Forum Settings
Forums

Anime That Did English Dubbing So Good You can't Watch It Subbed (a little bit about clannad)

New
Feb 4, 2017 11:32 PM

Oct 2016
As you know watching anime subbed is a priority to most people including myself, but there are only a select few anime that touched my heart that I would prefer to watch in English because the English voice actors put so much emotion into the dubbing of the series that I just can't go back. The anime Clannad and Clannad After Story hold special places in rankings for me because Tomoyo's voice actor did such a good job that I would even go as far as saying it competes with the original Japanese voice actor. When the sad scenes come he really brings out the depressing mood so it feels like it's as if you are Tomoyo yourself and you start to feel for the character. On a random side note I also think that Sonohara's Voice is hilarious but not annoying because it fits the character. Great dub.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 4, 2017 11:41 PM

Oct 2016
SeasonADay said:
As you know watching anime subbed is a priority to most people including myself, but there are only a select few anime that touched my heart that I would prefer to watch in English because the English voice actors put so much emotion into the dubbing of the series that I just can't go back. The anime Clannad and Clannad After Story hold special places in rankings for me because Tomoyo's voice actor did such a good job that I would even go as far as saying it competes with the original Japanese voice actor. When the sad scenes come he really brings out the depressing mood so it feels like it's as if you are Tomoyo yourself and you start to feel for the character. On a random side note I also think that Sonohara's Voice is hilarious but not annoying because it fits the character. Great dub.

Are you for real ???

The dub voice actors don't even come close to the original artists in Clannad.
Have you watched episode 18 of Clannad AS , Ushio's voice actor was one of the two reasons that made the episode epic. The english version failed to create such epicness.

And regarding your question, there is only one anime for me whose dub was better than the original version is Death Note. Light's voice actor was so brilliant
that it made the show so memorable.
I can't think of any other anime though.
Feb 4, 2017 11:44 PM

Oct 2016
Animelia99 said:
SeasonADay said:

Are you for real ???

Have you watched episode 18 of Clannad AS , Ushio's voice actor was one of the two reasons that made the episode epic. The english version failed to create such epicness.

And regarding your question, there is only one anime for me whose dub was better than the original version is Death Note. Light's voice actor was so brilliant

I like the dub ones they did a really good job. They did much better then most anime. The parents are really funny in the dub if you remember. I would agree with you on death note. Also code geass
Feb 4, 2017 11:51 PM

Oct 2016
SeasonADay said:
Animelia99 said:

Are you for real ???

I like the dub ones they did a really good job. They did much better then most anime. The parents are really funny in the dub if you remember. I would agree with you on death note. Also code geass

Well , each one of has different views but seriously, you should start watching the original versions rather than the dubbed ones. English versions sometimes destroys the whole anime.
Feb 4, 2017 11:52 PM
Mar 2016
Only anime I`ve ever watched dubbed was Madoka Magica so I guess I liked it.
I didn`t watch Death Note dubbed but I`ve heard few parts in English and they were great.
Feb 5, 2017 12:05 AM

May 2015
Most of the anime that I prefer watching dubbed are the ones I saw back in the day.

Slayers is one anime where I will almost always choose the dub over the sub. While the Japanese voices sound great, they don't replace how well the English voices were done. In fact, I wouldn't be looking at the characters the same way if I only saw the sub. The Dragon Slave Incantation, Xellos' "secrets", and Amelia's "heroism" voiced in English made it one of the most memorable anime for me.

Another anime where I would rather watch it dubbed rather than subbed is Inuyasha particularly because of one specific scene where the English voice acting just nails it.

Another exception would be Persona 4: The Animation, but that's because I grew accustomed to the English voices while I was playing the game.
Feb 5, 2017 12:09 AM

Aug 2013
There is no such thing in this universe.
Also, Clannad dub was HORRIFIC, that name pronunciation, I want to puke now.
rsc-plFeb 5, 2017 12:12 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 5, 2017 12:22 AM

Dec 2015
I didn't watch much dubbed anime but I watched FMAB's dub and I gotta say, I'll take the dub over the sub anyday! The dub nailed everything imho and after watching the dub, I saw the sub and oh my, it was sooo shit (Japanese voice) that I had to stop!

