Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 21, 2016 11:25 PM
Sep 2015
Disclaimer: This thread was created purely for academic purposes.
Alright, now that we got the logistics part out of the way, do you know any femme fatale characters in anime?
If you don't know what a femme fatale character is then google that shit to put it bluntly I'm talking about seductive and dangerous female characters.

(Lust - FMAB)

(Fujiko Mine - Lupin III)

So yeah know any other anime with this type of characters?

Also in a valiant effort to prevent this topic from turning into a listing thread (even though I'm all about them recs) here are two questions for you:
1) What do you think about femme fatale characters in fiction? (not just anime, I mean any entertainment medium)
And for anyone who wants to comment 'sexism' on my thread:

2) Do you prefer anime that feature older or younger female characters?
Jul 21, 2016 11:50 PM
Sep 2015
kamisama751 said:
Oh yeah, I know Comic_Sans, Konakoffee and TiaDee. Just kidding, I love you all. ;)

(you're lucky you're pretty)
Why of course, loving us is the one and only default option.
Jul 21, 2016 11:56 PM

Oct 2014
I'm fine with women who are badasses, but I prefer it when they're on the hero team. I do prefer younger female characters, but young and female is already my favourite type of character so that shouldn't be a surprise. Characters like the ones in New Game and Shirobako who are young adults but could be mistaken for being in the last years of high school (or in the case of New Game, the first year of middle school).
Jul 22, 2016 12:02 AM

Jun 2015
Drei from Phantom counts.
Idc about age in anime. I'm looking for good stories, not titillation.
Jul 22, 2016 12:14 AM

Jan 2011
1. A character archetype that should be used more and works bad as a main character or main villain of a story. I really love it since these characters at least have a reason to be attractive.

2. Hmm.....older for me since I always prefer we have more stories about older characters in anime.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 22, 2016 12:23 AM

Dec 2015
My modest contribution to this quality thread:

(Claudia McCunnen - Phantom)

Still doesn't come close to this though
Jul 22, 2016 1:20 AM

Jul 2013
1) What do you think about femme fatale characters in fiction? (not just anime, I mean any entertainment medium)
I like them. They are hot, sensual, and I like how they use their seduction skills to achieve their goals.

2) Do you prefer anime that feature older or younger female characters?
I don't care as long as I find the character good or entertaining. I tend to prefer younger females, if my list is any indication.
Jul 22, 2016 1:39 AM

Feb 2013
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FemmeFatale

i like how they give kaoru as an example xD
Jul 22, 2016 2:44 AM

Apr 2013
technically, Mireille Bouquet from Noir and Nashetania from Rokka no Yuusha should fit somehow?

1) I appreciate them
2) I like female characters that are independent, and strong willed. Age has little to do with it, although you'll usually see that more frequently in older female characters than younger (at least that should be the case for obvious reasons), but since it's not a sine qua non condition, I don' t really mind. Femme fatale are usually quite strong willed and independent (and this is the case of mireille and Nashetania indeed) so they often fits the bill on this.
ZefyrisJul 22, 2016 4:55 AM
Jul 22, 2016 2:56 AM

Apr 2015
I like it, and I'm looking for girls who is more fatale than her:

kamisama751 said:
Yanderes are also pretty dangerous and I want them to vanish forever.

Yandere is the best dere, you plebs.
Jul 22, 2016 2:58 AM

Dec 2015
1) I'm fine with the femme fatale archetype. I would probably get sick of them is they were overused, but right now I don't think we have an over abundance of femme fatales.
2) I don't care about age as long as the character is interesting to watch.

Does Faye Valentine count as a femme fatale?
Jul 22, 2016 3:18 AM
Dec 2015
Femme fatal are the opposite of loli and thats why i love them :) post more guys
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2016 4:39 AM

Mar 2015
HeisenbergAnime said:
Femme fatal are the opposite of loli and thats why i love them :) post more guys

How about a femme fatale loli...? I mean, it's possible :O
Jul 22, 2016 4:45 AM
Sep 2015
OneTrueEmiya said:
HeisenbergAnime said:

Was browsing through romagia's link and found this:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FilleFatale

KingRequiem said:
My modest contribution to this quality thread:

You're a miracle, KingRequiem. I'll follow you for the rest of my life!

@Bobby2Hands
Can't believe I've forgotten about her! She's like the icon of anime femme fatale characters.
Jul 22, 2016 4:50 AM

Apr 2013
Bobby2Hands said:
1) I'm fine with the femme fatale archetype. I would probably get sick of them is they were overused, but right now I don't think we have an over abundance of femme fatales.
2) I don't care about age as long as the character is interesting to watch.

Does Faye Valentine count as a femme fatale?

Faye is definitely a fine example of Femme fatale indeed.
Jul 22, 2016 5:06 AM

Feb 2013
TiaDee said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

lol it even has more anime examples xd
Jul 22, 2016 5:14 AM
Sep 2015
romagia said:
TiaDee said:

lol it even has more anime examples xd

(At this rate I'm expecting the bébé fatal edition to be just around the corner too)
Jul 22, 2016 6:49 AM

Apr 2015
kamisama751 said:
You said:

Yandere is the best dere, you plebs.

