Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Nodame Cantabile
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 11, 2011 6:37 PM

Feb 2009
Another great episode. Loved Nodame's reaction to the news that Chiaki wouldn't be coming, and her playing in the split dress.

I actually understand Chiaki's spur-of-the-moment decision. I think he's been scared of meeting Vierra (Viella?) because he thought he doesn't mean anything to his revered sensei. We saw that in a previous episode when Chiaki was surprised Vierra even remembered him. And I guess Vierra has been kind of a father figure for Chiaki, seeing what we know about his actual father.

The scene when they hugged on the bus was to me one of the most touching moments I've seen in a while. I think Chiaki would never have gone to meet him if they hadn't met accidentally, thinking that he still wasn't good enough. He probably never would have felt up to it, as you could see during that scene - Chiaki was frozen to the spot, and it was Vierra rushing to greet him.

Really hope Nodame understands, though. And it would have been nice if he could have been there. But he's missing the forest of perverts! That's a good sign. And of course I too just loved the Nodame & Butler moment.
Apr 22, 2011 3:31 AM

Dec 2009
Poor Nodame.Chiaki should not break his promise to Nodame like that.Fortunately Nodame still can perform well.She is one more step closer to become a pro.
NelieiApr 22, 2011 5:28 AM

Apr 27, 2011 5:53 PM
Jul 2018
nodame is maturing very well - this season is very very good
Jun 30, 2011 9:19 PM

Aug 2010
HawthorneKitty said:
I hate how Nodame gets the short end of the stick.

I totally agree

And i agree that her behavior was unnatural of her..maybe she matured? or will she burst emo soon?
Apr 26, 2012 3:35 AM

Nov 2011
xMusicMohawk said:
HawthorneKitty said:
I hate how Nodame gets the short end of the stick.

I totally agree

And i agree that her behavior was unnatural of her..maybe she matured? or will she burst emo soon?

Scary Nodame was scary in season 1. (against fan smacker)
Finally a decent episode. Viella is finally introduced to the plot and the relationship is threatened, and god I love Stresemann. Realistic as it is, I do agree with a few others that the plot is getting slightly repetitive and tiring though.
Oct 24, 2012 1:35 AM

Sep 2011
Mr. Butler!
May 6, 2013 6:49 AM

Apr 2013
Nice episode.

Cant wait to see Nodame perform in orchestra.
May 18, 2013 10:28 PM

Jan 2013
Hmm, this always happens in any romance anime.
They fight, grow further and further apart, then come back together in the end with a deepened/strengthened relationship. I really wish it didnt have to be like that, but it always is.
May 27, 2013 9:13 AM

Feb 2013
I liked nodames piano playing as usual :) good episode
~If only sorrow could build a staircase, our tears could show the way.
I would climb my way to heaven, and bring him back home again.~

Jun 20, 2013 12:43 PM

May 2012
Finally they reunite after 13 years! Well if I was in his position I would do the same even though it's quite sad for Nodame! Still quite a good job but well it's actually sad to see Nodame sad :|

Lets see what's next!
Jul 1, 2013 12:11 AM

May 2010
missiemoon said:

I really enjoyed this episode though. I could listen to Nodame perform all day long. And although I didn't like Chiaki skipping out on Nodame's concert, it was really touching when he hugged Viera like a small child. I wish the episode could have continued on for a while, because Nodame didn't seem well at the end and now I feel uneasy.

This.. Nodame's pieces are worth listening..
Sep 9, 2013 8:57 AM

May 2010
Okay, I don't like Rui afterall... He finally met his sensei, and he forgot about Nodame for him... Well, can't blame him as Nodame makes mistakes too so it's fair, besides I would have done the same... I think...probably...maybe...

Great performances by Nodame nevertheless! Mr.Butler! Mukya! XD That ending song is just so beautiful that...
Apr 12, 2014 1:37 PM

Dec 2013
MUUKYA! That Episode was actually quite interesting.
Apr 17, 2014 2:32 PM

Jul 2009
Chiaki! How could u do that! Really! Nodame always go to all his concerts =/
Apr 19, 2014 8:44 AM

Aug 2013
Bebe-chan x Butler. Rui better stay away from Chiaki >__>
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 18, 2014 8:04 PM

Mar 2012
You can't really hate on Chiaki for the decision he made imo. I mean hell, he's meeting face to face with his dad/teacher which he hasn't done in 13 years. It's just really unfortunate that this had to happen on the night Nodame was playing :(
Dec 2, 2014 4:37 PM

Jun 2009
i understand chiaki's decision but why does nodame have to keep getting short strawed...sad sad sad.
Apr 9, 2015 12:08 PM

Aug 2014
Ah~ The end of this episode is relaxed. Very nice.
Oct 26, 2015 9:23 AM

Sep 2015
I hate Chiaki's decision on this episode!!!

I will now ship Nodame x Mr. Butler! XD
Dec 14, 2015 5:33 AM
May 2012
What the fuck, Chiaki =_=
He could have met him anytime.
May 30, 2017 3:52 AM

Feb 2013
Chiaki sucks, he is awful, his stupid master was more important that Nodame's concert, he doesn't deserve her love.
Aug 4, 2017 5:00 PM

Aug 2015
Ulquiorra said:
Chiaki sucks, he is awful, his stupid master was more important that Nodame's concert, he doesn't deserve her love.

I've never really agreed with your comments on these Nodame Threads but this once I will.

