua. I'm not sure a realist setting is seen as boring.
Johnnyd3rpFeb 24, 2017 11:38 AM
Feb 24, 2017 11:14 AM

Feb 2015
Don't worry dude, you'll get more once the WW III is done. I hope you're still alive that time so you can see more angst...
Feb 24, 2017 11:31 AM

Feb 2016
Johnnyd3rp said:
The real question is:

You forgot to add robots. Can't make a good war anime without kids fucking shit up in giant robots :D
Feb 24, 2017 11:39 AM

Dec 2016
_Ako_ said:
Don't worry dude, you'll get more once the WW III is done.

As long as Japan doesn't get hit by another nuke.

What's the difference?
Feb 24, 2017 11:40 AM

Feb 2013
_Ako_ said:
Don't worry dude, you'll get more once the WW III is done. I hope you're still alive that time so you can see more angst...
if japan wins then we will get more anime and have state mandated catgirl maids
Feb 24, 2017 11:45 AM

Sep 2016
OneNaughtyBear said:
Johnnyd3rp said:
The real question is:

You forgot to add robots. Can't make a good war anime without kids fucking shit up in giant robots :D

Wait, there are studios that still think giant robot+war is a good idea?

Feb 24, 2017 11:45 AM

Feb 2015
Gohdhand said:
_Ako_ said:
Don't worry dude, you'll get more once the WW III is done.

As long as Japan doesn't get hit by another nuke.

Lol... You do have a point there... There's no meaning if Japan lost early...xD

romagia said:
_Ako_ said:

I can't wait for it m8... xD

I need my tsundere maid now... xD
Feb 24, 2017 12:00 PM

Oct 2014
KazuyaKujo said:
Almost 200 of the anime with the military tag also have the mecha tag so pretty much all of the remaining ones would have to be WWII for that to be true. I guess it wouldn't be impossible to have a WWII mecha anime, but it just sounds like an odd combination.
Feb 24, 2017 12:11 PM

Apr 2016
There are almost as many military shows as there are mecha anime...plenty. (Code Geass franchise,every Gundam ever that isn't SD, Gunpla, or Build Fighters, which is...at least 30, Macross franchise)

Besides, I don't know now if you've noticed, but 430 is still a lot of anime under one genre. There are plenty of anime with less, like Horror and CGDCT.
Feb 24, 2017 12:11 PM

May 2016
Well, you don't have to completely trust genres in MAL. Shingeki no Kyojin is military but it isn't marked as one.
Feb 24, 2017 12:28 PM

Sep 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
There are almost as many military shows as there are mecha anime...plenty. (Code Geass franchise,every Gundam ever that isn't SD, Gunpla, or Build Fighters, which is...at least 30, Macross franchise)

Besides, I don't know now if you've noticed, but 430 is still a lot of anime under one genre. There are plenty of anime with less, like Horror and CGDCT.

Or martial arts, that has 267, What's GCDCT?

Still, most are from the common franchises, no stand-alones.

Feb 24, 2017 12:28 PM

Feb 2010
430 is plenty. It's one of my favorite genres and I never felt undersupplied.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 24, 2017 12:29 PM

Sep 2016
SuzuMine-chan said:
Well, you don't have to completely trust genres in MAL. Shingeki no Kyojin is military but it isn't marked as one.

For me it's more survival with superpowers in a military setting, but not war.

Feb 24, 2017 12:30 PM
Jan 2016
romagia said:
_Ako_ said:

That's a cause I'm willing to fight for.
Feb 24, 2017 12:32 PM

Apr 2016
Noesnecesario said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Yup. CGDCT stands for Cute Gurls Doing Cute Things.
Feb 24, 2017 12:35 PM

Sep 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
Noesnecesario said:

Ah, yes, the ever-hated moe genre, so many people shitting on it and so many new shows still coming out.

Feb 24, 2017 12:36 PM

Apr 2016
Noesnecesario said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Ah, yes, the ever-hated moe genre, so many people shitting on it and so many new shows still coming out.
It's tied with moe but is still a separate genre. Kinda like mecha and military. We just come to associate the two.
Feb 24, 2017 12:36 PM

Sep 2016
rsc-pl said:
Because, maybe, I don't care about military and I don't like this stuff?

Yeah, I don't either (Mostly), but had curiosity.

Feb 24, 2017 12:39 PM

Sep 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
Noesnecesario said:

It's tied with moe but is still a separate genre. Kinda like mecha and military. We just come to associate the two.

I'm 99'999999998% sure moe means cute.

Feb 24, 2017 12:39 PM

Nov 2009
Noesnecesario said:
I'm currently enjoying Youjo Senki and came to me the thought that I don't see any series that has war as it's main focus, so I went to the military section of the anime search and found out that there's only 430 titles in it.

Let me ask you this: how can you make war interesting after 430 titles about war were already drawn? Bonus hardship points for Japanese losing the most recent big war, and government not sponsoring you much.

