Forum Settings
Forums

MAL ratings and reviews are very misleading...I think

New
Aug 12, 2016 9:02 AM

Oct 2015
Am not saying I hate collective opinions like what MAL lets us do but seriously Anime is as good as any form of art out their and that makes it subjective, How one anime can impact you completely depends on the person, maybe their are some shows that are just "bad" but still even those have a fans of their own,

Before I discovered MAL, Anime was not about ratings or reviews to me, at most I would take a friends recommendation and go in hoping i don't get bored, I mean MAL has got some serious Elitists who think watching anime is some kind of science.(I hope they don't see this)

When they added the new rankings and popularity element on MAL it became even harder to escape the pessimism because the damn scores were right their when you opened an anime page, that's why I got my browser an element blocking extension...

Again am not saying collective opinions are bad but lets face it, MAL is one of the most pessimistic community out there...will only be checking rankings after I make my own decisions from now on.
mcriderAug 12, 2016 9:05 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 12, 2016 9:04 AM

Nov 2011
I hate how 10 rating review are always voted as most helpful by bunch of people. Removing the "Not useful" button was dumb.
TyrelAug 13, 2016 9:25 AM

Aug 12, 2016 9:06 AM

May 2015
Nice pictures

I'm not even reading reviews sooo...
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 12, 2016 9:06 AM

May 2015
You shouldn't pay attention to the score of a review but its content.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2016 9:12 AM

Jul 2015
Mal ratings are fine
Overrated anime for you is a masterpiece for others and vice versa

I don't give a shit about reviews because they are just a personal opinions
Aug 12, 2016 9:19 AM

Jun 2013
When checking reviews, the ones with the most "[number] of people found this review helpful" generally tend to be more reliable. But's definitely worth reading more than just one. Read at least one positive, one negative, and one neutral to get the full spectrum and judge for yourself.

As for scores, it definitely gets muddled for things rated between like 6.5-8.5, which unfortunately does cover most shows out there. But when ratings start hit the extremities, the more likely you will end up with the same opinion. That's only natural. In my experience, If something has > 8.5(ish) on MAL, you are way more likely to enjoy it than not. If it's rated < 6.0 it probably really is a shit show (I think low ratings tend to be more reliable, though).

I very often take my chances with shows rated in the high 6's and low 7's if the premises looks interesting to me, and I'll watch highly rated shows simply because of that, if only to see if the "hype was real", as it were. It ends up working out for me most of the time.
-Trippwire-Aug 12, 2016 9:55 AM

Aug 2016
tragedydesu said:
Mal ratings are fine
Overrated anime for you is a masterpiece for others and vice versa

I don't give a shit about reviews because they are just a personal opinions

Agree. I dont care about reviews and rating. I have my own personal Opinions like u said

Jul 2012
Just read like 10 reviews and then you will get an idea.
I ignore ratings, ranking is more how many people have seen it.
Alot of users dont even use the forums that watch anime and sites like IMDB give 9s to 4s on MAL so yes MAL is different rating wise than some.
Aug 12, 2016 9:26 AM

Apr 2016
If anything, it's the fault of the people who overreact with their scores or throw them blindly instead of stopping to think about if their score is accurate to exactly how they feel about the series. This is where reviewers come in. If a reviewer is COMPETENT, then he/she summarizes his/her feelings about all of the caragories of the anime they an anime can have, as well as point out what exactly a show did right or wrong in certain areas, so we can get a feel of a show's overall validity as a part of the medium. Shoddy reviewers often overreact with their scores, and provide little evidence or detail into anything, often using outright fallacies or making a review less than 3 paragraphs (which is rare to pull off well).

Also, the not helpful button was removed because of fake account asshole using it to screw people over. Now that they're regulating for that đź’©, which is why some reviews have less upvotes (since fake account assholes struck there too), we can get away with putting the not helpful button back.
Aug 12, 2016 9:28 AM

May 2015
As far as ratings I just use them as general sort of number as to how good the show might be. I still read the synopsis, and make my decision. Based off what I know I enjoy.