I'm pissed at Chaiki. He had all the time to go visit Vierra over the year but he was saving that for what a coincidental meeting?

He should've rejected him and gone to Nodame.

Props to Nodame though, she's really maturing!
The only opinion that should matter to you is yours.
Aug 19, 2018 3:52 PM

Dec 2012
Nodame took the news like a champ, that was bittersweet, I know she's disappointed on the inside. The difference in professional dispositions between Nodame and Stressemann is amusing. I'm upset at Chiaki yet happy for him, and it's understandable why he went, but ahhh poor Nodame.

Every "fancy" dress anyone has ever worn in this series so far is hideous -.- I was so happy she ripped her dress because I thought for a moment there she would have to change haha
Aug 23, 2018 2:34 AM
Aug 2014
He became what he despises.
Dec 29, 2018 1:48 PM

May 2016
Some really nice developments for Nodame can't believe I started to like her this much after the first season she has became my fav char from the show.

Chiaki that was really a bad decision.
Jun 9, 2019 12:52 PM

May 2010
Wow, Chiaki's an ass. I'd understand if this was some once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, or life-or-death situation , but come on, he could visit Viera basically any time, or get his phone number to contact him later. Standing your girlfriend up when she's counting on you is such an asshole move >_<

GOSH, I really hate their relationship, they're such a terrible match...
Aug 8, 2019 8:07 AM
Apr 2016
Now, that was incredibly rude of Chiaki, seriously, don't abandon your angel like that... She played wonderfully, sad that Chiaki didn't get to hear.
Oct 4, 2019 4:55 PM

Nov 2016
What a wholesome farewell between Nodame and the butler Robert. I thought they had really a precious little relationship and it was cute how he took care of her xD

And you can't end the episode without a Mukya. Poor Nodame, tho, Chiaki will still have to apologize, especially now that he will be gone soon.

I love this series so much.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 6, 2021 12:49 PM

Jan 2021
Wait what!!!
Poor Nodame!! :<
Feb 26, 2022 9:05 PM
Jul 2018
Gotta say, I don't really care for the Rui character. I don't care about her storyline or backstory or personal issues or her relationship with Chiaki. I find her uninteresting and moments featuring her dull.

Not that the entire show gets dragged down because of it. I acknolwedge other people might appreciate her relevance. It's just not my cup of tea.

Shame because I would agree that she's more of Chiaki's type. In fact, probably the only woman in the entire show that would be a sensible romantic match for Chiaki. Similar backgrounds, skill levels, statuses, passions...

It's like, why even introduce Rui in a show about Nodame. Rui is the obvious perfect match for Chiaki, and there's zero reason they shouldn't be together..... and yet, we're already all rooting for Nodame.
They should've either made the story about Chiaki and Rui... or exlcuded the Rui character altogether.
Feb 26, 2022 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
This show actually shines where others don't. It takes casualty and realism to a whole other level.

When Nodame discovered that Chiaki couldn't make it to her recital (or whatever the event was called) -- after being conditioned by other anime, I was expecting Nodame to become sullen and figured her performance would suffer. Then she'd become apathetic or depressed and cry. That's what most other anime would do. To really force the characters' emotions down your throat.
But no, this story knows -- given what's happened in the past, and the nature of the story -- that it would be uncharacteristic for crying and hindered performances. They took the right path, and allowed Nodame to remain unaffected. She delivered a peak performance per usual and seemed to enjoy it.

As this show doesn't succumb to the regular tropes in anime or manga, Nodame Cantabile is certainly deserving of a high score and appraisal.

-----

I really don't blame Chiaki for blowing off Nodame. It wasn't the most moral thing to do -- but that conductor guy is pretty much Chiaki's biggest role model, father figure, and the reason Chiaki is the man he is. Chiaki's been patiently awaiting the day he'd get to meet his idol again. And receiving an invitation from the man himself, I don't know if I'd turn it down either. Both Chiaki and Nodame should know that there will be future recitals to attend. Furthermore, I don't know what will happen later, but Nodame seems like the kind of character who'd be happy for Chiaki. Finally, Chiaki had to act quickly. When you meet someone out-of-the-blue on the bus, things can happen like a "blur". He probably had to make a quick decision. And you can tell dissing Nodame bothered him.

-----

Also, the butler is the real OG.

removed-userFeb 26, 2022 9:14 PM
Jan 8, 7:44 PM

Aug 2019
What the fuck, Chiaki. Always thought that Nodame could do better and now I'm really thinking that. The romance in this series is really subpar.

EDIT: Maybe this will go down the route of Chiaki becoming like his father and realizing that he needs to take a different path, but I honestly don't trust the writer of this series to do something like that (or it could, but not in a very well-written and impactful way).
bucciestJan 8, 8:08 PM
Mar 11, 10:04 AM
Mar 2024
Come one don't ruin the series for me now..
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Finale Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Riveiraland - Mar 11, 2010

114 by sillylovesong »»
May 6, 3:50 PM

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Finale Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

HawthorneKitty - Mar 25, 2010

239 by Euroqean »»
Sep 23, 2023 4:30 PM

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Finale Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Feb 18, 2010

93 by removed-user »»
Apr 30, 2023 6:56 AM

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Finale Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

throwaway513846 - Jan 14, 2010

124 by ims-tokyo »»
Apr 17, 2022 3:06 AM

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Finale Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Feb 12, 2010

81 by Preachee »»
Sep 25, 2021 10:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.