Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Oct 8, 2016 8:59 PM

Dec 2013
Like everyone else is saying, I love the OP and ED; in both of them, the music really captures some pleasant feelings that I feel are going to be very prominent in this anime. They're both fun and emotional at the same time. The OP is very simple yet still entertaining, while the ED is fun and makes me love characters I haven't even really gotten to know yet.

That aside, I'm excited for this one! I was a little bit hesitant at some parts of this episode; I wasn't expecting the more chibi-like Yuri to do the inner monologues/explanations, for example. However, I think that this kind of comedic technique, along with the other comedic parts of this episode, didn't overshadow the clearly more serious/emotional parts. It seems like there will be a nice balance of the two, which can go a long way in terms of plot.

As for the characters, I won't say much about them yet, but I will say that I am excited to get to know them as the show goes on. I'll definitely be watching next week!
Oct 8, 2016 9:16 PM
Apr 2016
I was hyped for this ever since it was announced. I was really excited for the animation and it has definitely lived up to my expectations. I can't wait to see more of the figure skating. it really is beautiful.
Oct 8, 2016 11:16 PM
Sep 2008
cucked and fucked fam
Oct 9, 2016 12:48 AM
May 2015
This is one of those animes that gives a fresh start on a new season. Definitely hoping that the whole series is going to good. And I really felt like Katsuki Yuri's character was definitely inspired by Yuzuru Hanyu since they both admire famous Russian skaters. The hype is real.
Oct 9, 2016 1:50 AM
Oct 2016
The first episode was really a grabber, even if it wasn't exactly exciting or anything, I simply just couldn't stop watching it. I have high expectations for this anime!!!
Oct 9, 2016 3:03 AM
Puddi Queen

Oct 2009
This series is going to be amazing!

The OP is so artsy with great music and the ED is even better, so catchy! I adored how mundane Yuuri is with his dream and efforts and depression, yet he finds that excitement once again and then VICTOR'S BUTT! Like, seriously, I did not expect Victor to be that flamboyant.

Who's truly complaining though, hohohohoho! (◞ꈍ∇ꈍ)◞⋆**
Oct 9, 2016 3:32 AM
Jun 2016
Any simular anime recomendations? Not nescarily sports, but just this quality of music, animation and story?
Oct 9, 2016 4:35 AM

Sep 2016
wolfwing said:
Any simular anime recomendations? Not nescarily sports, but just this quality of music, animation and story?
ginban kaleidoscope
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 9, 2016 4:46 AM

Oct 2008
amazing visuals. the colour palette is out of this world
Oct 9, 2016 5:09 AM

Apr 2009
Absolutely loved it. As a native Russian living in Japan, as a Suwabe fan, and ice skating fan. Definitely going to the anime event when they announce it.
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Oct 9, 2016 6:22 AM
Jun 2016
Ooh that exceeded my expectations, it was funny and charming. Dat soundtrack and choreography tho, epic OP and fresh, slice of life ED makes a good combination for a brilliant anime!
Oct 9, 2016 8:44 AM

Apr 2008
This was pretty good as far as first episodes go. I really enjoyed it.

Oct 9, 2016 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
Decent first ep, animation was mostly praiseworthy, surprised how much MAPPA kept things consistent. Story-wise, all i can say is this is new to anime, and nothing else.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 9, 2016 10:23 AM

Dec 2012
It was a good beginning. The performance are well animated, thanks Mappa, and I like the characters so far.
Good OP song
Oct 9, 2016 10:25 AM

Jun 2015
I loved everything about it. I expected it to be more like Haikyuu/Kuroko No Basket but it was refreshingly different. Great scenery, great characters and bad-ass OP and ED (which is an Instagram feed <3)

Can't wait for next week!
Oct 9, 2016 10:28 AM

May 2016
This was 10 times better than I imagined it to be, especially for the whole ice skating part (big fan here). Animation is flawless in terms of choreography and realism, OP is one of the best I've seen over the last few years, and ED is catchy too. I guess Victor is going to retire at the end of the series, 27 is already a problematic age for figure skating (at least for some people), so it would make sense that he's casting japanese Yuri for his team. I hope it will make sense in the end and isn't just "because" :/
Oct 9, 2016 11:14 AM