Anyways, I also watched like 12 eps of Monster in dubbed and yeah, I enjoyed it too (Sub ain't that bad though).
Feb 5, 2017 12:25 AM

Oct 2016
Animelia99 said:
SeasonADay said:

Well , each one of has different views but seriously, you should start watching the original versions rather than the dubbed ones. English versions sometimes destroys the whole anime.
I thought I made it clear in my post that I don't watch english dubs. The only english dubs I have watched are code Geass, Death Note, And Clannad
Feb 5, 2017 12:37 AM

Oct 2016
rsc-pl said:
There is no such thing in this universe.
Also, Clannad dub was HORRIFIC, that name pronunciation, I want to puke now.
Don't watch it. Bug off. Your opinion js worth as much as your top manga. Nothing.
Feb 5, 2017 12:42 AM

Sep 2015
Good dubs? Bahahahahahaha, I'm laughing so hard that milk is coming out of my nose. Great joke, for a second there I thought this was serious.
Feb 5, 2017 1:12 AM

Oct 2016
Dubs are not perfect. Clannad's dub was not perfect. However, Clannad's dub does deserve praise. Anyone who disagrees is just looking to pointlessly argue and troll.
Feb 5, 2017 1:13 AM

Dec 2015
Only watched Blood+ dubbed while fully aware there is a subbed version, but that's years ago so I don't really remember if it's any good. The others (Gundam Wing, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z) are childhood series so I don't really count them.
Feb 5, 2017 1:18 AM

Apr 2011
The only good dubs I've heard are from stuff that have over 10x the budget of your average anime, i.e. stuff like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, etc. Also, stop being salty. You created a thread in a forum that is meant to discuss, so stop being butthurt that there are people who don't agree with you.
Feb 5, 2017 1:20 AM

Aug 2013
SeasonADay said:
Clannad's dub does deserve praise. Anyone who disagrees is just looking to pointlessly argue and troll.

SeasonADay said:
Your opinion js worth as much as your top manga. Nothing.

Look at me, my opinion/taste is perfect, and anyone who disagree is a troll
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 5, 2017 1:25 AM

Oct 2015
i dont watch dubs but dub of dragon ball is just amazing compared to its sub
Feb 5, 2017 1:25 AM

Jul 2016
I typically prefer to watch an anime subbed but I have seen a few anime that have fantastic English dubs that surpass the Japanese dub. A few examples are Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, Black Lagoon, and Dragon Ball Z.
Feb 5, 2017 3:26 AM

Oct 2013
its nice to see a fellow person who likes watching Clannad in english

Well of the shows that Ive watched in both Japanese and English the only show that really comes to mind is B-gata H-kei since I just find it funnier in english and watch that version now every time I rewatch the show
Feb 5, 2017 3:28 AM

Jan 2010
Can't say I've found an anime where I've preferred the dub after hearing the sub, but there are a handful of dubs that I enjoy or feel come close to the tone of the original. I'd probably consider Cowboy Bebop's dub to be the best out of them.
Feb 5, 2017 3:31 AM
Apr 2016
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood has a splendidly done Dub.
Feb 5, 2017 3:32 AM
Apr 2016
nougat said:
Can't say I've found an anime where I've preferred the dub after hearing the sub, but there are a handful of dubs that I enjoy or feel come close to the tone of the original. I'd probably consider Cowboy Bebop's dub to be the best out of them.
Yes! Cowboy Bebop's Dub is really dope,no bout about that.
Feb 5, 2017 3:34 AM

Jun 2015
I liked Kaze no Stigma's english dub, because Kazuma basically runs the show and his dubbed voice is better than the sub.

As for others, Hetalia and Ghost stories, but that's because they parody the whole shows, and not the dub itself.
Feb 5, 2017 3:44 AM

Jun 2014
Bebop, FMA, Panty and Stocking all pass the originals!

DBZ's dub is overhyped because it adds so many plotholes that are dub exclusive.
Feb 5, 2017 5:25 AM

Oct 2016
I prefer Golden Boy dubbed
Feb 5, 2017 5:47 AM

Jun 2015
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Samurai Champloo
Space Dandy
Psycho Pass
Code Geass
Black Lagoon
Ergo Proxy
Monster
Death Note
Haruhi Suzumiya series
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Kiki's Delivery Service
D-Frag!
Akuma no Riddle
Toradora!
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Kill la Kill
Soul Eater
Darker Than Black
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Keijo!!!!!!!!
No Game No Life
Dimension W
Baccano!
Kino's Journey
Berserk
Texhnolyze
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Haibane Renmei
Guilty Crown
Angel Beats!
Sword of the Stranger
One Punch Man
Binbougami ga!
High School of the Dead
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
Parasyte
K-On!
Spice and Wolf
WataMote
Eve no Jikan (movie)
Fate/Zero
FLCL
Mushishi
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
Dagashi Kashi
Steins;Gate
AltoRoarkFeb 5, 2017 5:58 AM
Feb 5, 2017 5:54 AM

Jan 2016
I like the english dubbed version of Space Dandy more than the subbed one.
Feb 5, 2017 7:04 AM
Oct 2016
Yu Yu Hakusho. I met Chuck Huber and literally cried because of how much I loved his voice as Hiei. Also, Space Dandy.
jayhieiFeb 5, 2017 7:08 AM
Feb 5, 2017 8:05 AM

Feb 2015
The voice acting in clannad if really really bad.
Feb 5, 2017 8:31 AM

Feb 2010
Tarotist said:
Most of the anime that I prefer watching dubbed are the ones I saw back in the day.