Let me tell you the worst problem straight away: people who get to fight on the front lines are not the people who get to make important decisions back in the headquarters.
Feb 24, 2017 12:40 PM

Apr 2016
Noesnecesario said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

As stated before, tied together, not the same. Plus, moe includes boys, too.
Feb 24, 2017 12:45 PM

Sep 2016
flannan said:
Noesnecesario said:

Let me ask you this: how can you make war interesting after 430 titles about war were already drawn? Bonus hardship points for Japanese losing the most recent big war, and government not sponsoring you much.

Let me tell you the worst problem straight away: people who get to fight on the front lines are not the people who get to make important decisions back in the headquarters.

As stated above, adding things to it (such as mecha or superpowers), or to put an example I would gladly see an anime about a middle age war or about greek or roman battles.

Feb 24, 2017 12:46 PM

Sep 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
Noesnecesario said:

Is more like CGDCT is moe and moe is not only CGDCT.

Feb 24, 2017 12:47 PM

Apr 2016
Noesnecesario said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Is more like CGDCT is moe and moe is not only CGDCT.
Basically, hence why they are two different genres. It's like the rectangle and the square.
Feb 24, 2017 12:51 PM

Feb 2010
Noesnecesario said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

It doesn't though. Kawaii already means cute in japanese.
Moe "is a Japanese slang loanword that refers to feelings of strong affection mainly towards characters in anime, manga, and video games. Moe, however, has also gained usage to refer to feelings of affection towards any subject."

Moe used in slang refers to feelings of affection, adoration, devotion, and excitement that embodies characters that appear in manga, anime, or video games, into enforcing who they are. Characters that elicit feelings of moe are called "moe characters." The word has also evolved to be used regarding all kinds of topics. Included in the meaning of the word is the idea that "deep feelings felt towards a particular subject" is used in cases where a simple "like" is not enough to express the feeling. The common feature in all feelings of moe is that the subject of such feelings are things that one cannot possibly have a real relationship with, like fictional characters, idols, or inorganic substances. It can be considered a kind of "pseudo-romance," but it is not always seen to be the same as "romance."

These are just wiki quotes but they're accurate.

Literally everything can be moe in anime, but also tons of cute characters aren't moe for me because I don't feel anything for them. It's a very subjective term.
Feb 24, 2017 12:53 PM

Nov 2009
Noesnecesario said:
flannan said:

As stated above, adding things to it (such as mecha or superpowers),

As it has been said, most of these anime already have mecha or superpowers.

Noesnecesario said:
or to put an example I would gladly see an anime about a middle age war or about greek or roman battles.

Can't help you with greek battles, but 100-years war is featured in Maria the Virgin Witch. I've heard that it is depicted pretty accurately, apart from the moments where armies get crushed by magic.
Feb 24, 2017 12:55 PM

Sep 2016
Pullman said:
Noesnecesario said:

Moe "is a Japanese slang loanword that refers to feelings of strong affection mainly towards characters in anime, manga, and video games. Moe, however, has also gained usage to refer to feelings of affection towards any subject."

Moe used in slang refers to feelings of affection, adoration, devotion, and excitement that embodies characters that appear in manga, anime, or video games, into enforcing who they are. Characters that elicit feelings of moe are called "moe characters." The word has also evolved to be used regarding all kinds of topics. Included in the meaning of the word is the idea that "deep feelings felt towards a particular subject" is used in cases where a simple "like" is not enough to express the feeling. The common feature in all feelings of moe is that the subject of such feelings are things that one cannot possibly have a real relationship with, like fictional characters, idols, or inorganic substances. It can be considered a kind of "pseudo-romance," but it is not always seen to be the same as "romance."

Literally everything can be moe in anime, but also tons of cute characters aren't moe for me because I don't feel anything for them. It's a very subjective term.

Just a manner of speaking, I already know moe means cute.

Feb 24, 2017 12:58 PM

Sep 2016
flannan said:
Noesnecesario said:

As stated above, adding things to it (such as mecha or superpowers),

As it has been said, most of these anime already have mecha or superpowers.

Noesnecesario said:
or to put an example I would gladly see an anime about a middle age war or about greek or roman battles.

Can't help you with greek battles, but 100-years war is featured in Maria the Virgin Witch. I've heard that it is depicted pretty accurately, apart from the moments where armies get crushed by magic.

Yeah, I have it in my PTW list, surprised it's accurate, I thought it was just a magic anime, more reasons to watch it.

Feb 24, 2017 12:58 PM

Oct 2014
Johnnyd3rp said:
The real question is:

Well, firstly it is because anime cannot easily be written to portray a story as such. Of course art style and the like don't help and so they cannot be taken very seriously.

More importantly, they probably won't sell. People tend to get bored to death by serious stories without any traces of comedy, which what a serious war drama should be.