Dec 2009
i liked the first episode, i think it might by my first sports anime where the protagonist is not a high schooler XD and that makes it kinda refreshing (also that it's not a team sport)
i m also impressed by the animation, not only the fluent ice skating sequences, but also the colors used were really nice.
and i think i already like the main characters, i think they will have a nice dynamic together
I believe in karma what you give is what you get returned~ ♫
Oct 9, 2016 11:40 AM

Aug 2013
Meh, I don't like it.
Ok, art quality is awesome. Soundtrack is nice. But that's all. I don't like the direction. I don't like MC. I don't like fujo baits. Literally second from the end worst episode of this season which I watched (worse is only Touken Ranbu).
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 9, 2016 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
GangsterCat said:
OP is terrible but at least good visual right there
also, yaoi on ice

OP was terrible....... OK.
Oct 9, 2016 12:38 PM

Sep 2016
MiziTami said:
GangsterCat said:
OP is terrible but at least good visual right there
also, yaoi on ice

all english lyrics =/= good
especially with those shitty pauses after every single word
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 9, 2016 1:28 PM

Feb 2015
My smol angry Russian son, why are you so beautiful.
Oct 9, 2016 4:15 PM

Jan 2014
This anime was unexpectedly good. If the animation quality goes down next episode just blame all the animation budget they put on Victor's ass.
Oct 9, 2016 5:57 PM

May 2016
Love it!
Characters, art, first episode, opening and ending.
Love love LOVE IT!!
I believe it's an original anime so no manga.
So I'm totally excited for more episodes to come.
Oct 9, 2016 8:24 PM

Jul 2013
I didn't except the show to be so funny! The opening and ending are great as well! Can't wait to watch more~
Oct 9, 2016 9:14 PM

Apr 2016
Obviously it seems interesting and the animation is beautiful, but seriously why the gay?.
I'm mostly good with gay shit but it just comes off cheesy in this, like some fuji bait.
Man, I'll give it another week though.
Oct 9, 2016 11:51 PM

Mar 2015
****ing brilliant start; potential AOTS, and in spite of tropes, potentially AOTY? Great style and animation though the skating could use more frames, excellent backgrounds too. I have no strong opinions on yaoi bait but I think it's worth acknowledging that the yaoi bait undertones don't come at the expense of other facets of the show. Or at least they haven't yet.

All the elements are measured will and done well. From here is all about keeping consistent quality and hoping the writing and narrative head in a good direction. Can't wait for more.
Oct 10, 2016 3:06 AM
Jul 2018
GangsterCat said:
MiziTami said:

C'mooooooooonnnnn seriousllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? The lyrics are actually good :/

The pauses are negligible and help create a rising timber. What do you feel is wrong?
Oct 10, 2016 6:58 AM
Jul 2018
Great animation and I like how most of the characters are adults instead of teenagers.
Oct 10, 2016 7:52 AM

Sep 2015
I really loved it! The opening was awesome, the ending also.
Really good mix, the skating scenes were just stunning. This took my expectations and surpassed them. ^^"
Oct 10, 2016 9:15 AM

May 2016
Love this. Love the art too.

Great first episode.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Oct 10, 2016 10:19 AM

Aug 2015
This is a very good surprise.
And the animation is just awesome.
Oct 10, 2016 11:37 AM

Nov 2007
Had almost zero expectations coming into it and it already captured all my senses. I can already see myself enjoying this anime a lot! Transformation is on the cards. Watch out, Podium! Here comes Yuri!

Btw, the OPED are amazing.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 10, 2016 11:41 AM

Jul 2014
This has some real potential. I got all kinds of 'Your Lie in April' vibes.

Kinda surprised the main characters are all in their twenties (except for that 15 year old brat). I thought they would mainly be teens.