Or you just got sh*t taste in waifu. ;)

Because you probably only know Yuno Gasai as a yandere and noone else.
Jul 22, 2016 6:55 AM
Sep 2015
kamisama751 said:
Then mentionsome good yanderes. If I think they are good yanderes then I give up.

what about this one?
sorry, couldn't resist
Jul 22, 2016 6:59 AM
Sep 2015
kamisama751 said:
TiaDee said:

what about this one?
sorry, couldn't resist

Awwwwww god. You got me. I give up. :D

Neah, not yet, let's wait for You for some actual examples (I'm actually curious of good yanderes as well).
Jul 22, 2016 7:05 AM

Jul 2016
We need more Femme Fatale's in anime, fucking tired of the same old generic archtypes (tsundere, yandere etc.) & especially the "sweet" cutsey bullshit.

In general more mature female characters would be welcome.
Jul 22, 2016 7:10 AM

Apr 2015
TiaDee said:
kamisama751 said:

Awwwwww god. You got me. I give up. :D

Neah, not yet, let's wait for You for some actual examples (I'm actually curious of good yanderes as well).

Look at the 2nd top of my favorite characters list :P
also:

As an avid doujin reader I know that Yanderes are good stereotypes.
Jul 22, 2016 7:25 AM
Sep 2015
@You
Well don't know any of those characters so can't argue if they are indeed good yanderes, but I'll give some of those shows from your list a try and see, so thanks for the recs^^
Jul 22, 2016 7:27 AM

Apr 2013
Jul 22, 2016 7:40 AM

Apr 2015
kamisama751 said:
You said:

Look at the 2nd top of my favorite characters list :P
also:

As an avid doujin reader I know that Yanderes are good stereotypes.

Which character in your top list? The second one is a male (so a male tsundere?).
1. Sakura is just a kitchen waifu so far. Don't know how she makes a good yandere character and is she even one? Heaven's feel might answer this.
2. Who the heck is that?
3. Who the heck is that?
4. Who the heck is that?
5. Who the heck is that?
6. Who the heck is that?

Yes a male yandere.
1. Yes it's on HF
2. Mayu Sakuma from Imas
3. Pandora from P&D
4-6. Doujin character
TiaDee said:
@You
Well don't know any of those characters so can't argue if they are indeed good yanderes, but I'll give some of those shows from your list a try and see, so thanks for the recs^^
Give it a look hehe ^^
Jul 22, 2016 8:31 AM

Feb 2015
I don't like them that much. They are the most stereotypical females, when it comes to actually strong/capable characters.
Jul 22, 2016 8:51 AM
Sep 2015
JonasTheJay said:
I don't like them that much. They are the most stereotypical females, when it comes to actually strong/capable characters.

Hmm, I agree that they're somewhat cliché when it comes to villains that also happen to be female (the writers were like, how can we make an evil female? What would be her motives, her assets? I know! We'll say her motives are mysterious and her asset will be her sex appeal, done!) and female that have seduction as their strength are far more common than let's say a character like Hawke from FMAB that who is known for her professionalism, devotion and discipline. But to go as far as claim that femme fatale are the most stereotypical female characters, I'm sorry, I can't agree with such an uninformed statement.
Keep in mind that femme fatale characters were made popular by film noir and detective stories (there were femme fatale before that as well, but nowhere near as many and as developed as a trope as the noir era) which is just last century stuff, so what kind of female characters did people use to write all those centuries before that? Even if you consider it just from a chronological pov and it can't be considered the most stereotypical type female character ever (not to mention it's nowhere near the most famous either).
So yeah, long story short, is it somewhat cliché? Yes. Is it the most stereotypical type of female characters? No.
Jul 22, 2016 9:07 AM
Dec 2015
Omni_slash95 said:
We need more Femme Fatale's in anime, fucking tired of the same old generic archtypes (tsundere, yandere etc.) & especially the "sweet" cutsey bullshit.

In general more mature female characters would be welcome.

THANK YOU! exactly what we need :)

im tired of seeing lolis too
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2016 9:38 AM

Nov 2015
Does Yuno Gasai count?
Also I'm sure Code Geass has plenty of those.

Also not to forget this supple beast:

You said:

@TheDeadApostle
Jul 22, 2016 9:42 AM

Mar 2016
@-Stabbed-

She's shit. But at least her fatale form is better than her normal form.
Jul 22, 2016 9:57 AM

Feb 2015
TiaDee said:
JonasTheJay said:

Hmm, I agree that they're somewhat cliché when it comes to villains that also happen to be female (the writers were like, how can we make an evil female? What would be her motives, her assets? I know! We'll say her motives are mysterious and her asset will be her sex appeal, done!) and female that have seduction as their strength are far more common than let's say a character like Hawke from FMAB that who is known for her professionalism, devotion and discipline. But to go as far as claim that femme fatale are the most stereotypical female characters, I'm sorry, I can't agree with such an uninformed statement.
Keep in mind that femme fatale characters were made popular by film noir and detective stories (there were femme fatale before that as well, but nowhere near as many and as developed as a trope as the noir era) which is just last century stuff, so what kind of female characters did people use to write all those centuries before that? Even if you consider it just from a chronological pov and it can't be considered the most stereotypical type female character ever (not to mention it's nowhere near the most famous either).
So yeah, long story short, is it somewhat cliché? Yes. Is it the most stereotypical type of female characters? No.