With reviews I almost never care about the score they give, but more the content of the review itself. You can usually tell when someone is blatantly just hating or reaching on reviews vs when someone actually has good points.
"I'm always alone. Other people don't factor into what I do. The things that happen in front of me are parts of my life and my life alone." - 8man
Aug 12, 2016 9:28 AM

Oct 2015
YayaChibi said:
Yup. And that is why we need a not helpful button, and a way to undo a 'you found this review helpful'.
I slipped up waaay to many times, were I clicked helpful rather than read more. People suggested it, and we have no results. I think the suggestions board was no help.

Cant believe their is someone out their who does that too, I have also mistakenly pressed the "you found this review helpful" button instead of the "read more" button, they really should at least let us undo that.
Aug 12, 2016 9:30 AM

Apr 2016
mcrider said:
YayaChibi said:
Yup. And that is why we need a not helpful button, and a way to undo a 'you found this review helpful'.
I slipped up waaay to many times, were I clicked helpful rather than read more. People suggested it, and we have no results. I think the suggestions board was no help.

Cant believe their is someone out their who does that too, I have also mistakenly pressed the "you found this review helpful" button instead of the "read more" button, they really should at least let us undo that.
I fell your pain. There was a terrible review of Haruhi S2 that I accidentally upvoted, and I can't undo the mistake. We should make this a vocal complaint for the higher-ups to fix.
Aug 12, 2016 9:32 AM

Feb 2015
Actually, I find the score more important than the reviews and actually very helpful. The review is just one man's opinion (even when criticizing, he cannot be fully objective).

But the score can help people who just want to find a good show and enjoy it, and don't have time to check every series available.
Highly ranked series are the ones enjoyed by most, and has a higher chance of being good for my taste.
sky977Aug 12, 2016 12:42 PM
Aug 12, 2016 9:38 AM

Sep 2012
sky9 said:
Actually, I find the score more important than the reviews and actually very helpful. The review is just one man's opinion (even when criticizing, he cannot be fully subjective).

But the score can help people who just want to find a good show and enjoy it, and don't have time to check every series available.
Highly ranked series are the ones enjoyed by most, and has a higher chance of being good for my taste.

Oh my sweet child how pure you are....

To me reviews are more important than score because everyone can give a score but cant write a good review.Not couting the haters and "fans" too.
Aug 12, 2016 9:50 AM

Dec 2013
Pretty sure I lost a couple million brain cells going through this thread.

MAL is a Database first, everything else second.
The demographics that are attracted to the community of this site are not an accurate determining factor of any series' value.
After all, most of the people here don't even have a basic understanding of contractions.

TL;DR
Your numerical score is irrelevant and so is mine.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Aug 12, 2016 9:51 AM

Nov 2012
>7.22 mean score
>pessimistic community
what?
Aug 12, 2016 9:56 AM

Feb 2015
i don't give a fuck with those rating, ranking, score and shit. i only care about the anime. that's all.
Aug 12, 2016 9:56 AM

Feb 2015
Lol no i'm a mainstream feg so i pretty much liek everything dat MAL lieks
Aug 12, 2016 9:59 AM

Jun 2013
silverwalls said:
>7.22 mean score
>pessimistic community
what?

People have a very skewed view of ratings. For many people, below 7, and certainly below a 6, means a generally bad show. Idk about other countries, but it's common with Americans. It probably stems from our academic A-F grading scale. D = 60-69% = poor = essentially failing, which means a "C-" isn't that much better.
Aug 12, 2016 9:59 AM

Aug 2014
I mean the content of the reviews on this site are mostly boring and pointless. They are also pretty poorly written although pretty much everything posted on MAL is poorly written so whatever. Your scores don't mean anything to anyone but yourself as they are pretty arbitrary. The meta data of shows is pretty interesting to me to see what shows are acclaimed by the general community but there may be some that have a much higher mean score than others thus making the scores pretty redundant in actually comparing how well received shows are.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Aug 12, 2016 10:03 AM

Feb 2016
I don't usually read the views since it's the person's own opinion. By looking at the actual score you can get a general idea of how good the anime is. You could also look at the score most reviews give to form a general idea.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2016 10:04 AM
Jul 2016
I never read reviews either on this site or any other. The scores I give on my anime list are based solely on whether or not I enjoyed a particular show and how much I enjoyed it.
Aug 12, 2016 10:06 AM

Feb 2015
I hope you're joking. Most new anime (as in everything that came out in the last decade) are incredebly overrated, since most people here are very biased towards new shows. Everything that looks nice and is somewhat entertaining gets really high rankings. Erased, Re:zero, OPM, just to name a few... At this point it's really not an accomplishment anymore to be in the top 20 on MAL.
Aug 12, 2016 10:08 AM

Sep 2012
Anime scores shouldn't matter therefore I'm going to make a thread about anime scores
Aug 12, 2016 10:14 AM

Apr 2014
MAL should probably keep the overall rating (an average of the ratings from all members) but should also include an 'Advanced Statistics' separate page or perhaps a dropdown that shows ratings based on how many anime the person rating has watched / how many days their anime sum up to (perhaps even including a genre-specific measurement, whereby this measurement would only take into consideration anime that are of a similar type to the anime being rated).