The slapstick comedy kinda took away the emotional impact of some of the more serious scenes imo..
Oct 10, 2016 2:50 PM

Aug 2015
The worst part of the episode was the OP. It was kinda cringey.
Aside from that, this is the clear AOTS. 9/10.
Oct 10, 2016 4:11 PM

Jun 2015
NovxM said:
This gon' be good. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
However, the end felt a bit rushed. The russian champion is already waving his naked butt in front of the main character in the first ep. And decides to be his coach even if they're supposed to be opponents. Idk. I guess asking for great art, animation, bishies AND a credible scenario is a bit too much. :>

I guess we'll see his reason and motivation for that in the second episode, I'm sure it'll make sense.
Oct 10, 2016 5:28 PM
Aug 2008
All these fucking homophobes, get the fuck over it, especially the hypocrite bitches that watch girls love yuri bait bullshit, like get over it. Don't like it? Don't watch.
Oct 10, 2016 8:03 PM
Nov 2015
If I may be so bold... I think Rakugo's position of AOTY is now jeopardized. What a... SOLID start.

(I'm going to ice-pun the hell out of these episode discussions)

4/5
Oct 11, 2016 3:28 AM

Mar 2008
Way better than I thought!
Oct 11, 2016 4:56 AM

Jan 2008
It's nice watching figure skating in anime. Oh, that toned muscles and butt of Victor were feast to the eyes. Hahaha
Oct 11, 2016 5:38 AM

Jun 2015
wolfwing said:

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Oct 11, 2016 10:48 AM
Aug 2014
laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate but!!!

-op was meh. there were repeated frames and the music wasn't my taste. but that happened to me with unravel so i listened to it again. and again. and again. is now slowly but surely becoming dear to my heart.

-lmao that guitar riff when yuri plisetsky (did i spell it right. crap) is kinda cringe.

-"BAAAAAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" lmao why does small people have rage that they can't reach. yurio may be angry but he had to tiptoe. good detail.

-i like yuri katsuki. i want to protect his smol version. i want to protect his chubby version. i feel his hardcore fanboy version. i like how he cried when he lost and said sorry to his mom. like, that's hard bro.

-also felt bad when senpai noticed him but thought he was a pleb that was after a commemorative photo :c

-haha holy crap. all those posters in the train station. must be embarassing.

-i like all the female characters. the ballet teacher is fun. parents look and act like parents. chubby mom is cute. childhood friend and three daughters were awesome

-triplets are probably the divine intervention Yuuri needed

-lmao any sign of yuri's heterosexual romance is destroyed. meanwhile, victor...

-"there's a russian guy in the onsen" *insert that spongebob meme here*

-Victor had too much death flags wtf.but I'm telling y'all now, most of the budget is spent on this guy. especially his CHISELED ASS. smh

-the ending. is so. fiiiiiiiiine. i love the music so much. even if there is not much animation, i lihe the art. the ed is hella gay like, washing each other's hair? BRO. chasing each other on the beach? BROO. combing the hair of your apprentice alone in soft lighting and y'all are completely off guard about it? BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

-i watched the PV so i know it was hella gay but this literally exceeded by expectations.

-the animation was *kisses tips of fingers* 999/10. looking forward to buying the bluray already. IT'S GONN BE GLORIOUS all for that chiseled ass, man

-wake me up when the next episode comes out i cannot live like this for a week

-if this ranting has not yet told you how i felt about the show then,
tl;dr 5/5 for a first episode. defo gonna be a good one. the fanservice was a plus ;) it doesn't really sacrifice anything in the show so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ not exactly a problem if u ask me
wtf im this is long
Oct 11, 2016 12:19 PM

Jul 2012
whoa--- i'm speechless. its way better than I expected it'll be! tbh the first episode get me like...... when I started watching KnB and Haikyuu!! man.. awesome.
Oct 11, 2016 8:30 PM

Sep 2011
Wanted to rewatch the final skating scene. Rewatched it. Proceeded to rewatch the entire episode. There is something ridiculously alluring about this series.