No, I meant the most stereotypical type of strong females. I know that the dere types and all that stuff are much more common if you just look at female characters in general. But if you look only at strong or courageous females, then the femme fatal things seems to be a bit too popular. I guess I just don't really like overly seductive characters.
Jul 22, 2016 10:06 AM
Aug 2014
kamisama751 said:
You said:

Because you probably only know Yuno Gasai as a yandere and noone else.

Then mentionsome good yanderes. If I think they are good yanderes then I give up.

Kazuki Hoshino is the best yandere.
Jul 22, 2016 10:29 AM
Sep 2015
JonasTheJay said:

No, I meant the most stereotypical type of strong females. I know that the dere types and all that stuff are much more common if you just look at female characters in general. But if you look only at strong or courageous females, then the femme fatal things seems to be a bit too popular. I guess I just don't really like overly seductive characters.

Hmm, fair enough, different strokes for different folks I guess. Still out of curiosity, what's your favourite type of female characters?
Jul 22, 2016 11:04 AM

May 2016
kamisama751 said:
Well, I am going to check out Heaven's feel for sure.

You really should. If I had to rank each arc, they would be as follows:

The Fate route is the single worst piece of fiction ever written by a human being. 0/10.

Unlimited Blade Works, well, works a lot better in both of its anime incarnations than it ever did as a visual novel story. Yay dull internal monologues in the middle of the action-oriented arc. 5/10.

Heaven's Feel, on the other hand, was pretty fan-fuckin'-tastic all the way through. Shirou is still kind of dumb, but he's way better than in the other two routes, and I actually felt some emotional investment! 9/10.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 22, 2016 11:25 AM

Apr 2013
They are too strong and independent for Otaku's taste, sadly
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jul 22, 2016 11:43 AM
Sep 2015
@Zelkiiro
I heard from VN Fans that it's supposed to be even darker than F/Z (which I absolutely loved) so I'm actually willing to surpass my DNA ingrained hate for Shirou (he's just so easy to hate) for the sake of this route. Last time I checked Ufotable was going to turn the route into movies, do you know if it's still true and if it's going to happen any time soon?

YayaChibi said:
I personally don't mind them, as long as they are well developed, designed, and executed. I especially prefer them in video games rather than anime and western cartoons. I like them even better when they have a steampunk design, like in BioShock.

So you basically get wet for Elizabeth in Burial at Sea (sharing the sentiment myself, haha)
Well let me think, there's:
  • Chloe Frazer from Uncharted series
  • Mona Sax from Max Pain
  • Viktoria in Thief The Dark Project
  • Morrigon from Dragon Age Origins (though she's more fatale than seductive :p)

Those are the only ones I can think of. I guess there's Miranda from Mass Effect as well, though imo she lacks the seductive charm of a proper femme fatale character (still dat catsuit).
Jul 22, 2016 12:16 PM

Oct 2015
JonasTheJay said:

convinced me.

So it is I just like them.
I like them even more, when they are not fully femme fatale, but have more on offer than playing the seductive card all the time, or when they could rely on their seductive charm, but do not because not even needed/ find that below themselves... (eg. classic games' Lara Croft)

-------------------
for the collection/ completeness sake :
There is one side character maybe could be called "femme fatale" in one (or two?) episode(s) of Samurai Champloo : http://myanimelist.net/character/411/Budoukiba

She is not that much full/ full-cliché "fatale", mainly because she actually just wants to play some...

PS - Please someone solid in English language go and replace the "feline" with whatever the correct term (effeminate? I am not sure.) here : http://myanimelist.net/character/406/Moronobu_Hishikawa
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jul 22, 2016 6:33 PM

May 2016
TiaDee said:
@Zelkiiro
I heard from VN Fans that it's supposed to be even darker than F/Z (which I absolutely loved) so I'm actually willing to surpass my DNA ingrained hate for Shirou (he's just so easy to hate) for the sake of this route. Last time I checked Ufotable was going to turn the route into movies, do you know if it's still true and if it's going to happen any time soon?

Heaven's Feel is darker in content than Fate/Zero, but not so much in tone--Fate/Zero got pretty fuckin' bleak--and while I wouldn't say it's as good as Fate/Zero, it's the only route that even comes close. And coming close to perfection is admirable in and of itself.

And yes, ufotable is still going to make a film trilogy out of Heaven's Feel. I'd have preferred another full-length TV series, myself, but I ain't about to turn up my nose at it.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 22, 2016 8:31 PM

Sep 2013
How has nobody mentioned Hitagi Senjogahara yet? She's beautiful and dangerous as hell!

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

135 by -YaoiBoy- »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
12 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 31 minutes ago

2 by LightWorker »»
12 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 7 hours ago

23 by Horshu »»
13 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

47 by traed »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.