Lastly, anime is its own thing and does not need to abide by any laws such as the need to produce more of any set of genre that never really existed in the first place in the medium. In my opinion, I am alright with there not being many which fall under this category but would appreciate a fresh one produced every now and then.
Feb 24, 2017 1:03 PM

Feb 2010
Noesnecesario said:
Pullman said:

Okay if people still cling to their beliefs when I prove they are wrong there's not really much else I can do. Keep redefining words in your head and ignoring their actual meaning if you think that makes sense...
Feb 24, 2017 1:08 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Because its probably not as popular of a genre as you think it is. idk tbh
Feb 24, 2017 1:29 PM

Sep 2016
AntwanMantilla said:
Because its probably not as popular of a genre as you think it is. idk tbh

I've never thought nor stated it was popular, in fact I'm not a military fan.

Feb 24, 2017 1:31 PM

Sep 2016
Pullman said:
Noesnecesario said:

Okay if people still cling to their beliefs when I prove they are wrong there's not really much else I can do. Keep redefining words in your head and ignoring their actual meaning if you think that makes sense...

I really shouldn't have quoted the whole reply while I was just speaking about the first sentence, but you're right.

Feb 24, 2017 1:56 PM

Dec 2012
Modern warfare seems like a cultural phobia/taboo after World War II. Plus they don't have an active military force to base such movies on anyway, it was dismantled after WWII, they just have a national guard for national defense in case they are attacked.

Those who want to make them get around this by making "war" series/movies in historical fiction, fantasy, or science fiction environments and setting instead.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 24, 2017 2:12 PM

Jan 2016
Kruszer said:
Modern warfare seems like a cultural phobia/taboo after World War II. Plus they don't have an active military force to base such movies on anyway, it was dismantled after WWII, they just have a national guard for national defense in case they are attacked.

Those who want to make them get around this by making "war" series/movies in historical fiction, fantasy, or science fiction environments and setting instead.

Actually since the 2014 they have a bit more freedom and they can exercise military action if an allied country is attacked.

After the two japanese killed by the Isis things escalated even further.
Feb 24, 2017 2:24 PM

Sep 2014
Johnnyd3rp said:
The real question is:

After reading some replies for your post, I think we can improve the question again. In something like :

Why people still consider animations for "children" or "immature people"? Or
Anime isn't considered only for"children", does it?
Feb 24, 2017 2:25 PM

Dec 2016
I think one of the big reasons to why this genre isn't more "vast" is because it isn't "based" on a lot of things.
These are kinda the categories of military anime:
1) Mecha-Most Mecha anime are also military, cause robots cost a lot of money, and it makes sense that a military will buy and build them.

2) Old wars-There are two types of old wars, the ones who took place in Japan, which are samurai anime for the most part, and ones that wasn't in Japan, that can only have one anime per war (for reasons that I can't explain yet still make sense)

3) Modern Wars-WWII is the only modern/big war that Japan fought (and also lost), so this is probably the only "modern war" military anime we will get out of Japan.

Also, I am not talkin about shows like FMA which have military, but it isn't the main focus of the anime.
So all in all, we probably won't get any 'CoD-the anime' any time soon.......

shit!! he got me! that fucking Poly
boomed me! he's so good! (x4)
Feb 24, 2017 3:12 PM

Apr 2015
Because 'war is bad'!

It's actually probably got alot to do with War not being suitable for a wish-fulfillment show. I'll also hazard a guess that a significant number of people who make anime (and the mediums that anime is based off of, Manga, VN, and LN) don't understand war tactics. And even amongst those who don't understand tactics, they probably don't care about investing in learning said tactics.

And that war in general is pretty dry and dark.
Good thing I like dry and dark things. #nolube
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 24, 2017 3:28 PM
May 2015
You know, as a military enthusiast, I've always wondered why anime doesn't have a lot of military anime..

It's probably because Japan is a pacifist country...Or Japan is more interested in oversexualized teenage girls than military like we do in the West.

Feb 24, 2017 4:01 PM

Sep 2016
jc9622 said:
Or Japan is more interested in oversexualized teenage girls than military like we do in the West.

That's actually the most original reason in all the thread and the most believable apart of "War does not make money". Thanks.

Feb 24, 2017 4:15 PM
Jul 2018
430 is actually a good amount of titles to be honest.
Well regardless, as to why there are so "few" series that have war as their main focus? That can easily be answered by the simply fact that the majority of watchers don't find military type shows to be that interesting by itself to begin with, and without having some sort of supernatural elements is hard for a military anime to gather a wider audience.
removed-userFeb 24, 2017 4:22 PM
Feb 24, 2017 4:19 PM

Apr 2012
anime does have a lot of military themed anime except most of them suck dick

Feb 24, 2017 4:28 PM

Sep 2016
SeidouTZ said:
430 is actually a good amount of titles to be honest.
Well regardless, as to why there are so "few" series that have war as their main focus? That can easily be answered by the simply fact that the majority of watchers don't find military type shows to be that interesting by itself to begin with, and without having some sort of supernatural elements is hard for a military anime to gather a wider audience.

That was my guess, but a I thought if there was any specific reason. Still, true.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 22 minutes ago

8 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

57 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 7 hours ago

17 by LeonhartAugust »»
4 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 6 minutes ago

0 by EverRealm »»
6 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

57 by shin0by »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.