MiziTami said:
GangsterCat said:

C'mooooooooonnnnn seriousllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? The lyrics are actually good :/

The pauses are negligible and help create a rising timber. What do you feel is wrong?

I've actually got one foot in that boat. Originally I really liked the OP, so I purchased the song from iTunes. I listened to it probably 15 times since then and it has already lost its luster. This is significantly faster than most other songs I spontaneously pick up. The song sounds really good at first, but once you listen to it a few times you start picking up on some nuances that ruin the flow of the song. Here's a small list.

• Every syllable is accentuated.
  • There is a slight pause after each syllable as pointed out above. It works when used in small segments to create a certain effect, but if used throughout the song it makes it sound extremely choppy. It is akin to using dissonance throughout the entire song without any resonance. You are expecting a resolution but it never comes. Music needs to flow at some point, and this song doesn't let it happen.
  • Lyrical variation is absurdly low and pronunciation was inconsistent. That in itself is not a problem, but the few lyrics that were there were very Engrish in some parts and perfectly spoken in others.
  • The music is not as full as it could be. You either understand what this means or you don't. It is a concept that can't be explained in words and is something you naturally pick up. The best I could say is that there is a drop but it is very weak after hearing it more than once.

I still like the song, but it doesn't give the same satisfaction as when I heard it the first time.
Oct 11, 2016 10:42 PM
Jul 2018
First episode of the season for me and it was amazing.
I'm a fan of male figure skating, so I know a lot about it.
The fact that Yuri even got into the Grand Prix finals is an accomplishment in itself.
To be in the Grand Prix final you have to earn enough points from 6 other tournaments of which they may skate at 2 or 3 of them.
The top 6 skaters get chosen.
Therefore it bothered me when Victor didn't recognize Yuri after Yuri's loss. Maybe he just looks different than what he is on the ice. But everyone knows each other, very close knit, and if Yuri was in the Grand Prix you bet your ass Victor knew who he was.
The other issue I had was was watching Victor's and Yuri's program side by side.
You can tell Victors performance looked a lot smoother. Not because Victor was better, it's because you can tell they put a lot more money into it.
You can see the key frame of Yuri's skate, there was not enough inbetweens to make the animation smooth.
I hope they didn't put all their budget into the first episode because they are going to need it be smart their money in order to keep things consistent.
Figure skating is a huge huge huge sport in Japan, and is super competitive.
Just to make the roster in Japan makes you one of the best in the world already, it's that though.
I'm so happy that they made an anime of it and I can't wait to see more!!!
Oct 11, 2016 10:55 PM
Jul 2018
Shirasho said:
Wanted to rewatch the final skating scene. Rewatched it. Proceeded to rewatch the entire episode. There is something ridiculously alluring about this series.

MiziTami said:

I've actually got one foot in that boat. Originally I really liked the OP, so I purchased the song from iTunes. I listened to it probably 15 times since then and it has already lost its luster. This is significantly faster than most other songs I spontaneously pick up. The song sounds really good at first, but once you listen to it a few times you start picking up on some nuances that ruin the flow of the song. Here's a small list.

• Every syllable is accentuated.
  • There is a slight pause after each syllable as pointed out above. It works when used in small segments to create a certain effect, but if used throughout the song it makes it sound extremely choppy. It is akin to using dissonance throughout the entire song without any resonance. You are expecting a resolution but it never comes. Music needs to flow at some point, and this song doesn't let it happen.
  • Lyrical variation is absurdly low and pronunciation was inconsistent. That in itself is not a problem, but the few lyrics that were there were very Engrish in some parts and perfectly spoken in others.
  • The music is not as full as it could be. You either understand what this means or you don't. It is a concept that can't be explained in words and is something you naturally pick up. The best I could say is that there is a drop but it is very weak after hearing it more than once.

I still like the song, but it doesn't give the same satisfaction as when I heard it the first time.