Slayers is one anime where I will almost always choose the dub over the sub. While the Japanese voices sound great, they don't replace how well the English voices were done. In fact, I wouldn't be looking at the characters the same way if I only saw the sub. The Dragon Slave Incantation, Xellos' "secrets", and Amelia's "heroism" voiced in English made it one of the most memorable anime for me.

I just watched all of Slayers last year and still opted for the dub after switching between the audio tracks for the first couple of episodes. There just isn't anything bad about it, everyone does a good job and some characters I even liked much more in the dub, like Naga for example. Her laughter in the dub is more obnoxious than in the original, it's just perfect. It definitely still holds up imo.

I generally found myself enjoying the dubs for 90s stuff the most. Bebop's always been a favorite, but it's been longer franchises like Slayers and You're Under Arrest that made me have some real fun with 90s dubs recently.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 5, 2017 9:02 AM

Mar 2008
Baccano! with the English dub is perfection. I can never go back to the Japanese dub again.
Feb 5, 2017 9:11 AM

Feb 2016
Clannad and its sequel are so bad that you cannot watch them either way.
Feb 5, 2017 9:16 AM
Jul 2016
For me the first one to come to mind is Steins;Gate. I tried watching the sub after watching the dub, and couldn't make it past the first couple of episodes.

Then again, there aren't many voice actors on either side of the pond who can best John Michael Tatum in my view, particularly when he's given a great role.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Feb 5, 2017 9:16 AM

Aug 2013
The Japanese language is very vocal, and the animation is made to fit that.
When dubbed to English all those squeaks, grunts and other noises just sound weird.
The animation needs to be edited for it to sound "Proper English" and no one gives a shit enough.

I guess an anime like Clannad had those noises at a minimum, or maybe it was edited a bit idk.
Feb 5, 2017 11:06 AM

Jun 2007
While I have watched plenty of anime for the first time in English (and not just the childhood/mainstream stuff), I don't think I've ever encountered anything that I couldn't watch subbed. I figure if I got through the Japanese version of Ghost Stories after seeing the much funnier English dub first, I can handle anything. There are a few shows like Generator Gawl and Orphen, both of which had the same ADR director as Ghost Stories, that I'm a bit reluctant to rewatch subbed, but I'm sure I can take it once I get around to rewatching them. Part of that is because I had the subtitles on while watching in English, and got to feeling that the Japanese scripts weren't as compelling or entertaining.

As for Clannad, I've only seen the first season in English. While the dub does have some name pronunciation issues, I'd say it was okay overall. Maybe I just don't subscribe to the rigidity mentality ("They emphasized the wrong syllable in a name and now I can't stop cringing!") that some adhere to. Though in terms of ADV/Sentai dubs of KEY/Maeda shows, imo Kanon's dub was better, as it was released in the single-volume era and had a better director and more budget to work with.

Valenthius said:
When dubbed to English all those squeaks, grunts and other noises just sound weird.
The animation needs to be edited for it to sound "Proper English" and no one gives a shit enough.

I guess an anime like Clannad had those noises at a minimum, or maybe it was edited a bit idk.
English dubs don't edit the animation, as it'd take too much time and effort. But they do fit the mouth flaps as well or better than the Japanese audio tracks, because they have more time to adapt the scripts to match the lip movements. The majority of anime voice recording in Japanese is not done "pre-lay," where actors record lines and animators craft the animation to fit the performances, as is often the case in Western animation. Rather, the voice work gets recorded to animation in some stage of completion, sometimes with just rough-cut animation or even storyboards, thanks to the time and budget pressures of the TV anime production schedule. Higher-budget movies and OVAs may be a different story.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Feb 5, 2017 11:26 AM

Aug 2013
Zalis said:
Valenthius said:

English dubs don't edit the animation, as it'd take too much time and effort. But they do fit the mouth flaps as well or better than the Japanese audio tracks, because they have more time to adapt the scripts to match the lip movements. The majority of anime voice recording in Japanese is not done "pre-lay," where actors record lines and animators craft the animation to fit the performances, as is often the case in Western animation. Rather, the voice work gets recorded to animation in some stage of completion, sometimes with just rough-cut animation or even storyboards, thanks to the time and budget pressures of the TV anime production schedule. Higher-budget movies and OVAs may be a different story.