Through this, we'd be able to see the opinion's of those who are more experienced anime watchers (who are more likely to have a more balanced and professional opinion), thus allowing other anime 'veterans' to base their judgement on them. Similarly, the ratings of those who have less anime experience could be used by the people who are beginning to get into anime to judge whether an anime is enjoyable for amateurs.

Sounds complex, but it would be fairly easy to put in practice. Though the harder part would be determining the appropriate boundaries and deciding what would happen once someone who has rated an anime exceeds one of these boundaries (perhaps MAL would prompt them to re-rate their anime, which may seem like a hassle, but boundaries won't be exceeded very often).
Aug 12, 2016 10:16 AM

Oct 2014
It depends on your definition of "misleading". 84% of all anime are rated between 6 and 9 and 37% of anime are rated between 7 and 8. Because most of the ratings are so concentrated the difference between a 7.5 and a 7.6 is quite big, but there are still plenty of anime that do not have ratings that accurately project their quality. Binbou Shimai Monogatari is rated 6.96 but it deserves more around a 7.4 while One Punch Man has an 8.86 but is really worth more around a 7.9.
Aug 12, 2016 10:26 AM

Feb 2014
The MAL ratings are honestly fucked when you consider the fact that new fans will most likely check out the top anime and therefore increase the overall popularity of a show even more. The main problem is that newly released anime tends to receive a higher score at the beginning (Hype, fanboys) and surpasses "superior" anime that have aired in the past.
An example would be Haikyuu`s (It`s a good show dont get me wrong) extremely high placing in the rankings.

Solution: MAL should create an algorithm that rates seasonal anime harsher in favor of "bad" scores.
Aug 12, 2016 11:02 AM

Apr 2016
I don't decide whether or not to watch anime based on the scores. Though I like to see what scores my favourite anime have.
Aug 12, 2016 11:17 AM

Feb 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
It depends on your definition of "misleading". 84% of all anime are rated between 6 and 9 and 37% of anime are rated between 7 and 8. Because most of the ratings are so concentrated the difference between a 7.5 and a 7.6 is quite big, but there are still plenty of anime that do not have ratings that accurately project their quality. Binbou Shimai Monogatari is rated 6.96 but it deserves more around a 7.4 while One Punch Man has an 8.86 but is really worth more around a 7.9.
dae think everyone should rate like this? :^)^)^))<- le objective quality face
Aug 12, 2016 11:57 AM

Feb 2010
I'm not sure what OP is trying to say. What is 'pessimistic' about an average score? How is the community pessimistic? Why does that play any role when you look at a random anime entry to decide whether to watch it or now? Why do you even care in the first place? Caring about scores is optional, you have a choice. Is the 7.22 rating in that image so bad for you that it makes you expect less of a show? If so that's your problem, it's a totally respectable score that means it's seen as good on average. The MAL community is overly optimistic in that regard because there are almost no titles whose average score doesn't at least indicate that it's a decent watch.

This is like the paranoid blaming the CIA for his condition. There's nothing wrong with the MAL average scores. What's wrong is how much they seem to influence you.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 12, 2016 12:01 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Yup you shouldn't have cared about either in the first place... make your own damn decisions
Aug 12, 2016 12:04 PM

Jun 2015
KaiserNazrin said:
I hate how 10 rating review are always voted as most helpful by bunch of fags. Removing the "Not useful" button was dumb.