I was gonna lash out but I would be lying if I said I didn't disagree. I don't pay deep attention as deep as your, especially in openings because it makes you critical of it and shit but that line where you said that by listening to it each time, it loses its charm. That man is totally correct ;_;

I listened to it so many times now that I was afraid I wouldn't enjoy it like I did the first time when I watched the episode.

That said, I think the ED REALLYYYYY nails it. bruh Instagram + JPOP + Animu? Instant follow!

Occultic;Nine ED is also on my repeat list. Dayummmm I think O;C9 ED> Yuri ED. Have listened to it?
Oct 11, 2016 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
seal308 said:
First episode of the season for me and it was amazing.
I'm a fan of male figure skating, so I know a lot about it.
The fact that Yuri even got into the Grand Prix finals is an accomplishment in itself.
To be in the Grand Prix final you have to earn enough points from 6 other tournaments of which they may skate at 2 or 3 of them.
The top 6 skaters get chosen.
Therefore it bothered me when Victor didn't recognize Yuri after Yuri's loss. Maybe he just looks different than what he is on the ice. But everyone knows each other, very close knit, and if Yuri was in the Grand Prix you bet your ass Victor knew who he was.
The other issue I had was was watching Victor's and Yuri's program side by side.
You can tell Victors performance looked a lot smoother. Not because Victor was better, it's because you can tell they put a lot more money into it.
You can see the key frame of Yuri's skate, there was not enough inbetweens to make the animation smooth.
I hope they didn't put all their budget into the first episode because they are going to need it be smart their money in order to keep things consistent.
Figure skating is a huge huge huge sport in Japan, and is super competitive.
Just to make the roster in Japan makes you one of the best in the world already, it's that though.
I'm so happy that they made an anime of it and I can't wait to see more!!!

ooooooo Thanks for dat info =u=
Oct 11, 2016 11:06 PM
Jul 2018
MiziTami said:

No problem. I'm not a skater so I don't know all the technical differences between the jumps etc
But I do know more than the average person, know the trends, who's on top etc
It was cool to see how they incorporated some of the signature moves of former skaters into Victor's program.
I noticed they used some signature spins from one of my favorite skaters, Stephane Lambiel.
If you have any questions, just send me a message, and I'll try to answer them.
Oct 11, 2016 11:17 PM
Jul 2018
seal308 said:
MiziTami said:

No problem. I'm not a skater so I don't know all the technical differences between the jumps etc
But I do know more than the average person, know the trends, who's on top etc
It was cool to see how they incorporated some of the signature moves of former skaters into Victor's program.
I noticed they used some signature spins from one of my favorite skaters, Stephane Lambiel.
If you have any questions, just send me a message, and I'll try to answer them.

Dayum thanks for that! I will keep that in mind ^^
Oct 12, 2016 4:56 AM
Dec 2010
I loved it! It was funny and cute, I liked all of the characters right away :) Can't wait for more! On that note, does anyone know when ep2 comes out? I tried searching but couldn't find any info..
Oct 12, 2016 8:40 AM

Aug 2008
My only complaint is that it's not nearly as gay as I want it to be *sobs/sobs*. On the other hand, I think it shows some potential and it might be bound to be an entertaining anime to watch. I've liked the first episode quite a lot and I don't dislike the characters. Viktor is probably the most attractive character thus far, but I take some interest in the ”other” Yuri as well... he seems like a fun character (with personality issues; which is great, hehe). I was not intrigued by Viktor's decision to ”couch” Yuri-japanese, since it was quite predictable from the teaser and such. However, I do like the development.

And, let us all take a moment and applaud Viktor's ass.
Thank you very much.
鳥はとぶ時
つばさでとぶが
あなたはとぶ時
何でとぶのですか?
Terayama Shuji
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» A petition was made to save the movie

Old_School_Akira - Apr 23

12 by kihel »»
Apr 25, 12:10 AM

» Movie got cancelled ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 18

55 by BishopBriggs »»
Apr 24, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

474 by yourlocalworm »»
Apr 19, 10:07 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2016

205 by ZolaZodiac »»
Mar 20, 5:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2016

235 by Musical_grl »»
Mar 16, 3:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.