I know they don't edit the animation, and they probably never will, and that's why dubs suck and will most likely continue to suck.
I also know that the voice acting is the last thing that's produced in an anime, but the animation is still made for the characters to speak Japanese (Not the actual words as the mouth animation is usually very limited in TV anime, but to fit the before mentioned "vocals" that are very frequent in anime).
As for shows coming out with edited animation, i was thinking more that maybe this time, the dubbers edited the certain frames where the "vocals" are present in order to fit western dubs better, but that was merely speculation.
Feb 5, 2017 11:30 AM

Aug 2015
Baccano and DBZ. Why did they let Goku continually be voiced by an old woman? Isn't he an adult man?
Feb 5, 2017 11:30 AM

Aug 2016
Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) is the only one I can point out that I prefer more than the sub.
Maybe Soul Eater too and some voice actors in Case Closed but that's about it.
Feb 5, 2017 11:32 AM

Dec 2014
Panty and Stocking is the only one even close to that. There are really good english dubs such as Suzumiya or Cowboy Bebop, but english isn't even my first language and spanish dubs are painfully bad, so I'd rather just watch it in japanese.
Feb 5, 2017 11:37 AM

Sep 2012
>Dub
>Good
>Clannad

That title is so wrong.
Feb 5, 2017 11:37 AM

Jul 2014
A public service announcement for Obligatory #SubsMasterRace.
Feb 5, 2017 12:02 PM

Oct 2016
SeasonADay said:
Animelia99 said:

Are you for real ???

Code geass has fcking fukuyama jun.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2017 12:14 PM

Feb 2017
Can't say if it's any better or not, but Lucky Star is my favourite dub. I've seen both the sub and the dub and I can say despite some weird script bits (for instance, them using -chan and -san which seems weird to me in English) the VA's do a great job.
Feb 5, 2017 1:02 PM

Apr 2015
Yu Yu Hakusho would be my first in such a list. I've watched it in 3 languages and love the English dub the most (even if it was the last language I saw it in).
Feb 5, 2017 10:39 PM

Feb 2015
sasalx said:
>Dub
>Good
>Clannad

That title is so wrong.

Dude, calm down, we're still not talking about the story of the series, just the VA and stuff... xD

Hold your horses... We'll come to that.. eventually...
Feb 5, 2017 10:45 PM

Feb 2015
You couldn't pay me to watch AoT, Princess Mononoke, Cowboy Bebop, or the original 4Kids Pokemon subbed. To me they are the best dubs out there atm (plus from what I've seen so far).
LunarianFeb 5, 2017 10:51 PM
Feb 5, 2017 10:48 PM

Aug 2016
I watched clannad dubbed cuz I couldn't stand Negisa's voice in Japanese. I thought the dub was pretty nice; I liked Sunahara's voice.
Feb 5, 2017 11:24 PM

Jan 2015
There's quite a few that I prefer dubbed.
Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Panty & Stocking, Black Lagoon, Spice and Wolf, Hellsing, Space Dandy, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusho.

Also, Clannad's dub is horrible. You can't be serious.
Feb 6, 2017 12:20 AM

May 2015
I first watched Medabots dubbed and I continued since then. The dub is fantastic and the anime has a cartoonish nature anyway that goes well with it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 6, 2017 1:15 AM

Oct 2014
Space Dandy's Japanese voice-acting is surprisingly plain and the dialogue (according to the subs) also pretty average. The English dub is the ONLY way to watch the show. Sometimes, I even forget I'm watching a Japanese animation and not a Western one.
Feb 6, 2017 1:17 AM

Dec 2015
FMA:B did an awesome job, also Bleach and Kuroshitsuji.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The most overrated characters that everyone loves ( 1 2 3 )

Lizz_Aleister - Dec 1, 2020

116 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
47 seconds ago

Poll: » Is the term “weeb” offensive?

kusairo - Yesterday

40 by TheMechaManiac »»
4 minutes ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - May 9

81 by Ratris_Decision »»
12 minutes ago

» Birthday gifts!!!

Yonahim_Zz - 8 hours ago

21 by Serafos »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you guys pretend to hate anime?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

14 by HigherLvLThinker »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.