if you give low score/ criticize a popular animu in the reviews, expect some mad rabid fans spam the "Not useful" button without reading the whole review...
Aug 12, 2016 12:06 PM
Jun 2013
Read reviews with a grain of salt and keep in mind that they are just a point of view that doesn't match anyone else's by 100%. If people on MAL scored properly instead of saving their least favorite shows for a 5, we wouldn't have the score problem as much. The score isn't relevant to me and neither are the reviews that most people found helpful, unless they talk mention elements that I know will bug me instead of going "Everything's great, 10/10". You could always just, oh I don't know, ignore the scores and rankings that challenge your mind and keep you in a closed world where your friends recommendations are your only source of expectation and/or opinion prior to seeing something.
Aug 12, 2016 12:07 PM

Dec 2015
I totally get what u mean. I will be slightly hesitant to watch a show if the score is 7.2 on a non ecchi show versus a 8.0 show
But usually scanning thru some reviews is more helpful, even with the said score. I mean look at DanMachi score lol

Anyways im more concerned about the fact that anti-ecchi faggots downvote some really good ecchi shows so usually looking at scores for a ecchi show is not needed at all.
Aug 12, 2016 12:07 PM

Apr 2016
"MAL is one of the most pessimistic community out there...will only be checking rankings after I make my own decisions from now on."

if you haven't been doing this from the beginning then i really don't know what to tell you.
Aug 12, 2016 12:14 PM

Oct 2014
The score of 7 is labeled as "good" so 7.22 should not be viewed as a bad score. The fact that MAL's scores are so high has changed your view on what scores should be. There are plenty of anime I've given 4s to that I really enjoyed but I would never pick up an anime with an average of 4 and expect something moderately watchable. You're the one being pessimistic about the high scores being low by MAL's standards. Everyone rates differently. I honestly loved Vividred Operation which has an average score of 6.58, which is very low for MAL. However, I actually gave it a 6 which is lower than the average. MAL's average for all anime is around 6.8 while mine is 4.9 so comparatively I gave it a higher score even though I rated it below its average. There really should be a separate "weighted average" where user means are taken into account.

Yes, MAL ratings are misleading, but not in the way you think they are.
Aug 12, 2016 12:27 PM

Mar 2016
JonasTheJay said:
I hope you're joking. Most new anime (as in everything that came out in the last decade) are incredebly overrated, since most people here are very biased towards new shows. Everything that looks nice and is somewhat entertaining gets really high rankings. Erased, Re:zero, OPM, just to name a few... At this point it's really not an accomplishment anymore to be in the top 20 on MAL.

I like how you claim anime in the past "decade" (aka 10 years) are overrated, but you literally used examples from the past year and half. I don't mind if you call shows within the past decade overrated, but you essentially destroy your own point by only using relatively new anime as your examples. Throw in a couple from the early teens or the late 00's. Like maybe Sukitte Ii na yo, Kokoro Connect, or Sekirei. All of these shows occured within the past decade that have been called "overrated" for whatever reasons. The minute you only cited recent examples is the minute you lose credence in your argument.
Aug 12, 2016 12:34 PM

Feb 2015
sasalx said:
sky9 said:
Actually, I find the score more important than the reviews and actually very helpful. The review is just one man's opinion (even when criticizing, he cannot be fully subjective).

Oh my sweet child how pure you are....

To me reviews are more important than score because everyone can give a score but cant write a good review.Not couting the haters and "fans" too.

You have a point, but going through numerous reviews to find the pros and cons of a series, thus deciding if it's to your liking or not, is not feasible for everyone (Although it's the most accurate method).

Also, if someone doesn't know how to/ doesn't want to write a review does not mean that his opinion is crap.
Aug 12, 2016 12:38 PM

Feb 2015
MexicanNinja212 said:
JonasTheJay said:

I like how you claim anime in the past "decade" (aka 10 years) are overrated, but you literally used examples from the past year and half. I don't mind if you call shows within the past decade overrated, but you essentially destroy your own point by only using relatively new anime as your examples. Throw in a couple from the early teens or the late 00's. Like maybe Sukitte Ii na yo, Kokoro Connect, or Sekirei. All of these shows occured within the past decade that have been called "overrated" for whatever reasons. The minute you only cited recent examples is the minute you lose credence in your argument.

My point was that everything that looks nice can get an insanely high score and most people on MAL don't consider shows that are older than 10 years pretty looking. The more popular anime as a whole gets, the more people who rate everything a 10 register on MAL. Therefore current anime are even more overrated (in terms of MAL score) than ever before. Every new show seems to have even more hype than the one that came before.
Aug 12, 2016 12:52 PM

Oct 2014
JonasTheJay said:
MexicanNinja212 said:

My point was that everything that looks nice can get an insanely high score and most people on MAL don't consider shows that are older than 10 years pretty looking. The more popular anime as a whole gets, the more people who rate everything a 10 register on MAL. Therefore current anime are even more overrated (in terms of MAL score) than ever before. Every new show seems to have even more hype than the one that came before.
I think this would be referred to as "score inflation". Someone watches a show and considers the average score to be the "objective quality" of it, or at least thinks that's how they're expected to rate anime. When they see a better show it deserves a higher rating, which results in anime getting higher ratings on average as time goes on. If you look at the season before Xinil joined the anime have far lower scores than anime of the current season. The hype created by MAL itself didn't exist at the time so there was no reason for score inflation at the time. Elfen Lied is the only anime from that season that's still popular today. That may have been a bit of a bad season to pick, but there still has been a progressive increase in average scores over time. There's only one TV anime from the year 2000 that has a score over 8.0, which says something.
Aug 12, 2016 12:55 PM

Dec 2012
Pessimistic? It's rare for this community to give any anime above a certain level of popularity any less than a 7. That's a good score.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Aug 12, 2016 12:56 PM

Sep 2012
sky9 said:

Also, if someone doesn't know how to/ doesn't want to write a review does not mean that his opinion is crap.

That wasn't my point.Writing a review is good way to explain your score but you can troll by simply giving score.
Aug 12, 2016 1:00 PM

Mar 2016
JonasTheJay said:
MexicanNinja212 said:

I do agree with your point that most MAL users don't consider shows older than the 2010's to be pretty. I agree with the fact that alot of newer shows are rated ridiculously higher than they would have been ten years ago. I only have a little wiggle room though because I do rate my anime rather high (at least I think so), but I also think a bigger part in a a show being overrated is due to advancement in technology. If you look back in the mid/late 2000's most shows didn't receive the amount of pre-air attention shows do nowadays. Now we get on crunchyroll,MAL, reddit, etc. and we can find out the latest details about X show releasing this Fall or show A's sequel A2. I personally think the ratings increased because shows build alot more hype nowadays and thus attract a larger audience (many casual/mainstream anime fans) who mostly watch "good" anime so they think everything they watch is "good" therefore giving it alot higher ratings. With everything receiving hours of attention over various social media and news outlets people naturally gravitate toward anime with massive exposure, like Re:Zero (I actually enjoy Re:Zero :P), many people expect more than what they get because of said hype, while others give it more credit because of the hype (people that give more credit far outnumber those who expect more of a show).
Aug 12, 2016 1:06 PM

Sep 2015
Any rating on any site spanning any medium is going to be of limited usefulness. You don't know the people who are rating it, you don't know the rating system they use and whether they adhere to each website's version, you don't know whether people have seen a large amount of -X that is being rated - or a small amount, you don't know a lot of things; the list goes on. There're so many factors that go into why each specific person gave the score they gave that trying to take an average of all of them as a helpful statistic just really isn't going to work to any great length.

As for reviews, a part of me would prefer if it you didn't have to give a score on reviews; people should judge your reviews based on the quality of them, not on whether the score given aligns with theirs. It's better to just read multiple reviews that are of differing opinions in order to get a better idea and avoid any bias; well, as much as you can. It also helps when you can start recognising reviewers because you can tell off the bat whether it's going to be worth reading or not based on what they've written before.

But at the end of the day, ratings and reviews can only help you so much. Aside from just watching it yourself and figuring it out that way, your only other option would be to discuss it with friends / others users whose opinions you value.
TL;DR Don't give a shit about the score of an anime because it's one of the worst ways of measuring the apparent quality of a series.
MazAug 12, 2016 1:11 PM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Aug 12, 2016 1:09 PM

Oct 2015
mcrider said:
Am not saying I hate collective opinions like what MAL lets us do but seriously Anime is as good as any form of art out their and that makes it subjective, How one anime can impact you completely depends on the person, maybe their are some shows that are just "bad" but still even those have a fans of their own,

Before I discovered MAL, Anime was not about ratings or reviews to me, at most I would take a friends recommendation and go in hoping i don't get bored, I mean MAL has got some serious Elitists who think watching anime is some kind of science.(I hope they don't see this)

When they added the new rankings and popularity element on MAL it became even harder to escape the pessimism because the damn scores were right their when you opened an anime page, that's why I got my browser an element blocking extension...

Again am not saying collective opinions are bad but lets face it, MAL is one of the most pessimistic community out there...will only be checking rankings after I make my own decisions from now on.

Instead of caring about ratings and reviews, why not focus yoru attention on watching the shows you enjoy?
Also, if you think MAL is pessimistic, you'll probably fall into a pit of despair, if you visit AniDB.
The only change (in relation to what you said) I'd want is removing the necessity of ratings on reviews, because often times people don't even bother reading the review, they just click "Helpful" if the rating suits their desires.
But, eh, I think there are biggers issues on MAL, like unnecessary "trolling" or some hipster thinking School Days is a psychological deconstruction of whatever.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Aug 12, 2016 1:10 PM

Aug 2012
You've drawn a number of poor conclusions.

First of all, it really shouldn't even have to be said that any mass accumulation of user-submitted opinions that you stumbled upon on the internet is to be taken with a grain of salt. I do not understand how anyone uses the internet without understanding this. Do you feel that the top comments on Reddit actually represent the most important statements anyone in the entire world could make about the topics at hand? Do you take dietary and lifestyle advice from 4chan? No? Then why would you let a similarly unfiltered barrage of opinions from MAL influence your actions? MAL is a tool that will be used by numerous people with numerous levels of knowledge in numerous ways. The mistake isn't MAL's for accumulating and presenting this information to you--that's just MAL being MAL. The mistake is yours for looking at that information and thinking "I should use this to govern my choices."

Not to mention that, even if we momentarily assume some hypothetical world where MAL scores convey valuable information that should hold weight with you...you didn't take the time to contextualize that information. MAL is designed with 5 as the "average" rating, i.e. something with an accumulated rating of, say, 6.8 is not only not bad by the site's standards, but significantly better than average. So even if we allow you premise A, that this information in total is meaningful (which I assure you it is not), your statement that MAL is "pessimistic" indicates that you interpreted the information entirely the wrong way anyways. If anything, MAL is hopelessly optimistic.

As for reviews, they live and die by their content, not who the reviewer is or the score the reviewer handed out, and should be judged on a case-by-case basis. Whether or not you let them influence you is, again, up to you.
mahoganycowAug 12, 2016 1:19 PM
Aug 12, 2016 1:11 PM

Oct 2015
Oh, actually, I have one more problem with people rating good shows low, just because "it doesn't look pretty or moe", like they did with Kemonozume. There's even a crappy "review" there complaining mostly about how it looks.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Aug 12, 2016 1:13 PM
Feb 2016
If you don't want to know what other people think, then you don't have to. But, even when I disagree with the majority, it can be useful to see other people's opinions of the anime.

Aug 12, 2016 2:03 PM

Nov 2009
kamisama751 said:
mcrider said:
MAL has got some serious Elitists who think watching anime is some kind of science.

Whoat? :D How many of them have you encountered so far and What is the problem with that score?

My main problem is people who rate like "there is ISO standard for well-written shows, and for every thing that doesn't comply with it, I'll reduce rating by 1". Naturally, every real and fun show ends up with 1/10, because the rater isn't allowed to put -256/10. Because their "ISO standard" was written for boring doorstoppers that comprise literature class, and it basically states that the work isn't allowed to be dynamic.

My second problem is plotfags. They are people who don't care about cute romance, pantyshots, city-destroying fights, humor, music, mood and any other kind of content. They only want plot. If the show isn't fast enough, they complain that the show didn't have a proper resolution. If the show was fast enough, they complain about plot holes or any other thing that can only be patched by adding more screentime to an anime. Screentime the anime doesn't have, because they have to fit the end inside.
flannanAug 12, 2016 2:08 PM
Aug 12, 2016 2:06 PM

Oct 2015
Because people rate based on hypetrains and hatetrains, then those hypetrains and hatetrains swap roles when it's cool to be hipster about them, and so forth.

MAL ratings don't mean shit anyway so yeah
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

10 by Daviljoe193 »»
22 seconds ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

36 by Gensouori »»
37 seconds ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

25 by xthewarwithinx »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 42 minutes ago

9 by Archean-Return »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 9 hours ago

37 by Bandulf »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.